BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-30 6:54 PM
in reply to: #4019543

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Happy Monday!

Here's my song of the day: Runnin' Down a Dream- Tom Petty I am a HUGE Tom Petty fan, and have gone to see him in concert every time he has been in Milwaukee since I can remember!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tF_-AkU6U

Speaking of running- I got my husband addicted to running now.  We are going on vacation this summer and he decided to try and get into shape for vacation, so he started running.  He ran the 10k with me yesterday, felt great, and said he is thinking about doing the Door County Half Marathon with me in May.  Today he went for a 7 mile run. 

I am enjoying my recovery day- compression socks and foam rollers are my friends today!

Brian- be smart about the pain you are having- if it continues to persist, get it checked out- better to take care of it now then to have it hinder your training for a longer period of time.

2012-01-30 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4019597

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Deb - I love that song Smile and thanks for the encouragement - I am going to need it!

Hang in there and hope you are feeling better soon.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-30 7:44 PM

KC, that's SO exciting. 1st day of 'official' training - whoot whoot. We'll all be rooting you on.

Song for Monday is another one from my 'run' playlist. I feel like I pick up the pace and smile when this one comes up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmOe27SJ3Yc

Training has not been going weell. My husband is a brat and gave me his 'man flu'. I got sick on Friday and have not trained since. I missed a 6 mile run on Saturday. I'm hoping to feel well enough tomorrow to jump back in for my scheduled 4 miles.

2012-01-30 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4019614

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Jen - great tune - awesome - nice job on getting the other half on board.

Jennifers - 2012-01-30 7:54 PM

Happy Monday!

Here's my song of the day: Runnin' Down a Dream- Tom Petty I am a HUGE Tom Petty fan, and have gone to see him in concert every time he has been in Milwaukee since I can remember!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tF_-AkU6U

Speaking of running- I got my husband addicted to running now.  We are going on vacation this summer and he decided to try and get into shape for vacation, so he started running.  He ran the 10k with me yesterday, felt great, and said he is thinking about doing the Door County Half Marathon with me in May.  Today he went for a 7 mile run. 

I am enjoying my recovery day- compression socks and foam rollers are my friends today!

Brian- be smart about the pain you are having- if it continues to persist, get it checked out- better to take care of it now then to have it hinder your training for a longer period of time.

2012-01-31 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Just wanted to check in and pat myself on the back.  I excercised 20 days this month (my goal is 18 days). Started swiming again and feel more confident in my abilitied than last year. And I ran 4 miles in 31:08 on the treadmill this morning.  January was a good month!
2012-01-31 9:19 AM
in reply to: #4020194

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Great job Keith - way to go and keep it up.

KC

kdevarenne - 2012-01-31 9:08 AM Just wanted to check in and pat myself on the back.  I excercised 20 days this month (my goal is 18 days). Started swiming again and feel more confident in my abilitied than last year. And I ran 4 miles in 31:08 on the treadmill this morning.  January was a good month!

2012-01-31 9:24 AM

User image

Expert

Congrats on getting that IM training going KC!  Seems like yesterday that you signed up and now it is upon us Surprised.  I "officially" start in two weeks.

It has been a rough past couple days.  I have been fighting something i my chest the last three weeks.  Not really a cold but it came on real fast in my throat about a month ago.  Three weeks ago I had to cancel two shows because I couldn't sing - really weird as that I have only cancel one show in the past 14 years!  Anyways I don't really feel sick and I have been training through it but I think it is starting to catch up to me.  Last Wednesday I went out to see my friends band play and stayed out later than expected and missed my Thursday swim.  And then Friday we got called to do a last minute show in the city which through me off for the whole weekend.  

Anyways I am really starting to rethink my training plan and wonder if I am being to aggressive.  For previous races I think that I could squeak by with half training but with the IM I have to be really honest with myself.  I have a bad habit of pick VERY aggressive plans and then usually misssing a bunch of workouts due to my crazy schedule and feeling like I failed in my training.

So my question to you guys is... Should I switch from the Competitive Plan (average of 12 hour week /peak at 20) to the Intermediate Plan (average of 10.5 hours week/ peak at 15)?  Or they even have the Just Finish program designed for the super busy athlete (average 7 hours week / peak 10).

My goal is to finish.  I have a time that I would like to shoot for but even if I finish at 16:59:59 I would be happy so a time goal is not critical.  I  just want to enjoy the race and the day. 

I can't get rid of the kids, I have commitments to play these shows plus the guys in the band depend on me so there will always be shows and since I haven't gone pro yet -I have to work to bring home the bacon.  I am just feeling that I will have much more confidence in my training if I am realistic and not set myself up for failure.  I've got two weeks to finalize and any input from you guys would be great!

Thanks!

2012-01-31 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4020409

User image

Veteran
Mass.

Tim - You should probably try to figure out how many hours a week you other commitments take up and then see how much time is left, then from there be realistic about how much of that time you can commit to training.

KC - Can't wait to hear how your training is going to go!

2012-01-31 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4020431

User image

Expert

thanks -Yeah I've tried that but it really goes month to month depending on how many shows we book.  I'm kind of in a weird situation because I do 90% of the booking but two of the guys in the band do music full time and rely on the income so I feel kind of selfish if I turn down or don't book shows so I can train more.   I've already had to turn down two weddings the weekend of IMWI ($8000 so far)

So one month I might have two weekends completely free - then the next I am playing both Friday/Saturday three weeks in a row.

I think the real problem is I am realizing how much of a moron I am for trying to do an Ironman at this time in my life -haha

kdevarenne - 2012-01-31 9:32 AM

Tim - You should probably try to figure out how many hours a week you other commitments take up and then see how much time is left, then from there be realistic about how much of that time you can commit to training.

2012-01-31 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4016888

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
DaveL - 2012-01-29 10:35 AM
hgoudreau - 2012-01-28 11:48 AM

I'm a little stuck and would welcome any tips for how to keep motivated without an "end" goal?

Run with a friend, if you dont have someone to run with then go to the running room, they have free runs on Wednesday nights (I think its Wednesday?) and Sundays. I have run with the Running room many Sundays. They do have clinics as well for $70 but I am away during the week so have never signed up. You arent seen as a "freeloader" at all so dont worry about attending the free runs, they have everything from 5km to 1/2marathons.

For biking I really cant watch a movie anymore unless I am on the trainer. I have a projector set up for my laptop so its great.

Swimming I am a bit at a loss, I started only doing OWS swims last summer and havent been to the pool since. I find the pool frustrating and boring. Hopefully someone else can help with that.

So go to the free Running room runs and watch a movie or 2 each week. Its not going to net you a huge improvement but its better than riding the couch.

This is a great idea that I would probably use at any other time; I have gone through the running room's training programs before and they are great (although I wasn't a huge fan of the group runs for distances over 10k).  Right now, though, all the stores (and runners that I know, for that matter) in town are starting their clinics (and training) for Ottawa Race Weekend (with 40,000 runners, it's the biggest set of races in town).  This year will only be the 2nd ORW that I have not run in the past 7 years (although I will probably do what I did last time and volunteer at a water station); which makes me sad.   As  a result, I'm a little wary of running with a group that will all be preparing for this event knowing that it will make me unhappy..

2012-01-31 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4017596

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Jennifers - 2012-01-29 8:34 PM

Hgoudreau- first of all, congrats on your soccer goal!!  As a fellow soccer athlete, I can relate to how awesome it is to finally get in a position to score, so nice work!  As far as goals, are there any non-race events you could look for?  Like a charity ride?  Sometimes that can make a great goal for exercising and training.  Or, maybe evaluate what you would like to improve upon from previous races (i.e. run a 5k within a specific time) and train to accomplish that, and then "test" yourself by going on a 5k run and checking your time?  Just some thoughts to help keep you focused on improving and give some direction for your training.

Thanks! I like this idea.  I was checking out the Team in Training website after my marathon (there were tons of them running it) and that might be an idea.  I like the idea of creating my own "test" race, too.  Maybe I'll use this idea - there are some time goals that I would love to meet at shorter distances..

2012-01-31 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4017694

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
razorxp - 2012-01-29 9:28 PM

1st off that is great you are doing that for the pups.  We were "foster" parents to a boxer for about a week and somehow he is still here! lol  We have 2 dogs that are 4lbs and 8lbs so a 80lb boxer was not in the plans not to mention I am terribly allergic to shedding dogs.

For the other you don't have pay for a race to set up your own 5k or 10k race.  Heck I am cheap why would I pay (unless donating to charity) to run 3miles or 6miles.  Put a date on the calender and make it your own race.

That's too funny about the dog.  It has already started, too - about 24 hours after Taz arrived, my husband said something like "we COULD just keep him"... I'm trying to stay strong on that front, but he is a cuddly little thing, so it's hard to not get attached..

I do like the idea of creating my own race.. maybe it's time to break some PRs at the shorter distances..

2012-02-01 7:39 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Just checking in to say hi. Busy day yesterday and another one ahead today.

Tim - first, don't beat yourself up, maybe you are setting up a training program that is not flexible enough based on your current life situation - could be time to adopt the SMART goal idea = specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely? You will figure it out.

Have a great day everyone.

Picture Wednesday - thought I would prove how much of a golf geek I am again by posting a picture of the worlds biggest golf ball I made a couple of winters ago in my back yard - Titleist loved it!

KC

(Titleist#1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Titleist#1.jpg (62KB - 7 downloads)
2012-02-01 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4020535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
tmoran80 - 2012-01-31 10:10 AM

thanks -Yeah I've tried that but it really goes month to month depending on how many shows we book.  I'm kind of in a weird situation because I do 90% of the booking but two of the guys in the band do music full time and rely on the income so I feel kind of selfish if I turn down or don't book shows so I can train more.   I've already had to turn down two weddings the weekend of IMWI ($8000 so far)

So one month I might have two weekends completely free - then the next I am playing both Friday/Saturday three weeks in a row.

I think the real problem is I am realizing how much of a moron I am for trying to do an Ironman at this time in my life -haha

kdevarenne - 2012-01-31 9:32 AM

Ironman training peaked in the 20 hours/week for me.   But some hours could be shaved, I think.   Endurance Nation says not to run more then 2.5 hours at a time while others have you running up to 20 miles or more.   One long ride a week is needed.  But the others can be short intense VO2.   I think when you get up there to ride the course you'll get a better feel for where you are and where you need to be.  But you're still looking at serious 15 hours I would think.  And that is a lot.   I was swimming in the very early mornings, riding after work, running sometimes after dark to get it in.  But you can.  Kathy said lots of young people where there watching holding babies.  I have no idea how that works.  But they found a way.   

2012-02-01 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4022634

User image

Expert

Haha - I don't know what makes you a bigger golf geek, the worlds largest golf ball or the fact that you have a putting green in your backyard!  

Thanks for the SMART advice. That is exaxctly the point I am at right now - trying to figure out something that actually works for me - not what I would like to work for me.

kcgolf - 2012-02-01 7:39 AM

Good Morning Team.

Just checking in to say hi. Busy day yesterday and another one ahead today.

Tim - first, don't beat yourself up, maybe you are setting up a training program that is not flexible enough based on your current life situation - could be time to adopt the SMART goal idea = specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and timely? You will figure it out.

Have a great day everyone.

Picture Wednesday - thought I would prove how much of a golf geek I am again by posting a picture of the worlds biggest golf ball I made a couple of winters ago in my back yard - Titleist loved it!

KC

2012-02-01 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4022856

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I was able to go bike riding in a pair of shorts this morning!!  February is off to a good start!
2012-02-01 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4020194

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

kdevarenne - 2012-01-31 9:08 AM Just wanted to check in and pat myself on the back.  I excercised 20 days this month (my goal is 18 days). Started swiming again and feel more confident in my abilitied than last year. And I ran 4 miles in 31:08 on the treadmill this morning.  January was a good month!

Great job! Keep it up

2012-02-01 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4020409

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-01-31 10:24 AM

Congrats on getting that IM training going KC!  Seems like yesterday that you signed up and now it is upon us Surprised.  I "officially" start in two weeks.

It has been a rough past couple days.  I have been fighting something i my chest the last three weeks.  Not really a cold but it came on real fast in my throat about a month ago.  Three weeks ago I had to cancel two shows because I couldn't sing - really weird as that I have only cancel one show in the past 14 years!  Anyways I don't really feel sick and I have been training through it but I think it is starting to catch up to me.  Last Wednesday I went out to see my friends band play and stayed out later than expected and missed my Thursday swim.  And then Friday we got called to do a last minute show in the city which through me off for the whole weekend.  

Anyways I am really starting to rethink my training plan and wonder if I am being to aggressive.  For previous races I think that I could squeak by with half training but with the IM I have to be really honest with myself.  I have a bad habit of pick VERY aggressive plans and then usually misssing a bunch of workouts due to my crazy schedule and feeling like I failed in my training.

So my question to you guys is... Should I switch from the Competitive Plan (average of 12 hour week /peak at 20) to the Intermediate Plan (average of 10.5 hours week/ peak at 15)?  Or they even have the Just Finish program designed for the super busy athlete (average 7 hours week / peak 10).

My goal is to finish.  I have a time that I would like to shoot for but even if I finish at 16:59:59 I would be happy so a time goal is not critical.  I  just want to enjoy the race and the day. 

I can't get rid of the kids, I have commitments to play these shows plus the guys in the band depend on me so there will always be shows and since I haven't gone pro yet -I have to work to bring home the bacon.  I am just feeling that I will have much more confidence in my training if I am realistic and not set myself up for failure.  I've got two weeks to finalize and any input from you guys would be great!

Thanks!

I guess my advice would be to have the intermediate plan as my outline and work from there adjusting it every week.  If there is a week that your busy or have shows make sure you try and hit the "finish" plan.  As long as the base/build/rest cycles line up and you don't go crazy on long runs it should be ok. On less busy weeks shoot for the longer workouts in the swim/bike/workouts.   I have no doubt you could finish the race today but in my eyes finishing and going to medical is much different then finishing and having a good time with a beer in hand! lol

2012-02-01 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4023311

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Great advice - that is why you are the Coach (especially that last part Smile

I guess my advice would be to have the intermediate plan as my outline and work from there adjusting it every week.  If there is a week that your busy or have shows make sure you try and hit the "finish" plan.  As long as the base/build/rest cycles line up and you don't go crazy on long runs it should be ok. On less busy weeks shoot for the longer workouts in the swim/bike/workouts.   I have no doubt you could finish the race today but in my eyes finishing and going to medical is much different then finishing and having a good time with a beer in hand! lol

2012-02-01 3:52 PM

User image

Jackson, MS

Keith-- awesome.  Way to surpass your goal!

KC-- what a dork.  I love the golf snowball 

Tim--I have nothing to offer other than awe at training for any of those amount of hours.

I've been a little more consistent recently, too!  And it feels good. 

My photo--this is where I'll be next week!  Zugspitze in German Alps.  Will be in southern Germany for a week!  Skiing, sightseeing in the cold, lots of sausage/cabbage/beer!!!

(zugspitze.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
zugspitze.jpg (66KB - 9 downloads)
2012-02-01 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Enjoy the trip Mary!

Tim - as you get into the training program you will find your sweet spot, just like finding the best rpm for riding the bike.  You will figure out how to balance work, family, rock staring, and working out just enough to always be a little bit sore while getting faster and gaining more endurance each week.

KC - you will need an awful big club for that ball.

Kevin - keep up the strong work!

2012-02-01 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4023930

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

KC- Love the picture!  Thankfully, we haven't had much snow here in WI this winter.

Tim- I wish I could give advice on the training plan.  I am pretty much entrusting my friend and coach with my training- I have a pretty crazy schedule too as an athletic trainer, professor, and student, so far it's been going good...we'll see if I am still there in a couple weeks/months.

Mary- That is a BEAUTIFUL picture!  I would love to go to Europe some day.  I have family friends in Poland, and would love to go there and visit.  We are actually going to Jamaica this summer.  I was actually a little resistant to this trip at first, being that it would be in summer and create a challenge for training for a week, but we actually booked it right after the Racine HIM, so it will be a lighter training week for me.  Plus, I picked the resort with a private 2 mile beach...perfect for swimming and beach running.

For picture Wednesday- here's a picture of my and my "coach" Anna after riding one loop of the IMWI course in October...it was my first ride out there. 

2012-02-01 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran

I have not gotten on the road to run since saturday.  have decided that I am overtraining in attempt to reach a goal that is most likely well out of reach for me anyway.  I have been hitting all my speed workouts, but just could not keep up with the long distance ones.  Now, it could be that or the fact that my running shoes have logged close to 800 miles.  New shoes and a few days off, I will be back on the road tomorrow.

Today was great here in Indy - 60 degrees with light wind.  So, my IM training buddy and Igot on our bikes for a nice 18 mile ride.  I could not quite keep up with him since he has been training and I have not really sat on a bike since IM in August.  But, I felt good getting out there.

2 pictures for today - my day with the family at NFL Experience.  Next week's picture will be from inside Lucas Oil stadium on Sunday!

(100_6326b.jpg)

(100_6332b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
100_6326b.jpg (81KB - 2 downloads)
100_6332b.jpg (55KB - 4 downloads)
2012-02-01 7:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

KC- Love the picture!  Thankfully, we haven't had much snow here in WI this winter.

Tim- I wish I could give advice on the training plan.  I am pretty much entrusting my friend and coach with my training- I have a pretty crazy schedule too as an athletic trainer, professor, and student, so far it's been going good...we'll see if I am still there in a couple weeks/months.

Mary- That is a BEAUTIFUL picture!  I would love to go to Europe some day.  I have family friends in Poland, and would love to go there and visit.  We are actually going to Jamaica this summer.  I was actually a little resistant to this trip at first, being that it would be in summer and create a challenge for training for a week, but we actually booked it right after the Racine HIM, so it will be a lighter training week for me.  Plus, I picked the resort with a private 2 mile beach...perfect for swimming and beach running.

For picture Wednesday- I have a picture of a sunset on Rock Island, WI.  This is one of my most favorite places to camp in WI.  If you picture WI, it's two islands off the "thumb" or Door penisula.  You have to take two ferries to get there.  The entire island is a State Park, and has a really interesting history.  We camp there every Memorial Day with a group of friends, and do a night hike around the island (no vehicles are allowed on the island, not even bikes).

(sunset.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
sunset.jpg (42KB - 4 downloads)
2012-02-01 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Sorry for the double post- the first picture was too large and wasn't working so I switched it, and somehow posted the first attempt. Embarassed
2012-02-02 7:18 AM

User image

Expert

Mary - have a great trip!  My wife's parents are from Germany and we always talk of getting over there.  Someday....

Mary A - 2012-02-01 3:52 PM

Keith-- awesome.  Way to surpass your goal!

KC-- what a dork.  I love the golf snowball 

Tim--I have nothing to offer other than awe at training for any of those amount of hours.

I've been a little more consistent recently, too!  And it feels good. 

My photo--this is where I'll be next week!  Zugspitze in German Alps.  Will be in southern Germany for a week!  Skiing, sightseeing in the cold, lots of sausage/cabbage/beer!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43