BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-04-11 3:40 PM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
I've debated doing the compression sock thing.  Since it seems there's a consensus it's worth using them for recovery, are all brands created equally (of course not) - or what do you guys recommend?

2011-04-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3440700

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-04-11 3:40 PMI've debated doing the compression sock thing.  Since it seems there's a consensus it's worth using them for recovery, are all brands created equally (of course not) - or what do you guys recommend?
My understanding is that there is a 'medical grade'. But compression wear for medical use is designed to prevent DVT, not exercise recovery. To make things more confusing, recent studies suggest they may not affect DVT rates. So there are no hard facts. Before investing in something expensive, get a pair of $12 stockings from your local drug store.
2011-04-11 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3439723

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-11 10:52 AM
DirkP - 2011-04-10 8:39 PM

Jonathon,  How have things been going?  How have you healed up?  And what about your bike and wheel from your HIM back a few months ago?

Hey Dirk!  Things have been pretty good.  My PF in both feet is finally under control and am only dealing with the upper back muscles that got all messed up from the crash.  The wheel was replaced by HED for $300, which is awesome...the bike was literally un-touched.  I can't find a scratch on it!  I really have no idea how.  I basically tumbled with the thing attached to me.

How have you been?  How's crazy family life with all the girls?  Still kicking a$$ on the runs?

That's an awesome deal for the wheel and for the bike to be unscathed after everything you described from your RR, that's incredible.

I've been doing pretty good.  My training is doing really good with exception to a 3 week layoff from the swim about a month ago because of a shoulder injury.  I am back to where i was when I took the timeout though.  For the run?  Well someone else gets to decide if I am fast.  I think there is all kinds of room for improvement and I'll put that to the test on May 21 for my first scheduled race of the year (HM).

Side note: I agree with Jeff on the extra runs!  What marathon training did for me was get my easy run pace down from 8:10-8:20 to 7:50-8:00, but mostly I run my easy stuff in the 7:50 range.  All that to say that extra mileage throughout your run training can do wonders for your speed.  Even if you do all your runs at an easy pace, packing on the extra mileage will make a big impact on your race paces.

2011-04-11 7:26 PM

User image

Expert

I like this group's pace! There's lots of good chatter but you can follow the conversation without needing to check every hour for updates.

Deb, with all due respect as a relative newb myself, I wonder if you really need compression socks at all? For sprint distance tris and 5K races, it might not be necessary. I would personally prefer to put the $$ into something else until I was looking at longer distances and the longer workouts they entail.

I have no idea how to do any bike maintenance myself, so I have no clue about those wheel bearings. I have Zinn and the Art of Triathlon Bike maintenance, but it sits on my shelf unread. I really want to start doing some of this stuff myself this year! I'm looking at taking the Park Tool School course this summer for a bit of a tutorial.

2011-04-11 7:46 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

wbayek - 2011-04-11 4:40 PM I've debated doing the compression sock thing.  Since it seems there's a consensus it's worth using them for recovery, are all brands created equally (of course not) - or what do you guys recommend?

I'm a fan of the zoot compression stuff.  Some people like the 2xu stuff...I just thought it wasn't tight enough.  It's expensive though...so if you don't mind the medical grade pharmacy colors for old ladies...go for it...seriously.

2011-04-11 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3441017

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-04-11 7:37 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-11 10:52 AM
DirkP - 2011-04-10 8:39 PM

Jonathon,  How have things been going?  How have you healed up?  And what about your bike and wheel from your HIM back a few months ago?

Hey Dirk!  Things have been pretty good.  My PF in both feet is finally under control and am only dealing with the upper back muscles that got all messed up from the crash.  The wheel was replaced by HED for $300, which is awesome...the bike was literally un-touched.  I can't find a scratch on it!  I really have no idea how.  I basically tumbled with the thing attached to me.

How have you been?  How's crazy family life with all the girls?  Still kicking a$$ on the runs?

That's an awesome deal for the wheel and for the bike to be unscathed after everything you described from your RR, that's incredible.

I've been doing pretty good.  My training is doing really good with exception to a 3 week layoff from the swim about a month ago because of a shoulder injury.  I am back to where i was when I took the timeout though.  For the run?  Well someone else gets to decide if I am fast.  I think there is all kinds of room for improvement and I'll put that to the test on May 21 for my first scheduled race of the year (HM).

Side note: I agree with Jeff on the extra runs!  What marathon training did for me was get my easy run pace down from 8:10-8:20 to 7:50-8:00, but mostly I run my easy stuff in the 7:50 range.  All that to say that extra mileage throughout your run training can do wonders for your speed.  Even if you do all your runs at an easy pace, packing on the extra mileage will make a big impact on your race paces.

Okay...definitely going to do this.  So when we talk about "extra runs", can I do like two more runs a week, both in the 1-2 mile range?  

2011-04-11 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3439521

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
perdiem - 2011-04-11 9:38 AM
DirkP - 2011-04-10 7:39 PM

I took a few minutes to gather this information.  Those who's name I don't have please fill it in so we can be a little more personal if you don't mind or don't if you are in the witness protection program or something.

Jeff     - JeffY *
Bill      - wlister83
Jeremy - jeg2011
Jenna - trisprintolympic
           - perdiem
           - nitroxjunkie
Deb - colwin21
           - bdj6020
           - webertp
Ryan   - chopadog83 
Matt  - mambos
Greg    - qti123
Jonathon - jgerbodegrant
            - wbayek

Dirk      - DirkP

Tim - perdiem

2011-04-11 8:32 PM

User image

Upstate New York

Jenna, I agree that I probably don't need compression sleeves at this juncture in my training due to the distances that I will be taking on.  However, if it may help, I don't mind spending $12 or so and it can't hurt either. 

I will also be adding a mile run, or so, to my other workouts as well even if it is at my SSR or MSR.  I really would like to pick up the speed a bit.  Thanks for the advice Jeff.

Deb

2011-04-11 8:36 PM

User image

Upstate New York
Oh BTW, you all might notice, or maybe not, that I've upgraded to a gold membership!  I just won the upgrade tonight at our local Tri Club meeting.  How cool is that???  I was just thinking today that I might upgrade and wohooo  I won!!    Thanks Beginner Triathlete.com
2011-04-11 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
So, I finally came across my first question.  How much should a beginner actually workout.  I have been doing the 16 week to spring program and for the 1st month it was OK.  Now it seems I barely feel pushed at the times given.  I was thinking about just adding another segment each day and eliminating 1 of the rest days.  My wife says I am addicted to it, but I want to do more than just finish.  Do I need to worry about doing too much?  I started in January doing a couple days a week and now up to 5 days a week!
2011-04-11 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I don't have any "compression" gear but I noticed an immediate difference in the way I felt during my long runs after I purchased running tights in January.  I felt like I had better legs and I felt fresher longer.  I had never used tights before and decided to give them a try and now I can't stand running in colder temps without them.  (I can't stand the treadmill, so it's almost always outside for me.)

Also, Jonathon, I am not a bike mechanic either so I am of absolutely no help with the hub.  I am going to bust into an old mtb (lead sled) to do some experimentation on how to work on them.  The mtb is a wally world special that my brother gave me several years ago.

_____

I have had a couple of busy days training yesterday and today.  The weekend are my two-a-days so I can get a lot done Friday-Sunday.  Yesterday was a 6 mile run in the AM and after traveling back from Ohio I rode for 21 miles.  Then tonight was another 1 hour trainer ride at a high intensity.  Right now I am loving training but I am just off a recovery week so I feel fresh.  Tomorrow is a 3000-3500 yd swim.

2011-04-12 5:41 AM
in reply to: #3441225

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

colwin21 - 2011-04-11 9:36 PM Oh BTW, you all might notice, or maybe not, that I've upgraded to a gold membership!  I just won the upgrade tonight at our local Tri Club meeting.  How cool is that???  I was just thinking today that I might upgrade and wohooo  I won!!    Thanks Beginner Triathlete.com

Oh man...you know what this means?  You now have NO excuses!!  I expect full and thorough advice on EVERYTHING!

2011-04-12 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3441247

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

mambos - 2011-04-11 9:53 PM So, I finally came across my first question.  How much should a beginner actually workout.  I have been doing the 16 week to spring program and for the 1st month it was OK.  Now it seems I barely feel pushed at the times given.  I was thinking about just adding another segment each day and eliminating 1 of the rest days.  My wife says I am addicted to it, but I want to do more than just finish.  Do I need to worry about doing too much?  I started in January doing a couple days a week and now up to 5 days a week!

This is probably a question Jeff can answer.  I'm one of those injury proned people that has to do most of my runs easy and not feel pushed.  If I were you I would continue the way you are and push harder on the bike. 

2011-04-12 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3441535

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-12 6:50 AM

mambos - 2011-04-11 9:53 PM So, I finally came across my first question.  How much should a beginner actually workout.  I have been doing the 16 week to spring program and for the 1st month it was OK.  Now it seems I barely feel pushed at the times given.  I was thinking about just adding another segment each day and eliminating 1 of the rest days.  My wife says I am addicted to it, but I want to do more than just finish.  Do I need to worry about doing too much?  I started in January doing a couple days a week and now up to 5 days a week!

This is probably a question Jeff can answer.  I'm one of those injury proned people that has to do most of my runs easy and not feel pushed.  If I were you I would continue the way you are and push harder on the bike. 

I agree that this is a very individual thing. Preventing injuries is the key, since an injured body can't workout at all.  Build up slowly, figure out what your body can handle, and for sure the run is almost always more potentially damaging than biking/swimming. 

Swimming can be tough on the shoulders, sounds like Dirk has been there, but in general biking and swimming don't seem to generate the overuse injuries the way running does, particularly at higher intensities.

2011-04-12 8:08 AM

User image

NH

Jeff, I loved your entry on nutrition.  The things I liked most about what you said were simple is better and don't diet.  I couldn't agree more with those basic statements.

I could go on for hours and hours on this topic.  It's my real passion.  I actually would like to make nutrition a second career if I can figure out how to manage it and keep the house.  I advise some athletes on nutrition, though they tend to be in more "explosive" sports than ours - either football or hockey.  I'm still learning about nutrition specifically for endurance athletes.  Mostly the differences I'm seeing are not major overhaul of concepts, but slightly realigning some specific balances of carbs/protein/fat.

The core elements of any good eating regimen are pretty basic though not always easy to follow: eat as many foods without an ingredient list as possible, eat everything as close to the source as possible (unprocessed and local is almost always better), any grains you eat should be whole grains, fats are not your enemy, don't starve yourself, cheat every once in a while.

I like to tell people to never diet, but begin doing the best eating you can maintain forever.  Treat every meal/snack as a quiz - if you eat ice cream after dinner (F), try to get a D (low fat ice cream?) or a C (frozen yogurt?).  My experience has been people who try to get an A all the time do not stay with it and quickly regress back to whatever they were doing which caused the problems in the first place.

2011-04-12 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Orlando Aquatic Center

Look what I found within walking distance of my hotel!

So far this week since hitting Orlando:

Sun: slow 5 mile run on treadmill

Mon: slow 5 mile run on treadmill am

weights - upper back muscles pm

slow 5 mile run on treadmill pm

Tue: 1 hr swim (no structure)

5 mile run on treadmill...

2011-04-12 8:52 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Wow...I don't think there's a pool that big in NH.
2011-04-12 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Swim Questions

I have a question questions about counting laps.

Ready? here they are:

how the heck do I count laps? I know some people use pennies but how?

in a 25 meter pool is a lap one length or 2?

I am still learning proper form and working on my stamina, if I can get the cadence down I should be able to do more than 25 meters at a time it is just the breathing that is beating me. My arms are fine but I get out of step and get water up my nose and I come up sputtering.

Also since I am on it, how do I keep my pace slow? when running or biking I can look at my Garmin and know that my pace is to fast and I am going to tire out to fast but when swimming I have no real reference point and only really know I went to fast when I can't go any more. I start slow and tend to speed up, I think it because I know the faster I go the sooner it is over but that is counterproductive since I then can't breath right and it makes it worse.

2011-04-12 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

NICE POOL! 

To chime in on the compression gear; I have found personnally that they do help with recovery and I notice a difference in for lack of a better term "muscle wobble" after long distances (10+ miles).  I have both types medical old lady ones and athletic once.  The old lady ones really help with recovery, they are very tight knit (30+mmHg) my others are (8-15mmHg). 

2011-04-12 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3441987

User image

Regular
Tomahawk
Subject: RE: Swim Questions
I was told a lap is down and back, so 2 lengths.  As for your swim pace, my own experience I had to learn to exhale entirely to keep a steady pace otherwise I hyperventalate and suck in water. 
2011-04-12 10:19 AM

User image

Upstate New York
The pool I swim in is measured in meters so one length or one lap is 25 meters.  One lap = one length of the pool.   I haven't figured out a way to count other than in my head.  Breathing is tricky; for me I'm just trying to breath on both sides since I'm generally a right sided breather and it's quite different to switch to the other side.  Maybe a lesson or two to help you get the technique down would help. 

2011-04-12 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3442097

User image

Upstate New York

To follow up - as I know it's confusing, one length of a pool is considered a one lap.  So if your training program specifies swim 16 laps of a 25 meters pool you will be swimming 400 meters.  I hope this helps!  In a pool, and for swimming, a lap is not generally getting back to where you started.   ?Laughing

2011-04-12 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3441776

User image

Upstate New York

Very Cool pool Jeff!  Your workouts amaze me and you're out of town on business and still managing 2 workouts a day! 

Jonathon - you crack me up!!  I agree though, you probably won't find a pool that big in upstate NY either.  Wink

2011-04-12 2:13 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
perdiem - 2011-04-12 10:35 AM

I have a question questions about counting laps.

Ready? here they are:

how the heck do I count laps? I know some people use pennies but how?

in a 25 meter pool is a lap one length or 2?

I am still learning proper form and working on my stamina, if I can get the cadence down I should be able to do more than 25 meters at a time it is just the breathing that is beating me. My arms are fine but I get out of step and get water up my nose and I come up sputtering.

Also since I am on it, how do I keep my pace slow? when running or biking I can look at my Garmin and know that my pace is to fast and I am going to tire out to fast but when swimming I have no real reference point and only really know I went to fast when I can't go any more. I start slow and tend to speed up, I think it because I know the faster I go the sooner it is over but that is counterproductive since I then can't breath right and it makes it worse.

Good questions. Let me first clear some things up. First, one lap equals 2 lengths in any pool. Sort of like when you do a lap around the track you go all the way around to where you started. So when your workout says four laps you are doing 200 yds(if your pool is a 25 yd pool). Counting laps used to be very difficult to me. I don't know if it's ADD or what. My girlfriend gave me a lap counter. If you go to www.swimoutlet.com and search for counter you will find them. Now as far as slowing down you can do a couple things. First if you can find out if there are swim lessons offered at your pool for a reasonable price, TAKE LESSONS. I improved a ton right at first from lessons. Secondly, relax. Count to 2 during each stroke. (one stroke is one pull with an arm)Keep looking at the bottom of the pool to ensure you are not picking your head up and letting your feet drop. You need to find your body's balance in the water.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-04-12 2:15 PM
2011-04-12 3:30 PM

User image

Expert

Lap counters are cool, but I just use my Timex Ironman watch. It does 100 splits and I can wear it double-duty for running if for some reason I don't want to haul along my Garmin 305.

My pool SUCKS! It's the only one in my area, just a tiny little saltwater gym swimming pool, only 55ft long, no lane markers or swim clocks... But the area is starting the process of building a worldclass 50m pool with all sorts of bells and whistles. It will be ready in 2013, so maybe one day I can swim like a real athlete!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64