BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-04-15 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2793798

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-04-15 11:40 AM

I just got my sleeveless wetsuit last week, tried it on and it fits. I'll be giving it a test-run this weekend at Rumpass in Bumpass (sprint). Jenny - yes, I'm doing Eagleman, I have a training plan but haven't been following it. I need to take a look at it and adjust my own training. I know I can do it just need to work on my swimming to be more efficient and all around I just want to finish within the time limits!

I'll let everyone know how cold it was on Sunday!!! LOL

Kiwi, if you feel like you need some help coming up with a plan to prepare for Eagleman, let me know. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.... If your logs are accurate, I think you're going to need to make an effort to increase your training volume quite a bit to prepare for an HIM... Have you done any longer bike rides (40+ miles)? It would be good if you can figure out how to get in one good, long bike session per week, or at least most weeks leading up to Eagleman.

The run is where I think you'll need to be careful. Working up to half-marathon distance from where you are now in 8 weeks could be tricky.... You might want to plan on a run/walk strategy so you can safely build up to the half-mary distance.

Have they posted the wave start schedule yet for Eagleman? I did it last year, and my wave was second to last - which completely SUCKED!! It put me out on the run course late in the day and without much company. I hope you get a better wave start than I did!

2010-04-15 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2793897

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
mmgoldenb - 2010-04-15 12:09 PM

Good luck to those of you with events this weekend!  Can't wait to hear about them. 

I am still thinking about what my next set of goals will be.  The last set were specific to running, which I feel is under control.  My focus now is swimming, but I am not sure how to measure progress quite yet, as I am still in the beginning of the TI program, whichis very drill-heavy.  I could go with X number of times per week, but I would rather measure quality, not quantity.  I need to be up to 250 yards freestyle by Memorial Day and 500 by July 24th. 

Suggestions welcome!

Marla,

As far as swimming goes, I think you're smart to focus on quality at this point. Developing an efficient swim stroke will go a long way, and you need to take the time you need to work through the program. I think with ANY of this stuff, frequency goes a long way, too. So if you can get to the pool more often, even if each session is short, that can be quite helpful. I think once you work your way through the TI program, you'll pretty easily be able to build up to the 500 yards you need by July.
2010-04-15 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Today was definitely one of those days where I had to drag myself to the gym to get my workout in - but I feel better having done it.... So, my 3rd run, and 2nd swim are in the books for the week. Long run planned for tomorrow.....
2010-04-15 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - Still OPEN for business! Hoping for a few more members!
Anybody else out there still looking for a mentor group? Still plenty of room here! Come join us!!
2010-04-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2789018

User image

Hi Kiwi/Keely,
Looks like you've got some great races/tris coming up. I'm intrigued about the Irongirl that everyone is mentioning. I don't know much about it though. I will be doing my first tri this summer. I've been training since January. Funny thing for me is that I thought that after working out so much I would lose weight. Turns out I've gained a couple lbs. Swimming makes me completely ravenous. These boards are a great source of information! Welcome!
Keiren
2010-04-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2789878

User image

Hi Jeff,
How nice that your kids and wife are along for the ride with you! Mine are 21, 19 and 16 and were all really active when living at home. My boys are away at college and my daughter is home and sometimes runs with me. I'm working on my first tri sprint this summer. I used to love watching Kona, especially John Blaze ALS patient & poet (my brother died of the disease at age 36). But I have to say watching Ironman never made me want to do it! Welcome aboard!

2010-04-15 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2791813

User image

Hi Elena, Welcome to the group. I'm already enjoying being part of a group of people with the same interests and goals! I'm new to triathlons so any info I can get from the veterans is a big plus!
2010-04-16 5:57 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
G'morning group! What's everybody got on tap for today and this weekend?

Long run today for me. The plan is for a short bike on Saturday and short run on Sunday. My hubby is out of town this weekend, so will have to see how things pan out....

2010-04-16 7:31 AM

User image

Hi Jenny,

I had a long bike last night. Felt good. Long for me is 77 minutes at this point. Long run tonight, 40 min. ugh. Maybe a long swim (also 40 min) I'm trying to get lots of training in as I leave for Puerto Rico on Wednesday and unsure of what I'll be able to do for that week. Pool at B&B too small for laps, maybe ocean. Definately some running. Mostly lounging and enjoying hubby time. We're going to try surfing. Should be fun!

It's interesting trying to fit workouts in according to weather. I used to do everything in the gym, now that it's nice out I try to figure my schedule according to the forecast.
2010-04-16 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA

Hey gang...what's up!
I biked to work today, hoping to beat the t-storms this pm Surprised.

Tomorrow planning a medium bike ride with our LBC followed by a repairing massage, and Sunday calls for a long run with gorgeous wife. In between I might squeeze a glass or two of nutricious Cabernet (antioxidants and HDL boost Wink).
For leisure, the whole family plans to play half a round of golf!!!
Looks like a great weekend...can't wait.
Fernando.
PS: To all of you competing this weekend, please kick some b......, make us proud!

2010-04-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2795991

User image

Hi Fernando,
Love the idea of a repairing massage, in addition to the Cabernet! Sounds like a fun weekend, enjoy!
Keiren

2010-04-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2794210

Veteran
Outside B'more
jsnowash - 2010-04-15 1:47 PM

KiwiJDRPH - 2010-04-15 11:40 AM

I just got my sleeveless wetsuit last week, tried it on and it fits. I'll be giving it a test-run this weekend at Rumpass in Bumpass (sprint). Jenny - yes, I'm doing Eagleman, I have a training plan but haven't been following it. I need to take a look at it and adjust my own training. I know I can do it just need to work on my swimming to be more efficient and all around I just want to finish within the time limits!

I'll let everyone know how cold it was on Sunday!!! LOL

Kiwi, if you feel like you need some help coming up with a plan to prepare for Eagleman, let me know. I'd be happy to offer some suggestions.... If your logs are accurate, I think you're going to need to make an effort to increase your training volume quite a bit to prepare for an HIM... Have you done any longer bike rides (40+ miles)? It would be good if you can figure out how to get in one good, long bike session per week, or at least most weeks leading up to Eagleman.

The run is where I think you'll need to be careful. Working up to half-marathon distance from where you are now in 8 weeks could be tricky.... You might want to plan on a run/walk strategy so you can safely build up to the half-mary distance.

Have they posted the wave start schedule yet for Eagleman? I did it last year, and my wave was second to last - which completely SUCKED!! It put me out on the run course late in the day and without much company. I hope you get a better wave start than I did!

Yeah, I'm aware I need to log more time in. I actually run/walk now and have been keeping up a 13 min/mile pace, still working on it. I haven't had a decent bike ride yet. Next weekend there's a bike fest going on where couple of friends (one being coworker that signed up to do Eagleman with me) signed up for a 60 mile ride. Don't think I'll be ready for that in the hilly terrain it's going thru but I told them I'm up for the 40+ miler even though it will be a bit slower pace.

So, Jenny feel free to offer me some training tips, training program, what have you...I'm getting psyched! Don't expect me to be fast paced, I'm a back of the packer, but I've got plenty of determination and endurance!!
2010-04-16 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2795704

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Keiren - 2010-04-16 8:31 AM

Hi Jenny,

I had a long bike last night. Felt good. Long for me is 77 minutes at this point. Long run tonight, 40 min. ugh. Maybe a long swim (also 40 min) I'm trying to get lots of training in as I leave for Puerto Rico on Wednesday and unsure of what I'll be able to do for that week. Pool at B&B too small for laps, maybe ocean. Definately some running. Mostly lounging and enjoying hubby time. We're going to try surfing. Should be fun!

It's interesting trying to fit workouts in according to weather. I used to do everything in the gym, now that it's nice out I try to figure my schedule according to the forecast.

Keiren -

PR sounds WONDERFUL!! I'm so jealous! My hubby and I are years away from any get-aways like that.... The most we've managed is an occasional over-night away from the kids. Surfing sounds like FUN! I've never tried it! Boogie-boarding is the closest I've managed.

Isn't it nice to be able to get outdoors to train? I love running and riding outside so much more than in the gym or on the trainer in my dark, damp, musty basement! But I think it's going to be the trainer for me this weekend, since my hubby is away. I don't like to go out on the bike with the kids home alone. I don't have a problem with a run < 1 hour, but I figure on the bike, even if I'm doing a relatively short ride, if I have mechanical problems, flat tire, etc., I could still be miles from home and it could take me ages to get back.

Edited by jsnowash 2010-04-16 3:49 PM
2010-04-16 3:49 PM

Jenny,

Do you have room for another in your group?  My name is Laura and I am 27 and single.  I have been a long time runners with one full mary and many half mary's.  I have been dealing with major IT issues over the past year, which forced me to buy a bike.!! haha.  After physical therapists, foam rollers, bands, and chiros I am sucessfully running three miles again! 

I have minimal swimming background since I swam as a child up until I was about 12 years old.  My brothers HIM has inspired me to start triathlons.  My goal is the HIM with him in Austin in October.  I am also going to do a few sprints and olympic before then. 

I am no stranger to endurance events and an excited about finding this mentor program.  Because I have tons of questions!!

Laura
2010-04-16 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2795991

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-04-16 10:01 AM

Hey gang...what's up!
I biked to work today, hoping to beat the t-storms this pm Surprised.

Tomorrow planning a medium bike ride with our LBC followed by a repairing massage, and Sunday calls for a long run with gorgeous wife. In between I might squeeze a glass or two of nutricious Cabernet (antioxidants and HDL boost Wink).
For leisure, the whole family plans to play half a round of golf!!!
Looks like a great weekend...can't wait.
Fernando.
PS: To all of you competing this weekend, please kick some b......, make us proud!

Hey Fernando -

Good job bike-commuting to work! How long is your commute? I hope you beat the storms tonight! It was a little bit rainy here this morning, too, but turned out to be a pretty nice day.

Enjoy your anti-oxidents! I may have to incorporate some of those into my diet this weekend, too - LOL!!
2010-04-16 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2797151

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ljallen - 2010-04-16 4:49 PM

Jenny,

Do you have room for another in your group?  My name is Laura and I am 27 and single.  I have been a long time runners with one full mary and many half mary's.  I have been dealing with major IT issues over the past year, which forced me to buy a bike.!! haha.  After physical therapists, foam rollers, bands, and chiros I am sucessfully running three miles again! 

I have minimal swimming background since I swam as a child up until I was about 12 years old.  My brothers HIM has inspired me to start triathlons.  My goal is the HIM with him in Austin in October.  I am also going to do a few sprints and olympic before then. 

I am no stranger to endurance events and an excited about finding this mentor program.  Because I have tons of questions!!

Laura

Absolutely, Laura! Welcome aboard!

Glad to hear you're on the way back from your IT injury!

Have you looked at any training plans to get ready for your October HIM?

2010-04-16 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2796860

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA

Yeah, I'm aware I need to log more time in. I actually run/walk now and have been keeping up a 13 min/mile pace, still working on it. I haven't had a decent bike ride yet. Next weekend there's a bike fest going on where couple of friends (one being coworker that signed up to do Eagleman with me) signed up for a 60 mile ride. Don't think I'll be ready for that in the hilly terrain it's going thru but I told them I'm up for the 40+ miler even though it will be a bit slower pace.

So, Jenny feel free to offer me some training tips, training program, what have you...I'm getting psyched! Don't expect me to be fast paced, I'm a back of the packer, but I've got plenty of determination and endurance!!

Kiwi -

Your bike fest next weekend sounds like a great start on getting in some more bike mileage! Those supported rides are great!

As far as the rest of your training goes, what kind of schedule do you think you can manage (i.e., how many days per week can you train, how many total hours per week do you want to commit to training, etc.)? Half the battle is coming up with a plan that fits your schedule and lifestyle.... sometimes cookie-cutter plans, even the great plans here on BT don't work for everyone! If I know what your limitations are, maybe I can help you adjust your training plan so that it works better for your individual needs.....

Can't wait to hear how your race goes this weekend!!
2010-04-16 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
p.s. to Laura - you might want to start using your training logs. That way I can peak in from time to time and see how you're doing, and perhaps offer some training suggestions.

2010-04-16 4:06 PM

I will start using the logs!

I am still looking for a good training program.  I was just looking at the traning plan on BT. 

What would you recommend? 

2010-04-16 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2797185

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
You mentioned you are up to running 3 miles - how many times per week are you running? Are you doing any biking or swimming right now? If so, how much. Knowing a little bit about what your current training looks like will help me better suggest a plan.
2010-04-16 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Welcome to the group Laura....I'm a newby too, looking forward to benefit from the answers to your questions.
Jenny: My commute is a little over 22 miles total, some rolling hills. I use my heavy hybrid though, plus my 15-20lbs backpack, so I hardly ever break 15 mph (except on days with no wind). Quite a few stop signs too. 

2010-04-16 4:34 PM

User image

New user
Iowa
Is there a way to "subscribe" to this thread so I can easily find it?  Or should I just save a link in my shortcuts?

Training is going well this week but boy, do I have a sweet tooth going on!  I can't wait for the jolly ranchers to be gone from work.  I think I grab one every time I leave my deskSmile

I have a longer (for me) outdoor run  planned for tomorrow.  Hubby and I are going to shoot for 5.5 miles I think and then I am going to do a bike directly afterwards.  I need to reassess my training and the time left before the race and then consult you all for some feedback!  This morning I tried to run (on treadmill) but my legs were SO tight - I just did about 2 miles than got on the indoor bike.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better running!

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

2010-04-16 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2797245

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-04-16 5:33 PM

Welcome to the group Laura....I'm a newby too, looking forward to benefit from the answers to your questions.
Jenny: My commute is a little over 22 miles total, some rolling hills. I use my heavy hybrid though, plus my 15-20lbs backpack, so I hardly ever break 15 mph (except on days with no wind). Quite a few stop signs too. 

Great bike strength training, though! Just imagine how FAST you'll be on a road or tri bike!
2010-04-16 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2797248

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
etakla - 2010-04-16 5:34 PM

Is there a way to "subscribe" to this thread so I can easily find it?  Or should I just save a link in my shortcuts?

Training is going well this week but boy, do I have a sweet tooth going on!  I can't wait for the jolly ranchers to be gone from work.  I think I grab one every time I leave my deskSmile

I have a longer (for me) outdoor run  planned for tomorrow.  Hubby and I are going to shoot for 5.5 miles I think and then I am going to do a bike directly afterwards.  I need to reassess my training and the time left before the race and then consult you all for some feedback!  This morning I tried to run (on treadmill) but my legs were SO tight - I just did about 2 miles than got on the indoor bike.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better running!

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

I think there is a way to subscribe to threads so that you get an email notifying you if a new post is made to the thread - I'll have to see if I can look up how to do that, though.... You could put a link in your bookmarks, or put a link in your training blog.

I hear ya about the sweet tooth.... So glad the kids' Easter candy is finally gone!!

I wouldn't worry too much about the tightness in your legs this morning - it happens sometimes... You're probably just still adapting to a new form of exercise. If the tightness progresses to pain, then you might want to back off, at least from running, for a bit.
2010-04-16 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2797248

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
etakla - 2010-04-16 5:34 PM

DOH! Okay - found it! Down at the bottom right-hand side of the page, underneath the "Reply" button, click on "toggle email notification" and you can choose to get email notification whenever anything new is posted to the thread.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32