BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-12-27 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3256537

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed
Sheila: Nice bike, road bikes are very cool - and fast

Michelle: Looked at your website, feel very unfit compared to you!

DaveWink 

2010-12-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: #3261794

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

cbarnes1 - 2010-12-26 10:36 AM "80% of gains are made with 20% effort"

What this means is you don't have to go as hard as you can or put in hours every day.  Your fitness will improve in chunks just by being consistent.  They key is getting out and doing something on a regular basis.  If you can make it fun and not a burden that will improve your chances of it becoming a lifestyle.  15 minutes 4 days a week is much better than an hour once a week.

Really love this!!! I am so prone to get caught up in working hard all the time in order to feel like I have accomplished something.  Thanks for sharing! I believe this one will be sent to the printer for constant viewing at work.

2010-12-27 7:14 AM
in reply to: #3262416

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

ibeshela - 2010-12-27 12:17 AM http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/avail.3.black.pink.white/7306/44531/

We put a deposit on my new 1st road bike.  Yeah....can't belive it didn't come with pedals, lol     Hope it's a good choice for my first TRI.  It's gotta be easier than my mountain bike.  It's a Giant too and I love that mnt bike.  Hope I love this one just as much.

GREAT bike Sheila!! Did you get the pink & black & white one?? You are so gonna love your road bike after riding a Mtn. Bike!!!  There'll be no stopping you now.......

2010-12-27 7:19 AM
in reply to: #3262230

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

cwpeters - 2010-12-26 7:23 PM Tried out my Christmas present last night, a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, with a Spinervals DVD.  I really think my bike hates me now.  That was one of the hardest workouts I've had.  Today I'm scheduled for a 70 minute hilly run.  The only problem, I live on the west coast of Florida, the only hills we have are bridges and with 20 mph winds and temps in the upper 30's, I think a bridge run is out.  Looks like its back to the bike.

We have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine and have built quite a library of Spinervals DVD's!!! Some of the workouts are really tough.  But once you build a library..you can have a choice of workouts   HAVE FUN WITH COACH TROY! I spent 45 minutes with him this morning. Oh..and we love the Kinetic after having two different CycleOps. 

2010-12-27 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Shiela - perfect bike for Iron Girl with the hills around Lake Las Vegas.  Did you get it from JT's?  Congrats!  You will feel fast.

David- I think 14k is a good long run for racing a 10k if you feel comfortable with the distance.  I would try to work in 1 tempo a week 5-7k.  Here is a great calculator for what paces you should be running:
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

I am buying my first 3 Spinerval DVD's today to try them out.  Thanks for the suggestions.
2010-12-27 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Henderson
Happy Monday!!!  Back to work!  Can't wait for Jan 1st to get here.  For some reason it will feel more like back to normal.  The holidays play some mind trick with exercise, food, sleep.  The routine, if that's what I had seems jacked up!

Well onward, hope you all are having a great morning.  I didn't get up or out this morning.  I have a question I was looking for some feedback on.  BTW, thanks for the coments about my bike.  So excited!!

So my first 1/2 marathon is Jan 8, less than 2 weeks now.  Between now and then I was looking for suggestions on my workouts or runs and nutrition in the days heading up to the race.  My longest run to date is 11 miles.  I hope I am ready for 13.1.  Any thoghts are appreciated!!

Have a great day!

2010-12-27 10:53 AM
in reply to: #3262500

User image

Regular
Henderson
Thanks, I got the black/pink/white. 
2010-12-27 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3262780

User image

Regular
Henderson

Yes we got it at JT's.  It's close to home, we have bought there before for the kids bikes.  They all seem very nice and knowledgeable. 

2010-12-27 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Sheila - This week fairly consistent with what you have been running with a long run this weekend around 8-10.  Next week 3,5,3 ish with 2 days rest before the race.  Somewhere in there I would think.  11 should be good for peak long run.

I have been happy with JT's.  They put my tri bike back together after I crashed it.  I still get weepy thinking about my poor bike.  Anyway, they have been good to me.
2010-12-27 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Oh and diet is really important 2 days out.  Whatever you are doing now for pre long run meals is good.  Try to eat well within those 2 days, but don't over do it.  People sometimes get carried away with their "carbo loading". 

For the race fluids are most improtant.  I like to alternate water / sports drink at each aid station.  A gel at mile 10 or so also gives me a little pick up.

Everyone is different so stick to what works for you.
2010-12-27 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Stretching after yesterday's long run and can barely touch my toes.  My flexibilty needs work.  Anybody have suggestions?  Michelle?

Edited by cbarnes1 2010-12-27 6:17 PM

2010-12-27 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3263398

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stretching: I find that dynamic stretches really help with functional flexibility along with some yoga stretches like the downward dog and warrior poses. The dynamic stretch that works best for me when in comes to hamstring flexibility is one we use in taekwondo pretty much every training session. Start with your right leg back (like you are walking but a longer stride) and then swing your right leg in front of you keeping it straight - start with waist height or even lower if you are really tight - bring your right leg back to the starting position - if you have room to move forward step forward with your right leg (leaving your left leg back) and repeat with your left leg. If you don't have much room just keep coming back to the start position so you do the move on the spot.
Each time you swing your leg you take it a little higher until you reach your maximum height then swing for 10 at your maximum height - aim for one swing per second or so.

To loosen hips and adductors and abductors you can also add the following.

Everything is exactly the same as the one above but instead of swinging directly in front you create a circle so you swing your right leg across your body towards your left side on the upward motion aiming to be at your full height directing in front and than taking your leg down in an arc towards the outside of your body.
The next is the same as above but in the opposite direction so you swing your right leg outwards and away from your right side.

None of this is done with force but a gentle swinging motion until you are used to this and can throw your leg with more force.

Be sure to use your abs to help you get your leg up as well.

Hope this helps

2010-12-27 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3262803

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

ibeshela - 2010-12-27 10:50 AM Happy Monday!!!  Back to work!  Can't wait for Jan 1st to get here.  For some reason it will feel more like back to normal.  The holidays play some mind trick with exercise, food, sleep.  The routine, if that's what I had seems jacked up!

Well onward, hope you all are having a great morning.  I didn't get up or out this morning.  I have a question I was looking for some feedback on.  BTW, thanks for the coments about my bike.  So excited!!

So my first 1/2 marathon is Jan 8, less than 2 weeks now.  Between now and then I was looking for suggestions on my workouts or runs and nutrition in the days heading up to the race.  My longest run to date is 11 miles.  I hope I am ready for 13.1.  Any thoghts are appreciated!!

Have a great day!

I agree with Chet about the training leading up to your half.  11 miles is plenty--adrenaline will keep you going on the last 2 miles of your event!!  Personally, I needed two gels on my half marathons and took an extra...just in case.  But whatever has worked for you in your training, should work for you in your race - so try not to change too much. And MOST of all.....HAVE FUN!!! Can't wait to hear how it went!  I was in Vegas earlier in the month at the Rock n Roll Half---quite a venue. 

2010-12-27 6:55 PM

Regular
Keller, TX
Got a decent swim in today. Have not bee in the pool for a while, but 2x500 with a 300 cd did the trick. I need lots more volume in the pool.

Also upgraded my running shoes today, last set had an unknown number of miles but they were feeling awful.

2010-12-27 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3263446

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
mmh - 2010-12-27 7:01 PM Stretching: I find that dynamic stretches really help with functional flexibility along with some yoga stretches like the downward dog and warrior poses. The dynamic stretch that works best for me when in comes to hamstring flexibility is one we use in taekwondo pretty much every training session. Start with your right leg back (like you are walking but a longer stride) and then swing your right leg in front of you keeping it straight - start with waist height or even lower if you are really tight - bring your right leg back to the starting position - if you have room to move forward step forward with your right leg (leaving your left leg back) and repeat with your left leg. If you don't have much room just keep coming back to the start position so you do the move on the spot.
Each time you swing your leg you take it a little higher until you reach your maximum height then swing for 10 at your maximum height - aim for one swing per second or so.

To loosen hips and adductors and abductors you can also add the following.

Everything is exactly the same as the one above but instead of swinging directly in front you create a circle so you swing your right leg across your body towards your left side on the upward motion aiming to be at your full height directing in front and than taking your leg down in an arc towards the outside of your body.
The next is the same as above but in the opposite direction so you swing your right leg outwards and away from your right side.

None of this is done with force but a gentle swinging motion until you are used to this and can throw your leg with more force.

Be sure to use your abs to help you get your leg up as well.

Hope this helps

OK, just have to say this, this post is useless without pictures! I'm an Athletic Trainer and I'm having a hard time visualizing this stretch. I will admit I do not use a lot of Yoga or Tae Kwon Do with my athletes. 
2010-12-27 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
cwperters - Think useless is a bit harsh - you could also try googling the yoga poses as there are millions of examples out there - you should probably know that though being a trainer and all.

Edited by mmh 2010-12-27 8:23 PM

2010-12-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3263398

User image

New user

Hot Yoga Chet... Great workout and you will be able to touch your palms on the ground after 90 minutes or so.
2010-12-27 8:35 PM

User image

New user

Well i picked the 16 week swim focused training program for olympic and they started me off with a brick workout - 500 meter swim for setting a baseline time and an hour bike ride. It felt good to finish the swim - 15 minutes. I need to work on that.
2010-12-27 8:57 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Steve - swimming is all about time in the pool huh? Good swim and new shoes... that's a good day.

Michele - I got it.  I had done my right leg and was about waist high then my left barely made it off the ground   I felt it right in the hamstring which is great.  It seems like it would be a great race warm up stretch too.  I am working it into my routine.  I use the "Stick" for calves and IT band, some yoga poses especially for the lower back and a number of others.  I run better when I am loose. 

Rob - Those time trials can be a butt kicker.  Congrats on picking a plan.  I like the different swim workouts the plans offer, keeps it fun.  Hot Yoga huh?  Hadn't considered that.   

2010-12-27 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3263618

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
mmh - 2010-12-27 9:21 PM cwperters - Think useless is a bit harsh - you could also try googling the yoga poses as there are millions of examples out there - you should probably know that though being a trainer and all.

Didn't mean it as a serious comment, was joking. Same comment is made in a lot triathlon talk threads.  Next time I make a sarcastic comment I'll make sure to use the red italics font.

On a serious note, if you have a website that you would recommend for finding these poses, please post it.  
2010-12-27 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Should have added a smiley face as well as reply was meant tongue in cheek.
Yoga pose link: http://www.yogacards.com/yoga/yoga-fitness/yoga-fitness-Arms-L-latr...

2010-12-27 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3263728

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
 Yoga pose link: http://www.yogacards.com/yoga/yoga-fitness/yoga-fitness-Arms-L-latr... />

This link will not load for me, is there another you use?

Edited by cwpeters 2010-12-27 11:42 PM
2010-12-27 11:44 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Just signed up for Miamiman HIM on November 13, 2011! Anyone want to join me?
2010-12-28 12:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Did you cut and paste it into your browser?
2010-12-28 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV
Nice Chris.  I am still looking for a fall HIM.  I think it is going to be Pumkinman though.  I get nervous shipping my bike, had one crushed by FedEx.  I did ship it for Beach to Battleship, gave my something else to stress about.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chet's Group is out doing it!- Closed Rss Feed  

of 28