BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-02-04 10:59 AM
in reply to: #658479

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Matchman's Group - FULL!

Bad bad week, business hassles taking up far too much time. Still I hit them head on and here we are again. Just 2 treadmills and a swim last week, ok ok I know I’m slacking, somebody slap me! Back to it this week, swim is getting better (needed to post some good news)!

Have a crazy week guys (and Lady D) hope you’re training harder then me!

2007-02-04 3:10 PM
in reply to: #678695

User image

Veteran
I'm back...

The doctor did some cutting/stitching on my back and said no physical activity for 5-7 days. I jumped on the bike today and did a slow 15 miles with no problem, so he'll never know I started early. No swimming until it's completely healed, so it's biking/running for the next week or two.
2007-02-04 7:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I had an AWESOME run yesterday 13.1 I only had 12 on the schedule, but I missed my 20 miler the week before due to my heel problems and flu. I am only 13 days from my next marathon!!! I am feeling ready, in spite of not getting my 20 miler in. I did a marathon in October, so I do have some miles built up.

I went on a bike ride today. Would have been 25 miles but I had a flat at about 15. I changed it and everything was ok for about 5more miles then I noticed it a bit low. I pumped it up a few more times and finally called my wonderful wife to come and pick me up. I was still about 3 miles from home and walking in bike shoes is the worst. I need to get better at changing tires or I am going to DNF simply due to bad tire changing skillz.

OK, swim tomorrow, Wed and Fri. Run Tues, Thur and Sat and another bike Sunday (if I get my tire changing better.

Have a great week guys (and gal). Train hard! (or not depending on Dr's orders)

Stephen
2007-02-04 7:44 PM
in reply to: #679018

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on the great run!
2007-02-05 4:41 AM
in reply to: #679018

User image

New user

Melbourne, Australia

Great work on the run Stephen and good luck for the lead up to the marathon!

Aaron.

2007-02-06 12:02 PM
in reply to: #679227

User image

Veteran
Hey Aaron,

What's the weather like down in your part of the hemisphere that you're running outside? Today it's 16 degress with 15-20 mph winds. It's going to be a trainer or treadmill evening.

Oh, and if it's sunny and warm, send some our way!

Jon

2007-02-06 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Time to crank out some questions and get to know each other a little better.

Please don't feel obligated to answer the questions, I'm just trying to get some more dialogue started.

What type of bike(s) do you ride?

What's your longest bike ride?

What's your longest run?
2007-02-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: #681228

User image

Extreme Veteran
gonnatrione - 2007-02-06 11:02 AM

Hey Aaron,

What's the weather like down in your part of the hemisphere that you're running outside? Today it's 16 degress with 15-20 mph winds. It's going to be a trainer or treadmill evening.

Oh, and if it's sunny and warm, send some our way!

Jon

Jon,

I don't know what Aaron's weather is like, but it's mid-60's here in AZ with the sun shining brightly at the moment. Feel free to come help yourself to some sun. We'll share

This morning was great, a bit chilly for a run, but I was soon warm enough that I almost took my cotton gloves off. The stars were shining brightly and there was almost no one out at all. Perfect running. It was supposed to be an "easy" or recovery run (@11-12 mpm for me) but i ended up at about 10:30 and felt like I was walking. I love runs like that.

Stephen
2007-02-06 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I grew up in Mesa, AZ and my parents are still there. I spoke with them last night and they said the same thing!

The valley has beautiful falls, winters and springs, but the summers are brutal.

How about the old "but it's a dry heat"? I always tell everyone, "so's an oven".

If I had the choice, I'd be in Arizona.

2007-02-06 12:50 PM
in reply to: #681287

User image

Veteran
gonnatrione - 2007-02-06 12:32 PM

Please don't feel obligated to answer the questions, I'm just trying to get some more dialogue started.

What type of bike(s) do you ride? - "El Cheapo" Trek 4500 Mountain Bike

What's your longest bike ride? - 38 miles

What's your longest run? - 10k "Run For Liberty - Phoenix" back in 1986/87

2007-02-06 1:28 PM

User image

Regular
BRRRRR - minus 3 oustide and icy.......

What type of bike(s) do you ride? - Cannondale R900

What's your longest bike ride? - 100 miles

What's your longest run? - 15 miles

Need some warmth!

2007-02-06 1:58 PM
in reply to: #681321

User image

Extreme Veteran
gonnatrione - 2007-02-06 12:32 PM

Great idea!

What type of bike(s) do you ride? - "El Cheapo" Scattante 550

What's your longest bike ride? - ~35 miles with a group (so some drafting was involved

What's your longest run? - 26.2 miles (Twin Cities Marathon October 2006)

Stephen
2007-02-06 2:07 PM

User image

What type of bike(s) do you ride? - actually... this is where i can use some help... im looking to get a bike (for now i train in spinning classes)... i saw a diamond back bike for a reasonable price.. any input?

What's your longest bike ride? not long enough...

What's your longest run? I've never competed in really long runs... ive done plenty of 5ks, etc, but im looking for a half marathoner for the summer

I have a few questions ide like to add so that I can get to know everyone:

Name:
City, State:
Why Triathlons?:
Favorite Workout:
Favorite Healthy Meal:

No obligations!

Happy training!
2007-02-06 2:22 PM
in reply to: #681502

User image

Extreme Veteran
danielleaw - 2007-02-06 1:07 PM

What type of bike(s) do you ride? - actually... this is where i can use some help... im looking to get a bike (for now i train in spinning classes)... i saw a diamond back bike for a reasonable price.. any input?

www.performancebike.com is where I got mine. I bought it a year ago this month and have been very happy with it. It is a road bike, but I'll be putting aerobars on it soon. I got it as a model-year closeout at $600 ($800 in their local store, but online it was cheaper and they gave me that price). it is the lightest bike I have ever owned (that's not saying much tho, but it is pretty light, even comparing to other midrange bikes at group rides) It has Shimano 105 shifters which I was told are "entry-level competition" which is a step up from "entry-level". I got clipless pedals, shoes and some other accessories for under $800 all together. I was and am satisfied with that.

I have a few questions i'd like to add so that I can get to know everyone:

Name: Stephen Andert

City, State: Maricopa, AZ USA (better include country since we are an international group)

Why Triathlons?: Always liked biking and swimming, so when I discovered that I actually DID like running about a year ago, triathlon was a natural fit.

Favorite Workout: 8-10 mile tempo run a bit faster than "easy". Or maybe a new long run, always fun to walk in to work and say "20 miles on Saturday, haw way your weekend?"

Favorite Healthy Meal: EL Fudge cookies. Oops, I just read favorite. Healthy...hmmm....probably salmon with rice and steamed veggie mix heavy on the carrots and green beans.

And I'll add Favorite Snack (healthy or not): cookies (see above)
2007-02-06 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
City, State: - Start with country! England, city called Hull, in east Yorkshire, 20 miles from the coast

Why Triathlons?: - Done loads of running races, just want to move up and challenge myself, I’ve had a fasination with them for a long time, now I need to do them!

Favorite Workout: - Got to be a nice long run in the early morning summer sun before the world is awake and a long bike ride in the hills and country lanes nearby.

Favorite Healthy Meal: pollo cacciatore, I cook the best one in Europe, pop in and try one when ur next passing!

Have a crazy day folks!
2007-02-06 5:32 PM

New user
Wow ok, lots of questions to answer

Bike - ??? I need to get one!

Longest Ride - Gym bikes dont count...

Longest Run - I did this in 2003, was a 10k in NYC. Longest most recently? 3.15 miles. Long hard road out of hell...

Name - Pete
Location - Santa Monica, CA (USA)
Favorite Healthy Food - Chicken breast, marinated/spiced with anything

Why? I was working out in a gym doing some unmotivated cardio/lifting for the past few months and wanted a goal. That and my wedding (9/1/2007) seemed like good reasons to find something new to do and triathlon seemed like a great idea.

2007-02-06 5:38 PM
in reply to: #681908

User image

Extreme Veteran
PJOinSM - 2007-02-06 4:32 PM

my wedding (9/1/2007).

Congrats! September's a great month for weddings. This Sept will be my 17th anniversary.
2007-02-06 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Name: Jon
City, State: State of confusion, really! Ok, Staunton, Virginia
Why Triathlons?: I like a challenge
Favorite Workout: cycling
Favorite Healthy Meal: Angel hair pasta mixed with cubed chicken breast and broccoli florets topped with a little freshly grated parmesan cheese. Is that healthy?

Edited by gonnatrione 2007-02-06 6:18 PM
2007-02-06 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
danielleaw - 2007-02-06 2:07 PM

Post that question in the "Triathlon Talk" forum and you'll get some honest opinions, and some great guidance. I've read numerous posts from people about bike suggestions, and most of the time you'll get the good and the bad, along with suggestions for bikes in a comparable price range.

Sorry, I can't help. I've had "El Cheapo" for 3-4 years - promotional gift from my last job.
2007-02-07 9:12 AM

User image

Post that question in the "Triathlon Talk" forum and you'll get some honest opinions, and some great guidance. I've read numerous posts from people about bike suggestions, and most of the time you'll get the good and the bad, along with suggestions for bikes in a comparable price range.

Sorry, I can't help. I've had "El Cheapo" for 3-4 years - promotional gift from my last job.

I really appreciate the help!!! I'll be sure to do that.... thanks!

2007-02-07 9:25 AM

User image

Oh also... any input on this would be great. I'm going to Italy for 7 days (it kind of just happened.. my cousin is studying abroad there, so all i need to do is buy the ticket and i have a place to stay in rome!)... I'm just nervous about not working out as much, and coming back fat and out of shape. I'm very careful about what I eat, but I'm nervous I won't be able to be as picky as I'de like.

Reassure me... Give me advice.... Anything

2007-02-07 12:15 PM

New user
my experience has been that you walk a TON in Italy/most european cities. Do not worry about the food too much as it is still probably healthier than its American counterpart (portion sizes tend to be smaller as well).

Enjoy Rome, go for a run one day if you are familar with the territory and while you are there, watch your purse! Pick-pockets do run around in that area
2007-02-07 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Lady D

Just go and enjoy it, 7 days won't make much difference at all, and I doubt you’ll be sat on the coach for the duration. It takes at least 2 weeks for noticeable fitness loss and after 3 weeks your aerobic capacity will reduce by about 8%, time to fatigue (ie when you run out of energy) by about 10%. Divide those by 3, take a bit off as you’ll be about and about and now you can hopefully relax and enjoy the trip!!
2007-02-07 12:33 PM

User image

Neil & Pete (hopefully I got your names correct?):

You guys are the best! Thanks!

And thanks for the pick-pocket advise... my parents are both immigrants from Poland, and I studied at a University there in Krakow for a summer. I learned a LOT of common sense smarts while there, including things like pick-pocketing... Thank goodness it never happened to me, but I know people it did happen to.

Happy training!
2007-02-08 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a great 5 mile run this am. The middle 3 were tempo @ about 9 mm's. About 3.5 in to the run, I had to dig deep to keep the pace for the last .5 of tempo, but then I had to work to slow back down when it came to the cool down as I was still in the 9's at first.

I asked about PRO's and CON's about group rides vs. solo a while back. I think this all seems to be common sense, but I found this site: http://www.triathletediva.com/and the Jan 29th entry seems appropriate for the topic and will help clarify the advantages and disadvantages of each. In my case, it bugs me that I have not had a flat on a group ride so I could get someone to watch me and say "AHA!, that's what you're doing wrong".

Have great runs, rides, swims and rests/recoveries folks.

Stephen
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matchman's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 8