BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-12-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3256514

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Open
Name: wmcgee62/Wes

Status: 48 Wide Body and working on my PFG (Previous Fat Guy) status

Story: I was a boxer in the Air Force. Got out and went to England for two years, while there I played American Football as a defensive linesman but was moved to offensive line to improve protection for the QB.  Then at 5 9 I weighted in any where from 290 to 320. Needless to say I was a big boy (loved  to eat)  My wife died in 2005 and I decided to change my ways with eating. January 2010 I decided I wanted to do a triathlon. Knowing my weakness was swimming I got a swimming instructor. I love the pool but absolutely suck at swimming.  

2010 Accomplishment: PR my 5K in May  Kept working on my swimming and can at least say I am swimming now. Tweaked my knee good while running  (worn out shoes)  could still do biking so did varying rides from 35 to 90 miles. most were 50 to 60 miles

2011 Goals: Doing the Michigan Wish a mile where you ride for charity (Make a Wish foundation)  its 300 miles ride -3 days of 100 miles each.   I not only want to finish but want to do it well. I have fell in love with biking.  Drop my weight where I am no longer in  the Clydesdale class for triathlon. Keep building my fitness level to do the 2012 IMWI

2011 Races: -

Steelcase Duathlon- 24 April
Borgess Half Mary - 8 May
Doubletime Tri  w/gf 4 June
Beaver Island Bike Festival  23-26 June
Wish a mile  28- 30 July
Fremont Tri  w/gf  13 Aug
Benton Harbor HIM volunteer 14 Aug
Iron Man Wi to watch/cheer  11 Sept
Apple Cider Century  25 Sept

On the fence about doing Half Iron Man Branson MO 18 Sept  if not Will do a Half Iron somewhere here in MI

2010-12-29 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3266688

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
wmcgee62 - 2010-12-29 2:44 PM Name: wmcgee62/Wes

Status: 48 Wide Body and working on my PFG (Previous Fat Guy) status

Story: I was a boxer in the Air Force. Got out and went to England for two years, while there I played American Football as a defensive linesman but was moved to offensive line to improve protection for the QB.  Then at 5 9 I weighted in any where from 290 to 320. Needless to say I was a big boy (loved  to eat)  My wife died in 2005 and I decided to change my ways with eating. January 2010 I decided I wanted to do a triathlon. Knowing my weakness was swimming I got a swimming instructor. I love the pool but absolutely suck at swimming.  

2010 Accomplishment: PR my 5K in May  Kept working on my swimming and can at least say I am swimming now. Tweaked my knee good while running  (worn out shoes)  could still do biking so did varying rides from 35 to 90 miles. most were 50 to 60 miles

2011 Goals: Doing the Michigan Wish a mile where you ride for charity (Make a Wish foundation)  its 300 miles ride -3 days of 100 miles each.   I not only want to finish but want to do it well. I have fell in love with biking.  Drop my weight where I am no longer in  the Clydesdale class for triathlon. Keep building my fitness level to do the 2012 IMWI

2011 Races: -

Steelcase Duathlon- 24 April
Borgess Half Mary - 8 May
Doubletime Tri  w/gf 4 June
Beaver Island Bike Festival  23-26 June
Wish a mile  28- 30 July
Fremont Tri  w/gf  13 Aug
Benton Harbor HIM volunteer 14 Aug
Iron Man Wi to watch/cheer  11 Sept
Apple Cider Century  25 Sept

On the fence about doing Half Iron Man Branson MO 18 Sept  if not Will do a Half Iron somewhere here in MI

Hi Wes,

Sorry about your wife.

That 3 x 100 mile bike sounds cool. We have a bike across Wis that I would like to do some year, it is a week long so I would have to use a weeks vacation.

Go Air Force! I spent 5 years in the AF, 3 of which I spent in Germany. It was cool, got to do a lot of European marathons (Berlin, Munich, London, Dublin). My last year at Berlin I got a Boston qualifyer.

Taking swim lessons is a great move, there is so much to learn there. If you love the pool that is a plus. I have trouble getting myself in the pool, as you can tell from my yearly swim miles.
2010-12-29 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Just to let everyone know, the mentor program runs from Jan - March/April. Last year they had a new program that started in April. I plan to keep this group going for those that want to stay past April.

Last year I wan't have to keep mine going past April and I missed not seeing how everyones races went. It is fun to see how your races go and see your training pay off.
2010-12-29 3:40 PM

User image

New user

Madison, WI
Subject: introduction and january goals
Hi All,

I thought I'd share a little more about myself.

Name: Merriann

Status: I'm 49, have a very supportive spouse, a daughter (15) and a son (10). I have a doctorate in Molecular Biology and over the last 15 years have transitioned from a "bench" scientist to a "marketing" scientist. After a recent job loss I have returned to school and I'm looking for part-time work.

2010 Achievements: Besides not strangling my teenage daughter, I finished the half-ironman in Racine with a smile on my face!

2011 Race Goals: Finish Ironman Wisconsin 2011 with a smile on my face!

Training Plan: I"ll be using Fink's "Be Iron Fit" as a guide for my training plan. I've also joined a local bicycle club's training program for a century called the "Horribly Hilly Hundreds" that takes place in June. Hopefully this will help with IM Moos infamous bike course. I'm not sure how, but I would like to get some tips on open water swimming. I've been adding at least a quarter mile to most of my race swims and it gets a little embarrassing!

January Goals:
Swim: 17,700 yrds
Bike: 9 hrs (on trainer)
Run: 6 hrs 45' (outside and on treadmill)
I'll try and update my BT log weekly.

Happy New Year,
Merriann
2010-12-29 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3265976

User image

Regular
Lenny,

Thanks for the website, that is the reason why I love the Mentor Groups, sharing of great information by members.

2010-12-29 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3266797

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: RE: introduction and january goals
merriann - 2010-12-29 3:40 PM Hi All,

I thought I'd share a little more about myself.

Name: Merriann

Status: I'm 49, have a very supportive spouse, a daughter (15) and a son (10). I have a doctorate in Molecular Biology and over the last 15 years have transitioned from a "bench" scientist to a "marketing" scientist. After a recent job loss I have returned to school and I'm looking for part-time work.

2010 Achievements: Besides not strangling my teenage daughter, I finished the half-ironman in Racine with a smile on my face!

2011 Race Goals: Finish Ironman Wisconsin 2011 with a smile on my face!

Training Plan: I"ll be using Fink's "Be Iron Fit" as a guide for my training plan. I've also joined a local bicycle club's training program for a century called the "Horribly Hilly Hundreds" that takes place in June. Hopefully this will help with IM Moos infamous bike course. I'm not sure how, but I would like to get some tips on open water swimming. I've been adding at least a quarter mile to most of my race swims and it gets a little embarrassing!

January Goals:
Swim: 17,700 yrds
Bike: 9 hrs (on trainer)
Run: 6 hrs 45' (outside and on treadmill)
I'll try and update my BT log weekly.

Happy New Year,
Merriann

Wow molecular biology, that sounds cool.

So are you also doing the HHH? I have heard of the race but never done it.

I used Be Iron Fit for my IM, I like that the long run and bike are on the weekends. Don't remember how it is set up, but it is a good idea to add a short run after the long bike and short run before the long runs. You don't have to do it all the time but it is nice to get some in.

I did Racine in '05 & '07 before it was an IM 70.3. It was a nice race as long as Lake MI wasn't too rough.

2010-12-29 4:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
So does anyone do any other sports in the off season or is everyone getting ready for tri season.

I am training for some CC ski races right now. I will still bike a couple times a week, but not sure if I will make it back to the pool until March.
2010-12-29 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3266243

User image

Regular
Lenny,

I have checked with some physical therapists that my doctor recommended.  I am going slow, as directed, and will be doing some strenghtening exercises to help increase the shin mucle, which should prevent shin splints.

As for my occupation, Application Engineer, my full title is Application and Installation Engineer.  I work for Caterpillar and I work with our dealers to provide the correct engine or genset that meets their customers needs.  If we do not offer anything, I work with them to provide a custom part or component that will work.  I mainly interface with our design engineers and our dealers.

Here are my January Goals:

Run - 28 miles (slow, progress)
Bike (trainer) - 2 hours
Swim - 4000 meters
Weights - 4 hours
Core - 2 hours

My initial plan for January is 3 x run/week, 1 x swim, 1 x trainer, 1 x core, and 1 x weights.  I am focused on the 1/2 Marathon in May for the time being and getting in my distance on the run.

2010-12-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3266797

Greenville, South Carolina
Merriann I know what you mean. Have 2 teenage daughters of my own. They were so sweet until about age 12. THEN........... I see you are doing IM Wisconsin also. It will also be my first IM distance race and my goal too is to finish with a smile on my face.
2010-12-29 5:12 PM

Greenville, South Carolina
My goals for January:

1).Break out the F-I-R-S-T running program to start getting ready for the Earth Day half marathon here in Greer, SC in early April and the Palmetto 200 relay race with colleagues at work. It is a great program and a number of us have used it. Only run three days a week with very specific workouts.

2). Get out on my mountain bike at least 4 times. If the weather here in the south cooperates. Great new trail in the area which makes riding in the winter very easy.

3). Get back on a core strengthening program.
2010-12-29 6:23 PM
in reply to: #3266935

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
sdnebfan - 2010-12-29 6:02 PM Merriann I know what you mean. Have 2 teenage daughters of my own. They were so sweet until about age 12. THEN........... I see you are doing IM Wisconsin also. It will also be my first IM distance race and my goal too is to finish with a smile on my face.

17 year old girl here.  The nice thing about training for longer distance races is having an excuse to get out of the house for hours at a time.  May be the only reason I'm still (somewhat) sane.

2010-12-29 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
There are a couple mentions of  Fink's "BE IRON FIT" program. I have read it and thought I would be my program for the IMWI next year. I have been looking for training program for the half iron later this year. I actually sent into the MARK ALLEN ONLINE but need to be 20 weeks away from the race before we can start that.  I was thinking that I need a custom plan to start with due to the amount of biking training I need to do for the 300 miles then go into the Half iron man from there.  Will looking into CTS (Carmicheal Training Systems) and see what that will cost me. Any body out there got any other suggestions? 
2010-12-29 7:43 PM

My goals for Jan. - run for 30 minutes without walking(getting closer) then build up speed and distance, Swim better , Start riding for a May bike ride. Mainly have fun. Eating healtherand lose weight.

pretty simple.

zombie

2010-12-29 9:29 PM

Veteran
My goals for January is to get over with Achilles tendinitis so I can begin running again since being on the shelf from that activity for about 3 months and to continue with winter maintenance so I can transition into the HIM plan for september's race. See the doc on Tuesday so hopefully he will give me the go-ahead to ease into it. With my injury track history, I think I might need to take it really slow to avoid injury again
2010-12-30 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3267077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
wmcgee62 - 2010-12-29 6:56 PM There are a couple mentions of  Fink's "BE IRON FIT" program. I have read it and thought I would be my program for the IMWI next year. I have been looking for training program for the half iron later this year. I actually sent into the MARK ALLEN ONLINE but need to be 20 weeks away from the race before we can start that.  I was thinking that I need a custom plan to start with due to the amount of biking training I need to do for the 300 miles then go into the Half iron man from there.  Will looking into CTS (Carmicheal Training Systems) and see what that will cost me. Any body out there got any other suggestions? 

Have you looked at Jorge's training plan for cycling? It is on BT and is free.

As for your training plan, lets just say this is what I would do. Disclaimer, I am not an expert the online plans and the ones out of the book are probably better so this is just my 2 cents and I don't want you to base your whole season on it.

I would bike at least 3 x week, getting a long ride in there. For me I would run 3 x week, but I am a runner. You might want to run 2 x and swim 1 - 2 x week. After you start working for your HIM I would try and increase the run and swim to 2 - 3 x /week. When you get to that point you will have to look at doing two workouts in a day, not sure how that fits with ours schedule.
2010-12-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #3267815

User image

Veteran
Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I will look up Jorges training plan.    

2010-12-30 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3267887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
wmcgee62 - 2010-12-30 9:41 AM Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. I will look up Jorges training plan.    

Wes, If you go to the Forum "Challenge Me", then look for  "Cycle Program V3.0 2010 - 2011" The whole program is outlined there.
2010-12-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3267911

User image

Veteran
Thanks Lenny, I just downloaded it and will definitely dig in and see how it would fit.  I know I need to swim 3x a week or I feel I lose it what I gained.  Its not bad now but when Spring hits its harder to get to the gym cause every day that the sun shines as I get home all I think about  is a ride on the bike.
2010-12-30 2:15 PM

New user

I am from MN and would like to join your mentorship group. My wife is from Mosinee as I see you're from Wausau area. Another connection is Cable, WI where i went to school for a year and ski'd the Birki too Small world.
I am training for my first tri in June (sprint) and would like to do another spring in August after i've been able to train more during the summer. I am a teacher, father of 3 (5,3,1) and ran two half marathons this past summer. I am really excited about doing my first tri this spring/summer and would love any advice or support you may have to offer.

Thanks!

Dan

Edited by dschmoyer20 2010-12-30 2:26 PM
2010-12-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3268504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
dschmoyer20 - 2010-12-30 2:15 PM I am from MN and would like to join your mentorship group. My wife is from Mosinee as I see you're from Wausau area. Another connection is Cable, WI where i went to school for a year and ski'd the Birki too Small world.
I am training for my first try in June (sprint) and would like to do another spring in August after i've been able to train more during the summer. I am a teacher, father of 3 (5,3,1) and ran two half marathons this past summer. I am really excited about doing my first tri this spring/summer and would love any advice or support you may have to offer.

Thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan, Welcome to the group.

Doing your first tri is exciting, I am sure there will be a lot of questions. There are so many little thinks you need to make sure of vs doing a running race.

So are you a Packer fan? If not we will try not to hold it against you.

Cool, someone else that has done the Birkie. I might have to ask you questions. This Saturday I am taking some skate ski lessons. I know how to skate, its just a race of that distance I want to be as efficient as I can.

Wausau has a sprint tri the first weekend in August. This will be my 12th year in a roll doing that race.

Welcome to the group and ask questions.

2010-12-30 5:47 PM

Big accomplishment today for me today. I have not smoked for 1 year(quit cold turkey). Just had to share. Since I have made it a year now, I want to give up soda, and maybe caffeine (debating this one).

Later

Zombie/Ian

2010-12-30 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3268855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Zombie - 2010-12-30 5:47 PMBig accomplishment today for me today. I have not smoked for 1 year(quit cold turkey). Just had to share. Since I have made it a year now, I want to give up soda, and maybe caffeine (debating this one).Later Zombie/Ian
Great job on quitting smoking. Caffeine is our friend. I get up at 4:30, I need coffee to get myself ready for a workout.
2010-12-30 6:51 PM

New user

Colorado
Hi Lumber Dad--

I noticed you already have quite a few in your "club."  Can you take another one?  It is a little intimidating reading about all the races and accomplishments--mine is a short list......but I need a large group and I need experience.  I am truly green--a couple of 5K and 10K's under my belt and that is it.  Looking to run my 1st TRI in mid-October 2011.  One of your threads said--ask a lot of questions.  If you don't really mean this, better tell me you  are full!
Teri
2010-12-30 7:01 PM

User image

Hi Lumber Dad.

If there's still room I'd like to join also. Been a runner for the past 3 years but always wanted to do tri's. Finally decided to take the plunge in 2011 and planning on doing 2 races. Sprint distance in June and Olympic distance in Sept.

I want to progressively do longer distances from year to year to do my first HIM in 2012 and my first IM in 2013.

Thanks,
Sozzie
2010-12-30 7:38 PM

New user

Marlboro, Massachusetts
Hi  I would love to join your mentor group.  Alittle about myself, I'm 47 and getting back into tri's this year.  I have been training now for the past 2 months and starting to feel good again.  In the past ( well its been almost 8 years ) I have 5 IM distance races under my belt, 3 marathons, 2 ultra marathons and many long bike rides but all this seemed another lifetime ago.  I do have some very lofty goals for this year and 1 of them is to finish the Great Floridian Triathlon next october for my 6th IM distance race.   I think a mentor group will definitly help me with my plans and hopefully I can pass on any tips I may have , which is probably not many.  Please let me know if there is still room and what I have to do next

Thanks
Rich Ward
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lumber Dad's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19