BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-06-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3544602

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Subject: RE: BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE!

stevebradley - 2011-06-12 10:41 AM Does this mean you are eyeing a few tris, and just haven't shared with us yet?

There is a tri this month that I have done for the past 3 years but I'll be on vacation during that time.  This year, I decided that I would try doing maintenance training throughout the summer, start ramping up my training in the fall and winter so hopefully I'll be ready for early races in the spring.  It's just that my "maintenance" period has been a bit longer since I'm refocusing my schedule ... if that makes sense. 

It's funny ... I decided to start training for a tri a few years ago to give myself a goal so I'd get out and exercise/train.  In a way, it made the exercise/training a bit of a "chore".  Now, I can get out and "enjoy" the exercising/training because I'm just able to do it for it's own merit.  I'm going to start training with a RRCA certified running coach in September (or possibly a bit earlier).  The plans for now are 10 for Texas (10 miler) in October (the one I got so frustrated with myself last year), St Jude's half in December, Houston half in January (if we get in by lottery), Woodlands half (full?, we'll see how things are going at that time) in March.  There is a sprint tri that I've done before in October, and I'm eyeing a couple of new tris in the fall as well.  Then hopefully an olympic race or two in the spring.  My masters swim team is trying to get me to participate in a meet this summer, so that might be a possibility as well.  I'm so happy that I took the "plunge" (ha) with this group.  It's so much more fun than going to swim laps at the gym pool or in my fishbowl at home.

And nice pics from your race this weekend!

LISA

2011-06-14 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3547481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
LadyNorth - 2011-06-13 9:05 PM

I got to swim in the 50 meter pool.  And the treadmills each had their own tv screen - that was way cool.  The rest of you have probably seen those but in northern MN we don't have them. Denise

DENISE, you don't need a 50 meter pool to swim in or treadmill with TV.  You have beautiful lakes to swim in and good roads to run (and bike) on with nice scenery.  I'm not jealous (or bitter) at all Wink!

LISA

2011-06-14 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3435045

User image

Alaska

I believe I had mentioned in my earlier posts that I am doing some mountain running. With all the mention of Age Group placement, I have to share a story from this past weekend. A group of us went to Seward to practice hiking/running Mt. Marathon, it is a 3,022' vertical ascent and descent (Check out this detailed map).

In the group, we had youngest 23 and oldest 82. It was awesome. The 82yr old has completed this mountain race, I believe he said 12 times. They had to create a new age group category in this race when he turned 80! During our training run, he was not the slowest and showed as much strength as the rest of us. We finished up and down in 1 hour 50 min. Though when going at race pace it is faster and we stopped and regrouped a few times along the route, I was totally impressed with this 82 yr old hiking the mountain. He is amazing.

And his wife had completed a 5 mile race placing 3rd in her age group that morning. It was the Alaska Run for Women, with 7,200 women  participating, she actually thought she might place higher but was surprised to find there were 4 people in her 80-98 age group! She was the youngest in the age group at 80 and the oldest was 83. (She does not run the mountain.)

This couple not only did these events that day but also did the driving to and from Seward, a 2 hr drive. Many times I feel that would be too much for me! I was honored to be with them.

These people are an inspiration!

2011-06-14 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3545405

User image

Alaska

stevebradley - 2011-06-12 7:23 PM JESSICA/TRICHIC again - Again? After about 11 hours, does "again" pertain? ANYHOW, those various ear plugs are at www.tri-zone.com. Click on swim gear, and then accessories, and up they'll pop. The Tyr ones are indeed silicone, and a box of four costs a mere $2.95. The Mack's ones I mentioned are the flange ones, at $3.95/pair. And they also carry mack's silicopne ones, same price as the Tyr. I have used Tri-Zone since 2000, and their service is always superb. If you order tomorrow, you should have plugs by Wednesday. Hope this helps!

I second the recommendation on the Mack earplugs. I actually use the childrens size, tho they are that bright orange color.

I dont usually get dizzy but have experienced a feeling of a slight loss of equilibrium a few of times so tried the earplugs and was surprised on how much they helped. So I wear them in all my open water swims now.

2011-06-15 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3547481

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Yeah, I was just being an effete eastern intellectual snob (remember when that chowderhead Spiro Agnew made that comment??) when I dissed Iowa City. However, I don't think I knew that I.W.W. happened there....so how intellectual can I really be?

I'd like to know how many first-rate writers have attended that. It must be about 70%, I would guess. Maybe in my next life.....were I am writer!!

Did you thrill at the 50m pool? Pretty unique approach to lane-swimming, huh?

2011-06-15 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3548073

User image

Champion

LISA -

Good post just on its own, and more aopproeciati=ed by me because now I have a vision as to what you are up to!

The "just on its own" part comes from the first paragraph pertaining to protracted maintenance training, which is good advice/information for any of us. Too often we all get caught up in The Race Season, and ignore all other concerns in our life -- which in your own case requies a refocusing of your schedule. I have had toimes in which I should've refocused things.....but I am one of those who eatslseepsdrinksbreathes a typical Race Season schedule. While that approach works most years, sometimes it is doomed to much frustration and failure. I am appreciative of how you express you own current situation, as it encourages me to be more open-minded about my own. (Which I am currently working through, BTW, so your thoughts REALLY help!)

It's also good to hear your expression of what was once a chore now being something that can be appraoched and enjoyed on its own merits. Excellent! Outstanding! Ultimately, it doesn't get much better than that!

Run coach? Great idea! That should reap some big and quick benefits, and wil serve you very, very well with the run-race schedule you are carving for yourself. Great timing!

Swim meet! DO IT!!!!! That said, I have never done one, but hear that Masters ones are a blast, and highly addictive -- especially if you do them as part of a team or group. I guess they will warn you about the swim-studs who do nothing but swim and can knock oiff some incredible times at a fairly advanced age, and to not be intimidated by the stellarness. I suppose it's that way in any race discipline, but for me who finds the swim a bit more challenging, I would need to keep a healthy perspective on the competition!

When is Woodlands? If you can do St.Judes and then Houston, depending on when Woodlands is I think you could be ready for the full 26.2. You have enough experience at H-M to be ready to go up to a full marathon if that's what youe head/heart want to do. And having a running coaching will only improve your ability to do that! It's a nice plan to contemplate -- kind of rarified air, thinking about that, huh?

2011-06-15 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3548830

User image

Champion

VERONICA -

Great story about those oldsters! My goal, of course, is to be like them in another 20 years....but as I staggewr around some these last couple of months wuill a few injury woes, I have my doubts. Well, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for as long as I can, and maybe before I know it I too wil be 82! (Um, does that qualify as "be careful what you wish for"?? )

THat sounds really fast -- up AND down in under two hours? I'm impressed with YOU for being able to do that. Mercy!

Your term of "loss of equilibrium" works for cold-water problems. I guess i have had both -- loss of equilibrium and plain old dizziness. Neither is much fun --- and makes me wonder how difficult life would be if under the influence of full-blown vertigo. There but for the grace of.........

2011-06-15 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Steve,

Looked at your pics.  Great muscle definition in the run pics.  I've never seen such big numbers and never on the front of the arm - mine have always been on the shoulder and/or back of leg.

Denise

2011-06-15 8:05 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine

Hello everyone!!

What a busy week!  Sounds like everyone has been busy with work, life, and training!

I am going to the Fireman Ironman Camp in Lake Placid this weekend.  Should be a hoot. I am leaving tomorrow AM and will try to get to LP in time to swim 1 loop of the course.  Will swim 2 loops of the course Friday.  Then Saturday I am biking 2 loops of the course, practicing nutrition and pacing - following that up with a run off the bike (~4miles).  

Then on Sun AM I will be running 20 miles on the race course - then driving home.  This should guarantee that I will not be able to walk by the time I get home from that 7-8hr drive.  I am deviating from the camp a little in that they have a 2 loop swim mass start on Sunday at 8:30 followed by a long run - but I hope to be on the road by that day and home in time to give dad a hug for Father's Day.

AND in other news.....

I signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant 2012!!! Surprised 

Mandy

2011-06-15 9:34 PM

winnipeg, MB

Thanks for sharing the story, that kind of inspiration is exactly what I needed today

For the last 15 days that I've been unemployed I increased all my physical activities and as result of that I'm constantly tired. Tired to the point that I'm falling asleep 10 minutes after I sit on the couch. And that happens at any time of the day. Even a few hours after waking up I'm already tired.

Now instead of being 10+ hours a day sitting in front of a computer, I'm training 2-3 hours a day plus I painted my kitchen, today I started sanding the exterior window frames and converting an old sewing machine into a table. All those activities require a lot of bending, stretching, ups and downs which I'm not used to do.

Today, I went to a strength training session first and when I got to the pool I was already too tired. I did swim 20 laps though but with a lot of effort. Maybe I will get to the next race very tired, and maybe all this is not for me, but then I read your story, and of course I can do it. My body just needs some adjustments that's all! I admire people who has not only the physical but also mental strength to keep going no matter the age.

AKtri - 2011-06-14 2:01 PM

I believe I had mentioned in my earlier posts that I am doing some mountain running. With all the mention of Age Group placement, I have to share a story from this past weekend. A group of us went to Seward to practice hiking/running Mt. Marathon, it is a 3,022' vertical ascent and descent (Check out this detailed map).

In the group, we had youngest 23 and oldest 82. It was awesome. The 82yr old has completed this mountain race, I believe he said 12 times. They had to create a new age group category in this race when he turned 80! During our training run, he was not the slowest and showed as much strength as the rest of us. We finished up and down in 1 hour 50 min. Though when going at race pace it is faster and we stopped and regrouped a few times along the route, I was totally impressed with this 82 yr old hiking the mountain. He is amazing.

And his wife had completed a 5 mile race placing 3rd in her age group that morning. It was the Alaska Run for Women, with 7,200 women  participating, she actually thought she might place higher but was surprised to find there were 4 people in her 80-98 age group! She was the youngest in the age group at 80 and the oldest was 83. (She does not run the mountain.)

This couple not only did these events that day but also did the driving to and from Seward, a 2 hr drive. Many times I feel that would be too much for me! I was honored to be with them.

2011-06-15 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3551492

winnipeg, MB

Mandy

Hey, Congratulations! I did not now about that race, but then I just googled it and it looks like it will be the first one. That means that we are going to have two ironman events in Canada now.

2011-06-15 9:56 PM
in reply to: #3541937

winnipeg, MB

yeah, you are right. I'm not competitive at all but I like numbers a lot And probably because of my inexperience I feel I'll be the dead last one to complete the race. Which wouldn't bother me at all, my goal is to cross the finish line and to know my times so later next year I should have a better time... as you said: relative to myself

Actually, now that I'm rethinking what I wrote, maybe I wouldn't want to be the absolutely last one. However, that is better than not finishing, and not finishing is always better than not even trying. So I guess on those lines even being the last one is still an accomplishment...

And I shouldn't forget that this all started to lose weight, have a healtier life and get into the 80s as the couple of Veronica's story below 

junthank - 2011-06-09 10:33 PM

Sandra,

One of the most valuable lessons I have been taught is "there will always be somebody faster, we can't win that game.  If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts. So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.

I'm a competitive guy so that comment help me a out a lot.  Now I don't worry about how fast I'm going relative to other people.  I focus on looking at my improvements over time.

sanl - 2011-06-09 6:55 PM

Hey! Make a quick trip to Ottawa between now and then! I have a couple of great OWS spots I can take you to!

Yesterday I swam 1km in 31:52 I know it is slow but what I don't know is how slow I am.

Thinking out loud I just answered my own question: I'm slower than the average, which I already knew

2011-06-16 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3550137

User image

Champion

-------------------------------------- BOSTON BRUINS WON THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------------------------------

(Beyond that, I'll be back later -- Denise, Mandy, and Sandra.)

2011-06-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #3551826

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

How bout them Bruins!!

stevebradley - 2011-06-16 7:56 AM -------------------------------------- BOSTON BRUINS WON THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!! ------------------------------------------------------ (Beyond that, I'll be back later -- Denise, Mandy, and Sandra.)

2011-06-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3551622

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Interesting comment about being last.  Sometimes I have difficulty dealing with "being left behind".  Often when I get in a group setting (training or racing it doesn't matter) I have this urge to keep up.  Happens mostly in the pool and on my bike.  Somebody passes me and the urge to jump on their wheel or feet overwhelms me.  Don't know why this happens but it does.

Anyway, in my ramp up to my 1st Tri I had this terrible fear of being the last out of the water (and having a crowd see me coming out of the water last).   My 1st mentor gave me this advise that helped out a lot.  I'm paraphasing a bit but:

"Do your best, have fun and let the results take care of themselves -- the people who truly care about us don't really care who we beat or whether or not we come in last, they just want us to be happy."

Powerful statement.

sanl - 2011-06-15 10:56 PM

Actually, now that I'm rethinking what I wrote, maybe I wouldn't want to be the absolutely last one. However, that is better than not finishing, and not finishing is always better than not even trying. So I guess on those lines even being the last one is still an accomplishment...

And I shouldn't forget that this all started to lose weight, have a healtier life and get into the 80s as the couple of Veronica's story below 

Sandra,

One of the most valuable lessons I have been taught is "there will always be somebody faster, we can't win that game.  If you remain consistent and positive you will improve relative to yourself - there’s value in seeing the return from our own efforts. So it’s best to evaluate how you do relative to yourself”.

I'm a competitive guy so that comment help me a out a lot.  Now I don't worry about how fast I'm going relative to other people.  I focus on looking at my improvements over time.

Hey! Make a quick trip to Ottawa between now and then! I have a couple of great OWS spots I can take you to!

Yesterday I swam 1km in 31:52 I know it is slow but what I don't know is how slow I am.

Thinking out loud I just answered my own question: I'm slower than the average, which I already knew

2011-06-16 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Mandy,

I've never done a Tri training camp but I've read a lot about them.  Sounds like a neat idea.  Be careful with your drive home (sounds like a long day)!!!

manfarr1974 - 2011-06-15 9:05 PM

Hello everyone!!

What a busy week!  Sounds like everyone has been busy with work, life, and training!

I am going to the Fireman Ironman Camp in Lake Placid this weekend.  Should be a hoot. I am leaving tomorrow AM and will try to get to LP in time to swim 1 loop of the course.  Will swim 2 loops of the course Friday.  Then Saturday I am biking 2 loops of the course, practicing nutrition and pacing - following that up with a run off the bike (~4miles).  

Then on Sun AM I will be running 20 miles on the race course - then driving home.  This should guarantee that I will not be able to walk by the time I get home from that 7-8hr drive.  I am deviating from the camp a little in that they have a 2 loop swim mass start on Sunday at 8:30 followed by a long run - but I hope to be on the road by that day and home in time to give dad a hug for Father's Day.

AND in other news.....

Mandy

2011-06-16 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL

Veronica,

I get a smile on my face if I see 70-80 year-olds exercising or older couples publicly showing affection to one another by holding hands.  They certainly are an inspiration.

AKtri - 2011-06-14 3:01 PM

2011-06-16 4:39 PM

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Well, you're there now, and have a swim loop under your belt. Cool beans!

How did you like the presence of the cable? Isn't that a nifty cheat/aid? If you can get that line during your swim, you really need never sight forward -- just keep the cable in your vision

It is also allowable to swim on the inside of the rectangle, just as long as you go to the outside of the far buoys. That might be worth checking, but it was legal in '04.

Great camp, should jump start you almost to the point of vaulting straight to race day. Kind of like "Chutes and Ladders", where suddenly you're elevated/advanced/wayaheadofthegame.

As for walking on Monday, though......

2011-06-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3553154

User image

Champion

MANDY again -

Oh! Yeah! Congrats on signing up for IMMT! I guess this means that IM training suits you to a T, and you are content with bopping right from LP to MT. Nice!

Is it filling quickly? It's not in my sights so I'm not paying attention.....to the point of not even knowing when it is. Hmmmm. Guess I'd better get acquainted with its particulars!

Have they ever had two IMs so close to each other? LP is about 2.5 hours to the southeast, MT about 2.5 hours to the northeast. Does that make me some sort of epicenter??

2011-06-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3551622

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
sanl - 2011-06-14 10:56 PM

yeah, you are right. I'm not competitive at all but I like numbers a lot And probably because of my inexperience I feel I'll be the dead last one to complete the race. Which wouldn't bother me at all, my goal is to cross the finish line and to know my times so later next year I should have a better time... as you said: relative to myself

Sandra,

Sandra - I have the same fears. I'm super slow on the run and I have come to terms with the possibility of being DFL in a race, especially in races where I'm just running. I think I came in 6th to last at my first 10K last month. 

Someone once told me that it takes a lot more courage to cross the finish last than it does to cross the finish line first. 

Edited by kickitinok 2011-06-16 4:49 PM
2011-06-16 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3552555

User image

Champion

JEFF -

It's beginning to sink in, I think! You know, growing up in Boston and watching the Bruins be fairly inept, it was a constant that they6 had previously last won the Cup in something like '41. So, in '61, that seemed like forever-ago. Then they finally won in in '70, making it about 30 yars, and then they won again in '72.

That was the last time until last night, so this curent winless run was a whopping 39 years. It just shows how one's perception of time can be so different wghen you're a kid, looking back on a time before you were born. Back then, 20 years was a lifetime; nowadays, 39 years ago seems just a wink and a few heartbeats behind me!

2011-06-16 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3552616

User image

Champion

JEFF again -

Thanks for another good quote (the paraphrased one).

Not only that, but the people who don't know you don't really care at all. Probably none of them could recognize you on the street an hour later, even. So, however lame/awful/inept we think we look.....it's really lost of just about every spectator at a race.

Beyond that, I'd love to have a nickle for ebery traithlete who has worried about being last -- out of the water, at the end of the race, wherever. I have to admit to worrying about being last out of the water for my first race......and lo and behold, I wasn't. (That I had a major kerfuffel at the swim start notwithstanding, however! )

2011-06-16 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3552658

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
junthank - 2011-06-15 1:57 PM

Veronica,

I get a smile on my face if I see 70-80 year-olds exercising or older couples publicly showing affection to one another by holding hands.  They certainly are an inspiration.

AKtri - 2011-06-14 3:01 PM

Jeff - You'd probably change your tune if you had to train next to the 70+ y/o man who keeps breaking all my state's swim records (in his age group). This "geezer" puts me to shame in the pool 2-3 times a week. He's also very critical of my swim form and breathing, but that's another story altogether.

With the population aging, I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the median age of all athletes, not just triathletes, becoming older? People competing well into their 80s? 90s? Has anyone over 100 ever competed in an Iron Man? Interesting stuff.  

2011-06-16 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
manfarr1974 - 2011-06-14 9:05 PM

Hello everyone!!

AND in other news.....

Mandy

Congrats, Mandy! Go get 'em, tiger!

2011-06-16 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3553173

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Thanks for the muscle def comment....and I hadn't noticed. That just shows how anal I can get in analyzing my photos, wherein I spend my time scrutinizing form -- arms low? elbows too far out? hands crossing midline? head dropped? That was what I notied in too many of the photos, although at this stage of the year I don't flagellate myself too vigorously for those misdemeanors, as historically my form gets much better by about late July.

As for the number placement, that's for the photographers strictly. Most races have them to the sides of the arms to help marshals identify you if you've committed a crime on the bike, but the races in that series don't even have marshals that patrol the course trying to bust drafters and blockers. Being a good, honest rider is really just a honor-system thing with them, so that leaves the number placement open for the photographers, and they dictate front of biceps.

How are you feeling as Racine inexorably approaches? Did you ever work out the difficulties with your saddle?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigSkiesMentorGroup - COMPLETE! Rss Feed  

of 57