Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-09-06 11:59 PM
in reply to: #3084449

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
journeyback - 2010-09-06 8:22 PM Hi all. Just came out of Open heart surgery recovery, and have the okay to swim again. I was registered for my first TRI in Aug, but never made it- failed stress test with no sympoms and heart damage. My training partner did race and she did well. I was training since Oct on my own, use to be a lifegaurd, but not swam competitively for 25years. Now married and with a daughter and job-44. finally returning to serious training and  sport. Struggling with proper training and confidence again. Want to start training for next year and want some direction on my swim technique. Where can I gt visuals fo a good stroke, which stroke is best, what about back stroke...etc. want group to train with or chat and keep me honest...focussed. Signed ....long way back....

You can use any stroke you feel comfortable with. If you use backstroke, you will have to work out a way to roll over and sight, otherwise you'll wander all over (Unless its a pool swim). Many beginners use a combination of freestyle alternated with breaststroke. If you do that, I recommend you stay to the side so you don't run the danger of kicking someone with your breaststroke kick.

Go to youtube, and search for total immersion, swimsmooth, learning freestyle, and you will find a TON of very good, instructional videos. If you can find an instructor to actually be at the pool with you, that is the very best way.

Welcome back, take it slow and steady, and enjoy!!

John

2010-09-07 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3084260

Wow, that bike trip sounds so cool!
When you are following a training plan, you usually have a race at the end that you are preparing for. Depending on how much time you miss, you may have to reschedule the race, come back to training where you left off, or if you missed time but stayed very active you may be able to go up in volume 10% on the week you get back. Usually people know ahead of time that they will be missing time and adjust the training plan accordingly, either by repeating weeks and stretching out the program or adjusting the start date.
Jessica

Thanks for the advice.

2010-09-07 10:24 AM

journeyback - 2010-09-06 10:22 PM Hi all. Just came out of Open heart surgery recovery, and have the okay to swim again. I was registered for my first TRI in Aug, but never made it- failed stress test with no sympoms and heart damage. My training partner did race and she did well. I was training since Oct on my own, use to be a lifegaurd, but not swam competitively for 25years. Now married and with a daughter and job-44. finally returning to serious training and  sport. Struggling with proper training and confidence again. Want to start training for next year and want some direction on my swim technique. Where can I gt visuals fo a good stroke, which stroke is best, what about back stroke...etc. want group to train with or chat and keep me honest...focussed. Signed ....long way back....[/QUOTE

I am now 9 years post stent and doing well but I remember very distinctly what it felt like to get started and to again trust your body. Good luck.

2010-09-07 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3052877

another newbie question. got back from the bike trip and swam three days in a row after the nine day layoff. I was going to run after the swim but with all the *** kicking in the set, recent bike trip, and consecutive swims I was done.  although it likely varies between individuals how much time compression is ok. 4/week? 5/week? that is how many rest days for swimming. I can pretty well judge the biking and running.

2010-09-07 8:11 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
journeyback - 2010-09-06 10:22 PM Hi all. Just came out of Open heart surgery recovery, and have the okay to swim again. I was registered for my first TRI in Aug, but never made it- failed stress test with no sympoms and heart damage. My training partner did race and she did well. I was training since Oct on my own, use to be a lifegaurd, but not swam competitively for 25years. Now married and with a daughter and job-44. finally returning to serious training and  sport. Struggling with proper training and confidence again. Want to start training for next year and want some direction on my swim technique. Where can I gt visuals fo a good stroke, which stroke is best, what about back stroke...etc. want group to train with or chat and keep me honest...focussed. Signed ....long way back....

Welcome to BT and congrats on your successful surgery and recovery! You WILL regain confidence and you WILL get back in the swing of things. We are here to help you as you return to training.
Jessica
2010-09-07 8:33 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hey all! Did week 1 workout 2 tonight.  Although I CAN walk and chew gum I had a problem counting strokes and remembering to breath every 3rd, kick, blow out under the water and keep my hips up etc.  I noticed when I paid closer attention to my counting I would forget to kick, and then I was slower and took more strokes.  In any case I could not get my stroke count down by 1 on every lap.  Went from 21 or 22 to about 19.  Much harder than I thought it would be. 

Taking the breaks as directed made it an easy swim though which was nice.  Like others have mentioned I feel like I am gasping at times when I swim for any longer distance.  I managed to swim an Oly on 8/29 but probably used breast stroke for at least 1/2 to 2/3 rds to keep from getting too winded.  My goal for the winter is to become one of those smooth easy swimmers.

2010-09-07 8:35 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Trakker-was your bike trip organized by a tour group? Is so, could you post the name? Sounds like a trip I would love to do someday!
2010-09-07 8:37 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
JourneyBack-Welcome back to training and a new lifestyle!!
2010-09-07 9:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
I'm not doing this program(yet) but got back in the pool for laps for the first time in a long time this morning. Can't afford the masters swim dues on student budget but they have a trial period so I'm using it for now. Anyway I was breathing every other stroke usually the same side but I had a problem with ware always going up my nose or mouth. Coach told me it's cause I am breathing forwards and to look back when I come up for air but it was still happening. Ideas for breathing drills I can donon my own?Thanks!!
2010-09-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3086426

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-09-07 8:33 PM Hey all! Did week 1 workout 2 tonight.  Although I CAN walk and chew gum I had a problem counting strokes and remembering to breath every 3rd, kick, blow out under the water and keep my hips up etc.  I noticed when I paid closer attention to my counting I would forget to kick, and then I was slower and took more strokes.  In any case I could not get my stroke count down by 1 on every lap.  Went from 21 or 22 to about 19.  Much harder than I thought it would be. 

This is very common. It's hard to keep track of every aspect of your stroke at once. Getting from 22 to 19 is awesome!
Jessica
2010-09-09 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3086034

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
trakker - 2010-09-07 4:18 PM

another newbie question. got back from the bike trip and swam three days in a row after the nine day layoff. I was going to run after the swim but with all the *** kicking in the set, recent bike trip, and consecutive swims I was done.  although it likely varies between individuals how much time compression is ok. 4/week? 5/week? that is how many rest days for swimming. I can pretty well judge the biking and running.

Help me understand the question a bit better. Swimming three days in a row is sure to be tiring after 9 days off, so I would recommend going to every other day until you feel recovered from the bike trip. Or just swim every day but nothing else for a week or so.
Jessica

2010-09-10 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3088649

Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-09 7:15 AM

Help me understand the question a bit better. Swimming three days in a row is sure to be tiring after 9 days off, so I would recommend going to every other day until you feel recovered from the bike trip. Or just swim every day but nothing else for a week or so.
Jessica

Ah. The question is, in a progressive sequence like this, how quickly can you progress through it? Swimming 7 days a week likely not good. 3 days a week and I am impatient. I assume that the body adapts to swimming like it does in biking/running, i.e. the body changes take place during the rest day. How much rest? 1 day off between workouts enough? 1 day between a series of 3? I am not worried about feeling tired. I want to get the benefit of the workouts. Does that make more sense?

2010-09-10 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3092190

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trakker - 2010-09-10 3:26 PM

Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-09 7:15 AM

Jessica

Ah. The question is, in a progressive sequence like this, how quickly can you progress through it? Swimming 7 days a week likely not good. 3 days a week and I am impatient. I assume that the body adapts to swimming like it does in biking/running, i.e. the body changes take place during the rest day. How much rest? 1 day off between workouts enough? 1 day between a series of 3? I am not worried about feeling tired. I want to get the benefit of the workouts. Does that make more sense?

You actually recover faster for swimming because there is really no impact, and you can double up easier with swimming because it's primarily upper body. There's no reason that you couldn't swim every day, just don't hammer it all the time. Stick in some LSD type swimming on days when you need a rest. To start, I might do 2 days on, 1 day off for your swimming rotation. First day, longer distance sets (200-400's), and second day intervals/threshold work. You could throw in some drills on both days as well.

The thing to take care with is that you don't stack days where you trash yourself in the water with days where you trash your legs unless you have a full day off or similar, otherwise your body gets torn down too quickly.

Work the volume up in swimming, just pay attention to the hard days on the bike/run, and don't stack them up with death in the water type days. :D

John
2010-09-11 6:56 AM
in reply to: #3092443

John ... Thanks! That helps a lot. Just want to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb. trakker
2010-09-13 8:35 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
I am just starting week 2 and hope to get all 3 workouts in this week.  I liked doing the 8 x 25 with each 25 faster for 4 laps. Is that what is meant when I see the term "build" in other swim workout plans?  I feel like I am resting a lot but it does let me complete the workouts comfortably so I guess that is good.
2010-09-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: #3096798

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-09-13 8:35 PM I am just starting week 2 and hope to get all 3 workouts in this week.  I liked doing the 8 x 25 with each 25 faster for 4 laps. Is that what is meant when I see the term "build" in other swim workout plans?  I feel like I am resting a lot but it does let me complete the workouts comfortably so I guess that is good.

Yes, that it was "build" means. I am glad you are enjoying the program. Resting a lot helps to ensure that your form doesn't fall apart, so enjoy that rest!

2010-09-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3096798

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
KOM - 2010-09-13 6:35 PM I am just starting week 2 and hope to get all 3 workouts in this week.  I liked doing the 8 x 25 with each 25 faster for 4 laps. Is that what is meant when I see the term "build" in other swim workout plans?  I feel like I am resting a lot but it does let me complete the workouts comfortably so I guess that is good.

Yep, you've got it!

And don't underestimate the rest intervals. When you start doing intervals, which are short distance, all out type things, the rest period is just as important as everything else.

There's basically 3 types of workouts, and this applies to all sports.

LSD - Long, slow distance. As Scout says for running, "Run. Run often. Sometimes hard, mostly easy". Get the time in, build up the endurance base.

Threshold - Near race pace (85%+ of race pace), short rest periods. This kind of a workout will extend the time you can spend at your race pace before tiring.

Interval - 100%+ of your race pace, long rest periods. This kind of a workout will increase your speed level.

So an interval workout will make your race pace faster, and a threshold workout will increase the amount of time you can sustain that pace. If you ignore the rest periods on an interval workout and cut them short, you are not getting everything out of the workout that you could.

John
2010-09-15 9:51 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Thanks for the info. I will get Wk 2 Wkout 2 done today.  Shooting for swim 3x/wk as per the plan.  Past issues with shoulder bursitis/tendonitis/frozen shoulder so hoping  to keep this at bay and use those neglected lats!
2010-09-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3099700

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-09-15 9:51 AM Thanks for the info. I will get Wk 2 Wkout 2 done today.  Shooting for swim 3x/wk as per the plan.  Past issues with shoulder bursitis/tendonitis/frozen shoulder so hoping  to keep this at bay and use those neglected lats!

Hmm...do you do any kind of core work? Might help as you try to engage your latts and other core muscles instead of the shoulders. Also, do you take a fish oil supplement? Good research showing Omega-3s are anti-inflammatory.
2010-09-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3100012

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-15 12:21 PM
KOM - 2010-09-15 9:51 AM Thanks for the info. I will get Wk 2 Wkout 2 done today.  Shooting for swim 3x/wk as per the plan.  Past issues with shoulder bursitis/tendonitis/frozen shoulder so hoping  to keep this at bay and use those neglected lats!

Hmm...do you do any kind of core work? Might help as you try to engage your latts and other core muscles instead of the shoulders. Also, do you take a fish oil supplement? Good research showing Omega-3s are anti-inflammatory.
Yup, core stuff 2-3 times per week.  I am going to try to restart my PT exercises for my shoulder too.  No on the fish oil.  I've thought about it just not very compliant on taking pills....
2010-09-15 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3100146

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-09-15 11:59 AM
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-15 12:21 PM

Yup, core stuff 2-3 times per week.  I am going to try to restart my PT exercises for my shoulder too.  No on the fish oil.  I've thought about it just not very compliant on taking pills....

None of us are! I wish I could find a way to remember to take them! I actually prefer lemon flavored liquid fish oil over the pills.

2010-09-18 2:19 PM

User image

Centennial CO
Anyone else have problems with the kick board?  I just learned to swim in May at the local rec center and while I am not afraid of water I don't like water.  Everyone else in the class was very afraid of water so we mostly did bobs for 4 weeks and learned the red cross back stroke and breast stroke.  My first tri I just used the breast stroke and did fine but I am trying to really work on improving the crawl so I can get through the swim better.  The plans look like a foreign language and when I get to the kick board I don't go anywhere.  Seems like I can kick forever and the other side of the pool never gets any closer.  Then I lose patience and just start swimming.  So my question is how do you work the kick board correctly so you go somewhere and not get frustrated? 

Also the instructor told me to breath every stroke for long distance swimming but I see here most people do every third.  Any advice on that?
Thanks for the help.  I need a lot.
Kelli
2010-09-18 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3105979

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
pennyminpin - 2010-09-18 12:19 PM Anyone else have problems with the kick board?  I just learned to swim in May at the local rec center and while I am not afraid of water I don't like water.  Everyone else in the class was very afraid of water so we mostly did bobs for 4 weeks and learned the red cross back stroke and breast stroke.  My first tri I just used the breast stroke and did fine but I am trying to really work on improving the crawl so I can get through the swim better.  The plans look like a foreign language and when I get to the kick board I don't go anywhere.  Seems like I can kick forever and the other side of the pool never gets any closer.  Then I lose patience and just start swimming.  So my question is how do you work the kick board correctly so you go somewhere and not get frustrated? 

Also the instructor told me to breath every stroke for long distance swimming but I see here most people do every third.  Any advice on that?
Kelli

The problem with most new swimmers' kicks is they have poor ankle flexibility, and/or the kick from the knees. Sit on the couch, and stick your leg straight out. Now point your toes, and try to make a straight line from your knee to your big toe. If you can't, then you need to work on ankle flexibility, as that point is a large part of the propulsion.

Zoomers and fins will also help with ankle flexibility.

For the kick, lots and lots of scissor kicks, both in and out of the water. You want the kick to originate at the hip, with just a slight bit of knee bend, and the kick kind of "whips", rather than the up and down motion when it starts from the knee.

As far as the breathing, just breath in whatever pattern is comfortable. If that's every other stroke, every third, sixth, whatever. Just breath in, then breath out until you need to breath in again. :p

John
2010-09-18 10:14 PM

User image

Centennial CO
What are zoomers?

I am flexible.  No problem there.  

Coordination might be another issue Cry    Concentrate on the arm stroke and the legs don't kick.  Concentrate on the legs and the arms don't seem to work.   Since my last tri is canceled I guess I have until next spring to figure it out and get all parts working in concert.
2010-09-18 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3105979

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
pennyminpin - 2010-09-18 12:19 PM  Seems like I can kick forever and the other side of the pool never gets any closer.  Then I lose patience and just start swimming.  So my question is how do you work the kick board correctly so you go somewhere and not get frustrated? 

Kelli

I had the same problem with my kick.  Back in August I perused the Total Immersion Swimming forums, searching for "kick".  Thankfully, I stumbled upon one person's description of proper kicking motion.  The proper kick described as being like Michael Jackson's "moon walk" - only in the water. The description of moon walking in water was exactly what I needed and the lightbulb went on for me.  Once I envisioned moon walking and applied the basic moon walk movement to my kick, I had instant propulsion. 

I breathe every third stroke, but when I start getting winded I will go to a 3-2-3-2 combo.  My swim coach has encouraged me to do that if I feel I need to breathe more.  As my swim fitness improves, I need fewer 2's, so my breathing might look more like 3-3-3-2-3-3-3-2, etc.

Edited by betyoursilver 2010-09-18 11:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16