BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-08 5:24 AM
in reply to: #4725832

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open

Hi everyone, can I joing too? Here is a little about me:

NAME: Hubbie/Beth

STORY: I am a paramedic for the past ten years and I can
honestly say that after all these years I still enjoy my job. No two days are
ever the same and just when I think I understand a certain part of my job I
discover something new.

I’ve been racing as a runner for as long as I can remember
but four years ago I started to get somewhat more serious about it. Three years
ago I took up triathlon as a personal challenge and fell in love with the
sport. So for I have done one sprint, a handful of Olympics, one HIM, five half
marathons, and two full marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily single and also the mother to a
beautiful little boy, Toby, who is five. He is the light of my life and I spend
all my spare time with him. He seems to also be very athletic, so far his two
great loves are swimming and soccer. However last year he completed his first
road race and has been asking more to get him sighed up for a triathlon.
Obviously the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.  

CURRENT TRAINING:  Beingthat I work overnights, a 12 hour shift, and a rotating schedule my training has a way of being hit or miss. For instance I missed that last workout because
I was so darn tired from my shift at work. I have a training plan that has me
set up for three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. I try to get as
many of those as possible but it doesn’t always work out that way.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I’m taking it easy this year with races
due to a hip injury last year that landed me in five months of physical
therapy. So this year I’m doing a Treckman Tri (sprint) which is to support a
friend who is a first time race director. Second race is also a sprint the Iowa
Games which is just a good time. There are a few who take that race seriously
but most of us are just there to have fun. My third and final race is the
Hy-Vee Tri which is an Olympic and where I will be challenging my first attempt
at the US Nationals. Last year I qualified and this year I’m going to see how I
stack up against others who also qualified.

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight wise I’m certainly not a small thing and
when most people look at me the words triathlete and marathoner do not come to
mind. And I know I have about 15 pounds to loose. That being said I lift
weights on a regular basis (at work just because I’m female does not give me
special treatment. I’m expected to lift as much as the guys)  and over the years have built a nice lean
muscle base.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: I hope to find a group
that I can talk shop with and to help keep my motivated. I also hope to be able
to offer some insights and wisdom to others that I’ve gleaned over the past
four years of racing.

2013-05-08 5:29 AM

User image

Taringa, try putting two lines between paragraphs instead of the usual one. This seemed to work for posting from my phone...Rennay, welcome to the group you are just down the road from me. Im in Lexington!

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-05-08 5:31 AM
2013-05-08 5:30 AM

User image

Well i said two lines worked for me, but not that time.
2013-05-08 5:47 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Thanks Corbet, I did try that when I tried to edit and it failed then too. Maybe I'll try 3 lines...I've fiddled with the forum settings too, so maybe something will have changed. . . <<< Beth, sounds like you've got a wealth of experience and knowledge there. Did you find the hit and miss nature of training with the rotating night shift work has a big impact on your overall fitness? I'm guessing the answer is "yes", but I suppose I'd like to hear "not as much as you's think"! I always feel guilty, like I'm letting myself down and I won't catch up in time, if I miss a session, even if it is for a valid reason. . . <
2013-05-08 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4728982

NAME: RZ0/Jim

STORY: 52yo New Jerseyan in good shape, trying to get in better shape. Tri training, I find, is a good way to battle midlife crisis. Did my first sprint tri last October.

FAMILY STATUS: married, two daughters, 15 and 11

CURRENT TRAINING: Had just worked up to hour-a-day workouts then started a new assignment, so commuting 90 mins each way and the work are making it tough.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ran a 5K in 24:34 (PR) last month, have another one June 1. Started an earnest running program for the first time, so I'm hoping to break 24:00. Will repeat the tri I did last year and run another 5K/10K. Also considering a sprint tri in early August.

WEIGHTLOSS: None - I am trying to change up my diet to balance carb vs. protein, particularly before and after workouts

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Inspiration and tips from people who are new and who have to balance life with training. Ideas on how to train for shorter races.

2013-05-08 5:58 AM

User image

Veteran

Sometimes I do feel guilty about not making a workout out and when I do I have to fight the desire to "double up" on the next day. I guess my fitness level is such that one or two and mayby three missed workouts really don't effect me so much. But that fitness level has come after years of racing and even longer of leading a very active life style.

Today I hope to do a 15 mile bike ride, followed by 1.5 hours with the free weights. May have the energy for a short run too. I will be getting off of work and will also have to work tonight so I will need to get some sleep in.

Beth

2013-05-08 6:42 AM

User image

New user

Hey everyone! I've been lurking your group for a few days, and I'd love to join!

NAME: In case my username didn't give it away - I'm Dawn Anderson!

STORY: I'm 42, a native of Richmond, VA, and just found better health & fitness in 2011. I was on the road to some heavy health problems & decided I didn't want to go there. I've shed a bit over 50 lbs through a structure weight management program. That program put me on the fitness path and I'm digging it! Other than marching band in high school, I've never been anywhere close to athletic in my life. I had a friend jokingly (I'm sure) mention I should consider triathlon in March when I was hitting a workout slump and the idea has stuck.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my 2nd grade BFF for almost 23 years, childless by choice

CURRENT TRAINING: Workout schedule since 2011 has been 45 min - 1hr each of strength & cardio 2-3 times per week. I had slacked off of that for the first part of this year, but after the Tri bug was put in my ear, April had that schedule. I also started a beginners swim class in April (did I mention I don't know how to swim?!). I started the 16 week swim focused training plan from this site last Monday.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Doing the GLOWRun 5K this weekend just for the party. I'm signed up to do the Pink Power Sprint on August 18 in Richmond.

WEIGHTLOSS: still looking to lose another 10-15 lbs.

WHAT I HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Just looking to connect with others, particularly those entering into the Tri world right along with meSmile Mentoring from the more experience would be great too as I couldn't be more of a newbie if I tried!

2013-05-08 8:20 AM

5th Annual STATEN ISLAND TRI/DUATHLON-2013

August 11, 2013

Midland Beach
Staten Island NY 10314

Your transaction was processed successfully.
Thank you for registering for the STATEN ISLAND TRI/DUATHLON.
Please go to the NEW YORK TRIATHLON web site www.NYTRI.org and read the competitor information on theevents page.
2013-05-08 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4732348

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 9:36 PM
MJSolt - 2013-05-07 6:12 PM

First Spin Class

Sweat

Ouch

Will I ever walk right again?

Ouch

Gonna go stretch

LaughingMichael, this cracked me up.Tongue out  Let's do a first timers spin class test.  Did you look around to see who, if anyone, was struggling like you?  I remember looking around and seeing people that appeared out of shape that were killing it, and I was just wondering when the heck it was gonna end.  It's funny though because when you finish and cool off you kind of want more. Wink  Almost forgot the other test question. Did you feel a little funny walking in with bike shorts on?  Great Job Man

There were only 6 others in the class and no one was struggling like I was. I wasn't able to keep up with the pace or resistance and I only stood once. I just wanted to go, make it the whole 45 minutes, and see what it was all about. Next time I will try and stand more, hopefully that will alleviate some of the discomfort from the saddle. 

My rear end started to hurt about 15 minutes in and my the 30 minute make I was contemplating getting off the bike and calling it a day. I toughed it out and made it to the end. I just kept on going at whatever pace and resistance was comfortable to me. I did start to feel some knee pain when I would press it a bit, it seems to go away when I made an effort to get into proper form.

I didn't buy full on bike shorts, just some liners that I was able to wear regular gym shorts over. I am not sure what they actually did for me because I am pretty sore "down there" today. I plan to go back next week for sure. It was a great workout as I was sweating like crazy within the first 10 minutes.

2013-05-08 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4732761

User image

Rensselaer, New York
ibr80 - 2013-05-08 9:20 AM

August 11, 2013

Midland Beach
Staten Island NY 10314

Please go to the NEW YORK TRIATHLON web site www.NYTRI.org and read the competitor information on theevents page.

Way to go!!

2013-05-08 9:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-05-08 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4728982

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-05-08 10:44 AM

New user

Edited by iamDawnAnderson 2013-05-08 10:45 AM
2013-05-08 10:45 AM

New user
ibr80 - 2013-05-08 9:20 AM

August 11, 2013

Midland Beach
Staten Island NY 10314

Yes! You did it! Congrats!

2013-05-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4732573

Extreme Veteran

Taringa - 2013-05-08 5:11 AM Hmm, I can't put the paragraph spacing in. I've posted this from my tablet and it won't paragraph, does anyone know how to fix the problem? I'm sorry, most of my posts are going to look pretty messy and be hard to read....

It's not going to let you, I have seen this problem with many others using I-Pad and Tablets.  Don't worry about it, your not be graded.Wink

2013-05-08 10:51 AM

New user
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

Since others are posting there leaps into triathlon, here's mine:

Proof of registration

Eeek! Smile

2013-05-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4733098

New user
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-08 11:50 AM

Taringa - 2013-05-08 5:11 AM Hmm, I can't put the paragraph spacing in. I've posted this from my tablet and it won't paragraph, does anyone know how to fix the problem? I'm sorry, most of my posts are going to look pretty messy and be hard to read....

It's not going to let you, I have seen this problem with many others using I-Pad and Tablets.  Don't worry about it, your not be graded.Wink

If you are familiar with HTML commands, you can force it on iPads/tablets/etc. The paragraph commands are the following but WITHOUT the . that's there (if I leave out the . it will just do the command and you won't be able to see what I'm typing to show you):

<p.> before what you type or want in a new paragraph, then put </p.> at the end.

I hope this makes sense...

2013-05-08 11:05 AM
in reply to: #4732579

Extreme Veteran
Hubbie - 2013-05-08 5:24 AM

Hi everyone, can I joing too? Here is a little about me:

NAME: Hubbie/Beth

STORY: I am a paramedic for the past ten years and I can
honestly say that after all these years I still enjoy my job. No two days are
ever the same and just when I think I understand a certain part of my job I
discover something new.

I’ve been racing as a runner for as long as I can remember
but four years ago I started to get somewhat more serious about it. Three years
ago I took up triathlon as a personal challenge and fell in love with the
sport. So for I have done one sprint, a handful of Olympics, one HIM, five half
marathons, and two full marathons.

FAMILY STATUS: I am happily single and also the mother to a
beautiful little boy, Toby, who is five. He is the light of my life and I spend
all my spare time with him. He seems to also be very athletic, so far his two
great loves are swimming and soccer. However last year he completed his first
road race and has been asking more to get him sighed up for a triathlon.
Obviously the apple didn’t fall far from the tree.  

CURRENT TRAINING:  Beingthat I work overnights, a 12 hour shift, and a rotating schedule my training has a way of being hit or miss. For instance I missed that last workout because
I was so darn tired from my shift at work. I have a training plan that has me
set up for three swims, three bikes, and three runs per week. I try to get as
many of those as possible but it doesn’t always work out that way.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I’m taking it easy this year with races
due to a hip injury last year that landed me in five months of physical
therapy. So this year I’m doing a Treckman Tri (sprint) which is to support a
friend who is a first time race director. Second race is also a sprint the Iowa
Games which is just a good time. There are a few who take that race seriously
but most of us are just there to have fun. My third and final race is the
Hy-Vee Tri which is an Olympic and where I will be challenging my first attempt
at the US Nationals. Last year I qualified and this year I’m going to see how I
stack up against others who also qualified.

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight wise I’m certainly not a small thing and
when most people look at me the words triathlete and marathoner do not come to
mind. And I know I have about 15 pounds to loose. That being said I lift
weights on a regular basis (at work just because I’m female does not give me
special treatment. I’m expected to lift as much as the guys)  and over the years have built a nice lean
muscle base.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: I hope to find a group
that I can talk shop with and to help keep my motivated. I also hope to be able
to offer some insights and wisdom to others that I’ve gleaned over the past
four years of racing.

Welcome to the group Beth,

Glad to see that you did not let the horse keep you down after he kicked the heck of out you.  You have accomplished a lot and will be able to provide insight and experience to the group.  Remember when you talk shop to speak to the experience level of your audience.  I found your comment humerous about people looking at you and not thinking you are a marathoner.  I laughed because I found out quickly at my first tri not to judge a book by it's cover.  I remember seeing one lady and thinking "boy I hope she makes it thru"  I stopped thinking that when she blew past me on the run like I was standing still. 

Beth, again welcome to the group.

2013-05-08 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4732597

Extreme Veteran
RZ0 - 2013-05-08 5:56 AM . 

NAME: RZ0/Jim

STORY: 52yo New Jerseyan in good shape, trying to get in better shape. Tri training, I find, is a good way to battle midlife crisis. Did my first sprint tri last October.

FAMILY STATUS: married, two daughters, 15 and 11

CURRENT TRAINING: Had just worked up to hour-a-day workouts then started a new assignment, so commuting 90 mins each way and the work are making it tough.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Ran a 5K in 24:34 (PR) last month, have another one June 1. Started an earnest running program for the first time, so I'm hoping to break 24:00. Will repeat the tri I did last year and run another 5K/10K. Also considering a sprint tri in early August.

WEIGHTLOSS: None - I am trying to change up my diet to balance carb vs. protein, particularly before and after workouts

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Inspiration and tips from people who are new and who have to balance life with training. Ideas on how to train for shorter races.

Welcome to the group, Jim.

We will be here to push you and try to help you figure out when / how to get in those workouts.  I have learned that life is always gonna get in the way, but usually there is a way to move it to the side just enough to get something in.  That is an impressive 5K time and I'm sure you can drop those 35 seconds following the plan of action you have. 

Jim, Welcome Again.

2013-05-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: #4732628

Extreme Veteran
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-08 6:42 AM

Hey everyone! I've been lurking your group for a few days, and I'd love to join!

NAME: In case my username didn't give it away - I'm Dawn Anderson!

STORY: I'm 42, a native of Richmond, VA, and just found better health & fitness in 2011. I was on the road to some heavy health problems & decided I didn't want to go there. I've shed a bit over 50 lbs through a structure weight management program. That program put me on the fitness path and I'm digging it! Other than marching band in high school, I've never been anywhere close to athletic in my life. I had a friend jokingly (I'm sure) mention I should consider triathlon in March when I was hitting a workout slump and the idea has stuck.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my 2nd grade BFF for almost 23 years, childless by choice

CURRENT TRAINING: Workout schedule since 2011 has been 45 min - 1hr each of strength & cardio 2-3 times per week. I had slacked off of that for the first part of this year, but after the Tri bug was put in my ear, April had that schedule. I also started a beginners swim class in April (did I mention I don't know how to swim?!). I started the 16 week swim focused training plan from this site last Monday.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Doing the GLOWRun 5K this weekend just for the party. I'm signed up to do the Pink Power Sprint on August 18 in Richmond.

WEIGHTLOSS: still looking to lose another 10-15 lbs.

WHAT I HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Just looking to connect with others, particularly those entering into the Tri world right along with meSmile Mentoring from the more experience would be great too as I couldn't be more of a newbie if I tried!

Welcome Dawn,

First off congrats on changing your life and dropping 50 pounds.  Don't worry about not knowing how to swim becuase none of us knew how to swim until we learned , it just may have been at a younger age (which for some like me means bad habits as an adult).  You have taken the right steps by taking a swim class and starting on a plan.  Before you know it you'll be swimming your butt off.  Your Glow Run sounds like a good time and I applaud you for doing an event for the sake of having fun.  Let me finish by saying you've come to the right group, we are going to be positive, supportive, and accepting.  I don't want anyone to feel like an outsider in the group or not deserving.

Dawn, Welcome Again

2013-05-08 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4732951

Extreme Veteran
afischer01 - 2013-05-08 9:54 AM

NAME: afischer01/Ashley

STORY: Turned 30 yesterday and decided that enough is enough when it comes to being sedentary.  I was a volleyball athlete through high school and college.  Graduated and got a job with lots of sitting and my fitness took a downward spiral.  My little one is going to be four this year and the combination of sedentary job and post-baby has all but annihilated by physique.  I decided that I wanted to try a sprint triathlon before my next birthday, so I have an entire year to work on it!!

FAMILY STATUS: married/ one child 

CURRENT TRAINING:  at this point I'm not doing much and definitely not consistently

THIS YEAR'S RACES: not sure I will be ready for anything this year!

WEIGHTLOSS: yes, any amount would be wonderful

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP:  I hope to get advice on how to get started at a triathlete, support, and motivation.

Welcome to the group Ashley,

First Off, Happy BirthdayCool.  Second, congrats on not letting yourself become sedetary.  Let me say that if you work at it, you might find yourself signing up for a sprint by the end of the summer and feeling good about it. Surprised This group will be good for you and you will be able to get answers and the guidance you are looking for.

2013-05-08 11:37 AM

Extreme Veteran

All these race entries are firing me up.Cool

OK, I believe I have responded to everyone's bios, we have a strong group of 12, and I have closed the group.  I wanted it to be big enough to make sure the thread is very active, but small enough that no feels unnoticed or distant from the group.  I will post some request and things tonight after I get home from work. 

I will go into detail more tonight, but the main things in the group are going to be, positive attitudes, no goal or accomplishment is too small, encouragement, and probably the most important is that time does not distingush who were are or our level of success.  We will be a small turtle community working towards commons goals regardless of times or distances. 

2013-05-08 12:19 PM

Veteran
Dawn-

Here's a funny story for you. I signed up for my first tri, I was all sorts of excited I mean I was PUMPED!! Then I realized that I couldn't swim!

So I did things a bit backwards but as its already been stated: we all had to learn. I have full confidence you'll be able to rock out the swim part on race day.
2013-05-08 12:35 PM

I was so pumped about signing up for my TRI in august last night that I went and started training TODAY !!! I went to planet fitness and after only running a mile at a time today I took a crack at a 5k and I actually did it. I used my nike + app to record it and I actually paused it by accident when I was at 2.3 miles because I unplugged my headphones because they were slipping out of my ears. So when I thought I was at 3.0 miles I was actually at 2.2 I ALMOST FAINTED !!! LOL ! But I stuck with it and did 3.0 on the phone that in reality was about 3.9 miles NONSTOP. This is a mayor milestone for me folks I havent ran that distance in about 15 years. Cool My time was as per the Nike + ( very accurate btw ) was :

DISTANCE :3 MILES

TIME: 31:44

LAP TIME : 10:34

CALORIES : 463

2013-05-08 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4732808

How do you guys/gals feel about weight training while also trying to prepare for tris? My initial entry to preparing for tris came from a need to drop some weight. I was pretty sedentary (read that as lazy) and needed to make some global changes to my diet / exercise etc etc....so a year later (and about 85 lbs) here I am.

I had been using running and weight training as my vehicles to getting my fitness up but with the desire to participate in some triathlons I have brought cycling and now swimming into the training regiment. I am also still lifting a couple days a week (mainly upper body / back) - and was wondering if others are including weight training in their programs.

I am torn a bit, I like the weight training but realize that with finite hours available for swim/bike/run training the lifting is going to take a back seat.

Today I got out for a decent ~7 mile run this morning while desperately trying to stay in my z2 heart rate range. Which is way harder than I thought it was going to be, who would have guessed that trying to go slower and control the heart rate would be so difficult! I hit the gym and did some back / bicep lifting and then tonight is my first swim lesson....

I think I may have bitten off too much today! Hence the wondering how everyone finds the hours to make legitimate training progress?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45