BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-21 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2807310

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-04-21 1:11 PM I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who loses track of laps.  I'm so incapable I even lose track doing 100s!  Though I can use the elapsed time to figure that distance out.  Love that gadget though, I think I may grab one.

I did a 5k TT today to see where I'm at - 23:18.  I started out way too fast and petered out, but it's a benchmark.

23:18 for your 5K TT is very impressive! Besides the benchmark, will you also use that to determine HR zones?

Anthony

2010-04-21 2:01 PM
in reply to: #2807674

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-04-21 2:42 PM
wbayek - 2010-04-21 1:11 PM I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who loses track of laps.  I'm so incapable I even lose track doing 100s!  Though I can use the elapsed time to figure that distance out.  Love that gadget though, I think I may grab one.

I did a 5k TT today to see where I'm at - 23:18.  I started out way too fast and petered out, but it's a benchmark.

23:18 for your 5K TT is very impressive! Besides the benchmark, will you also use that to determine HR zones?

Anthony

I'm using it to set my training pace zones, and to track whether I'm improving or not since I plan to run this course every 4 weeks.  I'm moving to run training with pace, but I still use HR as a checkpoint, though not a primary training tool.  On the bike I use HR since I don't have power and pace is too variable with hills and wind.  Frown

You're right about the fun of having tons of geeky tools at our disposal and still being athletes! 
2010-04-21 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks for the info gang.  I am off to the pool again this evening.  Will try my watch lap counter for my laps for now.  I also love gagets and will look at the lap counter.  I want to try that technique Danny mentioned.  Thanks again and I am very happy with the amount of knowledge and experience this group has to offer.

I am trying to get my son riding bikes more so I can use the excuse he needs my bike in order to get a new tri bike...LOL.  Wife knows my tricks.

Scott

2010-04-21 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2808282

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-04-21 4:58 PM Thanks for the info gang.  I am off to the pool again this evening.  Will try my watch lap counter for my laps for now.  I also love gagets and will look at the lap counter.  I want to try that technique Danny mentioned.  Thanks again and I am very happy with the amount of knowledge and experience this group has to offer.

I am trying to get my son riding bikes more so I can use the excuse he needs my bike in order to get a new tri bike...LOL.  Wife knows my tricks.

That makes perfect sense to me, so I'm sure your wife should go for it without any problem

Anthony
2010-04-21 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
We will have to work on her...Laughing.  Dan, thanks again for your swimming techniques, it definately helps.  I was also keeping my head down (looking at the bottom of the pool, counting the tiles) and that seemed to keep my head down lying flatter in the water, when taking a breath...if that makes sense.  Anyway, I will take any more tips and techniques you or anyone else would like to give.  I believe I am finding a rhythm or maybe I am just getting more comfortable in the water.

Scott

Edited by scott1223 2010-04-22 5:48 AM
2010-04-22 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning everyone. How are we all doing today? I ran 6 miles and swam 1200 yards this morning like I had planned, and now I am at work and feeling very good.

I see that evreyone is logging their training which is good, so I wanted to mention the "inspire" feature. I suggest you "inspire" one another because it's nice for both the inspirer and inspiree. If you get an inspire, if you click the "reply" button you will go to their log, and your response will be in their inspires with what they wrote to you quoted. Hope that makes sense. Since we all mostly train alone, it's fun to hear from someone doing the same stuff.

Just so you know, even if I don't send you a daily inspire, I do check your logs at least once a day, so keep up with your training and logging

Anthony

2010-04-22 11:23 AM

User image

NH
That's a great start to the day Anthony.  I need to kickstart my morning routine since that's the only way to make absolutely sure the workouts happen.

I was scheduled for a swim at lunch but it's not going to happen due to interruptions at work.  I'm learning the lesson so once my plan really starts I won't be missing workouts.
2010-04-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2800309

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - OPEN
marine525 - 2010-04-18 10:22 PM   i have access to an indoor pool, but im only able to go there every other week.

I know this is going back a few days, and I apologize for not addressing this point earlier. I checked in with my BT friend dexter who is an excellent swimmer (top 5 or  10% out of the water) and he suggests that when you can't swim to do upper body strength training and core workouts. I imagine that being in the military you already do that, but I hope that helps a little.

Anthony
2010-04-22 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2810126

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-22 12:23 PM That's a great start to the day Anthony.  I need to kickstart my morning routine since that's the only way to make absolutely sure the workouts happen.

Thanks! I really enjoy morning workouts, and they energize me for my day. It seems simple, but I like to lay out my workout clothes the night before, so I don't waste anytime in the morning. I didn't do that the other day and I wasted 10 minutes futzing around. Doesn't sound like much, but 10 minutes is 2 or 3 miles on the bike, or 1  mile running, or 500 yards in the pool.

I was scheduled for a swim at lunch but it's not going to happen due to interruptions at work.  I'm learning the lesson so once my plan really starts I won't be missing workouts.

That is the exact issue that I have had with lunch workouts. When you are at work, stuff happens!!

ANthony
2010-04-22 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2808926

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Subject: Swimming Technique
Hi Scott:  Glad it helps.  Here are a couple other thoughts.  Experiment with head position to find what is most comfortable.  I seem to do best with my head cocked slightly upward, 20 to 30 degrees, not a full 45.  Also try to keep your head from flopping or bobbing around.  Any sloppy movement with your head will throw your entire stroke off.  Isn't swimming technique a challenge?   There are so many ways to get out of sink.  But keep at it; it's great when you have the technique clicking and have fitness and strength to complement it.  Arm stroke - make sure you finish strong.  There is a tendency to shorten the stroke and try to get your next one started before you've actually finished all the way.  I try to push that water past my thigh each time.  I've also counted my strokes and cruise down 25 yards with about 17 strokes.  If you're in the 20's you're probably not being fluid relaxed comfortable yet.  One last tip.  I'm still working on this and am not totally sold on it.  Pros say you're supposed to rotate your torso, shoulders toward the bottom of the pool alternating like a keel of a ship rather than being flat like a barge.  I'll try to find the link to this one and post later.

Dan
2010-04-22 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2809546

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Thanks for the tip on the 'inspire' feature.  I was trying to figure out how to do it the other day, but couldn't find the 'BT website for dummies' book! 

Dan

2010-04-23 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Hi everyone. Sorry I didn't check in last night, but my new Garmin 310xt came in and I was fiddling around with it, and deciding exactly how I wanted to put it on my bike. . I got the bike quick release, and I figured I might as well go whole hog and get the cadence sensor as well. Very nice toy!!

It was a beautiful morning here, and I had a very nice ride. The sunrise was very purple as I was riding by a big pond that was perfectly still so it reflected the sky like a mirror. Niiiiiice!

Anyone have big plans for the weekend?

Anthony
2010-04-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2811114

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-04-22 6:45 PM Thanks for the tip on the 'inspire' feature.  I was trying to figure out how to do it the other day, but couldn't find the 'BT website for dummies' book! 

Dan

I found this article with some good tips: Blogging and the BT Blogger. Hope you find it useful.

Anthony
2010-04-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2812185

User image

New user

My big plans include camping in stormy weather with the 1st-5th grader boys from my church. I plan on a run early in the a.m. followed by running after kids all day long. Should be a blast!

2010-04-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2812529

User image

Expert
cemarkham21 - 2010-04-23 1:30 PM

My big plans include camping in stormy weather with the 1st-5th grader boys from my church. I plan on a run early in the a.m. followed by running after kids all day long. Should be a blast!

Sounds like a good time! Running after the boys should be like an interval workout because they have only 2 speeds: Stop, and as fast as possible.

On a side note, I don't think I can let my wife see your avatar. All that incredible baby cuteness might be too much for her
2010-04-23 5:18 PM
in reply to: #2812185

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
I'm working Friday night and Sunday night this weekend.  Plus I have to pick up the Uhaul truck at 9am and go pick up some furniture that my wife found on craigs list.  One of her girlfriends is moving and we bought some stuff from her too.  My dad is giving us a sofa and end table to boot.  So, 3 stops with the truck, then home to unload. After I drop off the truck, I'm going to power eat and then go to sleep.  We do have friends coming over Sunday after church for lunch.  So, Saturday will be tough, Sunday will be fun.

Dan

2010-04-23 7:49 PM

User image

NH
My wife and two oldest are leaving for a week's vacation Sunday morning, and I'm home alone all week with my youngest, so I may not get as much work in this week.  He's 8 and has Down syndrome, so my wife especially stays pretty busy keeping up with him!  This is a much deserved week "off" for her, as my two older guys are pretty independent.
2010-04-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2813064

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-04-23 6:18 PM I'm working Friday night and Sunday night this weekend.  Plus I have to pick up the Uhaul truck at 9am and go pick up some furniture that my wife found on craigs list.  One of her girlfriends is moving and we bought some stuff from her too.  My dad is giving us a sofa and end table to boot.  So, 3 stops with the truck, then home to unload. After I drop off the truck, I'm going to power eat and then go to sleep.  We do have friends coming over Sunday after church for lunch.  So, Saturday will be tough, Sunday will be fun.

Dan

Well, you sure are going to busy! With all that furniture moving you will be getting plenty of strength training Having friends over is always nice.

Anthony
2010-04-23 9:01 PM

Mooresville
Subject: Calf problem

I'm having a problem with one of my calves. About 2 months ago (prior to training) I pulled it after a long day at work. I had severe pain, it almost felt like someone was sticking a knife into the back of my leg. I thought that I had stretched it enough and enough time had passed, but maybe not. I was just beginning my run after a 10 min warm up and wasn't even 1 min in and I had to stop because the pain was just to much.  Since then (4 days ago) I've increased my swimming and biking substantially. Is there a certain type of stretching I can do to really stretch my lower calf muscle?

2010-04-23 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Posted 2010-04-23 10:01 PM (#2813337 - in reply to #2774068)

I'm having a problem with one of my calves. About 2 months ago (prior to training) I pulled it after a long day at work. I had severe pain, it almost felt like someone was sticking a knife into the back of my leg. I though that I had stretched it enough and enough time had passed, but maybe not. I was just beginning my run after a 10 min warm up and wasn't even 1 min in and I had to stop because the pain was just to much.  Since then (4 days ago) I've increased my swimming and biking substantially. Is there a certain type of stretching I can do to really stretch my lower calf muscle?

The good news is that you absolutely can get better! My first year running I slipped and strained one of my calves, and I was able to get it better with stretching and patience, and I am still running 8 years later.

Here's an article from Runner's World with some simple calf stretches. I also like to do the one where you stand on the edge of a stair and slowly lower your heel and hold yourself there. I recommend stretching only when warm, go slow and NEVER bounce.

When you can't run, aqua jogging is an excellent alternative. See if your gym has a program for it. Another possibility is the elliptical machine, although I think aqua jogging is better.

I would also suggest that you have appropriate shoes for your feet and gait. If you have a good running store near you try them out to make sure you have the best shoes possible for you. Tri can be expensive, but one thing I never scrimp on is my shoes. I also get new ones after 3 or 400 miles.

I hope that helps some, and I like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-04-23 9:37 PM
2010-04-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2813237

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-23 8:49 PM My wife and two oldest are leaving for a week's vacation Sunday morning, and I'm home alone all week with my youngest, so I may not get as much work in this week.  He's 8 and has Down syndrome, so my wife especially stays pretty busy keeping up with him!  This is a much deserved week "off" for her, as my two older guys are pretty independent.

That sounds great. The time off for your wife will be very nice, and the one on one time for you with your son will be special. I know I always especially like those rare occasions when I get a little alone time with one of my kids.

Anthony

2010-04-24 6:13 AM
in reply to: #2813370

User image

NH
amschrod - 2010-04-23 10:33 PM
Posted 2010-04-23 10:01 PM (#2813337 - in reply to #2774068)

I'm having a problem with one of my calves..Is there a certain type of stretching I can do to really stretch my lower calf muscle?

I hope that helps some, and I like to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Anthony

This isn't a stretch, but for your calves - check this link out.  Leigh is my PT and "coach" and she made this series to help people with on their own massaging and rolling plans.  There are parts for most muscle groups.  She's awesome.
2010-04-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2813557

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-24 7:13 AM

This isn't a stretch, but for your calves - check this link out.  Leigh is my PT and "coach" and she made this series to help people with on their own massaging and rolling plans.  There are parts for most muscle groups.  She's awesome.

WOW! That is excellent stuff! Thank you for the link.

This brings up 2 good points that I forgot to mention.
  1. Foam rollers and self massage. I've had good luck avoiding injury, so I don't roll, but lots of people use the foam roller after every workout.
  2. If you see a PT or a doc, you should find one who wants you to be able to run, not someone who just wants you to feel better. Someone like Warren's PT/Coach who really understands athletes.
Thanks again Warren, that is a great website, and I look forward to checking it out in depth when I have a little more time.

Anthony
2010-04-24 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2813724

User image

Expert
My weekends are a little different since I work Saturdays, and take off Sunday and Monday, but last night was interesting because my 13 year old went to a dance. When he came home, I asked if he talked to any girls and he said yes. Then, just joking around , I asked if he got any phone numbers, and he said yes, one. What in the world? Do eighth graders really get phone numbers?!?!

My wife and I had a nice evening. Since everyone was out of the house we shared a margarita or maybe 2. I still manged to get in my planned training this morning before work so that was good.

Anthony
2010-04-24 12:58 PM

User image

NH
And just think Anthony, only 3 years until he drives!

I roll almost every night, and after every long run.  I've had some It problems and don't want them coming back.  My son massages my calves a lot while we're reading or hanging out.  I don't ask and he likes to do it for some reason, so I'm not complaining!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24