BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-12-28 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2579559

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED
amyleigh - 2009-12-28 12:33 AM I was pretty happy with my training...just didn't get swimming in as the gym was closed Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Then I was out of town!  But ready to hit the pool this week!!
I used my new Garmin Forerunner 305 today!  I love it!!  I also got running gloves, arm warmers and a warm, long sleeve running pullover from Florida Ironman.  I just got my bike trainer before Christmas.  It is a Nashbar fluid and loving it so far!

Amy take care of yourself...what a way to spend your Christmas!  I hope you get to feeling better soon!!  I hope everyone had a great Christmas!! Smile

So, we've got another girl with a new 305! That's awesome. It's on my list, too, and I've got some stuff to open from Mom next week so we'll see. Glad you've gotten a trainer. I hear great things about Nashbar.

2009-12-28 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2579579

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Skywashed - 2009-12-28 1:17 AM Thanks for the encouraging words, Mandy!Amy, my goodness, I am glad you did not have meningitis! I hope you are back to feeling top-notch soon!As for me, my shoulder has been worse in the past few days and also my knee is acting up, which leaves only elliptical as an option. I haven't wanted to leave my daughter to get to the elliptical at the gym since she had been away for nearly a week visiting her dad. So...... I've done very little! I am however, remembering what it feels like to relax and veg out.I hope the rest of you all have been more industrious in your training!

Sorry to hear about that pesky shoulder and now your knee. While I'm sure you'd rather be training, remembering what it's like to relax can be beneficial in SO many ways.
2009-12-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2579624

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
manfarr1974 - 2009-12-28 7:13 AM Training went well for me - no swimming, but I got some running and biking in.

Amy, sounds like some awesome gear!  I got a gift cert to ontri.com, and some cash to get an aerobar and maybe a new seat.  Any of you have an aerobar? I found a fairly inexpensive Profile ($80 + they will fit me) and although it is pretty basic, I don't know that I will know the difference between that and a more expensive one, except that I spent more $$.  I thought if I really wanted to in the future I could upgrade. 

Happy Monday!
Mandy

Definitely sounds like you've got some good stuff, too. You're right: You can always upgrade in the future. Some say nutrition is our fourth sport. I say it's upgrading! I don't have aerobars yet, but I'll probably pick up a set in February when our tri shop has a clearance sale. Can't wait to get them, though.
2009-12-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2579652

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
J.Jill - 2009-12-28 8:00 AM Ok training is getting back!! I did running and a swim I need to get on the bike. For Christmas I got nothing because funds are tight but I am ok with that. I really have everything I need. I got my trainier last year so I don't need anything!

Amykmo I will say a big pray for you to get well soon!! I am also glad you don't have that condition!!

Everyone have a good Monday!!

Glad to hear you're back on it again. Can totally appreciate the tight fund situation, Patricia, though I'm glad to hear you've got all you need.
2009-12-28 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2562810

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
OK, just when you thought you'd scroll down some more and see another face, I've got one more post for now. Marmadaddy, one of the administrators of this site, posted something you've got to read. You may have already read it over in the Tri Talk forum, but I thought I'd share it here.

For those of us who've been at this for a while, it's a humbling reminder. For those of you who are completely new to this tri stuff, I hope it can help you feel even more welcome on BT knowing that the guys on here continue to stay true to the "beginner" part of this site.  Enjoy!

(I don't know why this won't hyperlink, so just copy and paste it into your address line at the top of your browser.)

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=191492&posts=10&start=1
2009-12-28 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2579016

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Happy Holidays Everyone!

I am going to be honest here....I ate and drank way too much over the holidays.  I do it every year and feel like crap for a few days.  Not to worry though,  I did manage to continue with my normal exercise routine so I am still on track!

I did not receive any special exercise-related gifts this year, but I bought a trainer off Craig's list last year. I don't know what kind it is...I just know that I sweat a lot when I use it.  Not much outdoor biking going on in Michigan this time of year!

So.....I have been reading everyone's posts and am getting a bit intimidated. For a beginner's group, there sure seems to be a ton of experience.  I have never done any kind of triathalon and am wondering if I am in over my head.  (my event isn't until June!). Am I the only one who feels this way?

Thanks Ladies!

Jeri

2009-12-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2580879

User image

jgrigg - 2009-12-28 7:10 PM Happy Holidays Everyone!

I am going to be honest here....I ate and drank way too much over the holidays.  I do it every year and feel like crap for a few days.  Not to worry though,  I did manage to continue with my normal exercise routine so I am still on track!

I did not receive any special exercise-related gifts this year, but I bought a trainer off Craig's list last year. I don't know what kind it is...I just know that I sweat a lot when I use it.  Not much outdoor biking going on in Michigan this time of year!

So.....I have been reading everyone's posts and am getting a bit intimidated. For a beginner's group, there sure seems to be a ton of experience.  I have never done any kind of triathalon and am wondering if I am in over my head.  (my event isn't until June!). Am I the only one who feels this way?

Thanks Ladies!

Jeri

Jeri, I have never done a tri of any kind, you are not alone!  I keep trying to sign up for one and then something happens that stops me from doing it. You at least our set up to do one me I have not even looked at one until I feel my body can handle it. I am not a young person! So you are not alone at all.
2009-12-28 8:24 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2009-12-28 7:10 PM Happy Holidays Everyone!

Thanks Ladies!

Jeri

Jeri, I understand how you feel. There can be so many things to consider in this sport, it can feel quite overwhelming at times. But that is what this group is for: To be a support system for you.  I do not believe in any dumb questions, so fire away at any time. You can do it here in the thread or drop me a private message.  This is "beginner" triathlete and this whole site is here for you, too!

Also, you have got PLENTY of time between now and June to get ready. Six months is a great time range to be more than fully prepared. Though you said your eating and drinking was a little much over the holiday, you still kept up your training...That's AWESOME. Looking at your logs, Jeri, you really are off to a great start. We'll just take it one day at a time and before June rolls around, you will find yourself equipped and ready for the challenge!

The folks in the Michigan thread (let me know if "Michigan" is not showing up in your Forums queue) are very active. Lots of folks in Michigan here on BT.  You can ask them questions about specific races you're considering to help give you a better picture of race day.

You can do it!

2009-12-28 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey Jeri-

You are definitely not in over your head!  This is my first year in triathlon, and it took me about 4 years to actually sign up for one - so congrats on getting signed up with a key race with plenty of time to train.  It sounds like you are in the right place to me!  Smile

I think this group, the forums on BT, and even if you make your way on over to GOTRIbal (oh yeah, you know you want to check it out!) - you will find the triathlete community to be completely supportive, open, and happy to give sound advice, tell stories, and provide great support. 

I personally have to admit that I am a little excited because I have NO ONE anywhere near me that has any interest in this stuff - so I have no one to really talk training to (well, at least no one whose eyes don't glaze over as they politely listen to me wonder how the heck to do a flip turn).  I so appreciate you Lora for setting up this group - it sounds like we have an awesome group of women here! Yeah.

Nighty Night!
Mandy

2009-12-29 4:08 AM
in reply to: #2581144

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
Thanks ladies....I think your encouraging comments are what I need to hear! I do have lots of questions too.  No time now....on my way to the gym to swim.  Have to get there at 5:30 am to get a lane.  How do you do a flip turn anyway?  I try but have no idea what I am doing and probably look pretty silly.

Jeri
2009-12-29 6:12 AM
in reply to: #2581392

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Yeah, I have no idea how to flip turn...I only try it 4-5 times when I am in the pool.  I spy on people underwater (doesn't that make you want to swim in a lane near me? ha) to watch them flip turn to try and figure it out. 

2009-12-29 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
jgrigg - 2009-12-29 5:08 AM Thanks ladies....I think your encouraging comments are what I need to hear! I do have lots of questions too.  No time now....on my way to the gym to swim.  Have to get there at 5:30 am to get a lane.  How do you do a flip turn anyway?  I try but have no idea what I am doing and probably look pretty silly.

Jeri

Glad to hear it! There is a great video here on BT on how to do flip turns. Since BT changed the site last year, I don't know how to find it. They used to have a search button for those things. Now, the only search button I see is for the forums.

I'll find it and link to it back on here.
2009-12-29 7:25 AM

User image

jgrigg - 2009-12-29 5:08 AM Thanks ladies....I think your encouraging comments are what I need to hear! I do have lots of questions too.  No time now....on my way to the gym to swim.  Have to get there at 5:30 am to get a lane.  How do you do a flip turn anyway?  I try but have no idea what I am doing and probably look pretty silly.

Jeri

I would like to learn this too!! When I can do the laps without stopping!
2009-12-29 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2581456

User image

Lora109 - 2009-12-29 7:56 AM

Jeri

Glad to hear it! There is a great video here on BT on how to do flip turns. Since BT changed the site last year, I don't know how to find it. They used to have a search button for those things. Now, the only search button I see is for the forums.

I'll find it and link to it back on here.

Thank you Lora!! I will look forward to it too!!!
2009-12-29 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Woo hoo! I found it!  Here it is.  This is such an incredible video. Good luck!

2009-12-29 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN

Lora, I love the article you posted about the new years resolutionists at the gym!!  I have been told by many people that it will get very crowded.  When I think about it I do remember last Jan. lots of people in the gym...but I wasn't swimming then so no idea how crowded the lap pool was. He had a great point about them all being beginners and maybe just maybe some of them will stick to it!
Jeri...you have plenty of time to be ready for your first tri.  I was crazy and signed up for my first tri 3 weeks before with no swimming or biking base but I did it.  The thing is that all triathletes are very nice and encouraging...they all love "newbies" and they are very supportive.  They are all happy you are just out there doing it!!  You will get nothing but encouragement from everyone!  So don't doubt yourself!  And I'm sure you are not old....I'm the old one.....45....ewww I hate when they write that on my leg!!Laughing

Swimming is the hardest...I can't work on flipturns yet cus my swimming sucks!

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!!

2009-12-29 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, IN
When I wrote I'm sure you are not old I was referring to J.Jill.  She wrote that she wasn't young...but I'm sure she is....young at heart is all you have to be!   Oh and Mandy I checked out GOTRIbal and signed up!  And I do spy on people underwater too.  It's a great way to check out good form!
2009-12-30 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2583290

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
amyleigh - 2009-12-29 11:35 PM

Lora, I love the article you posted about the new years resolutionists at the gym!!  I have been told by many people that it will get very crowded.  When I think about it I do remember last Jan. lots of people in the gym...but I wasn't swimming then so no idea how crowded the lap pool was. He had a great point about them all being beginners and maybe just maybe some of them will stick to it!
Jeri...you have plenty of time to be ready for your first tri.  I was crazy and signed up for my first tri 3 weeks before with no swimming or biking base but I did it.  The thing is that all triathletes are very nice and encouraging...they all love "newbies" and they are very supportive.  They are all happy you are just out there doing it!!  You will get nothing but encouragement from everyone!  So don't doubt yourself!  And I'm sure you are not old....I'm the old one.....45....ewww I hate when they write that on my leg!!Laughing

Swimming is the hardest...I can't work on flipturns yet cus my swimming sucks!

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays!!

Isn't that just a wonderful perspective? My trouble is that, though I've been going for 1 year, when it's warm I'm hardly ever there, so everyone looks new to me...and I must look new to them! 

Amy Leigh, you must check out that video about flip turns I just posted. You'll LOVE it!

Yes, triathletes are an incredibly welcoming group. It's weird. There is just something about having completed a triathlon that endears you to others giving it a go. It can be such a wild experience going from one event to another, and it's just very unique.

Anyway, ya'll have a wonderful Wednesday!
2009-12-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2583301

User image

amyleigh - 2009-12-29 11:45 PM When I wrote I'm sure you are not old I was referring to J.Jill.  She wrote that she wasn't young...but I'm sure she is....young at heart is all you have to be!   Oh and Mandy I checked out GOTRIbal and signed up!  And I do spy on people underwater too.  It's a great way to check out good form!

You are right I am young at heart because 50 is not young! 51 this year and new to tri's!

Lora, Thank you for the video I will have to work on this!! Is there a way I can save this somewhere on BT?

Edited by J.Jill 2009-12-30 8:58 AM
2009-12-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2583708

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
J.Jill - 2009-12-30 9:50 AM
amyleigh - 2009-12-29 11:45 PM When I wrote I'm sure you are not old I was referring to J.Jill.  She wrote that she wasn't young...but I'm sure she is....young at heart is all you have to be!   Oh and Mandy I checked out GOTRIbal and signed up!  And I do spy on people underwater too.  It's a great way to check out good form!

You are right I am young at heart because 50 is not young! 51 this year and new to tri's!

Lora, Thank you for the video I will have to work on this!! Is there a way I can save this somewhere on BT?

How I always had it saved (before my computer crashed and I lost my Favorites) was just adding it to my Favorites in my web browser. You might add it as a link on your Training Log page on the right side, or heck even in your dashboard.
2009-12-30 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Lora, thanks so much for the link!

Hey I have a quick story for you guys.  I did the Lobsterman Tri in Sept (Oly dist), and I was on the run portion, feeling like crap (tri lesson #523 - do plenty of bike/run bricks.  Plenty.  Like more than 2.)  Anyway, this guy passes me (when I say pass, I mean passes me strongly), and I pick my head up and look at the back of his leg.  It said 75 - it wasn't his race #, it was his age!  And he wasn't on a relay.  I also decided to try and stay with him, which I did, but not without effort. Pretty awesome, I hope I am doing tris at that age.

Happy New Year all!

Mandy

2009-12-30 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2584487

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
manfarr1974 - 2009-12-30 2:39 PM Lora, thanks so much for the link!

Hey I have a quick story for you guys.  I did the Lobsterman Tri in Sept (Oly dist), and I was on the run portion, feeling like crap (tri lesson #523 - do plenty of bike/run bricks.  Plenty.  Like more than 2.)  Anyway, this guy passes me (when I say pass, I mean passes me strongly), and I pick my head up and look at the back of his leg.  It said 75 - it wasn't his race #, it was his age!  And he wasn't on a relay.  I also decided to try and stay with him, which I did, but not without effort. Pretty awesome, I hope I am doing tris at that age.

Happy New Year all!

Mandy

Mandy, that is such a great story! I love it when people older than me skunk me...and it happens often!  There are usually a couple people in their sixties who outdo me every race.  Though I wish I was ahead of them, of course, I'm secretly rooting for them.
2009-12-30 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison

Name
Amykmo/My

Story
I was a band geek in high school.  Never ran anything longer than a mile and that was a stretch.  Exercise for me was walking on the treadmill.  Then something awesome happened.  Madison, WI got the Ironman competition.  I would volunteer and watch these crazy athletes doing something I could NEVER do.  I couldn't run.  I couldn't swim.  I was lazy, fat, well and not an athlete.

After I had my first kids (twins) I heard about the Danskin and thought that maybe I could do a triathlon.  But then I got pregnant again and surprise 20 months later I have 3 kids under the age of two and the body of a 50 year old.  Plus - I felt as if I had lost all my identity after becoming a stay-at-home mom - most of my social network was gone.

So - I talked a friend into signing up for the Trek Women's Triathlon in Pleasent Prairie. Hey - it was on my 31st birthday - it was a sign right?  My friend dropped out but I trained last year - lost 10 lbs - and found a new found love for biking. And - I did pretty well.  Not FOP, but not BOP.  Did another - much more challenging sprint at the end of last season.  Then I watched my Uncle finish the WI IM, his first triathlon ever.  I decided that I am going to be an Ironman as well.  We can only do what we try, right?

Anyways this is my second year of triathlons, and I am focusing on Olympic distances.  Next year it's a HIM, and then in 2012 IM.

Family Status

Married. 3 year old twins, 20 month old.  Deprived black lab.

Current Training
Well after my illness last week and being off pretty much the rest of the month, I need to start getting into a groove again in January.  I normally swim with a masters group (I am the BOP in this group) 2x week, take a Spin class 2x week, try to run outside 2x week ( I hate the treadmill), Body Pump 2 x week, and a yoga session.  I love yoga but can't seem to fit it in as much as I would like too.

Last Year’s Races
7/11/2009  Trek Women's Sprint - Pleasant Prairie, WI
8/2009 Madison MiniMarathon 5K
9/18/2009  Devil's Sprint - Baraboo, WI
11/2009 Berbee Derby 5K

Year’s Races
June 2010 Elkhart Lake Olympic
June 2010 Horribly Hilly Hundreds
July 2010  Trek Women's Sprint
July 2010 Triing for Children Olympic
October 2010 Monster Dash 1/2 Mary

Weight Loss
I would love to lose 15-20 pounds and that is my main goal for this year.  This would put me under the athena class and I would love to see what my body looks like and how it performs at this level.  I am a MAJOR junk food eater so this is going to be really hard for me.  Last year I lost 15 at the beginning of the year (and then gained 5 back) so I know I can if I put my mind to it.

I am excited to be part of this group.  There are so many questions and triathlons can be really intimidating at first.  I am looking forward to "meeting" you gals and hopefully I can be of help too.

-Amy

2009-12-31 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2585244

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
amykmo - 2009-12-30 8:56 PM

Name
Amykmo/My

Story
I was a band geek in high school.  Never ran anything longer than a mile and that was a stretch.  Exercise for me was walking on the treadmill.  Then something awesome happened.  Madison, WI got the Ironman competition.  I would volunteer and watch these crazy athletes doing something I could NEVER do.  I couldn't run.  I couldn't swim.  I was lazy, fat, well and not an athlete.

After I had my first kids (twins) I heard about the Danskin and thought that maybe I could do a triathlon.  But then I got pregnant again and surprise 20 months later I have 3 kids under the age of two and the body of a 50 year old.  Plus - I felt as if I had lost all my identity after becoming a stay-at-home mom - most of my social network was gone.

So - I talked a friend into signing up for the Trek Women's Triathlon in Pleasent Prairie. Hey - it was on my 31st birthday - it was a sign right?  My friend dropped out but I trained last year - lost 10 lbs - and found a new found love for biking. And - I did pretty well.  Not FOP, but not BOP.  Did another - much more challenging sprint at the end of last season.  Then I watched my Uncle finish the WI IM, his first triathlon ever.  I decided that I am going to be an Ironman as well.  We can only do what we try, right?

Anyways this is my second year of triathlons, and I am focusing on Olympic distances.  Next year it's a HIM, and then in 2012 IM.

Family Status

Married. 3 year old twins, 20 month old.  Deprived black lab.

Current Training
Well after my illness last week and being off pretty much the rest of the month, I need to start getting into a groove again in January.  I normally swim with a masters group (I am the BOP in this group) 2x week, take a Spin class 2x week, try to run outside 2x week ( I hate the treadmill), Body Pump 2 x week, and a yoga session.  I love yoga but can't seem to fit it in as much as I would like too.

Last Year’s Races
7/11/2009  Trek Women's Sprint - Pleasant Prairie, WI
8/2009 Madison MiniMarathon 5K
9/18/2009  Devil's Sprint - Baraboo, WI
11/2009 Berbee Derby 5K

Year’s Races
June 2010 Elkhart Lake Olympic
June 2010 Horribly Hilly Hundreds
July 2010  Trek Women's Sprint
July 2010 Triing for Children Olympic
October 2010 Monster Dash 1/2 Mary

Weight Loss
I would love to lose 15-20 pounds and that is my main goal for this year.  This would put me under the athena class and I would love to see what my body looks like and how it performs at this level.  I am a MAJOR junk food eater so this is going to be really hard for me.  Last year I lost 15 at the beginning of the year (and then gained 5 back) so I know I can if I put my mind to it.

I am excited to be part of this group.  There are so many questions and triathlons can be really intimidating at first.  I am looking forward to "meeting" you gals and hopefully I can be of help too.

-Amy

Can TOTALLY relate to being a band geek, Amy!  It sounds like you've definitely got the tri bug. That is so awesome of you to have volunteered at IMWI, and it's even more awesome that, though, having kids delayed you from racing, it didn't stop you. You deserve big credit for pursuing that dream!

I think sprints one year, olys the next, HIM the next and then IMs the next is a great way to go. It gives you time to savor and learn about yourself at each distance.  It's not the only way to go, of course, as it's different for each person - as you saw from your uncle!

Again, welcome to the group!
2009-12-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2585244

User image

Regular
Chicago
Amy,

Thanks for posting your story. The amount of exercise you currently describe will certainly help with your weight loss goals. I find it inspiring when active people approach weight loss because theres a lot of potential for success if you modify eating habits.

Training for tris can burn a ton of calories. You can jump start your metabolism by eating small healthy snacks multiple times per day. Eating often helps fuel good workouts.

Everybody,

I'm glad we're talking about being inspired by older triathletes. A couple years ago I met a woman at the pool who, as soon as she walked in, I thought "Here comes a triathlete." She grabbed the lane next to me and I learned that she was 60 years old (she looked 40 to me) and typically wins her age group at Chicago each year. I decided then that I want to be like her when I am 60.

Every time I blow out the candles on my birthday cake, my wish has something to do with still being a triathlete at an older age. (I won't tell the exact wish since telling your birthday wish invalidates it.... )

Edited by Skywashed 2009-12-31 8:49 AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's Just Us Girls Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11