BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2008-01-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1110953

User image

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Subject: RE: Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED
Jeff,

Thanks for the nutrition tips and for the links - cool stuff.

I have a question of sorts. I am a fairly good swimmer - average on time but solid and rarely out of breath in the water. In one of my races, I was kicked in the throat as we entered the water (UNintentionally I'm sure) by a swimmer in front of me. I FREAKED out and took several minutes to gain my composure. By the time I got back to shore I was fine and finished the race; albeit with a very sore throat.

Here's the question...What is YOUR swim strategy? I've heard to start in the back on the outside but this is where I was when I got kicked. How good should you be to start in the front and on the inside? I think I could really benefit from drafting off of the better swimmers and I am not afraid to try but do I belong up there or would I be in the way? I feel like EVERYONE is starting in the back on the outside these days b/c that is where the "non-professionals" are told to go to avoid being in the way. Are there other strategies that may work better?

I haven't logged any pool workouts in a while but I generally swim 2:00-2:05/100M.

2008-01-15 7:50 PM

User image

New user

Jeffrey, I only skimmed through that base training article and I don't think it answered the question I have:

1) What, in your opinion, is the best way to train? Do you only run/bike/swim on some days and do some combination of the 3 on other days? Or is there some other method?

On a different note, I was in a spinning class today and my heart rate monitor showed my heart rate to be 198 at certain points. I really don't think it is suppose to be that high. There is a HR chart in the class room that showed for a 20-25 year old the max. HR is 200 and the "training HR" is 170. There may have been interference from other HRMs but in general, but what should my heart rate be when I am exercising? Thanks!
2008-01-15 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1158601

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2008-01-15 8:46 PM Jeff, Thanks for the nutrition tips and for the links - cool stuff. I have a question of sorts. I am a fairly good swimmer - average on time but solid and rarely out of breath in the water. In one of my races, I was kicked in the throat as we entered the water (UNintentionally I'm sure) by a swimmer in front of me. I FREAKED out and took several minutes to gain my composure. By the time I got back to shore I was fine and finished the race; albeit with a very sore throat. Here's the question...What is YOUR swim strategy? I've heard to start in the back on the outside but this is where I was when I got kicked. How good should you be to start in the front and on the inside? I think I could really benefit from drafting off of the better swimmers and I am not afraid to try but do I belong up there or would I be in the way? I feel like EVERYONE is starting in the back on the outside these days b/c that is where the "non-professionals" are told to go to avoid being in the way. Are there other strategies that may work better? I haven't logged any pool workouts in a while but I generally swim 2:00-2:05/100M.

You sound like you swim about my pace.  I'm a 1:45/100yd swimmer.  I use to be liek you and start in the back and on the outside and every other place I could think of.  Then I finally decided I was going to start were I thought I shoud, which was closer to the front.  And here is my reason.  I am a very good average swimmer.   Not super fast like some, but not slow and can get through an entire swim with little problems.  I would start more towards the front.  Depending on how big your wave is, within the first couple rows.  Figure the first couple rows are probably all good swimmers who are going to go out hard and be fast the entire time.  Then you are going to get your overachievers who will go out hard and die quickly.  You want to be in front of those people.  Then you have your people in the back who know they are going to be slow.

So my strategy is to start up front, try to draft off faster swimmers and avoid the washing machine.  The better swimmers are more awear of there surrounding and don't want to kick you anymore then you want to be kicked.  Plus you can avoid passing all the people who go out to hard and die.  In olympic distance races you don't want to be stuck in a slow pack of your own wave and start to come along slower people in the wave ahead of you.

As for drafting, practice this in a pool.  I still have problems doing this in a race.  I can never find anyone who is my speed or slightly faster.

2008-01-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1158605

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

WVUgirl10 - 2008-01-15 8:50 PM Jeffrey, I only skimmed through that base training article and I don't think it answered the question I have: 1) What, in your opinion, is the best way to train? Do you only run/bike/swim on some days and do some combination of the 3 on other days? Or is there some other method? On a different note, I was in a spinning class today and my heart rate monitor showed my heart rate to be 198 at certain points. I really don't think it is suppose to be that high. There is a HR chart in the class room that showed for a 20-25 year old the max. HR is 200 and the "training HR" is 170. There may have been interference from other HRMs but in general, but what should my heart rate be when I am exercising? Thanks!

Lets start off first with the training question.  The best way to train is preiodization.  This is dividing your season into blocks.  Here is an article that talks about it really well.  http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/periodization.html
For day to day training it depends on a couple things, 1. How much time do you have to train. 2. What are your goals for racing/triathlon. 3. What is your current fitness level.
I personally will train a lot of days, twice a day.  I always take at least one day per week as a rest or very very little work.  Example.  Today is rest, but my rest will include 20mins of core work and some stretching. Yesterday was an easy swim and hard bike intervals.  Tomorrow will be swim intervals and a long bike.  Friday will be a shorter bike and swim practice with the TriGators.  Sat a long bike.  you kind of get the idea.  I may do 2 workouts/day, but one is always easy or short.  And since I am in my base phase right now, the goal is increasing duration with moderate intesity.

HR is a very difficult thing.  I never use HR as a stand alone measure of exercise.  Most charts that you see use you age predicted max, which is 220-age.  Your max HR is more based on your fitness rather then your age.  While 198 is extremely high, it would not be uncommon for a girl your age if you are working at an all out effort.  And I've never liked the term "training HR." What is training.  Well it goes back to the periodization.  What are you training.  If you are looking to increase your base endurance, then you should have a HR around 60-65% max HR, looking to increase lactate threshold around 75%.  Get the point.  For a spinning class, you should probably be at least 70% of your max.  If you max HR is 200 based on the 220-age theory, going between 70-90%, your HR should be between 140-180.  And yes, you will get a lot of interference from other HRMs.

Hopefully this was more helpful then confusing.

2008-01-22 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
This is a pretty quite group.  Any questions?  Maybe not in particulary, but anything general you would like me to answer?
2008-01-22 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1169806

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
too busy training to comment!!!

Training seems to be going okay...I'm still having an issue mixing things up. I tend to just go - one speed, regular pattern of training - all cardio. I don't enjoy weight training by myself - any suggestions on the best weight training exercises for someone who really isn't a fan of machines but is intimidated by solo weight workouts? I know myself and can only see myself adding about 15 minutes onto my daily workouts as opposed to one long weight workout each week.

My "Kickstart" triathlon program started last night - we'll be training as a group on Mondays (swim) and Fridays (bike/run) for skill development. I think that will help give me some motivation also.

Happy trails everyone!

C

2008-01-22 7:54 PM

Veteran

Hi Jeff and group!!!  

- question regarding bike maintenannce and the dreaded 'changing a bike tire". Are others as in-ept as I am when it come to general bike maintance and changing a tire. I'm probably jinxing myself -however have not had to change a tire (ever) especially during a race. I've made it one of my goals to learn how to do this. Trying to convince the local bike store to run a clinic for dummies like me. How about the rest of you guys?

-Helen

2008-01-22 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1170816

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
HelenR - 2008-01-22 8:54 PM

Hi Jeff and group!!!  

- question regarding bike maintenannce and the dreaded 'changing a bike tire". Are others as in-ept as I am when it come to general bike maintance and changing a tire. I'm probably jinxing myself -however have not had to change a tire (ever) especially during a race. I've made it one of my goals to learn how to do this. Trying to convince the local bike store to run a clinic for dummies like me. How about the rest of you guys?

-Helen

Well Helen, before I was ever interested in triathlons, I build bikes.  So changing a tire was pretty easy for me.  Also, when I got my first road bike, the tire were not very strong and I got a flat 5mins into my first ride on the bike.  Then had another 5 flats over about 8-10 weeks, so I got pretty good at changing a tire.  Clinics are great, but you can't always get bike shops to put one on.  Most places will at least do a one-on-one training.  Plus you should always feel confident about doing it by yourself at home.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1223

Here is a link to a video for changing bike tires.  A BTer did it on there back pouch.  May be a little helpful.  And I think they say it in the video, but the most important thing about changing a tire is having the right equipment.

2008-01-23 12:07 AM
in reply to: #1170924

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
Hey Helen,

I have had to change the front and rear tires already - I bought a used bike that needed 2 new tubes...the internet has some great resources like Jeff said, that's how I figured it out. The hardest part is pushing the tire back on that last little bit without completely trashing your manicure!!! lol I also struggled with the back tire removal - two things that may help (that took me a little figuring) - the brake cable has a little release switch that allows the brake pads to move apart far enough to get the wheel out and the derailleur gets pushed back towards the rear of the bike...for some reason I kept trying to move it forward and couldn't release the wheel. Oh yeah, and invest in good tire irons - at least three! All that and a few cold ones - you'll be rockin! I probably sound like an idiot but I wasn't sure how to do it either...now we'll have to see how it goes on the fly (I'm gonna carry enough money for a cab!!)...I won't be tackling the tires on a ride though until I figure out how to release my clips in a hurry...that's my challenge right now!- I'm not going off the trainer for a while!!
2008-01-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1170662

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

mind over matter - 2008-01-22 7:24 PM too busy training to comment!!! Training seems to be going okay...I'm still having an issue mixing things up. I tend to just go - one speed, regular pattern of training - all cardio. I don't enjoy weight training by myself - any suggestions on the best weight training exercises for someone who really isn't a fan of machines but is intimidated by solo weight workouts? I know myself and can only see myself adding about 15 minutes onto my daily workouts as opposed to one long weight workout each week. My "Kickstart" triathlon program started last night - we'll be training as a group on Mondays (swim) and Fridays (bike/run) for skill development. I think that will help give me some motivation also. Happy trails everyone! C

Maybe you need to define mising things up for me?  You seem to do a lot of spin class and I would assume that they make you "mix things up" and that you are not always going one speed.  For the swim, I could easyly sent you a workout that would make you work harder.  As for the run, thats easy, when running add in 5x30" strides (run as hard/fast as you can) with 30" rest.  If you are using a treadmill, do a 15' warm-up, then 400m at 5k pace, 400m easy.  Do that like 4 times.  Cool down 10' and you've gone about 6K. 

Good luck with you triathlong program, they should also help you change things up and it will be nice to have people to train with.  As for weights.  I am a big fan and would like to see you getting in about an hour workouts 2-3 times/wk depending on where you are in the season.  But if all you can do and will do is 15mins I would suggest doing a bout of core/abs.  Strengthing your core will help prevent injuries and make all other disciplines easier.

2008-01-23 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1171317

User image

New user

Calgary, Alberta
True enough...the spin classes add variety, that's why I get those in more than my own bike...I guess I I feel like I am stuck in a pattern of training and am finding it challenging to to things like sprints, hills, etc. I guess I feel that there is this pressure to do a "workout" instead of just doing what feels good....

2008-01-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1173159

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

mind over matter - 2008-01-23 11:05 PM True enough...the spin classes add variety, that's why I get those in more than my own bike...I guess I I feel like I am stuck in a pattern of training and am finding it challenging to to things like sprints, hills, etc. I guess I feel that there is this pressure to do a "workout" instead of just doing what feels good....

Being able to do a hill workout or something different is great.  But I live in Florida and don't have access to hills.  Don't worry about training a specific kind of workout, just go out and have fun.  If you start worrying to much about, I have to do a hill workouts, I have to do some sprints.  You are going to dread going out to do your workout.  If you are on the trainer, just say "I'm going to drop it down a couple gears and see how long I can hold a high rpm."  Make little challenges and games out of workouts.

2008-01-25 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Jeff,
I would be interested in the swim workouts you mentioned a few posts ago. Are they similar to the swim workouts here on BT? I am hoping to join a pool this week so I can start getting some swim time in and building my swim base.

What are your thoughts on LAKE swims vs. OCEAN swims in actual triathlons? I don't like the ocean swims for obvious reasons cited earlier but lake swims freak me out b/c of the possibility of bacteria and also gators...REAL gators. Should I expect my times to be different in lake swims since there are no waves and no current to work against?
2008-01-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1175928

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2008-01-25 12:23 PM Jeff, I would be interested in the swim workouts you mentioned a few posts ago. Are they similar to the swim workouts here on BT? I am hoping to join a pool this week so I can start getting some swim time in and building my swim base. What are your thoughts on LAKE swims vs. OCEAN swims in actual triathlons? I don't like the ocean swims for obvious reasons cited earlier but lake swims freak me out b/c of the possibility of bacteria and also gators...REAL gators. Should I expect my times to be different in lake swims since there are no waves and no current to work against?

For the swim workouts you would just have to let me know what kinds of things you want to work on with swimming and I could post a workout or two.

In Florida, I hate both lake and ocean swims.  Alligators vs sharks.  Oceans can be kind of rough if its windy, but the current can also help you as well.  Lake swims are usually easier, but if you have a big enough lake and some winds, you can get some currents.  Swim times in the ocean and lake should be faster because the salt water makes you more bounent(spelling).  Now if you swim in a fresh water lake, its just like a pool.  Current and just the number of people around you can slow you down in both lakes and oceans.  I recommend practicing both if you get a chance.

2008-01-29 11:22 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Something that has come up here before and I just saw in a group members blog, WEIGHT TRAINING.

I am a huge fan of weight training, and now that i'm off crutches, you will see that I am getting back to the gym more often.  I use weight training as a mode of injury prevention.  We place a lot of stress on our bodies through all the cardio we do, so we need to have strong muscles and joints to protect us.  What frequency I recommend to my athletes for weight training is completely dependent on where they are in there season and what there goals are.  During offseason I will have them lifting between 3-5 days per week.  During preseason, about 3 times a week.  During season twice a week and then I never have them lift for 2wks before a big race.  Most of my workouts are strength specific to triathlon.  I do a lot of legs and lower body and focus upper body on strength specific to swimming.

Probably the most important part of strength training is training the abs/core.  This can be done everyday in a 15-20 minute routine.  Core strength helps your entire body to work together and allows power transfer to the run or bike.

With all this being said, strength training does have a downside.  You need to make sure you keep up your flexibility when strength training. So STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH.  It is best to stretch after a workout when your body is at its warmest point.  This is when you will make the most improvements flexibility.

MYTHS: I'm a girl, so I don't want to get big muscles.  Females don't produce enough testosterone to get bukly like males.  So unless you are taking steriods you have no worries. 

2008-02-01 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
So we are 1 month in to the New Year.  How is everyone doing with training and their goals.  So far I have lost 10lbs.  Killing some miles on the bike and getting in a good amount of swimming.  Hopefully Feb will allow me to start running.  Or at least get out of the walking boot.

2008-02-02 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
I was doing great until my most recent food poisoning incident - boy, that really slowed me down for about a week. I am definitely more consistent with my run and bike workouts and also with my weight training. I have been more focused with my nutrition so far this year and am trying to eat the right combination of protein, carbs and fats...it is tougher than I thought but I hope to see some improvements in my body composition soon.

I am still undecided about joining a pool or buying a wetsuit and just swimming in my UNheated pool with my stationary swimmer (I usually don't start swimming until late March/early April). I am hoping February is a good month for building my swim base and running and biking a bit farther than last month.
2008-02-15 3:25 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
How is everyone doing.  Are we getting excited about our first race of the season.  Does anyone not have any races planned.
2008-02-16 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1215044

User image

Veteran
Cazenovia
Pretty hard to get excited about racing right now since my first triathlon isn't until mid-June. But last week's 5k run was very fun and bicycling races will start in April, so yes, a little excitement is building. I'm just happy that the days are starting to get longer and I can start thinking about commuting to work on the bike finally! Ok, realistically, I still have at least a month before that will happen......

2008-02-17 8:47 PM

User image

Expert
I don't have any triathlons set in stone yet but I do have some 5K & 10K races starting in March.
I am waiting to see how the oceans are this year before I register for tri's with ocean swims...last year the rip currents were terrible and many of the races canceled the swim and held a run-bike-run. Unfortunately, my run is my worst area and I didn't want to have to do it twice if I could avoid it! ha ha ha
2008-02-27 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Hi Group! I am having a tough week with work, sick family members and lots of missed workouts. I can't seem to find the time (or energy) to do anything, let alone jump on the trainer for a quick ride.

What do you do to get "back on track" when you get out of your regular routine? Any and ALL advice is appreciated!

2008-02-27 8:25 PM

Veteran

Heh gang- sorry about the lack of posts- busy with work/ training, work and life!! 

-I have a 30 km race end March- Around The Bay- the oldest race in apparently North America (older than Boston) It's a tough course (darn hills- and dont have any hills here in SW Ontario-henceforth any grade anywhere kills me (however -  do ok with wind???!!)-anyway- its been tough staying motivated- I think especially since its  cold and miserable out. I think the only thing right now keeping me motivated is the race coming up. Wish I had some motivaion for the dieting part- becasue that is truly lacking!!!

-Helen

-

2008-02-27 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Sorry, this is the one area I don't know if I can help with.  I have no family or other real responsibility.  As for work/school.  I just always make sure I have time for training.  I use to work 80hrs a week and have no social/personal life.  Now, I've just finally realized that its not that important.  What good is being successful or rich if you are miserable.  I just always make sure to schedule me time (a.k.a. training time).
2008-03-12 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Quick question for the group...
If you only run 2-3 times per week, how would you structure your runs? I have one that is a long run (5-6 mi) and one usually has fartleks scattered throughout. I used to do "speed" workouts but they never made me faster (over a 6-month period).

Now I am struggling to get back to my normal 9:40 pace but mainly b/c I have been struggling with seasonal illnesses (children & myself). Any suggestions?
2008-03-12 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1267011

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

surfnturf - 2008-03-12 11:01 AM Quick question for the group... If you only run 2-3 times per week, how would you structure your runs? I have one that is a long run (5-6 mi) and one usually has fartleks scattered throughout. I used to do "speed" workouts but they never made me faster (over a 6-month period). Now I am struggling to get back to my normal 9:40 pace but mainly b/c I have been struggling with seasonal illnesses (children & myself). Any suggestions?

Dana,

Here is my suggestions.  And this kind of depends on how your other workouts are structured.  But with 2-3 runs/week I would make one of them a long run.  I wouldn't do any "speed" work during your long run.  The purpose of a long run is to build endurance.  I would do one workout of "speed."  Preferablly if you can get to a track and do this workout, otherwise you can do it during your normal routes.  Instead of using distance use time.  And if you can get in a 3rd run I would just use it as a recovery run.  Maybe after a hard bike or swim day.  Or even after the hard run day.  Here are 2 examples I would give clients of run workouts.  This is assuming your long run is 6 miles

At the track:
1 mile warm-up run
stretch anything that feels tight
3x400 with RI of 200 easy jogs (400's should be at around an 8:30min/mile pace)
Jog an EZ 800 with strides at the beginning and at 400 mark. (strides last for 30"
Cool-down 800
Stretch

3-mile route
10' warm-up
5x1' at 80% with 1' rest interval
10' cool-down
Stretch
This should take about 30mins and get you about 3miles.

For the speed workouts you really need to push yourself hard.  For the long run you need to concentrate on form/hydration and pacing.  Don't go fast out, then slow down, then pick it up, then slow down.  Get into a comfortable pace and hold it the entire run.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeffrey Parr's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 5