2011-01-28 6:20 PM
in reply to: #3327800

Subject: RE: Deb's Group OPEN
Let me know my next step!!

2011-01-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3275529

Hi my name is Scott,
I am forty four, married to a lovely supportive wife, and the father of a beautiful 13 year old girl.  I seem to have fallen out of shape over the past 25 years or so and am hoping by committing to complete a triathlon in May or June I will improve my shape and begin a healthier lifestyle.  I am not brand new to triathlons as I completed a sprint triathlon last March but I was painfully slow(walked the whole run) and did little to stay in shape after the event.  I just joined the website and read through earlier posts.  I assume since the title still includes 'Open" that I can join.  

2011-01-29 9:54 PM
in reply to: #3325920

User image

New user
runsamirun -- Okay all I am thinking about doing the Los Alamitos (california) reverse tri on Feb. 26. I am absolutely not ready at all but it looks really fun. It's on a military base and there will be military helicopters and stuff lining the course. And every participant will get dog tags when they finish. looks like a good time. And the swim is only in the pool. much less intimidating. hmmm......

I ran a 5K last summer on a military runway in Hawaii. It was awesome. They had all sorts of planes lined up along the course (which was the actual runway). Very cool, I say do it!
2011-01-30 12:47 AM

New user

Hi Scott, Deb is still out of town so we are still waiting to see if we can join or not. Let's cross our fingers! Laughing

Roliver: Wow, running up a mountain!!! I can't imagine even running that distance on flat ground yet, let alone up a mountain. I am hoping that some day I will feel differently! I'm sure it will definitely be great training for you for the half ironman though. The bad news is, they may not have been kidding when they called it America's toughest marathon then. LOL! Really awesome that you're doing it though!

missyw2you: In Hawaii! That must have been awesome! Well, I bit the bullet and signed up!!! Eek! I'm so nervous. I'm not really in the best shape and not ready at all, but, yea, seeing the military aircraft lined up on the runway and running on the runway sounds so awesome I really don't want to pass it up. I asked the people in the California forum about it, and they said it is very beginner friendly! It's also a reverse tri which sounds easier to me for some reason.  (Don't know why!) It's a good opportunity to try one out since it's so beginner friendly I think.
2011-01-31 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3315952

Veteran
Subject: runsamirun
Hi runsamirin,
welcome to the group, and welcome to triathlon.  Don't worry about not being a great swimmer, it'll come.  It is not uncommon for many triathletes to have done their first season doing some kind of modified breast stroke/doggy paddle.  Not easy to learn to swim as an adult only because we forget that learning new skills were not easy as kids either, but when kids, we were more likely to take pride in the little successes verses wanting total success from the get go.  that said, regarding swim lessons, that's up to you.  You have to know what works for you and what will make you feel comfortable.  lessons are great if you have a good coach, or join a master's swim team, or watch a coached lesson, or go onto utube and watch lessons there, etc., etc.  Regarding etiquette, I'll go over that when race time comes, but the people who will get bent out of shape generally aren't doing sprints.  there are some basic things you should not do, like pass on the left or box someone in on the bike, but you'll be pleased at how helpful and friendly other racers are. 

welcome to the group, and get swimming!  :-)
2011-01-31 7:07 PM

Veteran
Subject: I'm back!
Hello all,
I'm back in the country and excited about the coming season!  Nothing like vacation to help get focused on goals, not to mention hours on the plane to read bike, running and tri magazines. 

New format -- I'm going to start putting the name of the person I'm responding to in the Subject line - I may forget now and then, but once I get the routine down, it will be easier for people to find the message that answers their questions and see messages meant for them as follow-up.  for example, a couple weeks ago, someone asked about the swim, but was comfortable with what he was doing and the fact that he had to spend the race of the race catching up to the front runners.  Having read an article on swimming, I'm going to follow-up on my comments with some simple things he can do without investing a lot of extra time into the swim when he doesn't really want to.

also, if you have not done so, please do make your training log visible to the rest of the group -- or at least to me. 

Here are my race plans for the season so you kow where I am at in the training world.  Century ride in February, half marathon in March, 70.3 in April, another 70.3 in May (not recommended to do so close together, but the second is a friend adventure), August half maration, September 70.3, and November a full ironman.  

Happy Training,

Deb 

2011-01-31 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3316887

Veteran
Subject: bretstevens262
Hi Bret,
Welcome to the group.  really, you are new to tri? You have the jersey already - does that mean you have been a cyclist already?  that does make things easier as you already know the rules of the road, but even if not, these things are all easy to pick up.  again, welcome to the group!
2011-01-31 7:13 PM
in reply to: #3316895

Veteran
Subject: Calamity
Hi Calamity,
welcome, and good for you for getting back off the couch.  I saw a fridge magnet once at a bike shop that had the picture of a guy sitting on a coach, beer belly, t-shirt, and tube socks, watching tv.  His wife is saying, "you can't still be recovering."  in other words, we all do it, and it's easy to get into the state of no motion.  glad you are here
2011-01-31 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3317330

Veteran
Subject: Mel

Hi Mel,

welcome to the group.  congratulations for signing up.  which one is it?  what to tell a newbie -- stay inspired and don't decide not to do the race because you didn't train as hard as you had hoped.  A newbie should most be concerned about getting that first race down, not being so rigid that you end up hating it.  when i first started doing marathons, i did the first two without following a training plan and loved running.  then i decided to follow a plan and was so rigid in my training that i ended up hating running.  have fun, stay inspired, get a routine, and do the little things to stay active when you don't have time.  12 minutes running is better then no minutes running. 

again, welcome.

Deb

2011-01-31 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3319260

Veteran
Subject: missyw2you
Hi Melissa,
welcome to the group.  you are right, everyone's life situation is different, and being a chemical engineer student is pretty demanding too.  i went to law school and found ways to study while working out -- for example, i would tape myself asking questions that I needed to memorize, build in a pause, then give myself the answer.  then when I went running, i would listen to the recording.  man, I knocked out some miles that way. 

the SheRox race in Philly is awesome.  thanks for the book recommendation -- I'm going to check it out.  inspiration is something we are never short of so I am always looking for good recommendations. 

Congrats on loosing the weight and being motivated.  Doing a triathlon will definately give you a sense of accomplishment, the SheRox is particularly awesome in cheering you on in reaching your goal.  I have also found that finishing a race carries over into life.  when you've completed a race, or even a good workout session, you feel ready to take on the world -- especially helpful in getting trhough a tough program like chemical engineering. 

again, welcome to the group. 

deb
2011-01-31 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3319342

Veteran
Subject: whiskyride
Hey Whiskyride,

welcome to the group, and congrats on a great year last year.  I too live in Texas now after four years on the East coast, 4 on the west, 5 overseas.  Texas is pretty great for triathlons in that there isn't six months of winter to mess with training, or be an excuse for not training.  :-)  

What is your background?  you had a really nice swim time on the HIM.   How did the 1/2 marathon go?  which HIM are you doing this year?

2011-01-31 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3319587

Veteran
Subject: serenityau - John
Hey John,

welcome to the group, and as the friend that got me into tris says,  DNS >DNF>DFL   thanks to her, i knew what your post meant and it made me laugh out loud. 

I've a friend doing trias in Australia -- I should put the two of you in touch.  You ought to have quite the national pride with your athletes, or be quite intimidated.  You bring up an issue a friend and I have been discussing regarding tris.  what does it mean to be a clyde or athena.  for a woman, you get to be in the athena group if you are over 150.  i'm 5'9", wear a size six, and I'm over 150.  so are the clyde/athena groups based on the makeup of those doing tris, or is it based on short little people in pro shape?  i'm being a bit snarky when I say that, but when I was looking at tri bikes, i checked out the bikes the pro women were riding and the size of the women riding them as a means to find out what bike might be good for me.  it was really hard to find a pro woman that was my height.

that's a long winded way of saying, clyde doesn't mean that much in my book.  have fun, enjoy the training, the races and no worries on the size if you feel you are in shape. 

again, welcome

2011-02-01 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3319589

Veteran
Subject: RE: Deb's Group CLOSED
goodmorning everyone.  a quick note to let everyone who asked to be in the group before 2/1 is in -- i just have not had the time to reply to all the posts made while i was on vacation.  i will try to finish all the hellos tonight (after my basketball games). 

~deb
2011-02-02 12:22 PM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Deb's Group FULL
New Zoot Ultra TT 2.0 came in this morning.  Very uncomfortable on lunchtime run.  Maybe need to get used to the "thin" feel. 
2011-02-02 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3335398

Regular
Spruce Grove
Subject: RE: Deb's Group FULL
So is anyone/everyone setting goals for February? This is the month I'm planning to get more serious about my training, up to now I've just been working on building some skill in biking and running! But now I'm three months out of my first tri and I want to give myself some more concrete goals:

Run: 75km total
Bike: 100 km total
Swim: 4000m at least

Anyone else want to share?
2011-02-02 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3319589

Veteran
Subject: Melissa
Hi Melissa,

welcome to the group, and great for you on getting into shape so quickly after the 3rd.  I think the best way to be ready for a Sprint is to find one and sign up! 

where do you live?

2011-02-02 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3320765

Veteran
Subject: Casey
Hi Casey,
congratulations on the cancer victory.  and good for you on signing up for the sprint.  I delayed doing a triathlon for years because of the swim -- when I finally did one, I found it was actually easier then the marathons because it's a lot less distance on your feet and having finished the swim, I was on cloud 9 the whole way -- so proud of myself.  If you've always been a runner, I do think you will find the sprint is relatively easy -- just get through the swim and if you are already swimming 3x a week, you will do fine. 
2011-02-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3324737

Veteran
Subject: Laurie
Hi Laurie,

congratulations on signing up for the tri, and welcome to the group.  If you are doing a try a tri, you will find a very supportive group on race day as everyone is trying one.  it will be a good opportunity to learn how the transition thing works too.  You will be ready for an Olympic in no time. 
2011-02-02 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3325139

Veteran
Subject: shaneo01
Hi Shane,

congrats on being a veteran.  ")  once you have done one, the unknowns are gone and those now on are whether you can do it, not how do you do it.

welcome,

deb
2011-02-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3327800

Veteran
Subject: Edwin1

Nice job on rising to the occassion when the doc told you things needed to change.  Too often people know they need to change but don't.  As far as getting started on a tri, just get out there and exercise.  there are various books out there -- I suggest going to the book store and browsing at what they have there and don't buy without reading through some to see if they click for you.  everyone is motivated differently and everyone clicks with one style or another.  have a look and see what clicks for you.  of course, any time you have questions, please ask.

welcome,

Deb

2011-02-02 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3328507

Veteran
Subject: Scott
Hi Scott, and welcome to the group.  great for you that your wife is supportive.  have you ever read the book Ultra Marathon Man?  It's a good book, and there is a part about how his relationship with his wife and kids actually got better -- of course, we didn't ask his wife and kids if they agree, but it probably is -- improves your mood, sense of satisfaction, more energy, time together is better time together, etc.  hey, you have one race down -- that's a start.  let's keep going.

2011-02-02 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3335398

Veteran
Subject: roliver
say, i'm curious why you switched to the Zoots?  I actually have a friend who has written a book about the thinner sole shoe, but makes some good points on why they are not for everyone.  i don't know if you saw my earlier post, but I bought some thin soled shoes too -- they were GREAT on the treadmill.  outside, ew. 
2011-02-02 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3335466

Veteran
Subject: Laurie
Hi Laurie,

Decent on the goals.  If you hit those, you are sprint race ready.  What kind of bike do you have?
2011-02-02 7:03 PM

Veteran
Subject: Bikes

Hello all,

One of the biggest issues for me when I started tris was what bike to buy.  I have a nice mt. bike and used that for my first Sprint, but mt. biking is great on the trails, not so great on the road.  I read, researched, test road, asked for input, etc.  I was looking to spend around $800.  In the end, I bought one for $1100 and it was/is a wonderful bike -- very well worth the money.  For me, I love Trek -- but like shoes, you have to find the one that fits you best.  One issue though was the bike sales people having no idea what they are doing.  Just because they work at a bike store doesn't mean they know what they are doing, so be sure to read about fit before you go too so you can cue in on whether they have a clue.  I could straddle a 60 cm bike, but the sales man tried to sell me a women specific 52 cm. I left because the bike was not comfortable and I had read that the women specific bike is great for shorter women, but is not really meant for taller women -- which is why you won't find a 58 cm women's specific.  I want to another store, the salesman didn't treat me like an idiot, explained fit to me, and i ended up with a 56cm.  that was 100s of miles ago and the bike is still wonderful. 

i admit, I have upgraded because I crashed last summer just before a race and couldn't get my bike fixed fast enough (two week wait).  my upgrade, i was going to go with a tri specific bike -- again, the sales person insisted I have a 54 cm based on his standing next to me and deducting from my height that I needed smaller than he -- sorry guys, but you are funny about the height thing.  women are generally a lot more legs then men so they don't need a smaller bike than you.  just to humor the sales person, i took the 54 cm for a ride then came back and said, "ok, now can i ride the 56cm?"  it fit much better -- but I ended up with a Trek Madone road bike instead -- I LOVE this bike. 

that said, my first road bike ever was a Fleet Farm bike.  I loved that bike too!

2011-02-02 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3336239

Regular
Spruce Grove
Subject: RE: Laurie
Right now - just a mountain bike! I'm looking to get an introductory road bike this month sometime - probably a Trek Lexa S.

sheesleeva - 2011-02-02 5:47 PM Hi Laurie,

Decent on the goals.  If you hit those, you are sprint race ready.  What kind of bike do you have?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Deb's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 6