BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2012-06-10 9:32 PM
in reply to: #4254443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED!
mndymond - 2012-06-10 7:15 PM

Got my first week of solid training in since before general surgery I would say...I'm almost at my May totals after 7 days....

The little kids got me sick so I did a lot of sleeping this weekend. Feeling better now...so hopefully that is the end of my peds sickness.....

Excited to see everyone's RRs from the weekend! Hope things went well for all those racing! (Hope it wasn't too cold Tera!)

Glad you got back training. Too bad about the sickness. Kids are just petri dishes of germs. The first winter our daughter was in daycare we used more tissues than the previous 20 years. Luckily it usually doesn't last too long if you listen to your vast and take care of youself.

2012-06-10 9:39 PM
in reply to: #4124591

User image

Extreme Veteran
I got a good ride in yesterday 24 miles. Today I felt queasy so just took it easy. I have a recovery week which times out well with my first sprint on Sunday. I'll probably stroke and stride again this Thursday as a last prep.My husband and I went to the local tri shop Sat and man do they have cool toys. They had a $15k bike! Actually they had a few of them (it is Boulder ;-). The people were really nice. We were looking for a tri top to fit my 6'4" 180 lb husband. As always, only the really expensive stuff fit. So, he has a nice new tri outfit for his Xterra in two weeks. I got paddles and a pull buoy.
2012-06-12 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4254572

User image

Expert

Moonrocket - 2012-06-10 9:39 PM I got a good ride in yesterday 24 miles. Today I felt queasy so just took it easy. I have a recovery week which times out well with my first sprint on Sunday. I'll probably stroke and stride again this Thursday as a last prep.My husband and I went to the local tri shop Sat and man do they have cool toys. They had a $15k bike! Actually they had a few of them (it is Boulder ;-). The people were really nice. We were looking for a tri top to fit my 6'4" 180 lb husband. As always, only the really expensive stuff fit. So, he has a nice new tri outfit for his Xterra in two weeks. I got paddles and a pull buoy.

Glad to hear you got in a nice ride and I hope your stomach feels better asap.  Good luck with your Tri this Sunday.  I know you are gonna crush it!

Sounds like your husband made out like a bandit!  Next time, it's your turn!!!

2012-06-12 7:34 AM
in reply to: #4254435

User image

Expert
mndymond - 2012-06-10 8:12 PM
Qua17 - 2012-06-10 5:28 PM

Hi All:  How was everyone's weekend.  I know there were a couple of races too - how did everyone do?

It's time for me to start focusing on my OLY next month.  With four weeks to go before the race - it's time to start working on speed.  Here is my plan for next week:

Monday - AM 40 MI bike/PM 30 minute walk
Tuesday - AM 2300 Speed Swim Workout/ PM 30 minute Run
Wedesnday PM Easy Bike Day
Thursday - AM 2500 Swim/PM Track Workout
Friday - AM Stretch / PM Long Run
Saturday - Rest Day
Sunday - AM Light Swim / PM Long Ride

Hold me accountable.  No beer/ice cream for everyday that I don't complete a workout.

Have a good week!

So Sat no beer/ice cream then? Haha. I do this too. Lately I have been trying to tell myself that just because I work out doesn't mean I get to have ice cream/choc though. School/studying kind of make me feel that if I work out and have to study that I should get to have a little bowl or a few pieces?

Looks like a solid week of training planned! Hope it goes well!

Thanks as always for the support and for your post.  You really got me thinking about my training and the purpose and need for rewards.  As you probably have figured out by now - it's all about sustainibility for me as I continue to make the life change from being a big fat sweaty couch potato (some people at work actually called me BSD - Big Sweaty Dave) to being a fit happy human being.  So I was thinking that those pieces of chocolate for you and beer for me are the rewards for all of our labors.  If we can't treat outselves to a little heaven, why are we working so damn hard?

Then I got to thinking that we should also be rewarding ourselves for taking it easy or taking a rest day too.  Yesterday was my long ride - but I approached it as if it were a speed workout.  I was fast - but all that energy expended yesterday puts me in a hole for my run this afternoon.  Maybe I should be rewarding myself for not only getting the workout in but sticking to the plan. 

Just a thought.  Glad to hear you are feeling better and congrats on those workout totals for the week!

2012-06-12 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4257129

User image

Expert
Qua17 - 2012-06-12 7:34 AM

Hi All:  How was everyone's weekend.  I know there were a couple of races too - how did everyone do?

It's time for me to start focusing on my OLY next month.  With four weeks to go before the race - it's time to start working on speed.  Here is my plan for next week:

Saturday - Rest Day

Hold me accountable.  No beer/ice cream for everyday that I don't complete a workout.

Have a good week!

So Sat no beer/ice cream then? Haha. I do this too. Lately I have been trying to tell myself that just because I work out doesn't mean I get to have ice cream/choc though. School/studying kind of make me feel that if I work out and have to study that I should get to have a little bowl or a few pieces?

Thanks as always for the support and for your post.  You really got me thinking about my training and the purpose and need for rewards.  As you probably have figured out by now - it's all about sustainibility for me as I continue to make the life change from being a big fat sweaty couch potato (some people at work actually called me BSD - Big Sweaty Dave) to being a fit happy human being.  So I was thinking that those pieces of chocolate for you and beer for me are the rewards for all of our labors.  If we can't treat outselves to a little heaven, why are we working so damn hard?

Then I got to thinking that we should also be rewarding ourselves for taking it easy or taking a rest day too.  Yesterday was my long ride - but I approached it as if it were a speed workout.  I was fast - but all that energy expended yesterday puts me in a hole for my run this afternoon.  Maybe I should be rewarding myself for not only getting the workout in but sticking to the plan. 

Just a thought.  Glad to hear you are feeling better and congrats on those workout totals for the week!

I definitely do this!  While I do fall into the trap of rewarding myself for training by indulging in beer, fries, or pizza, I'm trying to get away from that.  

Now I think of a nice massage, a session in the steam room, a restorative yoga class, or even an extra rest day if I'm run down, as rewards as well!  

2012-06-12 11:51 PM
in reply to: #4257605

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
yogachic - 2012-06-12 8:48 PM
Qua17 - 2012-06-12 7:34 AM

Saturday - Rest Day

Have a good week!

I definitely do this!  While I do fall into the trap of rewarding myself for training by indulging in beer, fries, or pizza, I'm trying to get away from that.  

Now I think of a nice massage, a session in the steam room, a restorative yoga class, or even an extra rest day if I'm run down, as rewards as well!  

Hot tub after a swim workout at the Y.  10 minutes is way more enjoyable than it ever should be or would've been pre tri training.  I woke up at 5:30 today for another 4:00 work out, so I missed my chance to work out as my wife was already off to training, so I rolled over and slept in today.

funny thing is that I still try to stress about this, but then realized I had planned a rest on Thursday anyway, so I just switched days in my plan.  If I work out only 5 days a week instead of 6 every other week, I still think I'll be able to tow the line for HIM.  The funny thing is that it will stick in my craw for hours until I let it go.  It really is what you need sometimes, as we work our bodies to the brink at times.  Rest is good.

2012-06-13 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4258884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Hot tub after a swim workout at the Y.  10 minutes is way more enjoyable than it ever should be or would've been pre tri training.  I woke up at 5:30 today for another 4:00 work out, so I missed my chance to work out as my wife was already off to training, so I rolled over and slept in today.

funny thing is that I still try to stress about this, but then realized I had planned a rest on Thursday anyway, so I just switched days in my plan.  If I work out only 5 days a week instead of 6 every other week, I still think I'll be able to tow the line for HIM.  The funny thing is that it will stick in my craw for hours until I let it go.  It really is what you need sometimes, as we work our bodies to the brink at times.  Rest is good.

You need to buy a cycle trainer! When you have a wife and kids, it is a workout saver for me!

Edited by thor67 2012-06-13 8:06 AM
2012-06-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4259122

User image

Expert
thor67 - 2012-06-13 8:05 AM

You need to buy a cycle trainer! When you have a wife and kids, it is a workout saver for me!

Hot tub!  Yeah, if I had access to one, I would definitely be in there all the time to "recover"!

x2 on the bike trainer.  I don't have kids or anything, but it's definitely easier to hop on and get a quick workout without all the hassle of going outside, battling weather/traffic/flats/etc.  Which reminds me, I've been meaning to set mine up so I can start doing 30-60min on the trainer before work some days since my high volume weeks are coming up for HIM training!  Time to bust out all the DVDs I've been meaning to watch, too Smile

2012-06-13 3:16 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Hi guys! I hope all is going well.  I have been in Holland, Mi on vacation since Friday.  I've been able to get in a lot of running, a bit of biking, a couple rounds of golf, and we toured the New Holland Brewing Company.  We'll be heading home in a couple of days so I'll try and catch up when I get back.  Sounds like there were some good races last weekend and good training going on so that's always good to see!
2012-06-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: #4260162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

disturbed275 - 2012-06-13 2:16 PM Hi guys! I hope all is going well.  I have been in Holland, Mi on vacation since Friday.  I've been able to get in a lot of running, a bit of biking, a couple rounds of golf, and we toured the New Holland Brewing Company.  We'll be heading home in a couple of days so I'll try and catch up when I get back.  Sounds like there were some good races last weekend and good training going on so that's always good to see!

All holidays are great when you end up in a brewery!!

2012-06-13 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4254261

User image

Extreme Veteran

Saturday - Rest Day

Have a good week!

Someone missed 500 yards and 5 minutes of running yesterday.  Let's hear the excuses.

2012-06-13 6:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BTW - I think I am over indulging in my recovery week.  Need a quick bike at some point.  Stroke and Stride on Thursday - should I do 750 to match my race on Sunday, or 1500 for a better workout?  Then a 5k.  Maybe Friday off and a mello ride on Sat prior to 750/17/3k on Sunday.
2012-06-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4259122

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
thor67 - 2012-06-13 6:05 PM

This I need to do.  How much time to set up if you only have a 1 ride to go from outside to inside?

2012-06-13 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4258884

User image

Expert

Amen brother!  I agree with you 100%  While I like Thors idea of a trainer - letting the body heal for a day is better than a week of missed workouts.  Trying to master this lesson as well!

Edited by Qua17 2012-06-13 9:09 PM
2012-06-13 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4260524

User image

Expert
Moonrocket - 2012-06-13 6:13 PM

Saturday - Rest Day

Have a good week!

Someone missed 500 yards and 5 minutes of running yesterday.  Let's hear the excuses.

First off - THANKS A TON for the support and accountibility!

It is precisely because of posts like yours that I, in fact, managed to squeeze in my workouts yesterday.  I got in the pool workout in the morning no problem but sitting in the parking lot that is the MASS Pike put my run in serious jeopardy (it took me almost as long to drive home as it did to bike the same distance the day before).  I got home at 5:25 and my wife had an end of the year party that we had to be at by 6.  I pissed her off something fierce when I told her that I was going to be late for the party because I needed to get my run in... but to her credit - she let me get it done.  I ended up being 15 minutes late to the party and I was a mess.  I'd grabbed a quick shower but I was still sweating like a hog.  Thanks to the workout, I skipped the butter when they served clams and only ate 1/2 my steak.  It pained me not to finish it but I probably would have lost the fight and wolfed it down had I not gotten that workout in...

So I guess the threat of catching crap from my tri buddies motivates me more than the fear of my wife's displeasure... Fact is - knowing that you'd give me $hit is what made it happen

2012-06-13 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4260527

User image

Expert

Moonrocket - 2012-06-13 6:16 PM BTW - I think I am over indulging in my recovery week.  Need a quick bike at some point.  Stroke and Stride on Thursday - should I do 750 to match my race on Sunday, or 1500 for a better workout?  Then a 5k.  Maybe Friday off and a mello ride on Sat prior to 750/17/3k on Sunday.

Respect the taper... If you are going to do anything that will deplete your stores of energy - you should have gotten it in earlier in the week (in my opinion).  I would take it really easy for the last 3 or 4 days.

Check out this good article tapering... http://www.karensmyers.com/executing-the-perfect-taper/

Just my two cents - you know your body better than I do.  

Good luck on Sunday

2012-06-13 10:33 PM

User image

Champion
Hi all! Pretty tired today! Did the longest swim I have done in months and my body is a tad angry now...signed myself up for IM California 70.3 today! Woooo wooo!
2012-06-13 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4260527

User image

Champion

Moonrocket - 2012-06-13 5:16 PM BTW - I think I am over indulging in my recovery week.  Need a quick bike at some point.  Stroke and Stride on Thursday - should I do 750 to match my race on Sunday, or 1500 for a better workout?  Then a 5k.  Maybe Friday off and a mello ride on Sat prior to 750/17/3k on Sunday.

Id say do a 750. Not going to gain much fitness before Sun and since you are in recovery week its probably better for your race to do a chiller workout (can add in some short quick repeats like 4x50 at race pace) than adding more volume for a better workout. I tend to think it is best to keep workout frequency the same during recovery weeks but to reduce the volume per session. (Not that I always follow my own advice )

2012-06-13 11:41 PM
in reply to: #4260844

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

mndymond - 2012-06-14 8:33 AM Hi all! Pretty tired today! Did the longest swim I have done in months and my body is a tad angry now...signed myself up for IM California 70.3 today! Woooo wooo!

That's  exciting.  How does one even go about asking how many "long course" tri's this makes for someone?  How many does this make for you?  What are your goals for this one?  When is IM california?

I just read this and pulled the trigger on the Half that I've been training for.  I'm registered for the Troika triathlon 70.3 distance but not a IM event.  It's in August.  This will be my first tri.  It feels like I've been hanging on here forever (last October) and still haven't done a triathlon yet.  August is just around the corner.

2012-06-13 11:54 PM
in reply to: #4260892

User image

Champion
kevinbe - 2012-06-13 10:41 PM

mndymond - 2012-06-14 8:33 AM Hi all! Pretty tired today! Did the longest swim I have done in months and my body is a tad angry now...signed myself up for IM California 70.3 today! Woooo wooo!

That's  exciting.  How does one even go about asking how many "long course" tri's this makes for someone?  How many does this make for you?  What are your goals for this one?  When is IM california?

I just read this and pulled the trigger on the Half that I've been training for.  I'm registered for the Troika triathlon 70.3 distance but not a IM event.  It's in August.  This will be my first tri.  It feels like I've been hanging on here forever (last October) and still haven't done a triathlon yet.  August is just around the corner.

I've done 2 long course tris: Calgary 70.3 and IMLP. So Cali and IM France will make 3 and 4 because this season got busted a bit! Haha. Cali is March 30/2013. Pretty early in the season but IM France is in June so I figure a good half is always a good plan before the IM! I haven't decided on goals yet for the race. I would prob say a finishing time under 6hrs right now, but I'll decide once I sit down and get a training schedule planned. Glad you pulled the trigger on the HIM distance! August will be here before you know it! It is a bit of a scary build up but soooo exciting to get milestones done in training! I remember my first 100km ride, I felt so prostar! Haha! Looking forward to seeing how you do this Aug!
2012-06-14 8:23 AM
in reply to: #4260892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2012-06-13 10:41 PM

You should look for a sprint in July to do. It would be a great experience. It is amazing how much you will learn.

2012-06-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4254572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Moonrocket - 2012-06-10 8:39 PM I got a good ride in yesterday 24 miles. Today I felt queasy so just took it easy. I have a recovery week which times out well with my first sprint on Sunday. I'll probably stroke and stride again this Thursday as a last prep.My husband and I went to the local tri shop Sat and man do they have cool toys. They had a $15k bike! Actually they had a few of them (it is Boulder ;-). The people were really nice. We were looking for a tri top to fit my 6'4" 180 lb husband. As always, only the really expensive stuff fit. So, he has a nice new tri outfit for his Xterra in two weeks. I got paddles and a pull buoy.

Come on go out and buy that bike! Buy it now if you don`t have kids as when you do you won`t be!Smile

You will crush the sprint! Is it an OWS or pool? Looking forward to the race report! It is great everyone is starting to do their races!

2012-06-14 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4260844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

mndymond - 2012-06-13 9:33 PM Hi all! Pretty tired today! Did the longest swim I have done in months and my body is a tad angry now...signed myself up for IM California 70.3 today! Woooo wooo!

Wow, you pick some great destination races! I would love to do some of those tris. Do you ship your bike or do you just rent one while you are down there? Should be pretty good timing with your other race. Looks like you will be spending a lot of time with your trainer this winter...Smile

2012-06-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4260630

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
kevinbe - 2012-06-13 6:55 PM
thor67 - 2012-06-13 6:05 PM

This I need to do.  How much time to set up if you only have a 1 ride to go from outside to inside?

I have a cycle trainer tire on my bike that I have actually left on for outside rides so it only takes 2 minutes to go from outside to inside either way! I will change it before my race. Not sure if this is wise or not but it has worked for me so far...maybe I will post to see if I am wrecking anything by doing this....

2012-06-14 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4261198

User image

Champion
thor67 - 2012-06-14 7:35 AM

mndymond - 2012-06-13 9:33 PM Hi all! Pretty tired today! Did the longest swim I have done in months and my body is a tad angry now...signed myself up for IM California 70.3 today! Woooo wooo!

Wow, you pick some great destination races! I would love to do some of those tris. Do you ship your bike or do you just rent one while you are down there? Should be pretty good timing with your other race. Looks like you will be spending a lot of time with your trainer this winter...Smile

I tend to spend a lot of time on the trainer anyways. I did a 5:50 min trainer ride on weekend while prepping for IMLP. It was pouring outside and I had to get the ride in. Did a few 5-530 rides Outside but my longest ride was on the trainer. I watched 7 episodes of True Blood that day on the trainer and did 2 Spinervals. I have my computer set up with Spinervals and my tv on. But my whole prep was basically on the trainer into April that year. Lotsa 3-4hr rides. Haba
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mndymond and Disturbed275's Awesome SBR Group--- Phase 2--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 45