BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-21 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2075032

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full...

I’m enrolled in a Swimming for Triathlon class and last night was the first class.  When I got there I found out that there are only 3 of us signed up and last night, one didn’t show up.  That means a 90 min. semi-private lesson.  Super cool!  He had us start with a few laps, then gave form pointers.  I learned that I need to keep my elbows higher and not swing my arms out as much.  He also told me that my hand should enter the water at about a 45* angle.  I was swimming with a much smaller angle.  Then we did some drills to break down swim technique. 

This is where it fell apart.  The Overload Drill was first and it involves a 3 second delay just as the hand is about to enter the water.  That was tough.  I couldn’t figure out when to breathe.  After that, we did the Catch-up Drill, where you don’t start the pull until both hands are straight out in front of your head.  That one works on the underwater pull.  Then we did what he called 3-6 Drill.  This is the one from TI that has you on your side and kick for 6 beats, then roll, pull and kick again. 

Next was flip turns.  I don’t do flip turns.  Never saw the need.  Well, now I’m doing them.  Kind of.  Last we worked on breast stroke a bit; I hate that stroke.  But I put together a few passable lengths.  Since I didn’t feel like I swam a lot last night, I went back today to practice a bit.  It felt pretty good and I even did a few really good flip turns.  Swimming is a lot better when you have a plan and drills to do. 

Sorry about the long rambling post.   Just oversharing…  as usual.  J

2009-04-21 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2100900

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
My first half-mary is in 10 days!  I WAS running 6 miles, 3x /week, but my calf has been complaining, so it's closer to twice a week if I'm lucky.  (I'm not very lucky, lately)

I only started running in August, and so far, I've only participated in 5k races.  I really didn't decide to do it until probably November, so most of my running has been out in the cold, so far.

I picked up a training plan off of nike.com (I bought nike+ shoes and have a little do-hickey that hooks up to my ipod, and it will kinda track distances, based on a sensor you put in your shoe).  I think it was a 12 week plan.

I think you have plenty of time... just TAKE YOUR TIME building your endurance, and don't hurt your legs
2009-04-22 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2101572

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
About the swimming training and whatnot.  I invested in the TriSwimCoach DVD (and other miscellany).  I come from a swimming background, so I'm fairly comfortable in the water, but even so, there are different "strategies" and techniques when swimming in open water (in a triathlon) vs. swimming in a pool.

I'd recommend taking a look.  (I know there are ads on BT for it)

Also, I've started to NOT do flip-turns when training.  I'm not going to have flip-turns in the events I'm participating in (or a wall, for that matter), so I'm not practicing them.   
Really, I should stop pushing off the wall and gliding as much as I do, too , but I can't seem to break that habit.

I've heard that a good thing to think about and practice is bi-lateral breathing.  You get to "see" what's on either side of you, and your body doesn't get all lop-sided from breathing only on the one side.
2009-04-22 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
I swam last night for the first time in about 3 weeks... boy did I feel it! I only managed to do 800 meters, and I was DONE! My goal was 1000... I'm just glad I did something!

I found out that indeed I signed up to swim in the Corporate Challenge swim meet! what was I thinking???  I'll be looking for a swim coach SOON... I need to get FASTER!!! AND, I may need to learn flip-turns... I never did those in my life!  At least I have new motivation!!!

Today I have Pilates at Physical Therapy again... then tomorrow I'll be back in the pool. I figure 3-4 days/week swimming + 3 days Pilates... I hope that's enough...
2009-04-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2102348

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
ethompson - 2009-04-22 9:33 AM About the swimming training and whatnot.  I invested in the TriSwimCoach DVD (and other miscellany).  I come from a swimming background, so I'm fairly comfortable in the water, but even so, there are different "strategies" and techniques when swimming in open water (in a triathlon) vs. swimming in a pool.

I'd recommend taking a look.  (I know there are ads on BT for it)

Also, I've started to NOT do flip-turns when training.  I'm not going to have flip-turns in the events I'm participating in (or a wall, for that matter), so I'm not practicing them.   
Really, I should stop pushing off the wall and gliding as much as I do, too , but I can't seem to break that habit.

I've heard that a good thing to think about and practice is bi-lateral breathing.  You get to "see" what's on either side of you, and your body doesn't get all lop-sided from breathing only on the one side.

I too come from a swimming background and have recently removed flip turns from my swims and am trying not to streamline or push off the wall as much.  Its hard because it is so ingrained into the way that I swim.  I try to breathe to both sides and continue to practice it as I do my long sets because I know that as I get tired I tend to forget about my right arm and breathing to the right side.
2009-04-22 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2102382

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
There is an article in the beginners section on this site re: doing flip-turns even though you won't do them in the open water....I can't remember the reason now, but it's a good article. Sorry, not very helpful. Hopefully I will get back in teh pool today...not feeling great, but I will press on. I found a 500m workout for newbies on BT with drills to do in 25m and 50m lengths. The pool at UWO has long course and short course depending on the time of day.

Bilateral breathing - OMG!!!...I think I may drown...

Erik - are you finding the DVD useful? It would be easier if you could watch it at the pool, eh?...LOL

2009-04-22 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2102957

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
dermoski - 2009-04-22 1:58 PM  Erik - are you finding the DVD useful? It would be easier if you could watch it at the pool, eh?...LOL

haha... perhaps if you feel lucky enough to have a laptop survive on the pool deck, you might be able to watch it there.

It HAS been nice to see the drills in action.  I've started to really lengthen my stroke, and get my swimming into DISTANCE (survival) mode... that's where the bi-lateral breathing comes in, better kicking (not necessarily MORE kicking, though), better balance in the water... all sorts of stuff that is kinda difficult to describe on paper. 

Here's the link I got from BT:  http://www.triswimcoach.com/

I SHOULD probably do some more drills, now that we've brought the subject up... 
2009-04-23 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2100058

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
lduperry - 2009-04-21 1:24 PM stuff comes up (like my current chest cold that's preventing me from breathing).  I am also too competitive, and disappointed with where my fitness is now compared to where it was, so I get discouraged easily.  That also disappoints me since I never used to quit on myself...

Chest cold thingie:  You might want to TRY to run even with the chest cold.  It might sound a little crazy, but I found (in the winter) that my head/chest congestion cleared up (for the duration of the run), even when running outside.  Sure, it came back after I got back inside and cooled down (warmed up), but was perfectly fine during.

Don't worry about where your fitness level is NOW.  Worry about where you are taking your fitness level tomorrow (and the next day).  We didn't start out with super-fitness when we were young.  It was gradual... we just didn't notice.  Plus, if getting to where we want to be, physically, were easy, we'd get bored and go find something difficult to try for. 

Maybe instead of just having a SINGLE goal of 'fitness level where it was'... make that your BIG goal, and make several smaller goals that will step-ladder you to the BIGGIE.  Then you can still meet goals while working toward your major goal.

One more thing...   Since I'm pseudo-critiquing your post (don't be mad)... If I get to vote, my vote is for 'You haven't quit on yourself... you're still here, and you're still doing it... feel free to smile about that'.  You CAN do this.

Sorry... I didn't notice that I'd gotten on a soapbox. 

NOTE:  this is all opinion, and please do not round-house kick me into a wall, or something.  Feel free to /ignore me   (wife and kids do, all the time)
2009-04-24 3:32 AM

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Hi everyone! 
I am nearing the end of an on call shift at the hospital...a few more hours and then I get to sleep!  I have a long ride (1hr and 17 minutes) on tap for today...but maybe I will run instead as we are planning on taking the bikes out on Saturday...Oh why are decisions so hard.  I have decided that I am going to train for a half marathon!  I don't however think I can do it justice and be ready in September.  I am going to try to find one a little later (plus it gives me an excuse for a mini vacation )
2009-04-24 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2107215

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
kromanowski - 2009-04-24 4:32 AM Hi everyone! 
I have decided that I am going to train for a half marathon!  I don't however think I can do it justice and be ready in September.  I am going to try to find one a little later (plus it gives me an excuse for a mini vacation )

I think you'll find the challenge of the half-mary rewarding.  I'm still nervous as hell about mine (1 week away). 
2009-04-24 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
FLIP TURNS -

Hi folks... I did a little bit of digging, and found this little tidbit somewhere in one of the beginner articles (maybe Katie first pointed this out?)

[jknapman] TSC: Is it really necessary to do flip-turns when tri-training in a pool? I did them all the time over the winter with the swim team but I always thought that it expended a lot of energy so I've gone back to not doing them.

[Tri Swim Coach] It's not necessary, but it will help. Not doing flip turns means you get a nice long break at the wall - and your flow is disrupted. Learning to flip will actually help improve endurance and will be that much closer to actual open water swimming.

Looks like flip turns are back on the menu!

2009-04-24 10:50 AM

As for motivation, this week was tough.  Work is really busy and I ended up leaving too late to do much other than eat and sleep.  I did take the long way home on Tuesday because the weather was so nice, but my plans to swim the last 2 nights didn't come to fruition.

Thanks, kronkowski for the inspire re: biking to work.  May is bike to work month and we have a great program here in Seattle.  It has always motivated me a ton.

Today I am going to take my bike up to the tulip festival.  I don't think I will be going fast, but I hope to put in more miles than I have in the past few weeks and enjoy the pretty scenery.  The sun is shining too, that helps my motivation to run or bike (but not swim).

Also, if it helps anyone with their motivation, check out my blog.
http://tritrying.wordpress.com/

I made my training log not private if anyone wants to check it out.  I will try to check out some of yours too.
-Katherine
2009-04-26 8:00 AM

New user

Cheshire, CT
The weather in CT has been awesome this weekend!  Took the dog jogging this morning - took Erik's advice and ran through the chest congestion.  I did have to cut out the biggest hill on my route, but other than that it went pretty well.  Thanks!   Also missed my Taekwondo class yesterday because the stupid car dealer is having trouble fixing the problem with my car and they seem to enjoy stringing me along.  I did practice that for a bit though, so that was quite a workout.  It's getting close to the time of year where we often do belt promotions, so I'm hoping to get on that promotion list!  Ok - off to do my core workout...I hope everyone's enjoying the weekend!  Oh, next week could be crazy for me as I have a software upgrade Tuesday from 3-6 am and then I go on call Wednesday for a week - it'll be my first on call shift, so it could be ok or it could mean pretty much no sleep for a week...wish me luck!!
2009-04-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2110747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
The weather here has been very warm - way above seasonal. Last night we had a wicked thunderstorm with 100kph winds...no damage that I can see, but everything is soooo green this morning - it's beautiful..and there's that spring smell in the air. Going on a 5k walk for cancer today...canoed yesterday, baseball on Friday...very busy this weekend.

Thanks Erik for looking up that article - that is the one I was referring to (to which I was referring). I blog like I speak...LOL...My profs won't be reading this, so it's okay...

Hope everyone else had a productive weekend...try to get some sleep Lisa!
2009-04-26 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2107899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Did you enjoy the tulip festival Katherine? That sounds nice. I have family on Vancouver Island and there is always a "count the blooms" thingy early in the year with all the flowers...very pretty
2009-04-26 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Hope you all had a great weekend!  I'm seriously jealous of you guys in warm places.  Our weather has turned to crap in the last 3 days.  Grrr.  I had my first race of the year today, a short duathlon.  You can read all the gory details in my race report.  Tons of fun. 
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=156301&posts=1&start=1

2009-04-26 10:26 PM
in reply to: #2111650

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Yuck...sounds like you had horrible weather for the race...but you got the first one of the year under your belt...it can only get better, right? : )
2009-04-27 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Sounds like you raced in the same weather we had, Pattie.  But I wasn't racing... or out in it.  Kudos to you for seeing it through (if that's any consolation
2009-04-27 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Pattie- Sounds like a yucky race!  Nice job getting through it!

Happy Monday everyone!  Got caught in a downpour on Saturday while running, but it was actually fun because it was a warm rain.  Hope everyone had a great weekend training!
2009-04-27 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2112433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
It's a lovely Monday here - aside from having to work on such a gorgeous day - 80 degrees (with humitidy will feel like 88). Where's the beach? We don't usually see these temps until July....c'mon 4:30! My family is awaiting the arrival of a baby boy (not mine obviously)...could be today...if not I'll be outside.
2009-04-28 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Ran last night... overly warm and humid.  I was kinda wishing for a little bit of rain, just to cool off a bit.

I didn't run with my ipod this time, since they aren't allowing them during the half marathon.  I wanted to get used to the soothing sounds of slapping feet.

So... while my mind had all sorts of things to actually *THINK* about instead of just getting absorbed in some music... I began wondering how others might prefer training.

How do you prefer to train?
Swim - pool, open water, endless pool?... wetsuit or not?  Other?
Bike - trainer, spinning class, out on the road? Other?  Tri bike, road bike, hybrid, mountain, dirt? 
Run - treadmill, on the road, other?

SWIM:  I prefer to swim in a pool, but I'm not against open water... it's just a million times easier to find a pool nearby, plus I don't currently own a wetsuit, so the current lake water temps also keep me in the pool... I might be crazy, but I'm not CRAZY!

BIKE:  I have a hybrid bike that probably needs tuning, and I've yet to find a decent course to ride for distance outside, so I've been on my trainer for the most part.    I hope to remedy that in the near future, and get out on the road.

RUN:  Last but not fast, I prefer to run outside.  Even in the winter.  I get too overheated if I run indoors.  I never would have guessed that my preference would be to unleash the ungodly image of me running on innocent eyeballs, but I usually run later in the evening, so damage should be minimal.    The kids are in bed, and the house is settled, usually.

2009-04-28 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2114866

User image

Expert
Excellent question, Erik! 

Swim-  I have the same problem finding a good OWS location.  That "Land of 10,000 Lakes" nonsense doesn't really work in my favor.  Most of the lakes are up north and the ones down here are kind of small and dirty.  I'm stuck in an indoor pool.  I prefer OW, but it's just not practical.

Bike-  Open roads!  I live in the country and have access to lovely low-traffic roads just out the door.  Of course the weather keeps me inside 6 months of the year. 

Run-  Outside!  I'll run in the cold almost all winter.  When it gets much below zero, I bring it inside.  A lot of the time, it's a matter of fading daylight rather than temps that forces me inside.  Then it's either the track at the gym or the treadmill.  Or a combination of both for sanity's sake. 
2009-04-28 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2115501

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Pool all the way...partly because the water temp is too cold until summer and, even in the summer I have a weird creepy-things-at-the-bottom-of-the-lake-will-pull-me-under kind of thing happening...Loc Ness' little brother or the seawee monster. There aren't fresh water sharks are there?!?...LOL... no sharks - Lake Erie is where I would swim...and will have to once or twice before the big day. My actual tri swim will be in a small shallow lake, which will be FAR easier for me to deal with than Lake Erie. If I can still see water on the horizon, it's too big....

RUN - I love to run on the bike path along the river, but I'm a wuss for rain and cold, so treadmill at the gym while watching TV comes in handy

BIKE - I don't have one yet!!...I haven't ridden a bike for nearly a year, when I used my old Miele for commuting to work - about 8-9K per day. It got stolen (rotten little...) I guess I should at least start spin classes until I can purchase some old garage sale find...

The local bike shop does a 50-60K group ride frequently on the county roads just outside the city...I'd like to do a group ride once before my tri just to get used to all the people around me and not drafting and tipping over in the melee (maybe just 20 or 30K, though...: )
2009-04-28 4:11 PM

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Swim - Well since I started as a swimmer and most teams do most of their swimming in a pool vs. OWS I guess I prefer the pool (as a doctor it just seems cleaner too)  but I am not opposed to OWS...its just not my favorite...doesn't quite feel right

Run- I like to run outside...but I like that the treadmill exists for the cold Chicago winters where the sun sets at noon (ok fine thats a mild exageration ) and I like the treadmill so I can test my speed without fearing not being able to make it home.

Bike - I have an unusual obcession with my trainer...but that is  because I am afraid to ride my bike outside the clipless pedals in combination with the tourists who walk 10 across on the main place I have to ride only enhance this fear.  I will one day get used to it and if I had nice open roads to ride on I am sure I would love it  
2009-04-28 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2116569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
I was checking out everyone else's training logs, and I have to say, I feel my level of fitness is pretty low comparatively...However, I'm inspired by seeing what can be acomplished...thanks guys for your input and encouragement.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full... Rss Feed  

of 10