BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-12-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3256073

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED
OK, there's some stuff to respond to above, but first, I've got a little table that you might find useful.  It's what I'll use to keep track of the group.  Feel free to copy and paste into your own BT blog if you wish.  As I mentioned, we might grow by one and if so, I'll post an amended list.  Oh, and the link at the top takes you here.  The other links take you to each member's profile, from which you can quickly (buttons at the bottom of the profile) get to logs and race reports.

Winter training group
Screen nameReal Name
ExperiorMichael
njc65Neil
Jeff1975Jeff
erfarrellRusty
davisjanis58Jan
mdetuyaManuel
melbo55Melanie
billeckertBill
kathy79Kathy
sumayahroseLaura
HannahDHannah
DaveBIM2010Dave
TiesimTiernan

Edited by Experior 2010-12-30 10:52 AM

2010-12-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3267738

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Jeff1975 - 2010-12-30 9:47 AM

In response to Michael's question, m?y biggest training obstacle is time.  During the week I am out the door every morning at 6 and go nonstop until about 8 in the evening.  Any weekday training occurs after my son is in bed.  My plan for the coming weeks is to join a gym with a pool so that I can swim /run over lunch and potentially get in some training before work.

Wow.  That's quite a work schedule!  The fact that you can swim or run over lunch is a huge help.  If you have to leave at 6am, you might not find a pool open early enough to swim before work, but early morning is a great time to run.  I love how I feel when I start work after an early morning run.  It really gives me energy for the day.

If I were in your shoes, what I'd aim for, generally, is to run before work, swim at lunch, and bike on the trainer at night (not necessarily all three every day of course!).  Use the weekend for longer runs and bike rides.  On days that you don't swim, you can 'sleep in' a bit and run at lunch.
2010-12-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3267931

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
melbo55 - 2010-12-30 11:01 AM

In response to Michael's opening question for us, one of the biggest challenges for me to 'get out the door' is balancing my other sport interests (ice hockey, martial arts) with tri training.  One of my other limiters is I really don't like running (probably because it is my worst discipline).  Scratch that, I enjoy trail running (despise the treadmill), but early darkness this time of year limits my ability to go during the week after work.  Love swimming and am very comfortable in water, I'm just not fast, and I've always enjoyed biking.  Again, I'm no speed demon, but I'm probably average speed and really enjoy it.

And although my other sports don't directly support my tri training, the strength and core workout I get from Tae Kwon Do is beneficial as well as the stretching and balance.  And hockey, well, that is just plain a great way to get a workout! Smile

Rick, I'm so glad you were moved to tri by IMLP!  I have never competed there, but watched friends race it in 2009 and volunteered in 2010, and have plans to watch/support friends again in 2011.  LOVE the beauty of the region and the awesomeness of the determination/speed/ability of the athletes.

And it is great to have some fellow females in this group, Hannah and Laura!

I'm with you hating the treadmill and loving the trail.  I don't get to run on trails very often, but when I can, I do.  I almost never run on a treadmill.  (I think I've done so about 10 times in my life.)

One thing I do to try to balance my other activities is to combine them.  For example, I like to play disc golf (I was semi-pro at it for a while, but was never good enough to make any real money).  My family likes to play with me, so I'll meet them at the course by running to it.  And biking is of course also a great mode of transportation.  I also sometimes commute to work by running (there is a shower there).  Of course, you don't want to kill yourself before your other activity!  Keep the pace easy if you are running or biking to another athletic activity, and think of the run or bike as a warm-up.  I don't know whether this is feasible for you, but it's a thought.
2010-12-30 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3267981

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
billeckert - 2010-12-30 11:20 AM The great thing that I have found about training for triathlon is that you get to do different things each day.  In the past when I just ran, swam, biked or lifted weights, it got boring and repetitious.  Being able to mix it up each week helps me stay motivated to get out the door.  I'm following the 20 week Sprint 3x balanced program.  This program does each of the three sports 3 times per week.  3 swim/bike days and 3 run days with 1 day rest.  The program is set up to progressively increase the length of the workout each week with a recovery week every fourth week.  I know that I can miss a workout if I am sick or have some other obligation come up.  I also know that missing too many will put me off schedule and will make the future workouts of increasing intensity that much harder.  I have to follow it or I will not be ready in April.  I think following a set program like this has helped me stay motivated.  Also, I have started this and I have told too many people what I am doing.  I will feel too much like a quitter if I do not train consistently so that I can complete the event.  This being my first tri, that is my goal, COMPLETE.

The hardest part of getting out the door for me is the swim.  I have to travel 40 minutes one way to the pool.  I also have to coordinate that with my son who is going to try the triathlon with me.  Sometimes we have to switch some days around or combine different excercises so that we can complete the workouts each week.  For the bike and run, I do those right at my house.  I have some land and we have two loops for the run that total 1.42 miles.  It is good because we are training on a trail which lessens the impact of the run on my overweight body.  It is also relaxing to be in the woods and not be on the road with vehicles and their exhaust.  I live in the country and there are numerous back roads around here that I use to bike on.  I have several different routes and that keeps it interesting.  I am riding an older Trek 820 mountain bike.  It comes in handy on some of the roads that are dirt. It does not have shocks so it rides more like a road bike than a regular mountain bike does.

So so far we have boredom/keep it interesting and schedule/be flexible.  Weather obviously plays a role also.  If weather looks bad on a bike or run day I just try to switch some days up for that week so that everything gets done.  I also know that my bike is probably my strongest event so that if I have to miss a day it is the first one to go.  Run is my second in best.  At least I know that I can walk/run a 5K.  So swim is my most important item.  Swim is the hardest for me because it is just so different and I have not swam for competition in 28 years.  Since weather cannot impact swim training I have definitely made a committment to getting into the pool 3 times a week.

How about just being tired.  The other day I was tired and just did not feel like it.  I had already swam that day and needed to do a 44 minute bike.  I almost did not do it.  I finally convinced myself by saying let's ride a little different route until the time is up.  Just relax and ride but don't push too hard.  So off I went.  I biked for 47 minutes and while my pace was a little slower than normal I was glad I got the ride in.  It made me feel better from the excercise and knowing that I had completed all of that days training.  So if your tired just go do it and try to change it up a little for that day and take it a little easier.

OK, I am done.  I did not think I had this much to say.  I hope I didn't get too far off track

Lots of great stuff here, Bill.  Feeling accountable to others is also a big deal for me.  I have a few friends with whom I bike occasionally.  When we do, there is frequently some pretty hard hammering going on, and I don't like getting dropped!  That sometimes motivates me to train.  Stating a goal and making it known to others is also a great motivator.

Swim is also the most difficult for me.  The pool here is only open for lap swimming at very select times.  I just got done working out a swim schedule (swimming starts in a week or so for me).  It helps to have someone who is expecting you to be there.  Last year a friend and I had a semi-formal arrangement to meet daily at a certain time.  That helped motivate me to go because I knew he was expecting me.

Your last point is very important.  99% of the time when we don't want to train, we are glad we did afterward.  That is very helpful to remember.  The next time you don't feel like going, remember that you will probably be glad you did afterward.  Remember that feeling.  That's probably the most important strategy for me.
2010-12-30 11:17 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Great stuff so far.  I'm working on a longer post about consistency and how to achieve it, but right now I'm off to run!  More later...

Keep it coming!
2010-12-30 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3267356

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
HannahD - 2010-12-29 11:33 PM Thanks Michael!  

My biggest obstacle seems to be not using my time effectively.  I know I have PLENTY of time to train (I don't have kids yet and I am a professional photographer making my own schedule).  I still, like anyone, have a million things to do, but I sit around figure out what to do when and how and why and in what color (oh wait, that's just the lists) rather than just doing it.  As I write this I am halfway through a (very pretty) color coded training schedule.  Which, if I were doing my usual thing, would be remade 8 or 12 times before I actually START training.  I'm pretty sure I just need to make myself appointments in my calendar just like I would for a client...

Oops.  I still have this.  I promise I'm not ignoring you Hannah!

The color-coded training lists are fun -- I do that too!  In fact, I just did it this morning because my schedule is about to change in a big way.  I completely agree that putting down specific times for training in your calendar is the way to go.  When I get back from running, I'll show you what I do.  Maybe it'll help.

2010-12-30 11:32 AM

Columbia, SC
Michael,

I didn't know if was to early to start asking questions here.  Are you going to recommend training programs or next steps for us true beginners?  I have been looking at the Sprint - 3x Balanced - 20 Week and Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week programs.

Do you or anyone else in the group have an opinion on the need to get a GPS-enabled personal training device like the Garmin 305?  It seems like this would make it easier to track miles, etc.  I'm starting from the ground up here and really look forward to the groups collective wisdom.

2010-12-30 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3268151

Regular
SC
Rusty, I received a 305 for Christmas and I was able to try it out last night for the first time.  It is an awesome gadget/tool.  Mine is set up to display pace, time, heart rate, and distance.  I almost hit a mailbox trying to eyeball my speed while running last night.  The device also comes with a CD that will install a data manager program onto your computer which will display/store all the info collected while you are training.  I think it will be a really fun tool for me, and I haven't even read the manual yet to see what all it can do.
That said when I started training I just used a watch with a timer and drove my routes to figure out the mileage.  Later on I picked up a watch with a lap feature.  For me, the GPS enabled wrist computer wasn't necessary right out of the gate.  My first serious tri related purchase was some decent running shoes.
2010-12-30 12:44 PM

User image

Regular
Port Moody
Hey Rusty,
I have the 305 and its a fantastic training tool. It make s it so easy to log all your workouts here on BT and as well on the Garmin connect site. has so many options for training such as pace, time, speed, ave pace, ave speed HR, distance, ect. You can get a mount for the bike so it sits on your bars in front of you. You can map your route on Mapmytri and download it to the garmin and follow the route, The only thing I did not like was the ability to use in open water swimming it did not maintain the satellite conection while wearing it on the wrist, very internmtent! but when tucked in swim cap in the back it worked great.
Highly recomend it
Dave
2010-12-30 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3268242

Columbia, SC
Thanks Jeff.  The 310XT also looks great, but not worth the extra $ for me at this point.  The 305 always gets great reviews and the $ is right.  DC Rainmaker always has great equipment reviews as follows:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2007/11/review-of-garmin-forerunner-305.html

I hear you on the running shoes. I moved to the Asics GEL-Nimbus last year and my feet/knees feel so much better.

2010-12-30 12:57 PM

User image

Regular
Hi everybody!
This is exciting! So glad to talk to like-minded people.

My biggest obstacle to consistency is my work schedule. I work 3 12 hr night shifts a week, sometimes in a row, sometimes split up, some overtime. There is not much time for anything but sleep when I am working several shifts in a row. And then, working nights, I feel terrible sometimes and don't feel like working out even though I really want to because I love it.
Sometime family obligations get in the way too but it really helps to be signed up for a race since I can tell them I am training since otherwise they look at my workouts like why do you do that and they (workouts) are not important.

Thanks for doing this, Michael and thanks for including me in the group. I already feel this will be helpful for me.
Jan

2010-12-30 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3268300

New user
UK

Hi Team

The 2nd biggest obstacle for me like most is work as I tend to travel a fair bit around the UK, but it hasn't impacted too?  much. I always believe the biggest obstacle is between the ears, ie mental strength to get out and train, I suffer from this at times which stops my consistency which I must improve. This is where I think the group will be great in supporting each other and motivating each other, delighted to be in the gang. We all have individual goals in 2011, let’s really help each other achieve them and celebrate accordingly.

Wishing you all a happy healthy prosperous 2011, a great triathlon year and a bucket full of fun along the way! x

Edited by njc65 2010-12-30 1:09 PM
2010-12-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3268026

New user
UK
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - OPEN
Experior - 2010-12-30 4:37 PM
njc65 - 2010-12-29 11:11 AM Hi Michael. I have identified a few races that I'll do, will add/amend to them in due course. Current 2011 as follows:

30/01 - Ferriby 10 miles (run)
06/03 - Clumber Park Duathlon
20/03 - East Hull 20 miles run (possible depending on fitness)
April - Sprint Triathlon somewhere
08/05 - Beverley 10k (run)
15/05 - Hull 10k (run)
29/05 - OLympic Triathlon somewhere
19/06 - UK 70.3 - Wimbleball
(Jul - Aug) TBA
11/09 - Leeds Olympic Triathlon

What do you think?

Hi Neil.  This post slipped by me earlier -- sorry.

That looks like a great schedule.  Your Oly is about the right distance from the HIM.  Don't underestimate how much that 20 mile run will take out of you.  I wouldn't schedule a sprint the following week (but two or three weeks later should be OK).

Yep I will have a quiet July, my club has a sprint a couple of weeks after the 70.3 so I'll do that, hoping my 12 year old daughter will be doing the junior race too. I spend the first 2 weeks in August in Lanzarote each year with the family, I'm up early each morning for a run on the edge of the ocean which I love and also plenty of swimming in there too. I have a dream of doing the Ironman there in the next few years, that will be my Kona!
2010-12-30 1:49 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Greetings 2011 Group Experiors!

Just a quick hello and good luck from one of last year's members.  You all are really fortunate to have Michael as a mentor. He's super knowledgeable, quick to respond, and knows how to puke after a tough workout.  What more could you ask for?  In all seriousness though, Michael was one of the main reasons 2010 was a great year for me.  His suggestions / pointers were always right on.  Lots of great insights.  I look forward to lurking :-)

Best wishes for a great 2011 racing season and may you surpass all your goals!

Stu
2010-12-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3267162

To reply to Michael's first question, my constraints are mainly time.  I work full time and will have school on Monday nights (until 10:00), homework, and then the home life stuff (spend time with hubby, household duties). I also have to get back into the routine of going to the gym instead of going home and sitting on the couch with a good book.  I can barely get to work on time so going to the gym before work is out of the question. 
2010-12-30 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3268061

New user
UK
Experior - 2010-12-30 4:51 PM OK, there's some stuff to respond to above, but first, I've got a little table that you might find useful.  It's what I'll use to keep track of the group.  Feel free to copy and paste into your own BT blog if you wish.  As I mentioned, we might grow by one and if so, I'll post an amended list.  Oh, and the link at the top takes you here.  The other links take you to each member's profile, from which you can quickly (buttons at the bottom of the profile) get to logs and race reports.

Winter training group
Screen nameReal Name
ExperiorMichael
njc65Neil
Jeff1975Jeff
erfarrellRusty
davisjanis58Jan
mdetuyaManuel
melbo55Melanie
billeckertBill
kathy79Kathy
sumayahroseLaura
HannahDHannah
DaveBIM2010Dave
TiesimTiernan

All added to my list peeps x

2010-12-30 4:21 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Hey everyone.  From time to time I will make a longer post where I lay out what I think I've learned about some topic related to training.  (If you find these useful and you've got a topic in mind, please feel free to suggest it.  If I feel I can say more than a few words about it, I'll have a go.)  Here's the first, taking off from what some of you have said about consistency.

For those who aren't prone to read long missives like this, I will always attempt to summarize what I think the take-home message is in a short paragraph at the end.

And remember, I'm just one guy with his opinion.  Feel free to give us your own point of view!

Consistency in Endurance Training

We hear it said all the time:  consistency is key in endurance training.  But what exactly does 'consistency' mean, and why is it so important?  And how can we maintain it?

What is Consistency?

First, let's be clear about what 'consistency' does not mean (at least not here).  It does not mean that we do the same workout every time we step out the door (or hop on the bike, or jump in the pool, or walk into the gym).  Nor does it mean that we do the same type of training year round.  Nor does it mean that we never take a break.  It is important to vary our workouts over the course of a week, to vary our overall training regimen of the course of the year, and to get some rest from time to time to let the inevitable little aches and pains heal up.

Consistency means getting sufficiently many well-designed training sessions in per week, reasonably spaced throughout the week, to achieve our fitness goals.  Those goals will be different at different times of the year, and different for different people.  After an Ironman race, fitness will inevitably decline -- mere mortals cannot maintain peak Ironman fitness indefinitely.  So we train less.  Our goal is not to improve fitness, or even to maintain it.  Our goal is to recover and not lose too much fitness.  On the flip side, during the build portion of a training plan, our goal is to, well, build (fitness).  At other times, we may be interested in just maintaining, or building a very specific type of fitness (for example, 5K speed, or endurance for a century ride).

Because we have so many different goals, our definition of 'consistency' is necessarily vague.  How do we fill in the details?  There is no magic formula, but there are a few guidelines.

First, there is a minimum number of training sessions per week that we will need to do in order to maintain or improve.  And while this number will depend on a lot of individual factors, it is not equal to 1, and it is probably not equal to 2.  (For some very fit individuals, 1 or 2 might be enough to maintain for a short while, but not long-term.  For individuals who are coming off the couch, 1 or 2 will provide some gains short term, but eventually 1 or 2 will not be enough.)  There are wildly different training methodologies out there -- some advocate high volume, low intensity, while others advocate lower volume and high intensity, and there are plenty of points between those extremes, but I am not aware of any successful training plan that, as a matter of general course, would have anybody training swim bike or run just once per week.  As I mentioned above, many beginner plans will have one doing each twice per week, and for beginners this frequency will get you to the starting line (and more important, across the finish line).  However, it will not take long before twice a week is not enough to make further gains.

Second, these sessions need to be reasonably well 'designed'.  I'm not talking about fancy sets of intervals or complicated progression runs or the like.  There is a place for that stuff, but the bottom line is that we are best served by there not being too large of an imbalance from one session to the next.  Running 2 miles 2 times a week, and 15 miles once a week is a good way to get injured.  Yes, it is OK to make some sessions longer or harder -- indeed, race-specific preparation normally demands that we do so.  But do so within reason.  That 19 miles of running would be better split up as (for example) 5-7-7, or even better as 4-4-4-7.  The same goes (though to a lesser extent) with biking and swimming.  Two 30 minute rides during the week followed by a century on the weekend is a poor use of your training time.

Third and finally, we are better off spacing our workouts relatively evenly throughout the week, and keeping the harder efforts apart from each other if possible.  It is all too common (I'm guilty!) for endurance athletes to miss a few workouts during the week and then load up on the weekend to 'make up for lost time'.  (This desire to 'make up for lost time' often leads to the kind of imbalances I mentioned above.)  The result is more likely than not to be an injury.  If you're lucky, you won't get injured, just so tired and sore that you take Monday through Wednesday off, and then the vicious cycle has begun.

Why Does it Matter?

Speaking metaphorically, training for endurance sport is all about tearing the body down so that it can rebuild itself stronger ("better, stronger, faster" for those who watched American TV in the 70s).  Less metaphorically, and focusing just on the muscles for the moment, exercise causes some damage to your muscles.  This is especially true of exercise that involves eccentric contractions, meaning that the muscle is contracting at the same time that it is lengthening because of some load.  (Running involves a lot of eccentric contraction which is one reason it is so easy to hurt yourself running.)  The precise nature of this damage is not completely understood, and it varies with the intensity of the exercise, but it appears to include damage to connective tissue, the tissues that surround muscle fibers ('fascia'), and perhaps even the fibers themselves, or the parts of them that are responsible for contraction.

In any case, whatever the nature of the damage, when you are done exercising, your body goes to work cleaning up the mess.  It sends in the troops (largely in the form of white blood cells, specifically macrophages and neutrophils, which is why muscles can swell up after hard exercise) to eat up the damaged proteins, and the reinforcements (largely in the form of new proteins).  For reasons that are, to my knowledge, not well understood, the rebuilt muscle tissue is, well, better, stronger, and faster.  In fact, physiologists call this process of rebuilding 'remodeling' and that's a good name inasmuch as the new muscle is improved over the old. They call the fact that remodeling produces improvements the 'repeated bout effect'.

The best theory going about why intense exercise makes us sore is that there are pain receptors in and around the muscles that are triggered by the byproducts of the process described above.  This is why (according to the theory) it takes a while for muscle soreness to set in.  (In any case, the old 'lactic acid' theory of soreness is debunked -- lactic acid clears from your muscle in less than 2 hours in the worst cases.)  However -- and this is important -- don't think that you need to be sore in order to get the benefits of the repeated bout effect.  In fact, 99.9% of the time you do not want to train to the point of being sore the next day.  (OK, those of you who are just starting out can ignore that last statement -- it is very difficult to avoid soreness when you are just starting out.  Don't worry; this will go away quickly (in weeks, not months) -- because of the repeated bout effect!)  You get remodeled muscles even when you exercise more moderately.  And you get the added benefit of being able to do it again the next day, and the next, and the next, and this consistency is much better for you than the slash and burn method of slaying yourself and then being laid up for 4 days before you can train again. You get far more remodels this way.

Exercise has other physiological benefits of course. The major one is that your body gets more efficient at getting energy to the place it is needed (your muscles). It also becomes able to deliver more energy (more precisely, it supplies more of what your muscles need to make energy, and your muscles become better equipped to use this additional supply). This increase in efficiency and volume is achieved in several ways. Your heart gets bigger and stronger. Some muscle fibers are converted from anaerobic but powerful types (Type IIb, 'fast twitch') to aerobically efficient, fatigue-resistant, types (Type IIa, and possibly Type I, 'slow twitch'). Your capillaries expand in size and number, enhancing the flow of oxygen and nutrients to your muscles, and the flow of waste out of them. Your number of mitochondria (the cells largely responsible for the production of energy) increases. And we could go on...

Every time you train, you make little improvements on all of these fronts. If you train big one day, then rest 4 days, you get one session of improvement, followed by 4 days where your body says "you know, we didn't really need to do that now did we?". In other words, your body pretty quickly reverses the small improvements you get from a single bout of exercise. It quickly adapts to what it is told that it needs. You have to continually convince your body that yes, you do need those little improvements. The only way to do that is to exercise. Consistently.

How Do I Do It?

OK, so I hope now you're convinced that consistency is key. How do we achieve it? There are really two issues here. (1) How can we be sure that our bodies can handle a consistent training regimen? (2) How can we get out the door (onto the bike, into the pool, into the gym) on a consistent basis with everything else going on in our lives?

The answer to (1) is easy: don't train too hard. In running, this means running easy (conversation is possible) most of the time. As a general guideline, keep the really intense running to around 5% of your total running per week. And don't go hard if your body is telling you not to. In biking, we can handle more intensity (because there is less impact and less eccentric contraction going on). Again as a very general guideline (these numbers are very much ballpark and will vary based on a lot of things, but they'll give you an idea), maybe 25% of your biking can be very hard, 50% moderate, and 25% relatively easy. (By 'relatively easy' I don't mean soft-pedaling. This isn't a Sunday, stop and smell the flowers, cruise pace, but it is one where holding a conversation is not a problem.) Swimming is even lower impact, and you can afford to put some very intense swimming into just about every, if not every, training session. The main thing to watch out for is shoulder injury, which can be more of a problem for those (such as myself...) with form issues. Going very hard with poor form can lead to injury. Overuse is also possible. Listen to your body.

The answer to (2) is hard. The first thing to say here is that once you get sufficiently involved in triathlon, you will want to train most days. It won't be a struggle -- you will desire to train. That still leaves us with two problems: what do you do when you don't want to train, and how do you make the time to train?

Here I think that the number of answers is just about equal to the number of people. I'll tell you what works for me, and what I've heard working for others. Maybe something here will work for you.

As for lack of desire, one thing that works for me is remembering that at the end of any training session, I am almost always glad that I did it, even if I'm not super thrilled about getting started. I try to remember that feeling of satisfaction that I get from getting it done on days when the fire isn't in the belly. Often just remembering what that feels like is enough to get me jump-started. Another is having training partners. So you told your friend that you'd meet up for the group ride Saturday morning at 6am. It's 5:30am and your bed really is comfy and warm. But no way are you going to leave your friend sitting out there in the cold. So you go. That's what friend's are for! Finally, committing to a goal, and making that goal known to others, is a great way to maintain motivation.

As for lack of time, it's a problem most of us face. Two things that help are to commit each day to a time to train, and to be prepared to take advantage of unexpected opportunities to train.

Don't just say "Sometime today I'm going to go for a run". Say "At noon today, I'm going to go for a run." Treat it as you would an appointment with a work colleague; you wouldn't cancel or move that appointment without a good reason. The same goes for your training 'appointment'. Second, be ready to take advantage of unplanned training time. Was that meeting at 4:00 just canceled? Well, what are you waiting for, get over to the pool and go for a swim! The thing is, for this to work, you have to be ready. Your swim bag (or a spare one) lives in your car. A pair of running shoes and gear lives in your office. Your bike is always ready to roll on a moment's notice. You might be surprised how much training time you can find just by being ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself.

Combining sessions, or combining training with other activities can sometimes be useful. One of my favorite workouts is to run to the pool, swim, then run home. Commuting to work or other places by running or biking can also be a very efficient use of time. Finally, while none of us wants to lose perspective on what's important, do be prepared to make some sacrifices. The life of an endurance athlete (at least, one who is employed and has a family) is probably not compatible with 4 hours of TV a night, for example. Something has to give. Ask yourself what you want to look back on 10 years from now -- 15,000 hours of television or a long-term commitment to a healthy lifestyle and the memory of crossing the finish line feeling strong and looking good? The answer is clear!

The Take-Home

• Try to train at least twice a week in each discipline, 3 times if you are not a pure beginner.
  • Make sure that each session leaves you ready to do the next one. Go easier the day before and the day after your really hard sessions.
  • You get better physiological adaptations from several sessions of varying intensity than from just a very few mega-sessions.
  • Find a way to stay motivated.
  • Commit each training day to a specific session at a specific time, but also be prepared to take advantage of unexpected opportunities to train.
2010-12-30 4:40 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
erfarrell - 2010-12-30 12:32 PM Michael,

I didn't know if was to early to start asking questions here.  Are you going to recommend training programs or next steps for us true beginners?  I have been looking at the Sprint - 3x Balanced - 20 Week and Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week programs.

Do you or anyone else in the group have an opinion on the need to get a GPS-enabled personal training device like the Garmin 305?  It seems like this would make it easier to track miles, etc.  I'm starting from the ground up here and really look forward to the groups collective wisdom.

Never a bad time to ask questions, Rusty!  Lake Murray is a great goal for you.  Are you comfortable in the water?  What is your swimming background?  Have you swum in open water?  I ask because swim is normally the limiter for beginners, unless they have a background of formal training in swimming.  The swim at Lake Murray can be unpredictable.  (Two years ago it was windy and rough; last year it was like glass.)  You definitely have time to work up to that -- it is 5 months away -- but if swim is the main obstacle for you, then you should plan to do a swim-focused plan.  You could, for example, try the 3x balanced plan but add in an extra swim.

I'll be doing some OWS at Lake Murray as soon as it is feasible (with a wetsuit), possibly with others.  You'd be welcome to come along if you want.

If you were to do a 20 week plan, you'd need to start a couple of weeks in, as the race is, I think, 18 weeks from this Saturday (correct me if I'm wrong).  So my question to you is:  can you handle the volume shown in the 3rd week or is that too much?  If it looks feasible to you, then I think that would be a great place to start.  It is always good to have a real goal to work towards.

Which YMCA triathlon did you have in mind?  There are several around the state.

If Lake Murray doesn't look feasible for you, then there are plenty of others to aim for.  Tri the Midlands is a great race, for example, a bit later in the season.
2010-12-30 4:57 PM
in reply to: #3268300

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
davisjanis58 - 2010-12-30 1:57 PM Hi everybody!
This is exciting! So glad to talk to like-minded people.

My biggest obstacle to consistency is my work schedule. I work 3 12 hr night shifts a week, sometimes in a row, sometimes split up, some overtime. There is not much time for anything but sleep when I am working several shifts in a row. And then, working nights, I feel terrible sometimes and don't feel like working out even though I really want to because I love it.
Sometime family obligations get in the way too but it really helps to be signed up for a race since I can tell them I am training since otherwise they look at my workouts like why do you do that and they (workouts) are not important.

Thanks for doing this, Michael and thanks for including me in the group. I already feel this will be helpful for me.
Jan

That's a tough work schedule.  I am blessed with a flexible work schedule (though the number of hours per week can be intense sometimes), so I haven't had to deal with this specific problem.

Anybody have ideas for Jan?

Here is one thought:  On weeks when you are working three 12 hr shifts back to back to back, I wouldn't try to do much.  Maybe just get in a quick and easy ride on the trainer (if you have one) or a quick run.  You are already stressing your body quite a lot during that time.  On weeks when your shifts are split up, it seems a bit easier.

As for family, and not encroaching too much on family time, one of the things I'm very careful about is to make my training as 'invisible' as possible.  I'm not talking about hiding the fact that I train.  My wife knows that I train a lot.  It's more about not putting it in her face.  So during normal times of year (not right now) I train largely in the early morning and at lunchtime.  I also make sure that I never leave obvious chores undone for her while I'm training.  So, for example, I won't go for a run before washing the dishes in the sink, and so on.

There was a great thread on this a while back.  I just tried to find it and cannot.  It is possible that I'm searching for the wrong thing, or that somebody said something stupid in the thread and it got pulled.  If I find it, I'll post the link.

You might try posting in the main forum.  No doubt there are others with a similar work schedule and they might have better ideas for you.
2010-12-30 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3268441

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
juneapple - 2010-12-30 2:49 PM Greetings 2011 Group Experiors!

Just a quick hello and good luck from one of last year's members.  You all are really fortunate to have Michael as a mentor. He's super knowledgeable, quick to respond, and knows how to puke after a tough workout.  What more could you ask for?  In all seriousness though, Michael was one of the main reasons 2010 was a great year for me.  His suggestions / pointers were always right on.  Lots of great insights.  I look forward to lurking :-)

Best wishes for a great 2011 racing season and may you surpass all your goals!

Stu

Thanks Stu!  You and Heidi are going to have a good group this year too!
2010-12-30 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
erfarrell - 2010-12-30 5:32 PM Michael,

Hi Rusty,

I bought the 310xt last january and have found it to be my best training aid, the ability to review your hard work 1 makes it easier to log, and 2 by logging the history, it gives you motivation to get back out there. The 310xt is pricey and in my view the same as the 305 other than its waterproof so good for racing with it on, any gps watch will keep you happy for a long time

Have fun shopping

2010-12-30 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3267505

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Subject: RE: Experior's Mentor Group - OPEN

Hi mate good to see a fellow Brit in the group but more importantly...see you at Wimbleball, it's going to be fun mate! Neil

Hey Neil !

I joined this group coz i saw you were doing wimbleball and thought it would be fun to train "virtually" together with a mutual target, will be good to see you there ! Where in the uk are you ? Im in southampton. Have you booked accomodation yet, a friend did it last year and said its a knightmare to find anything close if you leave it too late, i am dragging my family down to watch, so booking up a cottage for 10 people, i bet they dont have banners though !! T
2010-12-30 6:57 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi everyone,

please feel free to simply call me T as thats what I am known as,

happy new year !

T
2010-12-30 7:14 PM

User image

Expert
Micheal, I noticed that my name was not on Neils list, am I to late?  If not I will fill out my profile tomorrow.
2010-12-30 7:55 PM

User image

Regular
Delmar
Hello, everyone. 

In response to Michael's question:

Time is my first obstacle. Work, family and other social commitments usually find a way to conflict with training hours. I decided to start training very early in the morning: I am at the pool or on the spinning bike by 5 am (I think it is now fair to mention that I do not own a bike ... yet). If I have a chance during lunch, I either walk across the street from my office into the gym and lift or I go out for a 30-40 minute run. Weekends are a struggle as well so even Saturdays and Sundays, I hit the road (run) very early.

After reading Michael's post on consistency, I have to say that my biggest obstacle is boredom. Michael's point about incorporating variety into your training schedule is key. If you just jump into the pool or start running the same distance or bike the same route over and over again, you will start asking yourself what the point is. 

It is so nice to be able to share your thoughts with people who have the same goals and interest. 
Thanks Michael for the first great post on consistency ... 

- Manuel 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19