of 11

2006-12-22 12:43 PM
in reply to: #631448

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL
enginerd - 2006-12-22 7:47 AM
elheffe99 - 2006-12-21 12:44 PM

Do any of you use a HRM for training? I have on and have never tried to use it to train until today. I figured out my LT with the help of the Mike Ricci and then calc'd my zones. I tried to do my run in Zone 2 today and it was very very hard. I wrote more about it in my blog if anyone cares to take a look and then make any comments. It just didn't seem like it was right.

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. I just read your blog. I've never used that feature on this site. I might need to start doing that. All your talk about massage makes me want to get a massage. Wow, 6 beers and 3 vodka sodas at the game - I'd be passed out for sure! Glad your ipod is working again. I love the maple and brown sugar frosted mini wheats too. Vanilla creme is okay. Strawberry is very artificial. plain is plain too, but the maple and brown sugar is awesome. can't always find it on sale though so I always stock up when i can. How did you calculate your LT, max, and zone 2? That zone 2 sounds awfully high. Most people complain that their zones seem too low and it's hard for them to stay down in their zone. I think my max zone 2 is something like 143.

I highly recommend a massage. I just couldn't loosen up after that 10k and it really helped a lot.

Yeah, I kind of like food and have a drink now and again....probably not the best for training....

I emailed Mike Ricci about he thought it was safe to assume that my LT was 180. I used a spreadsheet off of his website to calc the zones. I actually messaged him yesterday and he said that I need to do another LT test for the treadmill because it was probably different than what it is outside. That's got to be the explanation, although I still think it's weird I was running pretty hard and I couldn't get my HR higher than the low 160's. All of my races and things that I do I'm usually way higher.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

2006-12-22 1:49 PM
in reply to: #625451

User image

So Donato, are you riding long in prep for the Lifecycle ride? That's a heck of a lot of saddle time in only a few days, and it can be hilly, windy, and hot. We had one day that was 103 miles and 103 degrees with really strong crosswinds (quite a few people were blown over), and one day of rain. Be sure to have a new pair of shorts every day!

(Cayucos.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cayucos.jpg (14KB - 20 downloads)
2006-12-22 2:30 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Hey guys! Slow day at work today so I was able to knockoff one of my short term goals. I spent the morning setting up my race calendar. Feels good. I think it will help me stay focused.

Anyway, the main reason for this message is to wish everyone a really good and fun Christmas. I am really happy with this group and I am happy with the advice and encouragement I have received.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

In peace,
Jon
2006-12-22 5:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Hey Merry Christmas to yall. I unfortunately won't be able to participate in yalls conversations for a couple days. I am spending a week with my family in Illinois and will not be logging on much...

Richard

Enjoy the rest of this year!!!
2006-12-22 6:22 PM

User image

Happy holidays to everyone -- and in case you haven't done these things already, please make the following two New Year's resolutions:

a. Buy a RoadID or some other identifier to wear while training, racing, and vacationing ... just in case.

b. Take a CPR/first aid class.

You never know when you'll need them!

Best,
Gail
2006-12-22 9:31 PM
in reply to: #631859

User image

Master
San Francisco
gailg - 2006-12-22 11:49 AM

So Donato, are you riding long in prep for the Lifecycle ride? That's a heck of a lot of saddle time in only a few days, and it can be hilly, windy, and hot. We had one day that was 103 miles and 103 degrees with really strong crosswinds (quite a few people were blown over), and one day of rain. Be sure to have a new pair of shorts every day!

Hi Gail. I'm working on it, but haven't yet started to ramp up mileage. I ride at least 5 times week since I bike to work (although it's very short). I take a longer route home a couple times a week, but I know I'll need to do some long rides on the weekends to build up for it. I'm not so worried about mileage on a single day, but how did you train for consecutive days of high mileage? How hilly is it? I'd like to use my tri bike (I kinda think of the whole event as base builiding for my tri racing for the second half of the year), but don't know how conducive the terrain is to that (i.e. out of saddle climbing). Yes, new shorts every day for sure. BTW, keep the pictures coming - great motivation for me.

2006-12-22 9:37 PM
in reply to: #631912

User image

Master
San Francisco
CaptainQuiche - 2006-12-22 12:30 PM

Hey guys! Slow day at work today so I was able to knockoff one of my short term goals. I spent the morning setting up my race calendar. Feels good. I think it will help me stay focused.

Anyway, the main reason for this message is to wish everyone a really good and fun Christmas. I am really happy with this group and I am happy with the advice and encouragement I have received.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

In peace,
Jon

Care to share your race sched? I'm interested in seeing how you build up to the half IM. I'm working my sched still too.

2006-12-23 1:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Merry Christmas everyone! This will be my last post until New Year's, I'm off to see the family!
2006-12-23 8:48 AM
in reply to: #632143

User image

enginerd - 2006-12-22 7:31 PM

I'm not so worried about mileage on a single day, but how did you train for consecutive days of high mileage? How hilly is it? I'd like to use my tri bike (I kinda think of the whole event as base builiding for my tri racing for the second half of the year), but don't know how conducive the terrain is to that (i.e. out of saddle climbing).

At the time I thought it was pretty hilly, and there was a lot of hype about the hills, but now that I look at the route/elevation maps, it doesn't look so terrible -- which probably reflects my increased experience and my moving up into the hills so I have to ride up every day. The first day is the worst, I think, and I know I had knee trouble after that (climbing in the big gear, shame on me), as did at least the 200 other people who were at the knee injury clinic with me every morning for the rest of the ride. I suspect you'll be wishing you had the triple crank and the drop bars at least by day 3 though...the consecutive days are hard on the body. I'd say this type of ride is why you still have a road bike.

As for training, I knew nothing at all back then except "sit and pedal," which I did pretty much every day (usually alone). No periodization, no recovery except listening to my body, and I didn't even have a cyclocomputer to monitor speed or distance! I kept a log of time before the BNY ride, and it looks as if I was doing back-to-back long days (7/8 hrs) in the last few weeks before the ride, but most days were 1-2 hours, with one long on the weekend.

The ride is a lot like a big party, so if you just hammer through you miss the sights, the chitchat at the pit stops, and also helping out the slower/less experienced riders (faster riders climb the hills, then go back and bring up slower riders, rinse, repeat...). If I did it again I'd try to be BOP, but you may have to go through it once before you feel that way!

I think the Cayucos picture is the first mileage sign that says Los Angeles.

Gail
2006-12-23 5:03 PM
in reply to: #632145

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Below are my planned races for 2007. Keep in mind that my season is shorter than yours and I live in a smaller city than you and therefore I do not have access to as many local races as you probably do. Up here it’s hard to log any serious miles/hours outside before the middle of March. The focus is on the Troika. That is the race I am training for.

04/08 - Spring Thaw Duathlon I (2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run)
04/29 - Spring Thaw Duathlon II
05/06 - Bloomsday 12K run
05/20 - Thaw Duathlon III
06/16 - Five Mile Lake Triathlon Sprint, Federal Way, WA
07/21 - Tiger Tri 1/4 IM, Colville, WA
08/05 - Troika 1/2IM, Spokane, WA
http://www.racecenter.com/troika/
09/02 - Titanium Man Olympic, Moses Lake, WA

I’d be interested to see your schedule once you’re done with it.

In peace,
Jon
2006-12-27 1:34 PM

User image

Well, my news is that I managed to schedule my surgery today -- the doctor is backed up for months, but he has a cancellation, so I will have it done Tuesday! So, I will finish out Week 6 of my 8-week bicycle plan and then be off for a while. No logs unless you guys want the recovery details! Think good thoughts for little pain and fast recovery.

Gail

2006-12-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #634200

User image

Master
San Francisco
gailg - 2006-12-27 11:34 AM

Well, my news is that I managed to schedule my surgery today -- the doctor is backed up for months, but he has a cancellation, so I will have it done Tuesday! So, I will finish out Week 6 of my 8-week bicycle plan and then be off for a while. No logs unless you guys want the recovery details! Think good thoughts for little pain and fast recovery.

Gail

Hi Gail. Re: surrgery, I assume the sooner the better! We're wishing you a speedy recovery. Please do keep us informed of your recovery.
2006-12-29 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Hey Everybody!

I'm back in town for 24 hours and then off to Truckee for New Year's so thought I'd say hi. Haven't done any training for a whole week due to holiday travel- makes me nuts! Anyway, got my new little Ipod shuffle for Christmas and I'm assembling my motivating training music so I should be pumped up and ready to go by the middle of next week!

Gail: hope your recovery is going well.

To All: Happy New Year!

Warmest Wishes from Gina
2006-12-29 3:56 PM

User image

Expert

My posting has been pretty bad lately on the weekends, so Happy New Year everyone! Be safe! I look forward to everyone starting the New Year strong!

Jeff

2006-12-29 4:47 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi tri peeps. Jason (user ID scmikasa) has asked to join our little peer group here. Hopefully everyone's okay with that. He's looking to do his first tri in April and I'm sure you all have answers to his questions and great advice for him.

Jason, welcome to our group. Post a little about yourself and please feel free to ask any questions you have. We have a great group here and we're happy to help out.
2006-12-29 4:48 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
BTW, happy new year to everyone too. Enjoy and be safe!

2006-12-29 5:05 PM
in reply to: #636860

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Hello, first of all I want to thank Donato for allowing me in this group and everybody else that's already in for sharing their space with me.

I don't currently live in the bay but I grew up in the south bay and I currently live in Las Vegas.  I am taking an exam on Jan. 11 in Concord as part of the application process for a job in Martinez that I hope to get before this summer. So I'm very interested in finding people in the bay area that are involved in triathlons.  I am currently in training for my first ever triathlon on April 22, 2007; http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1342404. It will be the sprint distance and I am very excited about it. I am self motivated but have VERY little knowledge of endurance training and it seems like this group will be a great resource for me. 

I just quit smoking about 2 1/2 months ago and have been working out just to get back in to shape.  After about a month of that I realized I needed a reason to go to the gym, some sort of goal to work towards.  I was looking around online when I saw something about sprint triathlons.  I had no idea there were triathlons any shorter than the iron man events I had seen on tv so reading the distances involved was a great surprise to me.  I want to be able to say that I am a triathlete and that seems a lot more realistic to me now (I know I'll be cursing these words after crawling across the finish line on 4/22 but I will finish).  Swimming is definitely my weak point, right now I can't swim more than 50 yards without resting but I'm working on that 3 days a week and I'm not above doggy paddling in to T1.  The bike should definitely be my strong  point, I grew up on bicycles; dirt jumping my bmx until I was 19 and mountain biking in the Santa Cruz mountains and then here in Vegas.  Road bikes are new to me but I'm always confident on 2 wheels.  Running isn't my strongest point but right now I'm running twice a week and putting down 3 miles in 30 minutes so I feel like that's not a bad place to be at 4 months away from my first tri.

I just got my polar s625x in the mail today (awesome xmas gift from my wife Mandy) and I am looking forward to doing HR based training rather than just picking a pace and going for as long as I can on my bike. Sorry for the long post, but thanks again to everybody.

Jason 

..oh yeah, here's a little more http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=62607&posts=11&start=1

2006-12-29 5:59 PM

User image

Hey, Jason -- welcome!
I see your first race is the Rage in the Sage. I did that swim, and part of the bike, in October at the Pumpkinman race (see my photo album; the bike pic is on the course). You will have a great time! Swimming gets easier the more you do it, so hang in there.
Gail
2006-12-29 8:40 PM
in reply to: #636877

User image

Master
San Francisco
Hi again Jason. Quitting smoking was a big step. Sounds like you are in fine shape already for the bike and run portions of a tri. Sounds like you're working hard on your swim and with with the work you're putting in, you should be fine. Hopefully you'll be hooked after your first one just like the rest of us.

Post any questions you have about the swim. Gail, our resident swim expert, will no doubt have some good advice for you.

One thing to think about adding to your training is bricks - running after biking. In my first sprints, I was in fine shape for each inidividual event. I had a running background so I didn't think too much of running 3.1 miles in a sprint tri. However, I have to admit that in some ways those were the hardest 3 miles I ever ran! It's just very different doing a run after biking and it helps quite a bit to practice and get your muscles used to doing that.

2006-12-29 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Congratulations on throwing the smokes away!!! Its a nice mixture that we have now in this forum with Donato as the real triathlete and Gail the swim expert and you on the bike.

Its also nice to have someone else here that sucks at swimming (in a good way). I like you am new to swimming so its tough to get used too, but am slowly working up my endurance and hope to FINISH the swim leg in my first tri this January. Thankfully it is an indoor event so I can always stop for a second on the swim if neccessary.

Anyway its great to have another person in this group and look forward to reading your logs.

Richard

Happy New Year to Everyone also.
2006-12-30 1:22 PM
in reply to: #636914

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

Gail, thank you.  I'm pretty new to this sight though and am not able to find photo albums.  I'm sure the link is right in front of me but if somebody could point it out I'd appreciate it.

Donato, yes my two goals for my training in the next month are to figure out heart rate zone training using my new heart rate monitor and to add bricks to my training.  I am working on my calendar, I changed my training program to the sprint - swim focussed - 16 weeks because that's more in line with my figuring out how to swim more than one lap at a time priority.  However, I'm looking at the program and it does not seem to have any days with both runs and bike scheduled, should I just choose 1 day every week or two that has a long workout planned (either a bike or run workout) and subsitute a brick for that?

Richard, good luck on your first tri in January.  I look forward to being that close to finally getting out there and competing.  As far as my bike skills go, while I'm very confident on two wheels, for me that has always meant larger wheels with knobby tires that hopefully weren't even touching the ground that often.  So while I'm not as concerned about the bike portion as I am the rest, I still have a lot to learn about road bikes, tri bikes (I actually don't even own either yet but I'm working on that) as well as actually training for endurance on a bike rather than just looking around for a fun line and bombing it until somebody in the group decides it's beer time.

I'm definitely glad I found this group, I think you will all help me on this journey.  Hopefully I can return the favor.

Edited by scmikasa 2006-12-30 1:25 PM

2006-12-30 4:07 PM

User image

Jason, in the blue band at the bottom of this box (where the message is), you will see some buttons -- profile, album, stats, logs, races, etc. Album = my photo album. You can set up your own, too!

As for bricks, I would suggest waiting till you are easily covering each distance alone, although I think Donato may disagree about that. But, one of my coaches recommended to me something that would be useful for you, too -- after every single bike ride, park the bike safely and run for 10 minutes (with no more than 5 minutes between bike and run). He swears that if you do this for a month, you'll never have the jelly-leg feeling at the start of the run in a triathlon and you'll be able to start the run on pace. I plan to do it myself when I am able to run again.
2006-12-30 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Yeah, I figured it was right in front of me, thank you.  Now I'm looking forward to filling up my album!  As for the bricks I like the idea of putting in a small run after any bike session just to get used to wearing myself out on the bike and then taking off running.  Thanks for the help and good luck with the surgery.
2006-12-30 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Hey guys, I just couldn't stay away! Logged on at the inlaw's here in Truckee.

Welcome Jason! I was reading your intro and was thinking, man this is a small world! I currently live in Pleasant Hill on the Martinez border, until our new house is finished then we'll still be in P.Hill but on the Walnut Creek border. So if you get your job here I could show you the great bike trails and running spots! Wouldn't hurt having someone to train with on occasion too since my husband gets nervous when I'm out there alone. And if you want to know the better gyms around I could steer you straight. Anyway, I'm always happy to hear when someone gives up smoking and wants to add positive and exciting elements to their life and you definately picked a great sport to get into. Best of luck!

Gina
2006-12-30 6:28 PM
in reply to: #637413

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

That would be great Gina, but I don't want to get to far ahead of myself I'm just at the very beginning of the application process.   If it happens though, I'll definitely be looking for riding & running places as well as training partners.

Thanks,

Jason

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11