BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-04-17 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4125768

Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Closed
Set a personal record Sunday for longest run.  I set out to do a short, easy run to follow up my longish brick the day before, but I felt good and the weather was perfect (65 degrees, sunny, only wind was a tailwind on the last leg) so I kept going.  Ended up doing 5.5 miles, about a mile farther than what I've done previously.

2012-04-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4155090

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
mattkenken - 2012-04-17 8:36 AM

... and runs have been slower than previous years where I have been just running and nothing else.  Anyone else encounter similar situations?

I don't think that's uncommon. Specificity is the key: you run faster when you run, swim faster when you swim, and bike faster when you bike. There's some carryover in overall conditioning, but if you're not running quite as much, your running might drop back a little. Over time, you'll be able to carry a heavier training load, and ramp up your running.

I am going to concentrate on bringing more volume of runs into my weekly training because chances are I will do some running only events this year and there is no chance that i will do any biking or swimming only events. 

One good way to do that is to ensure you keep a weekly long run in your schedule, rather than adding a lot of runs. Do this at an easy pace and you'll gain running endurance without beating yourself up doing a lot of shorter runs.

On another note I was thinking of trying a practice indoor triathlon this Saturday.  Something on my own at the gym.  Nothing high intensity but just to see what covering the distance will feel like.  I feel like I can complete the workout because I'm looking at less than 1.5 hours total time.  Any thoughts on this, is it too early (tri is 11 weeks away), or would it be a good idea to go ahead and give it a shot? --Wendall

Sure, go for it. The familiarity is a confidence builder. The overall time isn't that important, so don't feel you need to go long.

Good questions!

Ken
2012-04-18 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4157290

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Cloverleaf - 2012-04-17 11:24 PM

Set a personal record Sunday for longest run.  I set out to do a short, easy run to follow up my longish brick the day before, but I felt good and the weather was perfect (65 degrees, sunny, only wind was a tailwind on the last leg) so I kept going.  Ended up doing 5.5 miles, about a mile farther than what I've done previously.

Nice job! Days like that are always very rewarding. And let's face it -- not that many average Americans can run that far!

Ken
2012-04-18 5:57 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Ok, question.  I'm doing workouts pretty regularly, but I constantly feel like I'm not doing enough.  Is it just because I'm dong each discipline one or two times a week?  Overall, I think I'm doing ok, but sometimes I feel like I'm doing a lot but not accomplishing anything.  Is this common when you really get into all three disciplines for the first time?
2012-04-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4159207

User image

Iowa

Fokker416 - 2012-04-18 5:57 PM Ok, question.  I'm doing workouts pretty regularly, but I constantly feel like I'm not doing enough.  Is it just because I'm dong each discipline one or two times a week?  Overall, I think I'm doing ok, but sometimes I feel like I'm doing a lot but not accomplishing anything.  Is this common when you really get into all three disciplines for the first time?

I have felt the same way lately about not doing enough. For me it might just be that I am getting into better shape and want to charge forward! I have not done a simualted sprint yet and that mybe what I need to do soon.

2012-04-19 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4160734

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I think both of you touch upon a common feeling, the "gee I should be doing more!" worry.

One effective way of pushing back your boundaries is to work in longer sessions in each of your disciplines. For example, rather than riding your bike about the same distance each time, take one day a week and go longer, while keeping the other rides the same relative distance. Increase gradually, and every few weeks step back a bit to let your body recover.

Another way, which some here are doing, is to get a plan to follow to lead up to your main race. Or, for that matter, work with a coach to get the same effect. A well-constructed plan or good coach will gradually increase the load and intensity of what you're doing.

Patience is an important part of your progression, though. You don't want to do too much, too soon, too fast, or you risk injury or burnout. I'll take a look at what you've been logging as soon as I get a chance and get you some more feedback as well.

Ken

2012-04-19 6:17 PM

Jim and Fokker,

In addition to the gradual increases Ken describes, I like to measure things, so after a few months of training I started adding new measurements to make sure I was working hard enough during the workout.  Things like average pace, time spent in each heart rate zone, average power (bike), 100 m swim times (my pool has giant digital clocks all long the side).  These things may not be too important in the long run, but they give me feedback on what I'm doing, which I really enjoy since I have no one physically present to coach me (aka tell me when I'm slacking).

Oddly, keeping track of my HR has led me to actually decrease my intensity.  Turns out I felt like I was dying during some of my runs because I probably was (i.e., too high HR, not enough time for blood to feed my heart = yuck).

Trading more shorter runs for fewer longer runs, like Ken described, has been a big help for me.

(edit: removed the stuff that basically repeated what ken said)

Edited by Cloverleaf 2012-04-19 6:22 PM
2012-04-19 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4161644

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Cloverleaf - 2012-04-19 7:17 PM

Things like ...average power (bike), )

Ha! You're way ahead of me -- just bought my first power meter today!

Ken
2012-04-20 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

Hey everyone,

I read that some of you aren't certain that you are doing enough. I can share with you that last year i was training for a half marathon and started feeling much the same way and I ended up hitting a wall about a month before the event fortunately i had time to figure out what was happening to me and was able to recover and ran a good race. I still push my training but have learned to listen to my body I am 54 so i have to or else.  Also i want to tell everyone about my first BRICK I did an 18 mi. ride in which i tried out my hydration backpack (didn't really need it) and put my feet in toe baskets for the first time. I did this in my new tri shorts (Pearl Izumi) and they felt good. When i took off on the run I could barley feel my legs, i would glance down and see my feet but it was like they were someone elses i kept thinking ok you will get the feeling back any sec. and at the end of the first mi. i did feel them some. So i did 2mi. in 15:49 a good start for me but i can tell this something i had better do a lot of to get my body to accept what i am asking of it. Next up is a swim/bike brick.

On a different subject I wanted to ask if anyone uses any supplements such as protein? I have been using Hammer soy protein. And does anyone listen to Ben Greenfield podcast? I have learned more about nutrition and fitness in the last 4mo. than i ever thought possible. Go to One last thing does anyone supplement with Chelated  Magnesium? Check out this very important mineral that virtually everyone is deficient in. Thanks for listening 

2012-04-21 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
A rainy race day is on tap for me on Sunday. Forecast is calling for a slow steady soaking rain.

Any tips?
2012-04-21 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4164197

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
pvfd304 - 2012-04-21 8:52 AM

A rainy race day is on tap for me on Sunday. Forecast is calling for a slow steady soaking rain.

Any tips?

Fortunately you've got a pool swim, so you can stay dry before you start. The distances are short for your race, so just get out and hit the bike and swim hard. Use caution where necessary of course, like on sharp turns with the bike. Be sure you've got a dry towel and something warm and dry to change into right after the race -- that's the key.

Good luck!

Ken

2012-04-21 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4163842

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-04-20 8:37 PM

Hey everyone,

I read that some of you aren't certain that you are doing enough. I can share with you that last year ... 

Some great questions and observations -- let me check into some things and weigh in tomorrow. Have a great evening!

Ken
2012-04-22 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4164858

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
kenail - 2012-04-21 9:36 PM

pvfd304 - 2012-04-21 8:52 AM

Any tips?

Fortunately you've got a pool swim, so you can stay dry before you start. The distances are short for your race, so just get out and hit the bike and swim hard. Use caution where necessary of course, like on sharp turns with the bike. Be sure you've got a dry towel and something warm and dry to change into right after the race -- that's the key.

Good luck!

Ken

Hey -- how'd the race go?

Ken
2012-04-23 4:42 AM
in reply to: #4166011

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Had a good time. Had a ok swim, good ride, and a below average run due to knee pain caused by a steep downhill section.
Weather was in the low 50s with rain. I dressed for the cold so it wasn't too bad.
Here's my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2012-04-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4166402

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Great to read your report! Sounds like you handled it all pretty well, even with the bad weather.

I see your doing Thunder Ridge. What mileage option are you doing?

And finally, if you're looking for a sprint tri later in the year, consider the Goochland Sprint. Nice little race, fast bike course. I'll be doing it as a fun race to break up IM training -- would love to see you there!

Ken
2012-04-23 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4166402

User image

Iowa

pvfd304 - 2012-04-23 4:42 AM Had a good time. Here's my race report. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=436396[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the race report, It looks like you did great!

2012-04-23 3:59 PM

User image

New user

The report looked great.  Always good to read about other experiences.  Still need to put mine in from this weekend.

The race was neat and good to get back into the triathlon mode.  Only second time on the bike since Sep 10 (yes, I'm more than ready to work on something other than running).  The swim,  however, was difficult.  Water temp was only 50 degrees (they actually changed it to a duathlon two days before, and switched it back just the afternoon before the race).  Still need a lot more practice in transitions, as well.

Question for more experienced triathletes ... how long should it take to prepare for 1/2 IM??  I'd love to do one (one of my big goals), and I'm thinking of signing up for one in September.  Will that provide enough time to prep (already have the run base, but far behind in the bike, and need some more polishing with the swim)??  I still intend to do a few Sprints and Oly distances, but would really like to do a 1/2 IM.  What are some thoughts??

Also, I learned this weekend there is a new website:  www. that provides rankings (with tweaks based on race conditions and competition fields).  I just registered and uploaded previous race performances to see how it does.  Thought I would put the information out for others (not sure if it's European focused, or will take races from everywhere).  Have a good week, all (who has races coming up??),

Rich

2012-04-23 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4168058

User image

New user

sorry the website is:  www. rankmytri .com  Any thoughts on this site??

Edited by richwampler 2012-04-23 4:04 PM
2012-04-23 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Funny you should mention Goochland. I have had it on my radar for awhile now. I need to go ahead and sign up. Seems like all my races are in cool weather. Maybe one in Aug will be different.

I will be riding the 47 miles loop. That Thunder Ridge climb has me scared. I need to ride up there one day check out the ride.

2012-04-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: #4168086

User image

Veteran
Central VA
Just checked the date. That the day I'm leaving for vacation. That why I didn't sign up.
2012-04-24 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4168058

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
richwampler - 2012-04-23 4:59 PM

Question for more experienced triathletes ... how long should it take to prepare for 1/2 IM??  I'd love to do one (one of my big goals), and I'm thinking of signing up for one in September.  Will that provide enough time to prep (already have the run base, but far behind in the bike, and need some more polishing with the swim)??  

5 months of preparation time should be more than adequate. You'll need to hit the bike and swim, obviously, but you've got the run in the bag at this point. The key, as always, is finding a solid plan to follow.

Ken

2012-04-24 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4168069

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
richwampler - 2012-04-23 5:04 PM

sorry the website is:  www. rankmytri .com  Any thoughts on this site??

Doesn't seem to have too many people's races on there. And the fact is, after you've raced for a while you get a pretty good feel for where you're at in the big scheme of things.

For you state-side racers, USA Triathlon compiles rankings throughout the year. It's a great way to compare your performance across your age group nationally.

http://membership.usatriathlon.org/RNK_Ranking_Report_Wrapper.aspx

And I've always enjoyed athlinks.com -- it doesn't rank you, but it's a great resource for collecting your race data. You can see my link to athlinks on my signature line, if you want an example.

Ken
2012-04-24 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4168104

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
pvfd304 - 2012-04-23 5:21 PM

Just checked the date. That the day I'm leaving for vacation. That why I didn't sign up.

Bummer -- have a great vacation!

Ken
2012-04-24 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4163842

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-04-20 8:37 PM

On a different subject I wanted to ask if anyone uses any supplements such as protein? I have been using Hammer soy protein. And does anyone listen to Ben Greenfield podcast? I have learned more about nutrition and fitness in the last 4mo. than i ever thought possible. Go to One last thing does anyone supplement with Chelated  Magnesium? Check out this very important mineral that virtually everyone is deficient in. Thanks for listening 

Personally, I'm not a big supplement person, but I do try to ensure I get enough protein. Good rule of thumb is .6 grams daily for every pound of body weight. So on occasion I'll add a little whey protein to milk, yogurt or applesauce when I have breakfast.

Thanks for the tip on the Ben Greenfield podcast -- I'll take a look for that.

I don't use Chelated Magnesium -- can you tell us a bit more about the benefits? I'm curious to hear more!

Ken
2012-04-24 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4168994

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Chelated Magnesium absorbs into the body better than most other magnesium, There are very few people that are not magnesium deficient. Think of magnesium as the band leader of all other nutrients and minerals, without its presence your body cannot efficiently if at all use the other nutrients available such as Vitamin E, C, potassium, calcium in fact most people are calcium toxic because the lack of magnesium allows the enzymes in your gut to latch onto only the calcium witch in turn tells the body to stop producing Storage Vitamin D witch in turn reduces potassium. Magnesium deficiency has links to ADS, Alzheimer's,  Heart disease, and many other chronic diseases not to mention Anxiety. If you really want to learn a lot about this on your own go to www.magnesiumman.com and listen to morley robbins or if you have an ipod go to itunes and download for free Underground wellness podcasts you will learn about stuff you never even heard of. Then again maybe i am just easily entertained. I have noticed that i sleep better and have more energy.  I also take MSM 1000 which is a joint lubricant and i swear by it my joints don't ache and feel better than when i was 40, i am 54
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  

of 9