BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-12 12:34 AM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!
Welcome new members. Already the added discussion is fun to see.

2008-01-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1151388

User image

Modesto, California
guncollector - 2008-01-11 4:32 PM

nevergivin - 2008-01-11 4:18 PM

Awesome run advice, I only do a couple of the numerous things you listed. I did get the DVD Evolution Running two days ago, I will watch it this weekend. I buy my shoes at Roadrunner, high arch & neutral gate(Asic Gel Cumulus 9). Not sure of a stretching program for runs, before or after?

Roadrunner Sports brick & mortar?  Or RRS online?  I ask, only, because at least once you should have an expert actually WATCH YOUR run gait and recommend a few shoes to try on and run in. 

RRS's "Shoe Dog" (online shoe wizard) has its limits...for instance...it always recommends to me to buy heavy Motion Control shoes...but I find I'm better off with Stability or Stability+.

Anyway, if knee/ankle/hip/back pain isn't an issue, your shoes are probably ok.

Stretching is always done AFTER a warm-up or after your complete workout.  Never BEFORE.  Never stretch cold muscles.

I go to Roadrunner Sports, I tend to stick with places that know what they are doing and offer great value. I have been to others but I get a weird feeling that they are pushing a certain brand for promotions. I wear the Neutral + Shoes and have the following. 1.Addidas Adistar cush 6(2nd fav)2.Saucony Progrid Triumph 5(least Fav)3.Nike Airmax Moto +5(3rd Fav)4.Asics Gel Cumulas 9(Most Fav). Although the Asics is super lite I love the cushion.

Also what stretches do you do, I am doing most of my runs at the track beside young speedsters so I need to look like a runner doing them and not an over-aged non runner father.

Oh, and I do have knee issues, I have to be very careful when running not to get sloppy and my knees always get sore on my long runs. I think my weight is my biggest contributer, I would like to be around 175-180 and currently about 192-195.

2008-01-13 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
FYI I have to take a couple of days off per the doc but should be back training by mid week.
Scott H.

Edited by holt1997 2008-01-13 6:59 PM
2008-01-13 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Small Town
Hey Everyone,

I'm still here and I check this thread regularly and have been reading the postings. For those who do not know about my current situation, read my training notes and for further detail and updates read this:

http://maebug.blogspot.com/

My mother has a brain tumor and since Dec 26, 07 the dr.'s decided that chemo would no longer be effective and could be more-so detrimental as it made her sick. Over the last week and a half her condition has significantly declined and hospice has taken over care in my parents home. My brother and I have stayed with my father at his house for the last few days. Our extended family has been supportive too. But we've been taking shifts with her so someone is always awake sitting near her or holding her hand. She is not able to talk anymore (only since this last week) and she has minimal movement of the rest of her body. She has progressed to not being able to swallow, not even small amounts of water. She is total care. The last few days have been very stressful and we are lacking the essentials ourselves.

She's 49 years old, just a few months away from her 50th birthday. A birthday she was looking forward to. We know her condition and her future.

I'm not asking for any sympathy, but I just wanted to let you know where I am. I still plan to run my planned few races this year. But this week and next will probably be minimal in training.

Thanks for your encouragement, support and prayers. I'll continue to be watching and reading here as well as posting info.
2008-01-13 11:08 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Jeremy,

Our thoughts and prayers are with your mother and family. 

2008-01-14 8:44 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Wow Jeremy, Hang in there! Very sad news.

2008-01-14 9:47 AM

New user

New Jersey
Hey Ron. Don't know if there is room for one more but if so, I'd like in please.

I'm a noob and am trying to train for the Black Bear Tri in June in NJ (going for the sprint first to get use to it). I have sooooo many questions I don't know where to start.

I have started to run 2 miles every other day. Strength training on Wednesday, soon to increase to Monday and Friday as well. I have not found a pool yet and need to modify my bike (yet another question) but do have a few months to shake it all out.

I need inspiration as I don't have support at home (long story) and am saying to hell with it and going for it. I'm 38, married, I have a 5 y/o daughter and am physically fit. I've been using the training log since last week (just started) so you can have a check. Thanks!
2008-01-14 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hey Jeremy,
I am praying for you and your family.

Scott H.
2008-01-14 2:31 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Jeremy,

So sorry to hear that. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Scott R
2008-01-14 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1154386

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

matthewmac - 2008-01-14 7:47 AM Hey Ron. Don't know if there is room for one more but if so, I'd like in please. I'm a noob and am trying to train for the Black Bear Tri in June in NJ (going for the sprint first to get use to it). I have sooooo many questions I don't know where to start. I have started to run 2 miles every other day. Strength training on Wednesday, soon to increase to Monday and Friday as well. I have not found a pool yet and need to modify my bike (yet another question) but do have a few months to shake it all out. I need inspiration as I don't have support at home (long story) and am saying to hell with it and going for it. I'm 38, married, I have a 5 y/o daughter and am physically fit. I've been using the training log since last week (just started) so you can have a check. Thanks!

Matthew,

Welcome aboard! 

2008-01-15 7:35 AM

User image

Modesto, California

I watched Evolution running DVD this past weekend, is anyone familiar with this method of running?

I tried it at the track last night, it seemed simple enough doing some running in place drills, but actual running was a different story. I find it difficult to bring my legs up behind me toward my butt, however I am sore in my glutes and hamstrings and not my knees today, so I guess I'm on the right track! The whole cadence thing does not seem like a big deal, I tarted at 170 and stayed fairly consistent until the last 1.5 of 5 miles.

I looked into Evolution Running because of my lack of running form and soreness of knees on longer runs. Has anyone else followed Evolution Running?

This past weekend I also modified my Specialized road bike so that it is more comfortable in the aero position. Changing out the seat post and aerobars has made a huge difference and it is way more comfortable! I went to a Profile Design Carbon forward seat post and Profile Design T2+ bars. My geometry is very close to a tri bike, I can notice an immediate difference in the pedal angle and it is very comfortable to get down on the bars. I can change back to my road bike configuration in a matter of minutes so I'm very pleased with the modification!

2008-01-15 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1156691

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Stu,
I read excerpts from websites and books on Chi, Pose and Evolution running, more or less all the same principles, IMHO.  I forget which one it was but, one of then stated practice in sand or dirt if possible and lean forward, this forces you to rotate the hips to lift up the leg, think football player running through tires.  I did this a few times and that's when it came to me.  The act of lifting up your knee and dropping your foot down requires your core to get more involved.

Good job on the cadence, I'm usually at 170 on my training runs these days, I use to be less then that and had sore thighs from too much vertical motion or calfs from too much heal strike.    Today my form has modified to the point of max efficency for me, I notice that when my HR is getting high and I'm struggling a bit that I can refocus, by counting strides, feel on my hips rotate to initiate the pull and lift of my knees a bit more and my HR will settle down ~ 5 bpm without loosing speed.

Regarding your bike, sounds like you found the sweet spot!  Opening up you hips while getting more aero on a RB will allow you to hit the run a lot fresher.  Just be careful when looking over your shoulder while on the AB as the RB frame geometry (rake) is different than a TB and is a lot more twitchy, unstable.  Otherwise you have the perfect blend of functionality.  I would suggest a fitting for both positions so you have a direct reference to switch back and for between.

BTW, your rocking your training!

2008-01-15 10:27 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Thanks Don, just trying to be at the level I feel I should be at. Also trying to get down to 180 and currently at 195.

When is the best time to incorporate drills, I really need to work on my lean and hip rotation to bring my legs up. I am not sure if its bad but I have a extremely short stride which does not allow my knees to come up high or go back far. The runners on the DVD make it look way too easy. Last night 4.8 Miles seemed to take forever, I cant imagine what its like to train for a marathon.

2008-01-15 5:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
BIke question:

I hava a tri bike and a road bike. Are there courses where one is more appropriate over another. If it is a hilly course is a road bike more appropriate? I guess my question is if a tri bike is more aero why aren't the Lance Armstrongs of the world riding one? I understand there are differences in the angles of a tri bike compared to a road bike . I guess I don't understand why this design benefits us and not people who ride bikes in other situations.
Scott H.

Edited by holt1997 2008-01-15 5:24 PM
2008-01-15 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1158359

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

holt1997 - 2008-01-15 6:24 PM BIke question: I hava a tri bike and a road bike. Are there courses where one is more appropriate over another. If it is a hilly course is a road bike more appropriate? I guess my question is if a tri bike is more aero why aren't the Lance Armstrongs of the world riding one? I understand there are differences in the angles of a tri bike compared to a road bike . I guess I don't understand why this design benefits us and not people who ride bikes in other situations. Scott H.

You need to think Harley V-twin cruiser frame and a Honda CBR sport bike frame!  One is made for quick turns and handling, the other is a dream to sit on and cruise.  Some goes for TB vs RB.

Pro riders do ride TT/Tri type frame geometries (per ITU rules), in TT (time trails) for the aero advantage. In a pack though a TB is not comfortable as the leg/hip/torso angle is not made for riding up on the handlebars.  Also it's a safety issue with aerobars in close quaters, that is why ITU trialthons (Olympics) where they allow drafting the bike cannot have open aerobars and such.  That said I know of at least one 70.3 tri that the triathletes use a RB, Monaco, it fits exactly into what Bikesport says below.  There is a lot of threads on this issue on BT if you search around.

Also the design benefits us because we have to get off and run!  Out there somewhere in web-land is a study that shows for Pro-elite level triathletes that a TB not only saved some time in the bike due to better aero positioning, but amazingly saved up to 5 minutes in the 10k run, with most of that saving coming in the first half of the run.  That's how much fresher the leg muscles are vs RB setup.  5 minutes is huge in an Oly distance for elites.  Now are we getting 5 min worth, doubtful, but I know I can hammer on a TB and get off and run better than when I had my RB!

From Bikesport:

While triathlon bikes offer a strong set of advantages for anyone wishing to ride comfortably in the aero position, it is important to be familiar with the limitations of the triathlon geometry.

Triathlon frames are at their best when riding on flat to rolling terrain (like most of Michigan, Northern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois), where there is no need for high speed cornering, and where the cyclist will not be relying on other riders to draft off of. If comfort and efficiency are your primary concern, a triathlon geometry frame may be a good choice.

Triathlon frames are not intended for use in group rides where drafting at close proximity and lightening fast handling are important. Triathlon frames are not optimized for high speed cornering, such as criteriums. Triathlon geometry bikes climb best when using a different technique than road climbing.

2008-01-16 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hi Ron and group,
I am setting up my weight training program and on page one I asked about weights and you gave a list of the exercises you do. You mentioned "core" as one of your exercises. Could define this for me? Everything else I understand but I am not sure what you mean by core. Thanks,
Scott

2008-01-16 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1159309

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

holt1997 - 2008-01-16 10:34 AM Hi Ron and group, I am setting up my weight training program and on page one I asked about weights and you gave a list of the exercises you do. You mentioned "core" as one of your exercises. Could define this for me? Everything else I understand but I am not sure what you mean by core. Thanks, Scott

Core is all encompassing for your midsection and very important as Ron stated.  BT has some good, no rephrase, great stuff on this in the Articles section (see top of your log).

I started with this routine last March, killer WO.  Since then I've derived 3 main core WO templates from this by adding in some other exercises so that I don't get bored with the same routine.   

2008-01-16 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I just went through and looked at the different core exercises. Would it be best to do my regular workout on M,W,F and do core on T, Th? With 15 core exercises and some others as alternates I could be in the gym for quite a while and have difficulty doing the other exercises well if I was that tired from the core stuff. Wow Tri training is a lot, but I am really enjoying it.
2008-01-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1159629

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

holt1997 - 2008-01-16 12:53 PM I just went through and looked at the different core exercises. Would it be best to do my regular workout on M,W,F and do core on T, Th? With 15 core exercises and some others as alternates I could be in the gym for quite a while and have difficulty doing the other exercises well if I was that tired from the core stuff. Wow Tri training is a lot, but I am really enjoying it.

I do core as a dedicated WO.  I include stretching between exercises, Pilates and some Yoga to.  I often will use a core WO as a primer before a run, this gets my core temp up and I'm loose and ready to go.

Something to be aware of.  When I first started in 04 I was lifting more often then I do these days.  I have a fixed amount of time to WO with each week, +/- an hour or 2.  My pendulum has shifted to more endurance training and I use my core WO as my "lifting" exercising.  In my core WO I include pullups, deadlifts and once in awhile Squats.  You'll find camps on both side of the fence for this issue, I do what I can!

2008-01-16 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1151336

User image

Modesto, California
nevergivin - 2008-01-11 3:59 PM

I finished entering my training plan up to my first race, I am not sure how to approach my training in between my races for the rest of the year. Currently I am doing the Sprint to Oly plan. Once your plan ends what is the best way to plug in training, lots of blank spots on my planned calender! What do you think? Should I wait until I get closer to May and evaluate my conditioning? Toward the end of summer I am starting a 1/2 Mary program.

I work around 75 hours a week and spend every other week in L.A. so I don't like to sound anal with training, but planning ahead makes a huge difference for me.

Can I get a input on this ? The reason I ask is I want to make sure I have everything laid out to include my other races which I am waiting to register on, , maybe get some feedback on race schedule also ? As of now I am registered for my first three races this year and 1/2 Mary in October.

2008-01-16 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1160476

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
nevergivin - 2008-01-16 3:01 PM
nevergivin - 2008-01-11 3:59 PM

I finished entering my training plan up to my first race, I am not sure how to approach my training in between my races for the rest of the year. Currently I am doing the Sprint to Oly plan. Once your plan ends what is the best way to plug in training, lots of blank spots on my planned calender! What do you think? Should I wait until I get closer to May and evaluate my conditioning? Toward the end of summer I am starting a 1/2 Mary program.

I work around 75 hours a week and spend every other week in L.A. so I don't like to sound anal with training, but planning ahead makes a huge difference for me.

Can I get a input on this ? The reason I ask is I want to make sure I have everything laid out to include my other races which I am waiting to register on, , maybe get some feedback on race schedule also ? As of now I am registered for my first three races this year and 1/2 Mary in October.

If I'm reading your Blog correctly, it looks like you're race schedule is as follows:

5/08 - Wildflower

8/08 - Folsom Oly

9/08 - Pacific Grove Oly

So, you've got a 2-to-2.5 months to "fill in" between Wildflower and Folsom.

First of all, Wildflower is going to be the toughest race on your schedule. Period. Tougher than the half-mary you're planning to run in Dec. I haven't done the race (work-scheduling conflict for me every year), but know plenty of people who've raced it and the feedback is universally the same...tough. Hilly. Windy. Hot.

I'd say take a week off after the race...some light, active recovery if you must, then spend the next 2.5 months or so before Folsom doing an Olympic maintenance-type training plan--gradually extending your runs in preparation for your half-mary in Dec. If you find you need to "cut back" on something, then cut out one bike or one swim session each week.

But, whatever you do, don't stop biking or swimming. You can cut back on them, or alternate swim- or bike-emphasis weeks. You'll have built a nice base of sport-specific fitness up to Wildflower, so don't throw it away.

Funny thing about triathlon training, though, is you just don't know where your fitness level will be in May/June. When I started in Summer '06, I was training a Couch-to-Sprint in May '07. By June '07 I was shooting for a Half-Iron in Sept. My point isn't to boast, but to show the amazing synergy that is triathlon training. If you train and rest correctly, you will build fitness oftentimes more quickly than you can imagine.

Good luck!

Edited by guncollector 2008-01-16 7:41 PM

2008-01-16 11:02 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Thanks so much , all of your points I would have completely overlooked. I know Wildflower will be tough, I am really looking forward to it. I will plug in some training over the next week or so and then maybe you can take a peek again.
2008-01-16 11:21 PM

User image

Regular
Hi, I've been following this forum thread and I would love to have you as my mentor and all of you as my mentor group if there's still room.

My name's Faeron, I'm 22, about 5'8" and 145lbs, and I live and work in LA. I'm completely new to triathlons, I just ran my first marathon in December (Honolulu) and really enjoyed it, which was a big step for me, I was not athletic in high school or college (I did band so I wouldn't have to do PE). Some of my marathon friends do tri's as well and I thought it would be a good challenge now that I've realized that I really can be (somewhat) athletic. I have some background in swimming but I haven't ridden a bike in 7 or 8 years and I'm in the process of relearning it. I usually run 3 times a week but I could really use some help figuring out how to get the swimming and riding in, how far I should go, etc. My first goal for '08 is the Pasadena reverse tri (5k/15k/150m) and after that I don't have a specific race although I'd like to do an olympic by the end of the year. Right now I think the bike is my weak event, but I'm sure I could do with some improvement all around and I know I'll need a lot of advice!

2008-01-17 3:29 AM

User image

Melon Presser

[brief hijack]

Faeron, you can't do better than Ron & Don and the rest of these fine fluffy fellows.

Donto--Faeron's my running partner, and you know all the stuff I post around here--you can only imagine the kind of patience and fortitude she has listening to all that carp for like, 20 miles.

Ron--thank you so much for doing a mentor group. Great topics in here and I will be lurking!

[/brief hijack]

2008-01-17 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1161161

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

nevergivin - 2008-01-17 12:02 AM Thanks so much , all of your points I would have completely overlooked. I know Wildflower will be tough, I am really looking forward to it. I will plug in some training over the next week or so and then maybe you can take a peek again.

BTW, a good rule of thumb for post race is take a day off for every hour raced, then ramp back up slowly as you recover, basically inverse of the taper.

I looked your planned chart volumes, are you following a training plan or doing it yourself and working around a personal schedule?  Some weeks in the next few months I question, such as at the end of Feb where you have 2 weeks of 400 &415 minutes then jumping up to 610, then back down again to 370 min followed by 2 more at ~580 min.   Your doing a lot with running volume in the big weeks vs the lower vol weeks, just be careful.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15