BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-01-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: #3303870

User image

On your right
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
Better than trying for an OWS, isn't it, AG?

2011-01-17 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3271854

User image

New user
So, randomly at a local running store with my good friend today.  There was one tri suit for like $60.  Zoot, my size, obnoxious pink.  I hadn't planned on figuring out the race-wear for a while, but is this deal too good to pass up?  Thoughts?  Thanks!  Gotta run the boys around outside for awhile but I will be back in a little bit to share my hilarious swim update....
2011-01-17 3:06 PM

User image

Cincinnati

My goal for today is to run outside in the cold a bit.  Don't know how long I'll last. 
Goal for the week is to start training in the morning instead of after work. 

Pink sounds about right for a tri suit.  Something about ?bright and obtrusive colors for tri clothing???, ??j?u?s?t? ?m?a?k?e?s? ?s?e?n?s?e?.???

2011-01-17 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3304759

User image

Veteran
I was in the same situation, and ended up buying a tri-suit for about $40 (DeSoto, I think).

There are a number of advantages. First, a great price, for something that will be used.

Second, after putting it on and seeing myself stuffed like a sausage into the suit, it has bumped up my motivation to lose weight BIG TIME.

As for my goal for today, to start running, it might be on hold for a day or two. Woke up feeling lousy, and have been feeling worse since. If I feel better in the evening, I'll do it. If not, I'll wait a day or two.

Good luck to all planned goals in the group!
2011-01-17 7:52 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Re tri suits........I have only tried them on, but like all one piece items of clothing they never fit me right.
Pros of a one piece is that the top does not ride up.
Cons? Its way harder to go pee! Not so important during a shorter race, but if you ever decide to race longer distances, you WILL need to pee.  
And no, I am not even going to open the discussion of peeing on the bike because I have no wish to gross you all out!    
2011-01-17 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Well I was a good girl and did in fact get to the pool today. 
Now if my Great Big Fat Guy had not joined me I would have been much happier.
GBFG is what I call my asthma. He sits on my chest and makes it hard to breathe. I thought he had gone .......but sadly he has returned.  

2011-01-17 8:15 PM

User image

Ohio
completed first week of Couch to Sprint - The second week doubled in distance, I thought it would be more gradual but I made it through tonight. 

My goal this week is to better focus on tranistion form work to the gym.   I need to clear my head and have all my stuff before I start.  any suggestions ?     
2011-01-17 8:31 PM

User image

New user
Such a good point about peeing.  I've settled on tri shorts for now and figure out the top later.  Found a great deal on those later on today. 

I went to the gym today with a friend, nice and late in the morning, it was MLK after all, and my state-employed husband was home with the kids.  My friend and I hop in and decide to share a lane to make it easy for anyone who comes in (we are beginners and it is easier to get in each others way!)  So, we are warming up, and noticing the pool is getting very crowded....and the median age of those members coming in was like 68.  We forgot to check the pool schedule and were coinciding with an "senior aqua fit" class.  No big deal, or so we thought.  With typical classes they leave the last lane up for lap swimmers, so we just moved to there and kept going.  Bad idea.  We got ganged up on by a whole crew of ladies, wanting us OUT of their way, their class is about to start after all!  So, 15 minutes in and we were bullied out of the pool.  I am planning on going back again tomorrow morning to get a real swim workout in.  Such a funny experience. 
2011-01-17 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3305353

User image

New user
asuit - 2011-01-17 7:15 PM completed first week of Couch to Sprint - The second week doubled in distance, I thought it would be more gradual but I made it through tonight. 

My goal this week is to better focus on tranistion form work to the gym.   I need to clear my head and have all my stuff before I start.  any suggestions ?     

Is going early morning an option?  I used to go at night (7:30 ish) after my toddler was in bed (I know, not the same as coming from the office) but it was so hard to get motivated.  I go now so early, like 5:30, but it is so nice to get working out done and have the evening to relax and unwind.  Once I get up and out the door I am glad I went.  I line up everything the night before and just get up and go. 
2011-01-18 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3305378

User image

On your right
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-17 9:31 PM Such a good point about peeing.  I've settled on tri shorts for now and figure out the top later.  Found a great deal on those later on today. 

I went to the gym today with a friend, nice and late in the morning, it was MLK after all, and my state-employed husband was home with the kids.  My friend and I hop in and decide to share a lane to make it easy for anyone who comes in (we are beginners and it is easier to get in each others way!)  So, we are warming up, and noticing the pool is getting very crowded....and the median age of those members coming in was like 68.  We forgot to check the pool schedule and were coinciding with an "senior aqua fit" class.  No big deal, or so we thought.  With typical classes they leave the last lane up for lap swimmers, so we just moved to there and kept going.  Bad idea.  We got ganged up on by a whole crew of ladies, wanting us OUT of their way, their class is about to start after all!  So, 15 minutes in and we were bullied out of the pool.  I am planning on going back again tomorrow morning to get a real swim workout in.  Such a funny experience. 

Your gym doesn't let 1 lane stay open during the sea-cow exhitibitions?  I would check with someone, and if that is the rule (that 1 lane is to stay open) then tell the sea-cows to bugger off.  You pay for your membership just like they do, and you're entitled to use the pool while they're floating about.  One thing to remember if you swim laps while they are doing their "thing"... Sea-cows tend to make the pool taste like old woman lotion.  ICK...  But on the plus side, sometimes you can use it like OWS (Open Water Swimming) training because of the waves they make as they do whatever it is they do to make such big waves.  Or, at least that's how it goes in my pool.
2011-01-18 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3305384

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-17 9:34 PM
asuit - 2011-01-17 7:15 PM completed first week of Couch to Sprint - The second week doubled in distance, I thought it would be more gradual but I made it through tonight. 

Is going early morning an option?  I used to go at night (7:30 ish) after my toddler was in bed (I know, not the same as coming from the office) but it was so hard to get motivated.  I go now so early, like 5:30, but it is so nice to get working out done and have the evening to relax and unwind.  Once I get up and out the door I am glad I went.  I line up everything the night before and just get up and go. 

Ugh. More power to you.
I am always in total awe of people who can do this. I am utterly useless in the morning. In fact the ONLY time I am awake at 530 is when I have not yet been to sleep ! I have been working the nightshift for  many years now. I find it easier to stay up all night than to get up early.

2011-01-18 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3306698

User image

On your right
aquagirl - 2011-01-18 1:56 PM Ugh. More power to you.
I am always in total awe of people who can do this. I am utterly useless in the morning. In fact the ONLY time I am awake at 530 is when I have not yet been to sleep ! I have been working the nightshift for  many years now. I find it easier to stay up all night than to get up early.

That's because you're weird.
2011-01-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3306711

User image

Veteran
Chaderbox - 2011-01-18 11:02 AM

Well, as long as you can give a technical & scientific reason......
2011-01-18 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3307262

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
r1237h - 2011-01-18 5:29 PM
Chaderbox - 2011-01-18 11:02 AM

Well, as long as you can give a technical & scientific reason......

Giggle........yeah yeah I am weird. I never deny it! 
2011-01-18 9:05 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
YOO HOO?

2011-01-18 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3307749

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-01-19 12:27 AM
in reply to: #3307886

Veteran
Bopper - 2011-01-18 8:40 PM

Good evening (or morning depending on when you read this) everyone.

Helen asked me to prepare this little chart for everyone to put in their logs so they can keep track of each other easily. All you need to do is copy and paste this into your log... in the header section. Each user name is a link to the respective log. Have fun and enjoy Helen's sense of humour and knowledge.... dredge her for all she's worth.

Aquagirl - Helen
Chaderbox -  Chad
srja - Sara (I can't access her log, so you'll have to copy and paste the link yourselves)
cbredderman - Corey
DoubleBee - Bobby
Nmroach - Noel
r1237h - Ron
jsmcgowan - Jocelyn
tim.amo - Tim
dughogue - Doug
asuit - Allen
Peachfor3 - Shon
bnutter - Barry

First, what's a header section?

Second, and you are...?
2011-01-19 12:51 AM

I had already added everybody manually to my friends list in the log.  Does this achieve the same thing?
2011-01-19 7:07 AM

Well, I took the weekend off because the gym's hours and my work schedule didn't fit together very well.  And because I was still sore from workouts that I haven't done before.  So I didn't think to check the message board either.
My goal this week is to get in 1000 yards of swimming, and a 'long' run of at least 6 miles.  Maybe one bike workout that isn't a spinning class, too, so that I can throw in a short run after to get used to that feeling.
Made it into the pool yesterday, got smoked by the old and overweight guys in the pool.  Maybe I need to work on my swimming more that I thought.
Anyone have tips on getting long hair under a swim cap?
2011-01-19 7:16 AM
in reply to: #3308100

On your right
cbredderman - 2011-01-19 8:07 AM Well, I took the weekend off because the gym's hours and my work schedule didn't fit together very well.  And because I was still sore from workouts that I haven't done before.  So I didn't think to check the message board either.
My goal this week is to get in 1000 yards of swimming, and a 'long' run of at least 6 miles.  Maybe one bike workout that isn't a spinning class, too, so that I can throw in a short run after to get used to that feeling.
Made it into the pool yesterday, got smoked by the old and overweight guys in the pool.  Maybe I need to work on my swimming more that I thought.

Cut your hair, hippy.  And I'll let the gals handle this question.

As for WHO Bopper is, he's a helpful guy that is more interweb savy than AG and me, so he just made us a little quick link we can put in our blog. 

When you go to your Training Log, you can edit what's in the top part.  That is where that information could go with a copy/paste.
2011-01-19 8:16 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Bopper - 2011-01-18 11:40 PM

Good evening (or morning depending on when you read this) everyone.

Helen asked me to prepare this little chart for everyone to put in their logs so they can keep track of each other easily. All you need to do is copy and paste this into your log... in the header section. Each user name is a link to the respective log. Have fun and enjoy Helen's sense of humour and knowledge.... dredge her for all she's worth.

Aquagirl - Helen
Chaderbox -  Chad
srja - Sara (I can't access her log, so you'll have to copy and paste the link yourselves)
cbredderman - Corey
DoubleBee - Bobby
Nmroach - Noel
r1237h - Ron
jsmcgowan - Jocelyn
tim.amo - Tim
dughogue - Doug
asuit - Allen
Peachfor3 - Shon
bnutter - Barry

Thank you Kevin!! 
You are SO very kind.......

Kevin is my awesome BT friend and fantasy cycling partner. We live many hours apart, but last year managed to get together to do a little 200 k ride.      Just wish we lived closer, so it could be a regular thing.
He is awesomeness personified. Plain and simple. 

2011-01-19 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3307947

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
srja - 2011-01-19 1:51 AM I had already added everybody manually to my friends list in the log.  Does this achieve the same thing?

It does , but the table just keeps people in one group. Thats all.  I have a longer friends list, so do not want you guys all scattered about ............I wanna keep you where I can SEE you!!
2011-01-19 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3308100

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
cbredderman - 2011-01-19 8:07 AM Well, I took the weekend off because the gym's hours and my work schedule didn't fit together very well.  And because I was still sore from workouts that I haven't done before.  So I didn't think to check the message board either.

I put it in a double pony tail and then just put the cap on. This is actually easier when your hair is wet.  And to preserve your hair, it is actually a good idea to REALLY soak your hair in the shower before you get in the pool. That way the hair absorbs the fresh water and will not absorb the nasty pool water. This will go a long way towards "saving" your hair. Regular pool swimming can be hard on it.  

Also....the thing to remember about swimming, is that it is so very technique based . Those old overweight dudes  have the technique DOWN......and thats why they are smoking you. Of course, I get smoked by all sorts on a regular basis, kind of used to it!  
2011-01-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3308287

New user
aquagirl - 2011-01-19 7:24 AM

I put it in a double pony tail and then just put the cap on. This is actually easier when your hair is wet.  And to preserve your hair, it is actually a good idea to REALLY soak your hair in the shower before you get in the pool. That way the hair absorbs the fresh water and will not absorb the nasty pool water. This will go a long way towards "saving" your hair. Regular pool swimming can be hard on it.  

Also....the thing to remember about swimming, is that it is so very technique based . Those old overweight dudes  have the technique DOWN......and thats why they are smoking you. Of course, I get smoked by all sorts on a regular basis, kind of used to it!  

This.  Also once in a while I throw some leave in conditioner (I had a random sample from somewhere) under my swim cap.  Not sure if this will ruin it, but I do have a really fancy schmancy $3 cap, so I could not possibly replace it later.....(never sure if sarcasm comes across right....
2011-01-19 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3306602

New user
Chaderbox - 2011-01-18 11:27 AM
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-17 9:31 PM Such a good point about peeing.  I've settled on tri shorts for now and figure out the top later.  Found a great deal on those later on today. 

Your gym doesn't let 1 lane stay open during the sea-cow exhitibitions?  I would check with someone, and if that is the rule (that 1 lane is to stay open) then tell the sea-cows to bugger off.  You pay for your membership just like they do, and you're entitled to use the pool while they're floating about.  One thing to remember if you swim laps while they are doing their "thing"... Sea-cows tend to make the pool taste like old woman lotion.  ICK...  But on the plus side, sometimes you can use it like OWS (Open Water Swimming) training because of the waves they make as they do whatever it is they do to make such big waves.  Or, at least that's how it goes in my pool.

I like you already.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19