BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2011-01-11 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3292520

User image

Vancouver Isand, BC
Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group - OPEN
myred86 - 2011-01-11 9:38 AM Okay- need some opinions please!  My bride and I are doing some investigating on this.  Is it crazy to go from a handful of Sprint Tris to a HIM or is it more logical to do an Olympic before a HIM?  If it is crazy, what's the appropriate way to go about it?  Year 1 Sprints; Year 2 do an Oly; Year 3 do a HIM???  

Great question, I'd love to know this too!!!

2011-01-11 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
myred86 - 2011-01-11 12:38 PM Okay- need some opinions please!  My bride and I are doing some investigating on this.  Is it crazy to go from a handful of Sprint Tris to a HIM or is it more logical to do an Olympic before a HIM?  If it is crazy, what's the appropriate way to go about it?  Year 1 Sprints; Year 2 do an Oly; Year 3 do a HIM???  

I do not think there is such thing as "appropriate" Smile.  Some people take "baby steps" (me including) and feel more comfortable with small increments and others just go for it because they are super athletes and feel ready. I would say this is the question you have to ask yourself "am I ready?"

What were your sprint results? Are you happy with them? Do you feel you are in good enough shape to do a much longer distance? What is your goal for the HIM? Just finish or finish strong?
Also, I am not a doctor but I have read a lot of injury stories where athletes go too fast too soon. Make sure you are ready physically and mentally. 

Edited by margarita 2011-01-11 8:06 PM
2011-01-11 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3264702

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Is it too late to join this great group? I have been browsing the mentor groups and have kept coming back to this one, it seems solid.

Here's a little about me:

NAME: Rob Johnston

MY STORY: I used to be in great shape about 5 years ago and then ended up getting married and became much less active. Last year I became motivated to get back into shape and bought and completed the P90X program along with running my first half marathon. After watching a motivational video on youtube, I decided that triathlon may be a fun way to stay in shape so I took part in 2 sprint races and fell in love. I am now hooked and signed up for Ironman Arizona coming up in November so I know I have much work and learning to do. I look forward to all of your help in getting me to my goal.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with an almost 3 year old boy and another on the way due July 19th!

CURRENT TRAINING: Custom BT plan for an Oly in April in Vegas. After that, HIM and IM.

-----
2011-01-11 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
One more thing...
I'm a 34 year old male in Salt Lake City, UT (2002 winter olympics and home to the best ski areas in the world!)
2011-01-11 9:54 PM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Big Steve,

Would love to join the group. Much like your story, I am 36 years old and expecting our second child in late June. The thought of going into that experience as out of shape as I am right now scares me. So, I have decided to whip it into shape for the new baby and all that entails. I was a sucessful college wrestler, 15 years ago! I am 5'9" and 206 pounds right now. My goal is to start training now, with weight loss as a goal. I plan on doing The NJ State Tri at Mercer County Park in late July. My goal is to do three sprint races this season, just not sure if an earlier race will be possible while expecting a baby. Wife and family support me in this, so training will not be a problem. I have some competitive cycling from when I was a kid. The bike does not scare me. As a wrestler, I have always been able to run, albeit I hated every step! The swim is a different story. I have no doubt I will be able to pick it up, quickly, but it will be my weakness. Love the positive energy I got from reading your bio and would love to be part of the group. I also live in NJ, so the local knowledge also is a plus.

PS I work in the commercial swimming pool industry, so the username "poolgod" has nothing to do with my ability to swim. But it does allow me plenty of opprotunities to train in the pool.

Justin
2011-01-12 3:08 AM

Hey Steve,

How r u? 

My name is Simone and I just joined this site.  I'm brand spanking new to the world of triathlons.  I got the idea a yr or so ago to do a triathlon.  I didn't know really where to start so it remained just a desire.  Recently, I made up my mind to definitely do a sprint tri bf this year is out. 

I live in Marietta, Ga and I'm currently looking for a pool, sprint tri to participate in this year.  I feel good about ur group from what I read and I would like to join.  This site is a bit overwhelming, but nonetheless I will figure it out.

I have started a little training by running on the treadmill.  I'm going to start my swim training in the next wk or 2 and hopefully when the weather breaks I can add biking to the mix.  My goal is to possibly do an event around late April/May.  I'm trying to fit all this in while being in school and helping to manage my 3 children along with my husband.  It will definitely be tough, but I really want to accomplish this goal.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thanks
Simone

2011-01-12 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3293637

User image

margarita - 2011-01-11 9:00 PM
myred86 - 2011-01-11 12:38 PM Okay- need some opinions please!  My bride and I are doing some investigating on this.  Is it crazy to go from a handful of Sprint Tris to a HIM or is it more logical to do an Olympic before a HIM?  If it is crazy, what's the appropriate way to go about it?  Year 1 Sprints; Year 2 do an Oly; Year 3 do a HIM???  

I do not think there is such thing as "appropriate" Smile.  Some people take "baby steps" (me including) and feel more comfortable with small increments and others just go for it because they are super athletes and feel ready. I would say this is the question you have to ask yourself "am I ready?"

What were your sprint results? Are you happy with them? Do you feel you are in good enough shape to do a much longer distance? What is your goal for the HIM? Just finish or finish strong?
Also, I am not a doctor but I have read a lot of injury stories where athletes go too fast too soon. Make sure you are ready physically and mentally. 

Thanks!  Those are great questions to ponder.  I would just be trying to finish a HIM- my biggest concern would be making the time limit!  I'm in decent shape, but FAR from a super athlete.  Really starting to lean towards the Oly first.  Thanks again!
Rob
2011-01-12 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3290681

User image

New user
stevepiv - 2011-01-10 3:16 PM The 3 options below are what my coach gave me last year.  Because I wanted him to create customized rides for me and I wanted the visuals of actual Ironman races I went with the computrainer by racermate.  I love it (but its very expensive).  I've heard good things about the other two as well.

-Steven

Computrainer -  http://www.racermateinc.com/   this is a computer based program.  Benefits are that I can actually create a workout for you and you just download it and do it.  It also has video options, where you can actually ride IM courses.  Most expensive option.  I have one and do swear by it.

Cyclops - Two options here, first is expensive, and is a stationary bike.  I have ridden and it is great.  You can create a ride profile, and insert it into your bike computer.  i have not done this, but it seems easy.  Another benefit, is that the technology is top notch.  Power Tap is the most popular and versitle of all Power Meters
they also have a new option which is a Pro Trainer.  With this you have a handle bar mounted computer which you can also easily load a workout into, and works great with training peaks

Kurt Kenitic - these offer a number of options, but I would stay with a fluid trainer.  They also have different fly wheels so you can make it more challenging.  They sell separately a bike computer that reads power.  I believe this is the most economical.  It doesn't have the bells and whistles, but you would still be able to do some great things

I am in the process of upgrading my bike, it's tapping out my resources.  I opted for a lower cost fluid trainer as a one year throw away.  Until I read your post,  I was thinking the primary differences between wind, magnetic and fluid were noise level.   When I began reading more, fluid became a clear winner.  
2011-01-12 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3293983

User image

Veteran
myred86 - 2011-01-12 7:38 AM
Thanks!  Those are great questions to ponder.  I would just be trying to finish a HIM- my biggest concern would be making the time limit!  I'm in decent shape, but FAR from a super athlete.  Really starting to lean towards the Oly first.  Thanks again!
Rob

Rob, you might want to look for an HIM training plan and see if you can handle the training volume and intensity. Good luck!
P.S. Hope Steven does not kick me out of his group for giving out advice while he is away on business. I'll go hide now. Smile
2011-01-12 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member

I agree with Rita's points. 

It is logical to do an Olympic first but its really up to you.  You have to be REALLY comfortable with the distances and the cut off times.  I would be very disappointed & discouraged by not making the cutoff time.  My advice would be to do the Oly next to build up experience and confidence, but if you really think you can make the HIM go for it.

-Steven
2011-01-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3293646

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
roberto24 - 2011-01-11 9:04 PM Is it too late to join this great group? I have been browsing the mentor groups and have kept coming back to this one, it seems solid.

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes we are SOLID!!  Welcome aboard.

-Steven

2011-01-12 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3293795

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
poolgod - 2011-01-11 10:54 PM Big Steve,

Would love to join the group. Much like your story, I am 36 years old and expecting our second child in late June. The thought of going into that experience as out of shape as I am right now scares me. So, I have decided to whip it into shape for the new baby and all that entails. I was a sucessful college wrestler, 15 years ago! I am 5'9" and 206 pounds right now. My goal is to start training now, with weight loss as a goal. I plan on doing The NJ State Tri at Mercer County Park in late July. My goal is to do three sprint races this season, just not sure if an earlier race will be possible while expecting a baby. Wife and family support me in this, so training will not be a problem. I have some competitive cycling from when I was a kid. The bike does not scare me. As a wrestler, I have always been able to run, albeit I hated every step! The swim is a different story. I have no doubt I will be able to pick it up, quickly, but it will be my weakness. Love the positive energy I got from reading your bio and would love to be part of the group. I also live in NJ, so the local knowledge also is a plus.

PS I work in the commercial swimming pool industry, so the username "poolgod" has nothing to do with my ability to swim. But it does allow me plenty of opprotunities to train in the pool.

Justin

Hey Justin,

Welcome to the group.  Lets work on that swim and get your abilities to better match your username soon :-).  Swim was my weekest as well and concentrating on it has really helped me a lot.

-Steven
2011-01-12 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3294777

User image

stevepiv - 2011-01-12 12:19 PM

I agree with Rita's points. 

It is logical to do an Olympic first but its really up to you.  You have to be REALLY comfortable with the distances and the cut off times.  I would be very disappointed & discouraged by not making the cutoff time.  My advice would be to do the Oly next to build up experience and confidence, but if you really think you can make the HIM go for it.

-Steven

Thanks Steven and Rita!!!  Already SO very glad I joined this group!  Yep- looks like an Oly this summer is the way to go.  Chicago instead of Steelhead sounds pretty good.  I'll work to get to Steelhead in 2012 then.  ;-)
2011-01-12 11:32 AM
in reply to: #3293928

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
simonewright - 2011-01-12 4:08 AM Hey Steve,

How r u? 

My name is Simone and I just joined this site.  I'm brand spanking new to the world of triathlons.  I got the idea a yr or so ago to do a triathlon.  I didn't know really where to start so it remained just a desire.  Recently, I made up my mind to definitely do a sprint tri bf this year is out. 

I live in Marietta, Ga and I'm currently looking for a pool, sprint tri to participate in this year.  I feel good about ur group from what I read and I would like to join.  This site is a bit overwhelming, but nonetheless I will figure it out.

I have started a little training by running on the treadmill.  I'm going to start my swim training in the next wk or 2 and hopefully when the weather breaks I can add biking to the mix.  My goal is to possibly do an event around late April/May.  I'm trying to fit all this in while being in school and helping to manage my 3 children along with my husband.  It will definitely be tough, but I really want to accomplish this goal.

Any suggestions on where I should start?

Thanks
Simone

Hi Simone,

Welcome to the group and welcome to the world of Tri's.  You're going to love it!

Best place to start it to pick a plan in the plans section and import to your training calendar.  Its going to be tough to stick to it at first so dont get discouraged if you dont make every training session.  Do as much as you can and you'll be surprised by your progress.

Post any questions along the way.

-Steven
2011-01-12 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3294651

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
P.S. Hope Steven does not kick me out of his group for giving out advice while he is away on business. I'll go hide now. Smile

Rita, please don't hide and do continue with advice whether Im here or not :-)  Everyone appreciates it!

2011-01-12 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Time to close admission soon
Looks like we have an awesome group so far. From New Jersey to Australia, wow! I think I'll wait till the end of tomorrow and close admission.  If you have any friends that you want to invite, get the word out quick!

stevepivStevenNorth Brunswick, NJ41
Northern ivyJamesNJ 
mat13palMatFreehold & Plainsboro, NJ30
jamesjongJamesSydney, Australia26
AnimalcrackersJulesWoodland Park, NJ38
TriTogaSteveMillburn, NJ47
Sooner Orange County, CA43
Muskwa2Maureen 40
GrauchGrantSouth Brunswick, NJ45
LeftrunnerRobert 39
MargaritaRitaJamison, PA35
myred86RobCarmel, Indiana50
roberto24RobSalt Lake City, UT34

PoolgodJustinNJ36
simonewrightSimoneMarietta, GA 

Edited by stevepiv 2011-01-12 2:52 PM

2011-01-12 2:40 PM

User image

New user
I'm having a hard time finding a plan to follow.  I am currently exceeding the training levels in most of the beginner sprint training plans and don't want to reduce my current load.  If anything, I want to extend for greater calorie burn to continue to work off the spare tire I built up over the last four years.   My logic is that if I'm carrying 45 pounds less, my endurance and speed should improve tremendously.  

I've tried training peaks and wind up with plans like the one below.  I'm afraid that if I follow these plans I'll start gaining weight.  I'm half way through my 45 pound loss, the weight just isn't coming off as fast as it used to.  Does anyone have additional plan links or suggestions?

Hello Grant Rauch,

Your Workouts for Wednesday, January 12

Workout #1:  
    Type: Bike
    Planned duration: 0:30 
    Pace is easy with 6 x :30 seconds above race pace surges with 1 minute rest between each surge during the ride. Please start the ride with a 10 minute warm-up preiod before starting the hard efforts.

Your Workouts for Thursday, January 13

Workout #1:  
    Type: Run
    Planned duration: 0:15 
    Easy effort run: 4 x :30 second surges at race pace effort during the run with :90 second recovery jog or walk between each hard effort. Start the run with a 5 min warm-up before you start your surges.

2011-01-12 2:41 PM
in reply to: #3295350

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Time to close admission soon
Steven, I'm only 35 right now. Should I come back in 4 years? Smile
2011-01-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3295392

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
margarita - 2011-01-12 3:41 PM Steven, I'm only 35 right now. Should I come back in 4 years? Smile

Ooops.  So sorry, typo's are the story of my life.  Did I offend anyone else?????
2011-01-12 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3295389

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
grauch - 2011-01-12 3:40 PM I'm having a hard time finding a plan to follow.  I am currently exceeding the training levels in most of the beginner sprint training plans and don't want to reduce my current load.  If anything, I want to extend for greater calorie burn to continue to work off the spare tire I built up over the last four years.   My logic is that if I'm carrying 45 pounds less, my endurance and speed should improve tremendously.  

Thats sound logic. Its great that you're exceeding the beginner sprint training plan levels.  Have you looked into any of the Olympic ones here on BT to see if they would work for you?  Even if you dont do the full amounts as specified you would probably be doing more than the sprint one's call for.

-Steven
2011-01-12 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3295350

User image

stevepiv - 2011-01-12 3:27 PM Looks like we have an awesome group so far. From New Jersey to Australia, wow! I think I'll wait till the end of tomorrow and close admission.  If you have any friends that you want to invite, get the word out quick!

stevepivStevenNorth Brunswick, NJ41
Northern ivyJamesNJ 
mat13palMatFreehold & Plainsboro, NJ30
jamesjongJamesSydney, Australia26
AnimalcrackersJulesWoodland Park, NJ38
TriTogaSteveMillburn, NJ47
Sooner Orange County, CA43
Muskwa2Maureen 40
GrauchGrantSouth Brunswick, NJ45
LeftrunnerRobert 39
MargaritaRitaJamison, PA35
myred86RobCarmel, Indiana50
roberto24RobSalt Lake City, UT34

PoolgodJustinNJ36
simonewrightSimoneMarietta, GA 

Yeah- ME!!  I'm terribly  offended!!!  I don't reach the golden anniversary for another four weeks!!!  ;-) and JK!!  Holy cow, I'm the oldest???  Sure wish I was the wisest!!!  

2011-01-12 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3295824

User image

Vancouver Isand, BC
No offence whatsoever, but I'm 47, oh how I wish I were 40 again   I don't think I "lied" on any questionaires???  But I've been known to online.    Oh and I'm sorry, I didn't realize I didn't have this anywhere, but I'm Canadian from beautiful BC on Vancouver Island.

2011-01-12 6:29 PM

User image

All I know is that almost 50 year old Rob could royally kick 40 year old Rob's butt!  Ooops- can we say "butt" on here?  
2011-01-12 8:08 PM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
2011-01-12 8:22 PM

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Hey Guys,

Sorry about the empty post. I meant to comment on Grauch's post. I am in the same position he is. Beginner training plans are very short. I have a larger base than the maximum workouts in the plans. I am looking at the half iron training plans. I only have sprint distances planned for this season, but I am more interested in a great time than just finishing. Does anyone see a problem with training for a sprint with a Half Ironman program? I do not want to get bored with training and am looking for a challenge. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Justin/poolgod - Robbinsville, NJ
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24