BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-12-30 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1122859

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-There's room for ONE more!! going, going...GONE. We're FULL.

Krakatoa - 2007-12-30 1:32 PM I have the Sanskrit 'aum' or 'om' symbol on my right calf. I got it in Bali seven years ago. I probably would not get the IM tattoo.

Very jealous you've been to Bali!  Where else fun have you been? Bet you can travel to some pretty amazing places on that side of the world!!!  Let's have the list, from most to least favorite.

2007-12-30 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1098772

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX
Subject: RE: Mimir98's group-There's room for ONE more!! going, going...GONE. We're FULL.

IM Tat...

I don't have any tats now but will before July 4th .  Just a small one.  I'll probably put it on my lower back on the right side right above where my bike shorts sit.  Anyone who doesn't workout with me won't ever see it but it will probably be beyond them anyway.

DH wasn't for because his theory was that he didn't want me to set the wrong example for our kids.    Frankly, if that's all they do I'll be leaping for joy.  As for my example, my argument is that there are worse examples I could set than being fit, taking care of myself, setting a goal, that has lots of ups and downs that you have to push through and maintain focus sacrificing numerous things along that way.  He's since changed his mind.

Hope everyone got something in today!  

2007-12-30 6:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Tattoos have been part of humankind's spiritual journey for thousands of years.....and it should continue, IMO!! Now, don't get me wrong. I find massive, garish tattoos to be really gross. The small, spiritually meaningful ones are what I'm talkin' about (no offense to anyone who has massive, garish tattoos all over their body - just not for me).

I like the turtle with the integrated IM logo idea. If I were to do an IM someday, that's the approach I'd take - integrated into something else - stylized - but as far as the 'corporate' look of the straight-on IM logo, that's not something I'd do personally

2007-12-31 4:53 AM
in reply to: #1122870

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Mimir98 - 2007-12-31 4:00 AM

Krakatoa - 2007-12-30 1:32 PM I have the Sanskrit 'aum' or 'om' symbol on my right calf. I got it in Bali seven years ago. I probably would not get the IM tattoo.

Very jealous you've been to Bali!  Where else fun have you been? Bet you can travel to some pretty amazing places on that side of the world!!!  Let's have the list, from most to least favorite.

If I could afford it, I'd travel every 3-day weekend and holiday!

In order of favorites (though none were 'bad'):

1) Bali (twice - the world's most peaceful and beautiful people - stunning landscapes)
2) India (hard traveling, strange, strange, strange - but endlessly fascinating)
3) Mexico (Cabo)
4) Italy (Portofino area - a buddy and I rode bikes around Europe - pre-married days for both)
5) Japan (Tokyo and also southern Honshu and northern Fukuoka - Beppu - beautiful!)
6) Malaysia (went with oldest son on a 'father-son' trip)
7) Other places in Europe on aforementioned bike ride: Amsterdam, Munich, Strasbourg, a lot of Belgium, Milano, Genoa......so much fun. This was probably 24 or 25 years ago now, and the same guy and I have been talking about re-doing the Italy section sometime......someday...some way.
8) Okinawa (for a conference, and was on a Marine base all the time)
9) Guam (half-day layover on way to Bali - did a beach - it was okay)
10) Korea - not the 'last' place, but just because it's basically been home for 12 years now. We've driven all over the country (and once got turned back by armed soldiers when we went too far north and ran into the DMZ north of Chorwon!) It's a beautiful, mountainous country, with a proud and dignified people.
11) Canada - have made several forays into the neighbor to the north. Windsor Ontario for drinking when in high school in Michigan; British Columbia for odds and ends.)
12) Have been almost everywhere in the US except the northeast and Alaska. We stop in Hawaii every summer either before heading back on the last leg to Seoul from the States. LOVE the place.)

Oddly enough, we've never been to China....but hope to go this spring with the High School baseball team I coach over here. Beijing right before the Olympics. How cool!!

(I like to write a lot - sorry)
2007-12-31 11:16 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I am sooo envious.  Your travels sound fascinating.

Somehow the girl who wanted to go to school for International business so she could travel fell in love with a guy from a small town and won't leave.  I'm trying to get him to move 15 miles to the west to SA.  Overseas would put him over the edge. LOL...  I do think I could get him to bike Italy though.  Someday...sigh....

Hope everyone has a great NY Day...kick it off right with some solid rest so you can kick it in gear on Wednesday or get a great workout in.

2008-01-01 5:08 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

We'll have to discuss these travels more!!!  But later.  Right now, I have to go bike for a long time...after 4 1/2 hours of sleep.  I'm tired and wondering why I am doing this, but once the coffee kicks in and the sun comes up and I smell the ocean breezes, all will be right with the world.  Plus, I will have a cuban feast to look forward to   And an early bed.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!  Make every day count, weather it's a training day or a rest day.  And be sure you ENJOY what you do....this is SUPPOSED to be fun   

2008-01-01 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone has a great start to the new year! I started the olympic training plan found here on BT today. Got a good ride in the morning - hope to swim later today. I miss understood my pool hrs and missed lap swim this am by 20 min! Also have realized that for me to get my swim portions in - I am gonna have to swim at 6 am! ugghh - That will definitely take some getting used to for me!

Mimi - correct me if I am wrong please - this training plan is a 16 week plan - I only have 14 weeks so I am starting on week 2....any thoughts? Also - should I worry about following days in correct order every week? I mean, on this plan my long bike ride is on Friday and my off day is Sat - I feel like I should be able to swap these with no problem, right? How important is it to follow the daily time limits? If a particular day calls for a 53 min ride - but I am feeling good and want to ride additional time - how will that  effect my overall plan?

I have more ?'s but won't overload you all at once!

Edit - how was the ride? hope it was good - I can't wait until I can make that kinda distance -but right now I can't even imagine!

Edited by tntexpres 2008-01-01 12:52 PM
2008-01-01 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1126137

User image

Master
South Florida
tntexpres - 2008-01-01 1:50 PM

Hope everyone has a great start to the new year! I started the olympic training plan found here on BT today. Got a good ride in the morning - hope to swim later today. I miss understood my pool hrs and missed lap swim this am by 20 min! Also have realized that for me to get my swim portions in - I am gonna have to swim at 6 am! ugghh - That will definitely take some getting used to for me!

Mimi - correct me if I am wrong please - this training plan is a 16 week plan - I only have 14 weeks so I am starting on week 2....any thoughts? Also - should I worry about following days in correct order every week? I mean, on this plan my long bike ride is on Friday and my off day is Sat - I feel like I should be able to swap these with no problem, right? How important is it to follow the daily time limits? If a particular day calls for a 53 min ride - but I am feeling good and want to ride additional time - how will that  effect my overall plan?

I have more ?'s but won't overload you all at once!

Edit - how was the ride? hope it was good - I can't wait until I can make that kinda distance -but right now I can't even imagine!

YOu'll get used to the 6am swim...trust me, I am soooo not a morning person, but have learned to become one.  It's a great way to start the day, too!

I would try to stick to the plan as much as you can...and that means if it says 53 min. do 53 minutes.  I mean, 55 wouldn't kill you, but it's a plan for a reason.  Do too much and you risk overuse injury.  Even if you are feeling good, try to stick to the plan.  Sometimes you do have to move workouts around, but usually plans are structured so that you have proper recovery/ active recovery, or to simulate the fatigue you'll feel in a race.   Maybe you can shift the whole plan by a day to match your schedule?    I am by no means an authority on this...just going by what I have learned from my own training.  

The ride was beautiful.  Only hit 90, but I"ll take it!!!  This is when it really pays to live in south florida.  Nothing like riding along the beach on Jan 1!  And it was crowded out there.  And great job getting started!!  Nothing like a new year to get you motivated  

OH, and yes, if you are comfortable doing the distances for 2 weeks into the plan you should be fine.  Just listen to your body and be honest with yourself.  If you feel tired, or sore in a weird way, don't be afraid to cut something short.  As my coach once told me, "save the great performance for race day"

Edited by Mimir98 2008-01-01 2:20 PM
2008-01-02 9:01 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

so what's on everyone's schedule for the rest of the week?  Here's what I am doing:

W-1600m swim
Th-50min. zone 1 run
F-2300m swim/ strength work
S-2 hour zone 1 bike
S- 4000m swim, 50 min. zone 1-2 run

I am glad to be back on my regular schedule after enjoying essential 2 months of monkeying around!  First real race is St. Anthony's Oly in late April.  Hoping to pick up some speed on the bike this year  

So let's see it gang !!!

2008-01-02 9:33 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
For the budding swimmers....once you can swim 500 straight w/o stopping, I suggest doing structured workouts, rather than just swimming straight for a certain amount of time.  I've logged my swim workouts for probably the last 3 years, so you can go back and find some, or you can google "beginner swim workouts" or check out usms.org - go to "training" for some ideas.  It'll really break up the monotony and help you focus on certain aspects of your swim.  Swimming is technique.  Period.  Hammering away with poor form with just leave you tired for the bike and run.
2008-01-02 12:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I was going to do the 3x Bal Oly plan, but would like to also try a HIM maybe in August, once I find out where my son will go off to college (deep sadness over this!!) It has been recommended that I switch to one of the HIM plans and use the Oly in June as a warm-up......even though I'm not sure a HIM will even work into the summer plan......better to be over-prepared for an OLy than undertrained for a HIM I suppose. Hopefully we'll know soon where son will go when he leaves us!! I'd rather not train at HIM level if there will be no HIM in my August plan. We shall see.

Swimming is going to be the rough one, regardless of Oly or Him (or even Sprint). 500 yards without stopping is still a good ways away for me!

Edited by Krakatoa 2008-01-02 12:04 PM

2008-01-02 2:11 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

Robert, just curious...do you not want to train at the HIM level b/c of time constraints?  Or just wanna train for a specific distance?  Not that this is the right thing to do, but I did my first HIM on a whim...I had done an oly in june, I think, and was thinking *maybe* for the HIM.  I believe I decided in August to do the Miamiman HIM which is in November, but just do it as a long training day.  It worked out...I learned alot about what not to do  

It depends on what your race goals are for that distance.   Will your son be going to school stateside ? 

Edit:  More thougts on this....it's not necessarily better to be overtrained for a distance, if your goal is to finish in a certain time.  You can push it harder in an oly b/c it's shorter, but you also will do some more speed focused work.  Also thought I'd point out the swim distance between oly and HIM isn't such a big one, so if that would be the only thing holding you back, I wouldn't not do the HIM because of the swim.  Did I make sense on any of that??

Edited by Mimir98 2008-01-02 2:15 PM
2008-01-03 4:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Hi Mimi,

I've found two HIM plans (one here and one over at TriFuel) that I'm going to kind of tweak into one, and go this route instead of the Oly plan.

Yes, definitely, the swim is the only concern. I wouldn't be super fast on the run or bike, but I know I could finish mid-to-back pack right now. Once I have swim confiidence, doing an HIM will make a lot more sense! But, instead of waiting for the 'sense' to come around, I'm going to start training for an HIM and use the Olys I've scheduled as prep work.

Bob
2008-01-05 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran

Gotta nice ride in today - I have had a good week - I have stuck to my plan this week - almost! Just rearranged a bit. How about everyone else?

Got a run planned for tomorrow am - gonna take it easy the rest of today - watch Jax beat Pittsburgh later..... 

Edited by tntexpres 2008-01-05 3:56 PM
2008-01-05 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Stay with a plan...Heh!  What's that?  Just kidding.

Nice Job sticking with it. 

I did ok this week.  I missed a couple workouts but made them both up if you count today's joy ride.  Today I rode with my tri group.  We're pretty new so we are trying to grow our own and take care of the newbies so we stayed together.  Pretty slow but we were in a hilly area and I'm not suppose to do hills anyway so it worked out.  I'll try and get a good ride in tomorrow on the flats but it's liable to give me a run for my money with the wind.

Anybody else?

2008-01-06 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Tucson
I did ok this week too -- hit my volume goal for tri-sports overall, but didn't have the proportions exactly as planned. Going back to work tomorrow should help that out some, as I'll be able to get in a couple of swims each week. (Carpooling is wonderful!)

Just looked back and realized that, other than one day of walking, I've gone straight since the 25th. I'm looking forward to Thursday's day off.

2008-01-06 12:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
Nice work, you guys! Way to hang in there and conquer!

I really enjoy being part of a group -- it is really helping me feel 'accountable', which is crucial for a wayward soul like me.

Great start on '08!
2008-01-06 7:08 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
woot woot!  way to go guys...keep keeping eachother in check...I can't tell you how many workouts I"ve wanted to quit early or slack off on, but didn't because I knew someone was watching me   I missed one swim this week (too cold and icky for this thin blooded gal), but otherwise was right on the money.  Let's try to go for 100% from everyone this week!!!! 
2008-01-06 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Got my run in tonight! So finished my week good - which made me think - does everyone start their week on Sunday or Monday? Guess it doesn't matter really. How about it guys/gals? Did everyone have a productive weekend?

Here is my schedule for the week - what does everyone else have lined up?

1/7/20081/8/20081/9/20081/10/20081/11/20081/12/20081/13/2008
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
29 swimoff48 swim29 run97 bike off48 run
48 bike      

I am thinking if I post my plan for the week here - it will be harder for me to be slip out of something later in the week - anyone else feeling froggy?

2008-01-06 9:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Seoul Expat Community
I'm bummed. This is going to have to be a kind of recovery week (unplanned and unwanted) because I've got some major upper respiratory crap going on. Coughing, burning lungs.....and my wife just told me the Yellow Dust (actual sand particles blowing in from the Gobi desert plus various pollutants picked up along the way over China) is hitting Seoul today. It used to be a March/April thing, but it's earlier and earlier these days.....desertification, global warming, whatever......it's definitely not helping this boy to breathe!

I was all set to start my HIM plan today......but I can barely draw a shallow breath. Doctor this afternoon.

Sorry for being down, but this really kills me.......hopefully I won't lose anything I've gained if it takes 3-4 days to knock this thing down........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
2008-01-06 10:34 PM
in reply to: #1137831

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
tntexpres - 2008-01-06 7:36 PM

does everyone start their week on Sunday or Monday? Guess it doesn't matter really. How about it guys/gals? Did everyone have a productive weekend?

I start my weeks on Monday so I can catch up on Sunday if need be. My week was fun although I was way short on my riding. I wanted to maintain 100 miles/week over the winter by riding in Denver once a week or so. But they have too much snow to make it worthwhile to drive down there. My local bike route is covered with about four feet of snow.

2008-01-07 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1137903

User image

Master
South Florida

Krakatoa - 2008-01-06 10:01 PM  Sorry for being down, but this really kills me.......hopefully I won't lose anything I've gained if it takes 3-4 days to knock this thing down........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

ouch , feel better soon!  It sucks to not be able to breathe   You defninitely won't lose anything in 3-4 days.  In a week's time, you'll be totally back to normal.  Let thy body rest and heal. 

2008-01-07 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I start my week on Sunday since that's what the log tracks.

Today's workout is done and I have a PT appt and I'm going to tell her I'm GOING to start running again.  Probably not the smartest move but I can't handle this anymore.  Told coach he needed to up my workouts too.  These 30 min workouts aren't worth getting up early for.  I spend more time planning how to get them done than actually doing them.   I think I'll be ok on running if I continue to stretch aggresively before and after my runs and if I start running on gravel vs road.  Time will tell.    Wish me luck. 

2008-01-07 10:48 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
Good luck!  just listen to your body...too early in the season to blow it out    You'll know if you're doing something you shouldn't...you just have to be sure to really listen  
2008-01-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1137831

User image

Master
South Florida
tntexpres - 2008-01-06 9:36 PM

Got my run in tonight! So finished my week good - which made me think - does everyone start their week on Sunday or Monday? Guess it doesn't matter really. How about it guys/gals? Did everyone have a productive weekend?

Here is my schedule for the week - what does everyone else have lined up?

1/7/20081/8/20081/9/20081/10/20081/11/20081/12/20081/13/2008
MondayTuesdayWednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySunday
29 swimoff48 swim29 run97 bike off48 run
48 bike      

I am thinking if I post my plan for the week here - it will be harder for me to be slip out of something later in the week - anyone else feeling froggy?

Good idea!  Now we will all be checking up on you

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mimir98's group-CLOSED AGAIN...FOR REAL THIS TIME Rss Feed  

of 36