BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-12-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: #2558214

User image

Murrieta
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Scott with the holidays, I completely understand if you don't answer threads.  Family comes first right!  Hope everyone has a great holiday and soon we will all feel guilty from all the food we shouldn't have eaten...

2009-12-24 9:21 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Happy Holiday Everyone!!  (to those of you who celebrate)
Looking forward to kicking this off in the new year!
2009-12-24 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Having a lazy morning then going to the gym, then a party in the afternoon.
So happy the gym is open xmas day or I may go for a real run if the rain stays away.
Enjoy this family time everyone.
Fi
2009-12-24 12:51 PM

User image

Expert

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope you all have a great weekend.

2009-12-24 1:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-24 6:27 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!! Hope you all enjoy the holidays

2009-12-27 8:36 AM

Regular
Salem
The day after Christmas...all Holiday food thrown out.  I find it easier to get rid of the food than to fight those cookies..lol.
2009-12-27 8:29 PM

Murrieta
Well first day on the program went well. I kept on track with nutrition and swam a little more than the projected work out. Now time to get a good night sleep.
2009-12-28 4:25 PM

Expert

I'm back from vacation and need to get cracking! How about everyone else? I'm going to hop on the trainer tonight and then will get up to swim masters before work.

I hope everyone had a good holiday!

2009-12-29 6:46 AM

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Just curious if anyone lifts weight and finds a benefit from it (speed, power, muscle tone, ect)?
2009-12-29 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2581444

Master
TORONTO
Bachelor Reform - 2009-12-29 7:46 AM Happy Holidays Everyone!

Just curious if anyone lifts weight and finds a benefit from it (speed, power, muscle tone, ect)?

I used to do resistance training for about 2-3 hrs per week and then gave it up when I started getting into triathlons.  I did none last year and I felt a difference.  Not so much in my performance (I'm a beginner so not sure I *would* notice a difference) but more so in muscle tone and level of fitness so I started back - just a little.  I do about an hour a week and I stick to a workout that is supposed to be "tri-friendly".  I think the bent arm standing pull-downs has helped my swimming stroke and I like how it helps my core.  I tend to lay off the leg work if I'm running/cycling a lot.  I try to avoid arms around swim times.  For the most part my body just feels more tired when doing strength workouts but I like the toning affects.

The Training Bible recommends these as a off season workout - they call it anatomical adaptation for those that don't train often.  It's purpose is to prepare the muscles and tendons for greater loads:
-Hip Extensions (squat, leg press or step ups)
-Standing, bent-arm lat pull-downs
-Chest press or push ups
-Seated row
-Ab work
-Work on your personal weakness (hamstring curl, knee extension or heel raise)
Here's a link: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/weights2003.html/>
They also recommend core work (as do the plans on this site).  I never get around to finding the time to do them (excuses I know):
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/core1.html/>
Hope this helps!

2009-12-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2581444

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-12-29 10:51 PM

New user

Chilliwack
Hi there, sorry I haven't checked in.  I'm sure you can imagine how busy xmas is with three kids (4, 5,and 7).  I'm trying to get to know this site, and I feel a bit out of my depth but am working on it.  I live in Chilliwack, BC - about 2 hours outside of Vancouver.

I think I need to do a few things:
make the group people my "friends"
create a plan on my page
check your training page? maybe?

Also, I did download the 16 week training plan for the Olympic, which I have put into my calendar.  My Olympic is on September 12 at Cultus Lake.  However, I thought that perhaps as my race is such a distance away, I should perhaps get going with another training program.  In the 16 week program, it says that you could start with the couch to olympic program but I can't find that anywhere.  Does anyone know where I can find that program?

I know that my swimming and bike are better than couch to olympic level, but in all honestly, my running sucks, so it would probably be a good place to start and get me moving again.  I haven't done much in December.

Also, do you recommend that people do a smaller race, like a Sprint when there is such a long time before their "goal" race?  I was thinking of doing a Sprint in July. 
2009-12-30 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2569403

New user

Chilliwack
Hi Scott, I live in Chilliwack, BC, Canada. Just a 2 hour drive from Vancouver.Michelle
2009-12-30 7:55 PM

Regular
Salem
I went to doctor yesterday for an arm injury that happended last summer.  He advised that he does not want me lifting weights for 6 weeks ( bending elbow with weights).  Does anybody have any ideas for weight lifting upper body parts that does not include bending the elbow (chest, tri's etc.

I have been lifting weights for almost a year.  Weight lifting was a great help to me loosing 45lbs since last January.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

2009-12-30 7:58 PM

I was looking over the training programs and maybe I am slow, but what do the numbers mean when it says 17 Swim or 88 Bike? Is that minutes per session or distance? What about intensity?

2009-12-30 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2585243

srichards428 - 2009-12-30 7:55 PM I went to doctor yesterday for an arm injury that happended last summer.  He advised that he does not want me lifting weights for 6 weeks ( bending elbow with weights).  Does anybody have any ideas for weight lifting upper body parts that does not include bending the elbow (chest, tri's etc.

I have been lifting weights for almost a year.  Weight lifting was a great help to me loosing 45lbs since last January.

when my tendinitis got really bad my physical therapist gave me resistance bands and gave me a list of exercises to do & more importantly, what not to do.  I'd suggest getting a referral and be frank about your fitness goals/expectations with that person.
2009-12-30 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2585246

Master
TORONTO
zexx9 - 2009-12-30 8:58 PM I was looking over the training programs and maybe I am slow, but what do the numbers mean when it says 17 Swim or 88 Bike? Is that minutes per session or distance? What about intensity?

The numbers refer to minutes.  Not sure about intensity... depends on where you are at fitness level and what your goals are.  If you are just new - you might just get the time in at a pace that makes you sweat.  You could browse the plans and look for drills.  I like doing ladders when swimming - 50m/100m/200m/100m/50m with a short break in between each.
2009-12-30 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2585278

Master
TORONTO
Bachelor Reform - 2009-12-30 9:20 PM
srichards428 - 2009-12-30 7:55 PM I went to doctor yesterday for an arm injury that happended last summer.  He advised that he does not want me lifting weights for 6 weeks ( bending elbow with weights).  Does anybody have any ideas for weight lifting upper body parts that does not include bending the elbow (chest, tri's etc.

when my tendinitis got really bad my physical therapist gave me resistance bands and gave me a list of exercises to do & more importantly, what not to do.  I'd suggest getting a referral and be frank about your fitness goals/expectations with that person.

x2  ^^
I hurt my elbow a while back and did some deep water aquafit classes.  Helped doing tricep motions etc without putting too much strain initially.
2009-12-31 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2585506

Regular
Salem
Thanks for the help.  I have an ulnar nerve injury and the doctor simply said "no weight lifting that involves bending of arm".  Maybe this w3ould be a good time to step up core workouts and anything else I can find.  Therapist said that I could still swim but dont over do it.  I was kinda dissapointed when they told me no weight lifting.  I will find out in the end of this six weeks if I have to have surgery. 
2009-12-31 12:04 PM
in reply to: #2585246

Expert

zexx9 - 2009-12-30 5:58 PM I was looking over the training programs and maybe I am slow, but what do the numbers mean when it says 17 Swim or 88 Bike? Is that minutes per session or distance? What about intensity?

Jason, as was pointed out the numbers are minutes. I would imagine that most of the beginner plans would be at an itensity where you would be able to maintain an even pace, but that's just my take.

There are plans available out here that have more instruction than just minutes per discipline per workout. Most of those plans are available with the premium memberships. Now this may sound like a commercial, which I don't intend, but the cost of the bronze and silver plans are really good in comparison with what you get. Not only do you get more in depth training plans but it also "unlocks" more features of blogging and logging your workouts. Just a thought to throw out to some of you.

I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!

2010-01-03 5:43 PM

Our group has been quiet for awhile so I thought I should post something. I swam 50 laps today in 39 minutes. This is probably the furthest I have swan in my entire life. I am looking forward to an actual swim in a lake as the constant turning around after 25 meters is annoying. I was wondering who has to run and bike indoors due to their climate. I do try to run outdoors when I can, but we have some -30 to -40 temperatures here in Canada. I have a spin bike and a bike trainer, but am wondering if the spin bike is good enough? I will use the trainer and roller in the near future, as my fitness progresses.
2010-01-04 2:58 AM
in reply to: #2591148

I try to workout as much as possible outdoors. The weather is good here (california) so planning is the only issue. My gf has committed to loose weight and "needs" me to accompany her to the gym. It ads to my planning woes(blames me when I can't go b/c then she "can't" go) Sorry venting...

Did you mention rollers? get the band-aids ready. For me the difference btwn stationary and actual is finding a gearing/cadence nirvanna & getting to speed after a hill.

Innocent
2010-01-04 5:51 AM
in reply to: #2591148

Master
TORONTO
zexx9 - 2010-01-03 6:43 PM Our group has been quiet for awhile so I thought I should post something. I swam 50 laps today in 39 minutes. This is probably the furthest I have swan in my entire life. I am looking forward to an actual swim in a lake as the constant turning around after 25 meters is annoying. I was wondering who has to run and bike indoors due to their climate. I do try to run outdoors when I can, but we have some -30 to -40 temperatures here in Canada. I have a spin bike and a bike trainer, but am wondering if the spin bike is good enough? I will use the trainer and roller in the near future, as my fitness progresses.

Congrats on the swim!  The nice thing about tracking workouts is you get to see how far you've come!
re: turning - I was surprised at how the turning points offer a little break.  My gym has a 16m pool - then I switched to 25m and felt the difference.  50m was even a bigger eye opener.  I don't feel like I stop but I guess I take a little pause and breath and then go.  I don't do flip turns because I figure I won't do them in open water but ya... little breaks... who knew?

I was planning on running outside but totally wimped out this weekend.  -20 degrees, blowing snow.  I don't even know how to dress/plan for such a run.  Yesterday I was driving home and there was NO ONE on the streets.  Then I see this lone runner wearing a white jacket  with something red on the back - and as I get closer the red smudge materializes into the M dot.  Go figure - it would take an ironman to brave that weather!!

I have to rearrange my workouts because I'm tired of running in the dark at insane hours and walking to the gym in the mornings isn't fun either.  I use a trainer and find it definitely better than a stationary bike in terms of workouts.  And a spinning bike better than a stationary bike.  That's just my thoughts - you work with what you got right?

Bachelor Reform - sort of sucks your g/f is putting the success/failure of her weight loss system on your shoulders!  Maybe she could hire a personal trainer?  Someone to support and be there for her and where her goals are paramount?  Just a thought...
2010-01-04 11:18 AM
in reply to: #2591813

kimmax - 2010-01-04 5:51 AM  Congrats on the swim!  The nice thing about tracking workouts is you get to see how far you've come!

Ditto that & its very motivating to glance at group member logs and see everyone's progress!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18