of 4

2009-01-12 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1902956

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Mtskibum's Group - FULL
mtskibum - 2009-01-12 3:46 PM

Hey everyone, Week 1 is in the books. How'd we do? Where are we at? What was the good the bad and the ugly last week?

Good:
I did have a few good workouts. I was also very productive around the house.

Bad:
The productivity came at a price. I didn't get my long run in on Saturday, becasue I was messing with house stuff. I now know that I will have to get up, get my workout done...then do whatever else needs done.

Ugly:
Food. I did not eat as well as I need to be. It's really not THAT ugly, but it may be the biggest thing I need to work on. Most of that comes from working 10hr days along with my wife working all the time, and you guessed it, we just go out to eat instead of eating something smaller and more healthy at home. I better make a shopping list for this weekend. I think planned meals will help a lot with this issue.

Figuring out my balance:
I'm going to try to get in some smaller workouts along with my "scheduled" runs. I think I can get some short bike trainer rides, simple core work and a little elliptical for leg strength done in the mornings. Swimming and Long runs will have to be on the weekends, since they just take so much time.

Edited by fifthcircle 2009-01-12 4:39 PM

2009-01-12 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1864160

User image

Expert

Greetings to the group!

The Good: I got up and swam which is a good start. I'm planning on going this week on Tue and Thu. I also started a new job, which is turning out great. Now I have a better idea how I can start planning workouts.

The Bad: I didn't run or bike. I REALLY need to get on it.

I'm posting more regularly which I believe will lead to me actually getting in more workouts, even if it is because of guilt. I'm feeling good about the job and things in general, so once I get a couple of days under my belt I think I'll be good. Of course I've been sick for over a week so I'm not being to hard on myself.

Happy training!

2009-01-14 12:01 PM

User image

Expert

Almost at the bottom of Page 2, where's the group love?

I was temporarily out of commission yesterday with a migraine but I plan to get back on track tonight with a run, albeit a short one. Baby steps.

What's everyone else up to?

2009-01-15 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1907169

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
elheffe99 - 2009-01-14 12:01 PM

Almost at the bottom of Page 2, where's the group love?

I was temporarily out of commission yesterday with a migraine but I plan to get back on track tonight with a run, albeit a short one. Baby steps.

What's everyone else up to?

Work this week was kinda crappy. You see, I am a Network Maintenance Tech for a communications company here in Omaha, NE (starts with a 'C' and rhymes with ox). That means that my office is a big truck with a "cherry picker" on it. I troubleshoot and fix problems with the main line cable system. In other words, I am outside all day (4 x 10hr days). In the spring, some of the summer and most of the fall, it can be really nice! I love the first few 70deg days in the spring. Birds chirping, grass getting green, trees starting to bud and a little sweat rolling off the brow as the warm sun beams down on me. Not this week!!! This week, it is cold. Yesterday it was basically 0*F with 15-40mph winds....all day! Not fun!!!

Other than that, things are ok. It's tough to force myself to workout on my work days due to the crap weather. My days off are good though, and I am just about to head off to the gym for a treadmill run and a strength workout after. Concentrating on the run, and I'll throw in some upper body and core stuff after. I may have to take a nice long soak in the hot tub to warm me up afer the long week
2009-01-15 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Thought for the day:

I was stuck in a rut of "having" to workout or train. Yesterday, I took the day off from work to get some perspective on life. I took my Mountain bike out for a spin. My tri bike is in the shop and we had 6" of snow on monday, so I had no idea how snowy the path would be. I didn't wear my Heart Rate Monitor. I just went for a bike ride. I didn't "train". I haven't done that in quite a while. It was very enjoyable and I actually had fun. Then I was in such a good mood, I decided to go for a run. The whole time I was running I just focused on having fun and relaxing. What an amazing difference! I ran basically the same times I've been running, but I felt good afterward.

Bottom line, Make it fun! When you get locked into a training routine and you aren't enjoying it, take the time to do something different and have some fun! Life's too short to not be able to enjoy it.

2009-01-16 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1907169

User image

New user

Newmarket
Hey everyone,

I was pretty sick this week, so I feel bad saying that I have nothing to report. I did get a swim in on Monday which was great but I still didnt follow it up with anything for the rest of the week. Next week will be a completely different story. Im feeling a bit better today so I will try to get on my bike and maybe do some weights and core training at home. Another bad is that I havent really started running yet so if I will be starting that next week. If need be, I'll run in the morning at the gym, and then swim after work. I didnt really have an appetite this week, but tried to eat well when I could. The week before I was eating pretty well except for the occasion sugar-based snack at work.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and Michael good luck with your race!!!

2009-01-16 7:01 PM

User image

New user

Maine
hey everyone my first week went pretty good other then my soar shoulder i got in a few biking and running and swimmig miles in which was pretty good. I went for a swim today and then I worked out and I might go for a bike. I also ran a mile today and had hockey practice. but I figure if I work out a ridiculous amount now it wont be so hard this spring. I got my package from triathletesports.com and its awsome I got a new tyr backpack and a swim workout binder/book and a "on the road spinnervals" movie which im so excited about Im gonna go right now to work out I'll talk to every one tommorrow but I feel we all should post something atleast once every other day that way we all keep in touch.
-pat
2009-01-17 9:19 PM

New user

I would have to say that things are going well for me. My running is progressing - have just done the second day of week 4 of Couch to 5K, which seems to be the first week of running more than walking. Still enjoying it! I'm a day delayed on the running as my schedule had some issues.

I started swimming this week. Had meant to start last week, but there was a lot of snow, my road wasn't plowed, and I wasn't going anywhere I didn't absolutely need to. So this week I went to the aquatic center, nervously, and figured out where to go to practice the total immersion drills. I really enjoyed it, and looking forward to lesson 2! The time just went by so quickly.

Bicycling - started again on my stationary bike. Too much snow outside for biking outside, and this will help with muscles and endurance.

Weight loss - working out more is helping me get back into weight loss, after the holiday season in which I put on about 5 pounds. Important thing is to get back on track, and I feel that I am.

Next step - looks like registration is starting soon for local triathalon - must put money down on this!

2009-01-18 8:44 AM

User image

New user

Maine
Hey everyone again I got in a hour and a half bike ride yesterday just on a trainer but I got to use my new video which was nice then I had a hockey game that night so I got in a pretty good amount of exercize my shoulder is still soar.

This upcoming weeks goal for me is to lose 2-5 pounds unfortunately I've been at the same weight for months now 200-197 so I want to finally get down to the lower 190's or 185 which is my goal weight.

Heres a question what does everyone listen to when there working out personally I like a mix of country rock and 80-90's pop music I'm a little different though

hope everyone is doing well -Pat
2009-01-19 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I think I need some help.

I need to get serious about the weight loss portion of this whole deal. I like doing the workouts. I look forward to some triathlons and running races in a few months, but I really need to drop a few pounds!

So here is the deal. I weight about 235lbs, and am 6ft tall. Pretty average for a 30yr old American male....not so good I know that I won't be able to do any "diets" that make you eat only a specific set of foods. I am not opposed to eating healthy though. I think my main problem is eating too much, and not healthy enough.

Any ideas on what to do to start correcting my bad eating habbits? I was thinking a food/calorie journal to start. I will need to start cooking at home more too, since my wife and I go out to eat WAY too much!!
2009-01-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1916106

New user

Hi Fifthcircle:

I lost about 80 pounds last year, so thought that maybe I could help with a few ideas about the weight loss question!

I put my weight loss down to three factors:

#1 eating better

#2 moving more

#3 keeping on doing items #1 and #2 - and getting back to doing them when I had difficulties

For #1, I found Calorie King very useful (a food tracker). I tracked everything for almost a year, and it was great. Just having the mindfulness kept me on track. Other tools may work for you as well, there's certainly a lot of tools out there. Books were also very helpful - Volumetrics, Eat This Not That (think that might be very good for you) - lots of books have helpful information.

For #2, I don't think you'll have much of a problem, given which group this is in. Something fun is good!

For #3, that's where I found a group situation really helped me keep on track. For me, this was SparkPeople, and specifically a SparkPeople team that was holding a challenge with weekly weigh ins. There was personal support, and there was the knowledge that one had to log in week after week, and helped would be offered if requested. Kept me going.

Best wishes!

Sarah

2009-01-19 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Well, I'm in with you guys on the weight loss too! I have really let my diet slip, and since I'm almost 40, my metabolism is slow. I just got bloodwork back from the doc, and my cholesterol is high, so it's time to get serious. A couple things that have helped me in the past.

1. Write down what you eat for a week. I was shocked. I thought I was eating good, and when I wrote it all down I was suprised. Also, it helped me find what i needed to change. Through research I've done, I found out I need about 120 grams of protein per day when I'm training. I was only getting about 50 with my old eating habits. Now I supplement with a protein shake. Protein is very key in building muscle and burning fat. If you don't get enough of it, your body doesn't process things as well.

2. Use the tools on this website. You can track your workouts, your nutrition and then after a week you can look back and see how you did. I'm trying to stay within a certain calorie range. Portion size has been my biggest downfall. I usually eat 2 servings. Watching that really helps me.

Sarah has some great ideas. Does anyone else have a plan or program that has worked for them?

2009-01-19 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I was just looking at the nutrition section for my logs. CONFUSING!

That is way too hard to use. I just want to record what I ate and approximate calories. This damn thing has all sorts of meals and custom this/that.... I'll probably just print off a simple food log and start using it. (unless their is an easier way to deal with that in the nutrition logs on here??)
2009-01-20 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver

The nutrition log for me was a little confusing at first. But once you put the foods you eat the most in there, it will save them and you can just click on them each day. I usually have a yogurt everyday at about 10:30. So that is saved in there.

But, to get started, I think you are right, the easiest way is just to write it down and calculate it. At least that way you can see how many calories a day you are eating.

Keep it simple. It will work.

Speaking of that, is everyone comfortable with logging their workouts? I see posts in here saying that you are working out, but your logs are empty. Let me know if you need help posting.

2009-01-20 8:20 PM

User image

New user

Maine
hey everyone its been a few since I've been on but everything is going well I was reading the nutrition fact you guys were giving and they seemed to be very well warrented. It makes since to figure out what you actually are eating and then make adustments from there. I think another thing anyone could do is eat more vegtables and fruit because they give you much needed viatimins and minerals but also they are lower in calories then the chips and other junk food counter parts. Also replace things you commonly eat with healthier options like I love pizza and I found a healthy recipe for one.

1 Wheat tortilla
pizza sauce till topping the pizza(could also use bar-bQ or hot sauce)
mozzarella cheese to liking
spinkle of oregano
toppings of choice I like onions green peppers and mushrooms

Heat oven to 400 and then place tortilla in oven for 3-5 minutes then flip it and put it back in for another 3-5 minutes then take it out and top it with ingredients put it back in for 4-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and enjoy
hopefully everyone achieves his or her goal hopefully someone gives this recipe a try its wicked tasty. Hows everyones training going I got weight training in today and I finally found someone to train with helps pass the time and it pushes me harder. Who do you guys train with if anyone, and how does your family feel about you doing a triathlon.
2009-01-21 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1917047

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

fifthcircle - 2009-01-19 6:12 PM I was just looking at the nutrition section for my logs. CONFUSING! That is way too hard to use. I just want to record what I ate and approximate calories. This damn thing has all sorts of meals and custom this/that.... I'll probably just print off a simple food log and start using it. (unless their is an easier way to deal with that in the nutrition logs on here??)

If I may...

Simple is sustainable.  Just keep a simple log of the foods you eat for the week.  Don't worry too much about exact amounts and calories.  After a week or two, look over the log and make some simple assessments of where you're getting too many calories.  Snacking?  Seconds?  Desserts?  Alcohol?  Eating out? 

Now that you've identified where the extra calories are showing up on a weekly basis, develop a plan to manage the worst areas.  Make small adjustments (so 3 Oreos instead of 5) and sustain those changes for several weeks before making more changes. 

If you are keeping accurate logs and still cannot identify where the extra calories are coming from, look at portion size.  If you eat dry cereal, measure out a serving and put it in your bowl (and be surprised at how much extra space there is in the bowl).  Now keep measuring until you get what you normally put in the bowl for your "serving."  Again, make small, sustainable changes to your habits, so if you're normal "serving" is really 3 servings, cut back to 2.5 or 2 servings (buy some smaller bowls if you need) instead of all the way to one puny serving.  (Just eliminating that one phantom serving each day can be 150-200 calories or 2 pounds per month.

2009-01-26 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Well, it's monday and we are a couple weeks into this journey together. Time for some accountability! I'm not seeing much in anyones logs. I'm not sure if folks don't know how to post in their logs, or if we have some folks that have dropped out. Let's get together and get back on track. The best part about this site, is it can be very encouraging for you when you need an extra boost! Let's all commit to sending an inspire to each other as much as we can for the next week. Make sure you post whatever you are doing so that you can track it. Even if it is something you don't think is very significant. Post it so you can track it and so we can encourage you.

If anyone has any questions, please post them also so we can all help find the answers.

I'm going to get back to my normal plan this week. My cold is pretty much gone and I'm ready to get back to it.

How's the first couple weeks been? What adjustments do you need to make to hit the goals for this month? What's your goal for February?

I'm seeing some good stuff. Keep up the good work for those of you that are posting and moving forward! I'm hoping everyone will post something in their logs this week.

2009-01-26 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1929069

User image

Mentor!  Help!

Ok...My first Sprint is on April 18.  My weakest area is the run.  I can only do (barely) 2 12-minute miles without stopping. 

Since August, I have done the "Couch to Sprint" and the "Original Sprint" BT programs.  Actually, this is the last week of my "Original Sprint."  So, what program do I need to do now to insure that I succeed (finish without too much shame) in my race?

Thanks!

VA 

2009-01-26 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

Virginia,

Don't panic, if you've complete the Original sprint plan, you have a good beginning and a good base started. You can do this! If running is your limiter, we just have to focus on that for a while. I would try to run at least 3 days a week. Start where you are at right now with time. Bump it up no more than 10% per week for 3 weeks, then back it off 25% on week 4. Remember, it's not just being able to run the distance, it's being able to run on tired legs. So, before your race, I would recommend doing a brick or two just so you know what it feels like and you don't freak out. First time I did a bike / run brick it was really weird. Now, I actually run faster off the bike because my legs are warmed up and my pace is quick.

Ideally I think you should be training so that you are doing more miles than what you have to do in the race. For example, build your training distances up to a peak about 10 days out from your race. If your swim is 500 yards in the race, you should be able to do 750 comfortably in training. If your bike is 12 miles, you should do 18 comfortably. If the run is 3.1, you should do 4 comfortably. If you do all that and a couple bike / run bricks, the race will actually be easy for you and you'll have a great time!

Tell me where you are at right now for distances and time and we can build a plan or find one that will work. This is the fun part!

2009-01-27 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Sorry I have been inactive the last 3 days. I caught a nasty cold and feel like total crap. No exercise for me so far this week. I'm going to shoot for a run on Thursday as long as I feel a bit better.

I'll also throw out my $.02 for getting better at running.
I can only run at a steady pace for maybe 1.5miles at a time (I think it's a mental block), even though I did a 7 mile run the other day. I started doing a run/walk interval for the longer stuff, and it not only works great, it's actually FAST! Here is what I do:

I set my Timex Ironman watch intermittant timer for 4:00, 1:00, repeat.
The first two cycles (4x1x4x1), I walk 4 min, run 1, walk 4, run 1. That is my warmup.
For my run, I just flip it, run 4 and walk 1, for the bulk of the distance.
Then cool down just walking for a bit at the end.

Just did this with my friend Scott (slickster on BT) this past weekend on a 7 mile country gravel road run. We did the entire 7 miles in 1hr 20min. We also have only basically been running since about October/November, so don't stress. Just figure out what works for you!! Sometimes I feel like I can run more than the 4min, other times I feel like the 4min timer can't beep soon enough. It's a good trick though, because I can glance at my watch and know exactly how much longer till I get to walk a bit, and I push through.
2009-01-27 1:40 PM

New user

Hi - did the C25K week 5, day 3 yesterday - managed 20 minutes of running non-stop. Wait, don't laugh, that's pretty awesome for me!

I've just updated my training log. This is getting pretty silly - my training info is tracked separately through:

* garmin connect, for workouts in which I've worn my HRM and footpod

* spark people, for the points

* list of exercise minutes for a sparkpeople challenge

* map my run/bike/tri - started tracking runs there to track shoe usage

* and here! 

That's a lot of data to input, and I'm not sure how useful it is having it multiple places. 

Meanwhile, in training, my running is on track, and I've started using my stationary bike more. My plan is to get in the mileage on there before the snow goes away, so bike 2/3 times a week and also get the cadence up. Am planning to get in another swimming workout this week - couldn't last week due to sick kids at home (and spouse away).

best to all!

2009-01-27 3:15 PM

User image

New user

Maine
hey everyone hows it going I'm taking a day off today because yesterday during my hockey game I think I got a concusion but I'm not to sure hopefully I'll be alright. I got in a run before my game it was only ten minutes but its great because now I have someone to train with hes doing a triathlon in the late summer so hes about where I was two years ago I hope everyone is doing well
-pat
2009-01-27 5:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
I forgot to share a cool gadget that I picked up the other day. I stopped in at The Sports Authority for a couple things and saw a small portable speaker deal for mp3 players. I figured even if it didn't work all that great, it was only $10, so what the heck. I am very pleasently surprised in it's performance!! It takes 2 AA batteries, and get's plenty loud for running with others, and possibly loud enough for bike rides if placed on the handle bars.

I wanted it for running with my friends so we could have some music, and the Nike+ipod deal counting off the milage. Worked great on my 7miler the other day (actually had to turn it down a few times because we couldn't hear cars approaching), and it was in my jacket pocket!

http://www.hmdxaudio.com/hmdx/speaker-on-the-go.html
2009-01-28 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1930780

User image

Mtskibum a/k/a/ MENTOR,

thank you so much!  i am printing out your response.  i will post my times in each category so you can help me plan...i feel very relieved knowing that i have a supportive mentor. 

talk to you soon.

va 

2009-01-29 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver

You got it Virginia! You can do this!

Hey everyone, I had a thought this morning while I was running. One thing that really helped me when I was training for my first tri and still helps me to this day is getting inspires for other people. I love this site because you can inspire people everyday.

If you don't already have the people in the group listed in your friends section, I would say Git R done. That way, everytime you post your workout, you can click on the other people in the group and send them an inspire.

Let's see how many inspires we can send for the next week! Ready, Go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mtskibum's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 4