BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-08 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2776784

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
titeloops

Did my 5 miles in 45:07. Thats fast for me!

LOL, whatever it takes to increase that pace!

2010-04-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2776875

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
cjhild - 2010-04-08 11:04 AM
n.k

I logged my longest road ride ever at an hour and 47 minutes.  Though apparently I wasn't going too fast as I only logged 24.3 miles in that time.

That is an awesome ride.  Try not to get caught up in your speed, I have to fight that all the time.  I try to remind myself that speed will come, someday, just look at my run pace.

You are a BRAVE soul to be out there in the dark, I just can't do it.

I will completely agree with you on that.  I'm nervous enough riding during the day.  I suppose there is a nice tranquility about riding in the middle of the night or early morning without hardly any traffic.  I just cannot justify dropping several hundred dollars for a mid level lighting system.

As for today, I am starting Tae Kwon Do with my son.  He's been going for about 8 months now.  I take him and just end up sitting there, watching him.  Decided that if I have to be there with him, I might as well enjoy it with him.  Depending on how I feel when I get home, I may put the bike back on the trainer and log some miles.
2010-04-08 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2776832

User image

Expert
Raleigh
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 9:53 AM
titeloops - 2010-04-08 10:43 AM Goals

1. Learn to interval train.
2. Swim alot.
3. Finish strong in an Oly
4. Finish B2B HIM
5. Super Secret Goal, Finish B2B full IM

I'll start today off with a laugh for everyone. Had a 5 mile run scheduled this am. Got up, has a cup of joe, went to bathroom for my regularly scheduled appointment. Nothing happened. Really weird. Coffee usually does the trick. I thought, Oh well, can't sit here all day. Got ready and headed out for my run. At the 2 mile mark I felt something strange. At the 2.5 mile mark I knew what i was feeling. At the 3 mile mark I new I had to hurry. By the 3.5 mile mark it was a real emergency. At 4 miles I was basically sprinting. I made it home, but just barely. Did my 5 miles in 45:07. Thats fast for me!

That;s funny!  I've been there before!  (I love the super Secret goal!) I'm assuming it is one or the other, right?

Yep. registered for the full, but scared of the swim and full mary. Got a few months, so we'll see.
2010-04-08 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2776860

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
cjhild - 2010-04-08 8:00 AM Do any of you run/walk?  When I first started running I went too far too soon (I know I am the only one who has ever done that) and had a lot of injuries, especially shin splints.  If any of you listen to podcasts I would recommend the IM Talk episodes 190 or 170.  Bobby McGee is a run/walk proponent and his podcast on IM Talk is great.  The jist is you are less prone to injury and can increase mileage much faster with this method.  My biggest challenge is not being embarrassed during the walk portion flailing my arms about. 

I run/walk.  For me, its not as much as avoiding injury as it is about pacing.  I feel like if I run for 8 minutes and then walk for one and I have quick recovery that I can be looking forward to during my running.  Rather than just running at a slower pace the entire time.  That just works better for me.

I usually shoot for run 10 minutes and walk 1, but depending on how I'm doing on that run I may make the ratio smaller.
2010-04-08 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2776903

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 8:09 AM

Damn Noel, where do you live?  Nice work with that ride, you are a better man than I!

Thanks for the encouragement.  I live in Bend, OR.  Which is right smack dab in the middle of Oregon.  About 85,000 people and killer mountain bike trails, skiing, hiking, and canoeing.  Its a great town.

Just saw that it ranked 7th on the best cities to live in to do triathlons. 
2010-04-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2776935

User image

Expert
C-bus
titeloops - 2010-04-08 11:15 AM

Yep. registered for the full, but scared of the swim and full mary. Got a few months, so we'll see.

Today was my strength day, so I went to the gym and took a barbell class with my favorite trainer in the whole wide world.  Man, she's tough!  Tommorow is rest day, (hallelujah) and a 12 mile training run for the 1/2 mary on Saturday. 

I was set on registering for the Sprint Tri in Cleveland to save money, time with family, and sanity, but thanks to my friend titeloops up there...  I may have to change that.  Not to compete, but when others challenge themselves, it makes me want to do it too! 

Thanks, I think...

2010-04-08 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2777139

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sungirl919 - 2010-04-08 11:08 AM
titeloops - 2010-04-08 11:15 AM

Today was my strength day, so I went to the gym and took a barbell class with my favorite trainer in the whole wide world.  Man, she's tough!  Tommorow is rest day, (hallelujah) and a 12 mile training run for the 1/2 mary on Saturday. 

I was set on registering for the Sprint Tri in Cleveland to save money, time with family, and sanity, but thanks to my friend titeloops up there...  I may have to change that.  Not to compete, but when others challenge themselves, it makes me want to do it too! 

Thanks, I think...
Go for it. You can do it!!!!!
2010-04-08 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Veteran
I'm doing an hour SPIN class this evening then I'm going to swim class!  I'm ready to get back out on the road, but Swim class is at 630 Tuedsay and Thursdays for the next 3 weeks so I'm doing the 530 SPIN class so I can make it to the pool on time!

I didn't get up this morning like I'm supposed to...I HAVE to get better about it.  I just HATE mornings!
2010-04-08 12:25 PM

Good Morning!

Sounds like you all have great days planned.  Me, well, I'm doing my c25k thing today, prolly tonite, and I am hoping to get in a quick bike around the neighborhood this afternoon, and if the stars really align, I might sneak off to the gym for a swim.  I was supposed to swim yesterday, but even tho I had the day off from work, the errands were never ending!  I won't stress if I miss the swim tho, I have this upper respitorey, bronchitis, sinus thing that I've been fighting for the last 3 weeks or so and the swimming seems to aggravate it a little.  Its been getting better, its just taking forever!

Kevin, have fun at tae kwon do.  I took it in college for a year or two and started taking it again about a year and half ago and its been so much fun!  I am actually testing for my red belt at the end of April. 
On a nutrition note, thank goodness the easter candy is pretty much gone!  Those damn peeps are my weakness and the bunny brought a ton of them.  Goal for the next two weeks is to log my food and to stay away from the fast food!

Have a great day!
Ronda

eta:  @ Justin, I do the run/walk thing too!  Mainly right now since I'm doing another c25k program but when I finished my first one and was running 30 minutes on the treadmill, I found that I was faster if I ran 9, walked 1, instead of just running straight thru.  I think I needed the mental break of knowing I only had to keep running for so long.  When I ran straight thru, I would get slower and slower until I was jogging at a snails pace.  With the break I feel like I can give a stronger run portion, walk quickly thru that minute to recover and be able to repeat it without dying. 

Edited by Swimfreak17 2010-04-08 12:30 PM
2010-04-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2777386

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
crisi13 - 2010-04-08 10:07 AM I'm doing an hour SPIN class this evening then I'm going to swim class!  I'm ready to get back out on the road, but Swim class is at 630 Tuedsay and Thursdays for the next 3 weeks so I'm doing the 530 SPIN class so I can make it to the pool on time!

I didn't get up this morning like I'm supposed to...I HAVE to get better about it.  I just HATE mornings!

I'm a morning person, so I admit its easier for me to get up than others.  That said, three things I do to help me ensure that I'm going to wake up and work out as planed:
  1. Lay out my clothes for the work out (and for work) the night before.  That way all I have to do is roll out of bed, hit the bathroom, and fall into my clothes.  And having my clothes for worked laid out means when I get back from my workout I have less to do to get to work on time.
  2. Before going asleep I lay in bed and think about (and even visualize) my workout goal for the next day.  This helps me because as soon as I wake up my workout is on my mind.
  3. Have breakfast pre-made.  I make up 5 breakfast burritos on Sunday afternoon and keep them in a baggie so than all I have to do is heat them up individually in the micro.  It makes getting to work post-workout on time that much easier.
2010-04-08 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hi everyone!

I am working on my training log although it is taking some time to navigate around.  I have not figured out how to add everyone just yet.  Brian thanks for taking on this task. 

Swam my longest this morning without stopping. 1,600 yards in 40 minutes.  Hurray!  7 weeks ago I could not do 50 yards.  I hope this forum helps all of us.

Has anyone used a tri suit versus separate shorts and a top?  If sso what are the pros and cons?

I have another sprint coming in a few weeks and need some proper clothing.
Have A great day

TomWink

2010-04-08 1:09 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
Hope to get in my second run this week with my wife tonight.  last week of doing some walking.  next week will take the plunge into just jogging/running for 35 minutes two times with a 50 minute run/jog on the weekend.  Yeah!!!
2010-04-08 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2777437

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-08 1:25 PM
crisi13 - 2010-04-08 10:07 AM I'm doing an hour SPIN class this evening then I'm going to swim class!  I'm ready to get back out on the road, but Swim class is at 630 Tuedsay and Thursdays for the next 3 weeks so I'm doing the 530 SPIN class so I can make it to the pool on time!

I'm a morning person, so I admit its easier for me to get up than others.  That said, three things I do to help me ensure that I'm going to wake up and work out as planed:
  1. Lay out my clothes for the work out (and for work) the night before.  That way all I have to do is roll out of bed, hit the bathroom, and fall into my clothes.  And having my clothes for worked laid out means when I get back from my workout I have less to do to get to work on time.
  2. Before going asleep I lay in bed and think about (and even visualize) my workout goal for the next day.  This helps me because as soon as I wake up my workout is on my mind.
  3. Have breakfast pre-made.  I make up 5 breakfast burritos on Sunday afternoon and keep them in a baggie so than all I have to do is heat them up individually in the micro.  It makes getting to work post-workout on time that much easier.

Hook us up with that recepie!  Sounds like an awesome idea!  I lay out everything for the next morning too, pop in the contacts, brush teeth and head out. Don't have to worry about anything!  Oh yeah, getting to bed early is good too.  I try to hit the sack by 9:30PM, my wife thinks I'm crazy!  I rather sleep than watch TV, because then I start to eat.
2010-04-08 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2777386

User image

Expert
NW NJ
crisi13 - 2010-04-08 1:07 PM I'm doing an hour SPIN class this evening then I'm going to swim class!  I'm ready to get back out on the road, but Swim class is at 630 Tuedsay and Thursdays for the next 3 weeks so I'm doing the 530 SPIN class so I can make it to the pool on time!

What kind of swim class are you taking?

Getting up in the mornings is an acquired taste, or kinda like pop songs, sucks at first, but if you hear /do them enough, you start to enjoy it.
2010-04-08 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2777431

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-08 1:25 PM Good Morning!

Kevin, have fun at tae kwon do.  I took it in college for a year or two and started taking it again about a year and half ago and its been so much fun!  I am actually testing for my red belt at the end of April. 

Have a great day!
Ronda

Ronda, I'm actually looking forward to it.  I've been working with my son since he started, doing the required forms, techniques, etc.  I know enough right now I could probably test for a yellow belt.  We recently had a couple of the older kids test for their red belts.  Breaking boards is scary enough, that was until they brought out the bricks.  Two bricks with a palm strike and they both did it.
2010-04-08 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2777431

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Swimfreak17

thank goodness the easter candy is pretty much gone!

It is Cadbury Creme Eggs and Reese's eggs for me.  The stores need to run out quickly.

2010-04-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2777508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Tkimble01

Swam my longest this morning without stopping.

Congrats!  That is a great feeling.
2010-04-08 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2777508

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-08 1:40 PM Hi everyone!

I am working on my training log although it is taking some time to navigate around.  I have not figured out how to add everyone just yet.  Brian thanks for taking on this task. 

Swam my longest this morning without stopping. 1,600 yards in 40 minutes.  Hurray!  7 weeks ago I could not do 50 yards.  I hope this forum helps all of us.

Has anyone used a tri suit versus separate shorts and a top?  If sso what are the pros and cons?

I have another sprint coming in a few weeks and need some proper clothing.
Have A great day

TomWink

Nice work on the swim Tom! It's milestones like this that motivate us to go further/harder!  Keep Swimming!

Personally, I'm a shorts and top guy.  I can't get down with the one piece, mainly because I harrased my little brothers in High School about those wresteling singlets (they were both wrestlers) and still do to this day.  I fell if I start wearing a tri suit is eerily similar and will be very hypocritical, and they will never let me hear the end of it.
UnderArmour just started selling tri shorts and top, mens only and only in black, but I'm a big UA fan and thinking about picking it up for this season.
2010-04-08 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2777437

User image

Veteran
n.k - 2010-04-08 1:25 PM

Great ideas!  I do lay out my clothes the night before and pack my gym bag...it's just when the alarm goes off, I snooze for "10 more minutes" and then get up an hour or so later!  I'm GOING to get better about it!

Please hook us up with the recipe for the burritos!!!  That sounds good!
2010-04-08 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2777664

User image

Veteran
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 2:18 PM

Getting up in the mornings is an acquired taste, or kinda like pop songs, sucks at first, but if you hear /do them enough, you start to enjoy it.

I'm taking an Adult Beginner Swim class.  I know how to swim, but I only know the crawl and I'm scared of the water!  However, I did swim with my face in the water at my first class on Tuesday night, so I'm already getting better!!!  I am sooooo excited!

Ugh...mornings...I CAN DO IT!
2010-04-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2777653

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 11:15 AM
  1. Have breakfast pre-made.  I make up 5 breakfast burritos on Sunday afternoon and keep them in a baggie so than all I have to do is heat them up individually in the micro.  It makes getting to work post-workout on time that much easier.

Hook us up with that recepie!  Sounds like an awesome idea!  I lay out everything for the next morning too, pop in the contacts, brush teeth and head out. Don't have to worry about anything!  Oh yeah, getting to bed early is good too.  I try to hit the sack by 9:30PM, my wife thinks I'm crazy!  I rather sleep than watch TV, because then I start to eat.

Honestly, I'm not sure how healthy it is, but I'll share the recipe and see what you guys think. 

First, I take a package of fresh mushrooms and a few cloves of garlic chopped up and begin sauteing them in veggie oil.  After the mixture is good and brown, I add some Morning Star veggie 'ground beef.'  Then I stir in 8 eggs that I have pre-scrambled up in a bowl.  I scramble the eggs with the shrooms garlic, and 'beef' until the eggs are cooked throughout.  Then I lay out five tortillas and divide the eggs and stuff evenly onto the tortillas.  I add some Mexican cheese blend to each tortilla, wrap 'em up like a burrito, and put them in a big plastic bag.  Each morning after my workout I pop a burritto in the micro for 1:30 and have my breakfast ready to go.  If I'm driving to work I often just bring the burrito on a plate and eat it on the way.  Makes my mornings much easier.

2010-04-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2777779

User image

Expert
NW NJ
crisi13 - 2010-04-08 3:00 PM

I'm taking an Adult Beginner Swim class.  I know how to swim, but I only know the crawl and I'm scared of the water!  However, I did swim with my face in the water at my first class on Tuesday night, so I'm already getting better!!!  I am sooooo excited!

I once read this quote somewhere here on BT...
"To get better at running, run more
To get better at biking, bike more
To get better at swimming, take lessons"

Truer words have never been spoken!

The Snooze button was invented by Satan himself!   Hate that thing! so damn tempting!
2010-04-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2777927

User image

Expert
Raleigh
mchubri` - 2010-04-08 2:50 PM
crisi13 - 2010-04-08 3:00 PM

I once read this quote somewhere here on BT...
"To get better at running, run more
To get better at biking, bike more
To get better at swimming, take lessons"

Truer words have never been spoken!

The Snooze button was invented by Satan himself!   Hate that thing! so damn tempting!

My swim coach says that if you want learn how to run, meet meet at 8:00am and by 8:15 you'll know how to run. If you want to learn to bike, meet me at 8:00 and by 8:30 you will know how to bike. If you want to learn to swim, meet me at 8:00 am and in about 5 years you'll have it mastered.

2010-04-08 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Hey all

What really helped me with the swim was a web site called swim smooth.  www.swimsmooth.com.  Check it out.  If you sign up you get free advice Emails on different aspects of swimming.  it has a great animation from various angles on correct swim stroke, breathing, etc.  If you try it let me know what you think.  Also what made an amazing difference for me was the correct breathing.  The site recommends breathing continuosly.  In other words do not hold air in the lungs.  the more and longer you hold it in causes buildup of CO2.

Hope this adds a bit to the group
Tom 

2010-04-08 4:36 PM

Veteran
boy, I need to catch up!!!

Goals for the next few months:
  • First mini sprint at pool on April 18
  • Continue to log my nutrition (have not lost weight yet, but body fat% is down and clothes feel looser, whenever I do not log, I over eat or eat junk)
  • Try to take an extra 4th day of swimming
  • Stick to my training plan
  • S/B/R at least 3x/week
  • Be patient, improvement will come!!
  • Hit the sack early so I can wake up to do my training!!!Yell

Edited by Chezz 2010-04-08 4:38 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27