BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-05-20 6:56 PM
in reply to: #808607

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - OPEN - ROOM FOR MORE !!

I'd like to hear more about your training routine, your goals, etc.  If you have any particular questions or areas you want to focus on, that that will be great too.

Dan

Hey Dan,

I have been putting in 400-600 min/week as you can see from my log.  Planning on doing Sprints this season, maybe the LA tri Olympic, and some late season Xterra or other off-road races.  Might be doing some distance swims too. 

As I mentioned I work from home so I'm pretty flexible and try to train at least 6 days/week.  I tend to do at least a brick a week of some sort.  I like to swim from La Jolla Shores over to the Cove once a week or some other OW swim, and swim with a coach in Oceanside at my gym 1-2 times/week.  I do a once a week group ride with the Swami's club out of Carlsbad on Thursday AM's.  I spend most of my run time at a slower pace running with my wife who's just running recreationally, so we're between 10 and 12 mintues/mile.  My PR for a 5k is around 7:30 min/mile.  

That's kind of it in a nutshell.... let me know if you want me to go deeper into detail about anything.

2007-05-20 7:08 PM
in reply to: #808819

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-05-20 4:43 PM Hi everyone! Did the Encinitas Sprint today! BIG waves, but (thanks to Danny) no problems at all, felt great. Got a little tumbled in the surf on the way in, but happy with my swim. First bike loop I felt like I was FLYING! Passing peole all over the place, I was on fire. Next bike loop ran into a little trouble -not only a flat but a REAR FLAT! Ended up taking the whole wheel off, changing the tube, and sticking it back on (man, those wheels are tough to pump up with that little pump!). Covered in black grease, I began the run - felt good although I am not a speedy runner. All in all, a great day. I wasn't worn out after, either. I guess that training really worked! Hope NIkki did great, too!

Carol,  I am SO happy to hear that the swim went well for you.  I looked for you after the race, but missed you.  Those were some CRAZY waves today! Excellent job !!!!!!!

Also, Nikki did great on the swim too!!   Woo-Hoo!!  You guys are both awesome!!

Unfortunately there were alot of people who did not finish the swim.  That included people who had raced previously (I heard one lady who was heading back in say she had recently completed a Half Ironman).  I think open water swimming plus waves/current are a huge shock if you're not ready for it.

I swam with two different ladies on the course, and they both finished.  The second one had flown in from DC to do the race (her 1st).  She was the last one out of the water, but she made it.  It was pretty cool.

2007-05-20 9:27 PM
in reply to: #808819

User image

Veteran
Whoohoo! Well done.

Trish
2007-05-21 9:35 AM
in reply to: #808826

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-05-20 4:49 PM  I flew on the bike with an average of 23.3mph,

Bubba,

Congrats on finishing the race in great time!!   23.3 mph avg on the bike is SMOKIN'   !!!   Way to go!!

2007-05-21 11:45 AM
in reply to: #800275

Regular
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi All!

First Congrats to Carol and Bubba for doing so well yesterday and congrats to Danny for getting two swimmers through that surf, not an easy task. Actually I guess you got four swimmers through including all the help and extra time you spent with Carol and me!

I think I did pretty well on the swim as I didn't end up half way down the beach in the current and (according to my cheering squad) I was towards the front of my wave in exiting the water. (Thanks again Danny!!!).

My bike was amusing as I seemed to be one of two people on a mountian bike (knobby tires and all). My ride was filled with lots of "On your Left" and "Come on mountain bike you're doing great!" as people whized by me. I was pretty amazed at how encouraging the cyclists were as I putzed along.

The run was alright, my legs felt like lead for the majority of the course and I started to get into the groove just as I turned the final corner to "sprint" through the finish line. But all in all It was a great first tri! I had a lot of fun and was amazed at how many first timers I met. It was nice to know I wasn't alone!

Thanks for all the encouragement from the group and I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures!

Nikki
2007-05-21 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
Great job Nikki!  Congratulations on your first Tri! 

2007-05-21 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hey Bubba and NIkki, awesome job racing! Did you see me on the bike course? I was on the side of the road, 1/2 way between the turn-around and the transistion area, changing my REAR FLAT! Such a bummer, but I am pretty happy with myself for fixing it. Had a bit of an ugly moment when I couldn't figure out how to get the chain back on (and I forgot to re-engage the brake) but all is well. Oh, Bubba all you probably saw was a blur because you were goin' so FAST!!!

Carol
2007-05-21 7:35 PM

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Hey danny,

If you are still taking people I would like to join the group. I am 41 and started getting interested in triathlons when my wife did one 3 years ago. My son, started doing the kid tri's then, and this year the three of us did a team triathlon in Durango. I decided to start training this year when I did the Atomic Man Dualthon with my son and he beat me. This was really bad because he is 8 years old (but really fast).

So far I have done the Atomic Man Dualthon and the running leg of the Tri the Rim in Durango.

I am married with an 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. I work as a nuclear engineer at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I have started training, but I am having trouble finding the time to be consistent, becasue along with a full time job, my wife and I also own a hotel and two restaurants, and I like to coach sports for my son. But I am committed to getting better. Right now Iam doing the couch to Sprint Program.

I am about 202 and 6' 1". That is about 15 pounds lighter than I was 5 months ago, but I could stand to get down to 185.

Ron

2007-05-21 8:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
Hi, im interested in joining up if you still have room in your group! Im a 20 year old soon to be junior at Marquette university studying exercise science and physical therapy. I read lance armstrongs biography around christmas and decided that i wanted to start doing endurance competitions so since january i have been training for my first triathlon which is on june 9th! I love running and biking but the swimming part is a little rough for me lol. my goal is to complete this first sprint triathlon on the 9th and then do an olympic in july and hopefully a HIM in august or september and then IM wisconsin sept of 08. i would appreciate any help youd be willing to give me!
Thanks
-Josh
2007-05-22 12:29 AM

User image

Regular

The Encinitas results have been posted online here: http://www.y-events.com/07encinitas.htm

Ended up 21/59 in my AG, 131/606 Overall. I wish they had the splits on each leg of the race...that's the point of the chip timing right? Kind of frustrated, I was counting on those splits to help me figure out my run/swim times...hopefully they'll update it later.

Great job to everyone who participated.

Edited by bubba76819 2007-05-22 12:35 AM
2007-05-22 8:56 AM
in reply to: #810832

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rselvage - 2007-05-21 5:35 PM Hey danny, If you are still taking people I would like to join the group. I am 41 and started getting interested in triathlons when my wife did one 3 years ago. My son, started doing the kid tri's then, and this year the three of us did a team triathlon in Durango. I decided to start training this year when I did the Atomic Man Dualthon with my son and he beat me. This was really bad because he is 8 years old (but really fast). So far I have done the Atomic Man Dualthon and the running leg of the Tri the Rim in Durango. I am married with an 8 year old son and a 6 year old daughter. I work as a nuclear engineer at Los Alamos National Laboratory. I have started training, but I am having trouble finding the time to be consistent, becasue along with a full time job, my wife and I also own a hotel and two restaurants, and I like to coach sports for my son. But I am committed to getting better. Right now Iam doing the couch to Sprint Program. I am about 202 and 6' 1". That is about 15 pounds lighter than I was 5 months ago, but I could stand to get down to 185. Ron

Hi Ron,

Welcome to the group!  Glad to have you here...we have a good mix of people and we're already having a good time!

Those pesky 8 year olds....who do they think they are showing up their Dad?????     That's awesome that your able to race with your son....that's good stuff.

I love the Durango area.  We camped in Pagosa Springs about 10 years ago.  It was gorgeous.  I'd love to visit there again (and also Ourey). One thing I noticed is that at 8500 feet, I couldn't seem to get a good cleansing breath.  Is that an issue for you at all?

Anyhow, it looks like with your busy schedule (family, job, training, juggle a hotel and 2 restaurants) that you could give Courtney a run for her money for the crazy schedule award !!!  The sad thing is, I know what this is like, as my schedule has been known to go completely bezerk also.   Finding a fair balance is almost impossible when this happens, and the first thing to go is often the training.  That's ok, it usually should be the 1st to go (even if we don't like it). 

A couple of things to keep in mind when it gets hectic:

- if you're following a plan and you get behind...don't double up and try to make up the missed workouts.  Let them go!  Focus on jumping back in on your plan, not overdoing by doubling up, and then having quality workouts.

- don't stress if your schedule dosn't allow you to follow the plan exactly.  Do what you can, when you can.  Otherwise, you start getting a major guilt complex and the whole thing turns into work.  I think you have enough of that already.  Having said that, don't be a slacker, but don't beat yourself up either.  You need to work hard, but as I said maintain a healthy balance.

I look forward to working with you and helping anyway I can.

Danny

Edited by dhyte 2007-05-22 8:57 AM

2007-05-22 9:19 AM
in reply to: #810908

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

mutri - 2007-05-21 6:38 PM Hi, im interested in joining up if you still have room in your group! Im a 20 year old soon to be junior at Marquette university studying exercise science and physical therapy. I read lance armstrongs biography around christmas and decided that i wanted to start doing endurance competitions so since january i have been training for my first triathlon which is on june 9th! I love running and biking but the swimming part is a little rough for me lol. my goal is to complete this first sprint triathlon on the 9th and then do an olympic in july and hopefully a HIM in august or september and then IM wisconsin sept of 08. i would appreciate any help youd be willing to give me! Thanks -Josh
\

Hi Josh,

Welcome!  Sounds like you have a good plan to build towards your 1st IM.

One thing I would suggest right off the bat is:  try to check out IM Wisconsin (also know as IM MOO) in person this year.  Even better, volunteer to work as a catcher at the finish line.  Register early to volunteer, as it is a coveted volunteer role.  Absolutely NOTHING will get you more pumped and motivated to work towards your IM goal.  It is awesome watching not only the elite finish in record time (usually around 8 hours), but also watching the athletes who barely finish before the Midnight cutoff, and getting caught up in the emotion and excitement of it all.  I'm telling ya, it will change your life!

I see you are doing Donkey's Stampeed at Elk Lake for your 1st race.  I see on your Log that your goal is to place for your AG!  Awesome.  Let's talk about your plan of attack.  I'd like to find out more from you regarding what your training paces are, versus what race pace you will shoot for in each discipline.  I'd also like to know more about the sprint course also. 

I look forward to helping in any way I can.

Danny

2007-05-22 1:57 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL

I just got some bad news from the doc today.  I'll elaborate more later, but I may be a little absent for a couple of days.  Please continue to encourage each other, and I will be back full strength shortly.

On a related note, it looks like my 2nd Ironman (CDA), which is in 5 weeks, is almost certainly not going to be possible for me now.  I've really been preparing for it alot, so I'm not too happy.

This has not been a good day. 

Danny

2007-05-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #811486

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
Hey danny!
I am already planning on going to IMMooooooo to watch some donkeys and others compete and today i took your advice and signed up to be a catcher at the finish line between 8pm and midnight!! im pumped it should be really cool! i love watching past ironmans and seeing the people at the very end like the nun or john blaze, really cool people!
For the Elkhart sprint the swim is 400 yds, about 12 mile bike, and then a 2.5 mi run. The area is very hilly and open so wind is definitely a factor. Today i did a sort of mini sprint at about what i want my race pace to be. The bike felt good except the whole going into the wind part haha but i was dyin once i got running just because my HR was up in the mid to high 80% range. i suck at swimming so im working on that but my goal is about 8 min for the race. My goal for the race is to swim 8min, keep the bike under 40 min, and the run under 24 so i would like to have an overall time of less than 1:15. is this reasonable? Thanks for the help!
Josh
2007-05-22 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte NC
sorry to hear about the bad news from the doctor. knowing that youre an ironman gives me confidence and should give you confidence also that whatever it is you will battle through and not give up because that is what an ironman does! best of luck
2007-05-22 3:50 PM
in reply to: #811424

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
dhyte - 2007-05-22 7:56 AM

A couple of things to keep in mind when it gets hectic:

- if you're following a plan and you get behind...don't double up and try to make up the missed workouts.  Let them go!  Focus on jumping back in on your plan, not overdoing by doubling up, and then having quality workouts.

- don't stress if your schedule dosn't allow you to follow the plan exactly.  Do what you can, when you can.  Otherwise, you start getting a major guilt complex and the whole thing turns into work.  I think you have enough of that already.  Having said that, don't be a slacker, but don't beat yourself up either.  You need to work hard, but as I said maintain a healthy balance.

I look forward to working with you and helping anyway I can.

Danny

Danny,

Thanks for the advice. I will work in what I can without trying to do the entire week's workout in one day.

I know what you mean about the altitude. I live at about 7,000 ft so I am used to it now, but I moved up here from sea level several years ago and it took a while to get use to it.

Sorry to hear about the news from the doc. I hope every thing works out for you.

2007-05-22 4:02 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I made a seperate post that explains my previous message:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=76880&posts=2&start=1

Bottom line is I have alot of unknowns a this point. It seems certain that IMCDA is not going to happen this year.  The good news is I will be training less for the next 6 weeks or so, and will have more time to provide support to our group (here).

I'll jump back in later in the week, and will be expecting to see some training logs filled out with some serious hard work. 

Danny

2007-05-23 6:24 AM

New user

Richmond, VA
Danny:

I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. May the Lord bless you and your family in this fight. Thank you for your help and encouragement here on BT to a total newcomer, and know that I will be praying for you.

Ronn
2007-05-23 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone,

How's it going? I'm sure we're all feeling a little stunned by Danny's news, although not nearly as much as Danny is. I just wanted to send a shout-out to you all to say I hope the training is going well and the weekend holds good things!

I'm just hoping the winds die down around here! I haven't needed hills the last couple days...

Happy training,
Trish
2007-05-24 2:15 AM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hey Danny,

Very sorry to hear about the bad news.  You will defintely be in our thoughts. 

2007-05-24 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hello All,

Any experienced swimmers in the group?   Have a question and hoping for a solution: Have you ever had problems with dizziness during your swim workout, and immediately after your swim? Could the dizziness be caused by water in the ears? 

Any takers on this one?? 

Edited by JBHGary 2007-05-24 7:42 PM

2007-05-24 8:22 PM
in reply to: #816200

User image

Regular
Definitely sounds like water in your inner ear.  Get some ear plugs and see if that helps.
2007-05-24 8:29 PM
in reply to: #816200

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
JBHGary - 2007-05-24 5:41 PM

Hello All,

Any experienced swimmers in the group? Have a question and hoping for a solution: Have you ever had problems with dizziness during your swim workout, and immediately after your swim? Could the dizziness be caused by water in the ears?

Any takers on this one??

Hi Gary,

I'm back!

This is a common issue with swimmers. Often, the issue is exactly what you suggested: water in the ears.

I personally never swim without my earplugs, and I also normally swim with a nose clip on. It takes a little time to get use to them (especially the nose clip), but have helped me alot.

For some reason, this was more of an issue for me in the ocean (even if the water was very calm). If the ocean water is rough, I have come out of the water absolutely nauseated.

Even if I do not get dizzy, I seem to have more trouble with swimmer's ear, than when I was younger. Drops do not help as much, so I just wear the plugs.

There area lot of different types of plugs, but I use some cheap one from CVS that work great:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/detail?prodid=207955&prev...

There could be other reasons for being dizzy: swimming in a warm pool (same reason why there are temp cutoffs for wearing wetsuits in races), over-exerting yourself (us triathletes never do that), or other issues. Other issues could be all kinds of weird stuff, but let's try the easy stuff first !

2007-05-24 8:49 PM

User image

Regular
Also if it's isolated to Open Water swimming, it may actually be the cold water.  I've read that the cold water chills your inner ear and will throw off your sense of balance making you feel and appear drunk even.  I've experienced this on more than one occasion when I forgot my swim cap.
2007-05-24 9:04 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi everyone,

After 2 days having having my world turned upside down, things are calming down a bit.
Some of my additional tests have been negative so far, so some of the concerns have been eliminated.  Thats the good news.  The bad news is some of my symptoms and pain are not explained yet. 

One step at a time...

I'm having surgery on 6/7/07.  There will be more results available afterwards which will be the best indicator if the cancer is minor or major. 

One step at a time...

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.  

The initial shock is over (I think), and I'm trying to get back into a regular routine.
My training is on hold for now (except for may a little swimming), so I should be available for the Mentor Group again!!

So fire away with any questions, or requests.

Danny 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13