BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Freshly Closed !!
Hey Danny

Really pleased as I had a sharp run tonight in the rain and wind to test my fitness (I do this once a month when I have no races) and was delighted with 5.13 miles in 37mins 33secs (7.19 min pace). This is ahead of this time last year and somewhere near peak fitness last summer. I'll now put some longer runs in to build up the miles!

Hope ur well - have a crazy day!

2008-01-08 1:40 PM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Hey Mike,

It is a really good idea to go to a running shoe store. I visited my local shop and they took a video of my running for about a minute. Then they ran it in slow motoin to see what kind of foot stride that I have. For some reason I tend to lead more with my right foot that casues my inside ankle to take on more of the weight. As soon as the sales person saw this she handed me a pair of shoes that have a better inner support system. I paid $89 for them and a good pair of running socks too. I've had no pains running at all after buying these shoes.

Question: My first triathlon starts off in a pool. What do I wear to swim, bike, and run in? Do I buy a pair of jammers and leave them on through the whole race? Where my biker shorts and just get them wet? Any suggestions would help.

Hey Cav,

Man I wish I could run a 7 minute pace. That is awesome you ran 5 miles in 37 minutes. I only dream of doing that. What has been your key to getting to this point in your running. Run slow for longer miles? Or run at a 7 minute pace for as long as possible?

Edited by Txhokie 2008-01-08 1:45 PM
2008-01-08 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1135608

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Somewhat Open (room for a couple more) !!

Hi Laura,

I just wanted to be clear which Training Plan you are following.  Are you using:

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week  ?

If so, I had a couple of comments.

This plan is 22 weeks and your 1st race is in about 16-17 weeks (end of April).
Also, the plan does not include any running until week 4.

You may want to shorten the plan to about 14-15 weeks, do your 1st race, and then do more of a maintenance routine until the Danskin race.

You could blend the workouts for the 1st 2 weeks, and then jump into week 8 (or near there) of the training plan.  We could talk about some good ways to ease into it properly, and then also what would make sense after the April race.

Also, given that you said finding time to get in the workouts will be an issue, I would try to make running workouts your priority.  (This could include substituting elliptical, stair climber, treadmill, and water jogging to lesson the impact to your knees/ankles which you said give you some trouble.

I am a big proponent of identifying your key workouts, and committing to getting them in.  If the remaining workouts can be accomplished, that is excellent, but they are the workouts to be sacrificed if life is too busy. 

As far as the martial arts, I would just caution you to be cautious if you will be doing any sparring.  You need to ask yourself how much risk you want to take incurring any injury (thumb or elsewhere) and go from there.  For myself, as I get closer to a race, I will avoid plaing basketball or doing things that could potential derail my race.

Very cool that your husband and daughter are into the sport also ! 

How about some short family runs/jogs somewhere fun to keep the enthusiasm going?  Could do the trick.

Danny

lauawill42 - 2008-01-05 7:51 AM Hi, Danny! Yep, I'm totally psyched about the Danskin thing. I know it will be a humongous event, but uplifting as well. I'm trying to drag a couple of friends into it with me. They're both marathoners, but neither of them swims. So it'll be challenging for them as well. Since I don't want to get completely overwhelmed and lost in my first race, I've decided to do an indoor/outdoor one at the end of April with my husband. The distances are a bit shorter so it should be a good way to gauge how close I am to the Danskin distances. My husband is a bike commuter and a fitness runner, so this is going to be a piece of cake for him. The swim doesn't even scare him, since it's only 400 meters. With a little prodding, my daughter should be able handle the kids' event that same afternoon. I can't wait! My hand injury is now 18 months old. I got kicked during a sparring match and dislocated my right thumb. The first 6 months were the worst; I couldn't do much of anything at the dojang except watch. There was nothing the orthopod could repair, so I just had to work through all the physical therapy and hope for the best. At the beginning of 2007 it seemed to get a bit better, so I cautiously re-joined my regular training...and promptly got nailed again. (Both times were my fault. I have a tendency to block with an open hand, which leaves all my fingers hanging out there to be smashed. Not smart.) That's when I slid into the funk you mentioned. I trained on an off for the year, getting to the gym when I could, but my heart really wasn't in it. So the pounds just started packing on. Now I'm overweight and out of shape, but determined not to slide back into the funk. I'll be able to start taekwondo again in early February. I don't think the hand will bother me on the bike. I biked a lot this past summer and while it was usually sore afterwards, it wasn't insurmountable. At the gym I usually ride a recumbent to take the pressure off it, but I'll go back to the upright this week and see how it feels. I don't think it'll be a problem. And the run...Well, I won't concede the run yet, I guess. I'm going to start in on the 22-week couch to sprint this week, and since it starts with just walking, I'll hold off on bagging the run until I've actually attempted a few minutes of jogging. I played intermural basketball in both high school and college, so I know I CAN run if I have to. I just don't enjoy it. If I don't have a ball to chase, all I can think about when I run is how much I hate it! I will get to the finish line somehow, I promise! Laura

2008-01-08 3:00 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

A quick general request for everyone...

If responding to a previous post(from me or anyone else), please use the "quote" button so the previous content of the topic is included.

It will make the posts a little easier to follow and respond to!

Thanks. 

2008-01-08 3:04 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I will be responding to posts throughout the afternoon, and then back online tonight about 9-11 pm PST.  If anyone has anything they would like a quick answer on, you can either jump in while I'm online tonight (or post your questions/updates before 9 pm).

I realize we are not all in the same time zone, but I will try to pick a time every week when I am "scheduled" to be online for quick responses (I will probably do this on a weekday evening, and then VERY early Sunday morning on some weeks). 

2008-01-08 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1135629

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Enjoy your last day for dessert, cuz we're working hard in 2008 - Open !!

Hi Cav,

That looks like a pretty busy race schedule!

Are you sure that is not going to be too much?

Which races would you consider your "A" races that you want to perform at your best?

Swimming:
Breaststroke is absolutely more than acceptable.  The biggest thing with swimming is to come out of the water without expending too much energy.  Of course you want to swim as quickly as possible, but just get through the swim, and don't blow yourself out in the process.

Clearly swimming is your biggest "need" area.  I would try to be in the water no less than 3 times a week if possible.  Looks like your 1st sprint might be in May, so you have plenty of time to prepare.  I would try to join in with an organized group after about 4 weeks of solo workouts (if possible).  I can give you suggestions on swim workouts and drills to help in the process.

Danny

njcavill65 - 2008-01-05 8:14 AM Danny Thanks for the note my response is as follows:

Running Personal Bests

I’ve never trained specifically for an event. I just tend to run when I feel like it, various distances from 5 to 12 miles, then turn up and see how it goes. I haven’t done any speed work for a couple of years as I damaged a hamstring last time. I run occasionally with a local club with athletes at a higher level than me but I’m working away on those nights at the moment so that’s not on the agenda currently. I’m going to pick up cpl of races and focus on training properly for them, do some speed work etc and see how I go.

Biking

Doing a fair bit of spin biking now and will get the racer out shortly, I used to ride once a week up to 50 miles with a couple of decent climbs, sure I’ll be fine on the bike and I do love it!

Swimming

Local gym where I go has a 25m pool I’ll be in it twice a week. Focus is to get my breaststroke strong again and start to do some front crawl. I guess for sprint distance I wont lose too much by breast-stroking. I’ll look for a masters or triathlon club locally and hook up with them once I’ve had some time in the pool. Races Draft Schedule looks like this, I may skip some of the 10ks for the sprint triathlons below depending on dates

10ks

Beverley – May
Humber Bridge – Jun
Burton Pidsea - Jul
Elloughton - Aug

Half Marathons

Doncaster – Mar
Humber Bridge – Jun

Bridlington – Oct All those races are regular events for me and I do a few midweek summer races (4 – 8 miles with my club)

Sprint Triathlons

Mansfield - 4 swim / 17 bike / 5 run – May
Woodhall Spa .4 swim / 24 bike / 5 run - Jun
Lincoln .4 swim / 24 bike / 5 run – Jul

I’ll look for some events post July following my holiday. So there you have it buddy, please feedback your comments. Have a crazy day folks!

2008-01-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1142586

User image

Regular
hey brian

I tend to mix it up to be honest but 4 years ago I could run for 10 mins and that was my limit. I just increased it over the years but racing was the thing that really sharpened me up. I also run now and then with better athletes and they drag me along at a higher pace which helps. I always find i'm quicker in races - you just grit ur teeth and get on with it!
2008-01-08 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1142495

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Great run !

Do you typically try to do one long run per week?

I see you have a half marathon in March.  You mentioned you don't follow a specific run training plan. Do you intend to "peak" before the race (either in distance or time), or are you treating this race as more of a training run?

njcavill65 - 2008-01-08 11:22 AM Hey Danny Really pleased as I had a sharp run tonight in the rain and wind to test my fitness (I do this once a month when I have no races) and was delighted with 5.13 miles in 37mins 33secs (7.19 min pace). This is ahead of this time last year and somewhere near peak fitness last summer. I'll now put some longer runs in to build up the miles! Hope ur well - have a crazy day!

2008-01-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: #1143023

User image

Regular
dhyte - 2008-01-08 9:20 PM

Great run !

Do you typically try to do one long run per week?

I see you have a half marathon in March.  You mentioned you don't follow a specific run training plan. Do you intend to "peak" before the race (either in distance or time), or are you treating this race as more of a training run?

njcavill65 - 2008-01-08 11:22 AM Hey Danny Really pleased as I had a sharp run tonight in the rain and wind to test my fitness (I do this once a month when I have no races) and was delighted with 5.13 miles in 37mins 33secs (7.19 min pace). This is ahead of this time last year and somewhere near peak fitness last summer. I'll now put some longer runs in to build up the miles! Hope ur well - have a crazy day!

I do Danny at the weekend will do 10 this time - the half in March will be a training run my A race is the Humber Bridge Half in June which is a tough hilly one. My fave 10k is Beverley in May which is another hilly one. My race shedule is heavy there'll be a cpl in there that I'll drop but I find racing keeps me sharp and motivated. I'm going to hit the pool from next week onwards as I know its my weak point, just got a call from a buddy who wants to do some long bike rides which will help.

Cheers Danny really enjoying it here!
2008-01-08 6:26 PM
in reply to: #1135681

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Nancy,

Great embarrassing story !!  We need more of those to keep each other entertained. 

In my 1st race, I came into T2 go so fast that I laid down about a 15 foot skid mark at the dismount line.  It was a miracle that I did not wipe out myself and the bike in the process (my rear tire instantly was destroyed in the process though).  I felt pretty silly when the volunteers tore me up in front of all the spectators for my little boo-boo.

Which Hal Higdon program are you following?

http://www.halhigdon.com/target/Target.htm

I definitely would consider scheduling a 5K before your 1st sprint, and then mix more in later in the season.  If you are thinking of doing an Olympic, you should consider scheduling a 10K during your buildup also.

LadyGator - 2008-01-05 9:15 AM Danny, Thanks for the congrats. Now if only everything could get finalized so I could figure out when I'm starting work then I'd be happy. That first sprint tri I did in 2001 I had an old heavy mtb and I'd never ridden more than 5 miles on it on flat roads (the race included 2 causeways), and I had never run a full 5K before then either. I had joined UF's tri club and wanted to do the race to try it out. I finished, I won the 3rd place trophy for the age group, but I was also the 2nd to last overall finisher My embarrassing moment came in the second transition. To save time (haha) I decided I'd try to do a hop off of the bike so I could keep momentum and get to running. Well, my legs didn't agree with that, and I fell flat on my face coming into the transition as my legs just gave out. Needless to say the run was a little painful with those scrapes on my knees. But, anyway it wasn't enough to scare me away. The River Run's been something I've been wanting to do for several years (I live in Jacksonville) but I always forget about it until late January when it's a little too late to go couch-to-15K. But I've already registered for this years, and I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice program. My runs are a good bit of run/walk right now. The last time I've regularly run before this week was fall of 2006 when I did a couple sprints. I don't really have a goal finish time for the race, or at least I haven't thought of one. I sure hope I'll be ready I haven't picked out any races for the summer yet. I want to do some sprints, and I'd like to maybe finish off the year with an olympic. Would it also be good to try to throw some 5K's in the overall schedule as well? I don't have anywhere I can swim right now, and probably won't until mid-March, or until I join somewhere that has an indoor pool. But, the swim is the one thing I do have a stronger background in as I swam growing up. Although I did find out in one of the races I did in 2006 that I do need open water training to get used to that.

2008-01-08 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1140616

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: Running shoes question.

Totally agree with the others comments about getting "fitted" for the correct shoe.  Whether it is by visual inspection of your stride, videotaping analysis, or by standing/walking on pressure pads, you should take the guesswork out as much as possible.

I wear stability/motion control shoes.  I am a big guy, so I wear a pretty "sturdy shoe.
I currently am wearing Brooks Beast.  I had been wearing New Balance 1220/1221s for the previous 3 years.

I usually buy 3-4 pairs of shoes per year.  I would rather not spend the money, but $130 for a pair of shoes is better than injuring myself due to incorrect/cheaper shoes.

I'm in this for the long haul, so I just think I need to wear the best equip I can justify. 

MilkeC - 2008-01-07 7:23 PM Hello guys, This question goes to the runners (or anyone that can help). Me, being new to running, What is is that I should look for on a running tennis shoes? What would be a good price range to spend? Any tips, recommendations welcome Mike

2008-01-08 6:38 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I would recommend buying a pair of Tri-shorts that you can wear during all 3 events comfortably.  There are plenty to choose from.  I prefer Zoot.  I normally would not wear them in the pool, since the chlorine is tough on them, but one day should not bee too damaging.

In the old days, everyone wore a speedo for the whole race, but that is not very common anymore.

My regular swim suit (jammers) is pretty comfortable and I could easily wear during bike/run.  May depend on your comfort level riding your bike without padded shorts.

You could always change, but in a short race this is generally not a good plan. 

Txhokie - 2008-01-08 11:40 AM  Question: My first triathlon starts off in a pool. What do I wear to swim, bike, and run in?

Do I buy a pair of jammers and leave them on through the whole race? Where my biker shorts and just get them wet? Any suggestions would help. 

2008-01-08 6:39 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I would recommend buying a pair of Tri-shorts that you can wear during all 3 events comfortably. There are plenty to choose from. I prefer Zoot. I normally would not wear them in the pool, since the chlorine is tough on them, but one day should not be too damaging.

In the old days, everyone wore a speedo for the whole race, but that is not very common anymore.

My regular swim suit (jammers) is pretty comfortable and I could easily wear during bike/run. May depend on your comfort level riding your bike without padded shorts.

You could always change, but in a short race this is generally not a good plan.

Txhokie - 2008-01-08 11:40 AM Question: My first triathlon starts off in a pool. What do I wear to swim, bike, and run in?

Do I buy a pair of jammers and leave them on through the whole race? Where my biker shorts and just get them wet? Any suggestions would help.

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-08 11:34 PM
2008-01-08 6:39 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
oops - double post...

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-08 6:40 PM
2008-01-08 10:35 PM

Florida
For the Gate training plan, I'm using one I found through the Gate's website I think...
http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htm
I started it Monday before last, so I'm on week 2 now..yay progress. however, I hope I'm not going in too hard too soon. I've had a history of problems with shin splints and I've been feeling them through some of my runs lately. I'm wondering if maybe a new pair of shoes would help that?

For the suggested cross training workouts I'm usually going to be biking unless (or until) I have access to a pool. I'll probably be joining up with the Master's swim program in the next few weeks through UNF so that'll get me to the pool regularly.

I'm going to try by the end of the week to pin point some target races throughout the year including some 5 and 10k's. What's a reasonable number of races to try for throughout a season? Also, a friend of mine asked me to walk the 26.2 with Donna 1/2 Marathon with her on Feb 17. With trying to train for the 15K less than a month later would that be a smart thing to do?

dhyte - 2008-01-08 7:26 PM

Hi Nancy,

Great embarrassing story !! We need more of those to keep each other entertained.

In my 1st race, I came into T2 go so fast that I laid down about a 15 foot skid mark at the dismount line. It was a miracle that I did not wipe out myself and the bike in the process (my rear tire instantly was destroyed in the process though). I felt pretty silly when the volunteers tore me up in front of all the spectators for my little boo-boo.

I definitely would consider scheduling a 5K before your 1st sprint, and then mix more in later in the season. If you are thinking of doing an Olympic, you should consider scheduling a 10K during your buildup also.

2008-01-09 12:08 AM
in reply to: #1144224

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Shin splints can be from a number of different issues (incorrect shoes, incorrect stride mechanics, increasing distance too quickly, running on concrete too much).

If you have not been fitted for shoes, DO THIS !  See some of the previous posts in this thread on this.  Do not overtrain as you begin your program.  It is better to arrive at your race undertrained, than overtrained (there is a limit to this, but you get my drift).  If your shins are getting too sire, take a break, or mix up your running with more low impact options (elliptical trainer, water jogging).  Run shorter distances, on softer surfaces (treadmill, trails etc). Ice like crazy.  When in doubt, BACK OFF - avoid injuries.  I can't stress this enough...

Is this the correct link for your 15K ?

http://www.gate-riverrun.com/

I did not see a course map on the website.
I'm not familiar with Jacksonville, but I assume it is flat there.  Is that correct?

Race schedule:

As far as other races, and the number that makes sense....it would be good for you to also take a look at some of the earlier post s on this, but the short answer is that is unique for each person.  If you are having nagging injuries througout the season, you want to be sure that you do not to overdo it. You would be better off racing less, and trying to maintain a pretty consistent training routine with the goal of building fitness.

But it depends on you, and the goals that you have.

I raced alot my first year, had a variety of injuries, raced even more, loved it, but really put myself through more discomfort/pain than I should have.

It's a personal choice.  Maybe pick a late late summer and early fall olympic distance race.
Train throughout the year as if you are going to do these races, and really prepare.

As they each get closer, determine if you are "ready" and still healthy.  If the answer is yes to both questions (or if your desire to do them overrides all other factors) then go for it. 

I'm guessing that walking the 1/2 marathon with your friend will mean being on your feet around 3 hours.  Not too bad...that's 3 weeks before your race (March 8th, right?). That is week 7 of your training plan, and you are scheduled to have a "light" week that week.  I would not try to make up your 4 mile run that is originally scheduled for that day.  Consider swimming the next day for your cross-training.  It will rest your feet, and the swimming is great for loosening up the legs after being on your feet a lot. 

LadyGator - 2008-01-08 8:35 PM For the Gate training plan, I'm using one I found through the Gate's website I think... http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/15Knovsch.htmI started it Monday before last, so I'm on week 2 now..yay progress. however, I hope I'm not going in too hard too soon. I've had a history of problems with shin splints and I've been feeling them through some of my runs lately. I'm wondering if maybe a new pair of shoes would help that? For the suggested cross training workouts I'm usually going to be biking unless (or until) I have access to a pool. I'll probably be joining up with the Master's swim program in the next few weeks through UNF so that'll get me to the pool regularly. I'm going to try by the end of the week to pin point some target races throughout the year including some 5 and 10k's. What's a reasonable number of races to try for throughout a season? Also, a friend of mine asked me to walk the 26.2 with Donna 1/2 Marathon with her on Feb 17. With trying to train for the 15K less than a month later would that be a smart thing to do?
dhyte - 2008-01-08 7:26 PM

Hi Nancy,

Great embarrassing story !! We need more of those to keep each other entertained.

In my 1st race, I came into T2 go so fast that I laid down about a 15 foot skid mark at the dismount line. It was a miracle that I did not wipe out myself and the bike in the process (my rear tire instantly was destroyed in the process though). I felt pretty silly when the volunteers tore me up in front of all the spectators for my little boo-boo.

I definitely would consider scheduling a 5K before your 1st sprint, and then mix more in later in the season. If you are thinking of doing an Olympic, you should consider scheduling a 10K during your buildup also.

2008-01-09 12:35 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I'd like to have a re-occurring post in this thread that is updated with everyone's races.

We can use it to encourage each in our races. 

Please update with your info regularly.

I will start it off (add your info in):

Jan

1/12 dhyte - TCSD Club race (Duathlon

Feb

Mar

Apr

4/13  dhyte - Ironman Arizona 

May

Jun

6/1   dhyte - San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon 

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

11/2  dhyte - New York City Marathon 

Dec 

2008-01-09 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1142866

New user

Hi, Danny!

Yes, I am using the Michael Pates 22 week thing. Clearly, I'm going to have to modify it. The swimming starts out way too slowly for me at just 100-200 yards the first few weeks. Since the April triathlon is a short pool swim, I'm really not going to sweat that right now. I'll get in at least one swim a week, but it's not going to be my priority. As you suggested, I've already identified the run as my big problem, so I'm going to focus on that for now, with biking and swimming taking a backseat.

Finding the time is also tricky, but after this week I think I can get at least two treadmill or elliptical workouts and one outdoor walk/run in each week. (This week has been difficult. A old friend died suddenly last week and I've been tied up with all of that.) The outdoor workout will depend entirely on our lovely Wisconsin weather, of course. If I can't get outdoors, I can always hit the treadmill again, as the gym is only a few blocks away.

We will work in some short family runs as the weather clears up. (My daughter is too young to use the gym, so we'll have to wait until it's fit to run outside.) My husband and daughter are both runners/bikers, so I'm trying to help them out in the pool as much as I can. She managed 75 yards last weekend, but her stroke needs a LOT of work. My husband is a pretty decent swimmer, but has no clue how to pace himself. Just 100 yards left him gasping on the deck, even though he can run and bike for hours. Likewise, they're trying to help me get over my dislike of running!

I will keep up with my training log so you can see what I've been up to. If you have specific suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This week is a bit of a bust with family stuff and the funeral, but by the weekend things should be back to normal.

Laura

dhyte - 2008-01-08 2:51 PM

Hi Laura,

I just wanted to be clear which Training Plan you are following.  Are you using:

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week  ?

You may want to shorten the plan to about 14-15 weeks, do your 1st race, and then do more of a maintenance routine until the Danskin race.

You could blend the workouts for the 1st 2 weeks, and then jump into week 8 (or near there) of the training plan.  We could talk about some good ways to ease into it properly, and then also what would make sense after the April race.

Also, given that you said finding time to get in the workouts will be an issue, I would try to make running workouts your priority.  (This could include substituting elliptical, stair climber, treadmill, and water jogging to lesson the impact to your knees/ankles which you said give you some trouble.

I am a big proponent of identifying your key workouts, and committing to getting them in.  If the remaining workouts can be accomplished, that is excellent, but they are the workouts to be sacrificed if life is too busy. 

As far as the martial arts, I would just caution you to be cautious if you will be doing any sparring.  You need to ask yourself how much risk you want to take incurring any injury (thumb or elsewhere) and go from there.  For myself, as I get closer to a race, I will avoid plaing basketball or doing things that could potential derail my race.

How about some short family runs/jogs somewhere fun to keep the enthusiasm going?  Could do the trick.

Danny

lauawill42 - 2008-01-05 7:51 AM Hi, Danny! Yep, I'm totally psyched about the Danskin thing. I know it will be a humongous event, but uplifting as well. I'm trying to drag a couple of friends into it with me. They're both marathoners, but neither of them swims. So it'll be challenging for them as well. Since I don't want to get completely overwhelmed and lost in my first race, I've decided to do an indoor/outdoor one at the end of April with my husband. The distances are a bit shorter so it should be a good way to gauge how close I am to the Danskin distances. My husband is a bike commuter and a fitness runner, so this is going to be a piece of cake for him. The swim doesn't even scare him, since it's only 400 meters. With a little prodding, my daughter should be able handle the kids' event that same afternoon. I can't wait! My hand injury is now 18 months old. I got kicked during a sparring match and dislocated my right thumb. The first 6 months were the worst; I couldn't do much of anything at the dojang except watch. There was nothing the orthopod could repair, so I just had to work through all the physical therapy and hope for the best. At the beginning of 2007 it seemed to get a bit better, so I cautiously re-joined my regular training...and promptly got nailed again. (Both times were my fault. I have a tendency to block with an open hand, which leaves all my fingers hanging out there to be smashed. Not smart.) That's when I slid into the funk you mentioned. I trained on an off for the year, getting to the gym when I could, but my heart really wasn't in it. So the pounds just started packing on. Now I'm overweight and out of shape, but determined not to slide back into the funk. I'll be able to start taekwondo again in early February. I don't think the hand will bother me on the bike. I biked a lot this past summer and while it was usually sore afterwards, it wasn't insurmountable. At the gym I usually ride a recumbent to take the pressure off it, but I'll go back to the upright this week and see how it feels. I don't think it'll be a problem. And the run...Well, I won't concede the run yet, I guess. I'm going to start in on the 22-week couch to sprint this week, and since it starts with just walking, I'll hold off on bagging the run until I've actually attempted a few minutes of jogging. I played intermural basketball in both high school and college, so I know I CAN run if I have to. I just don't enjoy it. If I don't have a ball to chase, all I can think about when I run is how much I hate it! I will get to the finish line somehow, I promise! Laura

2008-01-09 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1144547

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Laura,

Even if you are working out hard, make sure to get planty of sleep/rest to help offset what has probably been a really tough week emotionally. 

Danny

lauawill42 - 2008-01-09 5:24 AM Hi, Danny! Yes, I am using the Michael Pates 22 week thing. Clearly, I'm going to have to modify it. The swimming starts out way too slowly for me at just 100-200 yards the first few weeks. Since the April triathlon is a short pool swim, I'm really not going to sweat that right now. I'll get in at least one swim a week, but it's not going to be my priority. As you suggested, I've already identified the run as my big problem, so I'm going to focus on that for now, with biking and swimming taking a backseat. Finding the time is also tricky, but after this week I think I can get at least two treadmill or elliptical workouts and one outdoor walk/run in each week. (This week has been difficult. A old friend died suddenly last week and I've been tied up with all of that.) The outdoor workout will depend entirely on our lovely Wisconsin weather, of course. If I can't get outdoors, I can always hit the treadmill again, as the gym is only a few blocks away. We will work in some short family runs as the weather clears up. (My daughter is too young to use the gym, so we'll have to wait until it's fit to run outside.) My husband and daughter are both runners/bikers, so I'm trying to help them out in the pool as much as I can. She managed 75 yards last weekend, but her stroke needs a LOT of work. My husband is a pretty decent swimmer, but has no clue how to pace himself. Just 100 yards left him gasping on the deck, even though he can run and bike for hours. Likewise, they're trying to help me get over my dislike of running! I will keep up with my training log so you can see what I've been up to. If you have specific suggestions, I'd love to hear them. This week is a bit of a bust with family stuff and the funeral, but by the weekend things should be back to normal. Laura
dhyte - 2008-01-08 2:51 PM

Hi Laura,

I just wanted to be clear which Training Plan you are following. Are you using:

Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week ?

You could blend the workouts for the 1st 2 weeks, and then jump into week 8 (or near there) of the training plan. We could talk about some good ways to ease into it properly, and then also what would make sense after the April race.

Also, given that you said finding time to get in the workouts will be an issue, I would try to make running workouts your priority. (This could include substituting elliptical, stair climber, treadmill, and water jogging to lesson the impact to your knees/ankles which you said give you some trouble.)

I am a big proponent of identifying your key workouts, and committing to getting them in. If the remaining workouts can be accomplished, that is excellent, but they are the workouts to be sacrificed if life is too busy.

As far as the martial arts, I would just caution you to be cautious if you will be doing any sparring. You need to ask yourself how much risk you want to take incurring any injury (thumb or elsewhere) and go from there. For myself, as I get closer to a race, I will avoid plaing basketball or doing things that could potential derail my race.

How about some short family runs/jogs somewhere fun to keep the enthusiasm going? Could do the trick.

Danny

2008-01-09 2:05 PM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX

Jan

1/12 dhyte - TCSD Club race (Duathlon)

Feb

2/23 txhokie – Cowtown 5k

Mar

3/15 txhokie – St. Patricks Day Sprint Triatholon

Apr

4/13 dhyte - Ironman Arizona

May

5/4 txhokie – Benbrook Sprint Triathlon

Jun

6/1 dhyte - San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon

Jul

Aug

8/10 txhokie – Annual Wool Capital Olympic Triathlon

Sep

Oct

Nov

11/2 dhyte - New York City Marathon
11/27 txhokie – Fort Worth Turkey Trot 10k

Dec

2008-01-10 11:29 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

C'mon guys...let's get this race calendar for the group going !

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov
11/2   dhyte   – New York City Marathon

Dec

2008-01-10 11:30 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Question for the group:

What is your biggest obstacle for achieving your triathlon goals?

Edited by dhyte 2008-01-10 11:30 AM
2008-01-10 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1147913

dhyte - 2008-01-10 11:30 AM

Question for the group:

Danny,

In my case I would say SWIMING On the good note, a friend of mine has volunteered to help me learn how to swim efficiently. She has been swiming for quite a while now, so any help that I can get on the swiming part..I take it

Mike

ps: I'll add my races as soon as I get home. And I'm getting new running shoes on payday (Tuesday) next week wooooooooo hooooooooo

Edited by MilkeC 2008-01-10 12:12 PM
2008-01-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1147913

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
dhyte - 2008-01-10 11:30 AM

Question for the group:

I think that it is my endurance. I have been looking at the more advance triathletes' logs on BT. They bike and run with a lower heart rate at faster speeds then I do.

Edited by Txhokie 2008-01-10 12:41 PM
2008-01-10 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
My addition to the group calendar:
Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May
5/18 sundevil87 - Butzbacher Schloss Triathlon (sprint) ( http://www.fw-sportmarketing.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=v... )

Jun
6/22 sundevil87 - EWR-Triathlon Lampertheim (sprint) ( http://www.triathlon-lampertheim.de/)

Jul

Aug
8/24 sundevil87 - Fuldataler Triathlon (olympic) ( http://www.fuldataler-triathlon.de/)

Sep
10/28 sundevil87 - Berlin Marathon

Oct

Nov
11/2 dhyte – New York City Marathon

Dec

Edited by sundevil87 2008-01-10 2:46 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14