BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3273181

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hokies 1st Timer's Group - Open
melkat - 2011-01-02 9:22 PM
junthank - 2011-01-01 9:56 PM  

Great to have a fellow Sarasotian on board.  Wow, you are quite the runner.

I just registered for the 2011 FIT earlier this week.  I thought they did a super job with that race last year.  We have a great OWS venue for swimming at Siesta Key.  Do you swim at a local pool?

I look forward to training with you for the FIT.  That will be my 1st race of the year.  I think you will really enjoy the vibe of that particular race.

Hope so, I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. I used to swim at the Berlin Y on Bahia Vista, but haven't been in awhile.  That's the hardest part of training for me since I can't do it from home. I did the Siesta duathlon two years in a row, but missed it last year in favor of a half marathon.

I'm one of those annoying UF fans so we can all talk some smack when football season rolls around again. My oldest daughter is also a senior in high school. She's been accepted to UCF and LSU, but we're waiting until Feb when the UF acceptance letters come out.

I got back on the bike today...it's been a long time. Still trying to adjust to the whole clipless deal. I resisted for a long time because i was afraid, but then I flipped my bike in regular shoes. Figured that I couldn't do any worse with clipless pedals Foot in mouth 

Chris...I think 'wogging' is defined differently by many folks, but my running group considers it a combo of walking and jogging. There are a couple different gurus (Jeff Galloway, John Bingham) that you can find online and in bookstores. I usually train to run 4 min, then walk 2, but have been doing R2/W1 since I had a bad cold earlier this month. I can run a 5K without walking, but have kept the intervals for the longer distance races so far.

Greg...LOVE your sig quote!

I swim at Bath & Racquet.  Done a tri at the Y at Potter Park (really nice pool there).

Congrat's to your daughter on her acceptance to UCF and LSU.  We are waiting to hear from UF as well (great school, hard to get into...  might be a bit of a stretch for my son).

Funny story... when we initially moved into the neighborhood and I was flying my VT flag on the front of the house and somebody put a "If Your Not a Gator.... Your Gator Bait" sticker on my mailbox. 

I've manage to take tumble on my bike with clip on pedals a few times.  Right at the intersection of Proctor and Beneva once.  Everybody stopped at the light got a nice laugh out of that.  It happens to the best of us.

2011-01-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3273408

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL
jamesjong - 2011-01-03 2:26 AM Also does anyone know why it sometimes shows the post that you are relying to in your current message/new post and sometimes it doesn't? is this a setting that can be changed?

Each message has a "Reply" button and a "Quote" button associated with it.  If you want to respond to a message without including the body of the message hit the "Reply" button.  If you want to include the body of the message in your response hit the "Quote" button.

Edited by junthank 2011-01-03 12:18 PM
2011-01-03 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3256830

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Gang,

I know there are a numbers of outstanding questions I need to provide a response for.  Things like Ran/Walk Protocol, Selecting a Plan, Swimming and Nutrition.  I'm on it but I gotta run for now... hope to get to all those tonight....
2011-01-03 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
To those who asked about the Total Immersion (TI) program -- it is a book with optional DVD (which I do not have) that walks you through a series of drills with the ultimate goal of a very efficient and effortless freestyle swim technique. The first few drills have you working on balance and buoyancy and movement while on your back. Then you move over to your side, and finally onto your stomach with each drill progressively adding a new portion of the stroke. I have only gotten to the side drills so am no expert, but I like it so far. I am taking the swim very slowly because I want to make sure to have good technique from the very beginning.

I am more than happy to help and give advice about running, because that is my strength.

I am brand new to cycling but I think swimming will be my most difficult sport.
2011-01-03 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Does anybody else have a bike trainer? Looking for tips for making the rides more interesting. My Kinetic came with a spinervals DVD but I haven't tried it yet.

I rode 15 miles on the trainer tonight, while watching the Orange Bowl pre-game show.

GO HOKIES!!!

Amanda
2011-01-03 8:00 PM
in reply to: #3274430

junthank - 2011-01-02 1:18 PM
jamesjong - 2011-01-03 2:26 AM Also does anyone know why it sometimes shows the post that you are relying to in your current message/new post and sometimes it doesn't? is this a setting that can be changed?

Each message has a "Reply" button and a "Quote" button associated with it.  If you want to respond to a message without including the body of the message hit the "Reply" button.  If you want to include the body of the message in your response hit the "Quote" button.
Thanks!!

2011-01-03 8:16 PM

User image

New user

Evening all,

For the person who asked about "couch-to" plans and about wogging:

I am using the BT Michael Pates training plan, which is basically a "couch-to-sprint" in 22 weeks. It's available for free members, so you don't need a pay-subscription.

I'm not starting from the "couch," but I haven't run in 30 years, so I needed something gradual.  I decided to start with week four, because the earlier weeks have such little distance.

The Pates plan incorporates wogging - so take a look at how it combines running and walking intervals, gradually increasing the run time while decreasing the walk time.

Barb
2011-01-03 8:20 PM

User image

New user

I had a good bike workout today at the gym -- 14 miles in 50 minutes, which definitely got a sweat going.

I was supposed to do a swim today, but I have an eye condition and went for a treatment this morning at the doctor's.  Can't swim for 3 days after a treatment, so I adjusted my training plan accordingly.

Tomorrow is my first try at wogging, and then I'll do some ST.
2011-01-03 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3273410

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
jamesjong - 2011-01-03 2:29 AM You guys can perhaps fill me in on all these in's and out's on what i think is college football? We don't get much coverage here in Sydney, but it sounds exciting...Btw, looking forward to training with you all!!

Very exciting.  I preferred it over professional America football.  Probably not as exciting as Austrilian football though!!

Edited by junthank 2011-01-03 9:25 PM
2011-01-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3275402

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
atlveg - 2011-01-03 8:39 PM To those who asked about the Total Immersion (TI) program -- it is a book with optional DVD (which I do not have) that walks you through a series of drills with the ultimate goal of a very efficient and effortless freestyle swim technique. The first few drills have you working on balance and buoyancy and movement while on your back. Then you move over to your side, and finally onto your stomach with each drill progressively adding a new portion of the stroke. I have only gotten to the side drills so am no expert, but I like it so far. I am taking the swim very slowly because I want to make sure to have good technique from the very beginning.

I am more than happy to help and give advice about running, because that is my strength.

I am brand new to cycling but I think swimming will be my most difficult sport.

This is what Amanda's swim stoke will look like after she finishes the TI program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4
2011-01-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: #3275406

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
atlveg - 2011-01-03 8:40 PM Does anybody else have a bike trainer? Looking for tips for making the rides more interesting. My Kinetic came with a spinervals DVD but I haven't tried it yet.

I rode 15 miles on the trainer tonight, while watching the Orange Bowl pre-game show.

GO HOKIES!!!

Amanda

Broke away from the game at halftime just to check in here quickly.  Down 13-12....  Got my fingers crossed.

I don't have a trainer at home but while spinning in the gym I always listen to podcast.s  If you want a good triathlon related podcast check out:

http://www.imtalk.me/

2011-01-03 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3275491

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
barbsduck - 2011-01-03 9:20 PM I had a good bike workout today at the gym -- 14 miles in 50 minutes, which definitely got a sweat going.

I was supposed to do a swim today, but I have an eye condition and went for a treatment this morning at the doctor's.  Can't swim for 3 days after a treatment, so I adjusted my training plan accordingly.

Tomorrow is my first try at wogging, and then I'll do some ST.

Nice bike Barabara. 

Hope the eyes get better soon.  I pushed back my swim as well (have a cold). 

Since I said no question is a dumb question - what is ST (strength)?
2011-01-03 10:30 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
CAVEAT

As we move along with our discussions I'll be sharing a number of different training protocols that I use (running, swimming, nutrition, etc..).  These are biased based upon my experiences.  I use them because they work for me.  Some people might disagree on the value of these.  A good example of this is the Run/Walk protocol.  If you were to post a thread on the main board on BT your likely to get lots of different opinions on the subject. 

Please keep in mind that at the end of the day the most important thing that you can do is get out the door and exercise on a daily basis.  As long as your enjoying yourself the protocol that you chose is not important.

Having said that: Run/Walk.

My 1st mentor taught me this and it helped my run out big time.  As Melissa said earlier what you do is break you run into Run/Walk intervals.  The ratio of running to walking depends on your level of fitness.  When I started I think I did 3 minutes running to 1 minute walking.  As my fitness increased I increased the running ratio.  Now depending on what type of run workout I'm doing I do something like 9.5:.5 or 9:1.  Sometimes on my longer runs I'll start at 9.5:.5 for the 1st 3rd, 9.25:.75 for the 2nd 3rd and 9:1 for the last.  I experiment all the time.  What it does for me:

Helps with my endurance.  I can run longer distances.
Helps with my recovery.  My legs feel better the next day.
Mental boast.  Rather thinking about a 90 minutes run, I think about just doing that 10 min section. 

The walking portion of the protocol is not a "slow" walk.  It is a fast paced walk that has the same cadence and arm moment as your run.  My walk pace is around a 14:30/mile pace.  It probably looks funny to the people who drive by me!!

Would I use it in a 5K race today - No.  Would I use in a Olympic or HIM distance tri - you betcha.

If you have the time I suggest you listen to Bobby McGee on the following IMTALK podcast:

http://www.imtalk.me/home/2009/7/28/imtalk-episode-170-running-master-coach-bobby-mcgee.html

The Run/Walk protocol discussion start around minute 34.  So skip the 1st 33:30 minutes and listen to the rest.  I think it's worth the time.

Edited by junthank 2011-01-03 10:33 PM
2011-01-04 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3275672

User image

New user

junthank - 2011-01-03 10:40 PM Since I said no question is a dumb question - what is ST (strength)?

"ST" is strength training.

I wogged today for the first time!  5 minute walk, then 2 minute jog - total of 30 minutes.  I tried to do the walk pretty fast.  Then, added a 25 minute slow amble with my dog.

The 2 minute jog felt hard, especially the first one!  The last one seemed shorter than the first one.  Not sure if that is psychological or not!
2011-01-04 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3277808

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
barbsduck - 2011-01-04 5:52 PM
junthank - 2011-01-03 10:40 PM Since I said no question is a dumb question - what is ST (strength)?

I wogged today for the first time!  5 minute walk, then 2 minute jog - total of 30 minutes.  I tried to do the walk pretty fast.  Then, added a 25 minute slow amble with my dog.

The 2 minute jog felt hard, especially the first one!  The last one seemed shorter than the first one.  Not sure if that is psychological or not!

Great Barbara.  Experiment with it as your fitness gets better.  Like I said earlier, I walked for a year before I started running.
2011-01-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3277808

User image

Regular
Atlanta
barbsduck - 2011-01-04 5:52 PM

Barbara this is fantastic! I started running in '98 and used a similar approach.  Have you been fitted for running shoes? That was my biggest mistake when I started running - was wearing a friend's hand-me-down shoes that were a half size too small for me. I ended up with shin splints and could barely walk for two weeks.

Edited by atlveg 2011-01-04 7:34 PM

2011-01-04 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3275406

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
atlveg - 2011-01-03 5:40 PM Does anybody else have a bike trainer? Looking for tips for making the rides more interesting. My Kinetic came with a spinervals DVD but I haven't tried it yet.

GO HOKIES!!!

Amanda

Amanda,  I like the idea of trainer but don't have one.  What kind/type are you using?  I don't know that I trust myself with the roller type.

I watched most of the game while taking down Christmas.  Have to say I hate to see Stanford looking that good since my team is in the Pac-10....doesn't bode well for next year.
2011-01-04 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
OK - done with the travel, the Xmas Tree is down, my football team's big bowl game is over (not pretty folks!!!), so I can get to some of the things I have been promising.  Many of you expressed an interest in weight loss.  For me the 2 aspects of life that I changed were daily exercise and my eating patterns.  As far as my eating patterns what I did was start eating "real food" (fruits, veggies and lean protien) and try and stay away from refined sugars (coke, candy, cookies, cake, etc.).  I play it like this:

Morning: Non-Fat yogurt with piece of fruit.
Mid-Morning Snack: Piece of fruit.
Lunch: Big salad with some type of protein (chicken, fish).
Mid-Afternoon Snack:  Piece of fruit.
Dinner:  Whatever the family is having.  Tonight I had a burger and onion rings.

One of the great quotes I heard was "when I'm hungry I gain a pound".  So I try to not get hungry by eating throughout the day.  I don't count calories or worry about grams of this or that in the food I eat.  The weightloss didn't happen overnight, it was gradual  over time but it happened.  Still not were I want to be but I'm getting much closer.

Also, I rarely get on a scale.

Here is an great article written by my 1st mentor on the subject: http://www.endurancecorner.com/library/nutrition/sports_nutrition_part1

In your bio's a number of you had have great success with weight loss.  How did ya do it?

Edited by junthank 2011-01-04 7:42 PM
2011-01-04 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3278100

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
cvochristi - 2011-01-04 8:35 PM
atlveg - 2011-01-03 5:40 PM Does anybody else have a bike trainer? Looking for tips for making the rides more interesting. My Kinetic came with a spinervals DVD but I haven't tried it yet.

GO HOKIES!!!

Amanda

Amanda,  I like the idea of trainer but don't have one.  What kind/type are you using?  I don't know that I trust myself with the roller type.

I watched most of the game while taking down Christmas.  Have to say I hate to see Stanford looking that good since my team is in the Pac-10....doesn't bode well for next year.

The 2nd half was mighty painful to watch!!
2011-01-04 8:00 PM

User image

Regular
Atlanta
Wow, the Hokies game was painful last night. The first half was going pretty well, but Tyrod was being kind of wreckless with the ball. Then he threw the interception, and it went downhill from there. I actually went to bed before the end of the 3rd quarter.

Christi, I have a Kinetic Road Machine. I've only had it for a few weeks, but love the convenience. I will definitely be outside when the days become longer, and on the weekends.
2011-01-04 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Amanda,

On your training log you mention ITBS.  You also mentioned it in your bio.  I know your a big time runner.  I've heard about it but never had it.  How did you get it and how are you treating it (I know you mentioned that you are not running over 8 miles now)?

2011-01-04 8:11 PM

User image

So do y'all think a trainer is better than a stationary bike?
2011-01-04 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3278104

User image

Regular
Atlanta
junthank - 2011-01-04 8:37 PM

In your bio's a number of you had have great success with weight loss.  How did ya do it?

I lost 50 pounds with Weight Watchers, starting in 2002. I had some minor ups and downs, but have maintained my current weight since 2005. I credit much of my success to exercise, but also to the quality of foods I eat. I am single and my boyfriend lives in Chicago, so I can pretty much eat whatever I want. Therefore my meals are pretty boring and very similar day-to-day. I am also a vegetarian.

Breakfast: coffee, unsweetened soy milk, and either a bagel with cottage cheese or some cereal with a banana
Snack: fruit
Lunch: steamed veggies and beans
Snack: yogurt and/or fruit
Dinner: very large salad with cottage cheese and tofu or beans; or a vegetable fritatta; or bean/veggie soup with some type of bread.  Most nights I have a beer or two, and if it was a harder workout day I might have a yogurt or a piece of fruit.

I weigh myself almost every day, which has really helped with my weight maintenance. Although I don't put too much emphasis on any one day, I do look for trends and like being able to make adjustments early on that curve.

I sometimes count calories (like now, when I am rebounding from two weeks of unhealthy holiday eating), and I no longer follow the Weight Watchers program.

2011-01-04 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3278156

User image

Veteran
Albany Oregon
atlveg - 2011-01-04 6:00 PM Wow, the Hokies game was painful last night. The first half was going pretty well, but Tyrod was being kind of wreckless with the ball. Then he threw the interception, and it went downhill from there. I actually went to bed before the end of the 3rd quarter.

Christi, I have a Kinetic Road Machine. I've only had it for a few weeks, but love the convenience. I will definitely be outside when the days become longer, and on the weekends.

Thanks, I'll google it.  I like the idea of bringing my bike inside and getting a workout while watching TV, if I can't get something done outside.  It's been icy here and the wind chill has killed the idea of bike ride.
Christi 
2011-01-04 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3273407

User image

Expert
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Hokies 1st Timer's Group - Open
jamesjong - 2011-01-03 2:19 AM Yes, International!! I should have perhaps said or greeted everyone with a "G'day and hello from Australia!!".

Thanks Mate.  sorry couldn't resist..

Yup Jeff, everything in kilo's (kilometers, kilograms, grams and meters). So the race is 300 meter swim, 10km bike ride and a 2km run. PW = Per week, as opposed to per workout but i guess per workout is where i would like to be eventually. So when applying this to the workout's that i've done so far generally speaking I cover between 15-20km on the bike per session (2-3s pw) and 4-6km in a run per session (2-3s pw).

So you should feel really confident about the bike and run because you routinely cover the distance of the Tri in your daily workouts.  That's good.

I also try to do something similar to a brick but maybe with slightly more rest than i should in the transition (20-30mins) but it's all contingent on the time i have that particular day with work and other commitments. So this will be from say pool to park if i do SB same goes for BR (so this RI or transition will be when i walk from the pool to the park which is about 10mins walk, so by the time i hop out of the pool, get all my gear on, walk to the park and start ridding i would say it would have been 20-30mins).

Same for me..  I don't run from the pool to locker room, change, and run to my bike.  I just take my time.

The swim will be in the ocean, starting on a beach or bay then out to sea. So yes, potentially the seas could get rough, which for some reason doesn't worry me right at this point in time. In my training I am also trying to build my confidence in the OW by heading out to swim in little bays once a week (Clovelly is an example, you guys might be able to look it up on google maps, the first of these sessions was on saturday the 1st of Jan) that are enclosed partially but not entirely (if that makes sense). I'll try to describe it, its like a canal that starts at a beach with two concrete banks that run at 90 degrees to the beach out to sea that are about 30m's apart at the mouth of the canal where it meets the ocean. It opens up to the sea where waves occasionally come in. I've been trying to swim back and forth between the banks at the mouth of the canal, in order to get me comfortable with being in the sea where a can't stand (its deep down there) or hang on to things (just because i feel like giving up) when i am between banks where i can do in a pool. However despite this the thing that i am still not confident about is covering the distance out at sea.

That is smart of you doing OWS's prior to having your 1st OWS as a race.

Confidence - I had the exact same feeling my 1st race.  The distance was 400 meters and when I started my training I had no idea how I was going to make it.  To gain confidence I would gradually extend the distance of my continuous swims.  First 50 meters and hang onto the wall, then 100 meters as 50 meters freestyle, 25 meters sidestroke, and 25 meters freestyle.  Then 150 using the same pattern, etc...  until I covered the distance.  Then I did the same thing in an OWS environment.

Another thing that made me feel a bit better about my 1st OWS swim was the race had race staffers in the water for help.  People on surfboards and jetskis.  If I needed them I knew that I could swim over to a person on a surfboard and hang on for a break.  You might want to check this out with the race you are entering.

Jeff, that's a really interesting concept i never thought about, an alternative stoke as a "pool wall", I do have the dog paddle but i find that i can only do that in spurts because its so taxing or it is taxing when i do need to go to it. Though to be honest i've never really tried to do it for say 50m.

Also there was another thing that i noticed when i did jump into the sea, that I struggled with breathing, my nose and mouth got a little irritated from the salt water which distracted my breath and concentration (which made me panic a little while in the water). This is of course a lot different form swimming in the pool where i don't get that irritation and hence have less to worry about which then allows me to concentrate on my technique (breathing, stroke, kick, head position etc etc). Do you have any suggestion or should this go away once i get a couple more sessions under my belt?

I've never had this problem.  My nose does get really runny after a salt water swim though.  You might want to ask this question on the main board here at BT.

I rest as long as it takes me to catch my breath (or until i don't feel stressed in the lungs) generally speaking this will be btw 1-2mins, but i have noticed that it is shorter at the beginning of a workout (10-15secs) and longer towards the end of my workouts (1-3mins). So i noticed that i can get through 200m in about 7-8mins but finish 400m in about 15-20mins.

Btw, forgot to mention you can all call me jongers or jimmy if you would like, that is what i am affectionately know as to my friends.

J
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hokies 1st Timer's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24