BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-04-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1360094

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-04-24 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1360034

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!

Javamom - 2008-04-24 11:37 AM

Thank you for all of the help. I am going OWS tonight for the first time. It's my first time going out so my goal is just to get in and swim a bit. I am going to try to do it even if it's freezing. I will definitely buy a wetsuit eventually but if I am not worried about my time then it sounds like I will be ok at this race without it. Then I would have time to shop around and find a deal on one? If not I am thinking I might rent one for that weekend. Thoughts?

Have a great time at your swim tonight! Where will you be swimming? I'm jealous of you PHX area peeps that have a lot more access to open water than us Tucson peeps. Closest lake for us is 2 hrs away.

Tempe Town Lake (TTL) is only going to get warmer. So I would think if you can bear the water temp, you'll be just fine. If you can, take a thermometer with you to your swim tonight to see what the temp is. Then you can watch TTL's temp and know for sure if it will work.

You definitely want to take the time to shop for a wetsuit. Rentals can be good to try and see what you like, but I know TriSports charges $50 for rentals. But you can apply that to the purchase of a suit. Not sure if PHX area tri shops do the same. I bought a ProMotion online, and with the BT discount, it was $150. So I didn't bother to rent as that was 1/3 of the suit price.

If you haven't already, check out the AZ forum here on BT: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=32#s

Folks on there often post when they are going to do an OW swim practice. They used to have one every Thurs night.

Let us know how tonight's swim goes!

2008-04-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1360113

Master
Wisteria Lane
wgraves7582 - 2008-04-24 2:12 PM

At least your hubby is in it with you. My wife thinks I am nuts. I am, but at least not a bar hopper or anything bad like that. Just want to ride my bike or run all day long! Is that so bad!

Oh my goodness! I am so with you on that! My DH is SOOO supportive but thinks I am crazy! Last week I got up at 5 am three days in a row and of course it woke him up every time and he was a little annoyed. I don't blame him, I would be too. I try to be as considerate as possible but it still wakes him up. LOL Then I got up at 4 for the tri last Sunday. SIGH!
2008-04-24 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1360044

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Javamom - 2008-04-24 11:41 AM

IMAZ before 2011!!!!!!! I am thinking this is the year of the Olympic distance, next year HIM, and then hopefully 2010 IMAZ. Oh a girl can dream..right? LOL Speaking of freaking out, my OLY is less then a month away? I haven't registered yet because I am so nervous...about what I don't know. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! :>D That would be so awesome about the Xterra championship, Elaine!! Awesome goal!!

Sweet! Awesome goal to have. You can do it!

And would you register for your Oly already!!! Don't let it fill up and close out. That would just suck to miss a race you had been training for and looking forward to.

2008-04-24 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1360129

Master
Wisteria Lane
PirateGirl - 2008-04-24 2:16 PM

Javamom - 2008-04-24 11:37 AM

Thank you for all of the help. I am going OWS tonight for the first time. It's my first time going out so my goal is just to get in and swim a bit. I am going to try to do it even if it's freezing. I will definitely buy a wetsuit eventually but if I am not worried about my time then it sounds like I will be ok at this race without it. Then I would have time to shop around and find a deal on one? If not I am thinking I might rent one for that weekend. Thoughts?

Have a great time at your swim tonight! Where will you be swimming? I'm jealous of you PHX area peeps that have a lot more access to open water than us Tucson peeps. Closest lake for us is 2 hrs away.

Tempe Town Lake (TTL) is only going to get warmer. So I would think if you can bear the water temp, you'll be just fine. If you can, take a thermometer with you to your swim tonight to see what the temp is. Then you can watch TTL's temp and know for sure if it will work.

You definitely want to take the time to shop for a wetsuit. Rentals can be good to try and see what you like, but I know TriSports charges $50 for rentals. But you can apply that to the purchase of a suit. Not sure if PHX area tri shops do the same. I bought a ProMotion online, and with the BT discount, it was $150. So I didn't bother to rent as that was 1/3 of the suit price.

If you haven't already, check out the AZ forum here on BT: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=32#s

Folks on there often post when they are going to do an OW swim practice. They used to have one every Thurs night.

Let us know how tonight's swim goes!

Yikes, I didn't know it was that much to rent!! Definitely something to think about!!

Yes, I am going OWS with the peeps from here. I can't wait to meet them. :>D We are going to...Butcher Jones? Ey, I don't even know exactly. LOL Thank goodness I am riding with someone.
2008-04-24 3:22 PM
in reply to: #1360139

Master
Wisteria Lane
PirateGirl - 2008-04-24 2:20 PM

Javamom - 2008-04-24 11:41 AM

IMAZ before 2011!!!!!!! I am thinking this is the year of the Olympic distance, next year HIM, and then hopefully 2010 IMAZ. Oh a girl can dream..right? LOL Speaking of freaking out, my OLY is less then a month away? I haven't registered yet because I am so nervous...about what I don't know. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!! :>D That would be so awesome about the Xterra championship, Elaine!! Awesome goal!!

Sweet! Awesome goal to have. You can do it!

And would you register for your Oly already!!! Don't let it fill up and close out. That would just suck to miss a race you had been training for and looking forward to.

I told myself that if I can get in the water tonight I will register. I think my bike and run are in place. I have the swim distance in place but just need to make sure I don't freak in the OW. So I promise tomorrow at the latest if all goes well tonight. :>D If anyone wants to look at my logs and see if my distances (not speed) are ok for the OLY I would love that.

2008-04-24 3:23 PM
in reply to: #1360044

2008-04-24 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1360113

Elite
Tucson, AZ

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-24 12:12 PM

I get stoked just typing about it. To me, unsupported events are the most demanding things out there. I did a 12 hour adventure race last fall and just feel in love with torturing the body like that. Non stop movement for 12 hours climbing around Eastern Kentucky. I just wish I had worn my h/r monitor to track the calories I burned that day! At least your hubby is in it with you. My wife thinks I am nuts. I am, but at least not a bar hopper or anything bad like that. Just want to ride my bike or run all day long! Is that so bad!

Uh, yeah! I can't imagine the logistics of such a race. Figuring out the packing list alone is an endurance event in and of itself!

Were you on a team for the 12 hr? If so, how did that go? I've had good team races and bad. I learned not to do a team race with people you don't know well and the only commonality is that you belong to the same tri club. What a disaster that was. Never again. Now I only race on teams with friends that I know will try hard and have fun.

So I just told my hubby about the Xterra WC goal. He's cool with it. Mostly because I told him I'd be doing the local mountain bike sprint races next season to work on speed, and he wants to do those too. But he needs a lightweight race MTB (he only has freeride and downhill bikes). So of course he's happy. He gets a new bike out of it. Hey...wait...he just bought a cyclocross bike this weekend! Somehow my racing is causing him to get more bikes!

2008-04-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1360163

2008-04-24 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1359994

Master
PirateGirl - 2008-04-24 12:14 PM

Does anyone have a big, hairy goal in the sky?

Not just yet, check in again in a month or two? 

Doing a triathlon (any tri) has been a back-of-mind, want-to-do thing for almost two decades (gasp!).  After getting unexpectantly laid off from my, albeit cushy, parttime telecommute job, I sat down to start thinking about what *I* want to do besides just be a (Great) mom to my two young kiddos.  Rather than a phenomenal career idea forming from this introspection, my triathlon dream popped out --- here I am

So I'm just following this path for now - using those parttime work hours for training.  Where I go from here (in career or tri's) I really need to revisit.  Later. 

2008-04-24 4:43 PM
in reply to: #1351583

Master

Elaine- I've got a muddy buddy question - what's a nearsighted gal to do?  dig up the old contacts lenses?  or I really don't get muddy until the last obstacle?  And are gloves recommended? 

Still waiting for someone to commit to race with me, have a few nibbles... 

2008-04-24 9:49 PM

Veteran
Ok...my pie in the sky will seem so little to most...but it is huge to me. I want to run a half marathon, preferably within the next 10 months. Now...that may seem little to most... I couldn't run a half a mile one year ago. I have dropped my run/walk mph from 18 to 15 (run around 12.5mph)... which is huge. Still have a long way to go.... the fact that I am so slow always makes me feel like I don't belong. I just keep telling myself that I will continue to improve and that I do have amazing endurance despite the lack of speed.

I seem to not want to workout since my tri... perhaps a little post tri dip. Yet my big tri is in June... so no rest for the weary

Elizabeth
2008-04-25 12:44 AM
in reply to: #1360288

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-04-24 1:18 PM

Does anyone have a big, hairy goal in the sky?

Not just yet, check in again in a month or two? 

Doing a triathlon (any tri) has been a back-of-mind, want-to-do thing for almost two decades (gasp!).  After getting unexpectantly laid off from my, albeit cushy, parttime telecommute job, I sat down to start thinking about what *I* want to do besides just be a (Great) mom to my two young kiddos.  Rather than a phenomenal career idea forming from this introspection, my triathlon dream popped out --- here I am

So I'm just following this path for now - using those parttime work hours for training.  Where I go from here (in career or tri's) I really need to revisit.  Later. 

And here you are, about to experience your dream! Enjoy every minute of it on that day, and realize you did something truly awesome. And most importantly, you did it for YOU!

2008-04-25 12:49 AM
in reply to: #1360328

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-04-24 1:43 PM

Elaine- I've got a muddy buddy question - what's a nearsighted gal to do?  dig up the old contacts lenses?  or I really don't get muddy until the last obstacle?  And are gloves recommended? 

Still waiting for someone to commit to race with me, have a few nibbles... 

I'm right there with ya. I wear an old pair of prescription sunglasses for the whole race. It's not muddy until the end. You still get mud in your eyes, mouth (shut your mouth when crawling through the pit!), ears, etc. The sunglasses kept most of it out of my eyes, and they were easy to hose off afterwards. They have garden hoses at the end to get the major mud off. Just be sure to bring a change of clothes and lots of towels.

I have some pics from the LA Muddy Buddy here, in case that helps to show you what a typical course looks like: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=7139

I only did 3 miles of biking total, so I didn't bother with gloves, and didn't need them for any of the climbing obstacles. You could wear them and ditch them by the bike for the mud pit. The bike gets dumped in a corral, and you can put other stuff there too, like your glasses if you wanted.

2008-04-25 12:59 AM
in reply to: #1360810

Elite
Tucson, AZ

azelizabeth - 2008-04-24 6:49 PM

Ok...my pie in the sky will seem so little to most...but it is huge to me. I want to run a half marathon, preferably within the next 10 months. Now...that may seem little to most... I couldn't run a half a mile one year ago. I have dropped my run/walk mph from 18 to 15 (run around 12.5mph)... which is huge. Still have a long way to go.... the fact that I am so slow always makes me feel like I don't belong. I just keep telling myself that I will continue to improve and that I do have amazing endurance despite the lack of speed.

Great goal! You've already improved by 3 min/mi average. Keep chipping away at it. It's good you've got the endurance. The speed will come with time and with pushing hard when you can. It took me a couple of years of doing this before I could get to a comfortable 10K endurance-wise...forget the speed part.

You do belong! You're out there doing it and that's all that matters. Everyone has to start somewhere. I try to remind myself that some of those speedy people that are finished by the time I get on the bike didn't used to be so speedy. Heck, some may have been just like me years ago. So I figure there's always hope.

2008-04-25 7:34 AM

2008-04-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1359994

Modesto, California

Anyone else want to confess a crazy pie in the sky goal? I can't be the only insane one.

For sure IMAZ 2010 and also Chicago Marathon 2011 (old stompin grounds)!

2008-04-25 9:58 AM

Kansas
I've been reading through all of your posts and I'm beginning to feel like I've entered into a new and different world.  And all those acronyms!  I've figured a lot of them out, but I'm taking a chance here of sounding REALLY stupid, but what the heck is a peep? I am actually laughing to myself because I know the minute one of you tells me, I'm gonna probably groan knowing that I should have been able to figure it out!    As for the big dream....well, I have to say that I am living that dream with this first tri I'm doing. I have done things before that I wasn't sure I'd accomplish (climbing a fourteener, diving to the bottom of the ocean, those kind of things) but I did. This is probably a little more intimidating for me just because I'm older now and have some physical limitations with my MS. But, once I'm done with this, I KNOW I'll have to have another goal out in front of me. Not sure what that will be....it may be just doing another triathlon and improving my performance. I'll have to wait and see.  My husband told me yesterday that he wants to run a marathon next year. Maybe we'll do that together.  Whatever it is, there will be something for me to shoot for. It keeps you young and makes life so much more meaningful.  Now, off to the pool!!!
2008-04-25 10:08 AM

2008-04-25 10:20 AM

Master

azelizabeth - 2008-04-24 7:49 PM I do have amazing endurance despite the lack of speed.

That's what you need for the longer events.  There was a thread somehwhere on BT where a fella commented that he could finish first against his wife at the shorter distances, but she had a 3:30 mary and he was waaaaay behind that.

Not that I'm competitive or anything (hahahaha) but I was pleased to be only a minute behind my husband in the mini tri I/we did - easily 30-40 seconds of his lead was just the pool; he grew up on teams, I floated.

So enjoy YOUR strengths and don't worry about the rest of 'em/us. 

2008-04-25 10:22 AM
in reply to: #1361470

Master

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-25 8:08 AM Peeps is people.

Of course there was also the march challenge and some number of the BT crowd now sports those awful Easter peeps in their avatars.

2008-04-25 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1361452

Master

Big Mama - 2008-04-25 7:58 AM I've been reading through all of your posts and I'm beginning to feel like I've entered into a new and different world. And all those acronyms! 

And here is your cheat sheet on acronyms too:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1014 

2008-04-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1361513

2008-04-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: #1361549

Master

wgraves7582 - 2008-04-25 8:33 AM  Only 5 days left!!!!! I went rogue the other day and did the fox in memory of Mr. Tibbs, but I have had 2 losing avatars in 2 months and just want to have my own back for 1 month before I do another challenge!

I'm doing the April challenge.  So far we're MOP so I should be OK.  Of course I joined April to get my strength training up and that's my weak record for April.  s/b/r are all at/above goals.   

2008-04-25 10:41 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
I posted the long version in my log from last nights swim. The short version is that it took me quite a while to get my face in the water but at the end I did it! AND the best news is that I registered for the OLY!! Oh boy! here we goooooooooo!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15