BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-01-06 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1864322

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - CLOSED
Don't worry about time right now. Work on your technique. Try to be quiet and 'slippery'. Count your stokes for each length. If you can take even 1 stroke per length average off your normal count you'll find big gains in the end. Well done!

2009-01-06 4:26 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC
I finally realized today how important it is to keep training fun.  In the past the long bike workouts were super discouraging.  I hated biking.  Even with music and sometimes the occasional magazine it still was no fun.  Someone recommended I look at a thread about winter training and sets I could do.  Today I did the bike for 1 1/2 hours (for me it's a long time) with an actual workout and it was fun. Yeah you read right, FUN!!!  
2009-01-06 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
I agree with changing things up and making it fun.  I had an 8 mile trail run with a friend of mine this week.  It was on a mountain bike trail and it is very steep.  It was just not my normal run and I had a blast.  I definitely pushed the heart rate but because I was concentrating on the view, my feet, the trail and had some company the time just flew by.  Congrats on a fun bike workout.  They seem to carry you through on the rough ones. Laughing  Chet
2009-01-07 12:14 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Good morning group. It's been a bit quiet, and I was wondering how everyone was doing. Please feel free to offer up your comments or questions here. That way we can better find out what everyone needs to help them succeed. As this is a non-coaching forum I admit I'm trying to find my way on how best to suit the Mentor theme. I'm open to your ideas too as this forum is to help YOU.

Here is what my swim workout was today. If the distance is more than your normal, it also works well cut in half.

Warmup:
400 meters free with flip turns.

Main:
- 10x50m as 50kick/50 catchup drill/50 swim.
- 4 x 200m free as:
200 moderate/100fast 100 moderate/100moderate 100 fast/200 fast (with 15 sec rest between 200s)
- 5 x 100 pull as: Breathing 3,5,3,7 on each 50 (with 15 sec rest each 100)

Cool:
200 back

Total 2400m

Edited by marinusw 2009-01-07 3:11 PM
2009-01-07 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I did something kind of similar, but not as many yards as I only have about 25 minutes to swim at lunch.

1x500 Easy warmup

5x50 kick w/kickboard
5x50 catch up drill w/Pull Buoy
5x50 vary breathing every 4 strokes, 5 strokes, 6 strokes, 7 strokes

Plan to do about 45-50 minutes on the trainer this evening. I race in a online virtual league for owners of the Tacx I-Magic and Fortius trainers. Every two weeks everyone rides the same VR course and then submits their data to the website. It is a great way to stay competitive on the bike in the winter. This week's course is kind of rolling with a couple of big climbs:

http://www.virtualcycling.org/Results.aspx?id=91

It is a really good system to help with the boredom of bike training indoors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2QCaFrlN6g

Bob

Edited by rventuri 2009-01-07 12:36 PM
2009-01-07 6:48 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Can anyone teach me about bike trainers (are rollers the same?).  I would like to get one because soon I will be moving back into my house and want to continue my bike workouts until I can get outside.  Right now I have a stationary bike in the condo we are staying at so it is convenient.  I have been looking on craiglist but I don't know anything about them so its hard to know what is good and what is not.  

I had a great swim as well today.  Did the second day on the workout plan that you put up Marinus.  Worked hard and expect to feel it tomorrow.  Right now I am going for a run, just bought a water belt from the running room.  

I will be looking for a wet suit for this season, "rent" or "buy"?  Any thoughts.

2009-01-07 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Really there are three main types...

Fluid
Magnetic
Motor Brake

Most attach to your bike at the skewer and provide tension for your backwheel as you pedal. Rollers on the other hand are basically rollers that you pedal your bike on, but your bike is not attached to them. It takes some skill and balance to keep from falling over, but some swear by them and prefer them to trainers.

Personally, I have a virtual reality trainer with a magnetic brake - the Tacx I-Magic. Probably the most common and popular vr trainer is the Computrainer. Some say it has the most realistic feel to it. On vr trainers you ride in a virtual world or while watching a video. When you get to a hill, the trainer applies more resistance to simulate climbing. Some trainers like the newest one from Tacx, the Fortius, will also assist you in pedaling down hill so that you can more or less free wheel.

I love mine. I had a non-vr trainer originally, but never used it because I found it too boring. Using the vr trainer is al lot like riding outside, you encounter hills, you can draft other riders, you can simulate wind, etc. It was well worth the investment for me.

If you haven't already looked at, here is a promo video from Tacx about their vr trainer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNu9bhJ7CD8

If you don't want to invest in a VR trainer (the cheapest one goes for about $700 USD), their is a company called Fitcentric that makes sofware and hardware to turn just about any trainer into a vr trainer.

http://www.riderunrow.com

Check it out, it sure makes riding inside a lot less tedious.

Here is a great video on rollers:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1611

As for a wetsuit, I would buy mainly because you'll want to get used to swimming in it prior to a race. The buoyancy of a wetsuit makes for a different swimming experience.

Check out: http://www.desotosport.com

They are a great company to work with and have a unique two piece design that allows you to really dial in the fit.

Bob

Edited by rventuri 2009-01-07 8:36 PM
2009-01-07 9:50 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Does anyone have any tips on how to do flip turns? I consider myself to be a strong swimming; however, I have not seem to be able to master these.  I always run out of breath and am only able to do one every 6 laps or so!  Any suggestions?
2009-01-07 10:38 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Bob,

Thanks that was a lot of great info.  $700 bones, Pricey; I'm not that rich (not yet at least).  I wonder if I looked on craiglist and got one and then went with the software route.  My brother in law has a roller I think, maybe next time I see him I will give it a try.  Technology is amazing.  That virtual ride sound pretty cool.  Maybe that VR trainer will be my present to my self after reaching all my goals this year.  

When I was out and about today I saw a place that makes wet suits for triathlons, I'm going to go and check it out tomorrow.  I agree with you about getting one, it is something I will want to try before I am actually in a race.  

Thanks a lot.

If anyone else has anything , I am all ears!

2009-01-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: #1893886

User image

Vancouver, BC

That was a good question.  I remember being taught to do a flip turn when I was young in swimming, it felt so weird and unnatural, but now I don't think twice about it.  Just takes practice. I don't even know where to start on explaining it without actually being in a pool so I found a good video that does a good job.  

I really hope it helps.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtP8xgzm6do

Hughe

2009-01-07 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1893593

User image

Vancouver, BC

OK I just checked out the video you sent me a link to.  AWESOME.  Its like the coolest video game times 100.  Must have it.  MUST GET A PART TIME JOB!!

Very cool!!!!

2009-01-07 11:50 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
I'll add some thoughts to the various posts all together:

Sarah: Personal teaching is the best, but another useful resource is www.goswim.tv They have a bunch of drills there, including flip turn practice. Try: http://www.goswim.tv/entries/4354/turns---freestyle-flip-turn-step-1.html The main thing I think is to break it down into parts, and practice. You can expect to be out of position after your turn for a while. Just go slow, don't stay to far out fro the wall, and practice lots.

Hughe: If you don't plan to do a lot of indoor riding, my own belief is to not spend too much $$ on a trainer. Me - as soon as I can get outdoors on my bike I do. I have an old Mag trainer, and it works fine, although if you can afford a bit more a fluid trainer is a bit better. Any bike store in town sells them. I can recommend a few if you want.

For wetsuits, definitely buy. But be sure to try on lots. Like trainers, there is a wide price range.  Most brands have 3 levels of price points. You'll notice a big difference between the cheapest ones and the next up. Unless your a very good swimmer you might not notice a lot of difference between the middle and top end suits. But it MUST be comfortable. I spent an hour last week trying on 6 suits, and in the end I wasn't comfortable enough in any of them to buy it. A good store will let you try on a bunch (give yourself lots of time) and most will let you try demo models on in a pool. Be sure to ask. Again, I can recommend a few local places if you want.

2009-01-08 12:36 AM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus,

That would be great if you could recommend some places for me to look at wet suits.  Are there certain brand names that are better quality.  Do I get long sleeve, short sleeve, what mm?  I will be swimming locally so you know what temps I would be expecting. 

Thanks Hughe

2009-01-08 12:43 AM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus

I took my HR while running today and I was curious if it was to high and I need to back off or push more.  I have read that in distance sports HR is very important and that you want to keep it in a certain range.  I am not sure what that is.  My resting is 61.  I posted up the HR max and average that I got from the run today.  I am not sure how accurate the machine is but it sounded about right.  What do you think?

Cheers 

Hughe

2009-01-08 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Hughe: If you don't plan to do a lot of indoor riding, my own belief is to not spend too much $$ on a trainer. Me - as soon as I can get outdoors on my bike I do. I have an old Mag trainer, and it works fine, although if you can afford a bit more a fluid trainer is a bit better. Any bike store in town sells them. I can recommend a few if you want.

Hughe:

Marinus is right. You can get a a pretty good trainer for $100-$200 USD, or a set of rollers for even less. I am a bit of a technofile, so I like playing with the latest technology and applying it to my training. It may not be for everyone.

Some of the best trainers are make by Kurt Kinetic. They are pretty much recognized as the best available. I have used one before and they are extremely smooth.

Also the subject of wetsuits. Desoto will allow you to order different sizes from their web site and try them out and return what doesn't fit. When you are ready to place an order, they call you and talk you thru taking measurements, etc. You can do a search here on the forum, and you'll find nothing but praise for the company and its customer service. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Bob

Edited by rventuri 2009-01-08 9:50 AM
2009-01-08 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1894012

User image

Tucson, Arizona
hrose77 - 2009-01-07 9:38 PM

Thanks that was a lot of great info.  $700 bones, Pricey; I'm not that rich (not yet at least).  I wonder if I looked on craiglist and got one and then went with the software route. 

A great place to look for bike "things" is www.nashbar.com. They are pretty inexpensive and always have things on sale and clearance. I just looked and they have a trainer for $140 and rollers for $170. I prefer trainers, but I have friends who prefer rollers. I think it's a personal preference. You run the risk of falling on the rollers so it's been suggested to me to put it some place where you can hang on if you need (like by a wall or a counter).

If you have a Performance Bikes in your area, Nashbar is a side company of them. So you can go into Performance and see what they have, and then check Nashbar and possibly get it cheaper. 

Hope this is helpful. Biking is my area of expertise, swimming and running are where I need help.

Kristi

2009-01-08 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1894119

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hughe:

Heart rate training when done right is very person specific. You can get your individual HR zones determined buy getting a lacate threshold test. I did mine last fall, at Peak Performance, and my Zones are:

Z1: 132-143 (bpm)
Z2: 144-164
Z3: 165-173
Z4: 174-188
Z5: 189+

These are mine. Yours will vary. My wife's top of Z1 for example is 10 bpm higher in Z1 than mine. Your biking zones will also differ.  With these determined, then you can target what you should be working at. Up to 80% of your weekly volume should be in Zone 1. These are your weekly long slow runs. The rest of your weekly workouts should normally be in Zone 3 or 4.

In my normal 3 weekly runs:
1) I do a long Sunday run at a target of 142 - 144 bpm
2) A 10km pace run half at a low Z2 warmup, then half at my 10km race pace. This usually puts me around 168 bpm
3) An 8 - 10km hard run with 2 km warmup, then 1km repeats hard (Z3 - Z4) with 2 minutes rest between sets.

Using your numbers I'd guess, and this is just a guess, that you were in the top of Z1. Decide what you are targeting in your workout. Is it a LSD (long slow distance) or a pace run? I'd recommend you get a heart rate monitor. Sets like the Garmin Forerunner series are getting quite inexpensive.

For your wetsuit, right now there is not a lot of stock in. Around March most stores will get in more. The one I recently found that has a fair bit in and lets you try on and pool test is Tri Geeks. See www.trigeeks.ca Talk to Tanya. Speed Theory is also good, but their stock is low right now. All brands say they have something special that makes them better. Frankly, the differences are so small you won't notice the performance. Comfort is what you want. Make sure it is flexible enough during your shoulder rotation. I happen to have a "19". I've tried all the major brands. What sold me was how the seams felt and the flexibility aroud my shoulders. But you'll need to judge for yourself.

2009-01-08 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1894555

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Kristi;

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas too. I apprecaite everyones input. And with biking being your strength I hope we can draw on that more in the future too.

2009-01-08 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1894719

User image

Vancouver, BC

Marinus,

I am not sure what you mean when you say " figure out what you are targeting"? I come from the mentality to always give %110.  I'm new to the heart rate thing (as well as distance sports).  

Example: If I am running twice a week, the shorter run I should keep my HR higher (push more).  On the longer runs, keep the HR lower (slower/steady)?

Recommend any good place to buy a HR monitor?  

I thought scuba diving was an expensive sport?  

Hughe

2009-01-09 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1896723

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hughe;

By targeting, what I meant is that workout a LSD (long slow distance) run, or a temp run? Your LSD needs to stay down in Zone 1. Your shorter pace runs and speed work needs to be in Z3 or higher (excluding warmup & cool down of course).

For HRMs, I have the Garmin 405. I like the size, plus I could add a cadence component on my bike. I got it at The Running Room on sale. I have also bought things through GPS City (http://www.gpscity.ca/).

2009-01-09 9:33 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

Thanks Marinus.  I did some reading up last night on lactate threshold and am starting to wrap my head around the whole thing HR, and why it is so important.  It's pretty interesting!

2009-01-11 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

So what is everyone's key workout this week?  Mine is a 9 mile long run that I am trying to determine marathon pace off of.  I am trying to be realistic about May but my predicted pace off of my last half marathon may be a little fast. 

Chet

2009-01-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1901237

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I usually don't have one workout that I key on, but I do look forward to my Saturday ride which is usually 2+ hours long when the weather is good. I try to throw in some intervals, etc.

Other than that, I try to do some intense stuff on the trainer at least one night a week to get the HR up.

Actually, I need to get out on my tri bike some in the next few weeks since I have a duathlon coming up on 1/31. I just don't enjoy riding it too much in the cold weather.

Hope everyone in the group had a great weekend.
2009-01-12 10:35 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Except for a few of you, it's been quiet here lately. Is there anything else that the rest of you would like to discuss here that would make this more useful?

This is your forum. Let's do what we can to help you reach your goals.

2009-01-13 8:58 PM

User image

Vancouver, BC

I'm gonna make my key work out my long bike day.  I'm going to see if my brother in law wants to go for a good long ride with me.  He is a good biker and I always learn a lot when I ride with him, as well as get a good workout.  Hope you're all having a good week!

Hughe

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  

of 11