BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2008-12-26 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1872271

User image

Subject: RE: Come fly with me!

Hi Scott,

Went to a bike shop today and started chatting to a young guy. Found out that there are tri's here in Taiwan, but that they only start at Olympic level and go to Ultra. There are 3 or 4 Olympics a year. This is a bit much for me perhaps, but I would like to tri .

What do you think, any ideas about which training to follow?

Do you think that If I , over the next week, go and swim 1500m and then a few days later cycle 40km and again run/walk 10km to have these as benchmarks for the future, would be a good idea?

The method would be just to finish, not on speed, to see how long it would actually take for me to finish them at my current level. Then I would compare stats in the future. Or is this awaste of time?

Kind regards,

Justin

2008-12-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1866242

User image

i need some advice on bikes.

I ahve a mountaian bike, do I need to buy another bike? If so, do any of you guys have suggestions and /or advice on buying a bike?

Thanks,

Justin

2008-12-26 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1872558

User image

Veteran
Belleville

Hi Justin,

My input as a beginner for what it's worth. What ever you are doing you will have to track it and monitor, or you will not no if you have improved or hold yourself accountable. When it is written you can truly look at it. Am I improving or just going through the motions doing the same thing week after week.

As far as beginner I go with time and heart rate. Rather than a specific distance. This allows me to increase intensity as my body begins developing and handling the workouts. I am not sure if the true distance is as important as a specific system so you can work on improving. I like time personally because when I am on a treadmill, stationary bike, or in the pool. I know the length I am working out is getting me a good cardio workout, and if at the end I ran 4.42 miles instead of 4.28 I just increased the intensity marginally. I have gone this way and went from 4 to 5 mies in a 65 minute period walking/joggins and from around 5 miles to 8 miles in a 30 minute period on the bike.

Granted I started intentionally slow on everything to give my body a break in perios so the gains are a little inflated I would say, but may weight is also down 12 lbs in 3 weeks, so I am making significant gains across the board.

I also consider strength training very important and am spending a fair amount of time each week on that also.

Sum it up; find what works and drives you and stick with it.

2008-12-26 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1872558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Justin,
My first reaction is you bet you can do it. Olympic is a bit longer but honestly it just means you will have to prep a little more. How far can you swim bike and run right now? Are you doing any brick workouts? How do you want to finish?

I do recommend working out 6 days a week with a 7th day for rest and recovery (which is very important as well). To start out if you don't have a plan, swim on monday, bike on tuesday and run on wednesday, then repeat. Make saturday your longer set with maybe longer distance and also brick workouts. A lot of the distance is psychological. If you have to swim 1500 then swim 2000 in practice. If the bike is 24miles then bike 30 if the run is 6 miles then run 10. Get your mind so that on race day the distance is not intimidating to you. I am also glad to hear you say that you want to finish your first one. Pacing and realizing what your capacity is is very important. No matter how you train, race day is different. Pace is very important.

When is the tri you are aiming for? Knowing that will help me better formulate a plan for you.

I say go for it.
2008-12-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1872565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Justin,
As far as the mountain bike. I think you should try a tri first before spending money on a bike. Yep they are heavier etc and maybe you can borrow some road wheels and tires but I say do at least one first.

After you complete your first you will have a really good idea of what you expect out of triathlons. Depending what you discover at this time you may want to save up and buy a nice tri specific bike or you may want to save up and just buy a road bike or just keep the freebie and figure that's good enough. I recommend one race first. I hope that helps.
2008-12-26 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1872830

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Ray I appreciate your input. You are right on by saying that you have to track your workouts. It is very important to know where you started and where you are going.

One thing I would add is goal setting. I would set some short term and longer term very specific goals so you know what you are working towards and know what to expect from your workouts.

Also Ray...12# in 3 weeks. NICE WORK keep it up. You should feel really proud of yourself. Way to go!

2008-12-26 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Veteran
Belleville
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- sorry full.
Thanks, workin real hard, so glad to see it is going the right direction.
2008-12-27 4:16 AM
in reply to: #1873005

User image

Subject: RESPONSE TO Scott and Ray

How far can you swim bike and run right now?

S: 800- 1000m, but this includes freestyle and breaststroke in a 25m pool

B: 20-25km on flat road

R: 3km with run/walk more walk than run, very weak here. My heart rate goes up too high. 

Are you doing any brick workouts?

Sorry, I don't know what these are

How do you want to finish?

I just want to be able to finish within the allowed time, in my age group. I am 49 in April 2009.

What are the times allotted for the different disciplines and what are the  cut-off times?

The tri that I am aiming for is in late April 2009

I can train 6 days a week Mon to Sat. 

Ray:

Thanks for the help and advice, As to recording, I will put that into my blog on BT. Not sure how to let others see it though. When running my heart rate goes up very high very quickly so I end up walking to bring it down. Swimming and biking are not so high. You have made some great progress, I need to lose some fat too. Keep going!

Thanks,

Justin

2008-12-27 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville
That is fine and should be expected. You have been checked by a doctor right? I was/am the same way even after 3 to 4 weeks of solid training. I can muster only a moderate jog for about 3 to 5 minutes then I am winded and have to reduce it to a walk to bring my Heart Rate down, so that sounds normal. There are some standard running/walking programs some on the site, but the basic idea is to slowly increase the amount of time you vs walk. When I started, I was running 1 minute for every 30 malking. I am down to 1 min for every 4 walking now.
2008-12-27 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville, MI
Well guys, I'm having a great day!!!  I was able to get my 20 mile run in.  This is the furthest I have ever run!  I'm stoked!  Wasn't pretty the last 5 mile, I was walking alot and my legs were in some pain.  This was my last long run before the marathon in January.  Thank god!  Hope veryone else is having a great day.
2008-12-27 5:38 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Hey Brian,

Nice job keep up the great work, and good luck with the marathon. I cannot imagine running that far. I am only at 4 miles and that feels long. A lot of respect for you.

Again keep up the great work.

Jeff

2008-12-27 10:11 PM
in reply to: #1873716

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Good for you. Nice run. Are you following a specific program of training or going on experience? Can't wait to hear how it goes.
2008-12-27 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello team,
We have started gently talking about gear and as you get into this you will find it is easy to spend a lot on gear. I thought we could discuss some of the bits and pieces and hopefully save you some money and trouble along the way. Let me throw the ball back in your court first though and ask where do you want to start? Is there anything your particularly curious about? Let me know and we'll go from there. Also be prepared for the next question of the week tomorrow night.
Scott
2008-12-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1873229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: RESPONSE TO Scott and Ray
Hi Justin,
First if the tri is in late April you can definately prepare for it especially if you are training 6 days a week.

A brick workout is a combination of disciplines. FOr example (and probably the most common one) is to go for a bike ride, hop off and go for a run right after. This simulates a tri situation and you will be amazed at how awkward your legs feel for the first part of the run. This does get better but that is the importance of practice. I would recommend 2 bricks a week until March then one a week.

I wouldn't worry about cut off times. Every race is different but you'll be fine.

You have talked a couple of times about your heart rate getting too high. What do you mean? Is there something clinical here or do you mean you are just flat working too hard?

As far as your distances currently I would do some interval workouts. This will help tremendously with your heart conditioning as well. You will be amazed at how quickly your heart will get used to being stressed.if you need some interval workouts I will be happy to get you some.

Let me know how I can help. You'll do great.
2008-12-28 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville

I have been reading a bit, but I guess given my weight and stamina issues. Some training suggestions for the pool would be very helpful. My current strategy is to log a lot of time to keep my calorie burn high. And losing the weight I have so far I have noticed that activites are slowly getting easier.

Anywasy, In the pool I will do a 10 lap warmup usually breaststroke as I am comfortable with this. Then I will do 2X25's free with rests no matter what spped I go this gets my heart pumping strong. I do this in about 1 minute then I need a minimum of 30's to recover to 1 minute till I do the next. I do as many of these as I can muster currently about 6 to 10 laps. Then I finish with a breast stroke to get to at least 40 laps (1000 yrds). I am doing this 3 times a week. I am getting very comfortable in the water. I was a very good YMCA swimmer as a child and went through all there programs. Biggest issue is building stamina, so whatever suggestions you can make are welcome.

2008-12-28 8:02 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Hi Ray,

I am new at swimming, six weeks ago I could not swim 25 yds. Yesterday I did 400 yds in 10min.

not very fast but I did it.

I went to triswimcoach.com and signed up for the free newsletter and you get four free drill workouts emailed to you. The drill workouts are long, so I did not move on to the next workout until I could complete it. It took me two weeks to finish all four workouts. Since I am a beginner this is the only advice I could give you.

Jeff

2008-12-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1874484

User image

Subject: RE: RESPONSE TO Scott

s there something clinical here or do you mean you are just flat working too hard?

I think it is too hard, not clinical. I used my HRM. I wouold run for less than a KM and have to start walking to bring it into the 60% to 80% range. So I end up runnning about 500m and walking about 500m. Perhaps it its a lack of fitness and conditioning and my being overweight.

brick workout/ interval workouts

Yes, please help me here

Thanks

Justin

2008-12-28 8:19 PM
in reply to: #1874563

User image

Subject: RE:
Ray doin 1000m three times a week! Amazing with a little envy. Which exercise helps you burn calories more efficiently, S, B or R? I need to lose some weight too.
2008-12-28 8:43 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Justin and Ray,

One advice to give you on wt. loss is try running and biking on an empty stomach. Either first thing in am or at least 3 hrs after a meal. The key to this is to keep your heart rate in the lower end so that you stay aerobic and burn fat. If you do intervals you should eat carbs prior because intervals are more anerobic and uses carbs not fat for energy. I used the empty stomach low heart rate long duration workouts to prepare for bodybuilding shows, going from 15-20% body fat to 3-5% body fat in 16 weeks. I use this practice now because I want to lose 10-15 lbs.(although the holidays are putting a halt to the weight loss).  Another piece of advice is to then comsume more of your daily carbs post workout. The carbs will go towards glycogen restoration than fat deposit and eat less carbs at night and/or do not eat carbs after 7-8 o'clock. I realize that we are endurance athletes now so I am not suggesting to aliminate carbs just change when you eat them.

Jeff

2008-12-28 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1874979

User image

Subject: RE: THANKS JEFF

Thanks Jeff, I will try this and see how it goes. Appreciate the feedback.

Justin

2008-12-29 12:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I have been doing some thinking on workouts and I think I stepped ahead too quickly. One thing that is really important is to have a good solid base before you step up your training. My coach has just gotten me started on intervals and I have seen results quickly. I enjoy intervals a lot and they make sense to me. However a good base of training is essential and I think I would have you work towards this before we take on speed work and all that that enatils. I started tri training a little over a year ago and I took about 13 minutes to do a mile and that was all I could do. Interval training wasn't what got me through and helped make me solid in triathlons; it was consistency. Being out 6 days a week doing something is so important to keeping your training going. Right now logging the miles is going to be what gets you in shape and helps weight coming off and lean muscle coming on. I hope that makes sense. Don't forget though too that you need rest. Time for your body to rebuild is just as important as time to workout and break down.

Also if you want a really good resource I recommend "the Triathletes Training Bible" by Joe Friel. He is an excellent coach and this book is a great resource.

And now for the question of the week: What excites you most and what scares you most about your first race?

2008-12-29 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1875979

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC

Hi Scott...

What excites me the most about my first race is the feeling of accomplishment when you reach the finish line.  All of the hard work pays off...it makes it all worth it!  My first 1/2 marathon was in November and reaching that finish line was a great feeling.

What scares me the most is without a doubt swimming.  I am not really concerned about my time or anything like that...I am literally scared of giving out and drowning!

2008-12-29 5:22 PM
in reply to: #1874916

User image

Veteran
Belleville
spinepa - 2008-12-28 9:02 PM

Hi Ray,

I am new at swimming, six weeks ago I could not swim 25 yds. Yesterday I did 400 yds in 10min.

not very fast but I did it.

I went to triswimcoach.com and signed up for the free newsletter and you get four free drill workouts emailed to you. The drill workouts are long, so I did not move on to the next workout until I could complete it. It took me two weeks to finish all four workouts. Since I am a beginner this is the only advice I could give you.

Jeff

Thanks, I have been piddling around there too. I think the biggest issue is most people are not my size that decide to train for a tri. I am trying to keep my workouts fairly low impact, as I don't see a point in tearing up my knees as I can't run for long periods of time to begin with anyways at the moment. So I am fast walking with a short runs/jogs thrown in.

My stamina is definitely increasing which is the big thing I suppose we are only talking about 3 weeks of time. I think I need to do what I am doing like you for at least 6 weeks or so to see where I am at. I am logging all sorts of time and I should be netting -1000 caloric intake a day, although I think machines always overexaggerate caloric burn to make you feel good, but no reason I shouldn't keep my weight loss at a couple pounds a week.

2008-12-29 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1875979

User image

Veteran
Belleville

holt1997 - 2008-12-29 1:23 PM I have been doing some thinking on workouts and I think I stepped ahead too quickly. One thing that is really important is to have a good solid base before you step up your training. My coach has just gotten me started on intervals and I have seen results quickly. I enjoy intervals a lot and they make sense to me. However a good base of training is essential and I think I would have you work towards this before we take on speed work and all that that enatils. I started tri training a little over a year ago and I took about 13 minutes to do a mile and that was all I could do. Interval training wasn't what got me through and helped make me solid in triathlons; it was consistency. Being out 6 days a week doing something is so important to keeping your training going. Right now logging the miles is going to be what gets you in shape and helps weight coming off and lean muscle coming on. I hope that makes sense. Don't forget though too that you need rest. Time for your body to rebuild is just as important as time to workout and break down. Also if you want a really good resource I recommend "the Triathletes Training Bible" by Joe Friel. He is an excellent coach and this book is a great resource. And now for the question of the week: What excites you most and what scares you most about your first race?

lol, I think I ranted in my previous post the exact same thing you just said above. Excites me the most is that this is a giant change for me from what I have done the paast 5 years my most aerobic activity consisted of tilting pints. I truly feel better, am excited to get up in the morning even if I am groggy as I am not a morning person. My biggest fear I guess would be not meeting my goals my sprint tri is six months off I really want to be below 250lbs by then and able to freestyle the whole swim and run the whole 5 K. Which seems very far off.

2008-12-29 7:25 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

what excites me is the thought of completing three disciplines, that I do not excel at, in the same day.

what scares me is not finishing, I do not care where I place I just want to finish.

Jeff

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19