Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-02-05 2:40 PM
in reply to: #663877

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: Counselor's Group - FULL

That is good info Dan.  I just got a new pair of shoes a couple of weeks ago.  I thought I still had some miles left in my current pair, but the guy at the shoe store pointed out a where the cushioning was worn out.

BTW Dan, where do you get your shoes?

2007-02-08 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Where did Counselor go? Our group needs a mentor
2007-02-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #683819

I agree!
Although we have gotten some nice answeres...
2007-02-08 12:28 PM

New user
Maybe for now we can just be a support group for each other?

How is everyone's training going?
I keep waking up in the middle of the night with all of muscles tense. Not sure if it's from a lack of stretching or too much stress
2007-02-08 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
I'm really doing well, I've completed my first week of training and the only soreness is from the damn saddles at spin class. I've been tracking my training in the logs; very helpful.

Q - have you tried yoga? I do a 30-min session before my nightly workouts and have had minimal tightness. I also have the luxury of a hot tub at the health club, so I have a 5min soak before and after my swims...seems to help.

I'm really looking forward to getting my bike out on the road and hitting the street for some jogging. I'm kind of a whimp when it comes to the cold.

Anyone else?
2007-02-08 12:57 PM
in reply to: #684114

New user
re: yoga. Unfortunately I just do not have time to add 30 or so minutes to my workout. I am going to try to add some before bed, and increase stretching after working out. As it is with swimming right now, I am rushing to the pool and home again to make it to class on time. I bike to the pool though, so that transition should be well practiced!

2007-02-08 1:13 PM
in reply to: #684114

VeganMan - 2007-02-08 12:33 PM

I'm really doing well, I've completed my first week of training and the only soreness is from the damn saddles at spin class. I've been tracking my training in the logs; very helpful.

Q - have you tried yoga? I do a 30-min session before my nightly workouts and have had minimal tightness. I also have the luxury of a hot tub at the health club, so I have a 5min soak before and after my swims...seems to help.

I'm really looking forward to getting my bike out on the road and hitting the street for some jogging. I'm kind of a whimp when it comes to the cold.

Anyone else?

I am having a hard time even thinking about getting into a pool! I know its heated and everything, but its the getting back out that I just cant bring myself to do! Havent taken a bike outside for the same reason (although I do spin)...but will run out in the cold...??? I hope I dont wait to long to bite the bullet for swim though...I'd hate for that part to slow me down to much!
2007-02-08 2:22 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I'm not sure where everyone's from but other than the odd run its all but unsafe to do much of any activity outside here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Its been around -20C (-4F) daily here with coldest temperatures hitting around -40C (-40F). Needless to say outdoor training is a few months away but I've been making the best of my resources. I'm fortunate enough to have access to the pool and fitness centres at my University. Staring at a wall while on the bike or running isn't quite the same as catching some scenery while racing by but at least when April rolls around I know I'll be training solidly just for the change more than the desire to bike or run! I figure its all how you think about it (or don't think about it). I look at what I've accomplished and not how much it sucks to do it indoors. As for spring.... well I've got a half marathon at the end of May... hopefully the snow will be thawed by then and I can get some solid pavement exercise in!
2007-02-08 3:10 PM
in reply to: #684297

New user
Meech - 2007-02-08 2:22 PM

I'm not sure where everyone's from but other than the odd run its all but unsafe to do much of any activity outside here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Its been around -20C (-4F) daily here with coldest temperatures hitting around -40C (-40F). Needless to say outdoor training is a few months away but I've been making the best of my resources. I'm fortunate enough to have access to the pool and fitness centres at my University. Staring at a wall while on the bike or running isn't quite the same as catching some scenery while racing by but at least when April rolls around I know I'll be training solidly just for the change more than the desire to bike or run! I figure its all how you think about it (or don't think about it). I look at what I've accomplished and not how much it sucks to do it indoors. As for spring.... well I've got a half marathon at the end of May... hopefully the snow will be thawed by then and I can get some solid pavement exercise in!

ha. it was like 70F yesterday when I went running.
wooo Texas!
2007-02-08 4:37 PM
in reply to: #684297

User image

Champion
Gold member

Meech, sounds like we both have similiar climates...it's tought to do any extended workouts because they just get so boring indoors.  In my case the kids come with so I only have about an hour.

Like you, it will be about another 2-3 months until full outdoor activity happens, so I'm just using this time to stay 'loosened up' at the gym...20 minutes swimming and 20 minutes running or 20-30 minutes biking...I figure this will carry me until it get's warm to start building again.

So keep staring at the wall in the meantime!

amyinsr - start swimming!  In my opinion, one can let the bike lapse during the winter months and regain volume quickly...I don't find that to be the case for swimming or running-especially for Oly and Oly+ distance races as one has to be pretty strict on building-up volume for those.

If there is a hot-tub where your pool is, that can be some good motivation to get a swim in.

2007-02-09 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Hi all!  Haven't been around the last few days.  My whole family has been battling the flu.  Uuggh. 

Same weather issues here in Missouri this winter.  The last 2 winters were very mild any if I could have ran outside the entire winter and biked outside most of it.  Wouldn't you know, I got interested in Triathlon last summer and this winter it has been very cold and we have had snow and two ice storms.  To combat boredom on the trainer, I set it up in front of our bedroom TV and watch DVR'd stuff that my fam doesn't enjoy.

I'm not very flexible, so I decided to give yoga a try.  Just got "Flexible Warrior" in the mail yesterday.  I've seen several people comment about the benefits of adding yoga to their training and how they think it has helped them avoid injury.

2007-02-09 8:02 AM
in reply to: #684377

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

"ha. it was like 70F yesterday when I went running. wooo Texas!"

While I was sick it was 63 one day and low 30's the next.  Missouri weather?

Edited by run joe run 2007-02-09 8:03 AM
2007-02-10 6:00 PM

New user
I just got back from running in a 5K! My chip time was 37:37:90, which is way faster than my time from December (42 minutes). I was able to run almost the whole thing. I think I only walked for about 5 minutes.

The only problem is now I've screwed up my training schedule, because tomorrow is supposed to be the long run day, and today was supposed to be a medium bike and swim. But I'll figure something out. People need to have more 5Ks on Sunday.
2007-02-11 10:34 AM
in reply to: #686473

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Hey! Congrats quaskye! Way to go on your race and on your improved time! As for your training schedule I wouldn't worry too much... make sure you rest to avoid injury. There are plenty of articles on this in the articles section of the site. I know that sometimes a day off can be more beneficial than a day training. Again, Congratulations!
2007-02-11 7:09 PM

Hi All, Hope your weekend was great! We had our first beautiful day in a while today...so took advantage of it!
Want you all to know that I have my first "ever" race next weekend...its a 4 man relay...we each do 2.75 miles...thought this would be a perfect race/ distance to acclimate me for "racing".
I did a pre run this morning and ran the course in 27 minutes! Not to bad...I'm not looking to place (or even come close), but am excited for the experience!
2007-02-11 8:28 PM
in reply to: #686473

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

quaskye - 2007-02-10 6:00 PM I just got back from running in a 5K! My chip time was 37:37:90, which is way faster than my time from December (42 minutes). I was able to run almost the whole thing. I think I only walked for about 5 minutes. The only problem is now I've screwed up my training schedule, because tomorrow is supposed to be the long run day, and today was supposed to be a medium bike and swim. But I'll figure something out. People need to have more 5Ks on Sunday.
Nice job!  It sounds like you had fun.

My two cents:  First, everything I've read regarding schedule says if you miss a day dont' try to make it up just stick to the schedule.  Secondly, and more importantly, don't neglect rest.  The body rebuilds during rest.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Edited by run joe run 2007-02-11 8:30 PM

2007-02-11 8:33 PM
in reply to: #687096

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

amyinsr - 2007-02-11 7:09 PM Hi All, Hope your weekend was great! We had our first beautiful day in a while today...so took advantage of it! Want you all to know that I have my first "ever" race next weekend...its a 4 man relay...we each do 2.75 miles...thought this would be a perfect race/ distance to acclimate me for "racing". I did a pre run this morning and ran the course in 27 minutes! Not to bad...I'm not looking to place (or even come close), but am excited for the experience!
This does sound like a good race.  Hope you have a good time and don't forget to do a Race Report.  It's fun to go back and read them later.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

2007-02-11 9:07 PM
in reply to: #687166

New user
run joe run - 2007-02-11 8:28 PM

Nice job! It sounds like you had fun.

My two cents: First, everything I've read regarding schedule says if you miss a day dont' try to make it up just stick to the schedule. Secondly, and more importantly, don't neglect rest. The body rebuilds during rest.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

Thanks, I basically ended up missing ALL of my medium stuff this week, but I figure that might be ok to happen once every couple months. Luckily for March I found a 5K that is on Sunday, already my long run day. (one of my New Years resolutions was to do a 5K every month)
2007-02-13 10:44 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Alright... so who's in need of a boost?

I've been having a brutal time with the training... I haven't done anything since last Thursday... and even though last week was the first week I've managed to get one workout of each sport in months I don't feel any better because I haven't come even close to keeping it up.

I was doing soooo well for a while there and I kinda fell apart. I'm a part of the February bike/run challenge in the Challenge Me! forum and I'm certainly starting to let my team down.

Alright... enough of that... more of a confession than anything. Tomorrow's a new day and I hope to get at least a short workout in.

Good luck to all and for anyone else that's in a slump... I feel you... and to everyone else who's doing amazing... keep it up!
2007-02-13 10:53 PM
in reply to: #689977

Meech - 2007-02-13 10:44 PM

I've been having a brutal time with the training... I haven't done anything since last Thursday... and even though last week was the first week I've managed to get one workout of each sport in months I don't feel any better because I haven't come even close to keeping it up.

I was doing soooo well for a while there and I kinda fell apart. I'm a part of the February bike/run challenge in the Challenge Me! forum and I'm certainly starting to let my team down.

Alright... enough of that... more of a confession than anything. Tomorrow's a new day and I hope to get at least a short workout in.

Good luck to all and for anyone else that's in a slump... I feel you... and to everyone else who's doing amazing... keep it up!

Hang in there Meech! We've all been there...you can only do your best. Maybe you need a little break. Thats ok too!
2007-02-13 11:39 PM
in reply to: #689977

New user
Meech - 2007-02-13 10:44 PM

Don't feel bad about it, yesterdays gone, but every day is a new day! I took 2 extra days off last week, and felt much better for it.

Right now, I am kind of in limbo with my bike. I'm riding a HEAVY mountain bike with tons of problems (basically free from a friend-of-a-friend's garage). The chain has been falling off, shifting is terrible and sometimes happens on its own, and now the seat has jiggled lose and tilts forward and back. This started happening 5 miles into a 10 mile ride, of course, and I had to ride home standing up! I'm probably going to take a wrench to the seat for the rest of the week. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll get my hands on my mom's bike, which is lighter and in better condition. So that's my grief for the week

oh, on the good side, in my long swim on Monday, I felt terrible and awkward the entire time, but had my fastest time yet and swam almost the entire distance for the sprint tri (just one lap short)

2007-02-14 3:04 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Hey good for you quaskye! I love it when the workouts that feel super awkward turn out to be the best!

As far as your bike goes I'd also recommend spending 10 bucks on a new chain. Other than that you've got the right idea in borrowing and making due. I think most would agree its far smarter to get used to the sport and decide whether or not you're going to stick with it before sinking some cold hard cash into a nice fancy bike.

Oh yeah... and I broke the slump with a short bike today... only a half hour in the saddle but I did hard intervals and it made me sweat... long or short, todays hard work felt good and that's what really counts to me!

2007-02-14 5:42 PM

hey everyone!
got into the pool for the first time today (since last summer anyway)...kind of a sissy when it comes to the cold and water...burrrr...anyway, was georgeous today, so took the plunge!
Yeah, and considereing that I havent been swimming in eons, I had to swim WAY TO FAR today...my poor arms are going to fall off!
yeah, well, serves me right!
2007-02-14 6:06 PM
in reply to: #690834

New user
Meech - 2007-02-14 3:04 PM
As far as your bike goes I'd also recommend spending 10 bucks on a new chain. Other than that you've got the right idea in borrowing and making due. I think most would agree its far smarter to get used to the sport and decide whether or not you're going to stick with it before sinking some cold hard cash into a nice fancy bike.

I've heard that right after the main triathlon here it's easy to find cheap nearly-new road bikes
2007-02-18 8:30 PM

Hey Everyone!
Did my very first race today!
Wanted to post it, but was kind of clueless, any help would be greatly appreciated.
In the meantime, I will tell you all about it!
It was a 4 person relay, each leg was 2.75 miles...Very low key (absolutely best first race experience...EVER!). Twenty-Seven teams total, some all women, some all men, and lots co-ed. I kept thinking I should be more nervous than I was...but I went out with the attitude that this was just my first race...experience was what I was after.
The first of the racers were coming in after 15 minutes...yeah, someday, at least in my dreams I'll make that kind of time...but our first runner came in at 24 min, second at 27, and then me! I was very happy with my time of 25 minutes on the nose! woohoo...
The teams were divided by age, and our group actually came in 1st for our "combined" ages!
So not only do I have an awesome memory, I have a cute little blue ribbon too!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Counselor's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 8