BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-12-22 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1866245

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: crea0029's group - CLOSED for now
HelenR - 2008-12-21 6:04 PM

Hi Group!  

My strengths:  Biking... and tenacity!!! 

My weaknesses/need advice area:  My swimming. I have alot of endurance, however am slow.  Other weakness is currently discipline with the food- as love to eat- and know that even with loosing 5 lbs this will help my swim/bike and running! (looking forward to nutrition discussions)

What I am really excited about?  This group, my two big races planned for 2009 ( 1/2 IM- Peterbourough and Steelhead), and life - in general. Emerson- like you I'm a 'C ' survivor- renal cell (ie kidney) 11 yrs and counting!!!.  Have some medical issues unrelated to the cancer- but due to surgeries- (ie adhesions) -anyway- all is good!!!

Just a couple questions as I am not very computer savy. a) how do you put an avator on, and b) how do you make a group box with all the members names etc in your trng log??

many thanks guys- looking forward to the calmaraderie!!

-Helen

PS- Pam- my daugher is 25- the one signed up for Louisville   

Helen,

Did you say your daughter is signed up for Louisville Ironman???? Where does she live? I live an 1.5 hour from Louisville.

Amy IN

2008-12-22 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1867043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
amy mutz - 2008-12-22 7:55 AM
HelenR - 2008-12-21 6:04 PM

Hi Group!  

My strengths:  Biking... and tenacity!!! 

My weaknesses/need advice area:  My swimming. I have alot of endurance, however am slow.  Other weakness is currently discipline with the food- as love to eat- and know that even with loosing 5 lbs this will help my swim/bike and running! (looking forward to nutrition discussions)

What I am really excited about?  This group, my two big races planned for 2009 ( 1/2 IM- Peterbourough and Steelhead), and life - in general. Emerson- like you I'm a 'C ' survivor- renal cell (ie kidney) 11 yrs and counting!!!.  Have some medical issues unrelated to the cancer- but due to surgeries- (ie adhesions) -anyway- all is good!!!

Just a couple questions as I am not very computer savy. a) how do you put an avator on, and b) how do you make a group box with all the members names etc in your trng log??

many thanks guys- looking forward to the calmaraderie!!

-Helen

PS- Pam- my daugher is 25- the one signed up for Louisville   

Helen, Did you say your daughter is signed up for Louisville Ironman???? Where does she live? I live an 1.5 hour from Louisville. Amy IN

PS: to Helen, I will be working IM Louisville next August.  Amy and I met there last summer.  Keep us posted... EK

2008-12-22 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1857670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Sorry to read about all the bad weather... it is a little cool here...

After grilling we decided to eat inside...  it may rain tomorrow so the ride may be Wednesday... Anyone is welcome to come visit...   We do get snow in my part of Tucson about once a year...  EK

2008-12-22 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Now, back to all seriousness... we need to inventory strengths...  I will go back and read the blogs and to a resource matrix for us.  If anyone wants to add anything, let me know... Emerson

2008-12-22 10:32 PM
in reply to: #1868615

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
etknowles - 2008-12-22 9:04 PM

Now, back to all seriousness... we need to inventory strengths...  I will go back and read the blogs and to a resource matrix for us.  If anyone wants to add anything, let me know... Emerson

Thanks Emerson, that sounds like a great idea.

I want to address the group.  I have noticed a lack of conversation and am wondering if everyone is very busy or if the holidays are taking a lot out of everyone.  I have also noticed a few people have not checked in since their first post.  This concerns me a lot.  I don't want to sound pushy but what makes a good mentor group is a lot of conversation talking about what is going on in our training and nosing around in everyone's elses business.  Just a thought... what does everyone else think?

2008-12-23 5:29 AM
in reply to: #1868751

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
crea0029 - 2008-12-22 10:32 PM
etknowles - 2008-12-22 9:04 PM

Thanks Emerson, that sounds like a great idea.

I want to address the group.  I have noticed a lack of conversation and am wondering if everyone is very busy or if the holidays are taking a lot out of everyone.  I have also noticed a few people have not checked in since their first post.  This concerns me a lot.  I don't want to sound pushy but what makes a good mentor group is a lot of conversation talking about what is going on in our training and nosing around in everyone's elses business.  Just a thought... what does everyone else think?

Sorry Pam.  You are absolutely right about everything -- a good group needs lots of conversation and also it is a difficult time of year (i.e., very busy!). 

From a training perspective, I call this month "Run December".  At the beginning of the month I noticed I needed to run 94 miles to reach the same mileage as last year.  So I've only done one bike ride and no swimming this month, but that's been intentional.  The good news is that I'm easily going to make the 94 miles, and even hope to make it a 100 mile month!  I only have 12 miles to go for 94, and today I should be running twice for a total of about 7 miles.  Every Tuesday I run with my "coach", but I run in the morning just in case something happens in the evening and I don't catch up with Dan (either work interferes or it is raining).  I know this approach isn't doing much for biking and swimming, but it is definitely helping out my run base!

After the first of the year, I intend to start seriously training in all three sports, plus core work.  Between now and then I'm going to run when I can and also probably eat a bunch.   I'm flying to Cleveland, OH early tomorrow morning for a few days, so if I don't check in it's because I'm being inundated with family activities.

Cheri

2008-12-23 7:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I know for me, I'm just trying to get through the next week before I can refocus on my training. It seems with Thanksgiving late this year, the fact that I was out of town the following weekend for a race, that I'm way behind on my personal stuff (ie: holiday shopping, decorating, cooking, etc.). I was planning all along that December would be a light month for me training wise. Next week, I'm going to sit down with my new calendar and figure out a tentative race schedule and training plan.

I'm concerned that there were a couple of mentees in which asking to join the group was their first post? Maybe they don't understand that we want to be interactive!! Maybe some are traveling for the holidays? Maybe they lost electricity in the ice storms? I think that it's just likely been a tough few days for some with the Christmas holidays. I think this will be a great group and am excited about things to come.

P.S. If we are going to vote on the "boxes", I chose the purplish one with the stars. I like the first one too, but my older eyes have a harder time reading that font!
2008-12-23 9:58 AM

Regular
hi group  i need help!!!! i am totally confused as to how to keep in touch here. do i just hit reply on any message?  i set up my wind trainer today.  Biking is my weakness  befotre when it said bike .if it was snowy outside i would replace it with run.  not going to do that   i am going to bike when it sais bike. signed  up for 1/2 marathon in may and 1/2 iron man end of july. possibly a sprint  end of may.  those are my goals.  want to keep in with the group just not sure if i am doing  this right.   happy solstice all    it is very cold here and very snowy  (alberta)  cath
2008-12-23 10:12 AM

Regular

strengths and weaknesses

strengths:   swimming, sense of humor, athletic body

weaknesses:  biking, emotional eating, procrastination, typing time management. seeing things through to the end, knowledge of computers

what excites  me:  the thought of crossing the finish line, my childrens laughs, a clean house ( i'm not kidding) i struggle with clutter.  a really good cup of coffee!!!!, the saturday cross word (especially if i can finish it) dreaming about finishing canada iron man 2010.

ok how do i open up my traing logs and blogs and also my friend list?  thanks for your help.  cath

2008-12-23 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1865700

Regular
hey Amy IN i'm with you on the 15 20 weight ratio. the moment i slow down on my training up goes the scale. i'm 47 with two children aged 10 and 7 i know that my times would imoprove if my weright to train ratio was lower.  it is so frustrating.  ( as are my typing skills: )  take care  cath
2008-12-23 12:21 PM

Regular
i think i have it set up now so everyone can access my training logs if not let me know and I'll keep working on it. just had oatmeal for breakfast yum. i have a great spinach smoothie recipe if any one would like. i am  not usually hungry in the mornings and a smoothie gets the nutrition in me.  take care  cath

2008-12-23 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pam - I honestly won't start my intense training until Dec. 26th, and then it's game on... With trying to get jobs out, Holidays in, and the ice we have on the roads right now, it isn't going to happen until the day after Christmas. I will post my workout schedule on my blog.

I think most people are just crazy with the holidays and end of year things going on, things will be better after Christmas, I will help you out with the chatter and personal motivation. Don't stress over it and have a wonderful Christmas.

My weight gain is always right after race season, and you would think I could stop it, but here we go again, and it will all workout and off for my first tri in Feb, it's a mini sprint inside at Bob's Gym.

Helen - like Emerson said we both were at the IMKY Louisville, I don't think the swim or bike is an issue, but for me the run is if the heat is 97 degrees like this year.

Love from Indiana
Amy

2008-12-23 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1869294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
cathcan - 2008-12-23 9:12 AM

strengths and weaknesses

strengths:   swimming, sense of humor, athletic body

weaknesses:  biking, emotional eating, procrastination, typing time management. seeing things through to the end, knowledge of computers

what excites  me:  the thought of crossing the finish line, my childrens laughs, a clean house ( i'm not kidding) i struggle with clutter.  a really good cup of coffee!!!!, the saturday cross word (especially if i can finish it) dreaming about finishing canada iron man 2010.

ok how do i open up my traing logs and blogs and also my friend list?  thanks for your help.  cath

Anyone who loves good coffee is a friend of mine...  as I sit here drinking my espresso...  EK

2008-12-23 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Okay here is my idea... I am super busy too between work and getting everything set for Christmas.  How about we take a break until the 26th?  You can check in if you want, I know I will be doing so but then come the 26th, I will have a topic to start discussion about and get the group going.  What is everyone's thoughts?
2008-12-23 1:54 PM

Regular
great idea i willbe back home on the 27th see you then.  cath
2008-12-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1869753

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

crea0029 - 2008-12-23 1:44 PM Okay here is my idea... I am super busy too between work and getting everything set for Christmas.  How about we take a break until the 26th?  You can check in if you want, I know I will be doing so but then come the 26th, I will have a topic to start discussion about and get the group going.  What is everyone's thoughts?

Perfect!  I won't be home until the 29th, but I'm sure I can sneak away from the in-laws for a discussion or two.

2008-12-23 3:37 PM

Veteran

sounds great gang- I'm running around trying to make jello, pick up a turkey, wrap presents- and by the way- got stuck in the snow at a girlfriends home on way back from the pool!!  Hmmmm.... Ask Santa for snow shovel for car.....

-Helen

2008-12-23 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Okay so we will just go with that.  See everyone back after Christmas or as soon as you can get back!  Have a great holiday and then we will hit it hard then!
2008-12-23 10:30 PM
in reply to: #1870609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Arizona Sunset....

2008-12-23 10:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think that will be a great start for everyone Pam. I'm very excited and in much need of the boost right after Christmas, since I now have 15 lbs to drop and get my running legs back.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas with family and friends!

Thanks for your motivational attitude, we will follow your lead the 26th.

Love from Indiana
Amy
2008-12-23 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1870668

User image

Extreme Veteran
etknowles - 2008-12-23 10:30 PM

Arizona Sunset....

Wow, that is truly beautiful Emerson.

Amy

2008-12-24 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Wow, that is a beautiful picture Emerson. My daughter was supposed to get in last night but got snowed in at O'Hare. She's on standby for a flight out at 9:30 this morning, with two other flights booked as standby, and a confirmed seat on Christmas day. I hope she can get out today and not have to spend another night in the airport. She's stuck in the snow and I ran in a swampy 71 degrees this morning with 150% humidity. Is it really Christmas Eve? Hoping everyone has a great holiday with family and friends!!
2008-12-25 6:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SENDING CHRISTMAS CHEER Pictures, Images and Photos

Enjoy the day and Merry Christmas from Indiana!!!

Tomorrow we start....wooohooo
2008-12-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1871841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Merry Christmas from Tucson...

Today is our day to take stock in all the things that life has given us... to share the joy of being blessed with so many to love and so many who love us...  So take a moment and smile, every gift you gave and every gift you received is a reminder of all those around us.  When we hit the road of life again tomorrow, let us NOT forget all those we love.  It is the inner strength for all of us that we forget so easily in our fast paced world.

Best wishes to all of you for a safe and happy day with your families,

Emerson

2008-12-25 6:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok group....I'm ready for intense training, the no discipline with training and eating the last two months is out the window, it is time to focus on my goals for 2009 which are in plain sight for you and for me on my blog....so who is with me??????

Can you feel the mud in your toes, the tight cap squeezing your brains out, the burning of your lungs and the water up your nose???? Isn't it great.

SWIM
Swim Lap 2 - Lake Placid 07 Pictures, Images and Photos

Can you feel the burning in your legs, bugs in your mouth, and wind in your face???

BIKE
Tour of KC Pictures, Images and Photos

Can you feel the pounding of the pavement, swing of your arms, and the sweat run down your face???

RUN
Be free, do the PRE...fontane...
prefontane Pictures, Images and Photos

Edited by amy mutz 2008-12-25 6:57 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » crea0029/etknowles's group - CLOSED for now Rss Feed  

of 18