BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2007-12-21 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1090041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :)

Just a quickie re: siting in the pool - I'm not sure you really *can* beause nothing simulates the feeling of being in an expanse of water.  The best I can tell you is try to read the clock on the wall - because to sight, you need to be looking up and OUT probably for the better part of a stroke, if not a stroke or two.  You're not just looking at the lane markers (which you have in abundance in a pool, between the walls and the bottom of the pool, and the floating lane markers which you can still see while underwater) but you're looking out and around you, which, in OWS, often takes a second.  Then you have to decide which way to swim, i.e., what your "anchors" or reference points are, and then you have to swim in that direction   And your reference points are things like buoys and/or trees (lake swim) and the shoreline - things much farther away from you than your reference points in a pool.  That's why actually doing an OWS is so important.  Add in a current (in a river or ocean swim), and people swimming around and yes OVER you occasionally, and you've got even more factors to work into the equation for staying on course.

Randi, I won't likely be doing the OWS practices with CGI becuase they're REALLY far south of me and I just can't do them with my and my husband's schedule.  I would encourage you to try the Sandy Hookers "practice" tris in Long Branch, there's usually one each month starting in June *brrrrr* but they're very laid back - you keep your own splits and report them if you feel like it! - and they're great for newbies or just a 3-sport workout.  I felt much better after having just *watched* one before I did my first tri. 

Ok, yeah, quickie?  Apparently I don't know how to be quick!

2007-12-21 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good afternoon everyone.  I did about 40 minutes on a very nice computrainer type bike at the Y today.  Still not as good as some of you are doing.  tomorrow I am going to try for a good workout with my Spinervals DVD and my own bike on a trainer.

As far as Xmas goodies - I think I have almost everything I need.  Maybe a new bathing suit and another Spinervals DVD.

Sunday I am going to have a rest day.  I think the Flames are playing the Devils that day!

Tracy

2007-12-21 3:49 PM

Sugar Land, TX
Hello all...

Well I did 35 minutes in the pool...felt great... really the first day in the pool since early summer. Stupid me forgot her googles and now I feel as if someone has poured acid in my eyes....have rinsed and rinsed to no avail....uggggghhhhhh.

Hmmm I will be really worried about the OWS....I can swim great but when I closed my eye (to try to help the painful stinging in the eyes) I couldnt keep a strait line to save my life...actually ran into the wall...after that I finished the last 20 with the backstroke.

2007-12-21 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1113245

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: MaXpiXie's Group - Challenge

Biked 27.2 miles this afternoon in 1:41:41.  It was wonderful out there!

Time to go fix dinner then open presents.

2007-12-21 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Wow, Cheri what a great ride!  Have fun opening presents.
2007-12-22 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1114017

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Fechter99 - 2007-12-21 5:45 PM Wow, Cheri what a great ride!  Have fun opening presents.

The ride was nice -- we took it easy and enjoyed the day.  However, I do need to start working on speed again soon.  It's just hard when there isn't much sunlight at this time of year.  I mostly only get outdoors on weekends.

I got my Forerunner!  Now I need to read the book and figure out how to use it.

2007-12-22 6:56 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

36:58 for 4 miles today.  I was definitely dragging though -- didn't get enough sleep and a little worn out from the bike ride yesterday. 

Today's the last day of the challenge, right?

2007-12-22 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yep, today's the last day of the challenge - I will tally everyone's results tonight.

I did spin class today and I'll probably do yoga later.  This should be interesting!

Congrats on the new Forerunner, Cheri!!  Color me Jealous!

Ooooh, Tracy, do we have a little hockey rivalry in our group?  My house is a Devils house so I will be watching the game too!  We did not fare so well against the Canuks, but put the Oilers in their place quite nicely last night   Better watch out!

Edited by maxpixie 2007-12-22 11:09 AM
2007-12-22 12:02 PM

Sugar Land, TX
Woke up and did a 38 minute run..actually 15 walk and 20 light jog. First time outside....always did a tereadmill...can see how this outdoor stuff can be addicting...although in Houston I do not venture into outside in the hot humidity...or super freezing cold.

I probably will come in last on the challenge...but I am so glad to just get started.

Will try and do some bike tonight.
2007-12-22 12:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great workout today = I did my Spinervals DVD (Aero Base Builder) and did it for an hour!  Could have gone longer but want to spend some time with my family!

Christine - my 7 year old son has got me more interested in hockey!  I was cheering like crazy for the Flames when they won their 6 in a row.  However, I have a feeling that the Devils are going to beat them tomorrow!  My son is a huge Flames fan but he was cheering for the Devils last year in the Stanley Cup rounds.

Great work everyone!  I'm off to a Xmas party at my brother's tonite.

Tracy

2007-12-22 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1114355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

My house is a Flyers house even though we have season tickets to the Trenton Devils (ECHL) but have had them since before they became the Devils. 

Randi

2007-12-22 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I got in a stationary bike ride 14 miles in 73 minutes plus 10 minutes stretching and crunches.  The bike ride was great because I had not been able to ride 14 miles before, usually stopped after 10 miles.

Great job to everyone today for their workouts!  Thanks for the motivation challenge, Christine!  It really got me out of my funk from the beginning of the week.

Randi

Edited by Fechter99 2007-12-22 1:18 PM
2007-12-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1114419

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Fechter99 - 2007-12-22 1:17 PM

I got in a stationary bike ride 14 miles in 73 minutes plus 10 minutes stretching and crunches.  The bike ride was great because I had not been able to ride 14 miles before, usually stopped after 10 miles.

Great job to everyone today for their workouts!  Thanks for the motivation challenge, Christine!  It really got me out of my funk from the beginning of the week.

Randi

Forgot to include the 3 minute WU and 5 min CD.  Nothing like padding my times (hehe)

2007-12-22 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Congrats to everyone on all of your workouts this week.  You guys are fabulous, and Christine is a great motivator!

I may be somewhat sporadic this week on posting here or on my training log.  My Mom and I leave tomorrow for a seven day cruise to the Caribbean.   We figured if my husband had to work, we should go play!  But I do plan to visit the gym regularly, and if I am not able to access the internet I'll keep track and update my training later.  (Or maybe I'll take a few days off and soak up some rays?)

Happy Holidays everyone!

Cheri

2007-12-23 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy Holidays, indeed!

Our Challenge winner is RANDI, with 328 minutes!  Cheri was a close second with 262, followed by myself (171 - didn't get to yoga yesterday, RATS), Tracy (166) and Michelle (73 despite joining late!)  Feel free to check my math, because it's probably illegal for me to be doing addition without having had my morning coffee....

Good job everyone!  I know it's EXTRA difficult to get workouts in with the holidays and the darkness and life in general.  I'm glad we're all here to support each other through it!

I'll announce the January challenge next week   In the meantime, Randi, drop me a PM with your address, your prize awaits! 

2007-12-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1114841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Wow!  I never expected to win but am thrilled to have gotten in that much training.  Thank you so much for the motivation! 

Congrats to everyone for their hard work and time spent training!

Randi

2007-12-23 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Christine and everyone for the motivation to keep training over the past few days!

Tracy

2007-12-24 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Okay, I went for a run/brisk walk outside today for the first time and atually enjoyed it.  The weather was about 40 degrees but with a fairly steady wind.   I did not stretch or warm up like I should have and am sure that is why I had tight shins and achy feet when I did run or even walked.  I also realize that it is going to be completely different running on asphalt/concrete than running on the treadmill.  I challenged myself a few times to just keep running until I reached a corner. I know that as long as I keep at it, it will be like on the treadmill when I first started- I could only run a minute or so then had to walk.  Now on most days I can run for 10-15 minutes.  I am going to keep at it so that I can do that outside as well.  My heart rate was a bit high but figured I  was not doing a good job pacing myself and it is cold and windy.  I had been afraid I was going to be too cold and put on one too many layers which caused me to overheat a little.  Now I know better. 

My HRM says I went 3.03 miles while the route tracker on my blog says 3.34 miles in just under an hour. I do know I need to calibrate the footpod again since it was off even when on the treadmill. 

Thanks to Christine for encouraging me to give it a try.  Now the challenge is to keep getting out there as well as to keep doing the same route so that I can do it faster and faster!

2007-12-25 5:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!  It is 6:18 and we are already done opening presents.  My husband told the kids they could not get up until 6:30. Ha ha!  They were up at 5 and by 5:15 so was I.

I did not get any triathlon gear because I did not know any better as to what I wanted.  Also, I did get a HRM for Hanukkah at the beginning of the month. Yes, we celebrate both.  My birthday is in January so I can always get some stuff then.  Looks like I will need some warm running clothes for when I run or bike outside this winter.

Anyway,  just wanted to pop in and wish everyone a happy holiday!

Randi

2007-12-27 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1116218

User image

Extreme Veteran

We were up by 6 a.m. and my husband (or Santa) was very kind to me triathlon-wise.  Got a new cycling DVD of a local ride, which I did later that morning.  Also got a Zoot bike/run jacket - size Medium which was way too small (how depressing).  I will be taking the jacket back today probably for an exchange or a couple of new purchases.  Also got a Zoot cycling shirt - very cool!

My Monday workout also included numerous trips up and down the stairs carrying presents up to the tree.  I hope I can include that toward my training.

My husband has now been in the local triathlon store at least twice, and I haven't been there once yet!

Tracy

2007-12-27 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hey Tracy,  sounds like you got some good presents.  I know what you mean about sizes and how depressing that can be but I am sure you and I will both be getting into mediums soon!  I totally agree that those trips up and down the stairs should count towards your training.

Have fun shopping at the triathlon store - you have to catch up with your husband's two trips.

Randi

2007-12-27 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Despite still being under the weather, I headed to the Y to get some exercise and I am glad I did.  I do feel a bit better but still pretty congested.

Ouch...my arms are so sore right now.  I read on BT about simplefit.org which is a basic version of crossfit and figured I would give it a try.  Wow, what a workout in the 20 minutes.  I started on level 1 day one which was 1 pull up, 2 push ups and 3 squats per round.  You had to do as many rounds in 20 minutes.  I finished 21 rounds but barely and used the weight assisted pull up machine at the Y (set to 130lbs - meaning I lifted 120 lbs less than my body weight - 50lbs) and did the push ups from my knees.  I would not have done as many with these modifications but figure I can always decrease the assisted weight as I improve.  I worked up a serious sweat and got my HR up there too.    I also road the stationary bike for 20 minutes.

How's everyone else doing?

Randi

2007-12-27 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1118739

User image

Extreme Veteran

I traded my Zoot jacket for a different Zoot jacket, and a swimsuit and various accessories.  Zoot fits strangely, apparently (that's my story and I'm sticking with it!)  Even the young guy working at the store said he wears an XL and normally isn't an XL.  If I'm ever able to get into that medium, I will celebrate!

Tracy

2007-12-27 6:44 PM

Sugar Land, TX
Hello All,

Hope everyone had a great Christmas....my 3 year old was most impressed that Santa ate the cookies and drank all the milk...more than the gifts themselves.

My "Triathalon Santa" was good to me...think he had more fun shopping this year than ever before...mainly cool accessories and gadgets. GPS for my bike, really cool. Then I got lots of fitness clothes, bike shorts and long pants, and nice bike tops...cool warmups...lots of under armour... And for my swim...3 sets of good googles (see my earlier post about swing without them)...plus some hand fins. Well...after that couldn't wait to get into the pool...but on Christmas day, while cooking the turkey in a roaster oven for the first time...I lifted the top to baste and managed to give my self a killer second degree steam burn on my forearm..that blistered and hurt like heck...

I got in a good hour at a spin class this morning....I think she tried to kill us for all the sweets we ate this last week...but I survived (then went home and took a nap...)

My arm feels better...the blisters have poped and I cleaned it good so I am going to attempt a swim tomorrow morning.

Well thats my update ....Congrats to all who have managed to keep regular with their training through the holidays..

Michele
2007-12-28 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1119396

User image

Extreme Veteran

Michele, you will certainly enjoy that swim with your new goggles.  Swimming without goggles must be awful!

My kids were also impressed that Santa ate the cookies and drank the milk

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MaXpiXie's Group - CLOSED and Motivated to Train!! :) Rss Feed  

of 10