BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-13 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1905518

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL
mellymedic - 2009-01-13 6:47 PM

In terms of training within a HR interval, I found this article on a forum:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

My questions are this

1 - has anybody here tried this

2- if you don't have a lap counter on your HR monitor can you still do it?

3- how do you calculate the different zones. MY HR monitor will only tell me how long I've been in a zone - one zone that is. The one that I tell it to be in.

4- what is the training bible?

by the way I have a polar HR monitor

1) I do something similar for the cycling lactate threshold testing - but I use a computrainer. But the idea is the same, ride as hard as you can and maintain it....meaning if you feel most comfortable at 90 cadence at 21 mph, at a hr of 169 - then you hold that for 20 minutes. The trick is finding how hard you can push, yet maintain.
2) are you saying you dont' have a lap counter on your HR monitor?
3 & 4) after you do the lactate threshold test, you then look in "the bible" (Joel Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible - it's a "must have" in every triathlete's library ) and there is a grid that you look up your avg hr and it will set your zones

I have the RS100 Polar HR monitor

2009-01-13 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1905617

User image

Veteran
mtemple - 2009-01-13 7:23 PM

melly, I can't really help since I've never trained with a HR monitor.  Just bought a new Garmin last week complete with a HR monitor, so I should know more after a few week of use.  Great article, though!  Thanks for sharing!

I have a question for you all, especially the experienced triathletes:  What do you where to race?  I like the idea of a tri suit because if I understand correctly, you would where that one outfit for the entire race.  That being said, the though of donning such an unflattering getup has me a bit worried!  Function over fashion though, right?!  So I'm wondering what everyone has found that works.  As an alternative, I was considering wearing a 2 piece speedo and putting on padded bike shorts for the cycling and running.  What works for you all?

Hope you all are having a fabulous day!  I'm leaving here ASAP to go for a bike ride before it gets dark.  Tomorrow I start training for the swim with some of my fellow newbies to the sport. =)

Tri suit....two piece as I always have to stop and go to the bathroom and don't want to wrestle with a one piece. I tried several brands of tri shorts and finally ended up with Zoot. Zoot is better for people with larger legs (ME!!), I also ended up with a zoot tri top as well.....I absolutely LOVE this outfit. It doesn't cut off the circulation in my legs from being too tight and doesn't chaff. I wear this under my wetsuit.
2009-01-13 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1906088

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I don't have that book. I'll have to look for it at my local library or bookstore. Maybe one of the people I train with has it.

It is more for running that I want to get the lactate threshhold.

so really once I am completely warmed up about 15 minutes, I have to push myself for my max for 20 minutes. Take the average HR which my HR monitor will give me. And then look that number up in the bible?

Do I have this right?
2009-01-13 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
And by the way my profile pic is from a triathlon. I wore that underneath my wetsuit.
2009-01-13 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1905617

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Whoops--looks like we all responded  at once!

Trisuits--one pieces--are bad if you have a weak, or a nervous, bladder.  Pre-race jitters will really have you when you are trying to pull that thing off! 

My first season I wore a Sugio Tri Bra top and tri shorts.  I did 2 sprints and Olympics.  Worked fine, till I saw the pictures and saw buddha.  Of course my older sister somehow thought she saw "defined abs", let's just say buddha happened to be hangin/swayin in a nice position  Season 2 I switched to a full length tri top.  Season 3- I wear my club's singlet with the tri-bra underneath.

Here's my advice---don't wear bicycle shorts unless you are racing an ironman and can change in/out.  If you swim with them, well, certain parts won't dry.  Besides, the "bike butt" I refered to in an earlier post usually goes away in 250-350 miles.  Trust me.  Then again, Tami?  I have never ridden over 75 miles.

On the bra/top....get a "triathlon" bra top that will dry when you exit the swim.  Think Zoot, Sugio, Danskin, Speedo....becuase of the material, it might cost a few more dollars than a normal bra top, but you'll feel a lot better on the run/bike.  

I can go on about hats, socks, shoes, transition. .......I am a bit of a gear geek

Edited by LB22 2009-01-13 9:31 PM
2009-01-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #1906098

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

mellymedic - 2009-01-13 9:17 PM I don't have that book. I'll have to look for it at my local library or bookstore. Maybe one of the people I train with has it. It is more for running that I want to get the lactate threshhold. so really once I am completely warmed up about 15 minutes, I have to push myself for my max for 20 minutes. Take the average HR which my HR monitor will give me. And then look that number up in the bible? Do I have this right?

Not quite---warm up for 15 minutes...then run 10 minutes at a faster pace..then for the next 20 minutes,push it as hard as you can and take the average heart rate over that time period (after a 15 minute cool down).  I guess if you don't have a lap counter, just start the heart rate monitor 25 minutes into the run?

so 15+10+20+15=1 hour total run 

Edited by LB22 2009-01-13 9:34 PM

2009-01-13 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1906131

User image

Veteran
LB22 - 2009-01-13 10:29 PM

Trisuits--one pieces--are bad if you have a weak, or a nervous, bladder.  Pre-race jitters will really have you when you are trying to pull that thing off! 

My first season I wore a Sugio Tri Bra top and tri shorts.  I did 2 sprints and Olympics.  Worked fine, till I saw the pictures and saw buddha.  Of course my older sister somehow thought she saw "defined abs", let's just say buddha happened to be hangin/swayin in a nice position  Season 2 I switched to a full length tri top.  Season 3- I wear my club's singlet with the tri-bra underneath.

Here's my advice---don't wear bicycle shorts unless you are racing an ironman and can change in/out.  If you swim with them, well, certain parts won't dry.  Besides, the "bike butt" I refered to in an earlier post usually goes away in 250-350 miles.  Trust me.  Then again, Tami?  I have never ridden over 75 miles.

On the bra/top....get a "triathlon" bra top that will dry when you exit the swim.  Think Zoot, Sugio, Danskin, Speedo....becuase of the material, it might cost a few more dollars than a normal bra top, but you'll feel a lot better on the run/bike.  

I can go on about hats, socks, shoes, transition. .......I am a bit of a gear geek

Bike shorts and Ironman....

For Ironman Lake Placid this year I decided to change clothes at each part of the race. Thinking I would be out there a long time and didn't want to chaff. So - I wore a swimsuit under my wetsuit, changed into cycling shirt and cycling shorts, then running shorts and top. Well - it RAINED THE ENTIRE DAY - SERIOUSLY - THE ENTIRE DAY! I basically wore a wet diaper for 112 miles on the bike and yes, I was chapped. lol

I would recommend tri shorts and tri top for short distances worn under a wetsuit....if you care about transition times, this will assist with that.....
2009-01-13 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
LOL!  It rained all day!  Yes, last year when I was thinking about IM I thought I would do the entire race in one outfit.  But after a few smelly half's this year, I thought of how nice it would be after 5+hours on the bike to switch to a bright neon outfit, especially since I will be running in the dark!
2009-01-13 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1906143

User image

Veteran
LB22 - 2009-01-13 10:33 PM

mellymedic - 2009-01-13 9:17 PM I don't have that book. I'll have to look for it at my local library or bookstore. Maybe one of the people I train with has it. It is more for running that I want to get the lactate threshhold. so really once I am completely warmed up about 15 minutes, I have to push myself for my max for 20 minutes. Take the average HR which my HR monitor will give me. And then look that number up in the bible? Do I have this right?

Not quite---warm up for 15 minutes...then run 10 minutes at a faster pace..then for the next 20 minutes,push it as hard as you can and take the average heart rate over that time period (after a 15 minute cool down).  I guess if you don't have a lap counter, just start the heart rate monitor 25 minutes into the run?

so 15+10+20+15=1 hour total run 

My guess is your local library has a copy of the Triathlete's Training bible....I think I checked it out at the library first before purchasing it.

I can take a look at that book tomorrow and let you know what it says about running HR zones (unless that is what LB22 is quoting?)
2009-01-13 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1906151

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

My guess is your local library has a copy of the Triathlete's Training bible....I think I checked it out at the library first before purchasing it. I can take a look at that book tomorrow and let you know what it says about running HR zones (unless that is what LB22 is quoting?)

If only I had the book!  But here is a link with what pages in the book to reference:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html

2009-01-13 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1906150

User image

Veteran
LB22 - 2009-01-13 10:36 PM

LOL!  It rained all day!  Yes, last year when I was thinking about IM I thought I would do the entire race in one outfit.  But after a few smelly half's this year, I thought of how nice it would be after 5+hours on the bike to switch to a bright neon outfit, especially since I will be running in the dark!

I asked my coach about what to wear and since he knew I'm not a speed demon, he recommended changing....then when the event came closer he said "what are you going to wear"....i told him and for the run it was black shorts and black top and he said "black? you're going to be hot"....I said "I'll be running in the dark.....". lol

Next year I plan on wearing my tri suit under my wet suit, wearing it on the bike and probably changing before going out on the run....

2009-01-13 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
thanks, any info about this book would be great.
in reply to: #1906156

User image

Veteran
LB22 - 2009-01-13 10:38 PM

My guess is your local library has a copy of the Triathlete's Training bible....I think I checked it out at the library first before purchasing it. I can take a look at that book tomorrow and let you know what it says about running HR zones (unless that is what LB22 is quoting?)

If only I had the book!  But here is a link with what pages in the book to reference:

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.html

PERFECT!!!!!!

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Good night all....I fell off the workout program today thanks to a what started off as a good day at work and ended as a bad day.  Then my left achilles is worrying me, which becomes too easy of an excuse.

But thanks to you all....and watching the biggest loser tonight (if that 350+kid can run 7.0 on the treadmill, then I can dammit!), I will be back to the work-out game plan tomorrow.

Thanks for the chatter!

2009-01-13 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
I haven't ever done this test. From my coach's perspective, we did the cycling lactate threshold and then added 10 heart beats to each and created running zones. We also do a one mile time trial for running to set running paces....easy, marathon pace, tempo etc
2009-01-13 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1906165

User image

Veteran
LB22 - 2009-01-13 10:40 PM

Good night all....I fell off the workout program today thanks to a what started off as a good day at work and ended as a bad day.  Then my left achilles is worrying me, which becomes too easy of an excuse.

But thanks to you all....and watching the biggest loser tonight (if that 350+kid can run 7.0 on the treadmill, then I can dammit!), I will be back to the work-out game plan tomorrow.

Thanks for the chatter!

My husband just started complaining that his achilles hurts too....please let me know how you think you injured it and what you are doing about it....i'll pass the info on to him.

2009-01-13 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Achilles- I truthfully thin it is more my soleus than achilles.  I do not think it is that I ramped my running mileage up too quickly, that has been the problem in the past.  I can only point to perhaps slipping on the snow/ice on saturday's run cause sunday I only biked at home.  Monday is when it started up I think.  (Need to check logs).

I am just icing it and strectching it.  (Neither of which hurt). I might try to get in for a deep tissue massage tomorrow evening--that usually resolves these things for me.  If not, and it is still buggin me this weekend, I will go see my accupuncturist/chiro.  I also have a great sports medicine doc for longer term projects, but I try to cure little "bugs" like this with rest, ice, and if needed, massage/accupuncture.

2009-01-13 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
looks like my library doesn't have it - online searching.

However the local bookstore has it. Looks like a new version of the book came out this month. But it is out of stock.

Edited by mellymedic 2009-01-14 8:14 AM
2009-01-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1906181

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

I see you mention massage. I'm wondering when is the best time to go. before or after a race? Do you workout the same day you get a massage? I've never had one but have some gift certificates so I may be getting a few in the future and wanted to get some opinions on the best time. I"m aslo very curious about accupucture. How often do you go and does it hurt?

I also watched the BL (Biggest Loser). This show does give me motivation. They work them pretty hard. I got up for spinning this morning which was pretty rough for the first half but then got much better. Pretty sure I have bike butt now....

Alright time to look for this book, I mean work...Thanks!

2009-01-14 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I watched the biggest loser last night. And I kind of feel like I am not working hard enough when I see an out of shape over weight guy is running at 7mph and my sprints are at most 7.5mph. Granted I hold mine for 30 sec - 1 minute and I do them over and over and he holds them for 5 seconds. It still doesn't seem right. I think I might need to up the ante on my sprint intervals.

I must say that I am really liking the support the contestants are giving eachother this season. Last season lacked that. At least the editing showed a lack of support.
2009-01-14 10:06 AM

New user

Thanks for the clothing tips everyone!  I know you all suggested that I get tri shorts instead of padded bike shorts for my first tri (a spring), which I've looked into, however I'm finding that most tri shorts are "padded."  Is it just a lighter padding than standard bike shorts? 

Re: achilles injuries.  I've always found that a massage and rest are the only things that work for me.  Depending on the severity of the injury and the level of the pain, I've taken anywhere from 3 days off to 2 weeks off.  I typically try to rest right at the onset of pain so the injury doesn't have time to progress much.  Feel better!

Tonight I am meeting a group for an hour swim at a local indoor pool.  It's my first swim in years and I'm really looking forward to getting back into the water.  What's everyone else planning re: workouts for today? 

2009-01-14 10:08 AM

New user

Oh, and re: biggest loser....I'm also a fan!  I didn't catch last night's episode because I fell asleep early (the changes in workouts has me so tired!!), but I have it taped.  I just love watching the progress.  I especially like to check in years after the show aired to see how the former contestants are maintaining.  It's such a motivating show!
2009-01-14 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
I have a 60 minute threshold run today - OUCH!
2009-01-14 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1907090

New user

Tamio - 2009-01-14 9:27 AM I have a 60 minute threshold run today - OUCH!

Yikes, good luck!  Can't wait to hear how it goes.

2009-01-14 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Workout: 45-1 hour run (on treadmill)

Addn't HR/LT test info from PM to a lvel 1 USAT coach on the boards here:

Mike- Saw your post on the LT tests. This is a stupid question, I know the answer, but I just want to confirm.

Tests should be done periodically to confirm thresholds still apply (ie fitness improves/declines (idleness) ) Right?

Response: yes, and even more than that, if your run pace / bike power / swim pace improves at the same HR / effort.

If I test for a 155 HR at LT at 7:00 per mile running pace, then I re-test one month later and at 155 HR at LT is 6:45 pace, then I have improved. If I run slower than 7:00, then I have to re-think my training or look at my training for the last month to see if I've done all my workouts properly.
I Hope that helps!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14