of 8

2009-12-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2575024

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Group - CLOSED
Hi Everyone,

OK, let's get a little side tracked!  Since we've got a lot of hockey lovers in the group, has anyone been watching the World Junior Championships?  I've watched a few games and I hate to admit it, but that darn team Canada is looking pretty strong!  However, the I'm really looking forward to the US vs. Canada game tomorrow night.  Canada has to be considered the favorite based on their previous games, but it should be a great game.  I'm going to predict a 5-2 Canada victory, but GO USA!  Smile

I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to watch that game (8pm EST tomorrow night) and then go to bed to be ready for my 10K race in the morning, but I don't think my girlfriend is gonna let me off that easy considering its new year's eve.

2009-12-30 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2583552

User image

Regular
Port Moody
How can I not jump in on that,
Canada does look strong but the US is also 3-0, I think the preliminary rounds are just that Prelim, I feel bad for some of those teams that have face the powerhouses like Can,US,Russ,Swed. Scores of 16-0 14-1 and such is just not good for any tournement. Lets not forget they are just kids. That Schroeder kid looks good for the US,It should be a good game tho. I think it will be a little closer, if Canada takes to many penalties they could find themselves in the soup. I hope they don't wear those green sweaters again....
4-2 final Canada
almost finished my new schedule after some tweaking, I will post it later Colin.
2009-12-30 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2583552

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Should definitely be a decent game.  At least we can expect it to be more competitive than either team's first 3 games!  I'll put my guess out there and give Canada the 3-0 shutout.  I was born in NY, so I always pull a little for US teams, but I've been in Canada since I was 3 so my heart is with the Canadians

Colin - good luck getting to bed early tomorrow night... I'm sure the gf will be perfectly fine with bringing in the New Year by herself... again, good luck.  haha

I hope you have a good race on the 1st.  I'll use your result as my time to beat on my 10k in April
2009-12-30 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
PS: Happy New Year, everyone!
2009-12-30 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Colin,

Why don't you just tell your GF you want to celebrate NYE using GMT, so it will be over and done with by 7 PM local, and then you can watch the game and go to bed?

You just need to think out of the box.

2009-12-30 7:06 PM

New user

Hi Colin,

Sorry I'm slow with getting back!  Thanks for the feedback,  I was thinking that running a full marathon in May if I was planning for a half im in September might be too much, especially since I pulled a muscle in my calve at 32k last year!  I will plan for a 30k race at the end of march and then adjust my LSD runs to the HIM training.

I'm easing back into my training for January as I've been sick and I'm in the process of arranging some physio for a sore hip and hamstring from the fall racing season.  I'm going to scope  out races for the summer but my goal race will be Muskoka on September 12, 2010.  I was thinking about doing an Olympic in June as my first tri of the season and then possibly a sprint in July and another in August but wanted to get your thoughts on this.

So here's my schedule for the January:

MONTUESWEDTHURSFRISATSUN
SWIM 1.15 HRS.  1 hr. swim  
BIKE 1 hr spin
class
 8k Temp run1 hr. spin class   
RUN   45min treadmill
run (brick)
  12 - 15 K
YOGA1 hr. Power Yoga 1 hr. Power Yoga  1 hr. Yoga 

I need to keep the Yoga in there so that I avoid injury, I also will be doing spinning right now at the gym but will look into rollers for my bike.  I probably need to add a weight day and definitely some abs but this is what I have thus far!  Once I get back into it I will add another run day, get back to hill training on Wednesdays and probably starting April I will be back to doing outdoor brick workouts with friends on Tuesday evenings. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for you help Colin!  Interesting reading everyone, some very ambitious people!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Kathryn

2009-12-30 7:10 PM

New user

I forgot to mention - Jaimie, I live in Toronto and if you end up moving here let me know.  I run out of the High Park Running Room and there are a ton of us, all ages and speeds and there are group runs on Wednesdays and Sundays that you could join.  There are also a group of us that started doing Brick Workouts last summer on Tuesday evenings and the plan is to do it again this year.  Keep it in mind. The more the merrier!

Kathryn
2009-12-30 9:05 PM
in reply to: #2585186

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Kathryn,

No problem at all on the day.  Just glad to help and give you feedback.

For the current training schedule, I think its great for now.  If you're going to go for the HIM, we will need to pickup the running and biking, but this should be great for now.  This is no time to rush back from injury and sickness.  I love to see the 3 sessions of yoga per week.  If you want to add in going to the gym for lifting weights, I would recommend doing it twice a week.  However, if the power yoga is anything like I would expect it to be, this should be pretty solid strength work and weight training would probably be too much.  Like I mentioned above, we may want to get this more tri oriented (more biking and running) in a month or two, but this should do you well while you're getting back into it.

As for the race schedule, I'm not sure I would set it up this way.  If you working towards a HIM, we should consider moving up the ladder as the season progresses.  I would start with a sprint in June and then maybe some Olys or at least 1 Oly a few weeks before the HIM.  Any race will be great training, but Olys will be better preparation than sprints.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
2009-12-30 9:15 PM
in reply to: #2585061

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
LOL, I love it Patrick.  I'll give the GMT time a shot, but we'll see how that goes.  Sure sounds great to me!

Yeah, I agree with you Dave.  I'm surprised to see how much stronger the top teams are than the weaker teams.  I don't remember the tournament ever being this lop sided.  Nonetheless, from tomorrow night on, the games are should be great!  As for the big US vs. Canada game, I'm confident it will be very close for at least the first 2 periods.  However, with Canada having more depth, they're break it open in the 3rd.  I certainly hope I'm wrong, but we'll see. 

As for your prediction Jason, Canada definitely has strong goaltending, but I don't see them pulling off the shutout.  The US has some real scorers and I would be very surprised to see that happen.  However, I am a goaltender and I'd love to see some great goaltending on both sides.

Happy new year everyone!
2009-12-31 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2579311

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Group - OPEN

Colin,

I started using this swim plan this week and it seems to be working well so far.  I feel quite good in the water and the workouts challenge me, although they are by no means too hard.

I will be following Jorge's plan for sure as well as the training plan link you gave me.  It essentially works out to this.

Mon              Tue                      Wed               Thu            Fri          Sat           Sun

Swim       45 min test                    35 min "long Swim"         Technique/Power (1hr

Bike                        Wk1 Day3 Jorge (1hr)              Wk2 Day2 Jorge                    Long Ride (1-2hrs)

Run

As mentioned earlier I am not running because of leg soreness.  I am thinking of taking one more week off of running and trying to get back in the 2nd week of January (depending on my legs feel).  This plan puts me around 5-6hrs of training a week right now.  Any recommendations on strength training and/or yoga classes?

Hope everyone has a great and safe NYE.

Matt

2009-12-31 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2586337

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Group - OPEN
Hi Matt,

I think that looks great for now.  Glad to hear you're giving that swim program a try.  Since you're not running right now its great to way to get the heart pumping and work on your endurance.  Once your foot is feeling better, we will probably be able to drop one of the swims as a lot of coaches says not to worry about developing swim stamina during the winter.  However, the winter is a great time to focus on improving your stroke.

Once again I want to stress not rushing back on the foot.  Give it in a week or two and we'll see what happens.  Hopefully it will be fine there, but just keep resting it if it is not.

As for the strength training, that's really your call.  My guess is it wouldn't bother your foot, but I do not do any weight training at this time and you may not need it.  According to Joe Friel, author of the Triathlete's Training Bible, and most endurance coaches, you do not "need" to do weight training until you are at least 30.  However, it certainly won't hurt.  The reason I do not weight train is I feel I am still new enough to the sport that I will benefit more from spending that time swimming, biking, and running.

As for Yoga, I think this would be great for you and may actually really help your foot.  Have you done any yoga before?  Any places in your area that offer it for a reasonable price?  If you're new to yoga, I would recommend signing up for a class so that an instructor can help you with your initial form.  However, I have a couple DVDs I use on days I can't make it to a formal class and on days my gym is not offering a class.  Let me know if you'd like to know the DVDs I have.

Thanks again for getting back to me Matt.  Have a safe new year as well and get that foot healed!

2009-12-31 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Happy New Year everyone.
2009-12-31 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
D/FW, TX
Happy New Year! Here's to a great year of training and tri's!
2009-12-31 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Have great NewYears everyone.
 had a great swim yesterday 1600m and it was easy breezy. Shoulder is feeling really good, Ran today for 45 min and it was the first time in 2 months I had no foot pain at all. Could the 50 year old body actually bouncing back. Time off really helps or just taking it easy. Now to just force myself to get on the trainer,
see you all next year
2010-01-01 7:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
What a game last night... down to the final shot in the shootout!  Just think, in just over a month, we'll be right in the middle of the Olympics! 

I have high hopes for 2010.  In the past few years, I have gotten into road races and tris, but have somehow not yet repeated a distance.  I have done a 5k, a 10k, a 15k, a 1/2 marathon, a full marathon, a sprint tri and an Oly.  This will be the year where I start to repeat distances... let's hope my times improve

Happy New Year, everyone!!
2010-01-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: #2587193

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Happy new everyone!

Congrats on the swim Dave!  Its easy for me to say as a young buck, but you're only as old as you feel!  Keep up the great work!

You really couldn't ask for much more from the game last night!  Well, I supposed a US win would have been nice, but that was an outstanding game!  I hope they meet up again in the finals and I think its looking like that will happen.

I had an awesome race this morning!  My goal was to finish in under 40 minutes (which I hate to admit, but I was a little pessimistic about achieving) and I finished in 39:56!  Really pumped about that.  The results will come out later today, top it should probably put me in the top for the race.  Race report to come after I watch the winter classic with some friends.  Go Bruins!

2010-01-01 3:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Wow... 39:56!  I said that your time would become my goal for my first 10k this year, and I'll stick to that.  My PR so far is 49, but that was with very little training.  I'll have to push myself, but that's what this is all about, right?  I only need to get 1min/km faster... no sweat!
2010-01-01 4:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi everyone,

Happy New Year.

Just an update for the week.  Nothing really to report, I've had a cold, which I'll take over the flu any day but have felt a little weak and unmotivated.

But, I've still managed to get in some running and gym time, I feel something is better than nothing.  And since I use a fever as the go/no go factor for training (and don't have one), I'm doing what I can.

OK, I love college football as much as it seems a lot of you guys like hockey, and I'm a big Oregon fan.  So, off to watch the Rose Bowl.

See ya.

Patrick
2010-01-01 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
To finish off this week, I'll just be doing some strength training at home.  The real fun starts next week.  I'm still trying to sort out the bike trainer thing, but I'll definitely get running next week.   If I can't bike, I'll add a running day.  It will really depend where I end up teaching.  If I stay where I've been, I'll be set (pool, bikes, weights, etc. in the school).  Otherwise, I'll have to improvise.
2010-01-01 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
D/FW, TX
Congrats on the time for the 10k Colin! That's awesome! I have a 10k coming up next Saturday. I haven't done a "short" race in something like 10 years? I'm not sure what to expect, because I've grown so accustomed to the longer distances or running that distance after the swim and bike... I guess I'm going to have to push myself out of a comfort zone and run hard.

In other news, I decided on a Half Iron race! It's the Lonestar Ironman 70.3, which is in Galveston, Texas (www.lonestarironman.com). It's down on the Gulf of Texas, which is about an 8 hour drive from where I live, but not a bad drive. It's on April 25, which is only about 16 weeks away, so I'm extremely excited! I've been reviewing some different training plans and just finished modifying one to fit my work and family schedule.

Hope all is going well for everyone!
-Shannon

2010-01-02 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Hey team

got  a new Garmin 305 today. really cool! love all the data you can look at after your workout. still playing with it trying to figure it out but I like it. anyone else out there use these gadgets for training. How to load it the BT site if possible is my next task.........anyone know how?

2010-01-03 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2590149

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS

I am looking at getting one of those too.  Are you happy with it vs the money that was spent to purchase it?  I had briefly looked at the 310xt, but it is a lot more expensive.  I do like the battery life on the 310xt vs the 305.  However, I don't think it is worth the extra money.  Any thoughts?

2010-01-03 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2588087

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Thanks a lot everyone!  I was really happy with that and now its time to set a new goal.  Jason, I like your goal and that would be great if you could achieve that time on your 10K.  Train hard and you'll get there!

Thanks for the update Patrick.  Way to fight through that cold!  Its not easy, but I'm sure staying active has helped your cold, assuming you're not pushing too hard.

That is awesome Shannon and congratulations!  I've heard good things about that race and we've gotta decide on a training program asap!  Let me know if you need any help with that.

Congrats on the new training tool Dave.  I have the 310xt and used to have the 305.  I absolutely love my Forerunner and I honestly can't train without.  I actually left my forerunner on my bike during an Oly last year and I was so discombobulated on the run it wasn't even funny.  But as far as training goes, this will be critical for you.  To go the full distance, you have to keep an eye on your heart rate zones which the 305 will help you do among many other things.  As for getting the info uploaded to the BT, you have to download a special add on to do this.  Just go into the section where you add in your workouts, click on the import from Garmin link, and it should link to you to a link to get the add on.

Matt, as for the 305 vs. the 310, I would not say the 310 is worth the extra money.  Yes, it definitely has some advantages/features and the extra battery life is great, but not enough to justify the extra cost.  The purchased it when they were saying that it would calculate your swim distances, but it doesn't.  Nonetheless, I would highly recommend everyone getting one.

Ok everyone, the holiday season is behind us now so its time to get to work. Smile  If we all stick to our programs now, we will be thanking ourselves when were crossing those finish lines!   

2010-01-04 7:45 AM
in reply to: #2591451

User image

Regular
Prairie Village, KS

Got my swim workout in today!  I must say it was a bit tough getting up at 4:45am to get to the pool at 5am.  Luckily Monday's are the only day I have to be at work at 7am so I will only have to do this once a week.  Hope everyone else has a great workout today!

2010-01-04 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2591370

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Hey Matt

I have only had mine for a couple days but I love it. The details are so helpful once you set it up on your PC or mac. It shows you all the info you would ever need to help with your training. HR,pace,elevation,distance and so much more once you break it down. The battery life was the only issue I had before buying it ($170 at Costco) I am still sifting thru it all, the only thing I can't seem to figure out yet(probably not patient enough) is how to view my HR  while running, it only shows up as a small # in the corner. My old eyes can't see that. But otherwize its awesome.Thanks for the reply Colin and yes I do think it will help me greatly with HR Zones once I get it figured out
Dave
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 8