BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-01-05 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3946995

Regular
Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK

How's everyone doing?  It was warm enough to run outdoors in Green Bay today!  Felt great.

Local news had coverage of the Green Bay Marathon (someday) kick off event last night. Keynote speaker was an incredible story about a lady who lost her left leg but completed Kona with a prostethic.

Link here: http://www.wbay.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=6609620&h1=Runner%20with%20Prosthetic%20Leg%20Inspires%20Marathoners&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=119733&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport&activePane=info&rnd=44481069

Take the time to watch it!  It's awesome!

2012-01-05 7:32 PM

Subject: RE: Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK
It has been far too long since I have taken the bike out.  Running and swimming every other day and doing crossfit on the days in between.  Hopefully the trails are dry enough to mountain bike this weekend. 
2012-01-05 7:54 PM

User image

Chelsea

Perfect day in Michigan. About 45 degrees, clear ski, almost full moon.  This time of year it is hard to get a run in after work and before dark. But with the moon I got outside for a 40 minute run.

This is my current training week.

Running 3 times a week, usually Tuesday, Friday, Sunday. Total of about 8 miles. I have been running with a HRM trying to keep heart rate in the 140 to 148 range. On the treadmill this is about 11 minutes per mile. The road around my house are pretty hilly, so I end up walking up the hills to keep my heart rate in the zone. This brings my average pace so something between 12 and 13 minutes per mile.

Swim twice a week, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. Workouts range from 500 to 1000 yards depending upon how I feel.

I'm not doing any bike work right now because of the cold. I have tried the stationary bikes at the gym, but find it really dull. If anyone has advice on how to get some bike training in the winter let me know.

2012-01-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3973892

Regular
Canton, MI

AWESOME everyone! It looks like from the logs and from what people are posting, quite a few of you are familiar with Heart rate training. That's definitely a helpful tool when you're trying to build a base.

gearhart - 2012-01-05 8:54 PM

Perfect day in Michigan. About 45 degrees, clear ski, almost full moon.  This time of year it is hard to get a run in after work and before dark. But with the moon I got outside for a 40 minute run.

This is my current training week.

Running 3 times a week, usually Tuesday, Friday, Sunday. Total of about 8 miles. I have been running with a HRM trying to keep heart rate in the 140 to 148 range. On the treadmill this is about 11 minutes per mile. The road around my house are pretty hilly, so I end up walking up the hills to keep my heart rate in the zone. This brings my average pace so something between 12 and 13 minutes per mile.

Swim twice a week, Thursday night and Saturday afternoon. Workouts range from 500 to 1000 yards depending upon how I feel.

I'm not doing any bike work right now because of the cold. I have tried the stationary bikes at the gym, but find it really dull. If anyone has advice on how to get some bike training in the winter let me know.

Last year I tried riding up until we had snow on the ground. I quit after it got down to like 35 degrees. I'm fairly sure it was because I didn't have the appropriate clothes (winter cycling clothes are pretty freakin expensive too). I just decided to get a trainer and I set it up in front of the tv. I was watching band of brothers yesterday and it seemed to make the time fly by

2012-01-06 6:40 AM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

Plan currently is to run Tue, Thur, Sun.   It's basically a C25K type of program (intermediate style...LOL)  Because my base has dropped to next to nothing sadly.  When I get my base up, I'll have a little more "form" to the training.  Longer runs on Sun, etc...

I am going to be adding in some cross training into the mix next week, because my legs seem to stay injury free much better that way.  So on M-W-F's you'll see some bike (trainer while it's chilly) or swimming & a few rather random things thrown in.  Like an hour of Massage, because I do that on the side and it can be hard work some times.  Wink

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-06 6:40 AM
2012-01-06 11:11 AM

Regular
Canton, MI

Below is an overview of triathlon gear for the beginner. This meant to be for someone completely new to the sport. I have pretty much everything below so if you have any questions, fire away. Hopefully this list will provide some insight as to what are the key things you should look into purchasing when first starting off.

Feel free to chim in with anything you think I've missed or a cool little gadget that you use that might make training and racing easier and more efficient.

Triathlon Gear 101: Where do I start?

I think every triathlete known to man has a little disease called “Gear Acquisition Syndrome”, the idea that no matter how much gear you buy, or how many gadgets you have, there is always a need to for more stuff. The beginner triathlete only really needs a handful of items to get started.

MUST-HAVE SWIM GEAR

• Goggles
  • Swim Cap

Goggles are pretty much the only thing that you absolutely need to swim, for obvious reasons. Purchasing your dream pair of goggles may take a bit of trial and error. Each brand and style fits your face a little bit differently so don’t be afraid to ditch the pair you are currently using and try another one out if they are uncomfortable and/or leaking.

While not mandatory, Swim caps are a great thing because:

1. They protect your hair somewhat from harsh pool chemicals
  2. They keep your hair from falling out into the pool so it doesn’t end up in the pool’s filter or worse yet, someone’s mouth
  3. In an open water setting, brightly colored caps allow you to stay somewhat visible to people in boats, jet skis, etc.

OPTIONAL SWIM GEAR

• Silicone Ear Plug
  • Water Proof MP3 Player
  • Various pool training tools (flippers, pull buoys, hand paddles, etc)
  • Wetsuit, Neoprene cap and boots

Ear plugs are especially helpful if you find yourself getting dizzy upon exiting the pool or the lake. This lack of balance is most likely caused by water trapped in your inner ear. I’ve seen a couple of people fall over in the transition area while trying to get their gear for the bike collected because they’re so disoriented from this.

If you do your homework pertaining to race selection (which I’ll cover at a later date) you should be able to avoid having to buy a wetsuit until after your first and possibly your second season of triathlon.  Wetsuits offer added insulation during colder swims and increased buoyancy enabling the swimmer to stay at the surface of the water more easily. This in turn will shave minutes off of your swim time. If you need some help in purchasing one of these, please ask. I just bought one last spring and did a whole bunch of research. Neoprene Caps a Boots are often used for very cold swims. Last season a couple of the swims here in Michigan were in the low 60’s upper 50’s so depending on where you live, these might be a good idea

Pool training devices are either celebrated or shunned in the triathlon community. There are some that say using these devices can actually do more harm than good if you don’t have proper technique. General rule of thumb, if you have a swim coach or take some lessons and they instruct you to use these things and show you how to use them properly you shouldn’t have a problem. Generally one gets faster at swimming by utilizing better technique and not these pool toys. I bought all of these toys because I thought it was the cool thing to do. I’ve noticed the biggest gains in my swimming from simply swimming more. In fact, using the swim hand paddles actually started to hurt my shoulders after I’d use them.

The water proof MP3 player is simply a tool to help make the time pass more quickly. Swimming back and forth while staring at a black line at the bottom of the pool can be pretty boring. I would not suggest using these in an open water swimming situation.

MUST-HAVE BIKE GEAR

• Bike
  • Helmet
  • Water bottle cages, water bottles

For your first triathlon, any bike will do the trick as long as the tires hold air and the shifters work properly you’re good to go. You may even be able to borrow a bike from a friend making the cost impact even less. I used my mountain bike for my first race and it worked perfectly.

You will not be able to leave the transition area for the bike portion of a race without a Helmet strapped to your head. Furthermore, wearing a helmet is a good habit to get into. Any helmet that is certified by the safety commission of your country/ state will do the trick. The local bike store will be able to assist you in buying.

Depending on how long your training rides are, taking some hydration with you on the bike is probably a good thing. Personally I usually have one water bottle mounted in between my aero bars and one on the down tube. There are a plethora of creative ways people have found to mount hydration to their bikes. For race day, I’d suggest at least one water bottle on your bike somewhere with either water, sports drink or a mixture of the two (this is what I do as it cuts down on the sugary after taste).

OPTIONAL BIKE GEAR

• Clipless pedals/toe cradles
  • Sunglasses
  • Bike Trainer

Clipless Pedals (which are actually pedals that allow bike shoes to clip onto them, go figure) are an item, while optional,  can have a serious impact in how much power you are able to exert on the pedals. They allow you to not only push down with your legs, but pull up. I should note that it’s definitely not a good idea to try these out race day without any prior experience. Spend some time with your bike propped up against something, clip in/clip out over and over again. Then take your bike out somewhere away from traffic and try it while moving. The sidewalk or an empty parking lot would do the trick. These things take some getting used to and there is a good likely hood you will fall a handful of times before you get the hang of it.

Sunglasses are very helpful at blocking wind and other debris from your eyes while you’re cruising on your bike. Plus, squinting constantly (which is what I did when I first started out) will definitely make biking less enjoyable. Any Pair will do.

A bike trainer is a very helpful tool for riding year round. I bring my bike in doors and use the trainer when the weather dips below 40 most years. If you plan on skipping outdoor riding during the winter and you want to maintain your bike fitness, a trainer is an excellent option. Cycle-ops and Kurt make some very good models.

MUST-HAVE RUN GEAR

• Running Shoes
  • Socks

In my opinion, a nice pair of running shoes is the most important piece of equipment on this list.  My suggestion is, if available, go to a local running specialty store and have a sales person analyze your gait while you walk in front of them. They’ll then be able to properly place you in the right kind of shoe. Not all shoes are the same. Neutral cushioned, Motion Control and Stability shoes all serve a certain purpose. I’ll point you towards an article Running World published in 2003 explaining all of the shoe types and what they do and who they’re for. Click Here

Don’t under estimate the importance of a decent/nice pair of socks.  Pretty much any sock made of some sort of polyester will be head and shoulders above your normal cotton socks. These allow sweat to wick away from your feet and can help prevent blisters and other irritations. Also, if you find that you are still experiencing problems with blisters, you may need more padding between your foot and the sole of your running shoes. Enter the blister prevention sock. These socks offer cushioning in places that are known to be target points for a lot of people (the ball of your foot, the heel).

OPTIONAL RUN GEAR

• Sunglasses (can be the same ones you use while biking)
  • Race belt
  • Hydration

Sunglasses – See Bike Gear

A race belt is my favorite little gadget I’ve purchased in the last 3 years (with the exception of my TT bike). This little thing allows you to attach your race bib without using safety pins on your shirt.  I use something like THIS. Finally you don’t have to put holes in your shirts!

In general, I’ve found that my body doesn’t need hydration for anything less than 6 miles, unless it’s a really hot day. When I run over this amount I take a hydration belt or hand held bottle with me. Everyone will be different. Some people just like the idea of having something with them just in case. This is a great idea as only you know what your own body needs. If you have any questions pertaining to hydration and fueling, please ask.  While this subject can be individually specific, I’ll do my best to work with you in finding the right combo so that you can operate at your maximum potential.

Clothing

There is always much discussion on various message boards I frequent pertaining to what type of clothing should be worn for each specific activity. My personal opinion is train/race in whatever makes you feel comfortable.  If people have a problem with the clothes you’re wearing, that is their problem.

I’m personally a fan of the tri-top and tri short combo. I’ve tried the one piece suits and they never seem to fit correctly. When I first started I was deathly afraid to be seen in spandex. Now I live in the stuff. It’s function over form in this case.

I will say this though, for sprint distance triathlons, the races are so short that it makes sense to wear one outfit for everything. 

2012-01-06 2:53 PM

User image

Chelsea

Bryan great post, very helpful. I have a couple of questions.

First - I am interested in hearing your wet suit advice. Even though this is my first season, I am thinking about getting a wet suit. I am planning to take an OWS course this spring and I am worried that the water will still be cold and I won't be able to just pack up and go home because I am in a class. I also do a lot of my summer swimming in a lake up north. I don't count this as open water swimming because I swim back and forth between the dock and a mooring ball and can stand up everywhere in between. Really more like swimming laps from the dock. But it is a big cold lake and I can really only stand to be in the water for about 2 months at the height of summer.

Second - How hard is it to set up and take down a bike trainer? I have thought about this as an option for winter bike training but am not foolish enough to suggest to my wife that I need a bike trainer permanently set up in the living room. The extra bedroom is my daughter's toy zone and I don't have a basement. So a bike trainer would have to be something I could set up just for workouts and then store away in the garage.

Chris

Edited by gearhart 2012-01-06 2:55 PM
2012-01-06 6:19 PM

User image

New user

Simi Valley, California

great article,

i would like to know about this wetsuit advice, and if there are any rules about when to use/not to use a wetsuit. I have one, and wow, is it a pain to take on and off.

also, what do you wear under your wetsuit...seems a little odd to get out of the suit in transition and start biking in a bathing suit (i may be missing something there)...

- Ella

2012-01-06 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3972793

Tecoma, Melbourne, Australia
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-06 4:26 AM

Almost done with my first essay on triathlon gear 101. Should be up tonight sometime, eastern standard time. Hopefully everyone is ready to get down to training. I wrote the essay just as kind of like a help file for people who are just starting out and trying to figure out cost wise, the bare essentials in gear.

Also, Lets start off the training portion of the group. I hope everyone has been checking in, only a couple of people have been posting on a regular basis.

I know everyone posted how many days/hours they expect to have to devote towards training. How does your week shake down?

I'll start:

I usually train (or atleast work out) 6-7 days a week. Being newly married and not having any kids affords me this luxury. most weeks in the winter. I'll do a combination of  swimming/running on one day and bike the next, rinse repeat, with a long run of about 12-13 miles on the weekends (currently training for a 70.3, musselman in NY), although this has been eaten a couple of time by the holidays.

Eventually I'd like to work strength training and possibly some yoga into my workout routine but am constantly reminded by my wife that this hobby doesn't bring in any income and she likes to actually see her husband.

Lets see whatcha got. Don't be shy about your training, that's why we're all here.

Hi there

Thanks for the info on the gear - A waterproof mp3 player is definitely on my wish list!  (And of course the new bike but there's conditions attached to that one!!)  

Re training, my little boys are young and in bed early (7pm).  SInce we're at the height of Summer it's light till nearly 9pm so I have plenty of time to train......I am just not physically able to do more than about 30-40 minutes due to my lack of fitness!.  Still, I am trying to make it out the door most days for a run or a swim (still have to post yesterday's run workout).  I too am trying to stay in heart rate zone two....to this end I have a question...I live the Dandenong Ranges and while I have a beautiful setting of rainforest/national park trails to run in, it is VERY hilly.  This means I am constantly running for only about 30-60secs before I have to walk for at least that long really slowly to get my heart rate back down.  I am doing this right or should I be power walking up the hills and stay in Z2 that way?  My concern with doing it that way is that I would only ever get to run down hill.....

Next week I am starting a strength program a couple of times a week, and lastly, starting tomorrow I plan on utilising the nutrition plan on this site.  I think I may even get brave and post my measurements and weight as a way to be more accountable.  My biggest issue is controlling what goes into my mouth and I have a lot a bad habits to break.  I am hoping that by making this public that this group will keep me honest!!

Sharryn

2012-01-07 3:19 PM

Regular
Canton, MI

Regarding wetsuits:

I basically found that unless you've got $400-$500 (or $1200 in the case of the new TYR Freak of nature suit), buying a wetsuit comes down to fit, fit and fit. It should be tight but not so tight you can't breath or move your arms. You'll basically look like a super hero when you have it on and you should be able to take on a gang of crooks so there should be some flex. Keep in mind that the suit will get a little looser in the water.

It's this reason that trying a suit on before you buy it is a very good idea. When I was buying my suit I looked at a couple of companies (zoot, xterra, blue seventy) and I checked reviews to see what people were saying about how each of these suits fit. Some people recommended that if you have larger shoulders, size up, or a smaller chest, size down. There is a lot of helpful info on this site and slowtwitch.com if you just do a search of wetsuits.

At the end of the day I ended up going with xterra wetsuits simply because they allowed me to try the wet suit out at my local pool or in open water (provided that I rinsed it off really well afterwards) once and could exchange for a size up or down if I found that it didn't fit. They also routinely have their suits on sale for about 60% off. 

Here is the video I watched when I was trying to figure out how to get the dang thing on!

CLICK HERE

Edited by lamarvenoy 2012-01-07 3:21 PM
2012-01-07 6:14 PM
in reply to: #3975904

Regular
Canton, MI
ShampyV - 2012-01-06 7:43 PM
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-06 4:26 AM

Almost done with my first essay on triathlon gear 101. Should be up tonight sometime, eastern standard time. Hopefully everyone is ready to get down to training. I wrote the essay just as kind of like a help file for people who are just starting out and trying to figure out cost wise, the bare essentials in gear.

Also, Lets start off the training portion of the group. I hope everyone has been checking in, only a couple of people have been posting on a regular basis.

I know everyone posted how many days/hours they expect to have to devote towards training. How does your week shake down?

I'll start:

I usually train (or atleast work out) 6-7 days a week. Being newly married and not having any kids affords me this luxury. most weeks in the winter. I'll do a combination of  swimming/running on one day and bike the next, rinse repeat, with a long run of about 12-13 miles on the weekends (currently training for a 70.3, musselman in NY), although this has been eaten a couple of time by the holidays.

Eventually I'd like to work strength training and possibly some yoga into my workout routine but am constantly reminded by my wife that this hobby doesn't bring in any income and she likes to actually see her husband.

Lets see whatcha got. Don't be shy about your training, that's why we're all here.

Hi there

Thanks for the info on the gear - A waterproof mp3 player is definitely on my wish list!  (And of course the new bike but there's conditions attached to that one!!)  

Re training, my little boys are young and in bed early (7pm).  SInce we're at the height of Summer it's light till nearly 9pm so I have plenty of time to train......I am just not physically able to do more than about 30-40 minutes due to my lack of fitness!.  Still, I am trying to make it out the door most days for a run or a swim (still have to post yesterday's run workout).  I too am trying to stay in heart rate zone two....to this end I have a question...I live the Dandenong Ranges and while I have a beautiful setting of rainforest/national park trails to run in, it is VERY hilly.  This means I am constantly running for only about 30-60secs before I have to walk for at least that long really slowly to get my heart rate back down.  I am doing this right or should I be power walking up the hills and stay in Z2 that way?  My concern with doing it that way is that I would only ever get to run down hill.....

Next week I am starting a strength program a couple of times a week, and lastly, starting tomorrow I plan on utilising the nutrition plan on this site.  I think I may even get brave and post my measurements and weight as a way to be more accountable.  My biggest issue is controlling what goes into my mouth and I have a lot a bad habits to break.  I am hoping that by making this public that this group will keep me honest!!

Sharryn

Sharryn,

Check THIS THREAD OUT. There's some pretty good stuff there from coaches and BT members alike that might give some ideas for running in your desired zones.

Edited by lamarvenoy 2012-01-07 6:15 PM

2012-01-07 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3975878

Regular
Canton, MI
StarRider - 2012-01-06 7:19 PM

great article,

i would like to know about this wetsuit advice, and if there are any rules about when to use/not to use a wetsuit. I have one, and wow, is it a pain to take on and off.

also, what do you wear under your wetsuit...seems a little odd to get out of the suit in transition and start biking in a bathing suit (i may be missing something there)...

- Ella

I would advise wearing tri shorts and a tri specific top under the wetsuit, or some sort of spandex shorts and sports bra or something of that nature, the pulling a shirt over yourself in transition.

2012-01-07 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3975536

Regular
Canton, MI
gearhart - 2012-01-06 3:53 PM

Second - How hard is it to set up and take down a bike trainer? I have thought about this as an option for winter bike training but am not foolish enough to suggest to my wife that I need a bike trainer permanently set up in the living room. The extra bedroom is my daughter's toy zone and I don't have a basement. So a bike trainer would have to be something I could set up just for workouts and then store away in the garage.

Chris

Bike trainers are super easy to set up and take down. You could easily set it up, ride and fold it up to store in a closet, under a bed or in your garage. They can be a tad bit pricey but I think they're a pretty handy tool for riding year round, or for training sessions when you don't have time to get up to the local bike path or park.

I would check craigslist or here on BT classifieds for a good deal. I have a cycle-ops fluid 2 and it's awesome. I haven't tried any of the other types (magnetic or fan).

2012-01-07 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3976958

User image

Chelsea
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-07 4:19 PM

Regarding wetsuits:

You'll basically look like a super hero when you have it on and you should be able to take on a gang of crooks so there should be some flex. Keep in mind that the suit will get a little looser in the water.

If I don't look like a super hero, can I get my money back?

2012-01-09 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3977326

Regular
Canton, MI
gearhart - 2012-01-07 8:38 PM
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-07 4:19 PM

Regarding wetsuits:

You'll basically look like a super hero when you have it on and you should be able to take on a gang of crooks so there should be some flex. Keep in mind that the suit will get a little looser in the water.

If I don't look like a super hero, can I get my money back?

You'd have to check the companies superhero satifaction guarantee policy

2012-01-09 11:05 AM

Regular
Canton, MI

I was just running through the logs to see what people were doing for the last couple of days. There are some people that appear to have fallen off the face of the earth or just aren't keeping their logs up to date. If you're lurking around the group I encourage you to post and be an active member. Along with making some new friends in the triathlon community, you might find that it helps you stay accountable and on track with your training.

On a side note: I got my bike fit tweaked yesterday at the (not so local) bike store and added a new saddle, an ISM Adamo Time Trial. I'm itching to get outside now!

2012-01-09 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3979787

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-09 12:05 PM

I was just running through the logs to see what people were doing for the last couple of days. There are some people that appear to have fallen off the face of the earth or just aren't keeping their logs up to date. If you're lurking around the group I encourage you to post and be an active member. Along with making some new friends in the triathlon community, you might find that it helps you stay accountable and on track with your training.

On a side note: I got my bike fit tweaked yesterday at the (not so local) bike store and added a new saddle, an ISM Adamo Time Trial. I'm itching to get outside now!

HA... There for a little while I felt like I was hogging the board.  Embarassed 

I'm doing the Run (& walk) thing according to what I have planned for my 5K in March, and throwing in bike trainer time...just because...I want to.  Still debating where I want to purchase pool time from, Closest 2 places to home are ~30mins away (one is opposite direction from, other is on the way but $$$), farthest is ~45mins, about 10min from work. 

OR if I even want to bother and just swim in the lake in the summer.   I'm planning on a Du this year anyway...

I drive WAY too much I need to consolidate.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-09 12:14 PM
2012-01-09 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3979942

Regular
Canton, MI
Twinsmomma.Erin - 2012-01-09 1:11 PM
lamarvenoy - 2012-01-09 12:05 PM

HA... There for a little while I felt like I was hogging the board.  Embarassed 

I'm doing the Run (& walk) thing according to what I have planned for my 5K in March, and throwing in bike trainer time...just because...I want to.  Still debating where I want to purchase pool time from, Closest 2 places to home are ~30mins away (one is opposite direction from, other is on the way but $$$), farthest is ~45mins, about 10min from work. 

OR if I even want to bother and just swim in the lake in the summer.   I'm planning on a Du this year anyway...

I drive WAY too much I need to consolidate.

If you work in Ann Arbor, The running fit on jackson road has endless pools that you can schedule time at but I think it's a tad on the expensive side

2012-01-09 8:06 PM

User image

Chelsea

I had a pretty good weekend. Got out on Sunday with the whole family. On Saturday I rode the bike for the first time in a while. Felt like a lot of work to go a short distance slowly. Today I stopped at the local bike shop and bought smooth tires and looked at indoor trainers. The trainers are pretty cool. I can see one of these in my future. Could be near future if the weather ever turns cold.

The pool I use is open again, but this week it is going to hard to schedule work outs. They only have lap swim a couple of hours a day, and most of those fall during work hours.  I have a late meeting tomorrow night. Curriculum night at school Thursday night, and a conflict with my normal swimming time on Saturday. Might not be able to fit in any swimming.  I should be able to get in all my running and I hope to get chance to try my new tires.

Chris

2012-01-11 6:42 AM

User image

Regular
Brooklyn, Michigan

I'm pretty sure I know what I did to make my knee feel the way it does.  (I've been obsessing thinking about it...LOL)  A while back, right around when this started.  I tripped over my dog (Ava) behind me, to miss my running boy (Lance) in front of me.  I'm a bit klutzy at times. EmbarassedSo, since I can't jump in my lake (well...I could...but I won't...) and swim I'm going to get a membership at the rec center near work and take some swims at lunch.  Can only get in about 30mins, but something is better than nothing right now.

It felt pretty good when I got out of bed this morning, but I can still feel it on the stairs.  I think not running for a while is best, but I can swim, & will try with the bike and see how that feels.  It all works my cardio base and gets my weight down that's what I really need work on at this point anyway.

Edited by Twinsmomma.Erin 2012-01-11 6:44 AM
2012-01-11 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3983345

Regular
Canton, MI
Twinsmomma.Erin - 2012-01-11 7:42 AM

I'm pretty sure I know what I did to make my knee feel the way it does.  (I've been obsessing thinking about it...LOL)  A while back, right around when this started.  I tripped over my dog (Ava) behind me, to miss my running boy (Lance) in front of me.  I'm a bit klutzy at times. EmbarassedSo, since I can't jump in my lake (well...I could...but I won't...) and swim I'm going to get a membership at the rec center near work and take some swims at lunch.  Can only get in about 30mins, but something is better than nothing right now.

It felt pretty good when I got out of bed this morning, but I can still feel it on the stairs.  I think not running for a while is best, but I can swim, & will try with the bike and see how that feels.  It all works my cardio base and gets my weight down that's what I really need work on at this point anyway.

Sometimes, rest is the only thing that will help you heal. Two years ago when I was marathon training I came down with a little case of tendonitis. I went to the orthopedist to rule out a strsss fracture. He just told me to rest. I took a couple of weeks off and boom, I felt 10x better. It's hard but sometimes you need to force yourself to rest. You'll probably be better in the long run.

2012-01-11 8:31 AM

Regular

Good morning, everyone!  How goes the battle?

Went out yesterday and got some of those 1/2 inch, multicolored, interlocking mats to put in the basement so I had an area to stretch, work on the big ball, etc.  Then I went out last night and jogged / walked nearly 3.5 miles.  I have lost a lot of the base I had last year but it seems to be coming back.  Plus running at night in the dark is a little freaky!

What's happening in your world?

2012-01-11 7:14 PM

User image

Chelsea

I signed up for my first Triathlon.  The Hawk Island Tri in Lansing.  June 3rd. I picked it because the swim is short. Only 400 meters. I'm sure I will be ready to swim a half mile by June. But I am still sufficiently concerned about the swim that I am playing it safe.

The training plan that is starting to form in my looks like this. 

Hold my run constant for a few months. During that time I plan to run a couple 5k's for fun. In March start increasing the lengh of my long runs to do a 10k in April. Hold this level more or less constant.

Swimming plan is to keep doing twice a week swims at current volumes and then join an open water group later in the spring.

Biking is my current weak link. I am not really biking at all right now. I have to decide if I wait until spring and do a quick ramp up or get serious about some indoor training this winter.

Chris

2012-01-11 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3985041

Regular
Canton, MI
gearhart - 2012-01-11 8:14 PM

I signed up for my first Triathlon.  The Hawk Island Tri in Lansing.  June 3rd. I picked it because the swim is short. Only 400 meters. I'm sure I will be ready to swim a half mile by June. But I am still sufficiently concerned about the swim that I am playing it safe.

The training plan that is starting to form in my looks like this. 

Hold my run constant for a few months. During that time I plan to run a couple 5k's for fun. In March start increasing the lengh of my long runs to do a 10k in April. Hold this level more or less constant.

Swimming plan is to keep doing twice a week swims at current volumes and then join an open water group later in the spring.

Biking is my current weak link. I am not really biking at all right now. I have to decide if I wait until spring and do a quick ramp up or get serious about some indoor training this winter.

Chris

Awesome, I wanted to do that race last year but it conflicted with plans to go see the in laws (fun, right?). Concerning your training, your plan sounds pretty spot on. Just a few suggestions:

When yo start increasing your runs for your 10k race. Try to only increase your total weekly mileage by 10% +/-. This is how I approach my runs and it keeps me from doing too much too soon.

I would not worry about the bike unless you have a certain time in mind as your goal. You should have no problems completing the bike portion of the race. It is a good idea however when the weather gets nice, to do a couple bike/run bricks, meaning you bike then run immediately after. This will give you a feel for how your body is going to act off of the bike.

Regarding the swim, an open water swim class is a great idea. That way you'll be ready when the S@%$ hits the fan after the gun goes off! Cool jk it's really not that bad

2012-01-13 4:09 PM

Regular
Canton, MI

This week was pretty uneventful. Work sucked. People annoyed me and I felt like I didn't get anything done. Training was just alright. I started off the week a fairly decent swim and some tempo work on the tread mill. 2 mile warm-up, 20 mins at Anaerobic Thresh-hold and a slowed it down for the rest of the run until I hit 6 miles.

Tuesday I got on my bike and after 15 mins felt sick to my stomach. I think I might have eaten something weird the day before or maybe not have eaten enough during the day. Drank a coconut water afterwards and that "seemed" to help.

Wednesday I hit the gym again for another uneventful swim and run. Felt super unmotivated. Garbage miles.

Thursday, LET THERE BE LIGHT. I hit the trainer for 50mins while I watched band of brothers. Feeling better, got some quality work in.

So today I have the entire day off to do as I please. What do I decide to do? I hit the pool at around 10AM. Totally wasn't feeling it today. I think I must have swallowed more water than I moved with my arms swimming. I managed to do 1200m. Ah well, you win some you lose some. I think I might need some swim coaching. Sunday I'm going to do a long swim or drown trying, Possibly 3000+ meters with a 2000m main set.

After I stopped off at the grocery store to get some fish for dinner tonight I grabbed my tights, base layers and yak tracks (best invention ever) and headed out to the park (island lake recreational area in brighton MI to be precise). To my elation, the parking lot was empty. I don't know what I was expecting. It's probably in the mid 20's with a wind chill in the low teens and there's a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Pretty blustery. Not exactly the best conditions to spend a day at the park. I suited up, put my balaclava (ninja mask) and gloves on and I was off!

There's a gun range at the park somewhere off in the distance. Apparently 20 degrees isn't too cold to sit outside and shoot a gun. It sounded like a war zone, but then again who am I to judge? I'm the crazy in black from head to toe running outside in the snow! I veered off the paved path and hit the trails for a change of pace. It was amazing. The trees sheltered most of the wind during the run and it was so peaceful. Definitely one of those moments where you appreciate life. When I finished I had to do a lap around the parking lot to make it an even 10 miles.

My legs are going to be trashed tomorrow from all the hills on those trails. But it was worth it Hopefully my magic compression socks will work some magic. I have an hour on my bike scheduled for tomorrow. On the way out I saw what was making such strange tracks in the snow. A gaggle of wild turkeys, about 10 in all. Pretty cool to see. Hopefully this run will spark something in me for this coming week

Hopefully everyone had a good week. and base training has been going well.

Ella, how are the antibiotics going? Any word on when you'll be back in action? Also just curious, whats wrong with your bike? I'm pretty handy, maybe I can offer some help or advice.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lamarvenoy's (Bryan) do your first Triathlon Mentor Group [CLOSED] DOING WORK Rss Feed  

of 4