User image

Subject: RE: Troy's Group Open
My HR Zones:

50%-60%: 97-116
60%-70%- 116-135
70%-80%- 135-154
80%-90%- 154-174
90%-100%- 174-193

I am using a Timex Ironman Race Trainer HRM.  It does the job and is what I can afford for now.  

Last week (before I got sick) I got back into routine and dropped from 181lbs to 175lbs.  This included a drastic change in diet (that is I am eating way healthier including no beer Cry).  My goal for the next two weeks beginning on Friday is to keep in some type of form while I am doing some aide work in Nicaragua and Honduras.  I'm taking everything in one hiking pack which will fit my running shoes and my resistance bands.  I have no idea what my accommodations or diet will be.  Wish me luck!

Edited by nkiger 2011-01-11 8:55 PM

2011-01-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3259281

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey everyone!  Nice to see more folks joining this group!  How's the training going this week?  Nick, hope your trip is productive. Can you put some nutrition bars in your suitcase?

I have a question for the group -- how many of you have done spin classes? I've never done one, but been thinking about it.  Since I'm focused mostly on running right now, would one spin class a week be beneficial at all?  Thoughts?

Putting off today's run until this afternoon.  Our temp is in the teens here...which is doable, just not desirable.  Got an appt with a local podiatrist (who is training for an IM) to make sure my orthotics/shoes are not contributing to the IT band issue that resurfaced on my "long" run.

2011-01-12 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3294170

User image

squirt - 2011-01-12 9:05 AM

I have a question for the group -- how many of you have done spin classes? I've never done one, but been thinking about it.  Since I'm focused mostly on running right now, would one spin class a week be beneficial at all?  Thoughts?

I have done some spin classes and really enjoy them.  They are a good workout (just make sure you have the bike adjusted correctly so you don't injure yourself), they are with other people of varying athletic ability, and you do it with a spin instructor who is there to motivate you.  When I get into doing bricks, I actually like to take a spin class and go right to the run.  My gym is now offering a spin/run class, so I might check that out.

By the way, nutrition bars are going into the pack...good suggestion since I have no idea what I'll be eating!

2011-01-12 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Shake-n-Bake --- great schedule!

I can say that hte REV3 Knoxville is a great race - I did it yesterday. The river swim is really nice, the bike is hard though / LOTS of climbing. if you are strong onthe bike I would say go for it! the run is not bad, the worse hill is in the last quarter mile which can be frustrating. I have not done FL 70.3 but have heard good and bad as to it. Mainly the bad the had to do with the run.

I did West Point Olympic 2 years ago and it is a good race.
I will see you in Chattanooga - will be there also.
In August there is a great sprint in Peachtree City that is lots of fun!

Augusta - awesome race! Great place to PR.

I am in Newnan - just south of Atl on 85. Let me know if you ever head up this way to ride!

Sandy
2011-01-12 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3294170

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
squirt - 2011-01-12 9:05 AM

Hey everyone!  Nice to see more folks joining this group!  How's the training going this week?  Nick, hope your trip is productive. Can you put some nutrition bars in your suitcase?

Putting off today's run until this afternoon.  Our temp is in the teens here...which is doable, just not desirable.  Got an appt with a local podiatrist (who is training for an IM) to make sure my orthotics/shoes are not contributing to the IT band issue that resurfaced on my "long" run.

So far the week has been slow. We have had tons of snow/ice (which I am certainly not used to) and that has made running a bit of an adventure.

Never done spin classes - rode the spin bike once and did not like it. I have friends who do it almost religiously though. Just something you need to try. I would say any exercise is beneficial - go for it!

Hope all goes well with the podiatrist.
2011-01-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3293608

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
tedjohn - 2011-01-11 8:36 PM

Greetings,

I learned this trick last year, but here are a couple  of ways to add a link through your blog.  Let me know if you get stuck.

Method 1

1. Copy the web address at the top of the forum (Highlight and Control C, or edit/copy)
  2. Select settings at the top of the screen.
  3. Select “Training Blog customization.”
  4. Select Blog Links
  5. Paste the copied web address and write a title or description
  6. Click “update blog links” at the bottom of the screen.
  7. When you next launch your blog, a link will appear on the right side of your blog in the links section (you have to scroll down a little bit).

Method 2

1. Copy the web address at the top of the forum (Highlight and Control C, or edit/copy)
  2. Select settings at the top of the screen.
  3. Select “Training Blog customization.”
  4. Select dashboard
  5. Type “Forum” or other name for the link on the page.
  6. Highlight what you’ve typed and then click on the icon of the chain that says edit/ insert link.
  7. A new window will open.  Paste the web address you copied into the URL.
  8. Close the window by clicking insert.
  9. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click “update dashboard”
  10. The link should now appear at the top of your blog.
Hope that helps!

EXCELLENT!! Thanks so much! I love it!

2011-01-12 9:25 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Hello everyone,

Seems like most of us are dealing with the cold weather this week.  It's been below zero and in the low teens in Colorado for several days now.  I went for a swim at the university this morning and I just about froze walking up to the front door!  The swimming was great though, and I'm really enjoying this aspect of training.  I'm trying to swim at least twice a week so that I can build some skill in this area.  I try to do mix in 1 day of drills and skills and another day of just extended swimming.  My summer project is going to be flip turns!
On Saturday I'm going to do a professional bike fitting at my LBS and "convert" my road bike with a forward position seat post and some clip on aero bars.  I'm excited to go aero, but plan on proceeding cautiously as I don't want to risk injury through crashing. 

Nick,
Have a great trip.  I spent three years in Mexico and absolutely loved the experience. Be safe and as far as exercise goes, I'm sure you will find ways to train.  If nothing else, you can always do core/ abdominal exercises as that doesn't require a lot of time or space.

Take care everyone and happy training!
2011-01-13 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks so much for the feedback on spin classes.  Sounds like it's worth a try...perhaps next week on my cross training day.  Guess I need to go early and hopefully get some help from the instructor in setting the bike up. 

Tedjohn, professional bike fitting sounds like a good investment, enjoy! 

Taking a mostly rest day.  Will do a short yoga tape and stretching/strengthening exercises for the IT band issue, and then try for 6 miles tomorrow and see if it holds up. 
2011-01-13 1:38 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Thanks tedjohn!  Linking the forum in the blog (Method 1) worked out great.

My training's been derailed for a couple of days.  I swam yesterday and was debating on whether to run indoors (which I don't like) or out in the cold.  When I got home from the gym, I was feeling queasy so I decided to not run at all.  By 6 I knew that was the right decision.  By 7 I texted work to say I wasn't coming in, and by 8 I was hugging porcelain.  For two hours.  My abs got a good workout, though.

I didn't train today, figuring I should be back on solid foods before I work out.  Swim / run tomorrow ought to be OK.  I suppose I've probably lost weight, though I wouldn't recommend that method to anyone.

Only 12 weeks until my first race of the year, so I'm feeling a bit behind schedule, but I will catch it up.

-Mike
2011-01-14 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Uggh, Mike, you need to find a new way to work the abs!  Definitely agree that solid foods are a prerequisite to getting back to training.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Troy!  I've been trying to incorporate the Chi running concepts, as well as stretching and strengthening.  Today ran 6.2 miles w/ NO pain.  And a total stranger at the coffee shop where I stopped on my way home told me she saw me running and I had good form, was leaning forward slightly, etc.  Said she was a personal trainer (no, didn't try to sell me services).  Anyway, that + the lack of pain was encouraging to say the least. 
2011-01-14 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3299555

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
squirt - 2011-01-14 12:01 PM

Uggh, Mike, you need to find a new way to work the abs!  Definitely agree that solid foods are a prerequisite to getting back to training.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Troy!  I've been trying to incorporate the Chi running concepts, as well as stretching and strengthening.  Today ran 6.2 miles w/ NO pain.  And a total stranger at the coffee shop where I stopped on my way home told me she saw me running and I had good form, was leaning forward slightly, etc.  Said she was a personal trainer (no, didn't try to sell me services).  Anyway, that + the lack of pain was encouraging to say the least. 

Congrats on no pain and the compliment. It is always nice to get reassurances that we are doing something right!

2011-01-15 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3294880

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
swise - 2011-01-12 11:51 AM I can say that hte REV3 Knoxville is a great race - I did it yesterday.

OK, I just now caught this....sooo...how did it go???  Knoxville is a beautiful area!

Hope the weather is getting better in GA!
2011-01-16 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Good morning everyone.  I'm fighting a bit of a head cold that developed at the end of last week, but I felt good enough this morning to ride about 40 minutes on the trainer.  Yesterday I did a professional bike fitting and added aero bars and a forward seat post.  If you get the opportunity, I strongly recommend a professional bike fitting (whether for a regular or an aero position).  I learned all sorts of things about posture, flexibility, etc.  and it's truly amazing how much better I feel on the bike now.  I hope everyone has had a good weekend and happy training this week!
2011-01-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3301276

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
did I say yesterday?? I meant last year (2010). It was a great race - wonderful river swim. challenging bike (lots of climbing but scenic) and good run. There were a ton of out and backs and the biggest hill was in the last quarter mile (yuck!) but otherwise it was a fairly tame run. Not near the hills that they could have put in given the location. Plus - it was kinda cool that they had it on Mother's day and all the mom's got extra goodies (i think I walked away with 3 free hats and 2 free shirts) and our number bibs were pink - so people were wishing us a happy mothers day throughout the race. REV3 puts on a good race. Much better swag than either of the Ironman corporation races I have done.
2011-01-16 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Had a busy week at work and was hard to work in some training.. Did a 30 minute run yesterday then I did a fifty mile bike ride today... I remember I have legs lol...Hope all is well...
2011-01-18 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3303170

User image

Houston, Texas
shake-n-bake - 2011-01-16 5:31 PM Had a busy week at work and was hard to work in some training.. Did a 30 minute run yesterday then I did a fifty mile bike ride today... I remember I have legs lol...Hope all is well...

Wow, 50 miles, I'm impressed.  One of my goals for this year is to bike to my friends house - 60 miles away.  I've mapped a route to avoid Houston freeways, but I think it's going to be a bit before I can do the distance.  Most of my road time is on paved bayou trails, and not roadways, so it's going to take some careful planning, too.

General question: do you all have a bike trainer?  I can only actually ride maybe once a week, so the rest of the time I'm on a stationary bike at the gym.  I know the muscle groups are slightly different, but it's the best I can do at this point.  Do you all recommend the trainer, or is it more of a nice-to-have than a need-to-have?

And where oh where is Troy?  Have we lost our mentor already?  I mean I like to share comments and support, but I was looking forward to learning more about heart rate zones, techniques, tips, etc.  Troy, I hope everything's OK with you!!!

-Mike

2011-01-18 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey there!  Glad to see a little activity on our thread .  I second Mike's concern.  Troy, are you OK?  That's the trouble w/ internet stuff...never know if someone has hit a really rough patch in life, or just gotten busy.  Hope it's the latter!

swise - 'great race' and 'biggest hill in last 1/4 mile' generally don't go together, but sounds like the other miles and swag made up for that cruel twist!

tedjoh - glad the bike fitting was worth it...and more!  When the time comes, I think I'm going to follow your lead on that.

shake - legs still there?  Glad you got in a nice ride amongst the business.

mike - glad you're back.  Hope you are back to eating solids!

I'm still chipping away on my 1/2 mary training plan + 1 swim a week.  Have had a few frustraing runs in terms of low blood sugar.  As I'm also dropping some weight and eating less (down 4 lbs -- yay me!), my insulin doses are changing and harder to nail down. But I'll keep chipping away at that too...that's why it's called training.  IT band has been behaving nicely.  Long run this week will be 7 miles. 
2011-01-18 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Good afternoon everyone!  Hope training is going well.  I had a small celebration this morning as I discovered that our local YMCA has partnered with the University to provide free access to the swimming pool (It was costing me $6 per visit). 

Mike,  I got a trainer for Christmas and I have to say that it has been worth it, especially being in Colorado where the cold weather keeps me from riding outside for a good portion of December, January, and February.  I've been trying to ride a minimum of twice a week (three if I can manage).  I think this is especially true for me since my cycling has been weak in comparison with my running.   I've managed to combat the boredom factor of  a trainer by watching movies, football, etc. while I ride.

My guess is that Troy is just very busy.  Running a high school takes a tremendous amount of time and the secondary principals that I know are usually busy every evening and most Saturdays with basketball games, track meets, etc.  Until his return, you might want to check out Joel Friel's blog (pretty easy to Google).  He has a lot of information about training with zones, etc.  Some of it is kind of technical and may be a little more than the average age grouper needs, but it's still educational.
2011-01-19 8:25 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-01-19 7:10 PM

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Welcome home Troy!  Sounds like a fascinating trip.  Hope you got to visit some interesting places.  I taught at a private high school in Mexico for 3 years and really enjoyed the experience. 
2011-01-20 7:41 PM

Hello Troy,

I would like to join your mentor group. Im a 41 year old father and husband. I had been in the Army and was pretty fit. I then became extremely lazy and over the last 5 years swelled up to about 450 pounds on a 6'4" frame. I can move pretty good for a fat man but I have decided I need something more, like a challenge. I dont know when I will be able to compete in my first Tri but I can control if I train everyday and who I associate with on-line, dedicated fitness people with a positive attitude.

Current Training: I have just started, 30 min on the Elliptcal machine, running is painful on the knees,  unsure if if I should do weights.

Goal for 2011: Build cardio, enough to start & finish a Tri of some kind.
To become half the Triathlete I am today.

2011-01-21 2:18 PM

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Welcome new "man"!  Just doesn't feel right calling you oldfatman, so we must come up with something else. BTW, I read a book a year or so ago called Slow Fat Triathlete.  It was really good, and helped me to feel confident in bringing the body I have to my first tri.  Of course, noone told me the race photographer would be snapping photos of me as I ran from swim to bike and post them on the internet (OK, probably noone but me looked, but still!). 

Hey Troy, glad you had a good trip and even a few swims!  Do share some wisdom with us when you get a chance .

Had a good run in the cold drizzle yesterday.  But was treated to a bobcat sighting...only my second ever.  This one was pretty small...maybe 20-25 lbs, and while it didn't want me too near, I was surpised at how close it let me get to it.  Anyway....today's swim was rushed a bit since I forgot about the water aerobics class starting.  But I did go a little faster (mainly by doing longer sets and shorter breathers).  Tomorrow's plan is "long run" of 7-8 miles, which will put my IT band to the test. Hopefully the stretching, hip strengthening and attempt to embrace a bit of Chi running will see me through.  Oh, and I checked out Chi Running at the library yesterday, so planning to dig deeper on that.

Edited by squirt 2011-01-21 2:19 PM
2011-01-21 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3312363

Houston, Texas
OFM - welcome to the group!  I'm pretty dang excited for you, I have to say.  Setting a goal to do a tri is pretty awesome, and I think you'll find a lot of tools here to help you on the way.  I'd never trained for one before last year, and found a plan on BT that was something like "couch to Tri in 22 weeks".  I think it was written by a big guy who had a lot of weight to lose, and it was just what I needed.  Slow and steady over the course of a few months.  Do what you can and don't worry about what you can't.  I stuck with it like glue and finished my first race last April.

Squirt - good luck on your long run tomorrow, and watch out for the wildlife!

I'm having a great week.  I finally hit under 22 minutes for my swim this morning (my own self-imposed goal).  It's been a while since I've done that.  I ran 3 miles and will be bumping it up to 4 starting Monday.  I get my bike back tonight, all shiny and lubricated and will ride tomorrow morning.  I was looking at my training log, and it's been months since I rode.  Months!  That's sad, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

I hope to post some pictures to my profile soon.  I need to find some (one?) in which I look at least a little like an athlete, rather than a tubby doofus in spandex.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Don't be shy about posting your progress!
2011-01-21 9:21 PM

Hudson Valley, NY
DELETED

Edited by firemandivi 2011-01-24 12:41 PM
2011-01-22 6:39 PM

Veteran
Georgia
Mike

I do have a trainer and found it to be very useful when I cant get outside to ride... I have the kurt kinectic with a 6 lb flywheel and a 18 lb flywheel.. It is a great training tool to help fill on the bike workouts when there is no time for the outdoors..Plus you dont have to worry about cars...

Hope all is well with our members...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Troy's Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 4