BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-04-17 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2070143

New user

Central MO
Subject: RE: Prof40's group OPEN
casaubon-I sent you a PM about the swim deal.

On a good note, had a decent swim this morning, not long, not fast, but good for me 50's then catch my breath rather then 25s and catch
And to think I didnt even want to get outta bed at 430, I would have missed out on all this fun.
Going to ride tonight, trying to work up a little tonight maybe 12-14 miles then a mile walk or so.
Web Meetings, a little paperwork, then the weekend.

kris

2009-04-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2090052

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I attempt (as a general plan) to run two 40-45 minute (or so) intervals, one 15 minute off the bike treadmill run fast, and one long 70-90 minute run (that is long for me). It seems to be the long run that's hurting most, especially after five or six miles. It's probably that I'm trying to build my distance too fast because frankly, 13.1 miles seems so long and painful and scary that I feel I need to get built up to that distance quickly. It could also be the biking long one day, running the next. I had my road bike fitted, but I ride my mountain bike 90% of the time (not fitted) because it has been raining or snowing here this winter/spring and I only ride my nice road bike on nice days--which we don't have here until summer.

Here's a question: Any thoughts on stretching? I've read so many things I'm totally confused. Stretch before, don't stretch before, stretch during, etc. I grew up stretching before and never got injured. I was stretching before until a few weeks ago and felt fine. I've gone to stretching after because of reading about the dangers of stretching cold, but I seem to have more pain this way. I did an interval run at 6:00 AM in Napa, CA two weeks ago. I was on Spring Break. It was SUNNY. I didn't stretch and did about 4 minutes slow to warm up and stretch "naturally in the event I am going to be doing," but then I ran 35 minutes of intervals fairly hard. I then got in the car and drove to Arizona (14 hours). That may be the combination that did me in a bit--run hard, sit long. I was so excited to see sun and dry pavement I think I over did it, but though it got up to 75 F later, I think it was about 45 F when I ran. That may have been the day my hip pain started.

Edited by gplitt 2009-04-17 9:42 AM
2009-04-17 9:59 AM

New user

Downers Grove, IL

Hi, David!  If you are open to one more in the group, I'd love to join!

Name:  Nadine

Story:  I've always been athletic - mostly team sports like softball, basketball.  Several years ago I started running to help with weight loss and fitness.  I actually don't like running, but with the business travel schedule I used to have, it was really the only sport I could fit in just about anywhere.  Mostly just ran 5Ks and did the Shamrock Shuffle (8K) in 2006.  A knee issue slowed me down, and then I started playing softball instead.  Picked up cycling 3 years ago and have done several long distance rides (75+ miles).  A friend is really into tri and she got me thinking a few months ago that perhaps I could do a Sprint.  I needed a challenge and a new goal to focus on, so I thought I'd give this a try.

Status:  37 years old, 5' 9", 162 lbs, single, share my home with my rescued mutt Lucy

Current Training:  I've been using the basic 16 week Sprint Tri training plan from BT.  Going good so far - except for the cold/cough I'm fighting at the moment.  Took the wind right out of my sails.  Bike is my strength, swim is my weakness.  Run is just kinda there - pretty slow at the  moment.

2009 Races:  Groovin in the Grove 5K - May 9, Udder Century, Union, IL - June 7, Big Foot Sprint Sprint Tri, Lake Geneva, WI - June 28.  After I see how I manage in the first Sprint Tri, I'll see about doing more this season.

Goals:  For this first Sprint Tri, I'd just like to finish strong - not gasping for air as I cross the finish line. 

Weightloss:  I'll take it if it comes!  But I too like my bread, pasta and wine!

As I have told more and more people about my training and goals, I sometimes find myself wondering just what I got myself in to.  I'm nervous about the open water swim, and quite frankly, the whole race!  So, as the time gets closer, I'll be looking for tips, advice and LOTS of reassurance.  Laughing  Thanks!!

2009-04-17 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED

Hello, and a good Friday to all.

I've closed the group temporarily so I can see where we are at the moment. Everyone who has asked up to this point is in. I'll respond to everyone's posts over the weekend.

For those who have just joined, you have some catching up to do! Here's your homework: your 3 specific goals for the summer.

The sun is shining here, the sky is blue and without a cloud, and I'm at the office counting down the hours until I can get out for the day. I'm guessing I'm not the only person here waiting for the weekend.

And here's our group weekend assignment: pick any of our 3 disciplines, and go long. (So, new members-- you really have some work to do!)

"What is long?," you ask. Well, that's all relative to you. Long is longer than you've gone so far. So if the farthest you've run is 3 miles, I want you to try 3.3. If it's an 8 mile bike ride, go for 9. Try to just increase your distance by 10%, at a nice and easy pace. The goal is not to go fast, but to just "do."

And then I want you to report back here and tell us what you did and how you felt.

Have a great weekend!

2009-04-17 3:29 PM

Hey everybody,

I entered a couple runs in my log... can you guys see it? Or, do I need to set it to public somehow?

Thanks!

Jerry 
2009-04-17 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2092566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
cunninghamjerry - 2009-04-17 4:29 PM Hey everybody,

I entered a couple runs in my log... can you guys see it? Or, do I need to set it to public somehow?

Thanks!

Jerry 

Yep, your logs are public and can be seen! Nice runs!

2009-04-17 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2088969

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jpohlman - 2009-04-16 12:49 PM still taking applications? I am James. I am 27, married, no kids, work full-time, and go to law school at night. Last year I completed three sprint triathlons. This year is the year of the ODT and maybe end with a HIM. I generally average 4 hrs/wk right now, but will bump it up as the summer arrives. I like to talk tri and am interested in gaining other's insight. Best Regards, -James

You're in.

So, what olympic distance race are you contemplating? And what half-distance? Personally, I'm intrigued by the Miami Man in November. Something sounds great about heading to Miami for a weekend when its cold up north.

Sit down and pick your 3 goals and post them here so we can see them. And then, pick your sport and go long with it this weekend.

2009-04-18 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2089470

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-04-16 3:17 PM

Name: Greg

Story: I am a 40 year old Advanced Placement teacher (AP Gov/Pol and AP US History) and I volunteer as a youth pastor (70 hrs a week for both). I played baseball, football and basketball in high school, and a little college baseball. For 20 years I've been a recreational athlete at best. I am an outdoorsman, camping and working on our property (40 acres). A friend of mine is doing Ironman China Satuday. He runs a mission in the Philippines with his wife. They take girls out of abusive situations and the sex-slave industry and reabilitate them, school them and love them. He's raising money for his mission and talked me into doing a 1/2 iron to raise money, too. That's why I started. I've been training 7 weeks; I'm up to 10 hours a week, more or less. My 1/2 IM event is in Spokane, WA on August 2nd. The best thing about me tri-wise--I'm driven and dedicated. The worst, 20 years of limited exercise, and no swimming experience. On the positive side, I've gone from 100 meters to 2500 meters in the pool in 7 weeks and my best friend is the high school swim coach and was a college swimmer at UW.

Current training: 8-12 hrs a week; 3 swims, 3 bikes, 4 runs. I bike and/or run M,W,F,Sat and Swim T,TH, Sat. Not much BRICKing yet. I average 50 minutes in pool, 90 minute bikes, 60 minute runs.

This year's races: Cascade Edge Olympic, June 20, Trioka 1/2 Iron Aug 2, perhaps Grand Columbian 1/2 Iron, Sept 16. I'll probably throw in a Sprint and open water swim in May. We've had a wet, cold winter in the Northwest. I saw the sun today. It was last out in October (only a slight exageration).

Weightloss: I started at 6'2, 202, I'm 188 now, hoping to race at 180.

Married 17 years, High school sweetheart; one 8 yr. old daughter. 

Thanks. I hope I get in. I'm very alone in my training so far.  

We can't have you training alone, especially as you've dedicated your race to a charity. Which one did you choose? Or are you contributing to your friend's mission?

You've picked quite a race schedule for a first timer. For now, focus on your Olympic distance in June. You'll have plenty of time to increase your training for August. Most of triathlon is mind over body, and it sounds like you've got that aspect in control.
2009-04-18 5:09 AM
in reply to: #2089655

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-04-16 4:23 PM

Goals for this old man:
1). Finish a 1/2 IM, in under 6 hours if I can do it (August 2). My goal 6 weeks a go was finish--now it's under 6.

2). Not get injured. I'm dealing with lots of aches but no injuries so far.

3). Maintain everything else going on in life, especially my relationship with my wife and my job. This sport is getting addictive and expensive.

One question. As I've moved up to 7-9 mile runs, my left hip is hurting. I can get through it, but the pain lasts all day. Is this common? Am I overtraining? I'm training six days a week right now. My 1/2 is 16 weeks away, but that is all too close for me. I didn't have any pain when I was running 3-6 miles a time.

A thought on the Advil. I have a good friend who is a nurse who is always telling me to stop taking Advil as it is bad on the liver. I've taken it for 20 years as I get headaches a lot. He says for pain yes, but not more than a few times a week.

Nice goals. Funny how quickly you start considering race times, isn't it? I've already looked at some of last year's age group finish times for races I'm scheduled to do this summer to see how I might do.

Don't underestimate the body stress of a 1/2. On the other hand, don't let the total distance overwhelm you, either. It's 3 components, and you have time on the course to adjust for weather, aches, etc.

Your 3rd goal is a good one, too. Let me know how you do. If transitions are the fourth component of triathlon, time management is the fifth.

And ease up on the running for a week and see how your body feels. It's too early to get hurt.

2009-04-18 5:26 AM
in reply to: #2090494

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

boxer - 2009-04-16 11:04 PM David,
Thanks for doing this!
Seems like I'll be grandpa here! I'm Jaime 43 years old. Married and 2 kids. I've always been doing some sort of athletic activity. Played tennis for the last 7 years. Before that I did a bit of distance running.  Finally put on my running shoes this year again -love it! My knees hurt a little though    This year I've ran Tybee Island 5 mile, Hunter Army Air Field 10k and the Beaufort Twilight Run 5 mile.  (If I become king for a day ALL races will be in the evening!)
Also have been swiming about twice a week.  My kids 5 and 6 swim, so instead of playing with the blackberry decided to jump in the pool.  Doing about an hour -2000m- per session trying to get some endurance - the pool is still kicking my rear.
No kdding always wanted to start training for triathlon but ........................... excuses.
Now, tomorrow my first ever tri-bike arrives on the mail, a Cervelo P2 2008, and it feels like Christmas in April!!!  What I'm gonna do with it?????????  Have no idea yet!!!!!
Thought about going with the 2x balance training program, what do you think?
Goals....................
1. Start training for a triathlon........... almost there
2. Run my first spring (and many others)Triathlon safely and without embarrasing myself.  When? When ready. Savannah Sprint Series June 7h might be too soon.
3. Virginia Beach Rock 'n Roll half - New York 26.2

Question.
What kind of rides/training should I start doing on the bike? Should I join a group or go solo at my own pace?

Okay, I'm jealous. I love the look of the Cervelos. Never ridden one, but man, are they sleek machines. And you ask what are you going to do with it? Hmmm. Perhaps ride it down the driveway to get the mail, and then make a hard right and head out around the block.

How do you like clipping in?

Good call on putting down the Blackberry. Although I'm on the verge of succumbing to peer pressure and getting one.

The 2x balance program sounds like a wise decision. And June 7 is very do-able. I say you should go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen? You finish a race that most people wouldn't ever contemplate attempting?

Finally, as for riding, just get out there and do it. Group rides are fun, but for the first week or so, I'd focus on learning the feel of your bike. Just ride a bit and get used to aerobars and shifting and braking before you jump into a group of cyclists.

2009-04-18 5:29 AM
in reply to: #2090783

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
kris09 - 2009-04-17 7:58 AM casaubon-I sent you a PM about the swim deal.

On a good note, had a decent swim this morning, not long, not fast, but good for me 50's then catch my breath rather then 25s and catch
And to think I didnt even want to get outta bed at 430, I would have missed out on all this fun.
Going to ride tonight, trying to work up a little tonight maybe 12-14 miles then a mile walk or so.
Web Meetings, a little paperwork, then the weekend.

kris

Sounds like you had a great Friday. Nice job on the swim. Did you get that whiff of chlorine in your nose when you walked to the car post-swim? I love that. (And I bet a therapist would love to dig into why I love it, too.)

2009-04-18 5:39 AM
in reply to: #2091377

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boilermaker593 - 2009-04-17 10:59 AM

Hi, David!  If you are open to one more in the group, I'd love to join!

Name:  Nadine

Story:  I've always been athletic - mostly team sports like softball, basketball.  Several years ago I started running to help with weight loss and fitness.  I actually don't like running, but with the business travel schedule I used to have, it was really the only sport I could fit in just about anywhere.  Mostly just ran 5Ks and did the Shamrock Shuffle (8K) in 2006.  A knee issue slowed me down, and then I started playing softball instead.  Picked up cycling 3 years ago and have done several long distance rides (75+ miles).  A friend is really into tri and she got me thinking a few months ago that perhaps I could do a Sprint.  I needed a challenge and a new goal to focus on, so I thought I'd give this a try.

Status:  37 years old, 5' 9", 162 lbs, single, share my home with my rescued mutt Lucy

Current Training:  I've been using the basic 16 week Sprint Tri training plan from BT.  Going good so far - except for the cold/cough I'm fighting at the moment.  Took the wind right out of my sails.  Bike is my strength, swim is my weakness.  Run is just kinda there - pretty slow at the  moment.

2009 Races:  Groovin in the Grove 5K - May 9, Udder Century, Union, IL - June 7, Big Foot Sprint Sprint Tri, Lake Geneva, WI - June 28.  After I see how I manage in the first Sprint Tri, I'll see about doing more this season.

Goals:  For this first Sprint Tri, I'd just like to finish strong - not gasping for air as I cross the finish line. 

Weightloss:  I'll take it if it comes!  But I too like my bread, pasta and wine!

As I have told more and more people about my training and goals, I sometimes find myself wondering just what I got myself in to.  I'm nervous about the open water swim, and quite frankly, the whole race!  So, as the time gets closer, I'll be looking for tips, advice and LOTS of reassurance.  Laughing  Thanks!!

Wow, you have a serious race schedule, too.

How did I get so lucky to have such motivated members on my team?

The only way to get comfy in the water is to get into the water. Do you have a wetsuit? Is there a triathlon club where you live? It would be worth a google search to see if there are any group swims in your area so you can get a feel for the water.

And I hear you about having a cold. I picked one up on Wednesday and it's thrown me off my schedule, too.
2009-04-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2093476

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I'm donating all the funds I raise (I'm shooting for around $5000) to my friend who is racing Ironman China today for his work in the Philippines.  My race is August 2, Trioka, Spokane, WA 70.3. I'm leaving for the Philippines on Aug. 4 to take him the money and my race story. I think he raised more than $5000, so between the two of us we should be over $10,000 to buy basic protien and clean water and books for the girl's school/rehabilitation center (see my earlier post above if this is confusing).

The more I read, the more I think I should be careful to build a base, and probably I should have just aimed for an olympic for my first year at age 40, but I'm all in now. I'm doing a 1/2 (or perhaps two 1/2s) this year. Since I posted on Thursday morning I ran 8 miles thursday and three this morning. Followed by a 2000m swim (a weird brick I know, but the pool doesn't open until 7:00 and my daughter played soccer at 9:00). I actually feel better today--why hip didn't bug me at all.

So you asked us to push it today. I have a very busy day, but I ran 25 minutes and swam a 2000m this morning. I have an AP US History study session all day today, (AP tests are in two weeks and my students are cramming) and then I will bike tonight for 120 minutes. That's about all I can stay on the bike right now. My legs and lungs are fine, but my butt hurts for days after a 2 hour ride. I think sitting on a bike seat has been the hardest part of triathlon for me. I think I have a great seat, and it is (I think) my sit bones/area that hurts, so I think I just need to deal with it and build up. Any thoughts? Also, any response to my previous stretching question? 

I appreciate this forum. It's the only forum I've ever participated in, and all your thoughts are appreciated. I really am new at all three disciplines, and I have a swim coach friend that can help me a little, but nobody else so far. Generally speaking, I train from 5-7 AM and I find few people around here who want to join me.  

As to my goal three--being a good husband, teacher and pastor--I cannot fail in this. I have an amazing wife of 17 years. We've had about 3 little disagreements over that time, and we never fight. This has been the first thing that has put a bit of a strain on our relationship. It's one of the first things I've done without her. So far, things are not bad, but I'm less available for about 12 hours a week, and she is picking up the slack, especially with raising our daughter, doing laundry, etc..  Also, it's hard to be a good husband/ dad when I'm tired and sore a lot during non-training times. So, I think a good piece of advice for all of us in relationships is to work just as hard at our relationships as we do at our triathlon. My wife and I have had date night every Saturday night for 17 years. We will again tonight. My fourth event is to not just "keep my wife happy so I can do what training I want," but making sure I don't spend myself so much on everything else that I have nothing left for her. If I don't get my bike in today--I don't get it in.

I didn't mean for this to get so long--I'll try to be much more concise in the future. I'm just so happy to "talk" to people who share the same goals and passions. Most of my friends are looking at me like I'm a crazy idiot for trying this.

By the way--this is a reply to prof40, but I don't know how to make it show up as such. I'm still trying to get into the 21st century. I don't know how to log my workouts on the site, either.

Edited by gplitt 2009-04-18 2:22 PM
2009-04-18 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2093951

gplitt - 2009-04-18 2:21 PM I'm donating all the funds I raise (I'm shooting for around $5000) to my friend who is racing Ironman China today for his work in the Philippines. [snip]

I'm doing a 1/2 (or perhaps two 1/2s) this year.
[snip]

My legs and lungs are fine, but my butt hurts for days after a 2 hour ride. I think sitting on a bike seat has been the hardest part of triathlon for me. I think I have a great seat, and it is (I think) my sit bones/area that hurts, so I think I just need to deal with it and build up.

Hey gplitt -

1) You're raising that much cash for a good cause? That's awesome.

2) If I read this right, your first tri will be a HIM? That is just too cool if you ask me. Go for it. Good luck! I thought about a "HIM light" (1 mile swim/ 40 bike/ 9.3 run) next month but I wimped out!

I rode a hilly 25 today and was pretty hurting afterwards, so now I'm wondering about the Oly I signed up for in Sept!

3) You have bike shorts right? (Silly question, but they help a lot...)

Go for it, man. Don't look back.

Jerry
2009-04-18 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2094716

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
cunninghamjerry - 2009-04-18 10:19 PM
gplitt - 2009-04-18 2:21 PM I'm donating all the funds I raise (I'm shooting for around $5000) to my friend who is racing Ironman China today for his work in the Philippines. [snip]

I'm doing a 1/2 (or perhaps two 1/2s) this year.
[snip]

My legs and lungs are fine, but my butt hurts for days after a 2 hour ride. I think sitting on a bike seat has been the hardest part of triathlon for me. I think I have a great seat, and it is (I think) my sit bones/area that hurts, so I think I just need to deal with it and build up.

Hey gplitt -

1) You're raising that much cash for a good cause? That's awesome.

2) If I read this right, your first tri will be a HIM? That is just too cool if you ask me. Go for it. Good luck! I thought about a "HIM light" (1 mile swim/ 40 bike/ 9.3 run) next month but I wimped out!

I rode a hilly 25 today and was pretty hurting afterwards, so now I'm wondering about the Oly I signed up for in Sept!

3) You have bike shorts right? (Silly question, but they help a lot...)

Go for it, man. Don't look back.

Jerry

Glad to know I wasn't the only one having the pain from the seat...lol.  But I am testing out an ISM Adamo seat (with the split nose)  man that thing is a real butt saver.  No pain at all afterwards.
2009-04-19 5:10 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia

When I first started riding, I had seat issues, but then I splurged for a bike fitting. It took a few hours to do, but since then, no problems.

Of course, you're also using different muscles, and you're perched on that tiny little seat, and you're doing some big riding. Everything is going to hurt a little.

Keep riding and adjusting. And watch for numbness!

As for stretching, I don't do it. I know I should, but I don't, other than a few quick pulls and shakes and off I go. However, I do try to make 2 yoga classes a week, which have led to some drastic improvement in flexibility.

What does everyone else think re: stretching? Before you go out? After you get in? During? All 3?

This morning, I'm off to do my long run -- remember the group goal? go long? -- and then hopefully a short ride later today to stretch the legs a little. How's our group doing? Good workouts this weekend? 

2009-04-19 9:45 AM

Well, did two of my longest efforts. Friday morning I completed my first shot at week two of the 0 to 1650 swim plan. I kind of blew myself away with this effort actually. I've been making small progress with my technique and this week I made big strides. It was the first time I've swum 200 yards straight, the first time I've swum 900 yards in a session and the fastest I've swum as well (although obviously still exceedingly slow). It was in a 20 yd pool, so it felt a bit like cheating, but tbh, I felt so good I know the 5 yards didn't matter. Great way to start the morning.

This morning, I just did a 40 min long run at 9:30/min. Felt good (despite being 45 and raining). My right knee has been a little achy the last week, so I've started extra strength and stretching this week, and no troubles at all on the road today. :30/mi faster than last weekend and 5 more minutes. Felt really good to feel that strong going into a cutback week.

As for stretching, I never stretch before. I had a physical therapist lecture me once about stretching cold muscles, so I just walk for a few minutes, do a few hops, shake a bit and get running. I always do about 10 minutes of stretching after running or biking (never feel the need after swimming, strangely), and my wife and I are going to start yoga this week. I've done it before when training for half-marathons, it's a huge help.

Hope everyone had a great weekend too!
2009-04-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2093487

New user

Downers Grove, IL
Wetsuit is something I  need to get soon so that I can get some practice in with it.  Any suggestions about what to look for when buying one?

There's a tri clothing store nearby that I thought I'd stop by to see if there are any local clubs.  I know there are some in the city (Chicago), but I'm out in the suburbs, so unless it's a weekend group, it's hard for me to get out there during the week with work.

2009-04-19 11:30 AM

New user

Downers Grove, IL

Wow - all of you are so inspirational with your dedication and workouts!  I keep reminding myself that everyone was once a complete beginner like me, so not to worry.  Slow and steady, right?

Ok - to catch up.....my three summer goals:
1)  maintain a consistent training schedule that includes weight training (when schedules conflict, I tend to let the strength training go.  Can't afford to do that anymore.  Must get that in at least 2x per week)
2) complete my first ever Sprint Tri in June!
3) Increase lean body mass by xx% (I'm in the process of switching gyms to one with a pool.  I need to do a baseline on my body mass to give myself an appropriate goal)

As for this weekend's go long....the cold is getting better.  I got outside on my bike for the first time this season.  Yep - forgot about how much the wind affects you.  It was slower than I wanted, but I did get in 9 miles before my nose was running waaay too much and the cough kept coming back.  Next weekend is supposed to be beautiful, so a much longer ride is in store (and this pesky cold should be gone by then or else!)

So, how do you all handle setbacks in training like colds?  Do you just do lighter sessions? What do you do when your body just wants to sleep?

2009-04-19 11:36 AM

User image

Regular
Yesterday went well, but I was SUPER tired.  Long group ride in the morning, and then a pretty good swim in the afternoon.  Does the bike ride count as me going long?  

I have a question for the group... the last couple weeks I've been running on Friday and Sunday, around my Long Bike/Swim day.  I think i was just being mean to myself.  Does taking Sunday off, and running on Monday make more sense?  this will only matter for another couple weeks, since I start a different schedule in May.

2009-04-19 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2095231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
boilermaker593 - 2009-04-19 12:30 PM

So, how do you all handle setbacks in training like colds?  Do you just do lighter sessions? What do you do when your body just wants to sleep?

I've been lucky to not get sick yet since I started training in March 2008, but if I do too intense training for 3-4 weeks straight, in the 5th week I feel the need to sleep ALL the time. I continue training throughout that week of exhaustion (either as intense but less often, or less intense but same amount). I also make sure I sleep excessive amounts (10hrs a night, and 1 nap a day). Unless you're so sick you can't move, I think it's important to just keep at it, and keep training; even if you're walking a 5k rather than running a 10k.

2009-04-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2095235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
mck35 - 2009-04-19 12:36 PM

I have a question for the group... the last couple weeks I've been running on Friday and Sunday, around my Long Bike/Swim day.  I think i was just being mean to myself.  Does taking Sunday off, and running on Monday make more sense?  this will only matter for another couple weeks, since I start a different schedule in May.

I think running on Monday makes way more sense. What I find is that I'm more deeply exhausted after a long bike ride, and don't perform nearly as well in runs if they are less than 24 hours later. Try it out! Triathlon training is all about experimenting and finding out the best, most efficient way of training and still having fun!!
2009-04-19 3:33 PM

Somebody was asking about wetsuits... XTerra is having a "50% off" sale; ends 4/21:

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/shop-xterra/index.php?cPath=21

I ordered one last week.

2009-04-19 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Now here's a question. Are wetsuit booties allowed in triathlons? Last year, I found myself not being cold at all in the water, EXCEPT for my hands and feet, which were ready to fall off. I've got very poor circulation b/c I am borderline anemic, so to hear they are allowed would be a godsend!

If you don't know what they are, here's a picture: http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=13289&...
2009-04-19 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2095774

User image

Regular
krystyna47 - 2009-04-19 6:19 PM Now here's a question. Are wetsuit booties allowed in triathlons? Last year, I found myself not being cold at all in the water, EXCEPT for my hands and feet, which were ready to fall off. I've got very poor circulation b/c I am borderline anemic, so to hear they are allowed would be a godsend!

If you don't know what they are, here's a picture: http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=13289&... />

It doesn't look like it...

4.9 Illegal Equipment. Any swimmer wearing any artificial propulsion device, including but not limited to fins, gloves, paddles, or floating devices of any kind shall be disqualified.

That's from the USAT rules, so if gloves aren't allowed, I'd be surprised if booties are allowed.  The rules go on to say that individual races may have their own restrictions, so you might want to check with your races beforehand :)

I think that's gonna be the worst when I finally start OWS training this summer, hoping I don't lose any fingers or toes...

Edited by mck35 2009-04-19 6:54 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18