BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-04-25 11:59 PM
in reply to: #2109926

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - CLOSED
kvesey - 2009-04-25 2:10 PM

Great advice, so I will starting working in more sprints and intervals.  I think I will do this on my shorter workouts.  I have just been concerned with building my distance, especially on the run.  Seems like the more I run the more sluggish I feel.

Hmm...the more you run, the more sluggish you feel? Do you mean, the more days a week you run, the more volume, or the more miles in a single run? And by sluggish, what do you mean? Legs start to give out? Breathing is labored? Or just plain tired?

Hopefully, we can figure out some strategies that will help you move beyond the sluggishness.

Karen

What I mean is it seems as though I have hit a wall.  When I first started running, I was making progress by leaps and bounds until I built up to about 5-6 miles.  Now I just feel like I have weights around my legs after about the 3 mile mark.  My breathing is good, I feel relaxed and everything is smooth and at three miles, that monkey crawls on my back and my lower back gets really tight, my legs get heavy and I feel like my form goes to crap.  I can endure and push through but with each passing run, it seems to happen sooner and sooner.  I do have some good days though, where I feel like I could run forever.  Let me say this also, when I first started running I was happy with a 13 min mile.... they are now down to 10, sometime 9:30, so I may be pushing my pace a little too hard.

I really think this has more to do with my nutrition than with my cardio or my strength.  I have been looking for a sports nutritionist to help out but can't seems to find one locally.  I have a very clean, healthy diet, with low fat dairy, whole grains, fruits and veggies and eat 6 smaller meals a day with usually a Powerbar or something about an hour before my workout.

2009-04-26 12:04 AM
in reply to: #2109921

User image

Prattville
Subject: RE: Nutrition help
What is Endurox?  I'm interested in nutrition because I'm trying to lose some weight in addition to training for the 1/2, but I'm not that knowledgeable about different nutritional supplements, shakes, etc.  As such, I generally just eat a turkey sandwich after a long workout (strong stomach comes with flying fighters).  Also, when should I start taking in calories during a workout.  I've never done anything more than a sprint, so I'm curious about the nutrition aspect of the longer races.  Thanks

Cory 
2009-04-26 12:05 AM
in reply to: #2110025

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-04-25 3:24 PM

So, as I was sitting here sniffling and feeling sorry for myself because I can't work out this weekend, I thought it might be a good topic to make a quick post about...Dealing with Being Sick.

A week ago, I woke up with a scratchy throat, but otherwise, felt fine. Ran a race in the morning and felt great. The next day, the scratchy throat was no worse, but I felt kind of headachy and fatigued. Took a nap. Didn't work out. By Monday, I was feeling pretty whooped, and the scratchy throat was starting to develop into a cough, but I went for a run after work, and that seemed to be the tipping point. Since then, I've been pretty sick with bronchitis or the flu or something that is just kicking my a$$. I have not put on my running shoes or sat on the bike or jumped in the pool since Monday. And it's so hard.

So, what are the rules of thumb for when you're sick? When do you train? When do you not train? I have found that if I only have a head cold and no fever that I can work out just fine (I'm usually just snotty). I will ease up on intensity and distance. I don't want to push my system over the edge, but I have found that a quick run will often help me feel better for a little while. Did you know that exercise is a natural antihistamine?

On the other hand, if I've got chest congestion or a cough or a fever, I will usually not work out. I probably should not have run on Monday. My experience has been that it almost always makes me feel worse.

The reason I think I may have had the flu (I rarely go to the doctor...I have to be really sick or injured) is it's taking an awful long time for the general feeling of malaise to leave my body. As long as I don't move, I actually feel okay. Once I move around, I start feeling pretty rotten again. As much as I would like to try a run or swim or ride, I know that, one, I won't be able to get through it, and, two, it just may make me worse.

I think as athletes, managing and recovering from illness or injury is often harder than the actual training we do. I don't know about you, but I get so worried about lost fitness.

What do you guys do to cope with illness or injury that won't let you train?

I rarely get sick; however, at the first sign of illness (scratchy throat, achy shoulders) I have found that a quick trip to the doc for a shot of rocephin, decadron and B12 will knock the illness out before it ever has a chance to get that bad.  In January I waited too long and ended up with a 104.5 temp, went to the doc, got my shots and 2 days later I was training again.  I have considered regular shots of B12 just for therapuetic purposes to keep my immune system on high alert, plus the extra energy is good too.
2009-04-26 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2110025

User image

Veteran
Barrington
kvesey - 2009-04-25 3:24 PM

What do you guys do to cope with illness or injury that won't let you train?

Karin,

I agree that not training because of illness/injury (or my case kids)....is almost more difficult than the actual training.  Because mental frustration can set in.  Which is never a good thing.  I don't really have much to add to your comments other than that I agree completely.  Pushing through a workout when I have the sniffles always seems to help, but once fatigue sets in from illness or pain from injury, you just have to ease up and in some cases stop.

I've had some issues with tendinitis in my knee and I've noticed that whenever become to laxed with my stretching routine the aches come back.  So for me, I need to stay consistent with my nutrition and stretching to keep myself healthy all around.

I also take Juice Plus on a regular basis as a preventative measure.  It's an easy way to add more nutrition from fresh raw fruits and vegetables in a capsule. 

2009-04-27 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2110617

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

What I mean is it seems as though I have hit a wall.  When I first started running, I was making progress by leaps and bounds until I built up to about 5-6 miles.  Now I just feel like I have weights around my legs after about the 3 mile mark.  My breathing is good, I feel relaxed and everything is smooth and at three miles, that monkey crawls on my back and my lower back gets really tight, my legs get heavy and I feel like my form goes to crap.  I can endure and push through but with each passing run, it seems to happen sooner and sooner.  I do have some good days though, where I feel like I could run forever.  Let me say this also, when I first started running I was happy with a 13 min mile.... they are now down to 10, sometime 9:30, so I may be pushing my pace a little too hard.

I really think this has more to do with my nutrition than with my cardio or my strength.  I have been looking for a sports nutritionist to help out but can't seems to find one locally.  I have a very clean, healthy diet, with low fat dairy, whole grains, fruits and veggies and eat 6 smaller meals a day with usually a Powerbar or something about an hour before my workout.

I'm not sure I agree that nutrition has anything to do with it. You're not really running the kinds of distances that should make it an issue, especially since you already have a very good diet (at least, it sounds like it). You may want to try backing up your pre workout meal to 2-3 hours before the workout and then take a gel (or something like that) about 10-15 minutes before starting.

I have two ideas to consider:

(1) Do you run with a heart run monitor? As you noted, your speed has increased quite a bit. It's possible that you are pushing the pace too soon in the workout and getting your heart rate up to that lactate threshold level that you can only maintain for a short period. If you have a heart rate monitor, try doing your longer runs completely in zone 2, low zone 3 at the highest (like going uphill). It will be frustratingly slow feeling at first, but you should be able to run longer without the dead feeling, and you will actually find that you start running faster at lower heart rates, which means you are becoming more efficient, and then you can start pushing the pace overall a bit more. Anyway, BT has several good articles on using a heart rate monitor (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=53 and http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... are good ones for getting started).

(2) Maybe you're dealing with a mental block. I have an issue with my calves cramping when I swim long distances. While my calves really do cramp, I honestly believe it's a mind game my head started playing with me after I had a couple of killer cramps while swimming a couple of years ago. Now, I have specific strategies to get myself through a swim, even when I am sure my legs will cramp. So, I suggest you try some strategies to trick your head into letting you go farther. For example, for your longer runs, try going to run/walk intervals: run for 10 minutes, walk for 1 minute. Do this the entire run. If that doesn't seem to work, try shortening the run interval to 5 or 7 minutes. It may feel awkward at first, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. If that doesn't work at all, when you do your long runs and you get to that wall, only make yourself run 1 minute longer. Then, the next time, try 2 minutes. Maybe the very gradual ramp up will allow you to get past the hard part.

I also think that as you incorporate speed work, you will find that your running improves overall, and longer distance running may start to come more easily.

2009-04-27 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2110621

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-04-26 12:04 AM What is Endurox?  I'm interested in nutrition because I'm trying to lose some weight in addition to training for the 1/2, but I'm not that knowledgeable about different nutritional supplements, shakes, etc.  As such, I generally just eat a turkey sandwich after a long workout (strong stomach comes with flying fighters).  Also, when should I start taking in calories during a workout.  I've never done anything more than a sprint, so I'm curious about the nutrition aspect of the longer races.  Thanks

Cory 

Cory,

Endurox is an after-workout recovery drink that is made up of a 4:1 cabohydrate to protein ratio. It's one of several available. Also, BT members get a discount on Infinit products, which are specifically designed to accomodate your specific physiological and training needs (http://www.infinitnutrition.com/). I plan on trying Infinit this season as I am about out of Endurox.

Be careful with the weight loss when training for something as intense as a half. If you are careful with your diet, with the increased exercise volume, you probably will drop a few pounds.

As for taking in calories during a workout, IMHO, you don't need to worry about nutrition for anything less than an hour. For an hour to two hours, I think you only need something like Gatorade or Heed. If your workout is going to be two hours or longer, starting about 30 minutes into the workout, start taking in calories. What you eat will depend on what you're doing (for example, I can eat more real stuff on the bike, but am very limited on what I can eat on the run). For long bike rides, after that first 30 minutes, I set my watch to beep every 10 minutes, and I alternate eating a gel, taking a swig of Endurox (even tho it's a recovery drink, I also use it in-ride), and maybe chewing a Clif Shot Block. On the run, I just take about 1/2 a gel and only every 20-30 minutes. And of course, plenty of water.

It's something you will want to play around with to see what works best for you.

Also, another big life saver for me has been Endurolyte (sodium, potassium, electrolyte capsules).

Does anybody else in the group have nutrition strategies that work particularly well for them that they can share with Cory?

2009-04-30 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2114292

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Sorry for not posting interesting and informative tidbits and not sending inpsires lately, crew. I am still way under the weather. I will catch up in the next couple of days. I promise.

2009-04-30 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2120098

User image

Veteran
Barrington
kvesey - 2009-04-30 6:37 AM

Sorry for not posting interesting and informative tidbits and not sending inpsires lately, crew. I am still way under the weather. I will catch up in the next couple of days. I promise.

FEEL BETTER SOON KAREN!!
2009-04-30 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Sorry for not being very active.  I have been on the road for the past couple of weeks (work related), but I have managed to keep my training up.  I get funny looks dragging my bike around everywhere I go, but who cares!  I should be home Friday and and be more active on my posting.

So how is training going with everyone?  Any interesting races coming up?  Io know I have one in 2 weeks, Soak up the Sun, I can't wait.  This will be my second Tri and I am stoked!

Hope your feeling better Karen.

2009-05-01 1:16 AM
in reply to: #2120098

User image

Prattville
kvesey - 2009-04-30 4:37 AM

I hope you feel better soon, Karen.  On a personal note, my world just got turned on its ear.  I received short notice orders to move from sunny Las Vegas to Montgomery AL.  I have 6 weeks to get all of my stuff from one coast to another.  I hope this doesn't impact my training too much, but I'm sure that I'll be busy.  On the plus side, this opens up the Augusta 70.3 I've been looking at.  Anybody feel like racing in Sept?

Cory 
2009-05-01 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2121764

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-30 3:42 PM

Sorry for not being very active.  I have been on the road for the past couple of weeks (work related), but I have managed to keep my training up.  I get funny looks dragging my bike around everywhere I go, but who cares!  I should be home Friday and and be more active on my posting.

So how is training going with everyone?  Any interesting races coming up?  Io know I have one in 2 weeks, Soak up the Sun, I can't wait.  This will be my second Tri and I am stoked!

I am very impressed that you drag your bike around with you. Good for you! And I'm sorry that I won't be at Soak up the Sun to cheer you on. Instead, I will be in Virginia running the Marine Corps Historic Half in my old stomping grounds. But Heatwave is only a month away, so I'll see you there.

2009-05-01 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2122855

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-05-01 1:16 AM
kvesey - 2009-04-30 4:37 AM

I hope you feel better soon, Karen.  On a personal note, my world just got turned on its ear.  I received short notice orders to move from sunny Las Vegas to Montgomery AL.  I have 6 weeks to get all of my stuff from one coast to another.  I hope this doesn't impact my training too much, but I'm sure that I'll be busy.  On the plus side, this opens up the Augusta 70.3 I've been looking at.  Anybody feel like racing in Sept?

Cory 

I remember those days (as a kid, of course). Well, you will practically be a neighbor when you move. And I am planning on Augusta 70.3, too. If you decide to do it, we'll definitely have to meet up!

2009-05-01 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Thanks, everyone, for the well wishes. A quick trip to the doc, and a few drugs later, and I am already feeling much perkier. I'm hoping to get some easy workouts in this weekend. Maybe even a little swim this afternoon.

What's everyone else got on their plates this weekend?

2009-05-01 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2123444

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-05-01 9:57 AM

msfugitivehunter - 2009-04-30 3:42 PM

I am very impressed that you drag your bike around with you. Good for you! And I'm sorry that I won't be at Soak up the Sun to cheer you on. Instead, I will be in Virginia running the Marine Corps Historic Half in my old stomping grounds. But Heatwave is only a month away, so I'll see you there.

Man, wish I could run the Marine Corps Historic....being a former Marine, that would be a very meaningful race to me.  Good Luck there!  I will definitely see you at Heatwave and hopefully at Heart of Dixie as well.
2009-05-02 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2124969

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Man, wish I could run the Marine Corps Historic....being a former Marine, that would be a very meaningful race to me.  Good Luck there!  I will definitely see you at Heatwave and hopefully at Heart of Dixie as well.

Yep. Heart of Dixie too. Except for the traffic and inevitable heat, I love that race!

2009-05-06 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2125963

User image

Prattville
kvesey - 2009-05-02 5:25 PM

Yep. Heart of Dixie too. Except for the traffic and inevitable heat, I love that race!

Guests always come at a bad time.  Anyway, back on schedule with training for the Augusta 1/2!

How is Heart of Dixie?  I'm looking at doing it, but the distances look a little weird.  Is it a sprint, olympic or combination?  How bad is the heat? 

2009-05-06 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2135212

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
cshollon - 2009-05-06 7:00 PM

Guests always come at a bad time.  Anyway, back on schedule with training for the Augusta 1/2!

How is Heart of Dixie?  I'm looking at doing it, but the distances look a little weird.  Is it a sprint, olympic or combination?  How bad is the heat? 

This will be my first year to run that one.  I believe it is classified as an Olympic.  I hear the heat is somewhat torturous, especially the last part of the race because you enter the fairgrounds and run on a horsetrack.  They say it is really hot!
2009-05-07 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2135212

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-05-06 7:00 PM

It's one of the oldest continuous triathlons in the country. It is considered Olympic distance, but doesn't have the "standard" distances (unlike USATF running races, triathlons, at least for USAT purposes, do not have to have a measured, "certified" course). It is a point-to-point course. The swim is in a murky, extra warm lake. The ride then takes you on a slightly rolling course from the campground in Louisville that is the start to Philadelphia, MS, just outside the Neshoba County Fair. Because the fair is in full swing, traffic on the ride can be dicey, especially if it backs up at the light at Noxapater. Then it's a rolling run the last 7 miles to the fairgrounds. Yep. It's hellishly hot and there is a lot of fair traffic. The last mile or so is in the fairgrounds with a 2-loop run around the horse track.

For whatever reason, I love it.

If nothing else...it is an experience.

Edited by kvesey 2009-05-07 6:36 AM
2009-05-07 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD
I'm thinking of setting up a makeshift tri for my Master's Swimming buddies.  Any suggestions on how to go about doing it so I can participate myself.

Swim inside, bike inside, run on a treadmill was my initial thought, but other participants would prefer doing the bike and run outside.

We would be a small group of 5-10.

Maybe I'm simplifying it too much.

Not sure how the transitions would work.
Or if we should stop after each sport and regather ourselves......

Any words of wisdom?
2009-05-07 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
You may be able to contact your local YMCA, I know here in our area they sometimes have indoors triathlons where you swim in the pool, transition, go down the hallway to the spin room and cycle, transition and then off to the treadmills.  I am not sure exactly how they do the transitions but I will ask for you.
2009-05-07 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2135846

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Several years ago, I did a couple of indoor triathlons. They were just for fun, but the rules were that everything had to be done inside (penalties applied for doing any part of the tri outside), the events could be done in any order, and transition times didn't count. I did mine at the YMCA. They let us set up our bikes on the trainers in the gym (this is before they had spin bikes). So, we swam in the pool, did a quick change in the locker room, moseyed over to the bikes and rode, and then hopped on the treadmills to run. It was a lot of fun.

We did ours with set distances (sprint or Olympic), but I have heard of indoor tris that are done by time. So many minutes for each event.

Anyway, just have fun with it.

2009-05-08 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2137726

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

So, what's on tap for everyone this weekend?

Tomorrow, I'm doing a trail run. Can't wait. I used to run tails all the time back in VA, but haven't found them for this area. My fault for not really investigating. But I love running on trails. In fact, next week, when I'm back "home," I will be hitting my once regular trail run. In any case, I think tomorrow will be awesome, and who knows? I may finally get educated on good trails locally to run on.

I'm also hoping to ride tomorrow afternoon, but that's low priority. If I feel like it. Around 30 miles.

Then, on Sunday, I'm meeting a friend early to go for a 10-mile run. 

So, all-in-all, a pretty great weekend.

Hope everyone gets some solid, satisfying workouts in, too.

2009-05-08 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
My tri group is getting together to run in the morning (Sat) then again on Sunday morning to bike.  Not sure of the distances yet.  But glad that the weather is finally cooperating.  I'm tired of staring at the wall at that gym.

I'm always nervous when I go out to ride because I have yet to buy a flat tire emergency kit.  I just carry my cell phone.  YIKES!!

Not that I would know how to do it even if I had a kit.

I'll let you know how the weekend goes.
2009-05-09 12:27 AM
in reply to: #2139690

User image

Prattville
kvesey - 2009-05-08 2:39 PM

So, what's on tap for everyone this weekend?

Tomorrow, I'm doing a trail run. Can't wait. I used to run tails all the time back in VA, but haven't found them for this area. My fault for not really investigating. But I love running on trails. In fact, next week, when I'm back "home," I will be hitting my once regular trail run. In any case, I think tomorrow will be awesome, and who knows? I may finally get educated on good trails locally to run on.

I'm also hoping to ride tomorrow afternoon, but that's low priority. If I feel like it. Around 30 miles.

Then, on Sunday, I'm meeting a friend early to go for a 10-mile run. 

So, all-in-all, a pretty great weekend.

Hope everyone gets some solid, satisfying workouts in, too.

I'm volunteering at the Lake Las Vegas Iron Girl tri tomorrow and then up for a brick of 2.0 hr bike and 4.5 mile run.  Worried about nutrition (both what to eat and how to eat it - gels or solids on the bike?  While still pedaling?!)  Any suggestions are welcome.

2009-05-09 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
PHEWW!!  Just finished my first sat morning run with the Alpine Runners.  I never had so much fun running before!  And that's the furthest I've ever done without stopping to walk.  We had a great group.  The wind had to be at least 50mph at some points.  My thighs are burning from my muscle conditioning class yesterday.

Any suggestions on how to get this lactic acid out of my legs?

Especially before my 30 mile bike tomorrow!!

I'm about to eat a veggie omlet (thanks to my hubby).   Make that protein/carb do it's job.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11