Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-22 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2362064

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
Subject: RE: BIking Ettiquite
ok, this thread jinxed me.  I've been riding for years, solo and in groups, and have never had another rider grab my wheel un-announced.  So, yesterday I read though this tread with only amused interest.  Then, today, I'll be damned if it didn't happen.  hammering along in aero position when I heard shifting gears as I hit a small hill.  Looked back and there he was...didn't say anything to me...just stayed there.  One mile later, even as I slowed a bit to let him pass...still there.  So I gave him "the look" (think Lance and Ulrick a few years back) and put the hammer down.  He was gone about 20 seconds later and I got a good morale boost...plus some sprint training!

2009-08-22 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2363273

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Derek1984 - 2009-08-21 5:30 PM
the bear - 2009-08-21 5:11 PM
Derek1984 - 2009-08-21 4:07 PM
piperfl - 2009-08-21 10:04 AM Yesterday  I was training a quick 1 hr solo ride....10 minutes into it, i saw a shadow behind me, and realized someone was drafting.  They did not ask, they did not say a word to me.  I pulled this guy for 9 miles before I had to turn around, an when I did, he just looked at me..no thank you or anything. 
I was pretty annoyed.  I think irt is so unsafe to draft someone you don't know, unless you say smething "do, you mifd if I sit in uyour draf for a bit", or whatever, but saying nothing.  How does he know what kind of rider I am..maybe I stop short, brake fast, whatever...
Do you say something when you draft off strangers?  Is this normal...

It's more embarassing that a guy was drafting a girl. 

So there are no females who are stronger cyclists than you?

I should have used sarcasm font.

However, I did check my last race (HIM) and the answer to your question based on that race would be no.  But there are a ton of elites and pros that would smoke me.

Since the post that "should have had the sarcasm font" was pretty obnoxious, I had to go look this up.  The first "Derek" in the Musselman HIM had a bike time of 2:42, and there was one woman with a time of 2:38.

Hope you weren't drafting off her!  Now that would be really embarrassing!!
2009-08-22 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Usually if I pull someone for several miles when they break off they'll say something like, "thanks for the pull"  Most bike racers don't time trial.  The race is won by conserving energy not by expending it.

Odd that they spent that much time with you and didn't say anything at all.  It could be they were having a harder time hanging on than they anticipated and were embarrassed.

2009-08-22 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2364335

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
NeilsWheel - 2009-08-22 7:39 PM Odd that they spent that much time with you and didn't say anything at all.  It could be they were having a harder time hanging on than they anticipated and were embarrassed.

which is probably the case...or could have hit the wall far from home and needed the lift and just didn't have the wind left in him to speak...or a new rider that took at least nine miles to recover...:P
2009-08-22 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Biking Ettiquite
They should have asked.

If I am out training, I really don't care if someone is on my wheel as it does not affect me.  I ride with full awareness so I know if someone is on my wheel.  If I am going into a headwind and I pass someone who is struggling, I will pass them and give them a chance to sit in for a bit unless I am in the middle of an interval.

I did have a weird drafting experience last week.  I passed a couple.  Dude jumps on my wheel and drops his girlfriend/wife/female friend to suck my wheel.  It was a pretty strong headwind and I'm sure his riding companion did not appreciate him leaving her to fight  the wind by herself.

The really weird part...I get stuck at a light and he says,"I'm interested in getting a Lynskey, can I look at your bike?" 

OK.  Then he looks at me like, well, step off of your bike so I can check it out.  He then lifts the front wheel and most of the water in my aero bottle comes gushing out  over his hands.  It wasn't until I yelled "DUDE!" before he lowered the bike. WTF?  When the light turned green, I did not give him the chance to suck my wheel anymore.  besides, he really should have hung with his friend.

To your point about drafting someone you don't know... it can be risky.  What are their handling skills?  Do they know to call out obstacles?

Edited by Bumble Bee 2009-08-22 8:13 PM
2009-08-22 9:34 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

I had a friend who was doing the Seattle to Portland ride and some dude drafted off her for a long time.  Miserable rainy day as well.  Well, apperently he wasn't paying attention cause they come up on some cars on the side of the road.  She moved over for them...he didn't.  Knowing my friend she probably did let him know, but if your not use to drafting I could see someone not paying attention (especially at the tail end of a 200 mile ride) and/or not even knowing what the signs are.  Guess he got hurt pretty bad.  The STP is one big draft fest though.  Especially the first half.  Not many do the whole thing so it thins out a lot, but last time I did it we still had quite a few jump on our gang all through the ride.  Some said something, most didn't.

2009-08-22 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah that guy was rude. That would have bugged the hell out of me...it's like someone invading your "bubble" I didn't ask for a training partner. I would have just slowed down and let the guy pass....i prob would have said some thing after a bout a mile...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BIking Ettiquite Rss Feed  

of 3