BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-10 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2076549

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)
sage - 2009-04-10 2:06 PM This weekend: 
10K run, Burnaby Lake Revenge... Last time I ran this trail, it defeated me. Today, I fight back and win.

40K bike ride.

Nice! Show that trail what's up! I am hoping to do that this year with the first-ever triathlon I did back in August of 2007. I finished the race then, but it was painful. I need to go back and show that btitch who's boss

2009-04-10 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2076594

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
steph94483 - 2009-04-10 11:23 AM

wplummer - 2009-04-10 12:21 PM well good news for me. this morning was my 2 month doctors visit post partial knee replacement. i have been cleared to do almost anything-a slow jog is ok. my range of motion is at 90% of normal. now i just need to work on my strength since my quads were cut to access my knee. everyday week i am making progress-walking normally, and being able to swim and bike, and maybe do a lot more walking starting tomorrow. i hope everyone has a great weekend.

Wow! That sounds like fantastic news.

Today, I am taking off. It's my birthday, and I have a hot date. My husband is taking me to a movie. Is there anything good out? Tomorrow I am riding with some friends and doing a short run afterwards. I'm not sure about Sunday. Since it's Easter and the Y is closed.

Congrats on the news and happy birthday! My wife and I saw "I Love You, Man" a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. If you have seen Knocked Up, 40 Year Old Virgin, Superbad- it is along the same lines.

This weekend I am going to do my first ever running "race", a 5k. I am pretty excited to get out there as I feel like I have gotten much better at running the last few couple of months and haven't really pushed myself too hard yet. I think a 5k will be a good opportunity to do so.
2009-04-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Expert
Cambridge
THIS weekend is a mostly write off. I'm working good friday, easter sunday and easter monday. (or rather i worked good friday, i've just got home)
its reasonably active work and because i'm the only guy there out of 40 odd staff i get asked to do all the lifting/reaching for things

I'll hit the gym tomorrow in between thesis writing though. Maybe go for a 10mile or 20 k bike.
2009-04-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2076747

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 3:31 PM THIS weekend is a mostly write off. I'm working good friday, easter sunday and easter monday. (or rather i worked good friday, i've just got home)
its reasonably active work and because i'm the only guy there out of 40 odd staff i get asked to do all the lifting/reaching for things

I'll hit the gym tomorrow in between thesis writing though. Maybe go for a 10mile or 20 k bike.

Eek, sorry to hear you have to work over the holiday Good luck getting in the thesis writing AND the gym - I apologize if you already mentioned it, but what is your thesis on?

2009-04-10 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2076755

User image

Expert
Cambridge
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-10 8:34 PM

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 3:31 PM THIS weekend is a mostly write off. I'm working good friday, easter sunday and easter monday. (or rather i worked good friday, i've just got home)

Eek, sorry to hear you have to work over the holiday Good luck getting in the thesis writing AND the gym - I apologize if you already mentioned it, but what is your thesis on?

I do Electronic and Computer engineering, my thesis is on the use of FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Arrays) which simply put, basically are chips that you can program to act like other chips by programming it on a computer and uploading it to the chip.
Gym or bike ride is a good break for me. If i go for a bike ride it will be along the river and the park, but it was raining all day today so more likely to be a gym
2009-04-10 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Wurkit, i see you want to learn how to love cycling.
What you need to do is find a really beautiful bike ride that is really refreshing and go out there on a bike ride with a hot guy and just chill :P
theres a place near where i'm at uni, a nature reserve that you can just lie around and chill and its all good :P but you have to walk/cycle to get to it which  is all good. :P

2009-04-10 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2076817

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 3:57 PM Wurkit, i see you want to learn how to love cycling.
What you need to do is find a really beautiful bike ride that is really refreshing and go out there on a bike ride with a hot guy and just chill :P
theres a place near where i'm at uni, a nature reserve that you can just lie around and chill and its all good :P but you have to walk/cycle to get to it which  is all good. :P

Yeah, I like it all right when there's no one out there and there are no scary downhills or cars. Sadly, I don't know any hot guys that are slow like me All the hot ones are fast and I can't get good enough to catch them

2009-04-10 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2076831

User image

Expert
Cambridge
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-10 9:03 PM

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 3:57 PM Wurkit, i see you want to learn how to love cycling.

Yeah, I like it all right when there's no one out there and there are no scary downhills or cars. Sadly, I don't know any hot guys that are slow like me All the hot ones are fast and I can't get good enough to catch them

There are hot guys who arne't athletic :P Not that i look but there must be! I mean, there are hot girls who dont cycle :-)
2009-04-10 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2076933

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 4:49 PM

There are hot guys who arne't athletic :P Not that i look but there must be! I mean, there are hot girls who dont cycle :-)

True, though I like my men to be athletic Plus, if they're not athletic, how am I gonna find them out on the bike routes?!

2009-04-10 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2076937

User image

Expert
Cambridge
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-10 9:50 PM

True, though I like my men to be athletic Plus, if they're not athletic, how am I gonna find them out on the bike routes?!

Introduce them to it then , as per your intro at the start, it will be them struggling to keep up with you rather than the other way around xD

Anyway, whats on that t shirt your wearing? i saw it on the girls of bt thread but asn't sure what it said
2009-04-10 3:59 PM

User image

Hey all!  Happy Birthday!  & Congrats on the go ahead after surgery!!  I got to the pool twice today, once just fooling around with my boys, and wearing myself out carrying my huge 1 year old!!!  Then I went back to really work; I tried a few exercies to work on freestyle, mostly to try to get the feel for the kicking and the breathing; then I finished 600m breaststroke.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go for a long walk (remember I just walk!!)  and SUnday will be off for Easter!!  Church, then egg hunt, then brunch with our extended fam at our house!

Chrissy, what did you get your master's in?  I love the area of Virginia where you live - so pretty!! 

2009-04-10 4:00 PM
in reply to: #2076964

User image

Expert
Cambridge
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-10 9:59 PM

Hey all!  Happy Birthday!  & Congrats on the go ahead after surgery!!  I got to the pool twice today, once just fooling around with my boys, and wearing myself out carrying my huge 1 year old!!!  Then I went back to really work; I tried a few exercies to work on freestyle, mostly to try to get the feel for the kicking and the breathing; then I finished 600m breaststroke.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to go for a long walk (remember I just walk!!)  and SUnday will be off for Easter!!  Church, then egg hunt, then brunch with our extended fam at our house!

Chrissy, what did you get your master's in?  I love the area of Virginia where you live - so pretty!! 

Whos birthday is it? I clearly missed some posts !

HAPPY BIRTHDAY whoever it is :P
2009-04-10 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2076594

User image

Regular
"Today, I am taking off. It's my birthday, and I have a hot date. My husband is taking me to a movie. Is there anything good out? Tomorrow I am riding with some friends and doing a short run afterwards. I'm not sure about Sunday. Since it's Easter and the Y is closed."

Happy Birthday!!! Hope it's awesome!

2009-04-10 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Thanks for all the birthday wishes.

Chrissy, I totally understand about being slow on the bike. My husband is super fast, and drops me like it's nothing. Which is extremely frustrating. Now, I'm trying to find other friends that are slow but need the encouragement to workout to ride with. I feel like a super hero when they think I'm really fast. Cool
2009-04-10 6:58 PM

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
Just got back from my workout....45 minute bike ride - 14 miles.   I did some pullups afterward, but plan to do more strength traning tomorrow morning.  

Now its time to continue renovating my sun room at my house.  No rest for the weary.   Hope everyone is having a good night.

-Adam
2009-04-10 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2076954

SteveyD - 2009-04-10 4:55 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-10 9:50 PM

Introduce them to it then , as per your intro at the start, it will be them struggling to keep up with you rather than the other way around xD

Anyway, whats on that t shirt your wearing? i saw it on the girls of bt thread but asn't sure what it said
I am wearing one of my triathlon club's tech tees - the team is called Team Z (which it says on the front)- the back says "you never know unless you tri" - that's their little slogan. It's a really great club - I joined back in December and I love it so far. I needed some more structured coaching, etc to push my abilities a bit more. Training on my own was only getting me so far. Now that the weather is better, and it's light out longer, I hope to make more of the group bike rides (been going to track and group runs, and swims, and during the winter, our indoor trainer rides).

2009-04-10 9:46 PM
in reply to: #2076964

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-10 4:59 PM

Nice work with the drills - sometimes getting the breathing down makes a big difference.

I got my Masters in Literature. My undergrad degree is in Musical Theatre - I used to act/sing/dance. So Literature was the easiest thing to convince a grad program to let me do with my weirdo background I have no interest in teaching school, so currently I don't do anything related to either of my degrees (since I decided moving to NYC to become an actress (read: waitress/retail clerk) wasn't ideal anymore). But hopefully one of these days, I will be able to do something I like. The problem with arts-related organizations is they don't pay anything, and I'm single, so I can't afford to live on $20K a year, here in DC.

2009-04-10 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
My swim workout today was pretty rough. I decided that I needed to HTFU and start putting in some real work in if I was going to get better. So I ended up swimming for about an hour with only a few short breaks. It really helped me realize that sometimes I am holding myself back by not pushing. It was a good confidence boost, but I am pretty tired.

I am going to try and get a quick bike in tonight too.
2009-04-10 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2077513

JJackson07 - 2009-04-10 10:47 PM My swim workout today was pretty rough. I decided that I needed to HTFU and start putting in some real work in if I was going to get better. So I ended up swimming for about an hour with only a few short breaks. It really helped me realize that sometimes I am holding myself back by not pushing. It was a good confidence boost, but I am pretty tired. I am going to try and get a quick bike in tonight too.

Wow James, just saw the before and after pics in your mini profile view - what a long way you've come! Congrats!

Yes, HingTFU is good some times - glad you end up having a productive, if tiring, swim. Sometimes those are the best workouts, in hindsight.

2009-04-11 4:11 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
time to get htfu with my thesis to be honest. i'm going to try getting out this afternoon, who knows where. i'll cycle and see where the bike takes me
2009-04-11 8:05 AM

User image

Regular
Keep up the good work everyone!

Off to ride my bike outside first time this year.  I'll post later when I survive

2009-04-11 8:54 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Subject: morning/afternoon all

just back from gym here. did a bike ride then went and did intervals on the bike machine in the gym, coupled with a slow run (ok i take 25 minutes to do a mile and a half :P)

2009-04-11 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2077778

User image

New user

Universal City, Texas
Howdy everyone. 

I went to the gym this morning expecting to swim, but there was a class in the pool .  So I went on a 30 minute run around my neighborhood.  LOTS OF HILLS!  

Anyhow...I will try the pool again tomorrow. 

Everyone have a good weekend and keep up the good work.

-Adam
2009-04-11 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
I had a good time today at the 5k. I was pleased with how I did and met my goal of sub 10 minute miles, even though the course had a pretty decent hill in it. I filled out a quick race report.

I then went and took advantage of the nice weather and played tennis. I love that the weather is starting to act like it is supposed to this time of year.

How is everyone else's day going?
2009-04-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2077857

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
payneadam - 2009-04-11 7:36 AM

Howdy everyone. 

I went to the gym this morning expecting to swim, but there was a class in the pool .  So I went on a 30 minute run around my neighborhood.  LOTS OF HILLS!  

Anyhow...I will try the pool again tomorrow. 

Everyone have a good weekend and keep up the good work.

-Adam

That happened to me a lot my first year training at my pool. It took a while for me to get used to the schedules of classes and swim team practices that used up all or most of the lanes. I will still often call the pool if I am going to go at a different time than usual because I hate going there with the mindset of swimming and getting turned away.

Good job using your time wisely though with the run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29