BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-11 6:38 AM
in reply to: #649705

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- OPEN
ecjones_98 - 2007-01-10 4:46 PM

Are you still taking group members? If so, then I will re-post with pertinent information about myself and try to catch up. Thanks. Full disclosure...I will not be able to ride on Sunday.

Not able to ride, eh? Hmmm. Already a slacker. Tch tch tch.

Welcome. This forum is like a pick-up game. If you show up, you play. So give us some details and let's get started.

2007-01-11 6:42 AM
in reply to: #650056

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-10 10:37 PM

is there a better path way to get to this fourm? right now I am going into fourms, into open list and then going in through prof40's group- open. Seems like this niffty site would have a cleaner route.
BGT

There probably is, but I don't know it. If you figure one out, though, share it with us.
2007-01-11 6:52 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
Once again, a good day of questions. We have quite a group here. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops.

About the group name change: When I teach, I have my enrolled students, of course, and I expect them to actively participate in class, whether they want to or not. But my classes are always open to anyone else who wants to sneak in the back, which happens often. I've adopted the same idea here. The best way to learn is to exchange ideas, and I'm pleased at how you've all jumped in and been so open with your suggestions to each other. Keep it up. If our group gets so big that I find it unmanageable, I'll close it to new members. But for now, I'm keeping it open. Thanks for your understanding.

And hey, have you started logging your training? Please do. It's encouraging and motivational, and I'm going to check up on you. (You're always welcome to look at mine, too. No secrets there.)

Have a great day.
2007-01-11 6:54 AM
in reply to: #650209

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-11 7:37 AM

One more tip--take a lot of salmon oil, or eat salmon (wild, not farm raised) to get plenty of EPA and DHA for your baby's brain. Nothing better for helping to reduce inflammation, get your good cholesterol up and help with your child's development.

Adding salmon to the grocery list.
2007-01-11 8:42 AM

User image

Minneapolis
phoeinxgirl- you rock! very funny. thanks for the heads up, my hubby will be feeding me salmon which I already love, weekly. I am just starting to see myself as an athlete, your kind words were a great reminder.

Prof- caveat accepted! pick up basketball, great anology. star trek, I am kinda young (29), like the trek, prefer Harry Potter (I pushed a 7 year old out of my way at midnight to get to book 6). (Also way deep into the TV show six feet under on DVD, who knew funeral homes could be so sexy)

I digress, I have rested for three days, need to move- only going to do 5 mile bike and 1 mile run, on friday I teach and then will do a causal swim (8 laps), saturday I will do a big strech. Also my 1st 5k of the year is 1-21-07 my dream time is 42 minutes. stay warm.
2007-01-11 9:32 AM

NAME: My name is Eric Jones from Chicago - 37 years old, a little more than 6' tall

STORY: Growing up I was heavily involved in sports up to mid-20s. Then I stopped doing anything at all with the exception of the occasional soccer game where I play goalie. Not exactly the post physically demanding position. Two summers ago I went for a bike ride with a friend on the lakefront and I got the bug to do it more often. I started getting up early before work and on Saturdays to ride. Then I got a little more serious about 9 months ago and joined a fitness club close to my office where I work out about 4 hours a week. Since then I have lost about 30 pounds from the regular exercise and some dietary changes. My wife and I go to another club near our house for my wife's benefit. At the suggestion of a friend I decided to try a sprint distance race in May and see how that goes. I don't really have any grand plan to achieve IM or Olympic distances. I would be pretty happy to do a few sprints and improve my performance at that level.

PAST RACES: None

FAMILY STATUS: My wife and I have been married for five years and we have a two year old son and another child due in June. My wife is pretty supportive.

2007 RACES: I am registered for my first sprint tri in May (Galena, IL). Assuming I finish, then I will probably try another. Depending on whether I can keep up exercise and training after the second child arrives, I might do a sprint tri in Lake Geneva, WI and possibly a third later in the season. At this point, I plan on using my Jamis hybrid bike. Any suggestions for making a hybrid bike more comfortable and a little faster?

CURRENT TRAINING: On average four/five days a week, I am up to about 4.5 miles on the treadmill running 10 minute per mile using speed and hill intervals. Occasionally, I do the bike but that is pretty random and not planned out very well. I haven't been in a pool for my purposes in a long time. I have access to several pools, so I need to find the right time to get in some swim training. Regular work on core muscles and occasional strength training (with no real idea what I am doing). I bought a bike trainer to use at home so I can spend my time at the club on other areas. Posted a few of my recent workouts. Have not done any heart rate training, but open to any and all training suggestions.

WEIGHT LOSS GOAL: I am down to about 192 today from the low 220s. I would like to drop a few more, but my weight fluctuates a lot and the running I find to be the best for keeping the weight off. The BMI charts suggest that I should between 175-180. I am closer to that than I thought I would ever be, but that is not a real goal. If I reach that point as a result of the training and regular exercise, so be it.

Edited by ecjones_98 2007-01-11 1:43 PM

2007-01-11 4:22 PM

User image

Been on the road (I am actually in Southern Pennsylvania...pretty close to the professor) and writing an NIH grant so I have not been able to log any miles but tomorrow I am going for a run and a ride. Sunday I will do the ride as requested but I know that I usually average about 18 miles/ min. I entered my results for the Hyannis Sprint as well if you want to take a look. It was my second race and I did it on my birthday....it was a great way to start out the day and I didn't feel so guilty when I pigged out on sushi and sake that night.

Professor, I have been logging my stuff and looking at yours as well. I notice you get in some good time on the bike. Are you using a trainer or outdoors? Your first swim was pretty good as well at 1:42....I am working to get there. My runs have been slower than usual as I am trying to work in the aerobic zone before pushing the speedwork but we shall see. By the way I had a physical one month ago and checked out OK (sort of weird to be on the other end of a physical....turn your head and cough ahem). I actually gained a little weight swimming but I still think I should be around 185-190 ideally.

I am going to start signing up for races over the weekend. Any good ones in Southern Pennsylvania....my friend lives near Gettysburg and I am going to come visit him and convince him to do a tri as well. He is a big biker and he likes to swim so convincing him to do one more event shouldn't be too hard.
2007-01-11 4:23 PM
in reply to: #651338

User image

By the way quick questions.

1-How do you turn off the email that I get everytime someone posts to this forum.

2-How do I change my graph in the log to have the multicolor chart with the different disciplines.

2007-01-11 4:36 PM

jmtrevejo,

For your Q1, try going to the control panel and click the link that says unsubscribe from threads.
2007-01-11 11:07 PM
in reply to: #650190

The race I picked is on June 19th, but I've been reluctant to sign up due to the fact that there is a 2.5 hour limit. I just don't know if that is doable with my weight(now 275 on a 6'5" frame). Even if I'm able to drop the 30 lbs I want to it's gonna be a stretch. As far as equipment I'm got everything the YMCA has to offer. The stuff I own is a set of nike frees and a couple of dumbells. I don't even have a bike so I'll have to pick up a second hand bike before any tri I attempt (no reason to shell out for a new one if I don't know what I need yet). Now for my questions.

1. Really, is 2.5 hours reasonable for a first tri when I'm out of shape. I hate to not be allowed to finish if it's my first race. I'm not sure my delicate ego can handle a blow like that.

2. It's an open water swim (that doesn't phase me) and they said wetsuits are not allowed if the water temp is above 75 degrees. Does a swim shirt count or is that a grey area?

3. Am I totally insane for attempting this?

4. Since I work from 6:30am until about 8:00pm on Sunday and the YMCA is closed and I don't have a bike and I'm not really asking for extra credit for accomplishing a task early can I do my bike ride on the Friday prior (if you throw in enough "and"s you'll always get your way. People hate the grammer so much they just say, "whatever")?

Thanks,
Jimbo the Great
2007-01-11 11:34 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Jimbo! You are limiting yourself unnecessarily. I used to think people that did marathons and tris were gods and goddesses. I put them up on a pedastal so high they would melt in the sun's rays. No kidding. I thought I was nerd girl supreme--overweight, hyperventilated if I ran more than a block, clumsy, totally uncomfortable in my skin. So, I decided one day to BE the kind of person I admired so much. And you know what? The more I talked to these athletic deities, the more I learned that most of them couldn't run more than one block at first, either. Or that they used to be chunky monkeys, too. And they all said the same thing--you won't believe how FAST your body will improve with regular effort. One day you run your first mile without collapsing, and very soon, you find you can run 8 or 9 miles and next thing, you are signed up for a half marathon, or a triathlon. I used to weigh 198. It took about 18 months, but today I'm at 140 (5'7") and I just bought my first wetsuit--it was a size small-medium! And, I look pretty athletic in it! Don't start with a tri bike. Start with a nice solid mountain bike with big wheels and a comfortable seat. My mountain bike has one of those ischial seats--the kind that just supports your butt bones and doesn't have that narrow piece that cuts off the circulation to my legs. Play around with different seats until you find one that feels good. My point is that I started with a bike that I thought looked beefy enough to handle me. But, today I put money down on a Trek tri bike that was on sale for $1049. I'll be riding the skinny little thing with the elbow rests--something I NEVER thought I'd ever be coordinated enough to do! This is an empowerment thing for me and I have committed myself to a lifetime of athleticism--one race at a time. I'll be slow at first, too. You can do it in less than 2.5 hours. How many miles bike and run is it? You have half a year to work up to it! Just do it!!! I'll be your cheerleader We all will!

2007-01-11 11:56 PM

User image

Jimbo: I agree with Phoenix completely. In fact, I could have written that myself, although I havent lost that weight yet. I still have had some very succesful races even though I am not the ideal body weight. My recommendations is not to sign up yet, work out a few months and do some time trials. If it seems realisitic, then pay the money. If not, there will probably be some races later in the summer and you can do those!

To everyone: I just ordered the Gale Bernhardt book "Triathlon Training Plans" for like $11 bucks online and really like it. It is aimed at beginners but it was still helpful for someone who has raced before. I have probably read all that info at some point in various places, but it was really nice to have it all together in a organized fashion. It gets a tiny bit technical in places (it does go into that lactate threshold stuff and actually DOES tell you how many drops of Gatordade to drink per hour) but otherwise, it was very basic. I think I am going to use her Olympic Distance training plan- they have one for newbies and those who have already built a base. There a chapters on strength training and nutrition and bike fitting. Overall, I give it a thumbs up! I bought mine on swimoutlet.com but I saw it on Amazon for just a bit more too. Swim outlet.com has great prices on swim stuff too, BTW.

To the Prof: So, I know Im already slacking by not cycling this weekend but I did buy a bike trainer and it will be arriving Tuesday so I will have no excuse next week ! However, I did one strength training session this morning! Yay, now i just have to make sure its a routine. I will try not to injure myself this weekend skiing so I can be in top form next week. I also promise to start tracking my workouts then. Its been a busy week here in Seattle, it snowed 2 days in a row and the city went beserk!
Btw, Ive been wondering what subject you teach?? Let me guess: history or english?
2007-01-12 5:34 AM
in reply to: #650423

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
ecjones_98 - 2007-01-11 10:32 AM

NAME: My name is Eric Jones from Chicago - 37 years old, a little more than 6' tall

Great profile, Eric, and thanks.

I saw your race profile, and wow, you don't mess around: S 660 yds, B 16.8 miles, R 4.3 miles. It sounds like a great course.

By the way, do you know what you get to say after you finish your race? "I'm a triathlete." And then you get to walk around town wearing that race shirt.

I like sprint races. They're fun, usually close to home, and don't last all day, which means you won't be leaving your pregnant wife stranded somewhere for hours. You'll find yourself racked between first timers and serious competitors. Look around and enjoy the experience. See how others set up their stuff. Listen to them discuss the water -- and they will talk and talk about it sometimes, e.g., it's smooth, flat, rough, clear, cloudy, fast, slow, too hot, too cold. I'm looking forward to hearing about your race experience.

And don't worry, you will finish. I'm convinced it's more a mental challenge than a physical one.

Take your bike to a shop, tell the guys you're doing a sprint tri, and talk to them about putting on thin tires. From what I hear, it should make the ride smoother and a little faster. You don't have to do this, by the way, and your hybrid will work just fine as is. I rode one for a lot of races with the knobby tires and I didn't die. But I'm thinking the tire switch will work. My youngest sister wants to do her first sprint tri in September with me, and that's what I'm going to do with her bike. If you try it and hate it, I'll re-think my plan.

Your work-outs good for someone starting out, but I'd look into some training plans. You're only 15 weeks out. It's time to go from haphazard to race-specific training, and the structured bike and swim work-outs will benefit you. Watergirl was just commenting on a race plan book. You might want to ask her some more specific questions. I seem to cut plans from magazines: Triathlete, or Inside Triathlon, which I store away in this cabinet in our home gym and can never find again. Here's what I'm saying -- there are a lot of plans out there. Unfortunately, some will work for you, some won't. You're just going to have to try one out and see where it takes you.

Of course, some folks never do a plan, and there's nothing wrong with that, either. Once you're out of the water, the worst-case scenario is you run out of steam and walk it in.

If you have the money, try a HRM. They start at about $50, and like all things, you can spend as much as you can afford. Some folks love the bells and whistles and beeps -- literally, the thing will beep at you when you stray above or below your designated zone -- and the articles I've read all say it's the best way to train. And the pros wear them, and let's face it, they wouldn't use something that didn't work. But do you need one? Of course not.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of juggling right now: job, toddler son, pregnant wife, upcoming race. Makes you feel alive, doesn't it?

2007-01-12 5:46 AM
in reply to: #651338

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jmtrevejo - 2007-01-11 5:22 PM

Been on the road (I am actually in Southern Pennsylvania...pretty close to the professor) and writing an NIH grant so I have not been able to log any miles but tomorrow I am going for a run and a ride. Sunday I will do the ride as requested but I know that I usually average about 18 miles/ min. I entered my results for the Hyannis Sprint as well if you want to take a look. It was my second race and I did it on my birthday....it was a great way to start out the day and I didn't feel so guilty when I pigged out on sushi and sake that night.

Professor, I have been logging my stuff and looking at yours as well. I notice you get in some good time on the bike. Are you using a trainer or outdoors? Your first swim was pretty good as well at 1:42....I am working to get there. My runs have been slower than usual as I am trying to work in the aerobic zone before pushing the speedwork but we shall see. By the way I had a physical one month ago and checked out OK (sort of weird to be on the other end of a physical....turn your head and cough ahem). I actually gained a little weight swimming but I still think I should be around 185-190 ideally.

I am going to start signing up for races over the weekend. Any good ones in Southern Pennsylvania....my friend lives near Gettysburg and I am going to come visit him and convince him to do a tri as well. He is a big biker and he likes to swim so convincing him to do one more event shouldn't be too hard.

Talk about a great birthday. For my last one, I told my wife all I wanted was about 4 hours to train uninterrupted. She said yes, but then other unexpected issues hedged in on it. Well, there's next year.

I ride on the trainer and outside, depending on the day, time and weather. Since you're in PA, you know it's finally winter here, so from here on out, it will probably be all inside. Speed, by the way, is contingent upon road surface, weather, curves in the road, and how many times I have to pull-over.

I have to get into the pool. Self-confessed slacker where the swim is concerned. Hmm, maybe that will be the group challenge for next week.

For races, go to www.trifind.com, and look in PA. It's a great site. But don't get crazy with your Visa and register for 20 races. Pick 1 or 2, do them, and then look at the rest of the summer.

As for your logs, I have no idea why mine looks how it does and why yours does not. I'm just lucky, I guess.

Questions for you: how are the race plans you can access with your silver membership? Have you started one? Would you recommend the membership upgrade to our team mates?

2007-01-12 5:49 AM
in reply to: #651725

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-12 12:07 AM

The race I picked is on June 19th, but I've been reluctant to sign up due to the fact that there is a 2.5 hour limit.

Give us more details so we can all look up your race: where, race name, website link, etc. (I mean, after all, why just have 1 opinion when you can have 7?)

Edited by prof40 2007-01-12 5:50 AM
2007-01-12 10:15 AM

Sunday, June 17, 2007 ::: Charlotte, North Carolina: Tri Latta Triathlon Day #2
Swim 750 meters, Bike 17 miles, Run 3.1 miles
# Course Info: Swim 750 meters: one loop - lake - 78-82 degrees
# Bike 17 miles: one loop - moderately hilly
# Run 5K: out & back - trail
# More: In 2007 the Tri Latta Triathlon will become a two day event. The race category you choose will determine which day you race.
# Saturday: Elites, Masters Elites, Age Groupers, Clydesdales, Masters Clydesdales, and Athenas.
# Sunday: Novices, Masters Novices, and all Relay Teams
2003 - 2006 Results At: setupevents.com

Race info page:

http://64.38.48.134/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventid=566

The rules seem a bit overwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm new.

Jimbo the Great

2007-01-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: #652076

User image

Jimbo,

I would start with a shorter sprint race which is 400m swim, 10 mile bike and 3.5 mile aprox run.
2007-01-12 9:28 PM
in reply to: #652889

Unfortunatly the only race I can find close to that duration in NC is the rambling rose. It's a woman's only triathlon. I don't think I can run it even if I promise to show up in drag.
2007-01-12 10:26 PM
in reply to: #651796

User image

Regarding the question for the silver membership. What I like about it is the full access to the articles and there are some excellent articles like how to do flip turns. Nice color pictures of core conditioning exercises etc. The silver allows you download the details of the different training regimens into your log so it if you need a little motivation or you don't want to have to think you can follow it. So far I have not been following it exactly although I am going to do some strength trainig 2x/week. I think where it will come in handy is the pre-tri recs which take into account building up and tapering and don't add on more than 10% of effort a week.
2007-01-12 10:33 PM
in reply to: #653178

User image

Jimbo,

I found these below in NC that look like they would be good starters. Starting with a duathalon may not be bad. Whaddya think?

Sunday, April 22, 2007 ::: Greensboro, North Carolina: Rock 'N Trot Off Road Duathlon
Run 3 miles, Bike 10 miles

Sunday, September 16, 2007 ::: Clemmons, North Carolina: Angels Race Sprint Triathlon
Swim 300 meters, Bike 12.4 miles, Run 3.1 miles

Hey I may even see you at one of them as I have family in Greensboro

Edited by jmtrevejo 2007-01-12 10:34 PM
2007-01-13 5:18 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
SATURDAY REVIEW: JANUARY 13:

This is actually the 2nd time I've tried to post this. My first effort, which was pretty good if I say so myself, is lost and now floating somewhere along the ebbs and flows of cyberspace.

I have to say it -- we have a great group here. In no particular order:

1. jmtrevejo: did 2 sprints last year, is an endurance machine, and wants to do an Olympic and maybe a 1/2 IM distance this summer.

2. watergirl77: 5 years tri experience, has done a 1/2 marathon, and is looking at her first Olympic distance on June 17.

3. phoenixrising404: mom of 3, boxes and jumps on her trampoline at 3am, uses music as a soundtrack for her life, and has an indoor tri on March 10 and an outdoor race in June.

4. jeng615: college student, ex-soccer player (which means she's tough), 1st timer, and went out and just ran 4 miles with her boyfriend the other day.

5. BigGirlTri-ing: our 5k princess, lots of bike experience, and is doing her first indoor tri tomorrow.

6. brian10: has lost 200 pounds and is ready for this challenge.

7. Jimbo the Great: as he wonders if he's sane, he's planning on his first race on June 17.

8. Clint: our AU guy, who wants to do a triathlon as a challenge.

9. Eric: like me, he's aiming to hit that almost impossible insurance industry BMI score. He's contemplating his first race in May, and maybe 2 more this summer.

Start logging your efforts, and watch each other's progress.

I need to clarify something I said the other day. I suggested that some of you pick a training plan for your upcoming races, but then I never gave you all the information you need to pick one. So here goes.

If you're out to do just 1 race, and then maybe cross "triathlon" off your list of life challenges, pick a plan that will get you into great shape for your race date. I want you to finish and feel good with your effort. Brag to your family and friends. Experience something that many people will never try.

However, if you're looking at a summer of events, identify a "dream" or an "A" race and pick a plan that will get you geared up, taking into consideration the demands of your life and your ability to train. For example: my goal is to be in good shape by June, but great shape by August or September, when I hope to do a long race. I don't plan on long training hours in the winter months because it's just no fun to be outside in PA in January. Accordingly, I don't schedule my dream race for March. Just like Jen shouldn't schedule hers for Finals week in May, and Eric shouldn't plan his for the same weekend his wife is due in June. Will I do other races this summer? Sure, lots of them (hopefully). But I won't plan on being in peak shape until my "A" race, and I will use others as training sessions instead of going full out. Make sense? There is nothing worse than getting into peak shape too quickly, only to risk injury or burn-out early in the season.

Where do you find a plan? You have to look around. But don't dismiss one just because it makes you do things you find uncomfortable. I guarantee that you will find a plan that is just like what you're doing now. But ask yourself: am I happy with how I'm doing today? Do I need improvement? If so, try something new. And give your body time to develop with your plan. You won't be race ready in 2 weeks.

Ok, with all that said, let's talk about the 2 challenges I set for the week.

First, I want everyone to get medical clearance. I know, you're all healthy and this is just a tiny race you have planned, you'll be fine. I don't care. Just do it.

Second, the 150 miles of combined biking. It must be done on Sunday, Jan 14 -- no exceptions, so no riding on Saturday and then posting it on Sunday (you know who you are!). And no using the idea that it's Sunday in Australia, so my US bike ride on Saturday counts. No no no. Trust me, you'll have other days you can commit, just like I'll have days I cannot.

When you finish your ride, post it here and in your log. And then watch the forum to see what everyone else has done and how close we come to 150.

See you tomorrow.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-13 5:20 AM

2007-01-13 5:38 AM
in reply to: #651725

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-12 12:07 AM

The race I picked is on June 19th, but I've been reluctant to sign up due to the fact that there is a 2.5 hour limit. I just don't know if that is doable with my weight(now 275 on a 6'5" frame). Even if I'm able to drop the 30 lbs I want to it's gonna be a stretch. As far as equipment I'm got everything the YMCA has to offer. The stuff I own is a set of nike frees and a couple of dumbells. I don't even have a bike so I'll have to pick up a second hand bike before any tri I attempt (no reason to shell out for a new one if I don't know what I need yet). Now for my questions.

1. Really, is 2.5 hours reasonable for a first tri when I'm out of shape. I hate to not be allowed to finish if it's my first race. I'm not sure my delicate ego can handle a blow like that.

2. It's an open water swim (that doesn't phase me) and they said wetsuits are not allowed if the water temp is above 75 degrees. Does a swim shirt count or is that a grey area?

3. Am I totally insane for attempting this?

4. Since I work from 6:30am until about 8:00pm on Sunday and the YMCA is closed and I don't have a bike and I'm not really asking for extra credit for accomplishing a task early can I do my bike ride on the Friday prior (if you throw in enough "and"s you'll always get your way. People hate the grammer so much they just say, "whatever")?

Thanks,
Jimbo the Great

Well, here's what you do if you're worried about your time limits. Sit down with a piece of paper and add yours up, e.g.: swim 50 minutes, bike 1:15, run 45.. = 2:50. If you think you can knock that down, go for it. But I have to say, I'd be stressed enough about going into my first race, and dealing with transitions, that I wouldn't choose one if I didn't think I'd make the cut-offs. Who wants a DNF (did not finish) for their first time out?

Do you have to buy a bike? Don't have a mountain bike in the garage somewhere? Or a friend willing to let you borrow theirs? Try not to spend money until after you do your first race. However, you will need a helmet.

I don't know what a swim shirt is. Do you mean a tri-top? Or a t-shirt? Either are probably fine. Be prepared for chilly water temperatures, even in June.

Totally insane? Nope. Slightly warped? Yep. Fun, isn't it?

2007-01-13 5:47 AM
in reply to: #651742

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-12 12:34 AM

And they all said the same thing--you won't believe how FAST your body will improve with regular effort. One day you run your first mile without collapsing, and very soon, you find you can run 8 or 9 miles and next thing, you are signed up for a half marathon, or a triathlon. I used to weigh 198. It took about 18 months, but today I'm at 140 (5'7") and I just bought my first wetsuit--it was a size small-medium! And, I look pretty athletic in it!

You can do it in less than 2.5 hours. How many miles bike and run is it? You have half a year to work up to it! Just do it!!! I'll be your cheerleader We all will!

First, kudos to anyone who looks good in a wetsuit. If you've tried one on, you know what I mean.

Second, to Jim: phoenix is right, 5 months is a lot of training time. And you don't have to sign up now -- you can wait to April after you've logged some mileage. So I'm with her, maybe you should give this race a go!
2007-01-13 5:53 AM
in reply to: #651749

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-12 12:56 AM

I did buy a bike trainer and it will be arriving Tuesday so I will have no excuse next week ! However, I did one strength training session this morning!

Good good good. Get that trainer set up and start spinning.

I lifted 2x. Very light, little reps, but now I know where the gym is. I'll keep it up if you will.

2007-01-13 6:02 AM
in reply to: #652076

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-12 11:15 AM

Sunday, June 17, 2007 ::: Charlotte, North Carolina: Tri Latta Triathlon Day #2
Swim 750 meters, Bike 17 miles, Run 3.1 miles
# Course Info: Swim 750 meters: one loop - lake - 78-82 degrees
# Bike 17 miles: one loop - moderately hilly
# Run 5K: out & back - trail
# More: In 2007 the Tri Latta Triathlon will become a two day event. The race category you choose will determine which day you race.
# Saturday: Elites, Masters Elites, Age Groupers, Clydesdales, Masters Clydesdales, and Athenas.
# Sunday: Novices, Masters Novices, and all Relay Teams
2003 - 2006 Results At: setupevents.com

Race info page:

http://64.38.48.134/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventid=566

The rules seem a bit overwhelming. Maybe it's because I'm new.

Jimbo the Great

Ah, I should have read this first. That water is going to feel good. You should be fine. What's the pool temp at the Y? (You do realize that this is about a 1/2 mile swim, right?)

Interesting race format spread over 2 days. Certainly gives you some registration options.

Is this venue near your house? Can you do the course in training? That would make you feel much more confident on the race morning.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72