BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-06-25 11:51 AM
in reply to: Taringa

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-06-25 4:06 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Well, I woke up this morning and went for my Half Ironman Distance training ride. 56.1 miles with over 900 feet of climbing and managed to keep my heart rate towards the bottom half of Z2. I feel really good about this ride, it was almost 400 feet more climbing than the one I will do in Racine (different type of climbing though) and I really did not struggle like I thought I would. I even put on my shoes afterwards and jogged .25 miles just to see what would happen and I had my legs under me. Still more to do but this certainly helped with my confidence.

Wow! That is brilliant - what a way to inspire us new turtles - zone 2, I cant wait until I can train in zone 2 - at present with coming back from being ill all my running is zone 6 no matter how slow I go - hoping to head out on the bike tomorrow will be interesting to see what zone I am in there. Well done again it is lovely when it all goes to plan!
2013-06-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: Lovey

, Alabama
Lovey

My first official race was awesome! It was 73 degrees and a little humid but great weather. I started with 3 friends with the understanding that we run our own race. I wanted to stop before the first mile on this long hill but I didn't. I wanted to stop so many times but I kept giving myself pep talks. My friends were ahead of me and eventually I lost them. I kept steady, consistent and I didn't even stop at the water stops since I carry my own water. I even caught and passed one of my friends.

My fastest training run was 15:43 min pace on a 2.5 mile course.
Today I ran a 13:40 min/mile pace! and
I ran the WHOLE way with NO WALK BREAKS! Yeah, me!

Go Lovey!!! That is great, well done. It is such a good feeling when we finally manage to ditch the walk breaks isn't it?!
2013-06-25 7:37 PM
in reply to: NMS

Veteran
My body forced me into an unplanned recovery day. After four days strait of 12-17 hour shifts plus maintaining my training my body simply had enough. I don't think solid sleep ever felt so good. I hope to get back into easy training tomorrow for my race and hope for the best. As usual I'm stressing about missing a day of training even though I know that the gains I got from sleep will help me. My Type A personality demands that I do full blast all the time, all or nothing. Guess that's my racing/training stumbleing block, not knowing when to slow down or simply stop. Then things like today heppen and I drop from exhaustation.

Beth
2013-06-26 12:11 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

New user
Hi everyone! Catching a break from life craziness to check in with the Turtles! Kudos to everyone for their accomplishments! I really needed the positivity/motivation boost I just got from catching up on all the posts. Thanks!
2013-06-27 8:32 AM
in reply to: iamDawnAnderson

Extreme Veteran
A little slow in here but all seems to be going well for the majority . Work has given me a curveball this week along with my sinus' and really messed up my ability to post / log and has affected my workout schedule, but then again I likely needed a bit of a break . So no one is worried, I will be leaving out first thing tomorrow morning for the deer lease and won't be back until late Sunday. Naturally we don't have computer service where I'll be so I can't check in or post.

Beth, good luck at your race this weekend, show'um that Turtle Power.

As Previously posted, please take a look at the Tour Challenge if you have not already. I understand you may not want to do it but want to make sure that everyone at least looks at it because it is fun.

2013-06-27 10:14 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-28 5:34 AM
in reply to: afischer01

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by afischer01 It's amazing the difference a week can make. Last week at my swim lesson I thought I was doing horrible!! This week I feel so much more confident. I love the progress I can feel in the water.

That's great to hear! Its wonderful that sometimes the improvements just roll on in, it feels fantastic to make progress like that Laughing.

2013-06-28 5:42 AM

Gold Coast, Australia
I'm participating in a Parkrun tomorrow morning, it's a 5km timed run in one of the local parks. I've never done one before, and this is the first one to be run by a group starting up near me, so I'm pretty excited. It's a weekly event, but unfortunately I won't be able to attend very often as I work Saturdays... I don't think coming in late every week or fortnight will go down well! It will be interesting to see how it goes, I'd like to try and push the speed a little and see what happens. I've never tried to run the distance with any speed, always just run at a comfortable pace. 
2013-06-28 8:32 PM

Originally posted by Taringa

I'm participating in a Parkrun tomorrow morning, it's a 5km timed run in one of the local parks. I've never done one before, and this is the first one to be run by a group starting up near me, so I'm pretty excited. It's a weekly event, but unfortunately I won't be able to attend very often as I work Saturdays... I don't think coming in late every week or fortnight will go down well! It will be interesting to see how it goes, I'd like to try and push the speed a little and see what happens. I've never tried to run the distance with any speed, always just run at a comfortable pace. 

It's fun running with a group. I never get bored, even when I'm just one more in the pack.
2013-06-28 10:48 PM
in reply to: RZ0

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I have had a few busy and weird days.

Yesterday I did a 3 mile run then went grocery shopping. I was greeted by the sight of the man parked next to my car, pleasuring himself. Yep, right there in his car, in the supermarket lot. I was so shocked, I hit the horn. He barely glanced at me and kept on going. I told security and they siad, " ok, well .."

Then we were at lacrosse games until after 10 pm in the rain.

this morning, I had this overwhelming urge to do something or anything. I wanted to really run but wanted to challenge myself to a new boot camp.
I opted for boot camp (this was my second day). The first day I went, we ran outside on a loop then stopped in a parking lot and did workous there, then run a half mile there then did more until we got back to the gym. Well, today was long run day.

I ran with the shorter run group not knowing how far the run was.
I started running,, mentally pushing myself bthe time I got to station 1, they were done!
I continued running to the next station, they were done!
We turned around and headed back. When I got back to the gym, they finished stretching!

I ran the whole way. the trainer told me afterwards to continue training and running my own pace.

I had to choose to either be frustrated because, gym buddy, decided to sleep in.
Or I could focus on the positive and pat myself for getting myself out of the house and running 3 miles

2013-06-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: Lovey

Originally posted by Lovey

I have had a few busy and weird days.

Yesterday I did a 3 mile run then went grocery shopping. I was greeted by the sight of the man parked next to my car, pleasuring himself. Yep, right there in his car, in the supermarket lot. I was so shocked, I hit the horn. He barely glanced at me and kept on going. I told security and they siad, " ok, well .."

Then we were at lacrosse games until after 10 pm in the rain.

this morning, I had this overwhelming urge to do something or anything. I wanted to really run but wanted to challenge myself to a new boot camp.
I opted for boot camp (this was my second day). The first day I went, we ran outside on a loop then stopped in a parking lot and did workous there, then run a half mile there then did more until we got back to the gym. Well, today was long run day.

I ran with the shorter run group not knowing how far the run was.
I started running,, mentally pushing myself bthe time I got to station 1, they were done!
I continued running to the next station, they were done!
We turned around and headed back. When I got back to the gym, they finished stretching!

I ran the whole way. the trainer told me afterwards to continue training and running my own pace.

I had to choose to either be frustrated because, gym buddy, decided to sleep in.
Or I could focus on the positive and pat myself for getting myself out of the house and running 3 miles

Good for you!
2013-06-29 12:07 PM

Veteran
Well fellow Turtles, I didn’t race today. Been feeling kinda low energy for the past few days and was feeling completely exhausted since yesterday. Went to bed early and woke up at 0200 feeling even worse. My body felt like it was made out of lead and every joint was stiff and painful to move. Just the thought of getting out of bed was tough. Told myself that I’d lay still for about 20 minutes then get up. Four hours later I opened my eyes still feeling low energy and stiff. To make matters worse the race was about a three hour drive away and scheduled to start in 30 minutes. I know that I wouldn’t make it so I went back to sleep for another two and half hours. Slept for a total of 14 hours and finally started to feel better.

While this is my first no-show in four years of racing I think that it was the best choice for me physically and mentally. While there is no doubt I could do the sprint distance I really didn’t want to do a six hour round trip drive feeling bad. Oddly enough despite my Type A personality I’m really not all that upset over the missed race.

I continue to feel that the rest was what my body needed the most and by doing this I will be able to resume my normal training on Monday with no ill effects. I’m reminded of a race I did two years ago that I started feeling bad. It was a terrible race, had a near drowning incident, almost crashed my bike, and barly made the run; came in last place too. It was a serious blow to my confidence and I almost get completely out of racing because of it. I was determined not to make the same mistake.

In the end I would rather miss one race and race again later then have another bad race the get out. I don’t ever want my hobby that I enjoy to become something that I have to and end up hating it.

Beth
2013-06-29 3:16 PM

Gold Coast, Australia

Beth, sounds like the done the right thing! When your body says no, too much, then it's time for a rest. As you say, missing a race is not a major drama, but pushing too hard and causing yourself injury or illness may well be. Good on you for backing off!

Lovey, congrats for getting out there and doing it. The rest of the group may have been faster, but we all train at our own level so judgements between people are just not useful. Good on you!

2013-06-30 5:38 AM

Gold Coast, Australia
I ran my  first Parkrun yesterday, and had a whale of a time. Around 120 runners in one of the local parks for a 5km run, and the enthusiasm of the runners and the volunteers was infectious.  Complete strangers were cheering each other as we passed on the course and there were smiles all round. I ran a much better time than I have previously (just under 35 minutes) and it's given me a confidence boost for the half marathon next weekend. Jim, you're absolutely right, running in a group, even though i knew no-one, was so much fun!
2013-06-30 9:42 AM

, Alabama

I ran my  first Parkrun yesterday, and had a whale of a time. Around 120 runners in one of the local parks for a 5km run, and the enthusiasm of the runners and the volunteers was infectious.  Complete strangers were cheering each other as we passed on the course and there were smiles all round. I ran a much better time than I have previously (just under 35 minutes) and it's given me a confidence boost for the half marathon next weekend. Jim, you're absolutely right, running in a group, even though i knew no-one, was so much fun!

Well done, it sounds like you had a great time! There is a park run quite close to my home town, based on your experience I may give it a try :-)

2013-06-30 9:48 AM

, Alabama
Well I must say total respect to you guys who train in the heat!!! I am on vacation in Bradenton, Florida. I went for an early morning run today, although clearly not early enough as it was already 72 degrees. I come from Ireland so heat is not something I am used to at all. I ran a 2.5k loop round the streets in the area, it was very nice particularly as the local squirrels decided it was a race and joined in! I also was accompanied by a stunning rainbow. I took water with me and sipped continually as I am unused to such weather. All in all it was fine, but HOT. Tomorrow I will get up earlier and try to run the loop twice. I need to run off all the goodies I am eating on holiday!!
2013-07-01 9:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

Well fellow Turtles, I didn’t race today. Been feeling kinda low energy for the past few days and was feeling completely exhausted since yesterday. Went to bed early and woke up at 0200 feeling even worse. My body felt like it was made out of lead and every joint was stiff and painful to move. Just the thought of getting out of bed was tough. Told myself that I’d lay still for about 20 minutes then get up. Four hours later I opened my eyes still feeling low energy and stiff. To make matters worse the race was about a three hour drive away and scheduled to start in 30 minutes. I know that I wouldn’t make it so I went back to sleep for another two and half hours. Slept for a total of 14 hours and finally started to feel better.

While this is my first no-show in four years of racing I think that it was the best choice for me physically and mentally. While there is no doubt I could do the sprint distance I really didn’t want to do a six hour round trip drive feeling bad. Oddly enough despite my Type A personality I’m really not all that upset over the missed race.

I continue to feel that the rest was what my body needed the most and by doing this I will be able to resume my normal training on Monday with no ill effects. I’m reminded of a race I did two years ago that I started feeling bad. It was a terrible race, had a near drowning incident, almost crashed my bike, and barly made the run; came in last place too. It was a serious blow to my confidence and I almost get completely out of racing because of it. I was determined not to make the same mistake.

In the end I would rather miss one race and race again later then have another bad race the get out. I don’t ever want my hobby that I enjoy to become something that I have to and end up hating it.

Beth

It sounds to me like your body told you what was going to happen on race day. The Turtles have had a bit of bad mojo when it comes to being healthy and refreshed come race day. We have got to break that, so I will sacrafice a rabbit to break the curse
2013-07-01 9:05 AM

Extreme Veteran

Great run Anna! I am always amazed and how much energy we garner from having others around us doing the same thing. Add in a crowd that's supportive and it's almost electric. Love that feeling
2013-07-01 11:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by NMS

Well I must say total respect to you guys who train in the heat!!! I am on vacation in Bradenton, Florida. I went for an early morning run today, although clearly not early enough as it was already 72 degrees. I come from Ireland so heat is not something I am used to at all. I ran a 2.5k loop round the streets in the area, it was very nice particularly as the local squirrels decided it was a race and joined in! I also was accompanied by a stunning rainbow. I took water with me and sipped continually as I am unused to such weather. All in all it was fine, but HOT. Tomorrow I will get up earlier and try to run the loop twice. I need to run off all the goodies I am eating on holiday!!

It's funny becuase the only thing we can due to get used to working out in heat is to work out in heat, but dang it's hard to do when you can chose a cool morning or evening. I like how you classify 72 as hot Alll I can say is don't come to Texas to workout becuase I would take 82ish at that time of the morning, everyday during the summer here.
2013-07-01 1:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Jim and Ashley,

Trust that Peto Primo will push both of you in the TDF Challenge. I was on a team with him the past two years and he is a great guy and has a very positive and encouraging attitude. Like I said I met people in the challenge in the past that I look to for guidance and help, and Peto is certainly one of them. Also Grahm Clarke was a Mentee with me in a group I was in before Mentoring and is a great guy and hard worker, just look at his logs.

2013-07-01 4:08 PM

Sorry guys i haven't been on In a while. I am on family vacation in charleston sc. The good news is i staying with a couple of triathletes and i brought my bike. I was supposed to go on a long ride yesterday but weather kept us from it. I May have to venture out by my self as he works 10 hour days. They have a bunch of magazines and books I've been reading to get me pumped up.
2013-07-01 4:35 PM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Sorry guys i haven't been on In a while. I am on family vacation in charleston sc. The good news is i staying with a couple of triathletes and i brought my bike. I was supposed to go on a long ride yesterday but weather kept us from it. I May have to venture out by my self as he works 10 hour days. They have a bunch of magazines and books I've been reading to get me pumped up.

He's Alive Now pump up your tires and go for a ride
2013-07-01 8:52 PM

Jim and Ashley,

Trust that Peto Primo will push both of you in the TDF Challenge. I was on a team with him the past two years and he is a great guy and has a very positive and encouraging attitude. Like I said I met people in the challenge in the past that I look to for guidance and help, and Peto is certainly one of them. Also Grahm Clarke was a Mentee with me in a group I was in before Mentoring and is a great guy and hard worker, just look at his logs.

Though I'm not quite sure what happens next, I'm looking forward to it!
2013-07-01 9:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by RZ0

Jim and Ashley,

Though I'm not quite sure what happens next, I'm looking forward to it!

You decide on the number of stages and mile or hours you will do. In a day or two they will post a link for a Spreadsheet and you will just go in and put your goals, then as you complete each stage and miles or hours you will log it. The spreadsheet will show you where you are at for your goals. You just want to be at 100% at the end of July 21st (last day of the Tour). Peto will likely be yall's captain and he can explain the spreadsheet and stuff to yall when it comes up or give me a shout and I'll walk you through it. Like I said, chat, ride, and enjoy - it will certainly lead to some new friends here in BT.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45