Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-06 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1890863

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: mjewen's group - FULL

mellymedic - 2009-01-06 8:22 PM I have a question. I am taking the olympic training plan and modifying it to fit my schedule. If you remember I am training to conquer the sprint distance yet I am taking the olympic plan. Sometimes I am not ging to do the distance mentioned, I'll do less but I like the structure that is there for running. Here is the question. On a weekly basis I want to document my planned workouts for the week. Is there a way to do that. At the moment I am going to put comments for that week to know what I am supposed to do.

Yes you could put that under short term goals. Click on change display settings under the calendar in your log and then click on the tab for goals. You can type in your planned workouts there and even use the abc button to put a line through them when they are completed!

2009-01-06 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1867684

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
that is an idea but that would get very long after awhile. Maybe I could do that one week at a time. For now I am putting it in the blog section of the day. This way I can put a couple weeks at a time of my schedule.
2009-01-06 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1891135

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

mellymedic - 2009-01-06 10:32 PM that is an idea but that would get very long after awhile. Maybe I could do that one week at a time. For now I am putting it in the blog section of the day. This way I can put a couple weeks at a time of my schedule.

You could probably put more than a weeks worth in at a time. Ive seen others do it!

2009-01-07 3:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
So what's everyone got planned for today?..I was going to swim but the schools are closed because of the snow rain storm and the pool is at the HS, so Im s.o.l. on that one. Might do some core/strength later..
2009-01-07 3:12 PM

New user

Plainfield, IL

I just got home from the YMCA.  I swam my little 100 meters and walked my required 20 minutes.  I feel pretty good.  My question is....would it be beneficial to get a swimming coach (trainer) now at the beginning of my training?  or wait until I can swim more than 100 meters without feeling like I'm going to die (haha)  I don't want to waste anyones time but I also don't want to pick up bad habits. 

I've watched a few of the swimming videos someone posted...and I'm sure I don't do anything right.  I can't imagine swimming 500 meters...oh my gosh.  I'm sure I will work up my endurance, but when I watch other people swim I can't believe how easy they make it seem.  I feel like it's a struggle to get from one end of the pool to the other.

Any suggestions??

Sandy 

2009-01-07 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1892995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Getting a coach sooner rather than later would be beneficial, that way you can learn proper technique and not make bad habits worse. Plus they could create a plan for you to build endurance!

2009-01-07 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I'll post some questions every once in awhile to generate some discussion, feel free to answer as few or as many as you like....

1. Who has a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if so what brand/model?
  2. What type/brand/model bike(s) do you have?  Name(s)?   
  3. What brand/model running shoes do you wear?  Same or different for training vs racing?  

More to come in the future....if anyone else wants to ask the group general questions, jump right in.   

Edited by mjewen 2009-01-07 4:30 PM
2009-01-07 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1892995

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Sandy- Your doing great with the workouts. I have full confidence in you that you will achieve your short term goal. And don't be intimidated by all the other people.

I was a bit nervous when I joined my triathlon club as I am not a runner but I was at practice every week and sure enough I was getting lapped by everyone when we ran on the track. But I didn't care. I was there and that was half the battle - getting off the couch. Now I still get lapped by them, but not as much.
2009-01-07 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1893194

User image

Veteran
Fremont

I'm wanting to get a heart rate monitor soon... There are so many to pick from out there, and I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money...I see some of them out there without chest straps, I would think that wouldn't be as accurate?... I will also be watching for deals on road bikes in the next several months...

Any suggestions on either of these?

Bought Asics Gel running shoes a couple months ago and love em'.

Thanks!

2009-01-07 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
mjewen - 2009-01-07 5:30 PM

I'll post some questions every once in awhile to generate some discussion, feel free to answer as few or as many as you like....

1. Who has a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if so what brand/model?Now have a WORKING garmin ... but no HRM
  2. What type/brand/model bike(s) do you have?  Name(s)?    Trek equinox 9 carbon...I need every ounce of help I can get in the bike!  I stink.
  3. What brand/model running shoes do you wear?  Same or different for training vs racing?  Was consistantly running in Asics 2120 for 3 yrs but then came across a pair of Sauconies (Jazz) that I fell in love with. Im now on my 2nd pair.

More to come in the future....if anyone else wants to ask the group general questions, jump right in.   

2009-01-07 9:06 PM

User image

mjewen - 2009-01-07 4:30 PM

1. Who has a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if so what brand/model?
  2. What type/brand/model bike(s) do you have?  Name(s)?   
  3. What brand/model running shoes do you wear?  Same or different for training vs racing?  

Hello all.  goodness.. this day has been very long, and I have yet to get into my workouts!  I am back on the road for work, and this being the first day at the site - there are issues to smooth over, so training can continue in the morning.  yikes!!  so long day and long nite. 

Mike, I wanted to answer your questions.. so here you go!

1. Do I use a HR monitor? If so, what brand?

I do use a HR monitor.  I went to using one last year when I was walking 6 miles a day, eating right, but at a standstill on the weight loss.

I discovered I had built a very good base walking so my HR no longer went up.

I started using a Polar F6 and have since dropped another 50 lbs.  It has taken my workouts to a different level, and knowing where my HR’s run, helps me train for endurance so much better.

I like the F6 – it is about $109, and is a great starter.  I am contemplating a garmin 305 or 405.  Many of my runs and bikes are in areas off road, or on trails that are hard to figure out the actual mileage, so I would love the GPS features.

I would also like something that can help me better guage my running pace.  I still struggle a bit when not on the Treadmill, as I tend to go out too fast… then get way out of breath too quickly..

2. What bike do you use?

I have an old Bridgestone Mixte (now Rivendale).  My brother fixed it up for me so there are a lot of modifications.  the next modification is to get race handle bars.  I love how light the frame is, and how it breaths with the road.  It makes biking soooo pleasurable.  I have never known a bike ride so well.

3. What running shoes?

I had been running in Asics gels… not sure which style, but they were very comfortable. – till I had foot surgery!  suddenly the toe box was just not right for my healing foot.  There is still a little bit of swelling, so I have to watch what shoe I wear.  I ended up now with a pair of Brooks running shoes.  They really help my foot feel very secure and since getting the right shoe, I have been able to get out running again. 

ok.. off I go to TRY to get work finished and finally a bit of a swim!

roxann

2009-01-07 9:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor
Heart Rate Monitor:

I have the Polar F6 heart rate monitor. I got mine a year ago for $105 CDN. (from http://www.runningfree.com/).I wanted to go with a Polar because the machines at the gym are polar machines so it picks up my heart rate. I don't have to always look at my watch to know my heart rate and I can use the machine setting of heart rate to adjust my speed. It calculates max and avg heart rate. It stores the past 12 sessions on the watch. You can download the data onto your computer. I did the downloading at first but my mic isn't the greatest and I had issues transferring the data (the data transfers by sound). I gave up on that. I often used the heart rate to know when I was training too hard.

I know I don't use my hr monitor enough to pick my speeds which maybe someone here can help me with. I think I am going to start using the hr rate monitor to pick my speed on my medium length runs.

Shoes:

In the past I have used the asic gels which I loved. However my last pair that I bought wasn't fitting right and I had to return them. I ended up getting Brooks which I like too . I have wierd shaped feet so if I find a pair that fit right I take them. For my next pair if I can go back to an asics I will.

Bike:

I have a 2007 Norco CRD 2 which I bought last year. And Of course when I got the bike I had to get the clipless pedals. That was scary getting - knowing I was attached to the bike. I fell a few times the first ride due to poles on the bike path. If it wasn't for them I would have been fine. I didn't fall the rest of the summer. I am still scared to do really big hills and beign attached to the bike.
2009-01-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1889555

mike,

thanks for the input on my times, and it is very true Im only racing myself out there in the beginning. Thanks again

2009-01-07 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1893779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor

mellymedic - 2009-01-07 10:13 PM Heart Rate Monitor:  And Of course when I got the bike I had to get the clipless pedals. That was scary getting - knowing I was attached to the bike. I fell a few times the first ride due to poles on the bike path. If it wasn't for them I would have been fine. I didn't fall the rest of the summer. I am still scared to do really big hills and beign attached to the bike.

Heh clipless pedals...thankfully there are no pictures of me falling down,  half attached to my bike, in my driveway the first few times I rode with them. Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself.

2009-01-07 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
After taking yesterday off from training, my body was well rested for my outdoor run today. I almost backed out of it and went for a cycle class instead as the weather outside was not the greatest. The temperature was hovering around the freezing mark which is good but the roads had sluch, snow, ice, puddles. You name it- I had it. The only think I didn't have was dry pavement.

But one of my goals this year was to do winter running outdoors. And I went out and spent money on the proper clothing. So there I was tonight running in the sluch, snow. I was out for just under an hour and did 5 miles. I felt really good during the run and I am happy I went. Although my feet got wet, I much prefer being outside than being in a very crowded gym which I will tackle another day. That may change once the temperature starts dropping more.

I hope everyone elses training is going well.
2009-01-07 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1893801

I dont know if you are old enough to remember the show "Laugh In" but every time I hear of someone falling on a bike I think of that guy on that show on the tricycle. Its very funny if you know the show.

2009-01-07 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1893807

hate to rub it in but Im on my way to St Thomas in the AM for 5 days of warmth. See you all when I get back, I will keep the swimming and the running going while Im there but no bike
2009-01-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: #1893815

User image

sloimpac - 2009-01-07 9:23 PM I dont know if you are old enough to remember the show "Laugh In" but every time I hear of someone falling on a bike I think of that guy on that show on the tricycle. Its very funny if you know the show.

LOL on that visual!!  yes, that would describe the fall ever so well.. hehehe.

yes.. I think if you go clipless... there WILL be a fall somewhere in there!  you have to get it out of your system.

2009-01-07 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1893821

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
sloimpac - 2009-01-07 10:26 PM

hate to rub it in but Im on my way to St Thomas in the AM for 5 days of warmth. See you all when I get back, I will keep the swimming and the running going while Im there but no bike

Enjoy the warmth. I can pretend I am in St Thomas while I am running with snow all around me.
2009-01-07 9:32 PM

New user

Plainfield, IL

Who has a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if so what brand/model?   Do I need one??

What type/brand/model bike(s) do you have?  Name(s)? I ride a Giant Hybrid   It's good enough for now...but I"m sure I'll need a road bike somewhere down the line

What brand/model running shoes do you wear?  Same or different for training vs racing?  Saucony ProGrid Omni 6.  I am on my feet all day (I'm a nurse) so I wanted to make sure I had good running shoes.

2009-01-07 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
  1. Who has a HRM (heart rate monitor) and if so what brand/model? I have a Garmin 305 and I love it.  I originally did not use the HRM but have been now for over a year.  I have the cadence sensor so it doubles as my bike computer.  I use it during my triathlons on the bike, T2 and run and on all my run races.  For races I don't pay much attention to my HR during the race except some on the bike portion of my HIM.  I also have the foot pod so I can log my dreaded treadmill runs too.  I ran 60 miles when we were in Italy in April 2007 and 45 miles in Mexico last October.  It's neat to see runs on a map from your more exotic locations.  I also love the GPS for the distance feature and being to program intervals.  
  2. What type/brand/model bike(s) do you have?  Name(s)?  A 2008 Felt B12, my first true tri bike.  It's carbon with 40mm rims so the wheels are somewhat aero.  Neat (to me at least) black and white color scheme.  They have improved the 2009 B12 quite a bit for about $500 more, better frame, integrated areobars, worse color scheme (IMHO) but I'm happy with my bike for the next few years.  No real name for "her" although sometimes I think I should call her Vita, short for vitamin.  Vitamin B12, get it?   
  3. What brand/model running shoes do you wear?  Same or different for training vs racing?  I used to run in Saucony's and still have some.  My main training shoes have been Brooks Adrenalines, started with the 6, have one pair of the 7s I haven't worn yet and am using 8 now.  I got some Asic Gel-Banditos I started wearing for races, they are only 7.9 oz as opposed to 11.9 oz for my Brooks.  I also have some Saucony trail shoes and a pair of Pearl Izumi's. I'm kind of a shoe junky, I have about 5 new pair waiting to be worn.   I wear stability shoes and custom orthotics due to achilles issues.  

2009-01-07 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

sloimpac - 2009-01-07 10:26 PM hate to rub it in but Im on my way to St Thomas in the AM for 5 days of warmth. See you all when I get back, I will keep the swimming and the running going while Im there but no bike

braggart!!Tongue out but have a blast....very jealous here...

2009-01-07 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

sloimpac - 2009-01-07 9:26 PM hate to rub it in but Im on my way to St Thomas in the AM for 5 days of warmth. See you all when I get back, I will keep the swimming and the running going while Im there but no bike

Steve, enjoy your time away! Have a beer on the beach for me!

2009-01-07 10:04 PM
in reply to: #1893815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

sloimpac - 2009-01-07 9:23 PM I dont know if you are old enough to remember the show "Laugh In" but every time I hear of someone falling on a bike I think of that guy on that show on the tricycle. Its very funny if you know the show.

Wasn't that Artie Johnson?  Whatever his name was I've resembled him a few times.  First time I rode with my tri club it was only my second time with clipless pedals.  We did a hill workout and I fell TWICE at almost exactly the same spot at the top of the hill turning around....right in the middle of the street. 

2009-01-08 3:55 AM

yes it was Artey Johnsen, that just crackes me up for some reason. Well of to the great blue yander see ya in a couple of days.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mjewen's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9