Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-01-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
OK, I'm hearing you guys.  So I just had a flash...What happens is I have been in the mode of 1800 to 2500cals that I have a routine of eating...my resting met. is about 2000.  So I am in a weight loss mode all the time - IF I WEREN'T DOING ANYTHING ELSE ALL DAY.  But then I go and burn 1000 to 2000 more.  So I am always in real calorie deficit.   But I wind up late at night and start adding up the cals burned and eaten and by then it is too late to do anything about it.  What I need to do is estimate in the morning the calories I plan to burn that day in workouts from my coach's plan and set out a plan to consume the target all day long.  Duh.  That way I can plan ahead to eat cals for the workout, before, during and after.  God, I can be really stupid sometimes.  

2011-01-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3314350

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2011-01-21 6:55 PM I have been really happy with my plan as I am combining marathon training with triathlon.  One question though - The way my plan worked out is that my down week for triathlon training is coming on a 13 mile long run for marathon training.  Next week is the opposite as my traithlon training increases but my marathon training goes down.  I kind of like that as I thin kit balances it out but I am wondering if I should just have one straight week of both being a down week?  Thoughts?

razorxp - 2011-01-20 10:18 PM Keith I will keep my eyes open......So we are a few weeks into everyones training.
How are you feeling? Any questions in your plans? Too hard/easy

That is a tough question, what is race is more important to you?  I guess if they are equal I would get them on the same schedule as your not really resting your legs if your biking hard. Your body will never get the full recovery week.  You have to build down weeks every 3/4 weeks.
2011-01-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3314100

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
razorxp - 2011-01-21 4:33 PM Hi Deb, what exactly is cheekey monkey???? lol Just wondering

Of course my in no better...  Old nickname razor and I used to race jetski's (seado xp) So I Just combined them.

LOL It's a British saying most often used when refering to a child. I guess it's like being a 'sassy child'. It's normally used in an endearing way.
2011-01-21 8:43 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Scott, your daily calories should go with your workouts.  If your going extra long as in IM training (5-7hrs is not un common) you will need to ramp up.  If you just eat your 2k your body will be eating all your muscle.  I don't try to replace all of them as I get some on the ride/run but I do try to get alot of them.   For someone my size 5-7K in one day is not uncommon and I'm still under cals. 

On a side note for everyone just remember alot of the machines and HR monitors are VERY high when estimating calories burned.  So don't put that number in stone.  If my garmin/polar/timex says 1000 cals, I assume its more like 750.  They are like speedometers on a scooter they want you to think your flying.  The devices give alittle false hope. 

2011-01-21 8:44 PM
in reply to: #3314578

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-21 9:36 PM
razorxp - 2011-01-21 4:33 PM Hi Deb, what exactly is cheekey monkey???? lol Just wondering

Of course my in no better...  Old nickname razor and I used to race jetski's (seado xp) So I Just combined them.

LOL It's a British saying most often used when refering to a child. I guess it's like being a 'sassy child'. It's normally used in an endearing way.

Cool, I had no idea!! lol 

Edited by razorxp 2011-01-21 8:45 PM
2011-01-21 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Sweet I have a long run tomorrow and it will be about 10 deg with a 5deg  w/c.   Anyone want to run outside with me??? or for me..lol

2011-01-21 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
I watched the 10 commandments - Interesting stuff. I am going to try and divy up my food a little more.

'So we are a few weeks into everyones training.
How are you feeling? Any questions in your plans? Too hard/easy"

hhhmm My 'official' 20 week training plan starts a week on Monday, so I guess everyting I am doing now is leading up to it and my HM which is in 4 weeks. I still have serious worries about getting enough time/mileage in on the bike / run  (I know, I know -  'just do the plan' I did hear you - doesn't stop me worrying - the people who say that most likely do NOT do 11 mm and 16 mph rides)

Did nothing today. Yet another snowy day - 7 inches. Have a 10 mile run planned for tomorrow AM. I'll be out there a while so I am going to try some 'run nutrition'. I have a choice between 'shot bloks', or 'hammer gel', both of which look pretty gruesome. I am expecting to use it around an hour into the run and see what happens.
2011-01-21 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3314601

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

razorxp - 2011-01-21 9:55 PM Sweet I have a long run tomorrow and it will be about 10 deg with a 5deg  w/c.   Anyone want to run outside with me??? or for me..lol

Hey coach - I guess I should be running outside a bit more  - can you give me an example or idea - how many in door compared to outdoor runs a week in the winter - brr it is cold out there LOL

2011-01-21 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3314612

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-21 10:04 PM I watched the 10 commandments - Interesting stuff. I am going to try and divy up my food a little more.

hhhmm My 'official' 20 week training plan starts a week on Monday, so I guess everyting I am doing now is leading up to it and my HM which is in 4 weeks. I still have serious worries about getting enough time/mileage in on the bike / run  (I know, I know -  'just do the plan' I did hear you - doesn't stop me worrying - the people who say that most likely do NOT do 11 mm and 16 mph rides)

Did nothing today. Yet another snowy day - 7 inches. Have a 10 mile run planned for tomorrow AM. I'll be out there a while so I am going to try some 'run nutrition'. I have a choice between 'shot bloks', or 'hammer gel', both of which look pretty gruesome. I am expecting to use it around an hour into the run and see what happens.

If possible try to eat something before the run just as you would before a race.  Try to eat a couple hrs before the run to see how it sets in your stomach.
2011-01-21 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3314614

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2011-01-21 10:05 PM

razorxp - 2011-01-21 9:55 PM Sweet I have a long run tomorrow and it will be about 10 deg with a 5deg  w/c.   Anyone want to run outside with me??? or for me..lol

Hey coach - I guess I should be running outside a bit more  - can you give me an example or idea - how many in door compared to outdoor runs a week in the winter - brr it is cold out there LOL

I would do all my runs inside if I didn't get shin splints on the dreadmill.  Once it hits 30 Im ok.. Plus this ice we have is terrible.  Don't worry about running indoors, just always have atleast 1.5 deg of incline. 
2011-01-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: #3314618

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
razorxp - 2011-01-21 10:11 PM
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-21 10:04 PM I watched the 10 commandments - Interesting stuff. I am going to try and divy up my food a little more.

If possible try to eat something before the run just as you would before a race.  Try to eat a couple hrs before the run to see how it sets in your stomach.

I don't normally eat anything before a race either. Embarassed

My run is at 6:30 am so I likely won't be eating anything a couple of hours before hand. Would half an hour still do the trick? Or is that cutting it too close?  Should I do the shot bloks then too or some 'real food'?

2011-01-21 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3314632

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I would eat something before even if its a granola bar/bagel/peanut butter toast/ powerbar  pretty much anything with energy. Should not start race on empty stomach and dehydrated due to nights sleep.

2011-01-21 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3314601

User image

Expert
Seeing as that I will be doing 13 on Sunday morning I will pass on a Saturday run -lol

razorxp - 2011-01-21 8:55 PM Sweet I have a long run tomorrow and it will be about 10 deg with a 5deg  w/c.   Anyone want to run outside with me??? or for me..lol
2011-01-21 11:36 PM

User image

Expert
So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

In 2008 during my marathon training when I hit around 18-20 miles a week running I would start to get these heart palpatations.  Kind of felt like I was going down a roller coaster and I would get them sometimes every 30 seconds.  I ended up in the ER twice with each time them telling me I was healthy as a horse and had a resting heart rate of a professional athlete in the low 50's.  Needless to say I was extremely worried and it wrecked my training in 2008.  i figured I was going to drop at any time during a run.

So after the marathon and my training subsided they went away.  Training for 2009 started and when I hit 18-20 miles a week they started again.  Went to ER and same results.  Went to a cardiologist and did a 24 hour monitor, echo cardiogram and stress tests.  Everything came out fine.  But during my last visit they had me hooked up to an EKG and I told the doc I was experiencing it and they were able to catch it.  I was diagnosed with a benign irregular heartbeat and I guess they call it a PVC (Premature Ventricular Contraction).  Doctor said I should be able to continue training and would prescribe meds if I couldn't tolerate it anymore.  I felt a littel better that I was diagnosed with something and just considered it "normal".

After the 2009 chicago Marathon I started triathlon training.  I was pushing myself way harder than marathon training and did not get one episode of these heart beats for the past year.

Well last night I started getting them and have had them all day today and guess what?  I ran 19.5 miles last week.  It is really weird that I only get these from running!  My wife hinted she wants me to stop training for the marathon but I feel fine.  Not really sure what to do?  I am going to schedule another apointment with doctor and I am also going to talk with my drummers dad who is a cardiologist.  We will see what happens.  I was really excited about this marathon and am 99% sure that nothing will happen but its the 1% that is in the back of my mind.  I would never do anything that would harm me but I am just baffled why the running a certain distance per week triggers this.Frown
2011-01-22 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3312602

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
Dave-My training is going great.  One of my goals was to run consistant 12 minute miles for at least two miles.  Well I am under that (aroiund 10:30) and I don't feel overly gassed after. This week will be a good test as I add a little more time.  Pumped to keep going.
2011-01-22 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3314762

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
tmoran80 - 2011-01-22 12:36 AM So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

In 2008 during my marathon training when I hit around 18-20 miles a week running I would start to get these heart palpatations.  Kind of felt like I was going down a roller coaster and I would get them sometimes every 30 seconds.  I ended up in the ER twice with each time them telling me I was healthy as a horse and had a resting heart rate of a professional athlete in the low 50's.  Needless to say I was extremely worried and it wrecked my training in 2008.  i figured I was going to drop at any time during a run.

So after the marathon and my training subsided they went away.  Training for 2009 started and when I hit 18-20 miles a week they started again.  Went to ER and same results.  Went to a cardiologist and did a 24 hour monitor, echo cardiogram and stress tests.  Everything came out fine.  But during my last visit they had me hooked up to an EKG and I told the doc I was experiencing it and they were able to catch it.  I was diagnosed with a benign irregular heartbeat and I guess they call it a PVC (Premature Ventricular Contraction).  Doctor said I should be able to continue training and would prescribe meds if I couldn't tolerate it anymore.  I felt a littel better that I was diagnosed with something and just considered it "normal".

After the 2009 chicago Marathon I started triathlon training.  I was pushing myself way harder than marathon training and did not get one episode of these heart beats for the past year.

Well last night I started getting them and have had them all day today and guess what?  I ran 19.5 miles last week.  It is really weird that I only get these from running!  My wife hinted she wants me to stop training for the marathon but I feel fine.  Not really sure what to do?  I am going to schedule another apointment with doctor and I am also going to talk with my drummers dad who is a cardiologist.  We will see what happens.  I was really excited about this marathon and am 99% sure that nothing will happen but its the 1% that is in the back of my mind.  I would never do anything that would harm me but I am just baffled why the running a certain distance per week triggers this.Frown

Good Morning. Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you have the right attitude about it. I would trust my doctors and seeking the advice of the cardiologist is probably the best idea. Just do what you did the first time - keep looking until you have the answer. Good luck and keep us posted.
KC

2011-01-22 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3314870

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-22 7:47 AM Dave-My training is going great.  One of my goals was to run consistant 12 minute miles for at least two miles.  Well I am under that (aroiund 10:30) and I don't feel overly gassed after. This week will be a good test as I add a little more time.  Pumped to keep going.

Awesome - Keep it going Smile
2011-01-22 8:02 AM

User image

Veteran
tmoran80 - 2011-01-21 11:36 PM So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

do you get them during the run or only randomly?
2011-01-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3314632

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-01-21 10:26 PM
razorxp - 2011-01-21 10:11 PM

Hope your run went well today.
KC

I don't normally eat anything before a race either. Embarassed

My run is at 6:30 am so I likely won't be eating anything a couple of hours before hand. Would half an hour still do the trick? Or is that cutting it too close?  Should I do the shot bloks then too or some 'real food'?
2011-01-22 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2011-01-21 11:36 PM So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

Years ago I was on track to be a doctor.  Premed student, biochemistry, scholoarship to med school.  Then I decided the world had other ills a doctor couldn't fix.  I became a community organizer and then a journalist fighting for truth, justice and the world way (One planet, one people.)  Somewhere along the way I gave up the right to give medical advice. 

The human body is a wonderful machine.  But a sensitive one.  Little things can toss it off.  A loss of electrolytes.  Not enough cals.  Not enough of the right vitamins, with calcium and phosphate being key for muscles like the heart.   Diet can toss it off.  Too much sweating without enough focus on replacing important chemicals can toss it off.  So that's why they make doctors and machines to measure heart efficiency.  My advice is if you feel like you need to go to a doctor you probably should. 

Once in a very great while I will feel my heart go boom, boom boomla boom, and then go back into tempo.  Usually it is after a very long exertion.  I take it as my heart hitting a reset switch and recalibrating my electric pulses. I'm good with that.  One day my heart will stop.  I don't want it any time soon, but it will.  I'm also good with that.  Cancer and aging puts things in perspective.

OK, going to figure out cal prediction for today and my fueling needs.  This is NEW!

Then 90 minute low rpm high power workout with 3 X 15 min climbs.  Then 45 mins of speed work on the treadmill.

Loving this.  If I drop dead doing it, tell people I died doing what I love.  And I couldn't have been happier.  

2011-01-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3314985

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
IceManScott - 2011-01-22 9:58 AM

Years ago I was on track to be a doctor.  Premed student, biochemistry, scholoarship to med school.  Then I decided the world had other ills a doctor couldn't fix.  I became a community organizer and then a journalist fighting for truth, justice and the world way (One planet, one people.)  Somewhere along the way I gave up the right to give medical advice. 

The human body is a wonderful machine.  But a sensitive one.  Little things can toss it off.  A loss of electrolytes.  Not enough cals.  Not enough of the right vitamins, with calcium and phosphate being key for muscles like the heart.   Diet can toss it off.  Too much sweating without enough focus on replacing important chemicals can toss it off.  So that's why they make doctors and machines to measure heart efficiency.  My advice is if you feel like you need to go to a doctor you probably should. 

Once in a very great while I will feel my heart go boom, boom boomla boom, and then go back into tempo.  Usually it is after a very long exertion.  I take it as my heart hitting a reset switch and recalibrating my electric pulses. I'm good with that.  One day my heart will stop.  I don't want it any time soon, but it will.  I'm also good with that.  Cancer and aging puts things in perspective.

OK, going to figure out cal prediction for today and my fueling needs.  This is NEW!

Then 90 minute low rpm high power workout with 3 X 15 min climbs.  Then 45 mins of speed work on the treadmill.

Loving this.  If I drop dead doing it, tell people I died doing what I love.  And I couldn't have been happier.  

Thanks Scott - but do me a favour - can you hang around for a while - I like reading your advice and you motivate me Smile
KC

2011-01-22 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
I had a good, easy paced ride this morning and I have a question for all you cold weather people.  How do you stop your nose from running in the cold?  I get lost in my breathing pattern from my nose running and it drives me crazy!  I think  I could get more accommplished if I could breath right (in nose/out mouth)  
What is your suggestions for a bike trainer..fluid or magnetic? For a newbie with limited resources?

Kevin-You keep up the good work to and stay warm. 
2011-01-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3314870

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
ltcsh1 - 2011-01-22 7:47 AM Dave-My training is going great.  One of my goals was to run consistant 12 minute miles for at least two miles.  Well I am under that (aroiund 10:30) and I don't feel overly gassed after. This week will be a good test as I add a little more time.  Pumped to keep going.

That is great, now every weekl extend the run from 2 miles to 2.2 to 2.5, 2.8.  Just slowly build up to a longer run. Normal rule of thumb is 10% per week increase.  Keep up the good work.
2011-01-22 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2011-01-22 12:36 AM So this might be a long post but it is kind of a long story - sorry

Well last night I started getting them and have had them all day today and guess what?  I ran 19.5 miles last week.  It is really weird that I only get these from running!  My wife hinted she wants me to stop training for the marathon but I feel fine.  Not really sure what to do?  I am going to schedule another appointment with doctor and I am also going to talk with my drummers dad who is a cardiologist.  We will see what happens.  I was really excited about this marathon and am 99% sure that nothing will happen but its the 1% that is in the back of my mind.  I would never do anything that would harm me but I am just baffled why the running a certain distance per week triggers this.Frown

A good friend of mine had a similar issue, but he would actually pass out.  His spells hit while driving/running or pretty much anytime they wanted.  He wore the machine for a week with no help. This has been 2 years and they still are not positive of what it is.  Last I heard he went from perfect glucose levels to diabetic in a month, they are hoping thats what was causing it. 

My only advice is no marathon/triathlon or training is worth your life/family/kids.  I don't listen very well to docs when it comes to training (bones/muscles) but when it comes to life threatening I listen (and I live with a MD lol).  Did you ever get on the meds?
2011-01-22 11:03 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Off to the pool Smile

Have a great day everyone.

KC
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76