BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Melindy's Mentor Group--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-04-18 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2799258

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Melindy's Mentor Group--OPEN
Zap - 2010-04-18 7:58 AM
Hi All, hope there is room for one LOCAL (Beaumont) absolute tri rookie.

NAME:
Zap / Kim Zap

STORY: I'm from Beaumont, AB which is about 10 km's from Edmonton.  I've been interested in tri's since high school when my best friend completed the Canadian IM, 20 years later, I have made a resolution to complete the Canadian IM before my 40th birthday, have just over 15 months to achieve this goal.  I had started training a couple years ago but my back was acting up worse than the constant pain I had had for several years previous.  Today, I am 8 weeks post back surgery, L5-S1 fusion and feel amazing.  Dr's has cleared my to start riding and swimming but no running til July.  Luckily running is my forte, biking is very good and swimming....what did I read earlier...drowning in a forward motion.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 6 years, two kids, (2 and 4)
CURRENT TRAINING: As mentioned above, I just got back onto my bike this past week, hoping to start riding to work on the University campus within the next several weeks (30km each way)  As for swimming, I think I will wait until my cardio get back up to a decent level.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: For my very first tri, I am going for the Banff Sprint in September.

WEIGHTLOSS: Since having back problems and reduced training, I have put on 15-20 lbs but am confident that will be shed quite quickly, was at 175 lbs in my running peak.

WHY I NEED A GOOD MENTOR: I am a complete tri rookie, I need all the help I can get and especially on the swimming side of things. 

Hope there is room for one more in this group and I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers, Kim

YAY!!!! We are pretty much neighbors as far as BT is concerned! Welcome Kim!

Good for you for starting up tri! Glad you are feeling good after surgery.

I actually know quite a few people from Beaumont! Went to school with them at the U (well technically still go to school with them at the U, but we are all scattered between different programs now--med, MSc., physio)

I will probably be doing the Banff Tri as well! I'm currently in the process of convincing some people in my class to do it with me, so we will see what happens.

2010-04-18 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2770120

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Melindy's Mentor Group--CLOSED!
Okay guys! The group has now been filled with the addition of Kim! Welcome again to everyone! I'm excited to have the group for the spring/summer.

Hopefully everyone's Sunday is going well! I definately slept in again...I stayed up reading last night (non-medical literature..haha). I'm a little concerned about getting everything together in time to move to Victoria in 3 weeks with being gone the weekend after next for the Vancouver Half Marathon and having 2 finals when I get back...and a tri the day before I leave planned...hmmm...we will see what happens...
2010-04-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2799524

User image

Regular
Hi guys,

welcome to the new additions Smile

I did my marathon today and had a total nightmare Cry
Aimed for sub4 but it went to ratsh*t at mile 14 and got 4:49 !!

couple of days off then plan to start swim/bike training

Not a good day at the office.....
2010-04-18 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2799733

User image

Champion
adbru - 2010-04-18 2:32 PM Hi guys,

welcome to the new additions Smile

I did my marathon today and had a total nightmare Cry
Aimed for sub4 but it went to ratsh*t at mile 14 and got 4:49 !!

couple of days off then plan to start swim/bike training

Not a good day at the office.....

Thats too bad That second half must have been brutal! How was the course? Hilly?
2010-04-19 7:15 AM
in reply to: #2798969

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Melindy's Mentor Group--OPEN
Guess I should have actually signed my name! Its Michaelann (yes, you read it right, no my parents didn't want a boy Smile)

Had a decent training weekend - I've been having some trouble with open water swimming and had a great day Saturday, did a total of 1.25 miles, .5 mile of that without stopping. The rest of it I did about .25 mile 3x with some breaks in between.  My race next week is .3, so I am finally feeling confident about being able to make it that far without a panic attack (physically, the distance is not a problem, I can do miles and miles in the pool - the open water thing has been a huge mental challenge for me)  I also got in a couple short runs and fixed my blown out bike tire all by myself.

So my first tri is in 5 days. I'm kind of panicking. I already couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. I've been making lists and obsessively checking the weather. Its going to be a long week. 

Edited to add...not tri related, but I just found out I got accepted to transfer to the university with the geology program I wanted!  This is definitely going to be a week to remember!

Edited by mademille 2010-04-19 11:40 AM
2010-04-20 7:14 AM

New user

australia
Hi everyone, hope you are all having a good week.
Well the ice has been broken, I finally have become a baby triathlete.  Real thrilled with it all as although I placed 77/80 in my age category, I placed 256/792 in overall women's category. Again, I know I can't do huge runs like the rest of you, but I am hooked completely.
I won't bore you with my times etc as my race was only 300m swim/10km cycle/2.5km run but I was really happy with my placement and learnt swimming is def my worst leg (hard yakka having asthma play up 100metres in).
Bike would have been great if
a) didn't ride new bike - not enough hours in saddle for that baby
b) wheel did not fall off
c) lovely official that got it back on for me (after I lost 8 - 10 mins) had it on straight and I didn't ride 10km with wheel half out and rubbing on body the whole time , don't laugh but didn't discover that I effectively rode it with rear wheel drag until after ride completed.
But I found out running is def my forte. I even caught a few people on the run.
So here I am having learnt my swim needs a lot of work. I found it so hard to keep breathing under control. Any suggestions on that one? I have until October until our tri season starts again so have time on my side. Am making do with smaller events over the break to test my stamina.
Have a great day everybody

2010-04-20 9:52 PM

Dolores, CO
Gratz fee prince on finishing your first tri!!

You are one up on me, I swim like a rock, I will be working on it after this weekends event.

2010-04-20 10:06 PM

User image

New user

Has anyone here tried the total immersion method of swimming? Like I said before swimming is new to me I watched the 3  perpetual motion vids on this site and started training with the methods suggested. I even went as far as to buy one of the DVD's on the total immersion site. So far things are going ok but I am still learning and SLOW. Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else has tried this method, and if so any tips for me on perfecting my form.
2010-04-21 1:20 AM

New user

australia
Thanks Jonkj,
your encouragement is appreciated.
I think you will be awesome in your event this week. You've put in some serious training and your body will remember this. As for swimming like a rock, if you could see my family video you would wet yourself laughing. I have style (just one all of my own lol) Is it three more days for you? I get confused with the time difference.
Good luck, can't wait to hear how you went.
What's everyone else up to?
Next one for me is a 8km fun run in two weeks. Am going to work on sprints in this
This one is for fun although I have some friends new to running that want to benchmark themselves against me. Crazy I know but they haven't done this before and I am a competitive little buggar!
Take care all x
2010-04-21 7:20 AM

New user

australia
Mademille,
just wanted to wish you luck for your first tri, have fun and savour the day.
 You'll be on a high for days after, enjoy every moment!

Edited by fee prince 2010-04-21 7:22 AM
2010-04-22 6:07 AM
in reply to: #2806370

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
fee prince - 2010-04-21 7:20 AM Mademille,
just wanted to wish you luck for your first tri, have fun and savour the day.
 You'll be on a high for days after, enjoy every moment!

Thanks! I'm pretty nervous right now, stressing a lot about the weather (though I am trying really hard not to!) 30-40% chance of thunderstorms. Not the conditions I wanted for my first race!

Michaelann

2010-04-22 8:14 AM

User image

Regular
All the best for your first tri, my first was a real shock to the system !!

I've now had my 2 days sulking after my carp marathon, 5 miles on the bike with my new clipless pedals....
And I didnt fall over !  lol.

2010-04-22 8:49 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Good morning everyone. Am I glad my work week is over. Good grief. Anyways....looking forward to a nice weekend of training. 

Mademille, Congrats and good luck on your 1st triathlon.  I became a triathlete for the 1st time today in 2007. All indoor, after that I became completely hooked, went home and signed up for 7 more  

I am planning a long bike this weekend. 56 miles. It will actually be the 70.3 course I'll be doing in September. Managed to talk a friend into coming with me.  Will be my longest ride to date. I'm excited!  Sunday I hope to do a wee run with a group of runners from the Balanced athlete that just opened up here.  Running is my least favourite/thing I'm good at, and I think it might help me to be grouped with people the same ability as me.  Fun times.

Anywho. I hope everyone is doing ok and having fun etc etc.  Today is my Friday, so roll on 3 day weekend.

2010-04-22 9:04 PM

Dolores, CO
Good luck on your tri this weekend Michaelann.  Just remember to have fun.

The weather will do what it does my first duathlon was The Dessert Classic Duathlon figured for some fairly warm temperatures but it rained until the race was almost over but it was all good.

Did a 5 mile run yesterday and 15 miles on the trainer today...I will work on the km conversion later.

2010-04-24 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
good luck anyone wit races this weekend  Its been a bit crazy with school lately!! Hope everyone is well!
2010-04-25 1:25 PM

User image

Champion
Hope your race went well Michaelann! Im sure you are hooked now

Got to do a whole bunch of laundry and get some packing done...o ya..so excited! 2 more weeks till Victoria! 1 more week till Van half marathon!  

2010-04-26 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2815077

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Well, the weekend didn't go so well

My first race was a bust.  Long story...weather didn't cooperate, wind started gusting to 35mph 10 min before the start. They delayed a while, then canceled the swim and turned the bike into a time trial start. I would have swam in those conditions, I was devastated when they canceled it.  But what really scared me was the 35+mph crosswind gusts and a MUCH more crowded bike course due to the time trial start. I just wasn't ready for that. Plus my poor daughter woke up with a 102 fever that morning. We stopped and got her motrin on the way to the race, and she was a trooper, she never complained, but she wasn't doing well at all. So we packed it up and left.  It was really sad, especially coming home and rubbing those numbers off my arms and throwing away my bib and stuff. But I am 100% comfortable with my decision, no regrets, I know it was the right one for me under the circumstances. I've heard a few reports from people who did the race and it sounds like the bike course was chaos.

So, onto the next one! Signed up for a small, women's only "super sprint" race on Mother's Day in two weeks, then another sprint in 5 weeks.  Moving forward now, had a great day of training yesterday.
2010-04-26 10:01 AM

Dolores, CO
Michaelann, Sorry to hear about the way the race didn't go, hope your daughter feels better soon.

My day went kind of slow.

NAME                   BIB AGE SEXPLC DIV DIVPLC RUN1/RANK RUN1    RUN1/PACE   T1     BIKE/RANK  BIKE     BIKE MPH  T2    
JONATHAN JONES 379 44  M 39  M4044    9               52       53:46    8:41           2:14       55         1:39:03   15.0      1:35  

RUN2/RANK RUN2    RUN2/PACE   TIME     CITY       STATE   EVENT
     65            38:51      12:32    03:15:27  CORTEZ    CO    FAT MAN(ATOMIC MAN)

I was a bit ill on Friday and Saturday morning but felt more than well enough to do the event on Sunday.  The first run it took me almost the first 5k to get into a rythm, after looking at the cycling course I knew my time was going to be slower than what I wanted as there were to pretty steep climbs both ways and the last 6 km or so going out was a long steady grade nothing steep just a wear me down type of grade. Well the second run was one loop of the first run it just has enough of an up hill to kill legs that are already about dead. 

Oh that division place would be 9th of 9.   Did check the clydes div and I would have come in 2nd on that, but kind of hoping to drop out of that weight division soon so wanted to race as an age grouper even if I am slow.

2010-04-26 3:34 PM

User image

Regular
Michaelann, sorry you had a bad day and hope the wee one is feeling better.

Jonki, well done for entering the age group- i'm sure it will get better and better.

Today was my third day in a row cycling.
Saturday was a 10 mile road bike 2.5mile trail run.
Sunday was 9mile mtb and 2.5mile trail run.
Today I became a 'proper' cyclist..... did a 10 mile road loop at work, pulled up outside the office and fell over !!  <blush>
Thats that out of the way now lol.

train well.

2010-04-27 2:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BAHRAIN

morning all. hope things are good in the old and new worlds. here in innerland things are good. weather is nice, training is good. waiting for the next race, should be duathlon in may. started to basetrain for my first marathon, should take place in dubai jan 2011. any hints anybody? in tri running is my weakest link - i'm still pretty heavy, 90kg (just below 200lbs), but losing weight nice pace. started with 105kg (230lbs) just three months ago!

i found a funny site http://johnbarban.com/top-10-weight-loss-diet-rules/ check it out - it's lists of all (and more) weight loss programs hints. good laugh.

there was also some good ones, naturally. like this:
An old Iranian saying:
Eat your breakfast alone, share your lunch, give your enemy your dinner

i also started new weight regime this week, made by my gym instructor. first day was chest, back and legs, third arms, shoulders and abs and fifth fullbody workout. first day done, and hurting alot... today arms.

running feels pretty good - i am reading the book: Dean Karnazes: Ultramarathon man (that is a one crazy man!!!)

2010-04-27 8:37 PM

Dolores, CO
How is everyone today?

Did 15 miles on my MTB on the trainer. 

2010-04-27 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2816149

User image

Champion
mademille - 2010-04-26 5:43 AM Well, the weekend didn't go so well

My first race was a bust.  Long story...weather didn't cooperate, wind started gusting to 35mph 10 min before the start. They delayed a while, then canceled the swim and turned the bike into a time trial start. I would have swam in those conditions, I was devastated when they canceled it.  But what really scared me was the 35+mph crosswind gusts and a MUCH more crowded bike course due to the time trial start. I just wasn't ready for that. Plus my poor daughter woke up with a 102 fever that morning. We stopped and got her motrin on the way to the race, and she was a trooper, she never complained, but she wasn't doing well at all. So we packed it up and left.  It was really sad, especially coming home and rubbing those numbers off my arms and throwing away my bib and stuff. But I am 100% comfortable with my decision, no regrets, I know it was the right one for me under the circumstances. I've heard a few reports from people who did the race and it sounds like the bike course was chaos.

So, onto the next one! Signed up for a small, women's only "super sprint" race on Mother's Day in two weeks, then another sprint in 5 weeks.  Moving forward now, had a great day of training yesterday.

Thats too bad! Oh well! Good attitude to focus on your next tri though!
2010-04-27 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2816677

User image

Champion
Jonkj - 2010-04-26 9:01 AM Michaelann, Sorry to hear about the way the race didn't go, hope your daughter feels better soon.

My day went kind of slow.

NAME                   BIB AGE SEXPLC DIV DIVPLC RUN1/RANK RUN1    RUN1/PACE   T1     BIKE/RANK  BIKE     BIKE MPH  T2    
JONATHAN JONES 379 44  M 39  M4044    9               52       53:46    8:41           2:14       55         1:39:03   15.0      1:35  

RUN2/RANK RUN2    RUN2/PACE   TIME     CITY       STATE   EVENT
     65            38:51      12:32    03:15:27  CORTEZ    CO    FAT MAN(ATOMIC MAN)

I was a bit ill on Friday and Saturday morning but felt more than well enough to do the event on Sunday.  The first run it took me almost the first 5k to get into a rythm, after looking at the cycling course I knew my time was going to be slower than what I wanted as there were to pretty steep climbs both ways and the last 6 km or so going out was a long steady grade nothing steep just a wear me down type of grade. Well the second run was one loop of the first run it just has enough of an up hill to kill legs that are already about dead. 

Oh that division place would be 9th of 9.   Did check the clydes div and I would have come in 2nd on that, but kind of hoping to drop out of that weight division soon so wanted to race as an age grouper even if I am slow.

Trial and error! My first tri's had similar results to that du! You finished! Be proud and keep working hard and the results will come!
2010-04-27 10:21 PM

User image

Champion
4 days out from my half marathon! wooo! Also, a bunch of girls in my class and I were accepted into the Nike Women's Marathon! Its on my birthday in Oct! WOoo!! Haha. It shall be interesting!
2010-04-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2821525

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
I'm really struggling this week to balance school and training.  Finals are in 2 weeks and professors are really piling on the homework.

Good luck on your half this weekend Melissa!

Jonki - Congrats! Looks like you did great to me!

Ultramarathon Man has always been on my list of books I want to read, someday maybe (when I'm done with school and can read for enjoyment again!)

So, I'm getting really frustrated with my biking. I'm just so s-l-o-w its ridiculous. Its my newest thing, so I know I need "time in the saddle" and all that. But sometimes I wonder if I am doing something really wrong. I don't have a nice bike, its just a bottom of the line Trek road bike. But I did get it professionally fit when I bought it, have clipless pedals, etc. I've put about 250 miles on it (not much yet really, I know) but I haven't seen even a bit of improvement over that time in speed. It just seems like a relatively fit person who can swim over a mile easily, run a 10K around a 9min pace should be able to get her darn bike over 13mph. If I have a good tailwind, I've gone as fast 17. But then I turn around and drop to like 9mph. I swear I was faster on my $100 Walmart mountain bike. Okay, not really, but honestly I wasn't any slower!  Little old men on cruiser bikes pass me like I am standing still. I don't know what gives.  I have a bike computer, I play around with cadence, different gears, etc. Nothing works. Its not a cardio thing, I never even really feel like I get a cardio workout biking. Heart rate barely goes up. Its my leg muscles. They start BURNING and hurt in like 2 seconds, so I have to slow down. I thought I had pretty strong legs, but I guess not. I'm actually starting to like my rides, but I hate being so slow. Okay, just had to get that out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Melindy's Mentor Group--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 9