BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #2800380

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
drew2219 - 2010-04-18 11:18 PM A few things:

At the last minute, I decide to do a 5K today. My overweight roommate had mentioned he was doing it, and the money went to a good cause, so I figured joining in wouldn't hurt. 

Exciting part was I placed first overall, but I think that's primarily due to it being no more than 60 runners total! Since I hadn't raced in a LONG time, I was unsure what I would be able to finish in, and also ran with no watch, so had to rely on "gut" feelings, I finished in 19:58. Nothing like the glory days, but still enjoyable!

Also, I've been playing around with my schedule, and was hoping Colin and others could look it over and give me some input. I based it off of this: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_18wOly.asp which seemed like a good starting point. So far I've only mapped out the times that it works for me, and have yet to really get into what I'll do each day. I also shifted it, so that the first workout of the week falls on Sunday, like so:

From Recently Updated

In regards to my swimming...

I usually just do a quick warm-up of 50, then 3 sets of 500, cool down, and get outta there. Also, I feel pretty winded after each 500, they take a bit of effort to complete. 

I'll be swimming on tuesday, so I'll get my time for a 200, as well as a friend that agreed to video me. I'm quite worried to see for myself how I look. Laughing

Oh, and one more thing, I'm currently looking at the forerunner 305. I've read a lot about it and it seems to be quite useful, does anyone have any input on it, or other similarly qualified gps/heart rate watch?

Have a good week everyone!

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Great post!  First off CONGRATULATIONS!  I don't care how small the field is, first place is first place!!!  That's really awesome.

Great work with the scheduling!  However, I have a question and an adjustment.  One question is with the swimming.  Are you planning to swim for an hour and half each time?  If you want to, great!  However, that's a lot of swimming so be careful of burning out.  how long do your typical swims take?  That is great that you are getting some video done!  I'm really looking forward to seeing it.  The other thing I'd like to see is a brick workout each week.  It looks like Saturday would be a great day for it.  After doing your long ride, can we throw a  recovery run on right you get off the bike?  I was planning to discuss this a little later on, but brick workouts are excellent for training and are found to be extremely beneficial.  Lastly, what kind of intensity were you planning for each one of these workouts?  Since you're going with a 3 swim, 3 bike, 3 run (which is great) format, I would recommend having 1 hard, 1 easy, and 1 moderate workout in each discipline.  Why don't you incorporate that into your schedule and I'll let you know what I think.  But this is a terrific start.

2010-04-19 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Andrew,

Oops, forgot to discuss the heart rate monitor.  I have the Garmin Forerunner 310xt and used to have the 305.  Both of them are outstanding products.  I'd have to say I'm actually addicted to mine at this point.  If money is an issue, the 305 does almost everything the 310 does so I would recommend the 305.  However, as Chad mentioned, Polar makes some great products as well.  I think you'd be very happy with any of these 3 products, but since I've never used the Polar, I can only vouch for the Garmins.
2010-04-19 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2800405

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - OPEN
Slowboy3094 - 2010-04-18 11:34 PM

Hey there Chris!

Very cool background!  When I got into triathlons, I was actually on the fence between going into MMA training or triathlons.  I have the up most respect for MMAers and their work ethics.  I'm also very happy to see you're a yoga guy!  I'm a HUGE believer in yoga and do at least 2, usually 3 yoga classes a week.  I can't say enough about all the great benefits of doing it.  That is incredible about your weight loss!!!  People like you really inspire me and I very happy to hear you have chosen a more active lifestyle. 

So when is your first triathlon?  Just curious how long we have to get your swim in order.  Based on your schedule, it looks like sometime in July?  Are you planning to swim/train in a pool or the ocean (very jealous about your location by the way)?  If your wife is scared of OWS, my guess is you have a pool membership, but just wanted to make sure.  Any chance we can get some video of you swimming?  It would be very helpful if I could take a look at your current form.  However, if you're just looking for some recommendations, I would be more than happy to provide those to you as well.

Good Stuff Chris and welcome to the group!

I tell people all the time that yoga has been the most beneficial activity that I have done.  My first Tri is in August. Unless I decide to do one before then.  I have a pool at my work, but it is 30 meters which is wierd (I have measured numerous times) and laps can get strange.  I also live 5 blocks from the ocean.  So, that is nice.  I would like to do one OWS and one pool workout a week.  The swim portion of the tri is only 500m, which I have already done in an OWS.  As far as my wife, she is scared of sharks, but I told her that she is going to have to swim in the ocean for the triatlon.  So the first time we go out I might rent a kayak or something with her.  I will see about getting video. 

As with my martial arts, I can swim a long time but my form sucks, and something that I learned in Muay Thai training form and technique is superior to endurance and strength.

I look forward to learning with you.

Thanks

That should work out great Chris!  If you're going to be swimming twice a week, you can focus on swimming for distance during your OWS and you concentrate on technique during your pool session.  What did you think of the video I linked to?  That's actually really good if you can swim for a long time as we can always improve your form.  With some effort, I'm confident we can make some great improvements pretty quickly.
2010-04-19 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
Name:  My name is Skip and my user is skiplong

Story:  I’ve toyed with the thought of triathlon on and off for several years.  It always seemed like a cool idea, but I was too busy mountain biking, backpacking and surfing in Southern California.  A move back closer to home to the flatlands of Virginia cut out the surfing and mountain biking and limited my backpacking.  I need to have some sort of outdoor activity in my life or I go crazy.  So need, desire and opportunity all came together at the same time and here I am.

Status:  I am currently married with no children.  We do have a cute basset hound and a cute chihuahua puppy.  And a really old cat.

Current Training:  I’m preparing for my first Sprint.  I try to get in training 4 days per week.  I’m really trying to develop the habit of exercise.  I was doing really well just a couple months ago, but then life happened and set me back.  I’m building back up and am determined to continue this as a lifestyle!  

Last Year’s Races:  Nada.

2010 Races:  I’m registered for my first Sprint on May 23rd!!  Past that, I think I’ll do an additional Sprint in July and maybe my reach goal of an Oly in September.

Weight loss:  My knees, belt and I are all interested in this.

Why I want to be in Colin’s group:  Colin is the coolest!  Colin has gone out of his way to help me.  He is very enthusiastic and has offered great advice to me in the past.  So this time I begged to be a part of his mentor group.  I can’t believe how fast this filled up, but he has been kind to me once again and is allowing me in, even though I’m late.  Thanks Colin!

2010-04-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2800421

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
GA Tri(er) - 2010-04-18 11:57 PM Great; I'm glad I responded soon enough to claim one of the coveted spots. 

Actually, my former co-worker is a she, and yes, she is a great athlete.  She swam competitively at UGA in Athens (Univ. of GA for those that don't live down here) and even swam in an Olympic trial for a spot, but didn't quite make it into that.  She won her AG up in Cincinatti (I think) last summer to qualify for Kona.  If I recall correctly, she was 2nd (in AG) out of the water, 3rd or 4th (in AG) for bike, then got sick during the run.  I can't remember what her overall finish was, but it took her around 12 1/2 to finish (??).  Anyway, she knows she can do much better than that, so she's eager to get back there again.

The swim portions are 1000m (in Sept.) and 600m (in Oct) - both open water.  I've never had any formal lesson, so I doubt very seriously my technique is correct.  However, I am very teachable.  I don't have any problems listening to and applying what is taught.  I don't believe in wasting time trying to "figure it out" on my own when someone with experience has already gone through what I need to get through.  My wife belongs to the Gold's Gym near our house, so I'll be joining there tomorrow or Tuesday.  They have an indoor pool and a Triathlon Club there as well, so I believe someone there should be able to point me to a coach.  The water doesn't bother me at all; I'm comfortable in the water (did a TON of water skiing growing up - 2x / wk during my Jr and Sr years in college), so I enjoy being in and around the water.  I'll keep you posted, and if you (or anyone else in the group) knows a good instructor in the Woodstock, GA area, please let me know.
Thanks,
Russ

PS I don't know if I'll be able to offer others too much advice since I'm brand new to this.  However, if anyone has a tax question, I can handle that!  Smile

Well don't I feel like an idiot!  Smile  I apologize for assuming your co worker was a man.  Haha, you should have seen the look on my face when I read that.  Ladies, I'm glad we're chatting online because I deserve a slap!  You said you don't work with her anymore right?  If not, that's too bad because it sounds like she would be perfect person to get some advice from.  Does the tri club do a weekly swimming session in the pool?  If so, have you considered joining?  If that would be possible, I think it would be extremely beneficial.

LOL and thanks for the offer on the tax questions.  If we only got this group going a couple weeks ago Smile
2010-04-19 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2800443

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-04-19 12:33 AM Colin, I'll have to re-arrange my work schedule to leave earlier to make the pool a few times a week. I've also found another pool on the way home that I can make it to, if I'm running late from work. My biggest concern with the swimming leg, is that I've never really learned to swim freestyle. I can swim the breaststroke and backstroke for quite a while, but am working on learning freestyle. Once I get a training plan laid out, I'll have an easier time with organized workouts. Shouldn't be a problem though. Probably the worst thing will be having to resort to a stationary bike when traveling. I can haul my bike on some trips, but there will be weeks where that's not possible. Yeah, I like the shooting sports, but they're certainly not for everyone. I shoot mainly Int'l rifle, but dabble in pistol and long-range rifle. I'll try to avoid talking about it on here; probably just bore everyone to tears. BTW: It's official, I signed up for the Nations Tri today. The other events are spread out over the summer, mostly Sprints. First one is 30 May, but we've not decided which ones we'll do yet. Take Care, Mark

If you can pull off rearranging your work schedule, that would be great Mark!  I hope you had a chance to take a look at the video I linked to yesterday.  If not, please take a look.  Its extremely difficult to correct your stroke or learn it for that matter if you don't know what you should be doing.  Is there any kind of freestyle or triathlon swim class at any of the pools you are considering?  It sounds like if they do have them, they may not work with your schedule, but I figured I'd throw that out there.  If not, you may greatly benefit from a private lesson or 2.  I'm not sure how the prices are in your area, but I typically charge $20-30 for a 30 min session and we usually make significant improvements over that 30 mins.  You may want to consider this.

LOL, actually I find the shooting pretty interesting, but that may be because I know nothing about it.  Sounds cool to me!

Congrats on signing up for the Nations Tri.  That will be awesome and we'll make sure you're ready for it!!!

2010-04-19 5:41 PM

Colin,

I do not know if you would want us to post our workouts in here each day or would you just look at our logs.

So anyways,  I did an hour of Muay Thai/Kickboxing and then went on a run right after.  About 5.5 miles in 58 or so minutes.  Great day for a run here in San Diego.  The first half was great, I was feeling it the second half though. 

Tomorrow will be boxing, stationary bike and then Yoga.

hope this helps.

Thanks

Chris
2010-04-19 6:15 PM
in reply to: #2800511

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
jedwards001 - 2010-04-19 5:15 AM

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the note--I am looking forward to spending more time with my daughter. Smile 

We're registered for the August 15th Danskin tri in Seattle.  So far, we've been trying to follow a balanced program (16 week).   I usually have to squeeze in my training just before the pool/gym closes at night so it sometimes makes the days for swimming and anything else difficult.

My weakness is definitely the running but I think it's just a matter of building endurance. 

Also, based on what I've been reading on the site it seems that I should work on my swim stroke too (and I keep forgetting to kick) but the training part of the swim isn't bad at all.

I'm so impressed with your dad.  I was just telling my older brother (turning 50 this year) that running as part of a 20 mile relay is definitely possible.

Joni

That's great Joni.  I'm hopeful both you and your daughter will find this to be quite a bonding experience.

There really aren't too many secrets to running, its often just a matter of doing it.  So at this point, hopefully you're willing to put in the time and I'm confident you will improve.

As for your swim, since you need to safe your legs for the bike and run, I'm actually not too disappointed to hear that you are forgetting to kick.  Yes, I would like to kick, but that's not a huge issue at this point. 

Yeah, I'm impressed with my Dad as well.  We'll have a great time and its been a great way for us to spend some extra time together.  I will be sure to tell him that he is being used as a motivation tool Smile  
2010-04-19 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2800764

Orlando, FL
sbright - 2010-04-19 9:16 AM It has been so interesting reading everyone's story and training/race plans.  Its tough not to get intimidated!

Colin, my strengths/weaknesses...

Swimming:  I have good basic technique that probably needs some cleanup.  I can't tell if I'm fast or slow, though.  I feel slow, but even swimming in the "fast" lane at my pool, I pass other swimmers regularly.  I need to build up my endurance and I know that my form starts to break down after a while.  I will use the resources you've provided and start hitting the pool an extra workout each week when the show I'm in closes.

Biking:  WEAKNESS!!!  Until last week, it had been 20 years since I rode a bike.  But I got on and practiced a few times and will keep doing so.

Running:  I feel like I have this pretty well under control and I love that the swimming and biking give me a better option that an easy run or recovery run. 

If I can figure out how, I'll give the group access to my training logs so that people can make comments or suggestions.  And I'll be happy to offer any theoretical/book knowledge that I can - that degree ought to be good for something!

Sarah,
I agree, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's story and all! As for your biking, I just want to encourage you to get the miles in. I didn't start really riding a lot of miles too long ago, but I found that just getting base mileage in I have had such considerable gains. So, keep at it and you'll surprise yourself!

Andrew
2010-04-19 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2801451

Orlando, FL
cquin534 - 2010-04-19 12:51 PM Andrew,
I just bought the Polar RS300x with the foot pod last week and I love it.  The whole thing cost $229 and its simple to use, and I've found it to be very accurate.  Its really easy to see your stats while your running, etc and you can easily change options while you're on the go. The screen can display running pace, HR, total miles and total time in any order with your specific focus, ie Heart Rate, in the largest font.
Hope that helps
Chad

Chad,
Thanks for the input on the polar. I looked at the website, and it seemed like a pretty good watch, but I still feel like I'm leaning towards the garmin. It's gonna come down to if I can find a good deal, but hopefully soon as I understand the added value HR training can add. Good luck in your training!

Andrew
2010-04-19 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2801862

Orlando, FL
syoung - 2010-04-19 2:40 PM Andrew,

Colin may want to put you on a different plan or feel that a 50 is plenty...which is totally fine with me! Every person is different when it comes to training but just from swim coaching experience..I typically recommend doing more than a 50 for a warm up! Maybe a 200 easy free or back is a really great way to warm up your muscles and prepare your body for your upcoming workout!

Just some food for thought. 

Sarah,

Ya, I agree that just a 50 w/u is not adequate, I just need to force myself to do more. I think having Colin and yourself with a lot of swimming experience will help me develop some good workouts, and give me a sense of accountability! If you have any w/o you recommend, I'd love to try them out.

Andrew

2010-04-19 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2802592

Orlando, FL
Slowboy3094 - 2010-04-19 6:41 PM Colin,

I do not know if you would want us to post our workouts in here each day or would you just look at our logs.

So anyways,  I did an hour of Muay Thai/Kickboxing and then went on a run right after.  About 5.5 miles in 58 or so minutes.  Great day for a run here in San Diego.  The first half was great, I was feeling it the second half though. 

Tomorrow will be boxing, stationary bike and then Yoga.

hope this helps.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,
Seems like a great w/o, and reading about both you and Colin doing yoga, and the benefits, I think I may try to start doing that here at the school gym, as long as I can find time! 

Andrew
2010-04-19 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2802701

User image

Expert
MI
drew2219 - 2010-04-19 7:30 PM

Colin may want to put you on a different plan or feel that a 50 is plenty...which is totally fine with me! Every person is different when it comes to training but just from swim coaching experience..I typically recommend doing more than a 50 for a warm up! Maybe a 200 easy free or back is a really great way to warm up your muscles and prepare your body for your upcoming workout!

Sarah,

Ya, I agree that just a 50 w/u is not adequate, I just need to force myself to do more. I think having Colin and yourself with a lot of swimming experience will help me develop some good workouts, and give me a sense of accountability! If you have any w/o you recommend, I'd love to try them out.

Andrew

Ahhh, this is another weakness:  warming up!!!  In all sports!  I'll also try to be better about warm-ups.  Stretching is something else I could do better at.  Someone's mentioned yoga.  In February I tried to make it a point to go to at least one yoga or pilates class a week... and I was going to 1-2 classes each week (sometimes 3)... but now, umm... I haven't been to one in a couple of weeks. Undecided  I need to change that!  To anyone who hasn't given yoga and pilates a shot, I recommend it!  A few years ago I had taken a yoga class and I really wasn't all that into it, but thought I'd give it a try again this year.  I think it's been good to me (I have hopes that it makes up for my lack of stretching Laughing), so I need to start going again. Smile
2010-04-19 6:49 PM

Orlando, FL
Colin,

Thanks for the input. In regards to the swimming, and actually the entire schedule, the length of each workout is somewhat arbitrary right now, once I figure out which w/o is easy,med,hard, I'll get more proper lengths. As for time in the pool, I take 12min/500m.
For a brick w/o, I've switched the Monday morning run to a brick right after the Tuesday bike. I feel this will work best because if I do a group ride on Saturday, or just a REALLY long ride, I would want to probably hang around with others or whatnot. However, if it seems to you that a brick would be best on Saturday, I can definitely place it there.

For the intensity, for running and biking, I'm hoping to do a long easy w/o, an interval w/o, and a "hard but not too hard" w/o. 
For swimming, I currently plan on following w/o's from the website I linked previously:
http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_18wOly.asp
  but I'd love to do anything you or Sarah recommend, as I feel both of yall are well more qualified than I Smile

Thanks for your help!

Andrew
2010-04-19 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2802735

michgirlsk - 2010-04-19 6:45 PM

Sarah,

Andrew

Ahhh, this is another weakness:  warming up!!!  In all sports!  I'll also try to be better about warm-ups.  Stretching is something else I could do better at.  Someone's mentioned yoga.  In February I tried to make it a point to go to at least one yoga or pilates class a week... and I was going to 1-2 classes each week (sometimes 3)... but now, umm... I haven't been to one in a couple of weeks. Undecided  I need to change that!  To anyone who hasn't given yoga and pilates a shot, I recommend it!  A few years ago I had taken a yoga class and I really wasn't all that into it, but thought I'd give it a try again this year.  I think it's been good to me (I have hopes that it makes up for my lack of stretching Laughing), so I need to start going again. Smile

Yoga does help with stretching and strength.  But, the most important aspect is the breathing.  I find that when I am tired and out of breath if I remember my Yoga Breath then I can quickly catch my breath faster.  Secondly, it has taught me to relax more (this is for my Muay Thai Training) but can be used in any Tri disciplines.  I find that if I do not go more than twice a weak, I get achy and sore.

Plus it helps that the classes are included with the gym membership.

2010-04-19 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2802105

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-04-19 3:52 PM
Thanks for the additional info Samantha.  Hopefully the stationary bike was the cause of the knee issue.  Unfortunately it can be difficult to gets those things setup/fit properly each time and as I mentioned before, the fit is very important.  I would definitely have the shop take a look at the fitting of your bike if possible when you bring it over to get the issue you noticed fixed.

We're going to see you not having a job a positive because it means you have plenty of time to train Smile.  I'm really surprised that you don't mind doing the longer sets in the pool if you dislike intervals.  I find that I get bored in some of the longer sets I do.  As I asked Andrew to do, would you like to do a timed 200 yard or meter swim next time you hit the pool so we can track your improvements?

What do you think of the video I sent you?  Is it a spot image of what you look like in the pool?  Smile  Haha well I hope you guys all find that looking at that beneficial.

Perfectly fine to plan your workouts according to distance as opposed to time.  So how long does it usually take for you to get your 1750m swim in?  Let me know and we'll whip up a new workout to try.

Also, thanks for contributing on the heart rate monitoring.  However, as you mentioned at the end, it would be ideal do know your HR during the workouts as it will vary quite a bit during the workout depending on the many variables that go into that particular workout.  Nonetheless, it certainly wouldn't hurt to get an idea of what your HR is as you are finishing the workout.

Colin, I THINK that's what I look like in the pool, but I know it's not!!!!!!  haha!  Anyway, I do think (hope) the more I look at the correct form, the more it'll become naturally ingrained in my mind, and then transfer over to my actual swimming!  Or so I hope!  Perhaps it was mental, but I always felt I got better at tennis by diligently watching the grand slams, haha!

I have temporarily misplaced my digital camera (the way I would be able to take a video), but I'll try to find it.  It will give me an excuse to look for it.  I've been wanting to find it, I just haven't gotten around to it. hehe.

But in the meantime, the next time I swim, I'll time myself for a 200m time.  (Wow that was a lot of times in one sentence LOL.)  As for my swim paces for my long swims, generally speaking, it's been about 2:25/100m, which is actually an improvement from when I started.  When I started, I was at 2:30+ per 100, and I was always happy to see sub-2:30 for 100m.  A few days ago I surprised myself and swam 1750m at a 2:14/100m pace, and I was really happy about that!!  I guess I decided to push myself a little harder, because my heart rate afterwards was about 135bpm, whereas usually my long swims end with a 105-110bpm heart rate.

Okay, I'll report back to you with my 200m time!

2010-04-19 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2802769

User image

Expert
MI
Hey everyone!

So it seems like we've got a few runners here, so for those of you with experience, I've got some 5k questions for you!  I have a 5K next Wednesday (4/28).

First off, the simple question- how should I warm up before the race??

Next, how should I pace myself?  What I was thinking about doing is going at my goal pace for the first mile, then for the second mile just go as I feel (which would likely be slower than my first), and then try to just go with what I have left for the last mile.  And at which point should I just give it all I've got?  half a mile, quarter mile to go?

Any and all thoughts on how to run a 5k are appreciated!  Thanks!
2010-04-19 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello Everyone hope all is well....

Colin my 20 week program is coming to an end this week and I'm going to do my first Oly. tri on 6/13/10, what program should I do, this week is a recover week, also what are your thoughts on what I should do to get the weight coming off? All suggestions are welcome from our members... I usually avg. 2:00 min/100yards   17-18.5 avg on bike hills drop my average a bit, the run just getting back into after knee surgery in Feb. 2010

2010-04-19 8:03 PM

User image

Road Bikes for Beginners

Hi all.  I am hoping to get some advice about entry level road bikes. I don't currently own a bike at all and I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$. Hopefully I can find something for $700 or less. I realize that won't get much, but as I'm just training for my first tri now thats fine.  First-new or used? Any thoughts? Either way any specific names people really like?
Thanks!
Chad

2010-04-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2800764

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-04-19 9:16 AM It has been so interesting reading everyone's story and training/race plans.  Its tough not to get intimidated!

Colin, my strengths/weaknesses...

Swimming:  I have good basic technique that probably needs some cleanup.  I can't tell if I'm fast or slow, though.  I feel slow, but even swimming in the "fast" lane at my pool, I pass other swimmers regularly.  I need to build up my endurance and I know that my form starts to break down after a while.  I will use the resources you've provided and start hitting the pool an extra workout each week when the show I'm in closes.

Biking:  WEAKNESS!!!  Until last week, it had been 20 years since I rode a bike.  But I got on and practiced a few times and will keep doing so.

Running:  I feel like I have this pretty well under control and I love that the swimming and biking give me a better option that an easy run or recovery run. 

If I can figure out how, I'll give the group access to my training logs so that people can make comments or suggestions.  And I'll be happy to offer any theoretical/book knowledge that I can - that degree ought to be good for something!

Hey Sarah,

Please don't be intimidated.  Based off what you been saying, I think you're going to make a terrific triathlete.  I mean come on, "I feel slow, but even swimming in the "fast" lane at my pool, I pass other swimmers regularly."   Clearly you have some natural athletic ability so let's put it to good use.Smile

OK, so it does sounds like we've got to work on your cycling.  What type of bike do you have?  Has the bike been fit for you?  Do you feel comfortable while riding?

Glad to hear you're confident with your running.  You'll really appreciate that during your tri races. 

A look at your training logs would be great, but its not the end of the world.   However, if you can't provide them, could you provide some examples of your normal training.  Please make sure to include the intensity of each workout.  Do you have a heart rate monitor?

I hope we'll have you full of confidence soon!
2010-04-19 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2802226

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
skiplong - 2010-04-19 4:23 PM Name:  My name is Skip and my user is skiplong

Story:  I’ve toyed with the thought of triathlon on and off for several years.  It always seemed like a cool idea, but I was too busy mountain biking, backpacking and surfing in Southern California.  A move back closer to home to the flatlands of Virginia cut out the surfing and mountain biking and limited my backpacking.  I need to have some sort of outdoor activity in my life or I go crazy.  So need, desire and opportunity all came together at the same time and here I am.

Status:  I am currently married with no children.  We do have a cute basset hound and a cute chihuahua puppy.  And a really old cat.

Current Training:  I’m preparing for my first Sprint.  I try to get in training 4 days per week.  I’m really trying to develop the habit of exercise.  I was doing really well just a couple months ago, but then life happened and set me back.  I’m building back up and am determined to continue this as a lifestyle!  

Last Year’s Races:  Nada.

2010 Races:  I’m registered for my first Sprint on May 23rd!!  Past that, I think I’ll do an additional Sprint in July and maybe my reach goal of an Oly in September.

Weight loss:  My knees, belt and I are all interested in this.

Why I want to be in Colin’s group:  Colin is the coolest!  Colin has gone out of his way to help me.  He is very enthusiastic and has offered great advice to me in the past.  So this time I begged to be a part of his mentor group.  I can’t believe how fast this filled up, but he has been kind to me once again and is allowing me in, even though I’m late.  Thanks Colin!

Welcome Skip!  So we've got a really full group, but I couldn't say no to my man Skip!

I'm glad your back on track!  How's the swimming coming along?  I hope you've been making some improvements with it.  Your first race is coming up quick!  I'm confident we'll have you ready to rock if we can keep on track until then.  So do you have any specific questions right now Skip?

Really glad to have you. 

2010-04-19 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2802701

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

Sarah,

Andrew

Great point Sarah.  I did notice that, but kind of over looked it at this point.  I totally agree that a 50 yard warm up is inadequate.  I typically have 300 yard warm ups in my workouts, but sometimes only 200s.  Let's get a look at those videos and then we'll get you some workouts.  Sound good?
2010-04-19 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2802811

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-04-19 8:16 PM Hey everyone!

So it seems like we've got a few runners here, so for those of you with experience, I've got some 5k questions for you!  I have a 5K next Wednesday (4/28).

First off, the simple question- how should I warm up before the race??

Next, how should I pace myself?  What I was thinking about doing is going at my goal pace for the first mile, then for the second mile just go as I feel (which would likely be slower than my first), and then try to just go with what I have left for the last mile.  And at which point should I just give it all I've got?  half a mile, quarter mile to go?

Any and all thoughts on how to run a 5k are appreciated!  Thanks!

Hey Samantha,

Don't worry about your swim times right now and those numbers really aren't too bad.  However, I'm confident we can make some great improvements with a few adjustments or getting you to focus on a few things.

As for yoga, like Chris, I'm a huge believe in it.  Chris listed some great points about all the benefits it brings to your body.  I hope you can back to your.  Your body will thank you for itSmile

Now for the 5K warm up.  Since a race like this is so short, it is very important that you are fully warmed up prior to the race.  I recommend at least a 10 minute slowed placed with a few short tempo sprints in there to really get the blood flowing.  After doing so, do some active stretching.  Try to do this within a few minutes of the race if possible.

I just had a member of my old mentor group do a 5K race with this warm up and he won the race!  Smile

What do other people do/recommend?

2010-04-19 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2802928

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-04-19 9:00 PM Hello Everyone hope all is well....

Colin my 20 week program is coming to an end this week and I'm going to do my first Oly. tri on 6/13/10, what program should I do, this week is a recover week, also what are your thoughts on what I should do to get the weight coming off? All suggestions are welcome from our members... I usually avg. 2:00 min/100yards   17-18.5 avg on bike hills drop my average a bit, the run just getting back into after knee surgery in Feb. 2010

Hey Tim,

Which program exactly were you doing?  I'm a little unclear on what we do because of your knee.  You've got just under 2 months so we'd have to jump into the middle of one of the programs.  We may want to consider the bike focused program.  That way we can give your knee some time to heal and take your cycling to the next level.  So what does your Dr. say about how much running you should do?
2010-04-19 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2802940

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-04-19 9:03 PM

Road Bikes for Beginners

Hi all.  I am hoping to get some advice about entry level road bikes. I don't currently own a bike at all and I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$. Hopefully I can find something for $700 or less. I realize that won't get much, but as I'm just training for my first tri now thats fine.  First-new or used? Any thoughts? Either way any specific names people really like?
Thanks!
Chad

Hey Chad,

This is a great question.  At that price point, I would strongly recommend considering something used.  Yes, it will be used, but you'll be able to get a much better bike with some much better components.  I actually just had a friend that biked up a used road bike with clip on aero bars and pedals for $650 on Craigslist.  I would start looking on there.  One other benefit of going used and you will probably find something that includes pedals.  You should expect to pay at least $150 for shoes and pedals so that is something to consider.  Do you know what size bike you need?  Send me the link to anything you're considering and I'll give you my input.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24