BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-07-09 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2273350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
wurkit_gurl - 2009-07-09 10:19 AM

Cool - things still going well with the knee? Have fun on your bike ride

i think after my race on sunday i will take a week or two off from running to see if it improves. if not i may have to go see my ortho doc again, and he will not be especially happy to see me again. so any wisdom on an ows? i know that by making it out of the water i will be able to finish the race. i just dont want to panic in the water. just swim a nice relaxed ows with my wave. thanks.

2009-07-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2273526

wplummer - 2009-07-09 2:03 PM i think after my race on sunday i will take a week or two off from running to see if it improves. if not i may have to go see my ortho doc again, and he will not be especially happy to see me again. so any wisdom on an ows? i know that by making it out of the water i will be able to finish the race. i just dont want to panic in the water. just swim a nice relaxed ows with my wave. thanks.

Start to the back and to the outside of the group. That way as people surge forward you won't get pummelled. Take it nice and slow and remember to BREATHE. If you start to panic, SLOW DOWN, switch to breast stroke until you can go back to freestyle. Don't forget to sight - even if that means you have to breastroke to do it. Just take your time and try to find a nice easy rhythm. I am around all weekend and check my email a lot so if you think of something between now and Sunday that you are panicky about, just PM me I'll be here tomorrow as well.

2009-07-12 7:35 PM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
well good news i made it out of the water, pedaled my a$$ off on the bike leg, and ran\walk the 5k run. the ows is definitely different that repetitive laps in the pool plus there are no kelp beds to navigate. i survived the water found my bike and hit the road. the only issue was losing my water bottle in the first three miles-i just couldnt get that salt water taste out of my mouth. it was two laps with some good rollers throw in. the weather helped it was 77 and overcast the entire race. when i left my house to drive down to carlsbad it was 105. so a nice change. the run was a great challenge-trying to do my 2 min run\1 min walk worked good. i didnt think about my knee just enjoying the moment. i finished with a smile.
2009-07-13 7:27 AM

Yay, congrats Will!!! Haha, sorry about the kelp beds!! I raced in a lake once that had a bunch of water plant things floating in it - got them tangled on my arm once or twice. Kind of annoying. But glad you finished, and glad to hear the knee held up! So, are you searching for your next race yet?

2009-07-13 10:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
yes i am. the 70.3 race in oceanside for march 2010. a good friends brother is planning on doing the race,and my wife has given the green light on it. i want to do another race before then, but i do have 7 months until the race.
2009-07-13 10:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA

2009-07-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2280878

wplummer - 2009-07-13 11:17 AM yes i am. the 70.3 race in oceanside for march 2010. a good friends brother is planning on doing the race,and my wife has given the green light on it. i want to do another race before then, but i do have 7 months until the race.

Wow, way to step it up!! Train smart - I know there are some good plans here on BT.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29