BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-29 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL

Well, I've got an abscessed tooth and it looks like I'll be having a root canal four days before my Half Marathon on January 9th.  Not exactly the ideal taper week, but I'll figure it out.  It hurt so bad this morning I didn't even feel like getting on the trainer (and before you say anything, yes, I actually like the trainer).  Thankfully they got me some 'feel good' pills, so I should be getting my first good sleep in a few days.

2009-12-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2579375

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
YouYou - 2009-12-27 7:57 PM

GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-23 1:29 PM
wyldhair - 2009-12-22 11:53 AM
But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal. 

To make it easier for you I suggest that you start with " I want to... because....", the time frame usually will naturally insert itself.

This is something I need help with.  I have no idea what to expect, therefore any goal that I list would be like saying I want to get to the ocean while standing in the middle of the desert with a blindfold on and plugs in my ears. 

I’m familiar with a bike and I swam a good bit in High School (not competitive – I was a life guard).  I’m faster than most beginners and probably in better shape than most, but I’m still a rookie and self-admittedly clueless about training.  My Half- Marathon time is 1:30 and my full is 3:30.  I want to be faster.  Faster than what …. I don’t know.  I do know that I don’t want to “just finish”  Anything I do, I want to be competitive.  Not saying I want to place, but be competitive.  Suggestions?

Hello Dustin,

1:30 for a half; you are most definitly in much better shape than most!

Joe Friel talks a lot about setting goals in his book "The Triathlete Training Bible".

His priciples for setting goals are:

1) Your goal must be measurable

2) Your goal must be under your control (e.g. saying "I want to win my age group", seems like a good goal, but what do you do if a bunch of genetic freaks à la Chrissie Wellington are turning up?)

3) Your goal must stretch you (but don't confuse goals with dreams - If I said " I would like to run a half in 1:30", this would rather be a dream than a goal)

4) Your goal must be stated in the positive.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Take care

YouYou

Thanks for the advice, YouYou.  Btw, what is the story behind your handle? 

I’ve set some goals based on a conglomeration of my current fitness level, a friend’s recent race times and the prior year race results for the first event I want to compete in this year. 

The Grandman Triathlon on June 5, in Fairhope, AL.  “Right near da beach, boyeee…lotta mercy” – Mr. Nice Guy   That’s a Half-baked reference for those of you slow on the uptake.

My Goal:  I want to finish the Grandman Triathlon on June 5th in a time no greater than 75 min. to place in the top 5 in my age group, because it is the first step toward my ultimate goal of being an ironman.  Approximate splits are 8min swim, 46 min bike, and 20min. run. 

The Disney Marathon is in 12 days.  My main goal for that weekend is for Alabama to win the National Title.  Priorities first.  My second goal for this one is to just enjoy it and remain injury free.  I’m not trying to pr so anything sub 3:45 will be acceptable to me.  If I feel good at the half way point, I may increase my splits a little and see how my body responds. 

2009-12-29 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
2010 Goals

Sub 2:45 @ Chattanooga Waterfront Oly in July because last year I finished in 2:51:xx and I want to beat my time.   I think sub 2:50 is more realistic but I may as well aim high.

Lose a total of 20 pounds by March 31 2010, with the first 10 pounds off by Jan. 31 2010.  That leaves 2 months to lose the dreaded last 10 pounds.  I want to do this because it will make racing easier, and more importantly I will feel better about myself.

That's it for now, still working on some others.

2009-12-29 9:38 PM

User image

New user
Evening guys,

Finally got over this cold (For the most part, still coughing quite a bit). Got out for a 5k run tonight and I felt good. Kept it under an 8 min mile so I am feeling good. Hopeing to get into the pool tommorow morning. Hope the training is going well!

Night all
2009-12-30 12:22 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

Got up early for spin class - got halfway to the gym and realized I had left my shoes at home.  Turned around, climbed back into bed.  Plan to spin after work today since I missed class this morning.

I'm really just posting to put us back on Page 1 - we've fallen to page 2 which can't be good.

2009-12-30 12:59 PM

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river

I'm 11 days away from the Disney race so my taper is in full swing.  Ran two miles yesterday hit the weights and tried to swim a few laps.  I was so exhausted from getting only 3 hours the night before and the upper body workout, that after 4 laps, I called it a day.

I also got some new shoes (Kayano 15s).  I've been in them for about a week and am starting to get a little worried about my left knee.  Its been a little sore to the inside, and I'm afraid the shoe change is what did it.  The shoes feel great and fit perfectly, so maybe its just one of those little tweaks.  Thoughts anyone?  I'm coming off a pair of Nike's that served me well, but now have well over 500 miles on them and are long past their prime.  Both shoes are neutral stability shoes, so I'm not sure.

2009-12-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2572399

User image

New user

I just a took a short trip to San Francisco for the holidays and im glad to see Im in the group, Thanks. Im going to the gym today and get set up there for the next 90 days. Im really looking forward to beginning my workouts. I when i get a minute, i'll check back in and set up my training log.
RAME
2009-12-30 1:12 PM

User image

Mammoth Lakes

Apparantly,  I have contracted the chickenpox.  Although rare, it appears that you can get it twice.  between wanting to scratch like a cat at a catnip pole and long feverish naps, I will try to stay up with the forum...  Doctor says that I may be out of commission anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.  I am hoping for 2 days but I have it pretty bad so I am stealing myself for 2 weeks.  

I hope everyone else is surviving the holidays!

Rochelle

2009-12-30 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2584398

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
wyldhair - 2009-12-30 1:12 PM

Apparantly,  I have contracted the chickenpox.  Although rare, it appears that you can get it twice.  between wanting to scratch like a cat at a catnip pole and long feverish naps, I will try to stay up with the forum...  Doctor says that I may be out of commission anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.  I am hoping for 2 days but I have it pretty bad so I am stealing myself for 2 weeks.  

Rochelle

Thats tough...  If it makes you feel any better, I got my first ever case of jock itch about 10 days before my race in Ireland.  I'm a little anal retentive when it comes to neatness and cleanliness, so I really didn't know what it was at first.  I was bathing with hydrogen peroxide and alcohol which wasn't fun either.  But thats what I get for running 10 miles, sitting in the steam room, then going for groceries before taking a shower.  It took 27 hours to get to the race location and the next day was rather uncomfortable.  Everything that could go wrong before that race, did. 
2009-12-30 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2584398

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
wyldhair - 2009-12-30 2:12 PM

Rochelle

Bummer, I hope your recovery is closer to the 2 days.

My husband never had chicken pox until he was in his 20's and I was pregnant with our son.  Of all the times he could have gotten it, he got it when I was pregnant and he had to be as far away from me as possible.  He was miserable, and said it's much worse when you get it as an adult.  He's a big baby when it comes to being sick though, so I'm not sure that's actually true or if he was feeding me a line.

Hope you feel better soon.
2009-12-30 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2584366

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-30 1:59 PM

I'm 11 days away from the Disney race so my taper is in full swing.  Ran two miles yesterday hit the weights and tried to swim a few laps.  I was so exhausted from getting only 3 hours the night before and the upper body workout, that after 4 laps, I called it a day.

I also got some new shoes (Kayano 15s).  I've been in them for about a week and am starting to get a little worried about my left knee.  Its been a little sore to the inside, and I'm afraid the shoe change is what did it.  The shoes feel great and fit perfectly, so maybe its just one of those little tweaks.  Thoughts anyone?  I'm coming off a pair of Nike's that served me well, but now have well over 500 miles on them and are long past their prime.  Both shoes are neutral stability shoes, so I'm not sure.

Does Nike still make the model shoe you have been wearing?  If yes, I would buy a pair as soon as you can and break them in a bit before your race.  I don't know that the Kayanos are your problem, but I wouldn't take a chance and end up injured and/or having a bad race.  After the race you can run in them again and see if that is what is causing you the pain.

We expect a full race report when you get back!  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

2009-12-30 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2585233

User image

Regular

karen26.2 - 2009-12-30 8:45 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-30 1:59 PM

Does Nike still make the model shoe you have been wearing?  If yes, I would buy a pair as soon as you can and break them in a bit before your race.  I don't know that the Kayanos are your problem, but I wouldn't take a chance and end up injured and/or having a bad race.  After the race you can run in them again and see if that is what is causing you the pain.

We expect a full race report when you get back!  Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Dustin,

I agree with Karen. I'd rather run the race in the Nike shoes and break the Asics in after the race.

Although they are both neutral shoes, they are nevertheless different, e.g. material, cut, etc. Furthermore, well, one pair is new the other one used.

So it might be that your pain is coming from the new shoes.

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2582531

User image

Regular

GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-29 3:26 PM
YouYou - 2009-12-27 7:57 PM

GorgeousGeorge - 2009-12-23 1:29 PM
wyldhair - 2009-12-22 11:53 AM
But in the meantime, I have goal setting exercise I want you to think about.  A goal actually has many parts and we often don't take the time to set them much less realize what makes up the our own goals.  The who, what, and whys of our own wants.    

Take a few minutes to think about what you want to achieve in the next few months,  when you are going to do it, and most importantly the reason you are doing it.  I want everyone to post back to me at least one goal statement with these 3 things in the goal. 

To make it easier for you I suggest that you start with " I want to... because....", the time frame usually will naturally insert itself.

This is something I need help with.  I have no idea what to expect, therefore any goal that I list would be like saying I want to get to the ocean while standing in the middle of the desert with a blindfold on and plugs in my ears. 

I’m familiar with a bike and I swam a good bit in High School (not competitive – I was a life guard).  I’m faster than most beginners and probably in better shape than most, but I’m still a rookie and self-admittedly clueless about training.  My Half- Marathon time is 1:30 and my full is 3:30.  I want to be faster.  Faster than what …. I don’t know.  I do know that I don’t want to “just finish”  Anything I do, I want to be competitive.  Not saying I want to place, but be competitive.  Suggestions?

Hello Dustin,

1:30 for a half; you are most definitly in much better shape than most!

Joe Friel talks a lot about setting goals in his book "The Triathlete Training Bible".

His priciples for setting goals are:

1) Your goal must be measurable

2) Your goal must be under your control (e.g. saying "I want to win my age group", seems like a good goal, but what do you do if a bunch of genetic freaks à la Chrissie Wellington are turning up?)

3) Your goal must stretch you (but don't confuse goals with dreams - If I said " I would like to run a half in 1:30", this would rather be a dream than a goal)

4) Your goal must be stated in the positive.

Hope that helps a little bit!

Take care

YouYou

Thanks for the advice, YouYou.  Btw, what is the story behind your handle? 

The Disney Marathon is in 12 days.  My main goal for that weekend is for Alabama to win the National Title.  Priorities first.  My second goal for this one is to just enjoy it and remain injury free.  I’m not trying to pr so anything sub 3:45 will be acceptable to me.  If I feel good at the half way point, I may increase my splits a little and see how my body responds. 

Handle??? Is this my nick name? Checked the dictonary but am still not sure.

In case you really mean my nickname:

The son (about two years old and french) of a friend of mine did not manage to say my name (Jürgen). He used to called me YouYou and the name stuck :-)))

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-31 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2573360

User image

New user

My #1 Goal is to complete the Tri for Fun Sprint triathlon on 6-19-10. Im really not sure about times right now, but the sprint is not timed, so i would be training just finish. Now, I know i will have to get this down to specific times and such, but right now im kinda lost. I need to have some structure for my training and thats why i joined this forum. I found some training plans on the BT site, and its kinda overwhelming at times. so i guess if anyone could suggest a good starting point for me, i would be so grateful...
RAME
2009-12-31 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2586444

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
RAME - 2009-12-31 12:52 PM My #1 Goal is to complete the Tri for Fun Sprint triathlon on 6-19-10. Im really not sure about times right now, but the sprint is not timed, so i would be training just finish. Now, I know i will have to get this down to specific times and such, but right now im kinda lost. I need to have some structure for my training and thats why i joined this forum. I found some training plans on the BT site, and its kinda overwhelming at times. so i guess if anyone could suggest a good starting point for me, i would be so grateful...
RAME

Are you looking for help with a training plan for the sprint, or a time goal to shoot for?  If you're looking for a training plan BT has some great plans you can follow.  When I did my first sprint I didn't really follow anything, I had no idea what I was doing.  I just made sure I swam further training than the distance of the race so I knew I could complete that part.  It's one thing to run out of steam during the bike or the run, but if you're in the water and run out you're really in trouble!  I then tried to swim 2 to 3 times per week, bike 3 times per week, and run 3 times per week.  I felt pretty prepared for the first race I did.  If you want more structure pull up one of the sprint plans, I think there are some free ones.

One other thing to think about for your first race, if it's open water and wave start, be prepared for arms and legs flailing around, slapping you, pushing you, dragging you.  I was warned about that and I was glad because they were not kidding, it was crazy.  Also the fact that you can't see the bottom of the lake or whatever your swimming in unless it's a pool was kind of creepy too.  Someone warned me about that as well so I did ok on the swim.

It can be overwhelming, but once you do one race you will know how to better prepare next time.  I still learn something every race I do and think I should have done something slightly different.  So I adjust things the next time.

Do you have any friends training for the same race?  That always helped me.  I actually only started doing tris because a good friend talked me into doing one and I was hooked.

Ask lots of questions, that's why we're here.

BTW - I love your avatar! 
2009-12-31 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2586649

User image

New user

Im looking for help with training , Yea, and thanks for the info about your first sprint. Im really jazzed about training, and this forum is a great help.
The swim is in a lake, but it will be my toughest area to work on. and i read about the starts... crazy lol.
Im back in the gym and kinda working off the rust right now, and i feel pretty good. I run with my wife lora and she is a great running partner, but no one i know even wants to think about doing a tri lol...
thanks for the help, Im going to be asking alot of questions.

2009-12-31 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2586444

User image

Regular

RAME - 2009-12-31 12:52 PM My #1 Goal is to complete the Tri for Fun Sprint triathlon on 6-19-10. Im really not sure about times right now, but the sprint is not timed, so i would be training just finish. Now, I know i will have to get this down to specific times and such, but right now im kinda lost. I need to have some structure for my training and thats why i joined this forum. I found some training plans on the BT site, and its kinda overwhelming at times. so i guess if anyone could suggest a good starting point for me, i would be so grateful...

RAME

Hello Rame,

Don't get discouraged. Starting a new sport is always kind of confusing.  The internet and sites like BT can be a great help, but as well a curse, as the information and the different opinions might be confusing and overwhelming.

There is a risk to not see the wood for the trees. So next paragraph might sound pretty dumb, but I think it is sometimes important to step back and look at the big picture.

Triathlon = Swimming, Biking, Running

Sprint Triathlon competition: 750 m of swimming, 20 km of biking, 5 of running. This is your reality. In June you need to be capable of doing that!

Looking at your profile, I guess that the running part is the easiest for you.

Biking: might be a bit more complex. Do you have a bike? In the beginning it is absolutely fine to do your bike segment on road bike, Mountain Bike, Hybrid Bike, whatever is in your garage.

Swimming: well, this is very often the most difficult one, as it is as well the most technical sport of the three. If possible, I would recommend taking a few sessions with a swim coach to give you a kick start. Tell him exactly what you want (e.g. no interest in Butterfly, and Back Stroke, that you need to be able to swim 750m, etc.). And then comes the tough part: you just need to hang in. I found swimming in the beginning the most frustrating. I was almost drowning after 50 yards, but if you keep going to the pool there will be a point where it is kind of breakthrough.

Given that you need to train for three sports, I would try to train for each sport twice a week.

I would not worry too much about transition techniques, buying an expensive bike, etc.

A book, which gives you a good overview, is "My first triathlon" by Joe Friel. If you are serious and really interested, you could buy the "Triahtlete's Training Bible" by the same author, but I would recommend to buy it later, as it might be more confusing than helpful in the beginning.

There is an okay book by Gale Bernhard, too.

Take care

YouYou

2009-12-31 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2586751

User image

New user

Thanks for the encouragement, YouYou. A little perspective sure does help.I found "The Triathletes Training Bible" at my local Thrift store for $1.98 and I think it did confuse me a bit. I will pick up the other book,"My First Triathlon" and give it a read.
I have a pool near by and also a small lake with a swim center, so I'm going go over there and get the info on the hours/fees.
As far as a bike goes, I had my mountain bike stolen last summer and looking to purchase a used one for now. I'm in the gym now and riding the bikes in there.
Thanks again for the reality check...
RAME

2010-01-01 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2587061

User image

New user
RAME - 2009-12-31 5:54 PM Thanks for the encouragement, YouYou. A little perspective sure does help.I found "The Triathletes Training Bible" at my local Thrift store for $1.98 and I think it did confuse me a bit. I will pick up the other book,"My First Triathlon" and give it a read.
I have a pool near by and also a small lake with a swim center, so I'm going go over there and get the info on the hours/fees.
As far as a bike goes, I had my mountain bike stolen last summer and looking to purchase a used one for now. I'm in the gym now and riding the bikes in there.
Thanks again for the reality check...
RAME

Hey RAME,

Do you have a YMCA near you. It's a pretty decent place to get the swim going without breaking the bank. I never very well. We are a single income family with two kids so I am not the most well funded Triathlete out there. As far as the bike is concerned I want to help you avoid making a big mistake I made. When I first got interested in doing a Duathlong and eventually a Triathlon I needed a bike too. So I started looking around. Realizing that getting a decent road bike required a decent about of money I started looking at other options and ended up buying a Trek Hybrid. FX 7.2. It was a great bike and I figured This will work for me until I really get into the sport. I got out on the bike knowing nothing about cycling and felt like I was flying. Then Duathlon day came. Finished the first run 7ths overall. then the cycling leg I fell back to 57th out of 64 and got back up to 31st overall on the second run. I know it's not about beating other people but I was getting passed by EVERYONE on my hybrid and it was aggrivating. I almost yelped when a guy went wipping past me on his road bike with a 78 on his right calf for his age. I felt SLOW on that bike during the race and while I know that it has alot to do with the rider I just wasnt happy with the hybrid and ended up selling it for a fraction of what I payed. I do strongly recommend you invest in a decent road bike. After a few months of searching I finally found a 2007 Felt S32 Time Trial Bike at a Bike shop in NH and LOVE it. After a few days of haggling on the price I managed to pick it up for 650.00 with the bike computer (which I have been told is a good deal). If you look long enough you can find a decent bike on a good bike. Just stay away from the hybrid/mountain bikes. You wont be happy with it. I used to average 15 MPH on the hybrid and I now average between 21-22mph on the Felt.  Just some food for though.

On a side note-
Does anyone know of some good swimming drills? I look like a frightened monkey when I swim and really cant afford lessons atm.

Thanks guys!
2010-01-02 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hey SpyGuy -

Great advice on the bike purchase.

Does your YMCA have a masters swim class?  The one I used to belong to has an early morning class a few times a week.  That would be a great place to get some swim workouts.  I have since switched to another place for masters swimming, but I take the workout sheets home and when I go swim solo I grab one of the sheets and do a masters workout.

Most master's swim coaches will also offer advice and help with your form.  I found it a little intimidating at first, but realized there are swimmers of all abilities there.  It has helped me a great deal with form and more importantly motivation.  Swimming is one thing I have a hard time doing on my own.  I can bike and run alone, but need a group for motivation when it comes to swimming.
2010-01-02 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
For swim drills, try this site -

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_swim/tno_swimarticle_08.asp

It's got some good tips.

2010-01-02 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2588036

User image

New user

Im finding out that buying a bike isnt that easy. I rode MB for a few years and never felt so lost as when i started looking for a road bike. I'm going to keep looking and keep my eyes open for the right bike. Im always a lil worried im going to look foolish out there, but thats just my ego. you guys are the best, thanks for alll the feedback.
RAME
2010-01-03 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brrr!

What's everyone else doing today?
2010-01-03 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2590703

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-01-03 12:23 PM Trying to motivate myself to get out side for a run.  It was 17 degrees with wind chill factor of I don't know what this morning.  It's now made it's way into the 20's.  Brrr!

What's everyone else doing today?

I ran 8 yesterday, it was 25.  As per usual after the first 4 or 5 min. its not all that bad.  I took everyone's advice on the shoes.  I'm wearing my old ones for these last two weeks and will wear them to race in next Sunday.  My legs felt fine yesterday after the run, so I'm thinking I'll be alright.
2010-01-03 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2587061

User image

Regular

RAME - 2009-12-31 6:54 PM Thanks for the encouragement, YouYou. A little perspective sure does help.I found "The Triathletes Training Bible" at my local Thrift store for $1.98 and I think it did confuse me a bit. I will pick up the other book,"My First Triathlon" and give it a read.

Hi Rame,

$1.98 - that's a steal!!!

BT just has a kind of "Beginner article" on its start page. You might want to have a look at it:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1918

The "Training Bible" is a very comprehensive book and for that reason might be a bit confusing. Instead of presenting a Trainingplan, it helps an athlete to work on his goals, limiters, strengths, races, and with these things in mind to establish a yearly training plan.

These are the books, which I would recommend for a beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/Your-First-Triathlon-Joe-Friel/dp/1931382859/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262561561&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Training-Four-Hours-Week/dp/1579547486/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262561561&sr=1-7

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Workout-Planner-John-Mora/dp/0736059059/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262561673&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Triathlon-Training-Basics-Gale-Bernhardt/dp/1931382255/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262561691&sr=1-3

Take care

YouYou

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17